PDA

View Full Version : What bourbon are you drinking now?

Pages : [1] 2 3

jeff
03-23-2006, 10:19
As you're sitting in front of your computer reading this forum, what's in your glass? :yum:

mrt
03-23-2006, 12:19
Where has the whole thread gone? :shocked:

jeff
03-23-2006, 12:23
Every so often we close the previous thread and start a new one. This is mostly to keep such a large thread managable and easy to load for our members with slower connections. You can find the last thread HERE (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4789)

BTW, I think this is the 6th edition of the WAYDN thread.

mrt
03-23-2006, 12:34
Ok, thanks for the "jet" reply...

Tank415
03-23-2006, 12:52
Im relatively new to bourbon.... I just picked up some EC12yo. Poured about 3 fingers over ice, added just a splash of water. All I can say is, MMMMMMmmmM! Very nice, very smooth.

NYtaster
03-23-2006, 16:45
Drinking my fav. tonight, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, neat. No matter what else I have open there is no better and more consistant bourbon for every day.

Just my humble opinion!

fogfrog
03-23-2006, 17:07
I am drinking right now Jim Beam White 7YO. Now supposedly this is not available everywhere. But we have it in both KY and KS. The K states. I don't know where else it is sold.

I think this stuff is pretty good but..... I first had some (tonight)... Elmer T. Lee.... and for some reason tonight after having VOB the other night Elmer T. Lee seems rough! Although maybe a little more complex.

So I had some of the other stuff I have hanging around. I opened my new AAA 10Yr and found it a bit complex..... but I was not in a mood for dealing with complex and longed for the simple good taste I experienced with the VOB.

Then I poured some Beam 7YO white and added some diet coke. And had another....

Now I am up to 7YO Beam White on the rocks and to tell you....... to learn about what you like in bourbon you gotta drink a lot of bourbon in different circumstances.

But so far as I can tell I made a mistake in KY when I went there I shoulda bought at least two big half gallon bottles of 100 proof VOB.

The liquor store owner said he thought VOB was Well Bourbon. But they are using Ezra Brooks for Well bourbon at the Texas Roadhouse where I had dinner.

Now they are two different bourbons for sure.

I have yet to try Ezra Brooks. If it is like Evan Williams I think I'll appreciate it. But you know, I thought the VOB was so good I could probably live with it and Evan Williams and be satisified for variety.

Paul

ratcheer
03-23-2006, 17:36
A Manhattan made with Bulleit. It was not the best Manhattan I've made, but it was much better than straight Bulleit. :grin:

Tim

brian12069
03-23-2006, 18:27
Tonight it is Old Rip Van Winkle 10yr 107 proof. I was in a store that was stackin'em deep 'n sellin'em cheap!

TNbourbon
03-23-2006, 18:36
Standard Van Winkle Lot B as a setup to some similarly-aged single-barrel S-W stuff I've run across.

SBOmarc
03-23-2006, 21:18
Old Grand Dad 114. The more I drink it the better I like it.

mythrenegade
03-23-2006, 23:25
Yesterday I tried Elijah Craig 12 year for the first time (neat, as all first time tastings should be IMHO). Tonight I poured a glass on the rocks, and enjoyed it so much that I poured another and came here to talk about it...

Joel

Virus_Of_Life
03-25-2006, 00:43
Wild Turkey Tribute, last night was the first sampling of this so I figured I keep the theme rolling a little longer. Better switch soon though don't want to tear through an out of production hundred dollar bottle too quickly! This is pretty darn good stuff :drink:

fogfrog
03-25-2006, 13:45
I'm drinking Ancient Ancient Age 10YO. The last time I tasted it, a few days ago, I thought it was rough. Today its just fine. Shows how the drinker influences the impression of the drink!

nor02lei
03-25-2006, 15:22
Standard Van Winkle Lot B as a setup to some similarly-aged single-barrel S-W stuff I've run across.

Tim,

It would be interesting to hear what you think of the different expressions especially if the standard bottle is a Bernheim.

Leif

Whiskey River
03-25-2006, 16:04
New to bourbon and this forum. Hi all!! Jumped the fence from single malt scotch. I find find bourbon to be much more tasty.

Tonight I'm drinking Knob Creek. Looking to pick up a bottle of Bookers this week.

Whiskey River
03-25-2006, 16:10
New to bourbon and this forum. Hi all!! Jumped the fence from single malt scotch. I enjoy the taste of bourbon much more than scotch, and look forward to tasting as many as I can.

Tonight I'm drinking Knob Creek, and plan to pick up a bottle of Bookers this week.

T47
03-25-2006, 16:41
Welcome to the forum, I am relatively new myself, and have learned a lot here. I received a bottle of Knob Creek for Christmas and sipped my way through it pretty quickly. Booker's is my personal favorite but I still have many to try. I love the warm sensation, almost like a thick caramel sauce across my tongue.
I am pretty easy still, I have yet to try a Bourbon I wouldn't drink again if it was offered to me, but I am getting a little pickier and finding some I enjoy much more!
Welcome and enjoy!
:toast:

SBOmarc
03-25-2006, 17:11
Just to finish the bottle. As well documented on this string, it's not worth the price. I will say however it has become more mellow since it was opened in December.

ThomasH
03-25-2006, 19:17
Tonight it is Pappy Van Winkle 15/107 followed by WLW. These are my 1st drinks in 3 weeks due to sinus and severe head and chest cold. Both tasted fantastic!

Thomas

TNbourbon
03-25-2006, 20:24
I'm having a non-bourbon night tonight, after working the noon-9 shift at the liquor store. I brought home a couple of bottles of a red wine I've been eying for a couple of weeks -- 2001 Trinity Oaks Zinfandel. It's an inexpensive, light-ish Zin, but I generally prefer red to have a few years of bottle-aging, and 2001 was one of the better recent years for the varietal in California. It was a case of lousy stock rotation by the distributor -- we've sold the 2004 Trinity Oaks more recently -- so this has tempted me since the moment I saw it.
Anyway, am pleasantly surprised. While lighter-bodied than I expect Zinfandel to be, this has very bright and lively fruit -- dark cherries, red raspberries -- and still it contains purple tints in the glass. Yet, a solid backbone of tannins lies underneath. The color leads me to believe there's no hurry to open it (though certainly it's not exactly age-worthy, either), so I may just grab the remaining 4-5 bottles on the shelf. Having paid just $5.94 each for two bottles, I feel well-rewarded.
As a sometime angina sufferer, I too often forget to remember that red wine is a more proactive and enjoyable cause of a headache than nitroglycerine tablets. I need to remember to give over a few nights more often to the grape spirits.

Joe_Blowe
03-25-2006, 21:44
OGD 114 by my side tonight. This one really kind of "snuck up on me" and took me by surprise. I've been nursing a bottle of it for a couple of months now and I've come to realize, just tonight, that this really is a great bourbon.

Definitely deserves a spot on the shelf from now on...

BourbonJoe
03-26-2006, 03:49
I'm having a non-bourbon night tonight, after working the noon-9 shift at the liquor store. I brought home a couple of bottles of a red wine I've been eying for a couple of weeks -- 2001 Trinity Oaks Zinfandel. Having paid just $5.94 each for two bottles, I feel well-rewarded.

Tim,
Zinfandels are also one of my passions. I especially look for ones under 10 bucks. Good Zins under 10 bucks are very few and far between in my part of the world. Glad you enjoyed the Trinity Oaks.
Joe :usflag:

T47
03-26-2006, 07:59
Joe_Blowe, I really enjoy OGD 114. I know everyone tastes are different...it hits me almost like Bookers, but its 1/2 the price! They are out of OGD 114 in WA. in as far as I can tell, so I have my name on a list to be called when it comes in about 4 weeks from now.
I am enjoying the Bookers so much right now, I keep returning to it, but for me its a little pricey as an everyday pour...just...cant...stop...myself...

mrt
03-26-2006, 10:27
Jack Daniels...not a bourbon, though...but a close relative :)

EricABQ
03-26-2006, 14:28
I'm toasting complete and total demise of my bracket with a little Pappy 15.

Geo
03-26-2006, 15:36
This evening....
one oz. pour of Old Weller Antique, then onto a short pour of Weller Larue, then a Bookers and topping it all off with 2 fingers of George T Stagg (fall '05)

Gillman
03-26-2006, 16:11
Tonight I had a number of whiskeys and other spirits but only about 1/4 ounce each, so as not to overdo it. I find even such a small amount (of each) satisfying. First, ND Old Grandad - 80 proof again but still rich and full. Second, Rare Breed - very nice but the steely ethanol overlay is quite evident. 80 is too low and 108 too high. :) Then, equally small amounts of a couple of my rum blends (rum in the sense of the distilled drink). Finally, one of my own blends such as I will bring for the Manhattans - this was really good, like a blended whiskey that tastes mostly of bourbon. With dinner, a Pilsener Urquel. This adds up to about 2 drinks, well maybe a bit more but it is the weekend. :)

Gary

sc500mbsc
03-26-2006, 21:37
Currently my daily drink is Knob Creek. I have Blantons which I love, however, my current bottle tastes a bit musty, is this a normal issue with Blantons. Am interested in discovering the more unique and boutique crafted bourbons.

Tom

BourbonJoe
03-27-2006, 04:52
Last night, a pour or two of Rittenhouse BIB Rye. This is some fine whiskey. One of Heaven Hills jewels.

SBOmarc
03-27-2006, 16:38
A fresh bottle of Lot B. Mission Liquors in Pasadena for any SoCal shoppers. I love this stuff. First one neat, then with one cube.

elkdoggydog
03-27-2006, 17:52
A bit of ETL, following some OGD 114. Probably did them in the wrong order, but it's still tasting great tonight. I love both of these bourbons.

TNbourbon
03-27-2006, 18:08
I, too, am enjoying some OGD 114 -- from a strip-stamped, Batch 6 bottle gifted to me by some good area folks for whom I've provided some bourbon info, making it all the more notable and enjoyable. They also allowed me to purchase at a sellout price a Joseph Finch 15yo which had a cracked bottle but no whiskey loss, and threw in half a wooden-boxed set of fake-seal Ezra Brooks 7yo/90 proof in 200ml squares.
All that after I'd found a Lawrenceburg Pappy 20 (at a somewhat inflated, but acceptable, price) and a 1975 Benchmark American Legion "Fort Snelling" display set (at about 40% what the same set was across town) still on nearby shelves.

doubleblank
03-27-2006, 18:23
As many have noted here, some Weller's from Louisville have surfaced in the last 6 months. Mostly in liter sizes. So I decided to purchase a Weller Antique from Louisville from a store that tends to come across and sell some older bottlings. Anyway....its maple syrup on the nose and tongue with a dark cherries finish.... a lot like some SW's I've had lately. Good stuff.

Randy

Gillman
03-27-2006, 19:30
Blending in the glass of WT rye, Lot 40, ORVW Old Time Rye, and Hirsch 16. Added some Forty Creek Three Grain 50/50 when half way down. Rye city.

Gary

CrispyCritter
03-27-2006, 20:57
I'm currently finishing up with a pour of standard WT 101, following an earlier Laphroaig Cask Strength. The WT 101 is definitely robust enough to stand up to the peat from the earlier pour.

EDIT: I think the peat did have an effect though - the WT bourbon is tasting a lot like a rye right now.

ProofPositive
03-28-2006, 00:37
Also finishing up a regular octane WT101 followed by some Antique 107....great combo! Glad I don't go to work tomorrow!

bluesbassdad
03-28-2006, 02:05
Tonight once again I am sipping my recently acquired bottle of the BOTM, Baker's. It's still my favorite of the JB SBC (Hey! Another acronym!).

