PDA

View Full Version : What Our Parents Drank.

cowdery
06-28-2006, 17:06
Ken's post in the Kentucky Tavern thread gave me this idea. What did your parents drink when you were growing up? Please don't answer if they got drunk every night and beat you, but if your beverage alcohol example in the home was a positive one, share it here.

My parents drank Mattingly & Moore, the cheapest straight bourbon they could buy in control state Ohio. My parents believed that anything worth doing was worth doing exactly the same way every single day of your life. When my dad came home from work, mom would pour a bourbon on the rocks for each of them. Dad would have his at the table. Mom sometimes would sit but usually she was finishing making dinner. They would drink their drinks and talk about their days. We kids were usually in the next room watching old Three Stooges shorts.

BourbonJoe
06-28-2006, 17:12
My parents did not drink hard liquor (my dad may have had one once in awhile). They were beer drinkers. They drank Rolling Rock. They drank LOTS of Rolling Rock. I was sadend to hear that Rolling Rock will no longer be made in Latrobe, PA. They sold out (I think to Busch) and are moving the operation to New Jersey. Heaven forbid. It will now probably glow in the dark. If my old man knew that, he'd roll over in his grave.
Joe :hot:

elkdoggydog
06-28-2006, 17:34
My folks drank Evan Williams 7 YO, and for the most part still do.

Gillman
06-28-2006, 17:40
Beefeater gin and tonic or water, at parties. Some Canadian whisky was always around too, V.O. as I recall.

However at larger parties (and I've spoken about this here before) all drinks were served by family friend and bartender Wally. I used to talk to Wally (this is early 70's) about drinking. He didn't drink at all, didn't think it was good for bartenders to do that. All his spirits were "Schenley" because he worked for or somehow represented them. He was very proud of that, I'd say, "Wally what rye's the best?", he'd say, "O.F.C.". I'd say "yes but what about V.O., that's good too isn't it"? He'd say, "Don't bother with anything other than Schenley, it's the best". :)

Gary

doubleblank
06-28-2006, 17:46
My parents were not much drinkers of alcohol.......it was either Lone Star or Pearl beer when they wanted something (both made in San Antonio). But at my first wedding rehearsal dinner in 1980, my Dad bought a case of Old Fitz BIB. We went through several at the dinner. I still have a few from that case....they have lasted much longer than the marriage did. My ex, mother of my daughter, and I still share a drink of the Old Fitz from time to time.

My mother now likes margaritas...made with a good reposado....like Herradura.

Randy

tritioch
06-28-2006, 17:51
Parents drank a number of things. Jameson's was particularly popular with them when I was real young, then Tsing Tao Beer, the Gordon's Gin and tonic. Now mostly wine.

bluesbassdad
06-28-2006, 18:43
My parents never drank in front of me. However, I'm pretty sure one or both did drink. (Is there any non-imbibing use for Mogen David? I saw empties in the trash more than once.)

Fast forward a decade. They drive 450 miles to visit my wife and me in our home for the first time. I open and drink a beer in conjunction with grilling hamburgers outdoors. The next morning, with only the feeblest of excuses, they arise earlier, pack and leave -- cutting short their planned visit by two days. My wife believes they were offended by my drinking, just as she and I know hers would be. I never discussed the incident with my parents.

As with so many things in my life the benefits of those experiences accrued to my son.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

wku88
06-28-2006, 21:41
Dad drank a lot. Mostly beer and bourbon. First bourbon I remember him drinking was Yellowstone (remember the cap on even the half pints was about the same size and shape as a shot glass?), mebbe Old Fitz on occaision, because he had a cousin that worked there. He always lit up like a Christmas tree around the Holidays if he got a bottle of Maker's as a gift. Turned to VOB, and it stayed that way for years. Nowadays, he might have a sip of Kentucky Gentleman.
Beer (again starting from my earliest recollections) was Falls City, then Stroh's, then to Sterling. After Sterling, it was a mis-mash of beer of the month/cheap stuff. Milwaukee's Best was the latest.

Thanks for bringing this up. Brings back a lot of good memories, and some bad, but mostly good memories of my Pop.

TimmyBoston
06-28-2006, 21:44
My folks never drink, unless you count that beer and glass of white zin (ewww!) on New Years Eve. I don't know where I acquired my love for aged grain spirit.

Edward_call_me_Ed
06-28-2006, 22:21
My folks are beer drinkers. Old Milwaukee when I was little. When they got a bit ahead on the mortgage they often drank Bud. These days they drink Bush Lite. I don't know why. The mortgage was paid off long ago.

There was sometimes a bottle of Mogen David Concord Grape wine at family gatherings. There would be some left with 20 or more adults drinking it. Later, when Americans started to appreciate better wines, the Mogen David disappeared. I kind of like it myself.

Nowadays Dad drinks wine fairly often. There was often a bottle of whiskey in the house, but one bottle would last for years on end. I couldn't tell you what kind for sure. Maybe Jim Beam White. I remember seeing Canadian Club, too.

