PDA

View Full Version : Dickel Barrel Select

barturtle
04-09-2006, 08:48
I noticed this yesterday while checking up on sime of the lastest scores(check the date of the tasting, pretty recent):

http://www.tastings.com/scout_spirits.lasso?id=177578

I'm wondering if this has now gotten expanded distirbution or if I still need to visit the distillery to get it. Tim(TNbourbon) had posted a picture a while back and noted that there is(was) a liquor store that sold it(Any idea if they have more, Tim?).

Anyway, it got a higher score than the Dickel #12, so there's something going on there that may be worth searching out.

Never been to Dickel(or that other place in TN) spring break's coming up, might be time for a visit.

TNbourbon
04-09-2006, 10:23
It's in a lot of Middle Tennessee liquor stores now. I suspect that 'single' liquor store deal -- the retail outlet in Tullahoma from which the Dickel gift shop purchases what it resells -- got the distributor in hot water. It's against the rules for a distributor to offer an item to a single retailer without making it available to all his retailers (based, of course, on availability of product). Once the distributor 'let the cat out of the bag', so to speak, he had no choice but to place in any store that wanted it. I've seen it stacked double-faced to the back of shelves in some store in the Dickel Distillery area.

The neck tag states "Limited No. 1 Edition", but it doesn't seem too limited around here. The bottle notes that it's 'specially double distilled', but who knows if that refers to a second pass through the still, or just the use of a 'doubler'?

BourbonJoe
04-09-2006, 14:25
Tim,
Alas I remember it well. Seems me and Fricky were with you when you got it. What a memory!!!
Joe

ProofPositive
04-17-2006, 23:13
Pardon the slight shift in the subject, but how common is the BHC bottle of George Dickel Special Reserve these days. I found one over the weekend for around $30 still in the blue box. This is the first one I have come across in quite a while. Just wondering/curious.

Also, how does the GDSR stack up against the DBS one-on-one? (Taking into consideration that every single barrel version could be/will be different from another).

TNbourbon
04-18-2006, 18:42
...how does the GDSR stack up against the DBS one-on-one? (Taking into consideration that every single barrel version could be/will be different from another).

Neither is a single-barrel.

barturtle
04-18-2006, 20:29
While I have never had the BS, and I can't find my print out of some old tasting scores I used to have for BHC (that's if scores actually mean anything), it seems like they acheived similar scores, so they should both be considered what is probably the best of what TN has to offer. If I can manage some on my way to Atlanta this weekend, there should be a mini-comparo in the works...though with my current open bottle situation (too many) and the fact that I'm going to Europe for the summer, it may have to wait for a while

robbyvirus
04-18-2006, 22:14
I drove through Tennessee last month and saw a bottle of this on the shelf of a liquor store off I-75. I picked it up on a whim, having not seen this one before. I HIGHLY recommend it...it's delicious! Sweet, smooth, a large bouquet..I really, really enjoy it. I wished I'd picked up more than one! Anyway, my advice is that if you haven't tried this, and you have an opportunity to pick one up, then I highly recommend doing so.

nor02lei
04-20-2006, 12:17
I drove through Tennessee last month and saw a bottle of this on the shelf of a liquor store off I-75. I picked it up on a whim, having not seen this one before. I HIGHLY recommend it...it's delicious! Sweet, smooth, a large bouquet..I really, really enjoy it. I wished I'd picked up more than one! Anyway, my advice is that if you haven't tried this, and you have an opportunity to pick one up, then I highly recommend doing so.

This is definitely one of the whiskeys I lock forward must to taste when in Kentucky and Tennessee in September.

Leif

ProofPositive
04-20-2006, 22:43
Neither is a single-barrel.

Thanks Tim.

You are correct.....my error. I was sipping some single barrel KY Spirit while composing. My taste buds invaded my brain.

Anyhow, I plan to sample both DBS and GDSR in the near future. Being a devoted J.D. Blackshirt for many a year, even thinking about G.D. was considered heresy in my book. After I left Tennessee Whiskey behind for the real stuff I now enjoy, I am very hesitant to try any again. But maybe G.D. would be worth a try. The vast majority of comments on the Forum seem to indicate a much more favorable response to G.D. than J.D. So, maybe I'll give it a run when I have a few extra dollars in my pocket.