Even so, I'm not enjoying this bottle (total acquisition cost = $50) as well as the previous one (tac = ~$33), which was on sale at Binny's about three years ago. Ceteris paribus, a bargain always tastes better. Funny how that works, isn't it?

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Jazzhead
03-28-2006, 20:39
I'm trying my first bottle ever of Russell's Reserve, the 101 proof variety. Great stuff! I can read all the enthusiasm around here for Wild Turkey products - I have quite a world to discover.

mythrenegade
03-28-2006, 20:47
Tonight I am drinking Elijah Craig 12 year on the rocks.

After trying this based on the recommendations here I've made it my regular pour for a while. When this bottle gets low It will be back to Maker's Mark for me for a while until I find something new to try regularly.

Joel

Virus_Of_Life
03-28-2006, 23:25
Since I found a potential replacement bottle, and 1.75L one at that :grin: , I decided for what has not doubt become one of my favorites - Wild Turkey 8 year. GREAT STUFF! And a shame they don't make this anymore, when I pick up that 1.75 I'll have an open door for anyone passing through the area to stop in and give this a try if they have never had it...

TNbourbon
03-29-2006, 06:42
...Wild Turkey 8 year. GREAT STUFF! And a shame they don't make this anymore...

Oh, they make it! They just don't sell it in the U.S.

Whiskey Willie
03-29-2006, 10:38
The bourbon experience expands...I bought some KC and WT101 last weekend. The KC is strong and a bit tangy on the start while the WT101 has a strong finish.

The Duke
03-29-2006, 18:53
Over clear ice, 3 fingers of Wathens single barrel. The first few glasses (not all tonight but over the past week) didn't seem to agree with my taste buds but this time I gave it plenty of time to settle. With a bit of melt it was much better this time. I found it to have a buttery aftertaste. Very nice.

CrispyCritter
03-29-2006, 19:38
Now that I have a spare bottle on hand, I've revisited my already-opened Fall '05 Stagg, to follow up a pour of Cluny (a shockingly cheap yet surprisingly good blended Scotch).

Even with my experience having had three different versions of Stagg, it still amazes me how easy it is to drink, given it's extremely high proof. Of course, it requires small sips, but, when you don't overdo it, the heat is more reminiscent of spice than of alcohol, and it doesn't burn on its way down.

This is all the more surprising, having had a run-in with Bacardi 151 way back when!

JeffRenner
03-29-2006, 19:42
I think this is the first time I've posted to this particular thread, other than to comment on another post.

I normally work for about 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours each evening making bread dough for the next day (I have a small wholesale artisanal French bread bakery just off the house), and don't often have the energy to be analytical about what I have for a night cap, but this evening I didn't need to make much dough for tomorrow, so I decided to think about what was in my glass and write a bit about it.

So, anyway, I decided to revisit Elijah Craig 12-yo for the first time in perhaps six months. I was ambivalent about this whiskey in the past, as is the general opinion of it on this forum. But I decided to try the "corked" bottle (2003) I had on hand as it no longer seemed to have that musty, damp earthen cellar aroma that it had when I first opened it more than a year ago. (HH sent me a check to replace it.)

Indeed, that nasty off-aroma has entirely dissipated, and, what's more, I am no longer ambivalent about this bourbon. I find it to be wonderful. It has that HH house aromatic character - menthol/eucalyptus/wintergreen (dare I say teaberry? :) ), with sweet orange peel and brown sugar. The palate follows the nose, with honey and dried fruit as well, and some dry, bitter oak for contrast and balance. The finish again is in keeping with the nose and palate - very together with no surprises. (Sometimes you seem to get jerked around from nose to palate to finish with different impressions.)

This is really better than I remembered. Is it because it's been open for 18 months?

As a matter of fact, I find it to be exquisite. It has moved into my top few bourbons. (Do I need to return the replacement check to HH?)

So I tried a 2004 bottling that was nearly empty, and it was so similar (depsite their being small batches) that I can't tell the difference. A testimony to the skill of the master distiller and his choice of barrels - or to my inability to distinguish!).

Then I decided to compare and contrast it to HH Very Old Rare 10-yo BiB because of a previous post (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=53958&postcount=162) by Gary Gillman, who said:

I have never come to terms really with Heaven Hill's bonded 10 year old ... in my view it does not show the house characteristics to their best.

I agree that it has nowhere near the finesse and balance of the EC12, but I like it for its straightforward, assertive character. Where EC12 dances, this marches.

Again, it has the menthol etc. (though more subdued) with those dried fruits of the EC12, but with a bit more oiliness. Done wrong, this could be plodding, but rather it is solid and confident. (Oh, hell, I hate these kinds of anthropomorphic descriptors, but I seem to be into them this evening!:blush: )

But there is no question that this is my favorite $10 bourbon. Favorite $10 spirit, period.

If I try to pin these impressions down further, I'll just end pouring more than I want, so I'll cut it off now while I think I'm ahead and go to bed.

Cheers from Ann Arbor

Jeff

Gillman
03-29-2006, 23:23
All good points, Jeff. It is hard to account for the changes, or seeming changes, in a particular bottle. In some cases the whiskey seems to improve, in others to decline, in yet others to the stay the same. I can understand your frank appreciation of the bonded 10 years Heaven Hill. Jim Murray admires it too and I think its confident, brash character appeals to many. And it is certainly an excellent value. But EC 12 is better in my view, for the reasons you also noted. Against the opinion of some on the board, I admire EC 18 year old the most of the Heaven Hill range. It has a rich old-timey bourbon character. It would be interesting to try a HH/EC in the range of 15 years or so. To my knowledge that bracket is not offered by the company.

Gary

Virus_Of_Life
03-30-2006, 01:03
Oh, they make it! They just don't sell it in the U.S.

I did not realize that! I thought both the 12 and the 8 year were no longer produced...

Anyway tonite it was Sazerac Jr, loved it when I first tasted it, but tonite for some reason it seemed a little empty or watery on the tongue, still good later but the frist taste just seemed watery and weak. Then for kicks I just had the urge to drop in an ice cube and man did that bring alive the flavors! Amazing, maybe the watery mouth feel was just my palate's way of telling me I needed to add an ice cube to this - something I rarely do.

Sazerac with ice cube was wonerful, all the great flavors of my spice rack with a touch of yeasty bread. Buffalo Trace amazes me!...

I have to go get more of this next payday!!!

jeff
03-30-2006, 04:41
Ah Wathens, now there's some good stuff. I prefer the older bottlings but the newer stuff if very very good. I think I have an idea for April's BOTM. :yum:

Edward_call_me_Ed
03-30-2006, 08:14
Even with my experience having had three different versions of Stagg, it still amazes me how easy it is to drink, given it's extremely high proof. Of course, it requires small sips, but, when you don't overdo it, the heat is more reminiscent of spice than of alcohol, and it doesn't burn on its way down.

Hi Crispy,
You have said this before and many others have said the same. However, I find the Stagg Spring 05 (Which is the only Stagg I have had. I am half way through my third and last bottle.) very difficult to drink. I wonder why that is. I often enjoy high proof bourbon and other high proof spirits, too. Stagg usually burns, and burns badly, unless cut to wishy washy proof. Once in a while I have a pour and it is the perfect whiskey. Then on another occasion, one time later the same night, it is molten lead poured down my throat.

Time to try it again. Well, the stars are in the proper alignment and it is going down smoothly. In fact, it is wonderful! But so many times I have had to cut it down to about 70 proof just to get it down with out pain...

Ed

NorCalBoozer
03-30-2006, 10:26
Ed, I wonder if it may be that Stagg is unfiltered and seems to have quite a bit of particulate in it. Sometimes it produces a tickle in my throat and seems kind of like my throat is a bit irritated. Maybe this is what you are experiencing as well?

Its like the small wood particulates get stuck in my throat in a sense. I know it's not from the alcohol proof.

Hi Crispy,
You have said this before and many others have said the same. However, I find the Stagg Spring 05 (Which is the only Stagg I have had. I am half way through my third and last bottle.) very difficult to drink. I wonder why that is. I often enjoy high proof bourbon and other high proof spirits, too. Stagg usually burns, and burns badly, unless cut to wishy washy proof. Once in a while I have a pour and it is the perfect whiskey. Then on another occasion, one time later the same night, it is molten lead poured down my throat.

Time to try it again. Well, the stars are in the proper alignment and it is going down smoothly. In fact, it is wonderful! But so many times I have had to cut it down to about 70 proof just to get it down with out pain...

Ed

The Duke
03-30-2006, 16:01
Jeff,
The Walthens was recommended when the store I usually buy from did not have a bottle of George Dickel on hand. The manager recommended it as a nice change of pace. I usually find the nice vanilla aftertaste on George to be very enjoyable but I might be persuaded to include the Walthens from now on.

BourbonJoe
03-30-2006, 16:22
Tonight I had a pour of Eagle Rare Old Prentice Lawrenceburg 101. This stuff is VERY good (and very rare).

brian12069
03-30-2006, 18:14
Thedford, first time pour.

CrispyCritter
03-30-2006, 20:31
I started out with a pour of good ol' BT, and now some WT 101. I'll probably pour some Dickel #12 for a nightcap...

scratchline
03-30-2006, 23:32
Doing a side-by-side of Turkeys: 8 yr and 12 yr gold foil. I am finally opening and trying these two bottles after a long and, thankfully, fruitful search. Actually opened the 8 yr several nights ago and was very impressed. But putting it beside it's older sibling really reveals the simplicity of the 8 yr bottling. A nice color and corn sweetness in the mouth. A great lively whiskey. But four more years in the barrel really ups the ante. The color is an amazing red. More intense cookie flavors in the nose: vanilla, brown sugar, chocolate. And in the taste much more leather and tobacco balancing the sweetness. It's a fantastic whiskey and I can see why folks are so enthusiastic about it. Next step is to pick up a bottle of the RR 101 and put that into the line up.

-Mike

BourbonJoe
03-31-2006, 04:00
Thedford, first time pour.
What did you think about it?

Whiskey River
03-31-2006, 16:11
Having my first pour of Bookers. Although I'm new to bourbon, and have only had 2 other bottles ( Makers, amd Knob Creek) Bookers is by far the best whiskey I've had. My bottles of single malt scotch are being pushed farther and farther back in the corner.

gothbat
03-31-2006, 20:12
Bakers. Good stuff, I reached for this bottle because I can't find another place that has any Elijah Craig 18 though, if I had I'd probably be drinking that right now.

brian12069
04-01-2006, 03:45

I enjoyed it but I had some spicey chicken beforehand, threw my taste buds off a little. I'll have to try this one again and keep you posted.

mrt
04-01-2006, 10:56
Jim Beam Black...and what comes to my mind now is "richer" than JD.

brian12069
04-01-2006, 15:37

Regarding Thedford, I tried it again tonight and the first thing I thought was, thick and ritch, a hint of caramel. I really enjoyed this one.

JeffRenner
04-01-2006, 17:09
No, I don't mean the so-called "perfect manhattan," which is made with equal parts sweet and dry vermouth plus whiskey, rather than all sweet vermouth. I finally tried making one of those a few years ago and ended up pouring it down the drain. In my opinion, it lacked perhaps the most important component of an ideal cocktail (even in ones I don't personally care for) - balance.

No, I'm speaking of the one I have just finished, and which I am having a helluva time keeping myself from making (and drinking) another of - one made with the new Sazarac Rye.