Now there is a bottle of Knob Creek and a bottle of Evan William's SB that I left there last time I was home. At least I think it is...
Ed

T47
06-28-2006, 23:03
My Dad was a Martini drinker...Beefeater Gin and he passed the bottle of Vermouth over the glass...maybe a little fell in as it passed...He drank a lot of those...

robbyvirus
06-28-2006, 23:31
My dad drank martinis with Booth's Gin. My mom drank white wine. My parents are now in their 80s, and my mon still drinks white wine, while my father has moved on to vodka on the rocks. He drinks whatever is the cheapest (often really rotgut stuff in plastic bottles), although if we go out to a fancy restaurant, he'll order an Absolut.

Hedmans Brorsa
06-29-2006, 01:18
As a self-appointed hedonist, my father enjoys both wine and beer. It is only in recent years that I have managed to tune him in on whisk(e)y. He still prefers Cognac, though.

According to him, when he grew up (born 1943) whisk(e)y was held in disdain and looked upon as something inferior to Cognac.

Apart from the odd liqueur to accompany a cup of coffee, my mother´s interest in alcohol is almost nil.

pepcycle
06-29-2006, 08:51
My first recollections were beer. Rheingold, Ballantine and Schaeffer.
In the 60's, there was a shift to wine. Sangria, Cold Duck, Grandpa's burgundy, Gallo Jugs and wicker covered Chianti. Remember the wine bota?
Then my dad started on Jack Daniels; Choir Practice, as he called sessions with fellow minions of the law.
Microbrews in the 90's and now its classic martinis.

chasking
06-29-2006, 09:07
My dad always drank bourbon, but tended to pick a favorite from among the cheap bottom-shelf brands. The ones I remember are Early Times and Cabin Still, and eventually Evan Williams. He thought Dickel No. 8 was really the good stuff. (Hey, Tennessee whiskey, like Jack Daniel's, but cheaper!) He also drank a lot of beer, whatever was on sale.

Since I took up whiskey as a hobby, I've been trying to steer him towards better bourbon. He recently moved up to Old Forester as an everyday pour/mixer, and I usually give him a bottle of some better stuff for Christmas or his birthday. I gave him a bottle of Weller 12yo recently and he really liked it---it went in a hurry.

Gillman
06-29-2006, 09:17
I'd be remiss not to mention the 70's matinee star amongst approachable inexpensive wines, Blue Nun (and its imitators). This always was ordered in our set at dinners downtown in Montreal (there was another one we liked, too, made by Deinhard). It went well with the "Continental"-style food popular then. Continental meant vaguely European food such as coq au vin, various schnitzels, the unforgettable trout or sole amandine (which is actually very good), orange and other duck preparations, and so forth. (Someone should create a 70's dinner complete with accompanying wines, that would be a gas - Old Fitzgerald cocktails to start). I should buy Blue Nun and that Deinhard again and see if they taste the same. They were good entry wines for people who were put off by the rituals, pricing and abv's of traditional wine service.

Gary

Rancastle
06-29-2006, 09:27
My father kept the garage frig. full of either Blatz, Falstaff, or Hamms beer, which ever was on sale. The house frig. always had a bottle of Mogan David blackberry wine. And his small liquor cabinet always had Early Times.

gr8erdane
06-29-2006, 09:58
Mom didn't drink a drop. She used to say it was because the last time she drank she lost her underwear at a party. Dad was at that party I believe and the rest was history.......

Dad didn't drink much at home, an occasional beer or two when company came over but not much hard liquor. Later, after Mom passed and he remarried he developed a taste for G&T with Tanqueray his Gin of choice. I do remember a short period where he and his buddies and their wives were into Sangria and we had a bottle or two in the fridge then. Now he doesn't drink but an occasional beer or glass of wine with dinner lest my currrent stepmother apply her teetotaling cold shoulder towards him.

One of my fondest memories of early drinking dates back to when Mom wouldn't let dad keep beer in the fridge. He left an old Coleman cooler at the side of the patio after a fishing trip that was full of Hamms beer in the keg shaped cans. Over a period of a couple of months I snuck those out and drank em. When he discovered them gone, he gave me a wink and a smirk but never said a word so Mom wouldn't find out. Gotta love my old man.

Gillman
06-29-2006, 10:09
My parents did not like beer but I made up for it. :)

Mention of 70's brands like Falstaff, Schlitz, Old Milwaukee, Schaefer, Ballantine, Piels, Blatz brings back memories. I enjoyed buying all these and others in border towns and trying the different tastes. Although it is popular now to deprecate the mass-produced lagers of that time I enjoyed them and did not find them all the same. Each, while of course broadly in the same style, had its own taste. I remember Falstaff quite well, I liked that one, and especially Schaefer and Ballantine. I remember buying the first Coors "bootlegged" east and sold in small stores in upstate New York. Even somewhat overaged it was good. I liked Michelob too (and still do). While I later became an acolyte of the craft beer revival I never lost my taste for these beers, the taste for which I acquired before the micro and import trends really got going. PBR too, I remember 'em all. Some by the way could give the micros of today a run for their money including Prior Double Dark of Pennsylvania, Kentucky's own Royal Amber (maybe - probably now that I think on it - a descendant of the pre-Prohibition Kentucky common ale), Ballantine IPA which I LOVED, Maximus Super (a malt liquor from West End Brewing in Utica, NY, which makes the well-known Saranac line today), Yeungling Porter, the Augsburger beers, and there were others. They were especially good. There were also certain imports I associate with that time, like Dinkelacher. "Drink the Dink" went the slogan, and I did!

