PDA

View Full Version : Rittenhouse Rye 21-year-old

cowdery
06-12-2006, 13:18
Many of us at Bourbon Fest 2005 tasted a 21-year-old rye at Heaven Hill. That whiskey is now being prepared for market release as Rittenhouse Very Rare 21 Year Old Single Barrel Straight Rye Whiskey. Although it will be reduced to 100 proof (50% abv), it will not be chill-filtered.

The first release will consist of just 3,000 bottles (750 ml size) that will retail for between $125 and $150. It will be released in the United States (exact market list TBD), the UK and France.

It's important to note that this is not a one-time-only thing. Apparently they have a pipeline that will allow them to come out with new releases of the product annually.

This straight rye whiskey was made by Heaven Hill at their distillery in Bardstown that burned down in 1996. Heaven Hill continued to make rye at a time when there wasn't much demand for it, one of only a handful of distilleries that did.

pepcycle
06-12-2006, 13:24
First Hirsch Rye at >$100, now Rittenhouse at >$100

C'mon. Give me a break!!!!

Rye just ain't that good!!!

I better get a Part Time Job

(Come to think of it, I have to get a Full Time Job)

Barrel_Proof
06-12-2006, 13:24
This is very good news indeed. The straight rye to which Chuck refers was very fine indeed. Sampling it was one of the highlights of the 2005 Festival.

BarItemsPlus1
06-12-2006, 14:54
It will be released in the United States (exact market list TBD), the UK and France

Disappointed Oz doesn't get a look in!!:hot:
AGAIN...!

Nebraska
06-12-2006, 16:52
Have to admit I'm very excited to see a new rye. Have to admit this $120-$140-$150-$200 thing is getting old quick. While I like having choices, I hate seeing the top end getting driven up, while so much more could be done with the lower and especially the mid-priced selections (expanding them).

Saz 18 yo at $55 is a very good value. Pappy 20 (I realize Pappy isn't a rye) at $80 is a luxury, but obtainable and to me well thought out in determining the price. A 21 yo offering of rye Hirsch or HH for $110 to $150 is saying to me, let's see how much we can get for this, it's easier to come down on price, than it is to raise it.

I guess I don't understand if you're going to shoot for the moon with your 21 yo, why you wouldn't try to compete at the mid-range too, say a 17 to 18 yo for about $50 to $55, or a 19 to 20 yo for $80 to $90 (still high but sounds a lot less than $100 plus).

What Julian did with his Pappy's was a well thought out way to offer and market bourbons to everybody. A 15yo at $40, a 20yo at $80 and a 23yo at $180. Something for nearly everybody.

wadewood
06-12-2006, 19:45
Chuck - I know you have stated in the past that you don't typically like overaged bourbon and most bourbons aged this long are overaged. I agree with you from my tasting experience; I prefer Pappy 15 vs. Pappy20, BMH 14 is better than the 16 or 21, I like Hirsch 16 more than Hirsch 20, and Elijah Craig is a totally different bourbon than the EC 18.

However, the extra aged Ryes I have tasted have been very good. This includes the Classic Cask 21 YO and the Hirsch Selection 22 YO.

So, what did you think of this Rye and older Ryes in general?

doubleblank
06-12-2006, 20:03
I also tasted this pre release. I thought it excellent.....and different from other releases out there. But north of $120. That puts it in the company of many great spirits....and I for one don't know if it will stand up over time.

Randy

chasking
06-12-2006, 20:47
I would not be planning to buy this if I hadn't tasted it, but I DID taste it, and it was really something special. I don't pay triple digits for whiskey lightly, but this one is unique and good enough to justify it (in the weird alternate dimension we inhabit, where anyone would actually pay a hundred bucks for any bottle of whiskey!).

If they make it a regular annual release, great! Maybe there won't be quite the feeding frenzy that a one-off release would cause.

cowdery
06-12-2006, 21:41
Straight rye does seem to take a long time in wood better than bourbon. Also, this whiskey was in a slow-aging location and was monitored throughout its life. It was when the folks at HH decided it wouldn't benefit from additional aging that they offered to buy it back from the company that contracted for it originally.

As for younger ryes, their Rittenhouse BIB is a treasure and a great value. They barely have enough stock to keep that supplied, with rye's newfound popularity, so it may be a long time before they're in a position to offer something a little older, like 8 or 10 years.

I have a pre-release sample of the Rittenhouse 21, so I'll let you know what I think after I try it again. I certainly remember liking it last September and it didn't seem too woody.

Also, as I said in the Grail post, some older bourbons, such as the Van Winkles, are very good, but many others are from leftover or lost barrels that aren't really very good, but people buy them and even fall in love with them strictly because of the high number on the label.

CrispyCritter
06-17-2006, 22:14
Hmm... north of $100 nixes it for me. Oh well - at least the young Rittenhouse BIB is seriously good stuff.