I do think this may be the best manhattan I have ever had. I just spent a very enjoyable but tiring day brewing a batch of dry Irish stout on the hard concrete floor of my brewery, err, I mean, my garage. It went wonderfully well. But I am beat, my old knees are achin', and I was looking forward to a preprandial cocktail.

I had picked up a couple of bottles of the Sazarac Jr. in KY a couple of weeks ago (despite the shelf label "one to a customer"), and had had it neat a couple of time. But this was the first time I'd tried it in my favorite cocktail.

Well, now it's gone, so I'll have to try to remember it. I used two ounces Saz. Jr. to one ounce Boissiere sweet vermouth, with two dashes of Angostura bitters and garnished with a maraschino cherry.

The balance was perfect, and the spiciness of the rye is what made it so distinctive. Maybe I'll try to describe it more precisely another time, but for now, let me just say that it seemed to me to be just about a perfect manhattan.

Jeff

gothbat
04-01-2006, 21:44
Rock Hill Farms. Picked it up today, along with a few others, at this awesome liquor store I found about an hour away from my house.

wku88
04-01-2006, 21:54
Heaven Hill 10 Year old...again. This stuff gets better every pour. Might even be better than the EWSB, even though it comes from the same place... and MUCH cheaper.

sc500mbsc
04-02-2006, 19:47
In my Reidel bourbon glass tonight is some Russell's Reserve. I am just now starting the process of tasting and not drinking, so each taste isa new experience. I look forward to broadening my horizons over the years. I have come to realize that I will have to venture outside of Alabama to find some of the more exoctic pleasures of the bourbon world.

gothbat
04-02-2006, 20:56
Old Rip Van Winkle 10 YO 107. I'm enjoying this one alot more than I did the RHF I had last night.

gothbat
04-02-2006, 21:40
Enjoying the last sip of the Elijah Craig 18 that's in my snifter right now and going to bed. This stuff is great!

Edward_call_me_Ed
04-03-2006, 06:39
Ed, I wonder if it may be that Stagg is unfiltered and seems to have quite a bit of particulate in it. Sometimes it produces a tickle in my throat and seems kind of like my throat is a bit irritated. Maybe this is what you are experiencing as well?

Its like the small wood particulates get stuck in my throat in a sense. I know it's not from the alcohol proof.

I don't think that is the case. My first two bottles seem to have had very little sediment. Even the last pour had only a little charcoal powder in it. I drank it that way it was a bit rough on the throat, in the way you describe, but not in a burning sort of way.
Ed

brian12069
04-03-2006, 14:56
Right now...OGD 114...delicious.

gothbat
04-03-2006, 21:07
Fighting Cock 103. One of my favories and it's probably the cheapest bourbon I buy. :)

CrispyCritter
04-05-2006, 18:34
Right now, I'm sipping some W.L. Weller 12 (90 proof), after some standard WT101 and an earlier pour of (Irish) Redbreast 12. Three very different whiskeys, all delicious. :yum:

pepcycle
04-06-2006, 06:32
Thanks to Jeff Renner for turning me on to this one. I just never seemed to have picked it up.
This is a goodie. If you have the 1993 EWSB, then you probably know what this tastes like, but for less than half the price. Move over VOB 100. My new favorite everyday pour. (Till I find another)
Nicely balanced, sweet aroma matched by caramel and "Heaven Hill" essence.

Ambernecter
04-06-2006, 12:47
Bulleit 80 proof AGAIN!

I have moved to a smaller town out of London for a while and the availability of good Bourbon is a problem... I have the RHF I bought on my last London visit but am, for the time being, resisting temptation!

Give me strength!!!

JeffRenner
04-06-2006, 15:15
Thanks to Jeff Renner for turning me on to this one. I just never seemed to have picked it up.

At your service - you are most welcome!

I was, in turn, tipped off by Jim Murray's Whiskey Bible. Murray gives it a 93 and writes of it, "an astonishing bourbon, the type that makes you glad to be in the know. Brilliant."

There I was a couple years ago in a Kentucky liquor store, standing in front of this $9.99 retro-looking bottle and label, reading this praise. It wasn't hard to decide to buy it. And then when I got home, I found that it was all he said.

Jeff

pepcycle
04-06-2006, 16:48
Just my luck. Now, I agree with Murray. I was just getting to the point where I thought that we saw things differently. I mean, giving JB white a higher rating than Pappy 20.

DrinkyBanjo
04-07-2006, 05:07
Last night I had Sazerac 18 2005 and Eagle Rare 17 2005. While I enjoyed both tremendously the Sazerac really went the extra mile.

Great stuff.

jburlowski
04-07-2006, 10:23
Bulleit 90 proof...

I got re-introduced to this fine bourbon a few weeks ago on a week-long business trip. All the hotel bar had (and we were out in the middle of nowhere!) besides the ubiquitous Jim Beam White was Bulleit. I found I really enjoy the caramel / vanilla nose and the delightful spicy rye finish.

Now I'm enjoying some out on my deck. It's a glorious spring afternoon here in Northern Kentucky so I decided to take off from work. Enjoying the sunshine, breeze, and the singing of the birds, along with a good bourbon. Doesn't get much better than this....

gothbat
04-07-2006, 21:26
It's finally Friday and I've popped open my bottle of PVW20! :)

CrispyCritter
04-07-2006, 23:17
I'm having a bit more than usual, but only my last one qualifies as a bourbon. :slappin:

First pour: Rittenhouse Rye BIB. This has become enough of a favorite that I just bought a bottle today (well, that's yesterday now), even though my current bottle is half full.

Second pour: Bruichladdich 3D first edition (The Peat Proposal). I wanted a peat fix, and this filled the bill admirably. It keeps the floral character of the typically lightly-peated 'Laddies, and kicks the peat up several notches. I have yet to try the "Moine Mhor" second edition, but that'll be next once this bottle is done for.

Next: George Dickel #12. The peat from the previous dram seems to have had an effect here - I noticed a stronger rye note than I've found before. That's not a problem, though...

#4: Powers Gold Label. IMO, the best value in Irish whiskey; even though it's a blend, it has that distinctive Irish pot-still tang to it - and it's less than half the price of Redbreast 12.

The nightcap: Standard WT 101. This falls under "always keep a bottle handy." Spicy-sweet, reasonably priced, plenty of kick - what's not to like?

:drink: :grin: :falling: :slappin:

Geo
04-08-2006, 01:35
Tonight....

Sake...Yuk...
Then...Spanish Coffee...stilll yuk!

Then... 3-fingers of Fall Stagg '05... Now that it good!
Then some Bookers... oh oh...not good enough... back to 2 fingers of Stagg. Man... Three things to say... George T. Stagg... nothin compares! :grin:

Mr Fjeld
04-08-2006, 11:41
Last night I had my third bourbon ever and it was very good. Knob Creek was a success. It's certainly rougher around the edges compared to the Noah's Mill but still very good. Unlike the Noah's Mill I think it benefits with a little water though. I found cold tea leaves, wet tobacco and it's more spicy than Noah's Mill. Same style though.

Christian

SBOmarc
04-08-2006, 14:13
Van Winkle Lot B, such a treat.

ratcheer
04-08-2006, 15:49
Right now, it has been a relaxing Saturday afternoon after mind-bending severe thunderstorms, this morning. So severe that ten people were killed in our neighboring state to the north, Tennessee. My son is handling the charcoal grill for lemon-herb chicken.

So I am doing a little surfing with a Bulleit Manhattan cocktail. 50 ml of Bulleit, 25 of Martini & Rossi Red vermouth, and about three dashes of Angostura bitters, with about six ice cubes.

As little as I like Bulleit (which is very little), this is delicious.

Tim

BourbonJoe
04-08-2006, 17:29
So I am doing a little surfing with a Bulleit Manhattan cocktail. 50 ml of Bulleit, 25 of Martini & Rossi Red vermouth, and about three dashes of Angostura bitters, with about six ice cubes.

Tim

Wish I was there.
Joe :toast:

elkdoggydog
04-08-2006, 17:49
ORVW 10/107
I tasted this for the first time the other night, thought it was OK. Now I really get it. Great stuff.
Tonight I head to a surprise party a friend is throwing for his wife. I am the guy that gets everyone together and sets up for the party. He makes great manhattans, so I see a couple of those in my future.

ratcheer
04-08-2006, 17:51
Wish I was there.
Joe :toast:

I wish you were, too. :cool:

Tim

bluesbassdad
04-08-2006, 22:42
Hirsch 16 y/o, gold foil. I've decided to treat this as the pedestrian dram it sadly became. When my ill-advised stash is gone a few months from now, I plan to revisit the remains of my gold wax bottle and the 20 y/o my son bought me. That way my last impressions of the legendary Michter's/Hirsch bourbon will be favorable.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

EricABQ
04-09-2006, 12:54
Not bourbon this afternoon..............just enjoying the final round of The Masters and finsihing the last of a bottle of VWFRR 13. One of my three favorite distilled spirits I've ever tasted of any variety.

Whiskey River
04-09-2006, 13:13
Having a pour of Bookers, cut with just enough water to bring it down to a little over 100 proof......delightful!

Nebraska
04-09-2006, 16:46
I'll take a stab at this,

Last night I tried ORVW 15. A very pleasurable experience.

Tonight I had Basil Hayden. While at first I thought I didn't care for it, tasted flowery, weak, almost diluted. In my ususal tradition with most things, I gave it a second chance. I found the second time around that maybe an early evening on the patio, kicking back in the spring time or summer and watching the pond, this might be alright.

Definately not an every day or every week, but maybe a seasonal.

I have to admit up to this point my usual evening has been coming in and grabbing a pint glass out of the cabinet, pouring a shot or shot and a half of bourbon in the bottom, filled with filtered ice, then filling the rest of the way with water. Once in a blue moon, i have sipped on a shot, but not very often.

The last two nights I poured about a half a shot and then filled a separate glass with ice and water on the side.

I'm curious about how to get the most from my experience. I read that some of you add a bit of water, some cubes. Do you vary this by the proof? or experiment with each bottle until you find what suitable to you? Or do the same thing with everything?

Regards

Mark

TNbourbon
04-09-2006, 17:05
...I'm curious about how to get the most from my experience. I read that some of you add a bit of water, some cubes. Do you vary this by the proof? or experiment with each bottle until you find what suitable to you? Or do the same thing with everything?

Regards

Mark

Read here:
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2603&highlight=How+do+you+drink

and/or here:
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4355&highlight=How+do+you+drink

Nebraska
04-10-2006, 07:24
thanks Tim, that was very helpful, if not amusing!

I especially liked the post by someone that said, "Drink it the way you want to, the pro's do."

Mark

DrinkyBanjo
04-10-2006, 07:45
Okay, let's summarize the weekend. Friday night I had Van Winkle FRR and Wild Turkey Rye. Both went down nice but for some reason didn't blow me away. I think my palate must be off!

Saturday night I had Tyrconnel (Irish) and then Old Grand Dad 114 and finally a William Larue Weller.

For some reason the OGD 114 didn't sit too well with me. It was a freshly opened bottle and it really didn't open up until I gave it time (a lot) to breath! Once I really let it warm up it was okay but definitely not great. I will have to revisit this one and see what's what.

Ambernecter
04-10-2006, 09:14
Just having an early evening cheeky one!

Maker's Mark in my new Reidel Bourbon glass - it's so dinky and cutsie.

Does help with the nose I guess and I'll approach nosing with caution on the higher proofs!

mrt
04-14-2006, 12:25
Jack Daniels, now in the glass.

brian12069
04-14-2006, 15:26
Pure Kentucky, it's almost all gone, and it is going to almost hurt to see this one go.

