PDA

View Full Version : Smoothest / Most Drinkable Bourbons

fogfrog
12-05-2005, 12:23
I have been trying to drink my Evan Williams 7YO on the rocks but don't really like it. Before I go out and buy something else I don't like, I am curious what Bourbons are the easiest to drink?

I found I liked the 7YO beBm maybe because it was sweet and easy to drink on the rocks. In my history, I used to like Scotch on the Rocks.

I am curious which are the most drinkable Bourbons either straight or on the rocks?

jburlowski
12-05-2005, 12:31
Basil Hayden (much maligned on this board) is very easy on the palette... it is what I typically use to "introduce" bourbons to the uninitiated. Elmer T. Lee (if available in your area) is also easy-going because of its "sweeter" profile. These are both "premium" bourbons.

At a lower price, I'd suggest Buffalo Trace, Maker's Mark, or one of the Weller products.

barturtle
12-05-2005, 12:50
Maker's Mark(also much maligned on this board) is also quite smooth. Elijah Craig 18yo I also find quite smooth.

Wade
12-05-2005, 13:48
I'm with you on the Evan Williams Black. I usually drink my bourbon neat but this is one that I just can't stand straight up. It even made the Beam Black I drank after it taste bad. I was going to try it on ice to see if it made it any better. Fortunately, I only spent 6 bucks on it so I have no problem relegating this one to coke mixing.

To me Beam Black is pretty darn smooth and is one of my everyday bourbons. I referred to it as liquid candy when I first started drinking it. I'll usually buy the 1.75L of this one when I see it on sale.

Wade

Vange
12-05-2005, 13:52
I am a relative newbie to the world of bourbon, but I ramp up fast!

I recently went to a wedding and didn't like their choice of vodka, all they had was absolut. I ended up going with a Maker's Mark neat. Wow, what a bite! I could not drink it neat so I switched to it on the rocks. It went down much smoother, but still had a bite.

I really like to drink most of my spirits neat. I even drink my bookers 8 yo (120+ proof) neat and it doesn't have the bite that the MM had.

As for smooth and in a good price range go for the VW SR 12 yo Lot B. Great stuff!

Just my 2 cents from a newbie.

BobA
12-05-2005, 15:04
Well, the first two that came to my mind were Basil Hayden and Maker's Mark. I prefer the taste of the BH (but not its price), but since you seem to like sweetness, I'd say try the MM. At a lower price, you might give Old Charter 8 yr. old a chance. I'm pretty sure I've seen reference to it in KS, and many describe it as sweet (not the first description that comes to my mind, but I see what they mean). You should be able to get the OC 10 yr., or even the 12 yr., at less than the MM. The OC 12 is a particular favorite of mine.

Bob

P.s. Another budget try is Rebel Yell. I would call it "soft" rather than "smooth," because there can be some harshness, but it is sweet, at it's best over ice, and at 80 proof, just can't kick too hard anyway.

TNbourbon
12-05-2005, 15:22
Basil Hayden (much maligned on this board)...

I think the biggest problem most of us have regarding Basil Hayden's is the price -- $35-$40 for an 80-proofer is just asking too much. I can't think of an 80-proof bourbon within $10 of it for a 750ml. As for the whiskey itself, I like it a lot, and would buy it at, say, $20-$25.
Weller 12yo is very mellow and sweet, and Jim Beam Black and Buffalo Trace are easy-drinking on the rye-recipe side. Among lower-end premiums, try Eagle Rare 10yo Single Barrel.

Chaz7
12-05-2005, 16:28
Like so much on this site, it's subjective. Since you mentioned Even 7yo, I thought you were only into price. As a scotch drinker, you will find the Basil Hayden's a bargain. I like Weller Antique. At 107 proof, it's very smooth. I always add a drop of water to my single malts, yet with bourbon, it's always neat. Most scotch clocks in around the 80-90 proof. So it's all going to be relative. Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year is wonderful, as is Buffalo Trace. And both of these are at 90 proof. But, sometimes proof has nothing to do with smoothness; there are some 90 proofers that burn, and some high proofers (Old Grand Dad 100, Old Rip Van Winkle 107, and the aforementioned Weller Antique) that are incredibly smooth.

fogfrog
12-05-2005, 16:30
Yeah Tim thanks. Do you have a brother named Larry in Kansas City? I guess it takes some tasting to figure out what you like. I do like the Jim Beam black label and at 16.30 a fifth I figure its a good deal. I don't know if there are any other smooth bourbons in this price range. I like this stuff. It seems like sometime in my life I tried bourbon and this is what I remembered it should taste like. JB Black is truly excellent IMO. Of course I haven't tasted much thats out there so from a very limited experience and a very new taster, I like it.

