PDA

View Full Version : Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey

TNbourbon
12-20-2005, 21:14
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/bis.gif http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/toast.gif
It's here, it's here! First, what appears to be a bit of good news: the 5 bottles I snagged today at the liquor store where I work are unnumbered -- meaning that the 1,000 numbered bottles are not the whole production run as I, at least, previously understood. So perhaps this won't be quite as hard a 'get' as originally regarded.
What a lovely, old-style bottle! Buffalo Trace has shown yet again that taste is not just a gustatory function, but an aesthetic one, too. Kudos.
First impressions (a more complete 'Tasting' note sometime soon): Thumbs up! To me, at least, this is much more complex than the 18yo Saz (which is not a real favorite of mine). The nose and palate are subtle and softly presented, which a spice forefront enveloping the rye-trademark garden-floral notes.
The golden-straw color is reminiscent of the similarly-aged Bernheim wheat whiskey.
If you see it, buy it!

barturtle
12-20-2005, 21:30
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif
Wow, that is a gorgous bottle.

Good news there. I'm glad that there is going to be more than just the 1,000 bottles to start off.

I can't wait.

Joe_Blowe
12-20-2005, 23:08
Could I bother you for a UPC code, pretty please? I want to get my local on top of this!

TNbourbon
12-20-2005, 23:11
Could I bother you for a UPC code, pretty please? I want to get my local on top of this!

(0) 88004 13994 (0)

Leading and trailing zeroes are check-sums.

Joe_Blowe
12-20-2005, 23:22
Thanks for the speedy reply! I hope I'll be able to get this locally - not yet appearing on Binny's and Sam's websites, or on HiTimeWine, Mission, BeverageWarehouse...

JamesH007
12-21-2005, 02:39
How much does it go for a bottle? does it say how old it is?

TNbourbon
12-21-2005, 09:56
How much does it go for a bottle? does it say how old it is?

No age statement, 90 proof. It was between $25-$26 in our store -- and you can always figure TN to be about 10% higher than other places (thank the monopolistic distributor -- it goes into his pockets http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/hot.gif), even before the additional 9.25% sales tax. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/hot.gif http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/hot.gif

The back 'label' is almost all barcode, company info, and government warning. The only descriptive text on the entire bottles states: "This rye whiskey is the perfect choice to make the Sazerac Cocktail, America's First Cocktail."

jeff
12-21-2005, 16:28
Still no sign of this in Lexington. I checked with the new LB this evening and Morgan told me they don't expect to receive any of it, though he said it was a remote possibility. I'll check with Thorughbred Liquors tomorrow.

barturtle
12-21-2005, 16:47
Nope, not yet. Went though 2 LB in Lex plus a couple smaller stores today. And hit 1 LB in Lou on my way out of town this morning and hit another small store when I got back. Still nothing and only 1 had even heard of it yet.

jeff
12-21-2005, 16:49
Timothy,

Did you check the Thoroughbred shop today? I'll save myself a trip if you did http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

barturtle
12-21-2005, 16:59
No, Completely forgot.

Sweetmeats
12-21-2005, 17:01
You lucky dog! Anyone who sees it in California or on Binny's please let me know.

ChuckMick
12-27-2005, 09:12
You lucky dog! Anyone who sees it in California or on Binny's please let me know.

I was in Binnys over the weekend and they didn't have it. However, I just received an email from Binnys and they are expecting it to be in the stores by Wed.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/yum.gif

Chuck

TNbourbon
12-27-2005, 09:37
After an exchange of messages last week with Ken Weber, here's some more info:
The original numbered 1,000 bottles were/will be presented as VIP tokens. About 300 of them went to Buffalo Trace/Sazerac employees. Original production was about 600 6-bottle cases (3,600 bottles). I didn't follow up to ask if that includes the original 1,000.
Looks like, in any case, you shouldn't wait too long to pull the trigger, or else you'll be waiting till the next bottling.

ProofPositive
12-27-2005, 23:57
I spotted 4 or 5 of these today at a local store that was once an old haunt of mine but one I have not visited in years. One of the guys there tried to interest me in a bottle - but being totally ignorant about rye, I bypassed it and instead picked up the last EWSB he had in stock. The Sazerac seemed reasonably priced at $25.99. After reading so much good press here, maybe I best go back over there and get a couple of bottles tomorrow. I have not seen this as of yet in the other 4 or 5 stores I frequent. Is it really true that only around 1000 have been produced? I've been into bourbon for years but have never tried any rye. What have I missed? I have had my share of "rye recipe" bourbons - but not straight rye. Probably a dumb question: how does rye taste/mix in comparison to some of the premium bourbons? Also, how does the Sazerac rye compare to other ryes out there? From reading here, it sounds like this Sazerac would be the one to take the plunge with as a rye virgin. Any other recommendations? http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Your excellent insight and advice are much appreciated!!! http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kbuzbee
12-28-2005, 08:22
First, yes, you should get a bottle of the new Saz if it's there.