Gillman
04-14-2006, 15:39
A blend of probably 50 Bourbons and some Canadians, to which I added a mix of three vermouths, Collins orange bitters and a dash of Lebanese arak. No ice. Sorry you guys ain't here. :)

Gary

RedVette
04-14-2006, 15:46
A blend of probably 50 Bourbons and some Canadians, to which I added a mix of three vermouths, Collins orange bitters and a dash of Lebanese arak. No ice. Sorry you guys ain't here. :)

Gary

Next time, you might wish to try something exotic. :lol:

Tonight is a modest pour of WT12yr. I'm jet lagging pretty hard and it won't take much to send me over the edge. Duty free in Atlanta had the WT12, so this bottle went from Atlanta, to Heidelberg, to Milan to Amsterdam and then to Oklahoma. A well traveled spirit.

Whiskey River
04-14-2006, 16:20
Picked up a bottle of EWSB (first try) on the way home tonight. Simple, and enjoyable. After a long exhausting day at work, seems to hit the spot.

Jazzhead
04-14-2006, 17:04
I opened an old bottle of Bakers (from its first bottling) that I found covered with dust in a local store a couple of weeks back. Unfortunately, it must have been exposed to too much light over the years, because it tastes off. The stuff smells delicious, though. I'm bummed.

But it's nothing that a good pour of Old Foresters won't cure. I've been digging OF lately - it's about as balanced and "true" a flavor profile for bourbon as I can think of.

barturtle
04-15-2006, 00:30
Well, I'm back home in Louisville, and though I brought all my dusties and such, I arrived here with no open bottles(I left none behind when I left for school, and didn't see the point in bringing any here for a mere week) so this eveing it was off to Bourbon's Bistro and a couple pours: FRSB and VROHH. Also had a taste of a friends Weller Centenial (the newer BT version that I have recently noted I've never had) While a decent pour the Weller seemed to be lacking a bit in the nose department (something my friend also commented on when she tried my FRSB). Seems we both wanted the FRSB nose and initial palate with the Weller mid-palate and finish.

jburlowski
04-15-2006, 11:32
This weekend it's Old Weller Antique.... a fine sipping whiskey to accompany the Blue Grass Stakes on TV followed by a little grilling on the deck.

Ambernecter
04-15-2006, 11:40
After one hell of a cross country run and a shower, I am kicking back with a Baker's.

I may just nip downtown for a beer or two later.

I have Bulleit and Knob creek open and to hand lest any visitors chance by later - the Baker's is mine - ALL MINE!

brian12069
04-15-2006, 12:18
After one hell of a cross country run and a shower, I am kicking back with a Baker's.

I may just nip downtown for a beer or two later.

I have Bulleit and Knob creek open and to hand lest any visitors chance by later - the Baker's is mine - ALL MINE!

CROSS COUNTRY?!?!?!?!

Geekboy
04-15-2006, 16:55
As you're sitting in front of your computer reading this forum, what's in your glass? :yum:
To answer your question I just finished Knob Creek after a George Dickel #8.

Am contemplating an Old Forester or Old Overholt next to end the evening.

Ambernecter
04-16-2006, 08:43
I meant running in the countryside, not actually running across the whole country!

That said it'd be a breeze to go from one side of England to the other, compared to your side of the pond...

JeffRenner
04-16-2006, 15:08
Well, I'm not actually drinking it as I sit at my computer, but we had a wonderful Easter dinner this afternoon with dear friends, and the restaurant had a nice bourbon list. So, after a preprandial martini, a glass of California Pinot Noir, and a wonderful rack of lamb dinner, I decided to have my first try at Blanton's.

Now, of course, I was well sated after that three hour meal, so the edge was off my taste buds, but it was certainly a wonderful bourbon. I was most pleased when it arrived at the table in the glass I use at home - Riedel "O" spirits glass.

It had a very enticing nose but was rather hot on the palate until I cut it with a couple of spoonfuls of water. Then it really bloomed and softened.

I won't attempt tasting notes, but my overall impression was that this is a kind of ber-Buffalo Trace mash-bill #2 bourbon. It had the house character (a touch of earthiness) but it was very refined and complex version, with orange, rye, dry oak and a light, dry chocolate (cocoa?). A wonderful finish to a wonderful meal (much better than the desserts the others were having, IMO.)

At $12 for a modest serving, I won't be having more there soon, but then again, it was a bargain since a bottle here is ~$55.

Jeff

barturtle
04-16-2006, 15:16
Last evening after attending a Bats game, Mary and I wondered down to Jockey Silks. We split several pours, Noah's Mill, OC 12, FRSB, and Pappy 23. The Bats won both games (though we skipped out midway through the first of them) and the whiskies were great. It was a perfect night back home in Louisville.

ratcheer
04-16-2006, 18:01
Last evening, just before bed, I opened the bottle of J. W. Dant BIB I bought on closeout a few weeks ago for $12.99.

It had a very good bourbon flavor except for a quite bitter note in the finish. It had good legs in the glass, which surprised me a bit after seeing the fairly pale yellow color in the glass. It has a much prettier color in the full bottle. Good nose, good mouthfeel, and a fairly tame alcohol burn for a whiskey that is probably as young as it can be (doesn't BIB have to be four years old?).

All in all, a very decent pour for the money spent. I would rate it a little higher than Evan Williams Black and a little lower than Old Forester 100-proof after this first sampling. The only real negative was the bitter finish. Too bad they are closing it out and I won't be able to purchase it anymore, at least when at home.

Tim

CrispyCritter
04-16-2006, 19:05
I've just exhausted my open bottle of Fall '05 Sazerac 18 - one more bottle left, to be opened sometime in the future. Now, I've gone Scotch, with some Balvenie 15 Single Barrel. Next up, if I have any more tonight, will be Old Fitz BIB.

Nebraska
04-16-2006, 20:13
Ohhh for a bottle of Sazerac, I'm envious.

Well, as time is going on I'm finding myself basking in the world of Bourbon. I've found I'm quite content with a jigger glass with two narrow cubes from the ice maker and a side of ice water.

I'm enjoying the diversity of what I have purchased already. Tonight I found myself revisiting my current favorites. ORVW 15/107, wow I really love this stuff. EW SB and Eagle rare SB are also to my liking.

I have a much wider selection on the way. I am looking forward to broadening my horizons.

Mark/Nebraska

CrispyCritter
04-16-2006, 20:56
Tonight I found myself revisiting my current favorites. ORVW 15/107, wow I really love this stuff.
Now it's my turn to be envious. ;) Conserve what you have - I made the mistake of polishing off the one bottle I had of it way too quickly, only to discover that I couldn't find another bottle to stash for the future.

I didn't make that mistake with the Saz 18 - but it's going to be a while before I open my other bottle of it.

After tonight's Saz and Balvenie, I had a nip of the Old Fitz BIB, and my nightcap is some WT Rye.

scratchline
04-16-2006, 22:25
Okay, tonight I mixed myself what amounts to a Manhattan made with Amer Picon rather than vermouth, a healthy dash of orange bitters, sweetened with a half teaspoon of sugar syrup. I have not cared at all for regular Manhattans with orange bitters, but this Amer Picon is well suited to the orange bitters. I chose some ND 86 proof Old Grand-Dad which is a pretty fruity bourbon that I thought would suit the orange theme. Finally, I flamed an orange twist over the whole thing and dropped it in.

This Amer Picon is the old 78 proof model and is worth searching out. I think this would be an interesting building block for Gillman in his customizing of the "perfect" Manhattan.

-Mike

Gillman
04-17-2006, 01:15
Yes, that is interesting, thanks. You could view this too as a variation of an Old Fashioned because the Amer Picon supplies both sweet and sour and the orangey flavours fit in well with that drink. I was thinking along similar lines, but using Campari instead. The Campari would seem also to supply the sweet and bitter elements and no bitters would be necessary except maybe orange bitters again.

I've been making Manhattans in part from Dubonnet, where I blend the latter with red vermouth (two or three). Unlike Cinzano, Dubonnet however seems more red wine-based, or less herbal than vermouth (since it is wine-based too). Therefore, the red wine flavor comes out more in the drink, which at first seems odd but not really, it is almost a cherry-like taste and cherries or their juice often flavor Manhattans, so it all comes around..

All these drinks (in fact most cocktails) are variations on a theme of something alcoholic, sweet, bitter and maybe cold.

Gary

scratchline
04-17-2006, 02:41
Gillman, I don't think I've ever had Dubonnet. The cherry flavor idea is interesting since it figures into the Brooklyn cocktail in the form of maraschino liqueur.

The only other time I have used an Amer liqueur was when I made Brooklyns using Torani Amer which has effectively replaced Amer Picon in the US market. I don't have an open bottle here with me to compare to the older Amer Picon, but I remember it having what tasted to me like a distinctive celery flavor and not nearly as much orange as the Picon. That celery note was overwhelmed in the cocktail but was very noticeable when taken neat.

I think you're right. Although it's called a New Deal Cocktail on cocktaildb, a much better name for what I had tonight would be a Manhattan Old Fashioned or an Old Fashioned Manhattan.

I'm sorry I won't be able to partake of your Manhattans at the Sampler. The Manhattan will always hold a special place in my heart since that was my gateway drug to bourbon. I still think it's very hard to beat a well made Wild Turkey Manhattan at cocktail hour.

-Mike

Nebraska
04-17-2006, 18:50
Arrived home a while ago, settling into a pour or two. Feet kicked up, mouth open, I look like a large mouth bass that just hit the hook and line.

I'll start at the beginning of my day. A chain liquor store that I pass almost every day and bypass almost every day because I've stopped at others of the same chain here, caught my eye today for some reason. There sitting on the shelf smiling at me was a lone orphan bottle of ORVW 15yo/107. Being the humanitarian that I am, I decided to bring it home to be amongst it's own kind. The same store had several labels I'd been looking for at somewhat reasonable prices. Buffalo Trace came home with me as well, a label I thought was not in this area.

Right now I'm partaking of the bison delight...I hesitate to make a determination at this point. I suspect that it make take several samplings to formulate a fair and accurate appraisal of this libation. For that matter, in fairness to all considered I may need to purchase a second bottle just to give fair consideration due.

Pardon my drooling at this point...I'm going my another pour of Buffalo Trace.

Regards,

Mark, you can call me Nebraska, or to dinner.

JeffRenner
04-17-2006, 20:16
The cherry flavor idea is interesting since it figures into the Brooklyn cocktail in the form of maraschino liqueur.

Maraschino liqueur is actually nothing like the cherry/almond flavor of maraschino cherries. I don't find that it has anything I would think of as cherry.

Gary Regan calls it "dry, nutty and peppery" in the latest Malt Advocate (second quarter 2006, p. 22, in an article called "The Perfect Manhattan."

I find it kind of perfumy/floral/herbal, and yes, maybe peppery, with some kind of fruity, not cherry, aroma, but all in all, heavy and cloying despite its dryness. It is very distinctive - unique, even, but I guess it just isn't my style.

I have had a bottle of the classic brand, Luxardo (http://www.bevmo.com/productinfo.asp?sku=00000018535&N=168+40+4294955497+4294956630&Nr=Store%3A99&Nr=Store%3A99&area=spirits), for a year or so, which I bought for a cocktail that had, as I recall (I can't seem to find the recipe) gin, maraschino liqueur and champagne. I didn't care for it, and I don't think I really care for the liqueur, either. I tried it in a couple of other cocktails, including Regan's "Manhattan Perfecto" as described in the above article, with no happier results.