Gary

doubleblank
06-29-2006, 10:15
Dane....I have a good "Dad and drinking" story too. I was 16yo and working at a bank (VOE student). After work, a group headed to a local bar to drink and shoot pool (I looked over 18). I had a few Black Russians. Then I remembered the family was going out to dinner so I headed home. They were waiting for me when I got home....so we headed for the car. Unfortunately, the family Olds Delta 88 was in the shop...so all five of us stuffed into my Dad's Ford truck...the good ol days before seatbelt laws, etc. We are sitting in each other's laps. I'm trying not to exhale....

My Mom asks "Randy....have you been drinking?" in that familiar tone we have all heard at some point in our lives.

Before I could answer (with a lie, of course), my Dad says

"No Dana.....I'm letting Randy try out that new aftershave I picked up the other day".

The ruse worked......my Dad and I still laugh about that, but not in front of Mom.

Randy

Joeluka
06-29-2006, 10:22
Both my Grandfathers (both named Joe) and my Dad (also a Joe) drink Johnny Walker Red. Its the only bottle I can ever recall at any family function. I recently turned my dad on to bourbon and he is a Van Winkle addict like me now. We went to a bourbon tasting hosted by a local liquor store about 3 months ago and it was a Van Winkle tasting. They had Julian there teaching the differences in all his products. For $25 a head the had 14 people there and they opened up 2 bottles of ORVW 10/107, Lot-B, Pappy 20 and Pappy 23. After the 14 of us had a minor pour of all of them 8 people left and the rest of us FINISHED off all the bottles. I brought with me a bunch of bottles for Julian to sign and was talked into opening my Old Time Rye 12yo. When my dad found out what the price of the 20 & 23 were he couldn't believe that me and him finished off 3/4 of a bottle of both of them for $25. Now there is always a JWR, Lot-B and Pappy 20 open in his bar at all time.

scopenut
06-29-2006, 12:23
Growing up in NY, I remember my parents drinking Rheingold, Ballantine, and Schaeffer beer. Sometimes Canadian Club for New Years.

Moving to Florida in the late 50's, my parents' beers stayed about the same, with the addition of Black Label. Later, went through the sangria phase (does anyone remember Bali Hai wine?).

Got introduced to bourbon by a music teacher (jazz accordion player from Chicago) when I was 17-18, who drank Beam white almost exclusively. Little did I know there were so many superior products out there. But I do now.

Kevin

BobA
06-29-2006, 12:26
My parents essentially didn't drink when we were kids. Maybe the rare wine with a fancy dinner out, or my dad might order some german beer. They did drink (but very lightly) after we all left (my oldest siblings suggest that they were returning to earlier practices), but pretty much just more of that. The one whiskey I remember my father liking was Bushmills, but probably had one bottle in his last 15 years. There was a fair stash of liquor that had been given as gifts after they dies; some had disappeared over the years (i wasn't me!) and I think Dad may have made sure any good drink found some takers.
Bob

Whiskey Willie
06-29-2006, 12:35
Great nostalgic thread!...

Dad was not much of a drinker. A six of Falstaff would last him a solid year. On holidays he usually brought out the Jim Beam and Kessler and had 7-Up on hand to mix.

cas
06-29-2006, 13:35
My folks drank a variety of things over the years - in later years my mom drank Thunderbird (and actually referred to it as wine). The first time I brought my girlfriend (now my wife of almost 16 years) home to meet my parents my mom asked her if she'd like some wine and I had to intervene and explain that beer was probably a better choice. Any beer.

One of my earlier memories is grabbing a bottle of OGD in a decanter with a cork stopper - by the stopper and emptying much of it on the living room rug ~ probably about 1962. I think it had been a Christmas gift. Fortunately, my dad forgave me, and the rug quit smelling ... after a time.

I remember a period of whiskey sours, starting with a hand cranked ice crusher, eventually moving to a blender. They were usually made with a blended whiskey - Seagrams 7 or something similar. If we went out to eat my dad would often order a Manhatten.

In his last few years my dad drank mostly Jack Daniels and we were able to share a few good glasses in the months before he passed away. I had just started drinking good bourbon about the time his health started to fail rapidly. We did share some Rare Breed but, sadly, we never had that glass of ORVW 15 together like I had planned.
Craig

smokinjoe
06-29-2006, 13:56
I remember as a kid that Dad usually drank anything cheap or on sale. But, it had to be good to him. Schaeffers, Blatz, Hamms, Drewreys, on the beer side. I remember him saying that Buckhorn was in his price range, but he couldn't stand it. He always spoke of a beer he drank during his youth in Cleveland, OH--Leisey's. He always said it was the best beer he ever had. A close second for him was Carlings Red Cap Ale.