Second, almost any rye you'll find is at least very good. The bottom shelfer's, Old Overholt and such are wonderful. The mid shelfers like Wild Turkey 101 Rye are fantastic. In fact, that one is my personal favorite Rye. The top shelfers like the Saz 18 and maybe the new Saz(?) bring more sophistication with their age, more barrel, smoother.

Third, the thing I find in rye is spice. Call it anise, call it mint. In Tim's review of the new Saz he said "muothwash fresh" That's valid. It isn't quite as sweet as bourbon but it is a great spirit.

Try a couple. They're great. You'll enjoy the variety (at least I do!)

Ken

ProofPositive
12-30-2005, 11:15
Maybe I missed it somewhere....but, has anyone found out yet on the age of the new Sazerac? Somewhere - and it may have been at my local store where I found a few bottles, somebody I thought told me it was 6 yrs old. Anybody know?

BourbonJoe
12-30-2005, 12:26
The official release statement from Sazerac states that it is "seven summers old".
Joe http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/usflag.gif

CrispyCritter
01-01-2006, 02:35
I stopped in at the nearest Binny's today (well, yesterday, actually), and sure enough, the new Saz Jr. was up on the shelf! http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif Needless to say, a bottle of it followed me home, along with a Compass Box Eleuthera (one of my favorites in the Compass Box line).

I love that old-old-school bottle!

Tomorrow night (technically, tonight) I think I'm going to try a head-to-head of Saz Jr. and Sr. to see how they compare...

kbuzbee
01-01-2006, 09:55
Tomorrow night (technically, tonight) I think I'm going to try a head-to-head of Saz Jr. and Sr. to see how they compare...

I'll be interested to hear how that comes out. I think I heard our friend Tim say he prefered the younger expression.

Ken

CrispyCritter
01-01-2006, 19:37
Well, I've had a pour of the 6yo, and I'm now in the midst of a glass of the 18. There's a definite family resemblance, but the 18yo shows its extra aging; the 6yo has a rough edge to it that has been polished out in the 18yo version.

I'll have to try it again after the new 6yo bottle has been open for a couple of weeks - my current 18yo bottle has a few weeks on it (though mostly full).

In any case, it is still quite a worthy whiskey, and I'll be getting another bottle of the 6yo for reserve, just as I did with the 18yo.

Although I usually don't try to "score" drinks anymore, I'd give the Saz 18 five stars out of five, and the Jr. would get four-and-a-half.

Next time I get in the mood to mix up some Sazerac cocktails, I'll have to try one of each again. The younger version might actually work better in a cocktail than its older brother, but we'll see.

Ken Weber
01-02-2006, 15:49
The 1,000 numbered bottles is included in the 3600 bottles. By the way, we were aiming for a 6 year old whiskey and then introduce it in New Orleans. With Katerina blowing through, we postponed bottling and the whiskey actually gained an additional year of age because of the delay.

Ken

JDKnaebel
02-04-2006, 07:55
I know that people have been looking for this in the Louisville and Lexington areas. It hit the shelves in Louisville yesterday. Picked up several bottles for consumption as well as the bunker.

it is amazing how early it was available in other markets and not in same state it was distilled and aged.

JD

JamesH007
02-05-2006, 06:42
I really like the new Saz bottle!!! Does anyone have any of the numbered ones ?? If so post a pic for us to see. Cant wait to see if I can get one in Lexington.
J.

barturtle
02-05-2006, 10:10
Well, I don't have one, but I grabbed a pic off of Ebay. It was a completed listing and someone actually paid $160 for it. For that price I could have 8 bottles that I have no guilt about opening.

TNbourbon
02-05-2006, 11:33
I really like the new Saz bottle!!! Does anyone have any of the numbered ones ?? If so post a pic for us to see. Cant wait to see if I can get one in Lexington.
J.
As noted by Ken Weber above, the numbered bottles will not be available at retail. The were presented to Sazerac/Buffalo Trace employees and other so-called VIPs to the company. There probably are -- as the eBay listing manifests -- some available privately at a premium.

Virus_Of_Life
02-06-2006, 19:30
HiTime Wine Cellar had some of this in recently they tell me, HAD being the key phrase here, as in got it and were out of it a few days later! Looks like I missed my shot which is too bad because I think I am starting to like the Ryes more and more, every sip of WT Rye I have tastes better to me...

kbuzbee
02-08-2006, 14:36
I think I am starting to like the Ryes more and more, every sip of WT Rye I have tastes better to me...

Yeah, that's great stuff isn't it?? I'll take WT Rye over any other the other, more rare, higher end Ryes I've tried (though there are several that are still on my gotta get'em list)

Ken

CrispyCritter
02-08-2006, 20:03
Indeed, the WT rye is one fine pour. It's going to be another of my "always have a bottle on hand" whiskeys - especially since it's easy to find and reasonably priced.

I'll second Virus_Of_Life about ryes in general - all of them that I've tried have been very fine drinks.