I ought to do some age vs. price graphs of various whiskies. I get the feeling that most of them would resemble exponential curves. :(

The one snag, though, is that most are not available in a wide range of ages. The only ones I can think of offhand are Van Winkle (10, 12, 15, 20, 23), Laphroaig (QC [6], 10, 10 CS, 15, 30, 40), Highland Park (12, 15, 18, 25), Ardbeg (10, 17, vintages like 1977 and 1974, and the NAS Uigeadail), and Glenrothes (vintages).

AVB
06-18-2006, 19:21
Add Balveie at 10, 12, 15, 17, 21, 25, & 30+, Macallan 10, 12, 15, 17, 21, 25, 30 and a bunch at 30+ for astronomical prices too. Also, the Glenfiddich line at 12, 15, 18, 21, 30 and 40; Aberlour has 10, 15, 21 and 30 and Bowmore covers a wide range up to 40 too plus there a number more I haven't mentioned.

elkdoggydog
06-25-2006, 09:08
I'm not sure if it's been posted elsewhere, but here's the blurb about Rittenhouse 21 from the recent Bardsotwn Bourbon Society newsletter. If nothing else, it's a beautiful bottle.

TNbourbon
06-25-2006, 13:35
...the recent Bardsotwn Bourbon Society newsletter...

Wish they'd update the website so we could register for the Bernheim tours, like it advises us.

BarItemsPlus1
06-26-2006, 01:07
Tim said...

Wish they'd update the website

Just checked on their website too...
GETTING MORE FRUSTRATED!!!

schlep
07-01-2006, 06:50
I seem to remember the rye sample offered during last year's Festival as barrel proof (around 120) and very good. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? I thought HH might try to go the barrel proof route with this rye.

schlep

boone
08-23-2006, 06:37
We bottled the new Rittenhouse Rye, 21 year last night (first run) ...

Here's a few pictures...

Barrel_Proof
08-23-2006, 08:42

I beautiful sight to behold, indeed!

boone
08-23-2006, 10:05
I beautiful sight to behold, indeed!

I need to "fill in the blanks" here...A sort of "the rest of the story" kinda thing.

The story goes like this:

We toured Heaven Hill, last year during the Kentucky Bourbon Festival. We were given the opportunity to taste several different bottlings and a few "rare" one's ta boot. The rarest was straight from the barrel Rye...

Everyone loved it. They loved it so much that our group wanted to "buy" a barrel. We checked on it and after a bit of investigation...Larry, told me that they only had 33 barrels of that particular year. They would work out something and try to make it available. Next thing I hear is Larry telling me they were going to produce a Rittenhouse Rye Single Barrel, with those 33 barrels....

And...Here they are. In my opinion, I believe that this bottling is a "direct" result from our tour that September night :grin: :grin:

:cool: :cool: Kinda Cool :cool: :cool:

Bettye Jo

nor02lei
08-23-2006, 10:23

Here's a few pictures...

Bettye Jo,

Iím sure the content are delicious but I miss the nice plastic screw cap from the other Rittenhouse versions.

Leif

NorCalBoozer
08-23-2006, 10:47
that is awesome! very much looking forward to this one. Greg

Nebraska
08-23-2006, 16:29
Man alive, bring it on!

BourbonJoe
08-23-2006, 16:35
Now all we need is a second job to be able to afford to buy a bottle.
Joe

Virus_Of_Life
08-23-2006, 23:53
And...Here they are. In my opinion, I believe that this bottling is a "direct" result from our tour that September night :grin: :grin:

:cool: :cool: Kinda Cool :cool: :cool:

Bettye Jo

Not just kinda cool, very cool!! That is what in my opinion it's all about; being able to influence outcomes like that, the American way! I wasn't there, but I sincerely thank everyone that was for helping to make something like this come to fruition....

:skep: Now I just wonder; will I even see it out in SoCal and if so am I going to be able to afford it?

Frodo
08-24-2006, 15:42
Oh man, I wish we could get that stuff up here...

CrispyCritter
08-24-2006, 15:55
It's incredibly tempting - but (as stated in the beginning of the thread) the price is probably going to be north of $100. I just might have to break my rule about not buying a bottle that expensive, though. :eek:

camduncan
08-24-2006, 16:02
I can guarantee it won't make it Downunder to Australia :(

FlashPuppy
08-25-2006, 18:37
:smiley_acbt: that is a LOT of money..... :bigeyes:

jspero
09-27-2006, 02:36
Here is an interesting article that SEEMS to be about the new Rittenhouse 21yo (but touches on a lot of other stuff):

http://www.washtimes.com/business/20060927-120612-5672r.htm

Jay

Rughi
09-27-2006, 07:56
Here is an interesting article that SEEMS to be about the new Rittenhouse 21yo (but touches on a lot of other stuff):

Jay

It looks like the journalist confused Parker Beam for Jim Beam. I don't think "Mr. Beam also produces Basil Hayden's," as the article states. Interesting article nonetheless.

