PDA

View Full Version : Rip Van Winkle 15yo

GoodDrinkin
04-27-2006, 19:38
After reading a few threads you all got me to thinking about my favorite bourbon RVW 15 yo. I hear it's going away for a while and that's too bad.

You also got me to look at my two bottles. I have about 3 fingers in a bottle made in Frankfort and an unopened bottle made in Lawrenceburg. If you guys don't mind telling, what is the difference?

Thanks in advance!

luv2hunt
04-27-2006, 19:46
Both are SW whiskey :) The one made in Lawrenceburg is older :)
I'm assuming it's an Old Rip Van Winkle? or does it just say Rip Van Winkle?

Dawn

GoodDrinkin
04-27-2006, 19:52
They both say "Old" Rip Van Winkle. Interestingly enough I bought the Frankfort bottle first! It has been a while since I purchased either. I save the RVW 15 for my special drinking occaisions since it's my favorite and I can't readily get it.

I usually go bourbon hunting whenever I leave NC, but the ABC stores are getting more good bourbons in every month. We just got WT Ky Spirit which is a fav or mine!

Thanks again for your reply

wskybnt
04-28-2006, 19:10
Yeah, I know where there is one more bottle of ORVW 15. I need to go get it this weekend. I like it a lot, but I really miss the 10yr stuff. For the $$$ it's the $%^&*, too. Havent seen it in months around here.

TNbourbon
04-30-2006, 14:11
...I save the ORVW 15 for my special drinking occasions since it's my favorite and I can't readily get it...

And you do know, right, that it's not longer made? The Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15yo (aka Pappy 15) replaced it in the Van Winkle lineup. Also from the same bourbon stocks, many of us believe it has a slightly different, woodier/drier taste profile.

GoodDrinkin
05-01-2006, 11:05
Yes, I do understand that ORVW 15 is gone. I did read somewhere here that Julian said the PVW 15 is the same stuff, just different batches, etc.

BTW, TNBourbon...Is there any stock of the PVW 15 in Memphis? I have relatives there I could send to add to my stock.

ProofPositive
05-01-2006, 12:09
Yes, I do understand that ORVW 15 is gone. I did read somewhere here that Julian said the PVW 15 is the same stuff, just different batches, etc.

BTW, TNBourbon...Is there any stock of the PVW 15 in Memphis? I have relatives there I could send to add to my stock.

I can answer that with a pretty good degree of certainty from my recent rounds through the city. The ORVW is very, very scarce. As my neighbor Wskybnt alluded, you can probably count them on one hand. He mentions of knowing where 1 bottle is located. I found 1 bottle after work on Saturday night......so, I hope I did not spoil his plans!

As for the Pappy 15, I know where there are a few bottles of it around town here. It has gotten just about as scarce as the older brother. However, in reading thru a thread I began here on the Forum on the shortage of Pappy 15 in other areas, it appears there is plenty in Chicago (Binny's) and in the Middle Tennessee area according to Tim. I have a couple of these in the bunker unopened at present and several of the ORVW 15.....but, I continue hunting for more. How many is enough? I suppose that occurs when you no longer have to ask the question!

BourbonJoe
05-02-2006, 21:47
I took a bottle of the ORVW 15-107 to the Gazebo this past sampler. Judging from what remains in the bottle, there was considerable interest in this whiskey. This is a good representation of a classic Stitzel-Weller Bourbon IMHO.
Joe :usflag:

ProofPositive
05-02-2006, 23:18
I took a bottle of the ORVW 15-107 to the Gazebo this past sampler. Judging from what remains in the bottle, there was considerable interest in this whiskey. This is a good representation of a classic Stitzel-Weller Bourbon IMHO.
Joe :usflag:

Sounds like a good time was had by all and ORVW 15-107 would certainly enhance the occasion even more so. Wish I could have been there.....maybe in September.

I took a bottle of ORVW 15-107 out of the bunker last night to celebrate the old birthday occasion in the best of ways - and sipping on some more of it now. It is the best bourbon I have experienced to date. After several months of collecting all the S-W I can find in the area, I figured it was a good time to open one of the best representations of the classic bourbon. I now see what all the hoopla has been about for so long! Why I waited this long is beyond me!

wskybnt
05-05-2006, 07:07
He mentions of knowing where 1 bottle is located. I found 1 bottle after work on Saturday night......so, I hope I did not spoil his plans!

Well you might have. I went after my bottle last night and it was gone. Did you come to OB and get it?