Paul C.

kbuzbee
12-05-2005, 18:34
I ended up going with a Maker's Mark neat. Wow, what a bite! I could not drink it neat so I switched to it on the rocks. It went down much smoother, but still had a bite.

Evangelos, I don't know anyone whose had that reaction to Maker's. That's interesting. May have just been your taste buds that day. There are days when nothing tastes good to me (few of them, thankfully). There are people who say it needs more zip, more age or whatever. I usually like it well enough.

As to fogfrog's original question, I think you'll find your definitions will change over time. When I first started drinking whiskey (a LONG time ago) I liked Jack Daniels. Mostly because it was smooth. That was my main criteria. Now I go for drinks with a much larger flavor profile (like Kentucky Spirit or Tribute). To me those are amazingly smooth, but I wouldn't have thought so 30 years ago. I've changed. My perceptions have changed. Advice here on Maker's, Weller and Elmer T. Lee (to me the most "smooth") are right on. Will that mean they will be what you want in a few years? Maybe, but probably not. Enjoy the journey!

Ken

ratcheer
12-05-2005, 18:47
Ken, MM is the same to me as it is to him and I'm pretty sure I've said it, here, before. Harsh and unenjoyable. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/hot.gif

Tim

barturtle
12-05-2005, 19:03
Actually thinking back to the last time I had Makers, I didn't like it and it was kinda harsh. I do believe that it has become too young. I don't drink it often-Okay, so I've turned my nose up at it and drank beer (Budweiser, no less!) instead. I'm gonna withdrawn my recommendation and replace it with Old Charter 12yo.

It's hard to change your memory, I'll probably always think of Makers as a light smooth drink, even though my subconscience tells me not to drink it. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/lol.gif

gr8erdane
12-05-2005, 20:07
Paul,
I'd recommend our December Bourbon of the Month, Elijah Craig 12 yo in that price range. It comes from the same place as EW but has a whole different taste profile IMHO. Not sure where you shop in KC but either Royal or Lukas Superstores should carry it at a good price. Shoot, at my St Louis area Lukas I have bought 1.75s of EC 12 for around 30.00. Some love it, some hate it but I think it's reasonable enough to give a chance.

camduncan
12-05-2005, 20:28
I couldn't agree more Dane.
Personally, I think Elijah Craig 12yo and Evan Williams Single Barrel are 2 fantastic examples of different flavour profiles from the same distillery. (My other favourite example is from BT, but that's a different post)

NYtaster
12-05-2005, 20:30
I know I'm a "newbie" and all but maybe thats a good thing in this case, I can still remember my early bottles. The one that moved me away from a long term relationship with Old Number 7 was Woodford Reserve. I still get a bottle once in a while and I think this a great bourbon to start on even with its somewhat high price.

Tim

"I'm and optimist, even if the glass is half empty, there's still more in the bottle!!!!!"

Geo
12-05-2005, 21:15
Smoothest/Most Drinkable...?

Hands down... Old Rip Van Winkle 15 yr 107.

Most loved: Drank a few ounces tonight... George T Stagg (spring '05) mmmmmmm...

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/yum.gif

kbuzbee
12-06-2005, 08:52
Most loved: Drank a few ounces tonight... George T Stagg (spring '05) mmmmmmm...
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/yum.gif

Interesting coincidence, I had a nice 5 ounce pour of GTS last night as well. Straight up. What an intense flavor it has. Sweet, smokey, chewy. Just wonderful.

Ken

kbuzbee
12-06-2005, 09:00
Actually thinking back to the last time I had Makers, I didn't like it and it was kinda harsh. I do believe that it has become too young. I don't drink it often-Okay, so I've turned my nose up at it and drank beer (Budweiser, no less!) instead. I'm gonna withdrawn my recommendation and replace it with Old Charter 12yo.