Thanks again for the correction.

asnigro
04-23-2006, 21:56
What should one expect to pay for either of these two "special" Dickels? Be it, retail or current market?

TNbourbon
04-23-2006, 22:05
What should one expect to pay for either of these two "special" Dickels? Be it, retail or current market?

In Middle Tennessee (where Dickel Distillery is), the Dickel Barrel Select is around $35 before tax.

ProofPositive
04-25-2006, 23:09
In Middle Tennessee (where Dickel Distillery is), the Dickel Barrel Select is around $35 before tax.

Same price down here in West Tennessee. I have seen the BHC bottle in a few places around here for $30-31 before tax.

asnigro
04-27-2006, 16:01
Could anyone provide any contact information to any of these locations that may have either of these two Dickel's? I'd love to call them and see if they could ship to me in IL. Or if anyone has a bottle they could part with, please PM me. I'd be greatly indebted and would cheers the first sip in your honor!

TNbourbon
04-30-2006, 13:24
Could anyone provide any contact information to any of these locations that may have either of these two Dickel's? I'd love to call them and see if they could ship to me in IL...

It is not legal (in fact, it is a felony!) for either a retailer or a private citizen to ship alcohol products into/out of Tennessee. The beer/liquor distributors are VERY influential in the legislature -- it ain't gonna change soon. (By the way, since not even in-state wineries can ship to in-state customers, the recent SCOTUS decision regarding wine laws and shipments does not affect Tennessee.)

barturtle
08-13-2006, 12:28
While planning a trip to Dickel, I ran across a picture of the Barrel Select and short description on their website. It says 10-12 yo and nation wide avail in July 06. Anyone seen these new bottles?

nor02lei
08-13-2006, 13:12
While planning a trip to Dickel, I ran across a picture of the Barrel Select and short description on their website. It says 10-12 yo and nation wide avail in July 06. Anyone seen these new bottles?

Timothy,

Nice picture. If it is 10-12 years it may be the oldest Tennessee ever bottled I guess. This one is defiantly top priority on my bay list in September. If I cant find it in Kentucky Iíll by it in Tennessee on my way to Dickel and JD.

Frodo
08-14-2006, 05:31
Top picture Timothy. Cheers! Looks like something I'll have to look for...

smokinjoe
08-19-2006, 08:55

Timothy:
I am pretty sure I saw this bottle at a couple of stores in East Tennessee in late July. If the product inside is as good as the package, they'll have a winner.

JOE

bulldawg
09-23-2006, 11:34
Picked up a bottle today for $32. Big thumbs up! Of course, I'm a big Dickel fan to begin with.

ProofPositive
09-28-2006, 09:44

I saw one last weekend in north Mississippi. I was nearly floored at the price tag of $47.99! Is that out of line? Usually, I find good deals plus a lower sales tax south of the Tennessee line....but, not this time, not on this bottle - not for right now anyway. I can still get the first edition Dickel Select just about anywhere around here for $35-37 - but $48 for the new edition!!??

ThomasH
09-30-2006, 21:49
The Dickel barrel select has now officially arrived in Ohio. I saw some today for 42.95 a bottle. Quite a steep price compared to the 19.90 I paid for the BHC version on closeout in Ohio a number of years back. I like the 10 year old but have never been a big fan of the #8 or #12. Its hard to spend 40.00+ on a bottle of this when for 5.00 extra you can get a 1.75L of Gentlemans Jack, which to me is the only JD worth drinking!

Thomas

jburlowski
10-05-2006, 15:50
Picked up a bottle and tried it last weekend. Top-drawer stuff. Highly recommended!

OscarV
10-11-2006, 14:01
Just got the new Malt Advocate magazine.
Dickel is on the cover. Inside, a big article, and also featued in the "from the publisher", plus 3 Dickel reviews, also a full page ad.
It looks like Dickel is making a move, lookout Jack.

I have gone thru a couple of bottles of Dickel No. 12, and I think it is great whisky.
Does anyone know if the Barrel Select is available in KY, as I will be down there next week.

this is an edit,.....-> I just saw the above post, it looks like it is.

nickynick
10-12-2006, 06:07
Happy to hear that. I think it is a much better choice then Jack. Been looking hard for the barrel select in Illinois with no luck. Anyone know if it is here yet?