On the whiskey side, it was Kesslers or Black Velvet.

Mom drank infrequently, Cold Duck on New Year's, maybe a vodka and OJ once or twice during the Summer, but I know her absolute favorite was the Harvey Wallbanger.

JOE

TomH
06-29-2006, 14:53
My dad's typical beers were either Weidemans or PBR (this may be the reason I never liked beer when I was growing up). Whiskey was either Old Granddad or Calverts (Blend). Mom always drank sweet mixed drinks where you didn't pay attention to the brand....occasionally she would have a 7 and 7

Tom

jburlowski
06-29-2006, 14:59
My Dad drank mostly beer (Schlitz before they ruined it; Pabst after) and since we lived in Milwaukee a shot or two of brandy.

He taught me that there was nothing wrong or evil about drinking. He also taught early on the effects of drinking too much (my head hurts with the memory. Never drink and drive and never drink so much that you act stupid or ride.

ratcheer
06-29-2006, 15:45
Great thread, Chuck.

I was one of the "bad experience" kids. But I remember on the infrequent occasions when my dad bought some good stuff, it was usually Canadian Club or Smirnoff vodka.

Tim

jeff
06-29-2006, 16:01
Great thread, Chuck.

I was one of the "bad experience" kids. But I remember on the infrequent occasions when my dad bought some good stuff, it was usually Canadian Club or Smirnoff vodka.

Tim

Me too, sort of. My dad died early as a result of a combination of alcoholism and agent orange. Probably would have died without the alcohol anyway. What I do remember of his drinking was mostly beer, Strohs in the barrel-shaped bottles. Every once and a while he would give me a drink...it was terrible, to a 9yo, :lol:

ThomasH
06-29-2006, 16:26
My grandmother owned a bar from 1945 to 1972 and had everything imagineable behind the counter in her establishment. For my dad, it was sometimes Canadian whiskey and maybe Seagrams 7. When it came to bourbon though, it was always Old Grand Dad BIB. I guess I get my love of 100 proof and up bourbon honestly. When my grandma died in 1998, my dad and uncle divided up her liquor cabinet, my uncle going for the vodka and rum. My dad ended up with all of the whiskey, which ultimately filtered down to me as he isn't allowed to drink much anymore. Many of my plum bottles came from her liquor cabinet. When my dad does have a drink, we get out one of those bottles from grandmas liquor cabinet. Cheers forever to grandma!

Thomas

Isoflex
06-29-2006, 17:06
My parents were not what I would call drinkers. Wine was always around but not drunk much. They would buy a case of Pabst now and again. I always got a small (double shot size) A&W mug full when I was just 6 or so on up till we moved South to a DRY County when I was 11. They would often have wine and cheese parties with various liquors available but mainly wines. (To date this, my parents would also buy Cigarettes for the guests lest the guests should run out - my parents didn't even smoke!) I guess that is why I get so much enjoyment out of hosting get-togethers nowadays.

kbuzbee
06-30-2006, 08:37
My parents believed that anything worth doing was worth doing exactly the same way every single day of your life. When my dad came home from work, mom would pour a bourbon on the rocks for each of them. Dad would have his at the table. Mom sometimes would sit but usually she was finishing making dinner. They would drink their drinks and talk about their days. We kids were usually in the next room watching old Three Stooges shorts.

Sounds VERY familiar, Chuck. One drink... every day. Usually for Dad it was Kentucky Tavern and water... Mom had hers with 7-UP. I can remember them taking a bottle with us on vacation. We usually went to see his mother and Mom's sister's family and Mom's father in Missouri. None of them EVER drank so the bottle was quietly "smuggled" into the house and the drinks were made & consumed in their room. I assume everyone knew but no one spoke of it... I was told not to mention it.

On warm summer days he would occasionally mix a Tom Collins or a high ball. One day when I was home from college he made me a high ball. It was great... I guess I didn't care enough back then to even ask what was in it. Just enjoyed a summer evening with my folks. I'd forgotten all about those drinks until the recent thread on Gin... Made one. Wow... the memories came back.... They're a perfect summer drink. That one is now in my regular arsenal.

I don't remember beer ever being in the house... I do remember them taking their old pewter mugs to the neighborhood block party every summer where there was a keg. His mug had a flip open lid... Hers was open. Both had glass bottoms....

As for stupid waste stories.... When I was maybe 6-7 I remember pouring a 16 oz tumbler of Bourbon for Santa!!! (Wonder what my folks really thought of THAT?!?). I noticed the sink smelled of Bourbon the following morning.... Guess you shouldn't drink when flying with reindeer:lol:

Thanks for the memories...... I miss them.

Ken

Sijan
06-30-2006, 11:12
My folks don't really drink much, and didn't really drink at all when I was a kid. They're members of the Nazarene Church, which is directly opposed to drinking (and dancing!, anything fun, really), so that kind of put a damper on things. However, my Dad was always a beer drinker and occasionally would hide some beer in the back of the basement fridge. When I was a kid, I once found some empties hidden in the back of the freezer (during a church party, of all things), but my mother's quick talking made it sound like they were somehow part of a recycling drive that I was doing for boy scouts. I'm not sure what kind of beer he drank then, but I know he's mentioned Oly, and I think he drank Bud as well. Probably any of the macro brands available on the West Coast and in the Mountain West (he spent much of his life in California, but we moved to Idaho when I was two.)