It's hard to change your memory, I'll probably always think of Makers as a light smooth drink, even though my subconscience tells me not to drink it. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Maybe it's a candidate for someone's rebarreling project?? I had an interesting experience the other day. Tried a pour of the Jack Daniels 1954 Belgium. Didn't care for it much. Normally I would have gone for KS to clean my palate but for some reason I picked up an open bottle of Maker's. It was the best Maker's had tasted in ages. Maybe Maker's is younger and not as good as it used to be. And maybe we have come to try so many GREAT Bourbons that it just doesn't stand out the way it used to. Probably both. Still don't see it as harsh though and I WILL take a pour if somone offers it.

Ken

jburlowski
12-06-2005, 10:28
I think that you are right about MM becoming younger over the past few years. A victim of their marketing success perhaps?

tmas
12-06-2005, 11:05
Old Rip 15 yr, I'll second that George, not only supper smooth, but super delicious! Tom V

NYtaster
12-06-2005, 17:33
Today I opened a bottle of 10 Yr EW Single Barrel. It is nothing if not smooth, ie. not harsh, but that is all I can say is positive about this pour. I am afraid the smoothness comes at the expense of taste in this case.

I find that the most drinkable bourbons I have tried are any of the VanWinkle bottles, at any price point.

Just the ramblings of a novice!!

Tim (Seems to be a popular name around here)
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/lol.gif

BrbnBorderline
12-09-2005, 15:56
For a bourbon novice, I always recommend Ancient Age. For $10-12, you can't go wrong, and it has a nice vanilla taste.

The discontinued Eagle Rare 101 is very smooth also.

Without a doubt, the smoothest bourbon I've ever had was Weller Antique 107 with 10-15% WT Rye mixed in. It was so smooth, it was dangerous. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/yum.gif

fogfrog
12-09-2005, 18:02
are you saying that bottom shelf Ancient Ancient Age? I know there are different offerings.

mshanzz
12-09-2005, 18:51
EWSB 10 yr olds, from years 1989 http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/icon_pidu.gif http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/icon_pidu.gif to 1995 smooth and enjoyable. You have to agree with that choice.

"Don't give up don't ever give up"

Mike

smokinjoe
12-09-2005, 22:49
Right on for the Evan Williams Single Barrel! http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/bowdown.gifIt's hard to beat the smoothness, taste, and depth of just about any of the iterations of EWSB. The 1995 is very good. My favorite is the 1994, followed by the 1987, but all are terrific. And to top it off, you can get this World Class Whiskey for $20. Amazing!!
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/toast.gif
JOE

fogfrog
12-10-2005, 09:31
EWSB must be popular because it is sold out in my liquor store. Will have to check another store.

brian12069
12-11-2005, 06:39
Smoothest/Most Drinkable...?

Hands down... Old Rip Van Winkle 15 yr 107.

I have to agree with that, always will be my favorite!

Isoflex
12-11-2005, 20:50
IMHO, Basil Hayden is the smoothest....and I believe this is the reason it is somewhat maligned on this board. It isn't a "bad" bourbon by any means but to me it is too smooth.

Bamber
12-12-2005, 10:51
Four Roses SB 43% is light and fruity.
Evan Williams SB 1994 was quite light I seem to remember

I have to disagree about Pappy 15yo. Delicious, fantastic and flavour packed, but not easy drinking IMO. I'm not sure a barrel proof 15yo bourbon is the way for a beginner to go ....

brian12069
12-12-2005, 15:55
I have to disagree about Pappy 15yo. Delicious, fantastic and flavour packed, but not easy drinking IMO. I'm not sure a barrel proof 15yo bourbon is the way for a beginner to go ....

Actually, what we said was the Rip Van Winkle 15 yr 107 not the Pappy... http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif....is it really barrel proof?

TNbourbon
12-12-2005, 17:53
...the Rip Van Winkle 15 yr 107 not the Pappy... http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif....is it really barrel proof?

No.

brian12069
12-12-2005, 18:04
I didn't think so but he said it...

ratcheer
12-12-2005, 18:57
After watching this thread for a while, I have my answer: Blanton's. Smooth, drinkable, and it still has excellent flavor.

Tim

brian12069
12-12-2005, 19:07
After watching this thread for a while, I have my answer: Blanton's. Smooth, drinkable, and it still has excellent flavor.

Tim

wrong...Blanton's is over-rated...not bad, but definately over-rated

camduncan
12-12-2005, 19:11

Tim

wrong...Blanton's is over-rated...not bad, but definately over-rated

I have to agree with Tim, I think Blantons is a great taste, goes down smooth and is priced at a point in Australian market that I'm more than happy to pay.