Where is the Pappy 15 at? I'd like to pick up one of those if you dont mind letting me in on the location.

Virus_Of_Life
05-05-2006, 11:27
I was lucky enough to find another one of these myself yesterday, anyway I am pretty sure that is what it is. Seems to be the older L'burg bottling that didn't get the 15 year old label on the shoulder, and doesn't say asleep 15 summers it says many summers, other than that is it identical. Oh and it has no upc and says Lawrenceburg instead under the distillery name. Funny I'd come across an L'burg bottling after all this time!

This place also had a slew of older fitz and weller, about 5 of the Louisville Weller centennials, but I don't have room for them!!!

BourbonBalls
05-05-2006, 13:08
Hi . . . .

So, you are in Tustin? Im in Los Angeles.....

So, where in So Cal did you happen to make such a find? If you don't mind my asking! I'm so lookin' for a 15 year old Pappy or ORVW around here.....

wskybnt
05-05-2006, 16:22
Seems to be the older L'burg bottling that didn't get the 15 year old label on the shoulder, and doesn't say asleep 15 summers it says many summers, other than that is it identical. Oh and it has no upc and says Lawrenceburg instead under the distillery name.

Mine says "Asleep Many Years in the Wood" on the left side of the label and "15 Summers Old" on the right side of the label. Is the sticker on the neck of the bottle red with Gold script or Gold with red script. The reason I ask is because the 15yr has the gold sticker and the Red sticker is the 10yr.

I am starting to think Proof found my secert bottle, answer up proof! :grin:

Virus_Of_Life
05-05-2006, 19:26
So, where in So Cal did you happen to make such a find? If you don't mind my asking! I'm so lookin' for a 15 year old Pappy or ORVW around here.....

I found that ORVW at a place in Fullerton actually, but I know of one place up your way that does have Pappy, ever heard of the Wine and Liquor Depot in Van Nuys? website http://www.wineandliquordepot.com/index.htm Also I Am sure Bevmo will be getting some more soon since Julian has said shipmets of all the Van Winkles were going out soon or went out recetly, IIRC. But I'd suggest Liquor Depot they are very nice and appreciate the business.

ProofPositive
05-09-2006, 00:17
Well you might have. I went after my bottle last night and it was gone. Did you come to OB and get it?

Where is the Pappy 15 at? I'd like to pick up one of those if you dont mind letting me in on the location.

No, don't think I did after all. The stores where I found these last two do not have "OB" as the first letters of their store names.....if that is what you meant.

I will send you a PM with directions to the Pappy 15.

BourbonBalls
05-09-2006, 06:18
I found that ORVW at a place in Fullerton actually, but I know of one place up your way that does have Pappy, ever heard of the Wine and Liquor Depot in Van Nuys? website http://www.wineandliquordepot.com/index.htm Also I Am sure Bevmo will be getting some more soon since Julian has said shipmets of all the Van Winkles were going out soon or went out recetly, IIRC. But I'd suggest Liquor Depot they are very nice and appreciate the business.

Thanks Christian . . . Im in Burbank, so Van Nuys is very closeby.

By the way...if you ever up this way from Tustin...drop by for a pour!

ProofPositive
05-09-2006, 11:08
Mine says "Asleep Many Years in the Wood" on the left side of the label and "15 Summers Old" on the right side of the label. Is the sticker on the neck of the bottle red with Gold script or Gold with red script. The reason I ask is because the 15yr has the gold sticker and the Red sticker is the 10yr.

I am starting to think Proof found my secert bottle, answer up proof! :grin:

Well, due to the side effects of the Centennial, I had a logic lapse last night and missed the abbreviation "OB". However, the answer now is definitely "NO". I did not venture down that way and discover your bottle. I guess we now have some competition. Maybe we can flush him out here!

wskybnt
05-09-2006, 15:28
I guess we do. Cause not just anybody would buy that ORVW, especially down in Olive Branch. Next time I am in there I will ask the guy that owns the place if it was a regular or not. He wasnt in there the other day or I would have asked then.

TimmyBoston
05-25-2006, 04:44
I'm drinking the PVWFR 15 right now and it is oakier than its predecessor, but's its still excellent.

TimmyBoston
05-25-2006, 04:45
However on many days I prefer the Van Winkle 12 to the 15 as it is much cheaper this "nectar" is a great value for being a world class bourbon.

If you have the means I highly recommend picking one up.