Now, my folks will drink occasionally - mostly wine - though I've never seen either have liquor straight - my mom will occasionally have a mixed drink while on vacation. My dad still drinks beer, but his tastes have improved a bit - he was sucking down the free Sam Adams and Heinekens at my graduation.
Given the lack of drinking in my house when I was younger, it was pretty surreal to go to wine tastings with them in the past few years.

I don't think they understand my interest in bourbon at all, and I think they are concerned and maybe even mildly embarassed about it. I had something like "collecting and drinking fine bourbons" as one item on a list of several in the interests section of my resume, and my dad strongly recommended I take it off. I left it on, and had a number of good conversations with interviewers about good bourbons, what makes bourbon different from JD or scotch, etc.

kbuzbee
06-30-2006, 12:48
I had something like "collecting and drinking fine bourbons" as one item on a list of several in the interests section of my resume, and my dad strongly recommended I take it off. I left it on, and had a number of good conversations with interviewers about good bourbons, what makes bourbon different from JD or scotch, etc.

But did you get the job?? I've always had a problem listing things 'not work related' on a resume... I know they say it shows you're a more well rounded individual and early in my career I followed that logic. Later in life I had trouble limiting a resumee to a couple pages and still say what I needed to say so things that were disrelated fell off quickly.

Ken

Sijan
06-30-2006, 15:20
I got several offers...didn't seem to affect anything negatively, and like I said, had several good, positive conversations with interviewers on the subject. I just sort of figured a lot of attorneys would probably enjoy bourbon or scotch, or at least have a passing interest

cowdery
06-30-2006, 16:07
Ah, memories. Reading yours has brought back more of mine. I hadn't mentioned beer, but my mother's family was German Catholic, so beer was like mother's milk, literally, and not really "drinking."

But bourbon? As Walker Percy wrote in his 1975 essay, “Bourbon,” “Bourbon does for me what the piece of cake did for Proust.”

tmas
07-03-2006, 01:01
My father always had a gallon jug of wine sitting in the corner of the dining room. He would find a new brand when the one he currently drank became unavailable, Italian Swiss Colony, CK, then Gallo or Carlo Rossi, usually they were called "burgundy" but of course they were a mix of Calafornia grapes. Those jugs were my first taste of an alcholic beverage, mixed with some seltzer for a taste when I was a kid. My father would have a couple of small glasses each night with his dinner and that "jug wine" was pretty good with dinner! Nothing fancy, just simple fruity wine.
In the summer sometimes he would drink domestic beer. My recollection of domestic beer in the 60's and early 70's is that it was often pretty good! This was before all the independent brands went under or were bought out by companies like Stroh's which then simply put there generic beer in the can, invariably uninteresting and having nothing to do with what the original brand tasted like. Back then the independent breweries made some darn good beer! My father preferred Rheingold (I miss that beer!), Shlitz, Shaeffer,or Pabst Blue Ribbon, and there were other good ones like Schmidts in a squat round bottle, and Knickerbocker! I don't think some of these beers had national distribution, but they were all available in the NYC area were I grew up.

Hard liquor was for special occasions or holidays. That's the only time my mother ever really drank, her favorite being the brandy alexander. She and my father would each have one or two of these or a manhattan on New Year's or Christmas eve and the like. As for other hard liquor, the occasional gin and tonnic in the summer. I remember seeing bottles of liquor in the liquor cabinet that stayed there for 20+ years. Now that my folks are gone, I still have some of those bottles. Hmmmm......all this brings back fond memories, wish I could put my hands on a flash frozen can of 1965 Rheingold to savor with the memories! Tom V

tgriff
07-04-2006, 05:20
Like many posts in this thread have mentioned, my folks were not big drinkers when I was growing up. They would have the occaisonal beer or glass of wine at an oyster roast or holiday gathering.

When my brother and I moved out, they got more interested in entertaining and starting keeping liquor on hand: Maker's, Benchmark, various rums and tequila. My dad makes a great margarita.

CrispyCritter
07-04-2006, 05:55
My father is a teetotaler, mainly due to a very bad hangover experience when he was younger. My mother will have an occasional drink of wine with dinner (usually a white zinfandel these days).

As for grandparents, both of my grandfathers were teetotalers; on my mom's side it probably had to do with his father having an alcohol-fuelled mean streak, on my dad's side I think it just didn't interest him. For the grandmothers, on mom's side a non-drinker, on dad's side, a daily Manhattan, or sometimes a martini or wine.

jspero
07-05-2006, 09:33
Neither of my parents really drank much. My mom would (and will) add some rum or wine to something she is cooking, but I don't think I have ever seen her actually drink anything except a glass of wine on 2 distinct occations (my wedding and my sister's wedding).

My dad was never really a drinker, either, but I have shared a drink with him once in a while. His usual choice is Scotch, but I think he likely the Pappy 23 I shared with him recently to celebrate the birth of my son. He was also impressed with ET Lee and Weller 12.