TNbourbon
12-12-2005, 19:32
...wrong...

If there was a 'right' or 'wrong' here, there would be only one correct answer, yet plenty of folks have offered different suggestions. Now, there's plenty of room for ' in my opinion...' and 'in your opinion...' ... http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/duel.gif

purpleace
12-12-2005, 19:57
For the money, I find Buffalo Trace very smooth. I also think Weller 10 yr. is quite smooth.

Bamber
12-13-2005, 01:57
...the Rip Van Winkle 15 yr 107 not the Pappy... http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif....is it really barrel proof?

No.

Whilst tipping my cap to Tim, for so graciously pointing out my most heinous crime of abusing the phrase 'barrel proof' I would argue that 107 proof is often referred to as barrel proof as it is way above the average strength that spirits are bottled at.

And yes sorry Brian I misquoted you there - I meant the Rip Van Winkle too.... My name is Sion or Bamber but 'he' is fine !

nysquire
12-13-2005, 05:30
I have to put in my two cents on this....
All of the Pappy Bourbons are OUTSTANDING.
The Antique Weller 7yo is probably the best 7yo
Boubon I have ever had......Has more than alot of other
10 or 12yo's as far as taste and smoothness....
The Weller Centennial 12yo is excellent(esp if you can find a bottle from the Louisville distillery).
Old Rip VanWinkle 10yo 107 squat is nice and there is no better Bourbon than the Old Rip VanWinkle 15yo squat.(wish I could find some more of this). Looking forward to opening my 20yo pappy for the holidays, only lasts about 7 days, so I have to wait until we get closer to X-mas...
Enjoy, because that is what I believe Pappy would want us to do..... http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/toast.gif

TNbourbon
12-13-2005, 21:06
...Whilst tipping my cap to Tim, for so graciously pointing out my most heinous crime of abusing the phrase 'barrel proof'...

Simply answering a question posed (by another poster) -- no intent to offend. Sorry it seems to have done so.

Bamber
12-14-2005, 04:28
No problem Tim.

brian12069
12-15-2005, 19:42
And yes sorry Brian I misquoted you there - I meant the Rip Van Winkle too.... My name is Sion or Bamber but 'he' is fine !

Son, I was just trying to be clear. I am a big Van Winkle fan and to me, there is a difference between the Pappy and The Old Rip Van Winkle. Although both are very, very good...the Old Rip Van Winkle is a very easy to drink, full flavored bourbon. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

Bamber
12-16-2005, 07:36
Same to you Brian (Happy Holidays) - I know you love that stuff http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

elkdoggydog
02-01-2006, 00:10
I saw the top of this thread and thought "You need to try EWSB." Lo and behold, I get to the bottom of the thread and find I'm only hopping on the bandwagon. Great bourbon, unreal price.
Also, pour a whiskey neat, or with just a little water, and let it sit for a few minutes, to breathe, etc. It's hard to let it be for a few minutes, but I think it makes for a better drink.
I'll also echo the Basil Hayden's tip for a smooth whiskey, though as others have mentioned, it's not the greatest value in terms of proof. Value, though, is more accurately measured by enjoyment, and you may really like it. It comes in airplane bottles if you want to try it without forking out. I gave a bottle to my dad, whose every day pour alternates between EW 7 YO and EW 1783 (or some year thereabouts), and he's loving it- can't get over how smooth it is.

1holegrouper
02-01-2006, 07:11
EWSB '96 is one of the smoothest bourbons I've had. It also is a great price. If Basil Hayden's was priced similarly then they would be competitive with each other on the shelf IMHO. Also, ETL, the BOTM last month has a smoothness yet complexity that may still make it an attractive pour for those who tend to dislike bourbons that are "too smooth".

Virus_Of_Life
02-02-2006, 00:53
I was thinking along the same lines apparently as most here: Basil Hayden's, which like many here, I find almost repulsive. Bourbon IMHO, just isn't supposed to be that smooth - THAT is why I quit drinking scotch. Also I find MM to be incredibly smooth and considering it's less expensive and IMO better tasting I'd buy (well really I never would) buy it over BH if I was looking for something very smooth... I am with most here, for what BH cost there is no way I ever have and never will buy a bottle of that stuff.