Roger

boone
09-27-2006, 09:39

Jay

The same article appeared in the Lexington Herald...

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/business/15609281.htm

That is what's posted on the web but in the "actual" newspaper there's a huge picture, with caption identifying Parker Beam, Master Distiller Heaven Hill, in a full warehouse holding a bottle of Rittenhouse 21. On the front page header it had a picture of the Rittenhouse too.

Bettye Jo

Nebraska
09-27-2006, 10:41
Ok, I'm confused, or maybe I have my numbers wrong. The first story stated they had 32 barrels. Later in the story it stated there would be 3,000 bottles. I thought (and this is where I could be wrong) that I had heard people at the festival saying barrels they had purchased (of other bourbons) had roughly around 180 bottles give or take. I realize that number has a wide variance, but that is a VERY wide variance.

smokinjoe
09-27-2006, 11:06
Ok, I'm confused, or maybe I have my numbers wrong. The first story stated they had 32 barrels. Later in the story it stated there would be 3,000 bottles. I thought (and this is where I could be wrong) that I had heard people at the festival saying barrels they had purchased (of other bourbons) had roughly around 180 bottles give or take. I realize that number has a wide variance, but that is a VERY wide variance.
Greedy Angels!:D The evaporation on a whiskey that old is going to be fairly substantial. So they're going to get much less than that 180 bottles per. Based on those numbers, something like 90 bottles per? Looking at a Data Sheet I have for the 2005 Saz 18yr. for instance, Buffalo Trace states: "Evaporation loss: 67.73% of the original whiskey lost to evaporation" OUCH!
JOE

boone
09-27-2006, 11:12
Greedy Angels!:D The evaporation on a whiskey that old is going to be fairly substantial. So they're going to get much less than that 180 bottles per. Based on those numbers, something like 90 bottles per? Looking at a Data Sheet I have for the 2005 Saz 18yr. for instance, Buffalo Trace states: "Evaporation loss: 67.73% of the original whiskey lost to evaporation" OUCH!
JOE

Exactly, Joe...

The folks who bought barrels, the age was 12-14 years old...or at least that was one of them. Thier barrel was bottled at 90 proof..This Rittenhouse is 21 years old and bottled at 100 proof.

You'd be suprised...some of those old barrels only produce a few gallons...Warehousemen have told me they have pulled empty one's too...Slow leak and no one spotted it...

We bottled two more barrels last night...It only gets a layer to a pallet.

Bettye Jo

jeff
09-27-2006, 11:22
Has anyone seen this on a shelf yet?

Nebraska
09-27-2006, 13:07
I am currently headed toward my basement to construct a Rye vapor recapturing unit to send to Heaven Hill. Of course after installation, I will expect a reasonable amount to be bottled and sent to me.

I guess that makes sense that over time you'd be losing measured amounts. It still brings a tear to my eye though. :cry:

Nebraska
09-27-2006, 13:10
Bettye jo are they going out 3 bottles to a case?

boone
09-27-2006, 15:16
Bettye jo are they going out 3 bottles to a case?

Yes, three to a case...

I just checked to see where the first shipments went to...

Kentucky :grin: :bigeyes: :grin:

and...England...

I am told that small amounts will be delivered to every market distributor...No one will get "alot" so that it can be spread around...many folks will get a shot at it.

Sooooooooooooooo...You Kentucky Boyz :grin: :grin: :grin: start your engines :893drillsergeant-th :893drillsergeant-th :893drillsergeant-th :893drillsergeant-th

Bettye Jo

CrispyCritter
09-27-2006, 19:29
...some of those old barrels only produce a few gallons...Warehousemen have told me they have pulled empty one's too...Slow leak and no one spotted it...
:cry:

Still though, there's that nagging question in my mind: one bottle of Rittenhouse 21, or a case of Rittenhouse BIB? :eek:

boone
09-28-2006, 08:52
The same article appeared in the Lexington Herald...

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/business/15609281.htm

That is what's posted on the web but in the "actual" newspaper there's a huge picture, with caption identifying Parker Beam, Master Distiller Heaven Hill, in a full warehouse holding a bottle of Rittenhouse 21. On the front page header it had a picture of the Rittenhouse too.

Bettye Jo

Here's a scan of the article as it appeared in the Lexington Herald...

smokinjoe
10-20-2006, 06:09
On a Delta flight to Dallas this week, I was reading their "Sky" magazine where I came across the section where Paul Pacult reviews various wines, spirtits etc. The October issue has his review of the 21 yr Rittenhouse. He says: "If you buy just one American whiskey this fall (heavens to Betsy, I hope that's the least you do), consider this classic, lip-smacking straight rye whiskey. Even though it's 100 proof, the aromas and flavors are so harmoniously melded that all you savor is its cocoa and honeylike virtures. The best straight rye I've sampled in 25 years. 5 Stars (out of a possible five)"

Well, :toast: to that!