I do have memories of a few cases of home-made rasin wine being in the house at all times when they were still married (they split in 1977). Somebody must have been drinking it, but I don't remember them ever having any.

Jay

brendaj
07-05-2006, 12:52
Chuck,
What a wonderful thread. Reading thru it has been a delightful trip down memory lane.

Although my folks didn't drink regularly, I remember most my Father being really excited when he scored a bottle of Maker's Mark (this would be in the late 50's, early 60's). You had to know someone that knew someone, etc. to get a bottle...:lol:

My Grandfather on my Dad's side played poker with distillery guys. For them it was Yellowstone, Early Times, and Beam (had a boatload of Beam bottles with his name on them).

Pawpaw (Mom's side) was German, so he liked his beer. I remember him warning everyone against drinking Oertel's...He said there was a 'headache in every bottle'...:slappin: I also recall a story about the 1937 flood. Seems he and Mom had to be evacuated by boat, and during this, the boat capsized. She was always amazed at how he treaded (is that a word?) water until they were rescued, with a 7 year old on his shoulders, in a heavy wool coat with a bottle of Bourbon in each pocket...:slappin:

The mention of Mogen David reminded me of my Great Grandmother Garrett. She always used the blackberry to soak her jam cakes for Christmas.
Very cool thread,
Bj

SBOmarc
07-06-2006, 18:39
My mother could count the number of drinks she had enjoyed on one hand. Even that would be a stretch.
Dad could make a case of beer last a year depending on who dropped by without bringing thier beer preference. Dad got what he called the best whiskey of all.."vendor bourbon". As early as I can recall, it was OGD 86 through the 60's and 70's. The 2-3 bottles he got for Christmas every year would last till the next holiday season. He reasoned that a working man can't really drink a lot of bourbon. When he retired he discovered WT 101, and life changed for him. He evolved from his OGD with club soda, in a tall Collins glass, to drinking his whiskey first on the rocks, then neat. Luckily for me, despite geograpy we were able to have "Can You Top This" bottle visits before he passed. For me Bourbon remains a bond that he and I have shared for as long as I can remember.

wispotsill
10-01-2006, 02:02
I wish I had a nickel for every half a gallon of Ten High my daddy drank, I would be a very rich man.

JDutton
02-23-2007, 13:21
I stumbled across this old thread and have enjoyed reading through it. When I was small, I remember my Dad always making himself a Martini and my Mom a Manhattan. I would usually beg for the cherries out of Mom's Manhattans and sometimes she'd give in. I still love the flavor of a maraschino cherry that's been "marinated" for 1/2 hour or so.

I don't remember any brands except that the vermouth was Martini & Rossi. I thought it was fascinating that there were 2 kinds of vermouth. As far as I knew, the only drinks that existed were Martinis and Manhattans.:lol: Dad did drink beer (probably no particular brand) on occasion as well. I don't think Mom cared for it.

Jeff

cowdery
02-23-2007, 15:15
My Mom drank bourbon rocks, not manhattans, but she liked those maraschino cherries too. There is no greater love than for a mother to give up her manhattan-marinated maraschino cherries for her child.

RoyalWater
02-23-2007, 20:22
Neither of my parents have been even casual drinkers. I think my dad may have drank a bit when he was in the Air Force; he says he and his mates drank Seagram's 7 Crown and Jack Daniel's Brandy (? does JD make brandy ?). He says he never drank a beer in his life. My mother did some Schlitz in college but hasn't drank beer since; she's from North Dakota and Schlitz and PBR were the bar standards. Now she does strawberry daiquri on special occassions, sweet red wine in the summer, and champagne at New Year's, but only if I buy it.

My uncle on Dad's side, who is 11 years younger than my dad and 11 years older than me likes Icehouse, Corona, JD, blended and single malt scotch, and Smirnoff or Grey Goose vodka. My other uncle (mom's side) is an alcoholic and likes whatever macro-brewed domestic is on sale, wine coolers, and Windsor Canadian.

Father&Son
02-24-2007, 08:51
Vodka martinis made from Smirinoff's. Martini & Rossi vermouth.

I can recall them both having one (sometimes two) in the evening after work just like Chuck's parents. I don't recall seeing them drinking when I was younger, but noticed it while I was in High School. Perhaps my adolescence that drove them to it! :grin:

Oh...and Coors beer.

MikeK
02-24-2007, 08:54
I always remember my parents and grandparents having beers and cocktails, but I think it tended to be run of the mill stuff. I don't know where my love of high end spirits came from, my parents are always likely to have plastic jugs in the cabinet.

When I used to go visit my grandparents as a young lad in the 60's and 70's I remember we would go out to eat early in the evening. It would start with cocktail hour(s). It was a formal and dignified thing, and dinner would not be sought until later in the evening. My grandfather would always order a Bourbon "perfect" Manhattan, with a twist, not too sweet. I believe this meant to use both dry and sweet vermouth. He would always look the waitress in the eye to see if she was following what he said. If he saw a glimmer of doubt he would say, I'm not being pompous, that full description actually means something, come on back if the bartender doesn't know what I mean.