I have not yet, but will buy a bottle this weekend, tried EWSB. I love EW whatever that regular black label is called, so I can only imagine EWSB is better.

Also ETL is great, to me it's not quite as smooth, but very very good!

ProofPositive
02-02-2006, 00:55
I am arriving very late here....but, have to put in my 2 cents worth. If one can afford it, I would also go with the ORVW 15yo. However, if availability or the budget is a problem, I would fall back to VWSR 12yo.....very smooth, very subtle IMHO. If that is still too expensive, then go for the Weller Antique 107 or better yet the Weller 12yo - and, MM is definitely in the running as well....can't go wrong with any of those.

nor02lei
02-02-2006, 11:46
I think the easiest drinking bourbons I have tried are G Dickel RX bourbon 80 proof and AAA 10Y 80 proof. But this is partly because of the low proof. I think both of them would have been very much better at a higher proof.

Leif

reg
02-02-2006, 12:13
Buffalo Trace is Iron them out smooth. No wrinkles.

ProofPositive
02-02-2006, 14:02
I am arriving very late here....but, have to put in my 2 cents worth. If one can afford it, I would also go with the ORVW 15yo. However, if availability or the budget is a problem, I would fall back to VWSR 12yo.....very smooth, very subtle IMHO. If that is still too expensive, then go for the Weller Antique 107 or better yet the Weller 12yo - and, MM is definitely in the running as well....can't go wrong with any of those.

After opening the EWSB '95 last night, I must interject that selection into the above mix.....and, I put it ahead of the Wellers. If EWSB '96 is better (don't have any yet), then I would elevate it into the upper echelon with the VWSR.

elkdoggydog
02-02-2006, 14:24
I was thinking along the same lines apparently as most here: Basil Hayden's, which like many here, I find almost repulsive. Bourbon IMHO, just isn't supposed to be that smooth - THAT is why I quit drinking scotch. Also I find MM to be incredibly smooth and considering it's less expensive and IMO better tasting I'd buy (well really I never would) buy it over BH if I was looking for something very smooth... I am with most here, for what BH cost there is no way I ever have and never will buy a bottle of that stuff.

Storytime.
In college, I did the typical "take a bunch of bourbon shots, get sick, and thereafter hate the taste of bourbon" thing. Most of us probably have had a taste aversion to one form of alcohol or another. Anyway, I still enjoyed Scotch and Irish for the following several years, but couldn't stomach even the smell of bourbon. At a friend's birthday party a couple of years ago, he said "you have to try this bourbon." I declined originally, but he was persistent, and I took a sip of the Basil Hayden's he was offering me. Immediately, I was a bourbon fan, and though I still keep a bottle of Irish and a bottle of Scotch around, bourbon has since been the mainstay for me- the only whiskey I have more than one bottle of, and my everyday pour.

BH is not my favorite, nor is it in my cabinet right now, but I think it's a great bourbon for someone who is used to the smoother whiskeys from the Isles, amongst which it is a good value, as well. Also, it led me to explore the JB small batch collection, trying Knob Creek, Baker's, and Booker's as well in one of the mini sampler packs within a month of initially tasting it- a fine introduction to bourbon and a good way to spend an evening. I completely understand the rationale against BH- low proof, too smooth for some, and have no problem with that. No argument here. I just wanted to add that it's good bourbon in my book, and that I'm glad it's out there.

Virus_Of_Life
02-07-2006, 00:41
For anyone who is interested in the SoCal area Hi TIme wine cellar has Basil Hayden's on sale for a very nice price of $28.99 I believe it was :shocked: , thought about it, but nope just couldn't do it. Might pick up a bottle just to do another tasting and have something really smooth on hand for guests wanting something easy to drink, my girlfriend might actually like it! Oh they also have ETL for $20.99, I AM going to pick up at least one of those this weekend, now THAT Is a good deal!!!

BobA
02-07-2006, 10:21
Christian,

At that price, I'd probably think about buying the BH as well, and might just do it. I like it well enough, and you make good points about guests, but I just don't feel right spending that for 80 proof, even trying to accept it on its own terms. But I would definitely jump on the ETL; going just from what I've read, there is probably no other bourbon I more fervantly wish was distributed here.

Bob

tsangster
02-07-2006, 17:23
Christian,

But I would definitely jump on the ETL; going just from what I've read, there is probably no other bourbon I more fervantly wish was distributed here.