CrispyCritter
10-12-2006, 20:36
I haven't seen DBS here, either - surprising, considering that Binny's and Sam's can get some unusual bottlings. Dickel #12 is good stuff, though!

kbuzbee
10-15-2006, 14:11
As Thomas mentioned, DBS is in Ohio. Picked up a bottle this week. Very nice. Smooth, very sweet, nicely balanced, not much wood in it but very tasty.

Ken

bluesbassdad
10-27-2006, 23:45
I stopped by the mis-named Liquor Barn (should be "Liquor Coop") in Prescott, AZ today and found two displays of this bottling. Each consisted of six bottles.

I find that very surprising. This is a semi-rural area, not a hotbed of bourbonia (or Tennesse whiskey) by any means. To illustrate, I bought the last bottle of WT rye off the shelf. When I mentioned it to the manager as she checked out my purchases, she said that she stocks it two or three bottles at a time due to low demand.

I wonder whether some marketing muscle was brought to bear to get her to accept 12 bottles (that I saw) of the obscure and pricey GDBS.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

FlashPuppy
10-28-2006, 00:08
Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Nice to see you back, Dave. Now don't forget to turn your PM's back on.:cool:

bluesbassdad
10-28-2006, 14:15
I had done just that. Thanks.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Dramiel McHinson
11-12-2006, 05:42
ProofP,

I have a bottle of the new GD Barrel Select and I did my first tasting last night. Very flavorful! I got it in a North Alabama ABC store. They brought it in as one of their many holiday selections. It is a little drier than the GD12. From my "Whisky Chronicle" notes, "The palate is warm, peppery sweet molasses and oak. In the middle is a surge of sweet spearmint and maybe orange marmalade with black unsweet tea. You taste this whiskey with a good body and mouth-feel." for the finish, I wrote, "The finish is long, warm, peppery, finishing on a drier note with vanilla candle wax." My final note, "This is classic George Dickel, lower proof than old number 12 but still warm peppery and sweet. Lots of flavor and a good finish. A splash of water tames it only a little as the pepper and oak still bust through on the palate."

I recommend it.

ratcheer
11-12-2006, 06:36
Thanks, Dramiel, for the heads up on the Alabama ABC having this. I will look for it.

Tim

asnigro
02-25-2007, 08:09
Happy to hear that. I think it is a much better choice then Jack. Been looking hard for the barrel select in Illinois with no luck. Anyone know if it is here yet?

I had done some searching in the Chicago area and came across some from the Binny's in Glen Ellyn, IL. I had to order it, it arrived in about 3 days and was $37 I think. I would assume you could order it from any Binnys in the area.

cowdery
02-25-2007, 15:23
I saw it the other day at Binny's on Clark Street. It was odd because they had the regular Dickel shelved with the ryes, but had the Barrel Select next to JD.

Father&Son
02-25-2007, 16:31
It's available in the Virginia ABC outlets. $43.95. I think I'll stick w/the GD #12 for the time being.

Dramiel McHinson
03-03-2007, 20:07
I took a ride out to the GD distillery the other day and after a tour I picked up the GD Barrel Select #1 bottle. This has the silk screened GD label on it. The #2 GD Barrel Select has the parchment label. Both are exceptional whiskies (GD spells whisky without the "E".)

The distillery is very small, almost a small batch operation with little or no "hi-Tech", just good ole hand made whisky by experts. The experience is made twice as wonderful by the scenery and the drive down the 1.5 lane road in Cascade Hollow. don't hold back...get a bottle of the barrel select #1 or 2 and enjoy it. If you can make it to the distillery you'll realize what a treasure this whisky really is. #12 is good stuff, no doubt, but the barrel select is their "premium" bottle. I just hope Diageo keeps them healthy and keeps them making good Tennessee sippin whisky.

Anyway, if you stop in my neck of the woods, I got a bottle you can try.

Daniel

BourbonJoe
03-04-2007, 04:02
I saw the Barrel Select #2 bottle in an ABC store in Spanish Fort, Alabama a couple days before new years eve. I went back on the 31st to get one and found someone had cleared off the shelf, so I never got to taste it. Of course they don't sell it in PA (or Dickel #12 for that matter) #$%^&@ beauracrats. :hot: :hot:
Joe :usflag:

ThomasH
03-05-2007, 13:10
I have noticed that Dickel # 12 has had a steep price increase in Ohio ever since the #8 disappeared from shelves and Barrel Select arrived. I bought a bottle of #12 a few years ago and it was about 15.00. A week or so ago I was at the store and and #12 was 22.80 a bottle, Quite a steep increase. Sort of reminds me of the price of gasoline, only gasoline eventually come back down somewhat!