JOE

barturtle
10-20-2006, 06:17
Link (http://www.delta-sky.com/) to Sky Magazine

Look for an artice called Pie in the Sky

shaggy
10-20-2006, 12:06
It also got a mention in Esquire Magazine. Here is a link to that story:
http://www.esquire.com/features/articles/2006/060906_mfe_October_06_Rye.html

stoopsie
10-20-2006, 14:10
Why, why why would he smile so wide?

Howie

stoopsie
10-20-2006, 14:15
Because he received his shipment of Dougdog's near perfect Willett 22yo, 136.7 proof Kentucky straight rye whiskey. Thats why.

Looks like this is going to be a great weekend.

Looks like it is time for 20+yr rye shoot out.

Howie

boone
10-23-2006, 07:52
The chat last night, yielded questions about the Rittenhouse 21.

I tried to find this note during the chat but decided to post it instead. Seems that folks are saying that most all of it is going to New York. I specifically asked him that question.

Here's "part<---of a private message" sent to me from Larry.

> Date: 2006/10/03 Tue AM 10:12:10 EDT
> To: <bjboone@bellsouth.net>
> Subject: RE: distribution
>
> Bettye Jo--
>
>
>
> The same amount has been
> allocated for NY as for CA and IL/IN. And nearly as much has been allocated
> for TX and FL. And you are correct, these are still very small case amounts.
> I'm not sure anyone is selling this like crazy because a) there isn't very
> much to begin with and b) its very expensive.
>
>
>
> Hope that helps...
>
>
>
> Larry Kass
>
> Director of Corporate Communications
>
> Heaven Hill Distilleries, Inc.
>
> lkass@heaven-hill.com

Gillman
10-23-2006, 09:14
Where will it be available in Kentucky?

Gary

cowdery
10-23-2006, 09:31
Larry is the person who told me most of it is going to New York, but since he put the above in writing, let's consider that operative.

boone
10-23-2006, 10:41
Where will it be available in Kentucky?

Gary

Ya know...I've been on top of this thing. Right after the first bottling I posted where the first shipment went. I looked for myself.

After last night, seems that folks are just a tad bit aggravated for not seeing this on their shelf. I have no control over such things and I do my best to find out all the information that's there.

Not long ago, a member (maybe he will post his experience) of this forum sent me a pm asking to help him find a bottle. His state was not listed as on of the distribution points. I gave him the number to call and told him a contact.

He was successful :grin: He's been "promised" the Rittenhouse 21.

The number is 502 348-3921 ask for sales...They will connect you to Rachel or Ms. Hamilton...and direct you throughout the way...

Hope this helps with your questions... I sincerely hope that all of ya, that want one, will be successful :grin: :grin:

Bettye Jo

Joeluka
10-23-2006, 11:21
I am in NY and I have now been called by three different stores that I frequent. All of them letting me know it's in. If you want me to pick one up for you,send me a PM. They are going for $140 at every store I can get it AND they are going fast.

Nebraska
10-23-2006, 13:22
As you all know (or should) in the flatlands of Nebraska we are very resistant to change. In terms of Bourbon and Rye that means, if they haven't sold it locally in the past, they are not going to on trying to sell anything new or different. So...I have to be very creative and very aggressive in trying to find things. Please don't interpret this into my being stingy or obnoxious, I sincerely hope I am neither and I try very hard not to step on other peoples toes.

That being said, after talking to Bettye Jo and asking her what might be the best way to pursue Rittenhouse 21, she provided me with the information she just posted. Eventually that lead me down a path that got me to an individual that said I was out of luck. Later in the conversation he did say that he thought he would go ahead and buy some for me if I wanted and bring it to Nebraska. If anybody here is interested, PM me. I will warn you straight out that I am not going to get many, and if it's only 2, I may be only able to pass along one, but would be happy to do so and will do whatever I can do. I'm thinking from what he said, I should be hearing from him in about another 30 days.

Keep in mind too, I don't have it and don't know for certain if I'll ever see it. But not through a lack of trying:lol:

boone
10-24-2006, 09:22
It's been available in Kentucky for over a week now...I didn't (positively) know that till I made a few calls (yesterday)...Toddy's in Bardstown has already sold out.

Bettye Jo

I am in NY and I have now been called by three different stores that I frequent. All of them letting me know it's in. If you want me to pick one up for you,send me a PM. They are going for $140 at every store I can get it AND they are going fast.

Bamber
11-09-2006, 06:41
Tasting notes from whiskymag:

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/rittenhouse_rye/whisky3587.html