Bob

Same here. I have a bottle of ETL and BT in the cabinet that I'm afraid to open because I don't know when I can replace them.

Joeluka
02-07-2006, 19:02
I've always found that Weller 12yr to be the smoothest bourbon to me. It just goes in and down with no trouble at all.

Virus_Of_Life
02-13-2006, 02:41
Christian,

At that price, I'd probably think about buying the BH as well, and might just do it. I like it well enough, and you make good points about guests, but I just don't feel right spending that for 80 proof, even trying to accept it on its own terms. But I would definitely jump on the ETL; going just from what I've read, there is probably no other bourbon I more fervantly wish was distributed here.

Bob

... And I did! I felt a little weird buying a bottle that I pretty much knew I'D never drink much of, but would have on hand for my girl and other friends and visitors.

Now this is where the story gets intriguing: All of maybe her 3rd taste of bourbon and after a sip of BH my girlfriend starts with the tasting notes. I kid you not, she was saying how after she swallows it she noticed a vanilla and spice (don't remember exaclty which spice) flavor lingering!! Now she knows absolutely nothing of tasting notes and hasn't even seen this website or read anything about bourbon. After that she had a slice of smoked gouda cheese that I cut for her as I was making of a grilled cheese and turkey sandwich and she comments on how well bourbon and cheese goes together. Now if it wasn't for reading specifically somewhere on this site that Julian VW himself was quoted on how well Smoked Gouda and VWSR went together I would not have thought much of it, but I think I may have a natural bourbon connoisseur on my hands here!?!? :pope:

She still thinks I am crazy :bigeyes: for paying 2 1/2 bills for a bottle though! (Pappy 23)........

brian12069
02-26-2006, 14:19
I've always found that Weller 12yr to be the smoothest bourbon to me. It just goes in and down with no trouble at all.

That is great stuff.

Sijan
02-27-2006, 09:58
Whilst tipping my cap to Tim, for so graciously pointing out my most heinous crime of abusing the phrase 'barrel proof' I would argue that 107 proof is often referred to as barrel proof as it is way above the average strength that spirits are bottled at.

I think the term you're looking for is overproof, which is anything over 100 proof

Sijan
02-27-2006, 10:05
I'll also echo the Basil Hayden's tip for a smooth whiskey, though as others have mentioned, it's not the greatest value in terms of proof. Value, though, is more accurately measured by enjoyment, and you may really like it.

Exactly! I'm puzzled by people being upset that BH is over-priced b/c of its proof. The value of the bourbon is not in its proof but in how good it is to drink. I'm not buying bourbon to acquire large amounts of alcohol; I'm buying bourbon for the taste, mouthfeel, etc. I think it's quite good as a light-tasting, easy-sipping bourbon and could care less whether it's 141 proof or 30 proof. Measure outputs, not inputs. Also, if you buy it on sale or from the right store, it's really not that expensive - I've bought two bottles and I think both were in the high 20s to low 30s.

A smooth budget bourbon would be Old Fitz 1849, an everyday favorite of mine. Beam Black is also pretty smooth. I remember Maker's as being smooth, but haven't had any in awhile. EC12 is prob also not a bad choice.

BourbonBalls
02-27-2006, 18:17
Exactly! I'm puzzled by people being upset that BH is over-priced b/c of its proof. The value of the bourbon is not in its proof but in how good it is to drink. I'm not buying bourbon to acquire large amounts of alcohol; I'm buying bourbon for the taste, mouthfeel, etc. I think it's quite good as a light-tasting, easy-sipping bourbon and could care less whether it's 141 proof or 30 proof. Measure outputs, not inputs. Also, if you buy it on sale or from the right store, it's really not that expensive - I've bought two bottles and I think both were in the high 20s to low 30s.

A smooth budget bourbon would be Old Fitz 1849, an everyday favorite of mine. Beam Black is also pretty smooth. I remember Maker's as being smooth, but haven't had any in awhile. EC12 is prob also not a bad choice.

I think the point everyone is making here, is that Basil Hayden's is a lot to pay for the distilleries water. If BH were, say 90 to 100 proof, and then YOU decide to ALWAYS proof it down to 80 for YOUR drinkability, then you are actually getting more bourbon per bottle when its higher proof.