Thomas

Dramiel McHinson
03-06-2007, 19:07
I have noticed that Dickel # 12 has had a steep price increase in Ohio ever since the #8 disappeared from shelves and Barrel Select arrived. I bought a bottle of #12 a few years ago and it was about 15.00. A week or so ago I was at the store and and #12 was 22.80 a bottle, Quite a steep increase. Sort of reminds me of the price of gasoline, only gasoline eventually come back down somewhat!

Thomas

While touring the GD distillery, my young hostess let on thay had a couple of years break in distilling, using current stocks to feed the distributors. Basically, GD #8 will disappear for a while or become very rare since they only have the older barrels and newest barrels on hand when production started again. The Barrel Select #1 and now #2 are generally selected from approximately 10 barrels per year so numbers will be limited regardless.

Current production isn't a problem but the time in the barrel needed to mature the whisky leaves a time gap that isn't going to go away for a while. All this begs the question of what Diageo's plan is to make up for the gap. The folks at GD will make as much whiskey as they can just the way they always have in the mean time. I only saw one column still and one pot still (doubler) on the tour.

If you want to see whiskey made without any technology, just a few smart people workin hard, then I recommend a trip to Cascade Hollow.

Prost Doch Mal!

Daniel

TNbourbon
03-06-2007, 19:35
While touring the GD distillery, my young hostess let on thay had a couple of years break in distilling,...

Dickel didn't distill from Fall 1999 till Fall 2003, four years. Thus, they currently have on hand only whiskey that is more than seven years old and whiskey less than four years old. Since the black-label #8 is, theoretically, 4-to-6-year-old whiskey, well, they don't have any.
There is still black-label #8 in the marketplace, at least in some areas -- for example, we've had no problem restocking it here in Tennessee where, unsurprisingly, it's a standard brand. But in markets such as this, they're just maintaining their place in people's loyalty -- why else should they bottle what is essentially older, higher-priced white-label #10 as anything but that?

nickynick
03-07-2007, 05:44
Dickel didn't distill from Fall 1999 till Fall 2003, four years. Thus, they currently have on hand only whiskey that is more than seven years old and whiskey less than four years old. Since the black-label #8 is, theoretically, 4-to-6-year-old whiskey, well, they don't have any.
There is still black-label #8 in the marketplace, at least in some areas -- for example, we've had no problem restocking it here in Tennessee where, unsurprisingly, it's a standard brand. But in markets such as this, they're just maintaining their place in people's loyalty -- why else should they bottle what is essentially older, higher-priced white-label #10 as anything but that?

The recent article in The Malt Advocate states that Dickel #8 is 8 to 10 years old. #12 is 10 to 12 and the Barrel Select is 11 to 12 years old. It also states that one of the ways that they are trying to combat the stock issue is that the #8 will only be sold in the top 10 markets.

http://www.dickel.com/NR/rdonlyres/97E04955-00D2-4302-AC19-FA36AD886032/0/GD_MaltAdvocate1.pdf
http://www.dickel.com/NR/rdonlyres/DB2C7F5C-2D56-4E0E-9DDB-8B738BD4B58F/0/MaltAdvocate2.pdf

There ar two parts to the story. Its an interesting article. Lets just hope they keep the good stuff coming. The Barrel Select is one of the finest whiskies I have had. And the #12 isn't bad either.

TNbourbon
03-07-2007, 15:19
...white-label #10 ...

Oops -- I meant #12, of course.

boss302
03-21-2007, 22:29
Of course they don't sell it in PA (or Dickel #12 for that matter) #$%^&@ beauracrats.

I agree with you, Joe. It his high time the liquor distribution in PA gets privatized!!!!!

PA beer distributors-- privately-owned, overwhelming selection (at least in my area)!

PLCB state stores-- state-controlled, underwhelming selection, even at the "Premium Collection" stores...