Anyone want a nearly full bottle of Luxardo?

Jeff

scratchline
04-17-2006, 20:34
I didn't realize that about maraschino liqueur. Luxardo is the same brand that I have. My girlfriend actually bought it and marinated some cherries in it and that was what I used to make the Brooklyns. I wonder if it could have picked up any cherry flavor from the cherries themselves? Anyway, I never tasted the Luxardo straight.

I returned to the Amer Picon for a cocktail called a Winberry tonight. I found it to be simply a variation on a whiskey sour. I have decided that I am off whiskey sours. I may have had too many recently, but I find the bourbon is often overpowered by the sour taste.

All was rectified, however, when I finished with a nice pour of the very first bottling of Rare Breed. A lovely bourbon for sure. A couple of ice cubes and nothing else. Couldn 't have been happier.

-Mike

ProofPositive
04-17-2006, 22:44
After a long & bad day at the office, settling back with a 3-fold ending to it all as follows in order of consumption:
1) Weller 12
2) Maker's
3) WTRR-101

Virus_Of_Life
04-19-2006, 00:23
Eagle Rare 17 year old, and I gotta be honest after my second night tasting this I am not impressed. So far I think this is just an overpriced bourbon, it's good don't be me wrong, but I don't think it is 50 dollars good when compared to some other less expensive pours...

NorCalBoozer
04-19-2006, 09:40
I do think it's good as well, and my thinking of the ER 17 is that, it's not meant to be/have very powerful/distinct flavors. I think of it more along the lines of a "high end" Makers. A very smooth and nice bourbon with some nice notes.

It's so different from the rest of the Collection, which is comprised of some very distinct bourbons.

As far as price...it does seem steep considering that it is a 90 proof bourbon when compared to Stagg or WLW that are barrel proof. Yes the Saz is also 90 proof but for some reason that one seem worthy of the $50 price.

Eagle Rare 17 year old, and I gotta be honest after my second night tasting this I am not impressed. So far I think this is just an overpriced bourbon, it's good don't be me wrong, but I don't think it is 50 dollars good when compared to some other less expensive pours...

Ambernecter
04-19-2006, 10:39
After a quick gym session I am enjoying an early evening WT 101.

It's just struck me it's been a while since I had a slug of this - and very nice it is too. Hard to beat as an everyday pour so I'll have to get stocked back up with 101.

jspero
04-19-2006, 11:28

This is incidentally what I had last night (although I don't usually drink during the week). I've noted this in another thread somewhere. I don't think it's worth the price difference between ER 17 and ER 10yo SB. It's very good, I just don't think the taste difference justifies the price difference.

Jay

ProofPositive
04-19-2006, 22:41
This is incidentally what I had last night (although I don't usually drink during the week). I've noted this in another thread somewhere. I don't think it's worth the price difference between ER 17 and ER 10yo SB. It's very good, I just don't think the taste difference justifies the price difference.

Jay

Let me recommend the original ER 101 10yo.....my pour of the night. If you can find some, it will soothe your disappointments over all the new fancy bottles that are really ER by name only. I'm looking at the real ER right here in front of me!!!

jspero
04-20-2006, 10:55
Let me recommend the original ER 101 10yo.....my pour of the night.

The 10/101 is my favorite of the bunch. There is a store near by that still (luckily) has about 10 bottles on the shelf. They were down to 2 and put more out a few months ago. I'm pretty much in bourbon heaven around here as far as availability. Between the ER 10/101 ($18) and Weller 12yo ($15), I could PROBABLY due without anything else. They are still my favorites after trying lots of other stuff (I haven't opened my Pappy 23 yet - waiting for the next time I see my dad to celebrate my new son). However, when the ER 10 SB goes on sale for $17, I can't resist. :)

Jay

fogfrog
04-20-2006, 14:42
Ancient Ancient Age 10 Year Old. This stuff is pretty darn good. I bought it on my last trip to KY and like it. It is not expensive. Pretty good! I like the Very Old Barton too though.

ProofPositive
04-20-2006, 22:52
The 10/101 is my favorite of the bunch. There is a store near by that still (luckily) has about 10 bottles on the shelf. They were down to 2 and put more out a few months ago. I'm pretty much in bourbon heaven around here as far as availability. Between the ER 10/101 ($18) and Weller 12yo ($15), I could PROBABLY due without anything else. They are still my favorites after trying lots of other stuff (I haven't opened my Pappy 23 yet - waiting for the next time I see my dad to celebrate my new son). However, when the ER 10 SB goes on sale for $17, I can't resist. :)
Jay

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I opened my first bottle of Weller 12 a few days ago. IMHO, it is the best value out there....by far! I have to pay a bit more for it here in my neck of the woods ($20) but that's OK. It is a bargain at that and a steal at your local price. The retailers in my area love to crow about the best bargain & bang for your buck being WR. Seems like it is always on sale somewhere around here (I wonder why?). I tried it once and was unimpressed. In that category, my winner is Weller 12 and believe it or not, only 1 or 2 stores even carry it around here! So, you are in Bourbon Heaven.....ENJOY!!!!

OH!!, before I forget - back to the subject of this thread (sorry Jeff!): Started the evening with WTRR-101 and finishing it with Weller 12. You can't be that combination!!!!!

ProofPositive
04-20-2006, 23:39
In the previous message, did I mention how good this Weller 12 is? Maybe the fact that I am asking the question contains the answer....huh? Cheers!!!

SBOmarc
04-21-2006, 07:43
Started with ETL neat. Ended the evening with a Blanton's with one cube. It may be me but the Blanton's tasted just a bit off.

mrt
04-21-2006, 12:23
Jim Beam Black over three ice cubes. It started to get hot here...

Whiskey River
04-21-2006, 14:38
Picked up my first bottle of WTRR today..... Sweet honey and vanilla!!!!

On my second pour, and just gets better! I can see now that I'll have to have a bottle of this on hand at all times.

Nebraska
04-21-2006, 15:37
Found an old style bottle of WTRR today that made it's way home with me, but tonight I'm sipping on Pappy 20yo. On first impression, I think I like the Pappy 15 a little better. Not that I don't like it...but the Pappy 15 seems to agree with me a little more.

I have noticed though, that when I go back to a selection for the second time, it often tastes different than the first time, some times subtly, some times a little more dramatically.

Mark/Nebraska

Ambernecter
04-21-2006, 16:35
Had a late friday gym session and decided against going out with my buds.

Smart move on my part!

I am sat listening to Eddie Son House (occasionally playing along) and quaffing WT 101 with my Reidel bourbon glass. What a delight this whiskey is whilst listening to some real good (if slightly basic) blues.

CrispyCritter
04-21-2006, 17:39
On my first pour tonight - Spring '05 Stagg. A fine whiskey for sippin' on the front porch...

gothbat
04-21-2006, 20:51
Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year old (Lot B). I was going to open the bottle of Rare Breed I got today but since this was the end of my first week at my new job I figured I would treat myself. Not that RB isn't a great pour but this stuff is definately a little better imo. Woulda went for the PVW20 but I'm trying to save that one for a while. (Until I get my tax return and go buy another one! :) )

wadewood
04-21-2006, 21:54
Opened up an Erza Brooks 15 YO SB tonight. This bottle is from 2002. I like this bourbon a lot; some fruity notes to it. Hard to find these days, but still some dusty bottles out there.

Dawn has another waiting for me at Sampler:bowdown:, so I had no problems with cracking this one open:yum:

Nebraska
04-22-2006, 16:50
I heard Dane or somebody say "will work for bourbon". Thought I'd be cute today with my wife and said just that, one of those things as you're saying it you know it's gonna be real messed up, but it's coming out of your mouth already.

Anyway, 4 hours later, after I've done 50 million things in the yard...

I've settled into a dash of ORVW 10/90 and a big glass of ice water.

I was waiting to try the Rittenhouse rye 100, but I'm thinking this is the night. That and a shower. You guys are a bad influence.

Mark/Nebraska

CrispyCritter
04-22-2006, 17:36
Eariler this afternoon, I tried making my first Manhattan, using Rittenhouse Rye BIB 3:1 with Martini & Rossi red vermouth, a couple of dashes of Angostura, and the obligatory cherry. It made for a lovely afternoon drink on the front porch. :yum:

Now, I'm having some Weller 12.

pepcycle
04-22-2006, 18:24
Today was just one of those days.
It only takes one or two to keep me in Kentucky
Woke up and headed to the UK arboretum. Hot air balloon race. Foggy but awesome site and sounds.
Headed to the farmer's market and bought fresh locally grown asparagus and new garlic.
Off to Keeneland for the Coolmore Stakes, where I hit the Exacta and a 39:1 show bet.
Took my Winnings to Azur, a local restaurant, where a perfectly cooked veal chop accompanied a BT Manhattan.
Now, its 9PM and I'm out on the deck with a Hemingway Short Story and a VWFRR.
It just doesn't get any better than this. (And its only Saturday)
BTW: Round Trip to Keeneland via BMW convertible, compliments of chauffeur, The Patty.
I am one lucky guy.

Geo
04-22-2006, 19:00
A pour of Buffalo Trace, then some Old Weller Antique 107, and finishing with some nice Fall '05 George T. Stagg. Very tasty! :cool:

Virus_Of_Life
04-23-2006, 04:30
God Bless America, Wild Turkey 12 year!!! Waited a long time to finally have this and since I've finally put away more than 1 bottle I endulged today... And good goly miss molly is this ever every bit as good as I had heard.

It is in that class with ORVW15, Tribute and Hirsch in my humble opinion...

I followed it up with Pure Kentucky XO, decent but nothing spectacular. Then EWSB, weak as usual and finished with ER17 which gets better every time I taste it!

bluesbassdad
04-23-2006, 16:39
Click here (http://www.straightbourbon.com/ubbthreads/showthread.php?p=59569#post59569).

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

gr8erdane
04-25-2006, 00:05
Oh Mark, You got lucky. Most people who quote me to their wives somehow become single again......

BrbnBorderline
04-25-2006, 19:14
Tonite it will be Booker's in honor of my favorite show - NCIS. Jethro Gibbs[Mark Harmon], drinks "125 proof bourbon" while building the boat in his basement.

CrispyCritter
04-25-2006, 19:31
Right now, some Weller Antique, as a followup to an earlier pour of Laphroaig Cask Strength. There's quite a contrast between these two, but I love them both.

Virus_Of_Life
04-26-2006, 23:45
The last taste I am likely to give RHF for the month, hate to say it but it never grew on me much. A time or two it was good at first then by the end of the glass it just wasn't as pleasant. (I know Tim has mentioned a similar find so I tried to disprove myself but after about 8 tastings it never impressed me). Don't get me wrong it's fine bourbon, but as someone pointed out ETL is better, and cheaper as well...

After that I had to have something spectacular, so I opted for Old Rip 15 year! :drink:

bluesbassdad
04-27-2006, 00:32
Christian,

Rule #1 around here is that there is no such thing as a wrong experience of a bourbon. It is what it is. Yours may be different than mine, as in this case, or you might even be unique. No matter.

My personal rule #2 is that taste is subject to change. Heck, I may even learn to love Blanton's and Booker's someday. :grin:

Right now I'm enjoying a tiny sip of Rock Hill Farms, which I poured before I logged on and saw your post. You know what? I still like it a lot, but right this minute it isn't hitting me quite the way I recall. Could that be the result of eating some honey-mustard pretzels earlier? Perhaps.