Of course its all about how it tastes, but I'd rather proof my own down and control it than have the distillery do it. Thats what makes BH overpriced and not worth the price. I mean, its easy to proof down, but you can't "proof up". AND....who would want to proof down lower than 80? IMHO, 80 proof bourbons are not "serious" bourbons and are a product that have bowed to the beancounters.

gr8erdane
02-28-2006, 03:17
I've long thought about this price/proof dogging of BH and sometimes I agree and sometimes don't. But if you think about it, you usually pay the same for a case of regular beer as you do for corresponding light beer or regular soft drinks versus diet..... Think of BH as Diet Bourbon Lite! Less alcohol! Tastes great! Fewer Calories!

Mad Mac
02-28-2006, 18:37
I'll go back to some of the earlier posts - to me Maker's Mark is about as smooth (and ultimately unchallenging) as a bourbon can get - which makes it a decent introduction. I've used it a number of times in just that way. I prefer my whiskies neat (or a few drops of water to bring out the flavor - especially with Scotch) and found that I quickly wanted more bite than a wheater has. WT Kentucky Spirit is great for that and is still one of my favorites. Lately I've been enjoying some Sazerac 18 yr Rye - just wonderful!

Ambernecter
03-07-2006, 08:11
I have only had 4 bottles of VW12YO lot B but there is only the VWFRR that even comes close to being as smooth as this SUPERB whiskey!

My mate bought me a shot of Lot B in a bar in early 2005 and it was like a religious experience - the smoothness and amazing vanilla finish near bowled me over. I left skid marks back towards the bar for another shot!

It really is one of the finest whiskeys I have come across in my 22 years of Bouron travel. (Yes I know that makes my start age criminally young but you can't fight the tide!)

photogjunkie
03-07-2006, 11:56
My vote for smoothnees goes to the darkhorse....VIRGINIA GENTLEMAN.
If by chance you can get your paws on a bottle of this bliss...snap it up...in either the 80 or the award winning 90 small batch variety.

Smooth as a baby's behind.

The "Bourbon of Virginia" should be the "Bourbon of the World". I'd take a bottle of the 80...even with a screw off cap...over stuff costing 3 times as much anyday. One of the top ten bourbons "nobody's ever heard of".

brian12069
03-07-2006, 16:41
I have only had 4 bottles of VW12YO lot B but there is only the VWFRR that even comes close to being as smooth as this SUPERB whiskey!

My mate bought me a shot of Lot B in a bar in early 2005 and it was like a religious experience - the smoothness and amazing vanilla finish near bowled me over. I left skid marks back towards the bar for another shot!

It really is one of the finest whiskeys I have come across in my 22 years of Bouron travel. (Yes I know that makes my start age criminally young but you can't fight the tide!)

You actually did a "shot" of VW lot B??? That should be against the law! Drink it...enjoy it...

NorCalBoozer
03-07-2006, 17:28
I would have to put Eagle Rare 17 into this category. I know a lot of people are not too fond of it, but I think the '05 is quite nice for it's subtlety. A very smooth pour.

Ambernecter
03-07-2006, 17:51
Hey Brian!

My wording is not the best I admit it! I meant I was bought a jigger of said libation and of course sipped it.

Bourbon is one spirit I would not EVER down in one childish fratboy gulp... perish the thought!

brian12069
03-07-2006, 17:55
Hey Brian!

My wording is not the best I admit it! I meant I was bought a jigger of said libation and of course sipped it.

Bourbon is one spirit I would not EVER down in one childish fratboy gulp... perish the thought!

thank god!...ahhhhhhhh...I cam sleep well tonight...

gr8erdane
03-07-2006, 21:26
Fratboy? Hey, I resemble that remark! It was a fratboy that introduced me to SW whiskey and I am forever in his debt. As a matter of fact, next time I'm in Columbia I'm dropping off a BOTY bottle to him.

Here's to good old Delta
Drink her down, Drink her down.
Here's to good old Delta
Drink her down, Drink her down
Here's to good old Delta
Cause she's hearty and she's healthy
Drink her down, Drink her down, Drink her down, down, down, HEY!

Ambernecter
03-07-2006, 22:55
No offence to "childish fratboy" drinking games at all! They can be great fun...

Just not with a super whiskey that really should be savoured - whether in a bar or at home.

pepcycle
03-08-2006, 13:00
I guess I'll have to scratch Van Winkle Pong off my list of planned Sampler activities.
Darn!!

Mad Mac
03-15-2006, 18:16
Smooth bourbon? Try 1792...