He never specified a particular bourbon, but when he makes them at home he uses JD black label. He's still at it, bless him, at 90+ years old. I've tried to get him to try some of my bourbons, but he has no interest.

full_proof
02-24-2007, 10:08
My Dad was a Martini drinker...Beefeater Gin and he passed the bottle of Vermouth over the glass...maybe a little fell in as it passed...He drank a lot of those...

My dad enjoyed Martinis, too. He'd more or less just show the Vermouth label to the glass of Beefeater on the rocks, with 2-3 olives (and a splash of olive juice). My dad was an Army Aviator in the 60s & 70s. After a long day of flying (fixed wing and rotor wing) he'd enjoy a cold Budweiser or two, straight from the can. I remember him having a salt shaker and sprinkling the top of the can (I did not inherit that practice, and usually only drink micro/craft beer). He also enjoyed whiskey sours with JD. We had wine and champange for special occasions and holidays, and I was allowed to sample and taste as a kid, having also enjoyed the cherries, olives and garishments from the mixed drinks. Writing this really makes me miss my dad (we lost him to cancer 18 years ago).

My mom drank less than my dad, enjoyed mostly the same things, with the sweeter perfunctory mixed drinks many woman (and men) enjoy. She turned 70 last December and keeps a bottle of JD, Kaluhua, Vodka, Gin, Rum and Vermouth in her home. Happily, she shows interest in, and supports, my bourbon collecting, as she bought me several bottles last Christmas. She knows I won't abuse it, which is not to say I don't occasionally overindulge.

Great thread Chuck!

BourbonJoe
02-24-2007, 12:01
My dad enjoyed Martinis, too. He'd more or less just show the Vermouth label to the glass of Beefeater on the rocks, with 2-3 olives (and a splash of olive juice).

Sounds great. Just the way I'd make em but I'd use just a bit more Vermouth. Now I'm in the mood for a Martini.
Joe :usflag:

fogfrog
02-24-2007, 15:56
My father bought cheap beers whatever was on sale including A&P's Tudor Ale. But when he got the good stuff it was Schlitz. Although he knew wines, he bought jug wine and box wine. But mostly he drank scotch. Usually bottom shelf half gallons.

brian12069
02-25-2007, 04:57
My dad drank Genesee beer. My mom wasn't much of a drinker unless they had a party, then she would drink Genesee too.

I still remember Christmas, 1973, I was 5 years old. In school, the teacher told us to leave Santa a glass of milk and a cookie. I got home and told my parents this. My dad had me leave Santa a can of Genesee and a cookie instead. When I woke up that morning all my presents were there, the can of Genesee had been completely consumed, and one bite had been taken out of the cookie. I just stood there and looked at it...I couldn't believe Santa had been in my house.

Martian
02-25-2007, 17:42
I never saw a bottle of liquor in the house. My father and his brother used to sit out on the driveway in summer during the 1950's and drink Busch Bavarian beer in cans. This was a common way to cool off in Texas before air conditioning. My best friend's father sat on the porch in the dark during summer and drank Pearl beer from bottles. I loved the smell and little puff of smoke when he opened the bottles.

robbyvirus
02-25-2007, 19:05
My dad drank Genesee beer. My mom wasn't much of a drinker unless they had a party, then she would drink Genesee too.

I still remember Christmas, 1973, I was 5 years old. In school, the teacher told us to leave Santa a glass of milk and a cookie. I got home and told my parents this. My dad had me leave Santa a can of Genesee and a cookie instead. When I woke up that morning all my presents were there, the can of Genesee had been completely consumed, and one bite had been taken out of the cookie. I just stood there and looked at it...I couldn't believe Santa had been in my house.

Oh man, we used to drink tons of Genesee Beer and Genesee Cream Ale (in the green can) in college. I loved that stuff...a great American beer!

cowdery
02-26-2007, 12:37
Genny Cream is my dad's beer of choice, so I still drink it whenever I'm in Ohio.

Gillman
02-26-2007, 12:44
Genessee Cream Ale on draft in big "schooners" in Rochester, NY is a treat. They used to serve it there with a head on it an inch and a half thick and I like the micros and fine imports with the best of them but sometimes nothing beats a schooner of Genny Cream Ale.

My parents liked gin at parties. Probably there was some Canadian whisky around but I remember primarily they liked Beefeater gin, with tonic water.

Gary

brian12069
02-26-2007, 15:11
Oh man, we used to drink tons of Genesee Beer and Genesee Cream Ale (in the green can) in college. I loved that stuff...a great American beer!

It's not available in California is it?

tmas
02-26-2007, 17:49

I used to love Genesee 12 Horse Cream Ale back in the 70's. In the 80's they changed the packaging and I believe also the product which IMO was not nearly as good. Wonder if they still make it at all? Tom V

ThomasH
02-26-2007, 17:58
We used to get Genny Cream ale in kegs for our college parties. It was about 26.00 a keg in the mid 80's. That was considered the best beer in a keg for the money at that time. It got to the point that I was totally sick of it. If I drink an occasional beer now, it is usually Corona or Killians Red!