Funny thing is, tonight I had a Rittenhouse BIB and then a VWFRR, and then I poured some Rare Breed - and it's tasting like a (very good) rye! Carryover?

kbuzbee
02-09-2006, 07:24
Funny thing is, tonight I had a Rittenhouse BIB and then a VWFRR, and then I poured some Rare Breed - and it's tasting like a (very good) rye! Carryover?

Well, I taste a lot of Rye in all the WT products so you may have a combination of carry over and the Rye overtones of the RB itself.

Ken

Mad Mac
02-17-2006, 17:15
I really like the 18 yr old expression - any more comparisons between the two? I haven't found the newer style yet.

FlashPuppy
10-18-2006, 22:32
I managed to find a Saz Jr. in my local BevMo today. I picked it up for $27.99. It's still out there if you cn find it. :grin:

ThomasH
10-18-2006, 23:28
Binnys now has it listed on thre website. I sells for 24.99 a bottle!

Thomas

Virus_Of_Life
10-19-2006, 17:12
It is one of my most favorite whiskeys I have ever tasted and am ordering a case from Binnys this weekend and will probably order another in a month if they still have it. You got lucky Jeremy, I have not seen any in BevMo or anywhere else around here for that matter in quite some time!

Nebraska
10-19-2006, 17:18
You're timing is good Christian. Some changes coming about for Saz Jr. Probably in the next 4 to 5 weeks or so...at that location and else where.

HighTower
10-23-2006, 04:41
You're timing is good Christian. Some changes coming about for Saz Jr. Probably in the next 4 to 5 weeks or so...at that location and else where.
Your timing is better than good Christian......here is part of an email I received from Brett @ Binnys just a couple of days ago...
"In the next couple of weeks, I will have my own single cask selection of the baby Saz, which I'm really excited about, as the stuff I sampled through was universally outstanding."

So there you have it, straight from the man!!

Scott

T47
10-25-2006, 19:33
My Dad is going to Louisiana for Thanksgiving; will he be able to find Sazerac in most places? I am going to ask him to pick up a couple bottles for me if he can find them.

shaggy
10-25-2006, 19:58
More bottle of the Saz Jr. hit shelves this week along with the 18 Y/O from the Antique Collection. I picked up a couple bottles from Liquor Barn in Lexington a couple days ago. The guy I talked to said they got 1 case of it.

T47
10-25-2006, 20:15
Well, I will ask him to keep an eye out for it. I am wondering if anyone is aware of Bourbons he might look out for that I can't get here in WA. Ones I am interested in trying are AAA, Michtners, or William Larue Weller...

melting
11-05-2006, 17:28
Went to the liquor store about 20 minutes from after hearing they had a great selection.. Was very impressed indeed. After reading all the posts I figured the Saz was hard to come by. They had approx. 14 bottles just sitting there marked $26.99. Bought one just to see what all the hype was about. Had I think 6 bottles of the Saz 18 on the shelf also.

Hope this is as good as I anticipate.

They also had quite a few of the other offerings that I previously believed to be scarce after reading posts on this site including.

3 different Van Winkles.
bunch of Michter's - apologize if the spelling's off on that 1
at least 20 bottles of Buffalo Trace
3 different types of Eagle Rare
George T Stagg
Hirsch 21 yr. rye

Funny though, no Wild Turkey Rye which is one of my favorites. Go figure.

Chris

Sweetmeats
01-22-2007, 13:02
Got my Saz from Binny's the other day and it was the Single Barrel version. AWESOME STUFF! I recommend it highly. The "red hots" flavor comes through nicely.

HighTower
01-22-2007, 23:43
Got my Saz from Binny's the other day and it was the Single Barrel version. AWESOME STUFF! I recommend it highly. The "red hots" flavor comes through nicely.

I'm about to order some of this myself, can't wait to get it! Sounds like Brett chose well!

Scott

CrispyCritter
01-23-2007, 23:17
I'm about to order some of this myself, can't wait to get it! Sounds like Brett chose well!

He did indeed! This Baby Saz is even better than the original release - and that was a mighty fine rye to begin with. My own impression is that it has a little more age to it than the seven years of last year's release - but I could be wrong.

HighTower
01-24-2007, 05:46
He did indeed! This Baby Saz is even better than the original release - and that was a mighty fine rye to begin with. My own impression is that it has a little more age to it than the seven years of last year's release - but I could be wrong.

From what I understand this is Handy that is bottled at 90 proof. Brett tried hard to get them to do a barrel proof selection, but with the Handy coming out, of course they wouldn't do so. I believe it is 8yo like the Handy. Although don't quote me on that, I'm going from memory (of which mine isn't very good) of a conversation I had with Brett.

Scott

cowdery
01-24-2007, 12:13
On these retailer-selected single barrel bottlings -- which I think are great, by the way -- they can't really change the proof because that would require a label change and going through the whole label approval process with both the feds and the state. In other words, an expensive hassle.