The store close to me carried Dickel back in 2005 and early 2006. Then it, apparently, got "de-listed" by the PLCB. What a joke. :hot:

Dangermonkey
03-22-2007, 07:28
In reference to a earlier question please check my reviews:
http://www.spiritsreview.com/reviews-whisky-tennessee-dickel-special-barrel.html
http://www.spiritsreview.com/reviews-whisky-tennessee-dickel-barrel-select.html
I found the Barrel Select to be much better side by side than the Special Barrel and I reflect that in my ratings but I did not write a side by side piece.
Vol 15 #4 of Malt Advocate (Late 2006 issue) also has a big article on Dickel.I think part of the price hike recently (on all of them) is due to the increased publicity they received and the fact they are approaching a inventory gap.One way to bleed out the supply over the gap is to raise prices and slow buying. (O.K. that is the nice way to put it)

OscarV
05-02-2007, 13:47
Last week I was in Tennessee and went to the Dickel distillery at Cascade Hollow in Tullahoma.
Very nice tour given us by Brandi (maybe a y?).
The site is small, but very attractive.
For me the highlight of the tour was when we were taken to the vats where the Lincoln County Process was taking place, Brandi moved the lid on the vat up and down, (only slightly opening it), and we could smell the White Dog mingling with the maple charcoal, a very fruity smell, nice.

I got two bottles at the gift shop, a No. 1 Limited Edition George Dickel Barrel Select. As the neck rider says,... "This hancrafted bottle was designed to commemorate the re-opening of the distillery in October 2004." It will be a while before I drink this.
But I will not go thirsty, because I also got a George Dickel Barrel Select, the one that is widely available, that is if you are in the wide available area.(hehe)
Good whisky! See the above post for a link with a more literate review.
The one thing that stands out to me is the mouth feel, similar to scotch, it has that fatness to it.

Yep, had a good time in TN, we stayed at the Peabody in Memphis, saw the ducks go in for the night, the bar had Knob Creek so that went well with duck viewing. Did Beale Street, I've never been to Bourbon Street but I'll bet it is similar, a lot of spilled beer stains,(ain't I nice saying spilled beer). Ate at the Rendezvous and Neely's, (2 different nights), loved both places. Breakfast at the Blue Plate was good to, can't go wrong with country ham.
Went to the Civil Rights Museum, Stax Soul Museum, Sun Records but no time for a Memphis Redbird game. Also wanted to go to the Elmwood Cemetary where Shelby Foote is buried and Confederate Soldiers, but they were closed for some sort of make-over.

And,..... we took it down even farther to Oxford, Mississippi.
Stayed at the Oxford Inn, went to Rowan Oak, William Faulkner's home, very interesting, in his writing room there was a book outline still on the wall.
But the real reason we came here was to see Mofro, hell yes 'dey be funky. Saw 'em at a "club" with all the little college kids, Oxford is where the U of Miss is. I once heard that the most beautiful women in the world are at Ole Miss, and I can't deny it, they were all tall and blonde. My wife said this must be where the Stepford Wives Robot Factory is. (She is a jelous Yankee girl).

Back to Mofro, they are self proclaimed swamp crackers from Lochloosa, Florida. I highly reccomend their Lochloosa CD. It is by far the best CD I have got in a while. We were sippin' Buds and doing shoulder shrugs till 1 am central, that's 2 to my Michigan body.
Also ate at Petra's one of the best Middle-Eastern resturants I've ever dined at,... in Mississippi, go figure.

uh-oh, looks like I ran long and got off topic,... out

smokinjoe
05-02-2007, 14:38
"Very nice tour given to us by Brandi (maybe a y)?
The site is small but very attractive."

Uh, which one are you referring to?;)

JOE

BourbonJoe
05-02-2007, 16:53
We opened a "first generation" Barrel select at Fricky's house, alongside the #12. I must say that after considerable judgement, I liked the #12 better. I was not alone in that opinion.
Joe :usflag:

OscarV
05-03-2007, 12:25
This may be difficult to answer, but what do you think Dickel would taste like if they didn't run it through the maple charcoal?
Which bourbon do you think it would be closest to?

cowdery
05-03-2007, 14:10
The guy who set up the current Dickel distillery and who was the first master distiller there was a Schenley guy whose previous assignment was at Bernheim in Louisville, so my guess would be Old Charter/I.W. Harper.

OscarV
05-03-2007, 16:40
To me there is a Heaven Hill type nose, an Evan Williams type mint.

CrispyCritter
05-04-2007, 19:52
I'd think it would be something like Elmer T. Lee.