TimmyBoston
06-10-2006, 00:59
I just bought a bottle via Ebay since none of the stores around here and I can't wait to try it. Very anxious.

nor02lei
11-10-2006, 13:13
I was lucky enough to find another one of these myself yesterday, anyway I am pretty sure that is what it is. Seems to be the older L'burg bottling that didn't get the 15 year old label on the shoulder, and doesn't say asleep 15 summers it says many summers, other than that is it identical. Oh and it has no upc and says Lawrenceburg instead under the distillery name. Funny I'd come across an L'burg bottling after all this time!

Christian,

I have spotted one of these no age ORVW 107 proof on an auction that close tomorrow and I am thinking of making a bid. Have you tasted it or got any further information concerning age or anything else?

Leif

Virus_Of_Life
11-10-2006, 14:07
Are you referring to one in the typical squat bottle?

Haven't opened it Leif, and am still not entirely sure if it is 10 or 15 years, but what I do know is that it's L'Burg so it's SW and that is all that matters. The more I have thought about this the more I think it might actually be the 10 year because it says many summers not 15 summers because nothing else on the main label changed when they went from F'fort to L'burg so why chance that?

If anybody out there has a 10 year ORVW from L'burg please post a picture, specifically of the sides of the label where it states
"asleep..."

Either way Leif you know you cannot go wrong with Van Winkle SW whiskey.

barturtle
11-10-2006, 15:22
Are you referring to one in the typical squat bottle?

Haven't opened it Leif, and am still not entirely sure if it is 10 or 15 years, but what I do know is that it's L'Burg so it's SW and that is all that matters. The more I have thought about this the more I think it might actually be the 10 year because it says many summers not 15 summers because nothing else on the main label changed when they went from F'fort to L'burg so why chance that?

If anybody out there has a 10 year ORVW from L'burg please post a picture, specifically of the sides of the label where it states
"asleep..."

Either way Leif you know you cannot go wrong with Van Winkle SW whiskey.

Christian, can you post a pic of the bottle you have as well?

Virus_Of_Life
11-11-2006, 00:15
Christian, can you post a pic of the bottle you have as well?

It is on the right side like the picture on the left but says many summers instead of 10 or 15, I don't have it here but will get it out of storage tomorrow and try to get a pic up by the end of the day. I am pretty sure it is the exact picture with the guy playing the drums but just says "many". I'll get it tomorrow and post then, thanks Timothy!

... By the way does that price tag really say $!8.99 as it appears???

nor02lei
11-11-2006, 03:02
It is on the right side like the picture on the left but says many summers instead of 10 or 15, I don't have it here but will get it out of storage tomorrow and try to get a pic up by the end of the day. I am pretty sure it is the exact picture with the guy playing the drums but just says "many". I'll get it tomorrow and post then, thanks Timothy!

Christian,

Check the series number when you are at it. The one I am going to bid on is A 3145 and it also say many summers old.

Leif

barturtle
11-11-2006, 05:52

Yes that is the price I paid (plus tax in Louisiana)...the store didn't know what they had and had the 15yo/10-90/10-107 all marked the same and mixed up. I slowly cleaned them out in the suspected order :cool:

BTW, I'm really wanting a full bottle shot and a pic of the back label...I think your bottle might be quite a bit older than mine.

OscarV
11-11-2006, 06:56
Yes that is the price I paid (plus tax in Louisiana.

WOW! About a year and a half ago I paid $63.00 for the ORVW 15yo 107prf

Virus_Of_Life
11-11-2006, 21:17
Yes that is the price I paid (plus tax in Louisiana)...the store didn't know what they had and had the 15yo/10-90/10-107 all marked the same and mixed up. I slowly cleaned them out in the suspected order :cool:

BTW, I'm really wanting a full bottle shot and a pic of the back label...I think your bottle might be quite a bit older than mine.

OK here are the pics of two of mine side by side. As you can see there is the full bottle front left shot, the back shot showing one being L'burg with a shorter label, and the right front closeup showing the one that states "many summers old"

Leif the number of this one is A3239, I'd say if you can get that one you are looking at for a reasonable price do it, even if we are not sure if it is 10 or 15 year... I am assuming 15.

Maybe Julian could chime in here, is there a chance that these early run 15s were before he had decided to do a 10 year also, hence the label change from "many" to "10" and "15"? Or was the 10 introduced at the same time as the 15?