Worst case, maybe RHF will move down a few notches on my list of favorites. Anything's possible; I even went through a period when Russell's Reserve 101 lost its allure.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

whiskeymaven
04-27-2006, 00:59
Just picked up a bottle of Sazerac 18 yr. I still don;t think it's as good as the 13yo PVWFRR.

Edward_call_me_Ed
04-27-2006, 07:55
Just a minute ago it was American Cowboy 17 year old 86 proof. The label says it is aged in small barrels. Really, Really Good. Anybody else had this or a younger version? I think it might be miss priced as a 12 year old. I might just go back and clear of the shelf.
Ed

Edward_call_me_Ed
04-27-2006, 08:16
Hi Mark/Neberaskan
I just wanted to say greet a fellow Nebraskan. While I have been living on the other side of the Earth from my birthplace for a good long while Nebraska is still home. I miss Mel Maines sometimes...
Ed

Ambernecter
04-27-2006, 16:07
Tonight VW Lot B.

I love this whiskey and had a pour before dinner and two afterwards. One of the smoothest out there I reakon, superb!

GoodDrinkin
04-27-2006, 18:48
This was given to me as a gift. I understand it's quite pricey, but it's unavailable here in NC.

I'm drinking it neat in one of those Reidel Single Malt glasses. (forgive me)

Not a sweet bourbon to me. A little on the hot side for 90 proof or so. Even after sitting a while it doesn't give me that warm aroma I like. Spicy, a little cinnamon. It has a pleasant lingering aftertaste.

Overall a nice bourbon, but if it carries a big price tag I would certainly spend my money elsewhere.

Virus_Of_Life
04-27-2006, 23:19
Pappy 20, decided to open this tonite, a little celebration of sorts because a "promotion" I received back in February finally came to fruition with a raise and upon finally hearing that raise will be on the next pay check it turned out to be one dollar more an hour than what I was originally told. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but on top of what I expected it to be it really helps out!

So pulled the plug on the Pappy 20 year and am I oh so very pleasantly surprised, now I can't dirnk $70 bourbon everyday, but this is good enough to know I can buy a bottle here and there to put away. I love it, but I wish it wasn't so similar to ORVW15; if I had to guess I'd say this is the exact same bourbon that just took a few years longer to reach that flavor. No matter it is still great, just missing that cinnamon red hot finish that Rip15 has.

Do not want to nitpick, this is great stuff!! :toast:

NorCalBoozer
04-28-2006, 09:08
do you happen to have a Weller Centennial? I just tasted a Pappy 20 followed by a Weller Cen. and I thought they were quite close in profile.

I'd be interested in others thoughs on this comparision. Greg.

NorCalBoozer
04-28-2006, 09:42
by the way, there are 2 auctions on ebay. Each auction for 3 bottles of Pappy 20 for $225 plus $18 shipping = $243. That comes out to $81 per bottle, pretty good price for delivery to your door. I don't know the seller and have no affiliation with them. Just though it was a good deal for someone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-PAPPY-VAN-WINKLE-20-Bourbon-WhiskeyCollectible-Bottle_W0QQitemZ6275473416QQcategoryZ13916QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-PAPPY-VAN-WINKLE-20-Bourbon-WhiskeyCollectible-Bottle_W0QQitemZ6275530525QQcategoryZ13916QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

Whiskey River
04-28-2006, 14:02
Sipping a pour of OGD 114. 1st time for me. I really enjoy this side of bourbon..rye, and spicy!! The high alcohol is in perfect balance with its rich mellow flavor. A great "warmer" for a cold and rainy spring day, like it is here right now.

Any suggestions for other bourbons in this same taste range?

RedVette
04-28-2006, 16:04
I lost an aunt today, she was 80-something. Nice lady, a little weird like most people who reach 80, but still real nice. She and my Mother in law would go to an all you can eat buffet with ziplock bags in their purses, secretly filling them with fried chicken and boiled shrimp to go. A bottle of ketchup on the table was not immune from her clutches, she had 100's of bottles of ill gotten condiments in her pantry. Larceny and old lace.

She passed today in California, I won't be able to get to the funeral. So tonight a glass of Pappy 20 is getting raised into the air, a private wake, a glass of honor.

R.I.P.

brian12069
04-28-2006, 16:20
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad day at work. Actually it was ok until 4pm, anyway, DAMN this Elmer T Lee single barrel is good, yup, I feel better now.

CrispyCritter
04-28-2006, 16:24
I'm having some Weller 12 for an opener. Next, I'm probably going to open an OGD 114 that I haven't yet visited.

gothbat
04-28-2006, 21:03
Enjoying a pour from bottle #420 of the 2004 bottling of Classic Cask (13 years old). hehe

Virus_Of_Life
04-28-2006, 21:21
do you happen to have a Weller Centennial? I just tasted a Pappy 20 followed by a Weller Cen. and I thought they were quite close in profile.

I'd be interested in others thoughs on this comparision. Greg.

Sorry I don't have a Weller Centennial open or not, I am going to assume that yours is probably from the Stitzel Weller days if they are seeming that close to you?

Nebraska
04-29-2006, 17:14
Hey Goth,

I've got a bottle of classic cask 13 I haven't popped yet, I'd be curious to know your impressions.

Tonight, I'm revisiting basil Hayden. I haven't had this in a while. This first round with this it seemed flowery to me. It still seems very mild, maybe even a little flowery, but I won't be as hesitant to go back to it as i was before. Like the first time, I think on a warm summer night on the patio it might fit the bill.

Mark/Nebraska

gothbat
04-29-2006, 23:05
I've got a bottle of classic cask 13 I haven't popped yet, I'd be curious to know your impressions.

Well, tasting the Classic Cask again tonight. As for my impressions, Im afraid I have trouble distinguishing individual flavors in many whiskeys I try and after a second taste this is still one of them. It seems that there is some maple in the nose though, that stands out to me. As for the flavor itself the word that comes to mind is woody, also a bit spicy. Wish I could be more descript. Id say its pretty good, definitely above average although not the best I've had.

T47
04-30-2006, 00:04
Here in the Seattle area it was 75 yesterday, and today...36 with some snow! Weird?

I am enjoying my first taste of GT Stagg (Spring 05), made possible by a kind SB.com member. So tonight I am toasting all of you lucky folks in KY, hope you are having a wonderful time. Here's to you :toast:

This Stagg is wonderful, it's like warm slippers and a hot fire. Nice to just slow down and enjoy it, something to be savored...Someone on this forum said once that even more than what is in the bottle, it is who they enjoyed it with or maybe how they obtained it that really makes a bottle special. They save the empty bottle because of the many memories that were made getting it that way. Well this will be a special one for me. Obtained through kindness, and now shared with some friends who are truly appreciating it. Uh oh, it's late and I am beginning to prattle on...what is the proof of this stuff again....:grin:

bluesbassdad
04-30-2006, 01:31
Tonight it's Blanton's. I'm enjoying it more than I ever remember, whether this half-full bottle or the couple of bottles I've drunk previously.

In the past it's struck me as being acrid, sooty and harsh in a gentle way (if that makes any sense). Tonight I find a slight sweetness and some pleasant oaky notes. Puzzling. All the more so, given that I was disappointed with Rock Hill Farms, one of my long-time favorites, a couple of nights ago.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Virus_Of_Life
04-30-2006, 03:24
Not quite sure what that was I poured, Weller Antique with a splash of VWFRR to give it a Rye note. Follwed that up with a shot of Old O. and a shot of Sazerac - I love this stuff! Not the best for sipping but for just shooting or mixing it is perfect! :drink:

As Todd said I hope ya'll in Bardstown are enjoying yourselves and having a good time. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be there so I hope you report back with some info for us and truly appreciate your time there...

mrt
04-30-2006, 10:14
I have Jack Daniels on the rocks at the moment.

fogfrog
04-30-2006, 11:52
Trying to kill of this AAA 10YO

NorCalBoozer
04-30-2006, 19:10
Sorry I don't have a Weller Centennial open or not, I am going to assume that yours is probably from the Stitzel Weller days if they are seeming that close to you?

not sure. It's a frankfort bottling which was hand selected by bevmo. Dougdog got me onto this one, he had it at one of his get togethers. My guess is that it is S/W.

I just did another comparison. They do seem really close to me. Both have that fruity/flowery nose. I get honey on the finish, especially with the Pappy. Not as much on the Centennial, it's proof and oakiness is stronger and seem to overpower the finish.

Pappy 20 is 90 proof. It has a more mature taste. much more well rounded. The flavors melt into each other very well. finish is honey.

Weller is 100 proof. Has a younger, more brash taste. The same flavors seem to be present, but each is much sharper and less connected to the next.

Virus_Of_Life
04-30-2006, 23:38
not sure. It's a frankfort bottling which was hand selected by bevmo. Dougdog got me onto this one, he had it at one of his get togethers. My guess is that it is S/W.

The Frankfort is not SW, but doesn't mean it isn't good bourbon. I don't see myself getting one anytime soon, but I'll keep it in mind. I have seen those you refer to at Bevmo, try not to shop there too often anymore though...

jspero
05-01-2006, 09:44
Last night it was WT Rye followed by EW SB '95. I wasn't a big fan of either, but both seem to be tasting better to me as time goes by.

As an aside, a couple of weeks ago I had some WT Rye and some Pikesville rye side-by-side. By itself, I could not taste too much of the fruitiness I've heard attributed to the Pikesville, but side-by-side with the WT, it really came out.

Jay

ProofPositive
05-02-2006, 22:24
Last night it was WT RR101 followed by opening my first bottle of ORVW 15-107....had a generous pour of both. Tonight - going solo with Old Rip.....this is the best bourbon I have ever had to date! Laissez Le Bon Ton Roulez!

GoodDrinkin
05-03-2006, 18:55
My first taste of OGD 114. I found some today here in NC. It's not common in these parts and according to the man at the ABC store it's going off the state list.

Powerful, but with lots of flavor. It takes a few sips to get used to the power, but I like it very much. Not for the faint of heart when served neat.

Nebraska
05-03-2006, 19:16
Sat down to my first swig, and I do mean swig, of Fleischmann's...wow...I was going to say RYE...I apparently did not look close enough at the label and have noticed what I bought was a blended whiskey...hummm...time to have the glasses checked. No wondered it tasted soooo off.

lol...expert taster...signing off here

Mark/Nebraska

elkdoggydog
05-03-2006, 20:11
I've got reading up to my eyeballs tonight. Hopefully I can close out the evening with an OGD 114 and some baseball highlights. That means about 3 more hours with the books, though.

TNbourbon
05-03-2006, 20:36
I came home with an obscene number of open bottles from a couple of tastings during the just-past Sampler in Bardstown -- 29, I think!:rolleyes:
Anyway, by dribbles and drams, I'm tasting a few of them -- just enough to waken the tastebuds with each. So far:

1959 Heaven Hill 7yo/86 proof; OFBB 1989/2002;
1962 Old Overholt 100-proof rye;
Suntory Royal blend (suprisingly pleasant!);
ORVW Old Time Rye 12yo;
a Gary Gillman vatting of 100+ Scotch and malt whiskies (Well done, Gary! When reduced to just minority elements of many, even the aspects of Scotch I don't like -- peatiness, iodine, et al -- add compelling complexity to the whole);
Jim Beam 180-month from the early-'70s (try getting that much flavor from an 80-proofer today:bigeyes:);
and Classic Cask 22yo (2004) rye.

My 'full' pour -- after a couple of pieces of cheese -- is an ounce or so of Baker's from a Batch No. B-85-001 bottle which I'm assured is much richer and deeper than today's version. It ain't bad!

