PDA

View Full Version : Tasting Sierra Nevada beer

nor02lei
03-19-2006, 12:27
Went to a beer sampling yesterday. One of my favourite brewers, Sierra Nevada. I was a bit disappointed that the Porter and India Pale Ale was missing. Never the less we sampled the wheat, pils, stout, pale ale, celebration ale and Big foot (barly wine). I don’t normally like wheat but this one was quit nice and the best of that sort I have tasted (3). Pils was not god at all a bad interpretation of Check stile pils (2). Pale ale was ok but not any real hit for me (3). Stout was really good (5). But the 2 last ones (5+5). Amassing stuff. And I normally don’t like barley wine at all. Some beer that Big foot. My point in the 1-5 system inside ( )
Here are the overall votes from the about 20 prohibitions:
Sierra Nevada Wheat Beer Ale Veteöl - Ale USA 2.8
431 Sierra Nevada Summerfest 2005 Lager Plisner USA 2.7
432 Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Ale Pale Ale USA 3.9
433 Sierra Nevada Stout Ale Stout - Dry USA 3.7
434 Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale 2005 Ale Special - Ale USA 3.8
435 Sierra Nevada Bigfooth Ale 2005 Ale Barley Wine USA 2.5

The tasting was at a little pub in Söderbärke 65 km from my home. And it is amassing that a small place of about 2000 inhibiters can have probably the pub with the best assortment of beer in the hole part of Sweden north of Stockholm. I did try some other beer as well in the pub amongst them another American ale from flying dog that was real bad. From the small Swedish microbrewery Närkes kulturbrggeri I tasted 1 barley wine that was real bad and a strong porter that was a real smash hit. Amazingly spicy and thick and actually it was better than SN stout and I would say in the same class as celebration and Big foot. I would probably put all these 3 among my top5 beers.

Leif

elkdoggydog
03-20-2006, 17:29
I agree- Bigfoot is my favorite of the Sierra Nevada beers, though the Pale Ale is a fantastic brew as well. If you like the Bigfoot, you might like Fuller's 1845, a cask-conditioned ale that Bigfoot reminds me of. It's English, so you may have already had it.

ratcheer
03-20-2006, 19:13
I have only had the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and I like it a lot. It is wonderful with food.

Tim

nor02lei
03-21-2006, 09:18
I agree- Bigfoot is my favorite of the Sierra Nevada beers, though the Pale Ale is a fantastic brew as well. If you like the Bigfoot, you might like Fuller's 1845, a cask-conditioned ale that Bigfoot reminds me of. It's English, so you may have already had it.

Yes I have tried many of the fuller beers. If I remember right 1845 was quit thick and a little on the sweet side. Think I like ESB best of the Fullers I have tried even though it’s a bit on the mean side.

Leif

elkdoggydog
03-21-2006, 10:04
That's sounds like 1845. I just think it's complexity and sweetness (while not extremely sweet) are similar to the Bigfoot. I haven't had their ESB in a long time. I liked it, but I bet I would appreciate it more now. I'll have to grab it if I see it.
I had a friend in town this weekend who is a big beer fan. I am one too, but have been reaching for the bourbon when I want a drink lately. It was nice to spend some time drinking a few cold ones, including Bigfoot, with him.
As Ratcheer said, SN Pale Ale may be the best beer to pair with food. Excellent stuff.
Cheers!