Let me know if you'd like any other pics Timothy.

barturtle
11-11-2006, 21:28
NOt quite what I was expecting...there was an older bottling, at 7yo IIRC, that was done in a similar squat bottle, but the angle on the top was more curved as opposed to the angle on the recent bottles...but still this bottle has no UPC...so was it an export or is it an older bottle? Where's Julian when you need him?

nor02lei
11-12-2006, 08:34
Leif the number of this one is A3239, I'd say if you can get that one you are looking at for a reasonable price do it, even if we are not sure if it is 10 or 15 year... I am assuming 15.

Maybe Julian could chime in here, is there a chance that these early run 15s were before he had decided to do a 10 year also, hence the label change from "many" to "10" and "15"? Or was the 10 introduced at the same time as the 15?

Christian,

You say you think it is 15 years. Is that due to the collar or what? Normally when it is no age one could assume it is 4-7 years old.
I will get my bottle in about1.5 weeks together with a real old bottling of WT 101 that I also won on the auction.

Leif

ProofPositive
11-12-2006, 19:32
WOW! About a year and a half ago I paid $63.00 for the ORVW 15yo 107prf

Found 2 of these over the weekend for the inverse of your price.

barturtle
11-12-2006, 19:36
Which way do you invert it

$63.00
--------
$93.00 not so much a deal

$63.00 | 00.36$ bargain of the century

nor02lei
10-01-2007, 13:28
OK here are the pics of two of mine side by side. As you can see there is the full bottle front left shot, the back shot showing one being L'burg with a shorter label, and the right front closeup showing the one that states "many summers old"

Let me know if you'd like any other pics Timothy.

I have now got the information from Julian that it is 10 years old. To be real honest I was both surprised and a bit disappointed. I had thought/hoped that it should have been some odd age like 8 or 9 years for instance.

Leif

mgilbertva
10-01-2007, 17:43
Not that 10 years is bad. I love the 15 year, but have not yet tried the 10, despite having a couple bottles bunkered. I finally tried the 10 yr this weekend and was extremely impressed. I really need to put the 10 and 15 yr side-by-side to figure out which I like better. One of the people at our tasting said she liked the 10 yr better.

Ruby K
10-02-2007, 15:41
So here's a question from a newbie (my first post, actually): what's the difference between the Old Pappy Van Winkle bottled in L'Burg and the Old Pappy Van Winkle bottled in Frankfort?

TNbourbon
10-02-2007, 17:54
So here's a question from a newbie (my first post, actually): what's the difference between the Old Pappy Van Winkle bottled in L'Burg and the Old Pappy Van Winkle bottled in Frankfort?
Not much, and a lot. Both are 15 years old and 107 proof, but the older Old Rip Van Winkle bottling has a sweeter, simpler palate. The Pappy version, which replaced the former about two years ago, displays more barrel influence and complex flavors, highlighted by a cherry note. The ORVW might have been bottled in either Lawrenceburg (at the Van Winkles' Old Commonwealth bottling line) or in Frankfort after Buffalo Trace joined forces with the Van Winkles. All of the Pappy 15s originate in Frankfort.
Most here are fans of both, but might call either a 'favorite'. The ORVW is all but gone from retail, popping up today only on rare, dusty shelves.

Ruby K
10-02-2007, 20:41
Not much, and a lot. Both are 15 years old and 107 proof, but the older Old Rip Van Winkle bottling has a sweeter, simpler palate. The Pappy version, which replaced the former about two years ago, displays more barrel influence and complex flavors, highlighted by a cherry note. The ORVW might have been bottled in either Lawrenceburg (at the Van Winkles' Old Commonwealth bottling line) or in Frankfort after Buffalo Trace joined forces with the Van Winkles. All of the Pappy 15s originate in Frankfort.
Most here are fans of both, but might call either a 'favorite'. The ORVW is all but gone from retail, popping up today only on rare, dusty shelves.

Hmmmm. So today, I saw three bottles of ORVW 15 in one of my local stores. They're labeled frankfort and have the vw website on them, but they're definitely ORVW, not labeld Pappy. thoughts? Don't mind me, I'm a newbie still trying to decipher this stuff.

TNbourbon
10-02-2007, 20:44
Hmmmm. So today, I saw three bottles of ORVW 15 in one of my local stores. They're labeled frankfort and have the vw website on them, but they're definitely ORVW, not labeld Pappy. thoughts? Don't mind me, I'm a newbie still trying to decipher this stuff.

Buy 'em, if under, say, $60. PM me (and many others:lol: here) if you don't want them all.