ProofPositive
05-03-2006, 21:59
After spending the last 2 nights with Old Rip, going to a younger cousin tonite - Weller 12. In fact, much to my surprise, I finished the bottle off with one pour into a rocks glass. Where did it all go so fast???!!! It was only a few days ago that I brought home this first bottle of Weller 12....really good stuff...has more depth than most 90 proofs I have experienced.

DrinkyBanjo
05-05-2006, 05:12
Last night was Old Weller Antique 107, Old Rip Van Winkle 10 107, and finally GTS Spring 05. The Old Weller really blows me away, I love this stuff! I liked the ORVW 10 107 much better this time than the last time I had it. And the GTS, well what can you say about it? I think it's the best nose in the business. I have about one glass left in that bottle, good thing I have another 05 Spring in the bunker in case of an emergency!

jburlowski
05-05-2006, 14:37
Old Weller Antique 107 (Louisville label).... I made a "dusty corners" discovery on the way home from work and snared two more bottles! So tonight I'm enjoying a VERY healthy pour from the bottle that I had been judiciously nursing for a long time.

What a great way to start Derby Weekend!

BobA
05-05-2006, 15:00
Last night was the last of a bottle of Bulleitt, left from a camping trip. I think this is one that is particularly suseptible to whatever your tastebuds have been up to lately. Had it before dinner, and it was expressing its "frontier" nature. Memories of previous home samplings brought to mind things like '"soft" and "floral." With woodsmoke, it seems to have both character and just the right rough edge.
Bob

brian12069
05-05-2006, 18:16
ORVW 15 yr 107...it ain't easy bein' me...

gothbat
05-05-2006, 21:41
WT Rare Breed

T47
05-05-2006, 23:47
Finished off a bottle of OGD 114. This is a bottle I will always try to have on hand. My favorite is still Bookers, but at about 1/2 the price, OGD 114 has a great flavor that really hits me just right.
Hope you all have an excellent weekend.

elkdoggydog
05-06-2006, 11:49
Mint Juleps today- made with OGD 86. Gotta be properly prepared to watch the horses run in a big circle.
Maybe a little ORVW 10/107 later, to close things out.

Jazzhead
05-06-2006, 16:29
I finished off a bottle of Eagle Rare, and then cracked an interesting Canadian whiskey I saw today - Four Creek Barrel Select. If this is the result of creative blending, then I likey! Very smooth, sweet, drinkable stuff. This bottle won't last long.

NorCalBoozer
05-06-2006, 16:32
Mint Juleps today- made with OGD 86. Gotta be properly prepared to watch the horses run in a big circle.
Maybe a little ORVW 10/107 later, to close things out.

has some mint julips with the race, then cracked open my bottle (plastic) of "Heritage" that I picked up at Albertson's. This bourbon seems to meet all the minimum requirements to be called "Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey". It's 80 proof and boldly states "This whiskey is at least 36 months old". Got a 1.75 for $9.99. It was on sale and the 750 ml was more expensive than the 1.75, at around $12.99. It taste mostly like bourbon flavored water, with a strong plastic aftertaste.

SBOmarc
05-06-2006, 17:10
Lot B

I can't seem to justify drinking anything else.

Virus_Of_Life
05-06-2006, 18:50
TheraFlu! This cold has me whooped!!! Hoping that the night time in the TheraFlu along with about 1/2 a shot of Basil Hayden will help me get back to sleep. TheraFlu please take me away!................

Did watch the Derby today which was neat, never made a point of watching it before, I am adding that to my list of things to go see...

brian12069
05-06-2006, 18:50
ORVW 15 yr 107 AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BobA
05-07-2006, 13:39
I too finished the last of a bottle of OGD 114. And took one of the ones from the back of the closet (I misinterpreted someone's post a couple of months ago and had concerns about continued availabilty) and moved it to the front of the rotation, where it always stays.
Bob

Geo
05-07-2006, 15:33
Old Weller Antique 107, followed by a nice pour of George T. Stagg.

Yummm.. And nice to wind down the weekend.

tachyonshuggy
05-07-2006, 17:09
Buffalo Trace, the "current daily pour," from a gigantic 1.75 bottle. I feel like I'm pouring from one of those enormous Chianti bottles that they give you at the "family style" Italian restaurants.

CrispyCritter
05-07-2006, 18:54
After that big Manhattan, I'm now sipping some PVW 15. The last time I had it, it seemed a bit different than ORVW 15/107 (but still outstanding), even though Julian is on record as saying it's the same whiskey. This time around, though, it's a dead ringer for the ORVW bottling. Must just be my ever-changing tastebuds.

I finished off a bottle of Eagle Rare, and then cracked an interesting Canadian whiskey I saw today - Four Creek Barrel Select. If this is the result of creative blending, then I likey! Very smooth, sweet, drinkable stuff. This bottle won't last long.
That's Forty Creek ;), and yes it is good stuff. It's indeed a great blending (and so is their "Three Grain"). I have to really watch out when I'm drinking it.

Gillman
05-07-2006, 19:08
I fully agree. Canadian whisky makers pride themselves on being good blenders. Forty Creek's John Hall really has mastered the area. So have some of our larger long-established concerns. The Wiser's Special Reserve issued a couple of years ago, Canada's only 43% abv whisky as far as I know that is domestically available, is a superb example of blending skill. The blender gets an interesting orange-like note although I doubt any flavoring is added to this whisky. Schenley OFC and Limited Edition (one of the premium versions of Crown Royal) also are very good. As many know here I like to make my own variations, one of my favourites combines Barrel Select, 3 grain, a small amount of Lot 40 and sometimes one more whisky, it might be Royal Reserve or almost any Canadian whisky that is not too old and has a good but mild flavor.

Gary

asnigro
05-07-2006, 20:14
Just bought a fresh bottle of Eagle Rare single barrel, I'm not sure what I think about it yet.

wskybnt
05-07-2006, 20:25
After all the talk, I found some OGD 114. And it is some good $^*!. For the $$$ I will try to keep it around with the everydays pours like 101, BT, OW Ant 107, 12yr old Weller, and ETL.

jburlowski
05-08-2006, 14:22
Yesterday it was Eagle Rare 17 on the deck.... a personal favorite!

jburlowski
05-08-2006, 14:23
Yesterday it was ER17 on the deck.... a personal favorite!

Whiskey River
05-08-2006, 15:27
On my second pour of WT RB. A great bourbon! Right in my taste profile. Rye and spicy!!

Nebraska
05-08-2006, 16:42
last night the Mrs and I had a bit of Pama on the Rocks. Nice way for both of us to end the weekend.

Tonight, it's bulleit. First time out of the gate with this, I didn't care for it at all, thought it was a BIG waste of money. This time I'm not going to be quite so harsh. The first one went down pretty easy. The second not quite as easy, but still alright.

First bottle I found for about $25 something, my back up bottle I found the other day for $18 and change. For that price I'm not going to complain too much.

Mark/Nebraska

Gillman
05-08-2006, 16:50
I had Bulleit in Bardstown recently (twice, from different bottles) and was a little disappointed. It had the signature peppermint taste (spicy cinammon) but the mouthfeel was not as soft as I recall from two years ago and the flavor not quite as fine. At that time, Bulleit seemed almost as good as Four Roses Single Barrel. I guess each lot or barrel differs and maybe the current bottlings are somewhat lesser than what was aimed for originally. I intend to persist, because I think the goals of the distillery are high, as shown by the early Bulleit bottlings (from Four Roses - I never had the one from Trace) and that it will return to form.

Gary

wskybnt
05-08-2006, 20:35
Bakers tonight. It is one of my top 5. Something about all these 107 whiskey's....

BourbonSteve
05-08-2006, 20:49
I had Bulliet for the first time last week and quite enjoyed it. Didn't expect much but was pleasantly surprised. Tonight tho was a dance with Rock Hill Farms, still the best pour I've had to date although I'm pleased with JB black label time and again.

ProofPositive
05-08-2006, 22:40
Opened up my first bottle of Weller Centennial tonight. In comparison to the Weller 12 I just polished off, the Centennial is the winner by a nose.....10 proof to be exact. I was extremely impressed by the 12 but this Centennial is a bit more lively and smoother than I expected on the back-end. That is the 100 proof coming out I suppose - and the reason I would prefer it ever so slightly over Weller 12. However, never turn down an opportunity for either one! Another salute to Buffalo Trace!!!

DrinkyBanjo
05-09-2006, 05:57
I've never tired the Centennial but I do have the Antique 107. If you haven't tried it yet go out and get some!

Ambernecter
05-09-2006, 08:26
WT 1855 Reserve straight up!

A very nice pour to enjoy late afternoon with no work on.

SBOmarc
05-09-2006, 20:57
It was a tough call but tonight's pour is Weller 107. It is mighty tasty.

alphaiii
05-09-2006, 21:01
Weller seems to be a hit tonight. I had some of the Weller 12 a little bit earlier.

For those of you who like the Weller Antique 107, how does it compare to the Weller 12, in your opinion?

DrinkyBanjo
05-10-2006, 08:10
I like the Weller 12 a little better at the lower proof. The 107 is almost a bit too much but that said it is a very tasty bourbon. I've never had them back to back.

BobA
05-10-2006, 08:49
Last night was OGD BIB. Had recently finished a bottle of 114, and thought I'd try the BIB again. I now remember why the BIB had sat for a few of months after opening. At first, a pleasant reminder of the 114, just a little less so as to flavor. But then there was a touch of harshness on the finish of the BIB, which I have never gotten from the 114, and I remembered that I had hoped the "open bottle" effect would take that away. I don't recall this with earlier bottles of BIB, so it may be this batch. Or it might be the Beam yeast; the taste is a little reminiscent of the JB white after taste. Still worth drinking, though.

Bob

MurphyDawg
05-10-2006, 10:56
Last night I had old Ezra seven year with a La Gloria Cubana Wavell, maduro. and it was quite the tasty combination, realtively cost effective as well!

TomC

pepcycle
05-10-2006, 12:22
I've been disconnected from The Net, on and off for a few days. (Thanks, Insight Cable!!!)
So, I'm reporting on Sunday's festivities that included my son graduating from UK.
Swollen with pride, I was the glowing Poppa, celebrating another milestone in my inevitable and careening slide into being old.
As Cornhole (a beanbag game) and Beer Pong (a drinking game) were going on in the background, the men gathered at the firepit with a bottle of Weller 12 (BOTY) and some Hemingway Short Stories.
The band played Jimi Hendrix in the garage as we celebrated. ("Let me stand next to your fire")
Not a bad evening, considering it rained right up until the moment guests arrived and then it was cool and clear.

GoodDrinkin
05-10-2006, 18:57
Believe it or not it's been quite a while since I've had any Rare Breed. I've been so busy trying other brands I've neglected one of my favorites.

All I can say is it's nice to come home! Even at 108 proof it isn't overpowering or hot. The aroma seems to have a hebal note along with caramel. It has a nice oily feel in my mouth. A slight bit of sweetness on the tip of the tongue and then it explodes in my mouth with a rye spicyness that I love. The finish is warm, but not hot. No burn to me.

That's damn fine whiskey.

Still in my top 3.

Whiskey River
05-12-2006, 14:05
Just finished an EWSB, and will have a drop of Knob Creek before dinner.

Geo
05-12-2006, 17:41
Weller seems to be a hit tonight. I had some of the Weller 12 a little bit earlier.

For those of you who like the Weller Antique 107, how does it compare to the Weller 12, in your opinion?

I prefer the 107 Antique. The 12 yr has little or no finish. Nice and smooth, but tastes watered down in my opinion.