Thomas

Jazzhead
02-26-2007, 18:27
Going to college in the late seventies the ubiquitous brand was Genny Cream Ale. The kegs were the best price, I guess, and you could drink an awful lot of that stuff without getting hung over.

Growing up near New Haven, CT, I remember my grandfather would peddle his bicycle with two big baskets over each side of the rear tire, up "the Hill" to the Hull Brewing Company to bring back sixpacks of Hull's Export Beer. About a buck a six pack, back then, it went out of business when I was in high school. Of course, that was when the drinking age was eighteen, so I was well familiar with it. I remember toasting the last six pack of Hulls in all of Connecticut, out by the marshes sitting on the hood of my Dodge Coronet. A moonlit night spelled a proper end to the last beer brewed in Connecticut.

Of course, that was fifteen years before microbrews.

My grandfather loved his Hulls, but my mom and dad never drank too much. Two drinks were my father's limit, almost always a dry martini with zero vermouth. Usually Gordons or Gilbeys. He freely admitted to me that when he was younger he could never hold his beer, but in all the time I've known him I've never seen him exceed his two drink limit. My mom wasn't a teetoteler, but I can't remember any particular time I ever saw her with a drink in her hand.

cowdery
02-26-2007, 18:55
Genesee is still made in Rochester by what is at least a close successor to the original company. You can take a walk down memory lane at their web site. (http://www.highfalls.com)

Edward_call_me_Ed
02-26-2007, 21:59
I don't remember even hearing of Genesee.

Ed

BourbonJoe
02-27-2007, 03:57
I drank a lot of Genny Cream Ale when I was in my twenties. It kind of fell out of favor in these parts. Haven't even seen one in many years.
Joe :usflag:

TnSquire
02-27-2007, 08:13
My Mother and Stepfather were teetotalers. Southern Baptist are usually closet drinkers but not them! lol.

I remember my Dad drinking PBR, Highlife and Budwiser. Later, when we reconnected, I discovered he is a MM or wadka drinker....guess I won't hold it against him.

My 88yo Grandfather is old school Methodist and he is a teetotaler as well. However, in his younger years, he drank and he used to tell me stories of going and buying dandelion wine off a bootlegger "over in New Canton." This bootlegger BTW was an African American lady who he called "Aunt______." I can't remember her name. I will have to ask him next time I see him.

OscarV
02-27-2007, 13:28
My parents did not drink because it was a sin.
They were fundamentalist Christians.
So when I was over at friends houses it used to blow me away to see their parents drink.
And of course we would steal a beer when we could.

TBoner
02-27-2007, 14:28
My parents also didn't drink.

My dad would have a beer at my mom's parents' house once a year or so, usually Old Style, PBR, or Natty Light, depending on what grandpa had gotten on sale.

My parents still frown on folks who drink (I don't believe my mom thinks it's possible to drink to anything but excess), so this is a passion I don't get to share with them.

straightwhiskeyruffneck
02-27-2007, 16:32
mom never drank, at all. my father used to, and still does drink bourbon whiskey. i remember growing up as a kid my father bringing home a bottle of old crow or sonny brook. alot of time he'd drink too much witch he somtimes still does. he loves to come over to my place and talk whiskey and have a few rounds. he really likes barrel proof whiskies like booker's and george t stagg, just as i do. i dont really get to see dad all that much, but when i do we make it a point to sit down and have a tasting.

full_proof
02-28-2007, 20:41
My parents did not drink because it was a sin.
They were fundamentalist Christians.
So when I was over at friends houses it used to blow me away to see their parents drink.
And of course we would steal a beer when we could.

Alas, the familial and ubiquitous form of P R O H I B I T O N. Forgive me for enunciating the "P" word on SB.com, but the whole concept (and political impetus) really intrigues (and haunts) me. I can neither imagine—nor comprehend—living in the age of—or control of—the 18th Amendment. O.K.--I grew up in a remotely Irish-Catholic [military] household, but the whole concept of completely depriving me of fine whisk[e]y and other "sinful" liquids because someone is “offended” makes me want to take a drink. :lol:

ILLfarmboy
03-02-2007, 22:01
Alas, the familial and ubiquitous form of P R O H I B I T O N. Forgive me for enunciating the "P" word on SB.com, but the whole concept (and political impetus) really intrigues (and haunts) me. I can neither imagine—nor comprehend—living in the age of—or control of—the 18th Amendment. O.K.--I grew up in a remotely Irish-Catholic [military] household, but the whole concept of completely depriving me of fine whisk[e]y and other "sinful" liquids because someone is “offended” makes me want to take a drink. :lol:

My parents don't drink but all my grandparents did. I'm to young to remember what they drank. Whiskey of some kind and vodka is all I remember. I'm Swedish/Irish with a little bit of Scottish. I to find the prohibitionist urge a frighteningly dark aspect of human nature. I don't belive alcohol is sinfull in the least. Habitual drunkenness perhaps. No mater what any of the teetotalers might say Jesus didn't drink grape juice. It was wine.