NorCalBoozer
10-02-2007, 20:49

Great find! ORWV 15 is a sought after bourbon and well worth picking up at an appropriate price. It is definitely Stitzel Weller bourbon, which is highly regarded as one, if not *the* best bourbon distiller and since they stopped distilling in 1992, you can see that these become rarer as time goes on. Go get em! Then drink em!

Greg

Ruby K
10-03-2007, 20:21
So, I've found 1 bottle of the ORVW 10 107 and 2 of the ORVW 15 107, both bottled in Frankfort. If I'm not being dense, it sounds like even though they're Frankfort and L'burg, they're Stitzel Weller... and I'm working on procuring them all.

Rughi
10-04-2007, 08:15
So, I've found 1 bottle of the ORVW 10 107 and 2 of the ORVW 15 107, both bottled in Frankfort. If I'm not being dense, it sounds like even though they're Frankfort and L'burg, they're Stitzel Weller... and I'm working on procuring them all.

You're right to a point. Frankfort labelled Van Winkle products would be SW until recently. The rule of thumb is to do the math from 1992 (when SW ceased distilling).

ORVW 10, for instance, would be SW through 2002, and then have Bernheim/BT juice phased in. While you can often taste the difference, it is not in VW's business interest to call attention to that with label changes, rather Julian has stressed that whatever goes into his bottles would be damn good.

You might even prefer the BT distillate - I've had recent bottles of Weller Antique, for instance, that were really good.

Roger

ggilbertva
10-05-2007, 14:06
You're right to a point. Frankfort labelled Van Winkle products would be SW until recently. The rule of thumb is to do the math from 1992 (when SW ceased distilling).

ORVW 10, for instance, would be SW through 2002, and then have Bernheim/BT juice phased in. While you can often taste the difference, it is not in VW's business interest to call attention to that with label changes, rather Julian has stressed that whatever goes into his bottles would be damn good.

You might even prefer the BT distillate - I've had recent bottles of Weller Antique, for instance, that were really good.

Roger

Just to continue the thought....the current ORVW 10 107 is very very good. I had it for the first time recently and was really impressed by the flavor profiile. Julian does a great job with his line of bourbons.

NickAtMartinis
10-11-2007, 13:12
Just to continue the thought....the current ORVW 10 107 is very very good. I had it for the first time recently and was really impressed by the flavor profiile. Julian does a great job with his line of bourbons.

I just purchased the ORVW 10/107 and liked it very much. However, I can't see myself purchasing it for a long while since I can get Weller Antique for $5 less and it's the same bourbon. Besides, Weller Antique is much more readily avialable in my area. For example, it's taken 4-5 months to restock ORVW of any expression while Weller Antique has been sitting comfortably on the shelf during Old Rip's absence.

Ruby K
10-20-2007, 13:11
So i realize I'm pretty new at this in terms of tasting notes and what have you, but my throat had almost a heartburn thing going after having some of the ORVW 15 last night. Never quite had that kind of kickback before. Is that kind of burn something someone else has ran into with the ORVW 15? Is it possible my dusty find was not such a find?

NickAtMartinis
10-22-2007, 08:12
So i realize I'm pretty new at this in terms of tasting notes and what have you, but my throat had almost a heartburn thing going after having some of the ORVW 15 last night. Never quite had that kind of kickback before. Is that kind of burn something someone else has ran into with the ORVW 15? Is it possible my dusty find was not such a find?

I think your ORVW 15 is probably just fine. If it wasn't, it would be the taste that was off not the burn intensifying.

The PVW 20 and 23 are both very smooth but are at a much lower proof (90.4) than the ORVW 15 and 20 (107). So, it only stands to reason that it would burn much more so. However, I've had Stagg and while it does have a bit of a burn at 142+ proof it was still very smooth, especially when comparing it to ORVW products.

gblick
10-22-2007, 11:24
The PVW 20 and 23 are both very smooth but are at a much lower proof (90.4) than the ORVW 15 and 20 (107).You must've meant to write "the ORVW 15 and 10 (107)". But keep in mind that there are two ORVW 10's...one is 107 proof, and the other is 90 proof.

The new PVW 15 has hit shelves here in Houston. I just opened a bottle last night, and it is great!

NickAtMartinis
10-22-2007, 16:21
You must've meant to write "the ORVW 15 and 10 (107)". But keep in mind that there are two ORVW 10's...one is 107 proof, and the other is 90 proof.

The new PVW 15 has hit shelves here in Houston. I just opened a bottle last night, and it is great!

You're correct. I meant ORVW 10 and 15.