Nebraska
05-12-2006, 18:27
Ed,...anybody that mentions Hendricks, Hemingway and a fire pit in one post deserves a nod and a lift from the bourbon glass.

Tonight it's my first taste of Elijah Craig 12, this one's for you...

Mark/Nebraska

gothbat
05-12-2006, 20:43
A nice big snifter of PVW20. Wasn't paying attention and poured alot more than I wanted too, oh well, guess I can't let it go to waste :).

wskybnt
05-12-2006, 22:23
I am on the ole faithful, bread and butter, WT101. Up till the last year I drank it everynight almost for a couple of years. Now I must have 25 to 30 open bottles that I cycle through, and still have 101 a couple of times a week.

I mean is there really a better bourbon for the $$$.

Edward_call_me_Ed
05-13-2006, 05:49
Finished off a bottle of OGD 114. This is a bottle I will always try to have on hand. My favorite is still Bookers, but at about 1/2 the price, OGD 114 has a great flavor that really hits me just right.
Hope you all have an excellent weekend.

Lucky you . Here OGD 114 is more like 3/4 the price of Booker's. At that price there are other whiskies that I like better. Let me put that another way. There are whiskies that I like better that are also cheaper. I like Booker's well enough to pay the piper. I can't manage to keep a bottle of it open all the time. I drink it faster than I buy it. My bottle of OGD 114, my second, sits there mostly unvisited. It will probably be a while before I buy another bottle so I don't want to drink it up and thereby not have any on hand for when that is the only thing that will do.
Ed

Edward_call_me_Ed
05-13-2006, 06:08
Ed,...anybody that mentions Hendricks, Hemingway and a fire pit in one post deserves a nod and a lift from the bourbon glass.

Tonight it's my first taste of Elijah Craig 12, this one's for you...

Mark/Nebraska

Ed Pepcyle, sounds like a hell of a night. Congrats to your son!

Mark, what do you think of the EC 12?
Ed

Edward_call_me_Ed
05-13-2006, 06:11
Tonight, after having beer, a Japanese whisky, and a gin tonic, I am having a pour of Elmer T Lee. Far and away the best pour of the evening.
Ed

Nebraska
05-13-2006, 09:56
The EC 12 is going to take another try. I've had bad allergy stuff going on lately...unusual for me (could be the 35mph winds outside and everything within 50 miles pollinating all at the same time)...and I think it has thrown my taste buds off temporarily. All I was getting was faint hints of Listerine.

Being the dedicated taster that I am, I'm going to give it another stab tonight. I also managed to find some Eagle Rare 101/10, which I have never tried, so I guess it's going to be both of those tonight. Taste buds willing!

mrt
05-13-2006, 10:59
Early Times bourbon.

Whiskey River
05-13-2006, 14:38
It's 40F and rainy, and the WT Rye I'm having, really hits the spot. I think I'll continue down the bourbon rye road tonight. Next OGD 114, then on to WTRB.

mythrenegade
05-13-2006, 20:23
The EC 12 is going to take another try. I've had bad allergy stuff going on lately...unusual for me (could be the 35mph winds outside and everything within 50 miles pollinating all at the same time)...and I think it has thrown my taste buds off temporarily. All I was getting was faint hints of Listerine.

Being the dedicated taster that I am, I'm going to give it another stab tonight. I also managed to find some Eagle Rare 101/10, which I have never tried, so I guess it's going to be both of those tonight. Taste buds willing!

I look forward to hearing your comments on the EC 12. It seems to have more varied opinions than any other drink around here. I'm wondering if it is very different from barrel to barrel. I really like it, but I've only ever bought one bottle.

"Dedicated taster..." I like it!

I think I'm going to pour some Maker's Mark or Eagle Rare 10 YO.

Joel

Nebraska
05-13-2006, 20:29
Had a great day and tried out the Eagle Rare 101/10yo that I found earlier today. I think my taste buds are still off somewhat, but not as bad as last night. I really liked this pour, although I will say I think I have a definite preference for the ERSB. I did notice that once my cube melted down, I definitely could experience much more of the flavor/sweetness.

In my excitement I forgot that I was going to revisit the EC 12yo, but I think it's just as well to wait until Sunday.

I definitely would recommend the ER 101/10yo, too bad it's going south.

Mark/Nebraska

CrispyCritter
05-13-2006, 21:06
Tonight I finished off the last of my Redbreast 12yo Irish whiskey, then moved on to the first pour I've tried of Virginia Gentleman 90.

Mmmmmm... easygoing and tasty. This ought to be a very nice summer pour.

Norton
05-13-2006, 21:38
Starting off with a little Old Overholt but will be reaching for Old Rip 10/107 real soon.

ProofPositive
05-13-2006, 22:58
I find this kind of hard to believe myself - but, I opened my first bottle of WTRB tonight. Now I see what everyone is talking about and what I have been missing! This is one of the best pours I have ever had, period. In fact, I never thought I would say this - but at this point in time of my first pour of RB I would place it slightly ahead of WTKS during my first pour of that one. I'm not yet ready to place it ahead of KS as my #1 pour but RB will definitely give it a run for the money!

Rughi
05-14-2006, 07:42
...I opened my first bottle of WTRB tonight. Now I see what everyone is talking about and what I have been missing! This is one of the best pours I have ever had, period.

Is that the WT-03RB about which Gary similarly raved? I keep meaning to try that one...

Roger

Nebraska
05-14-2006, 12:01
We went out for Sunday brunch for Mother's Day. Everything was quite nice and tasting like it should be or better.

I sat down about a half hour ago and am currently doing a small pour of EC 12yo. My taste buds are apparently close to being or completely back. I get carmel, a subtle sweetness too, right in the middle of the taste. At the start there is a mild rubbing alcohol taste, then the carmel, then finishes out strong with a definite listerine/pine spirits (?) finish, late I still get some mild sweetness and an occasional peeking out of that carmel.

1st tasting Friday, just tasted listerine/pine spirits, today as described above. I'm gonna give it another shot later in the week, still don't know if my taste buds are completely in sinc. In addition, I'm going to revisit this in the summer, fall, and winter to compare.

I'm not ready to give up on this one yet, but so far I'm gonna say this might not be my cup of bourbon.

Mark/Nebraska

bluesbassdad
05-14-2006, 12:24
I happened to grab my bottle of whatever-99-something-something last night just before retiring. I was hard pressed to recall how the -03 could be better, as I have claimed after a head-to-head tasting. Last night's taste may have been more smoky and less floral than the -03, but it was still delicious.

IMO, buy the -03 if it's available. If not, buy the -99, and be happy anyway.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

bluesbassdad
05-14-2006, 12:27
. . . listerine/pine spirits . . .

:grin: :grin: :grin:

I always get a kick out of seeing a taster's first attempt to describe EC12. Others have referred to camphor, Vicks Formula 44 cough syrup, or eucalyptus. Whatever it is, it's distinctive, and it's fun to try to label.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

CrispyCritter
05-14-2006, 18:22
Tonight, a pour of PVW 15. Superb as always. I'm not sure what I'll pour next - maybe some Weller Antique.

Gillman
05-14-2006, 18:31
Earlier today I had a Manhattan, quite a short one, so I got down in addition a Pilsener Urquel canned only 2 months ago (surely one of the best and most reliable beers in the world). Also, a few ounces of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout (the remainder was corked and will be consumed tomorrow), a special version of Guinness I brought back from England a few months ago. It is 6.5% abv and has that lactic Brett effect that may denote a survivor of the vatted 19th century porters. This also is one of the best beers in the world. Some are brewed in Dublin, some are brewed in former Colonial markets like Caribbean or the Far East. Mine was made in Nigeria and uses sorghum as an adjunct, and corn too, but all-malt brewers should not disdain, it is very good!

Gary

Gillman
05-14-2006, 18:33
The Manhattan was made with a blend of about 15 whiskeys (bourbons and ryes) adjusted with Finlandia vodka (only about 15%) to display and adjust the straights.

Gary

gothbat
05-14-2006, 20:24
Wild Turkey 101 :)

wskybnt
05-14-2006, 20:37
Started off with a nice pour of RB after all the talk got me wanting it. I am finishing off with a couple of Sarerac Rye's......

mythrenegade
05-14-2006, 20:49
I poured a glass of Eagle Rare 10 YO while making dinner for my family (Linguini Martini from the Thirsty Traveler Cookbook). I put it on the rocks and it was simply exceptional.

For dinner I poured a Steven Kent Merrillie Chardonnay, which is highly unusual as we don't generally drink white wines, but I thought it would go well with the dinner. It did...

Joel

ProofPositive
05-14-2006, 21:54
Is that the WT-03RB about which Gary similarly raved? I keep meaning to try that one...

Roger

Yep, that's the one! I had debated buying the 99 batch instead - but decided
to get the 03 version after reading the positives here. I am having a second round tonite and it is even better than the first - which is fairly normal with most pours as I understand. RB really needs no breathing, ice, water or anything else IMHO. I can see why Jimmy Russell is said to keep his RB in the fridge or freezer. Cool it down a bit and you have a very, very smooth neat pour. Get some soon!

Edward_call_me_Ed
05-15-2006, 01:25
:grin: :grin: :grin:

I always get a kick out of seeing a taster's first attempt to describe EC12. Others have referred to camphor, Vicks Formula 44 cough syrup, or eucalyptus. Whatever it is, it's distinctive, and it's fun to try to label.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Hi Dave,
I am the one that referred to camphor. Especially, the first 4 or 5 bottles I bought. Notice that went through it pretty fast back them. I don't get that so much in later bottles. I don't buy it as often, either.
Ed

Edward_call_me_Ed
05-15-2006, 07:26
I happened to grab my bottle of whatever-99-something-something last night just before retiring. I was hard pressed to recall how the -03 could be better, as I have claimed after a head-to-head tasting. Last night's taste may have been more smoky and less floral than the -03, but it was still delicious.

IMO, buy the -03 if it's available. If not, buy the -99, and be happy anyway.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

I agree. The 99 is wonderful. The 03 is even better.

pepcycle
05-15-2006, 09:29
Ed,
Unless your name is Jim Butler, you may not be the only one that refers to that flavor as Camphor.
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376&page=2&highlight=camphor
I searched Camphor and got multiple (50 or so) hits and all referred to EC12.

bluesbassdad
05-15-2006, 12:45
Ed,

I think you picked a link to the right thread, but it doesn't go directly to Jim's post when I click it. How about this one (http://www.straightbourbon.com/ubbthreads/showthread.php?p=2988&highlight=camphor#post2988), instead?

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

pepcycle
05-15-2006, 13:00
Its actually earlier than mine.
The point is that Camphor has been ID'd as far back as year 2000 and apparently as far back as July, 2000.

bluesbassdad
05-15-2006, 13:03
Ed,

Ya got get up might early to beat Jim, eh? :grin:

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Frodo
05-15-2006, 13:55
Yesterday afternoon I had a sample of Eagle Rare SB 10yr. Really nice, and I wish I had a bit more...Slobbering over my new bottle of Bookers, but I won't crack it open for a while yet!

Edward_call_me_Ed
05-15-2006, 14:59
Ed,
Unless your name is Jim Butler, you may not be the only one that refers to that flavor as Camphor.
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376&page=2&highlight=camphor
I searched Camphor and got multiple (50 or so) hits and all referred to EC12.
I stand corrected. However, I don't think I have ever seen anyone else's tasting note use camphor.
Ed

brian12069
05-15-2006, 15:51
Tonight it is Kentucky Vintage, this stuff is delicious.