PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon in the Movies

Pages : [1] 2 3

Isoflex
07-17-2006, 16:36
I was watching "The Hustler" the other night. During the scene where Fast Eddie (Paul Newman) is playing "Minnesota Fats" (Jackie Gleeson) they take a break and order for drinks. Fast Eddie requested J.T.S. Brown...a brand I had tried just recently - too weak for my liking but not terrible. I am wondering if there are other references to bourbons in the movies that may come to mind?

ThomasH
07-17-2006, 16:39
In the 1st Spiderman movie, Willi Dafoe, who ends up being the Gremlin, is shown drinking some Makers Mark!

Thomas

Sijan
07-17-2006, 16:42
I do recall the Maker's in the Spiderman Movie, but was it the first movie or the second one or both?

I'm not sure if I'm remembering the right movie, but it was a major movie I saw in the past year or so, I'm thinking it may have been the latest Batman movie, where there was a bottle of Blanton's on a rich man's (Bruce Wayne's?) cocktail bar. Anyone remember what movie this was? Maybe it was Crash?

Edit - Found this on IMDb entry for Spiderman 2:

Director Trademark: [Sam Raimi] [drink] the alcohol "Maker's Mark" appears in most of Raimi's movies

Sijan
07-17-2006, 16:50
On a related note, see: The Top 10 Movies To Drink Bourbon To...

http://bluekitchen.net/top10bourbonmovies.html

Virus_Of_Life
07-17-2006, 17:24
Aaahhhhh, thank you for asking! In one of my favorite movies of all time there is a classic all be it crude bourbon line, Leaving Las Vegas. Nicholas Cage's character says to Elizabeth Shue's character... I will not post it here due to the crudeness of it, but you can find it on imdb.com.

Also in Pulp Fiction when Uma Thurman's character is ordering "a $5 shake" John Travolta's character replies "That's a shake, that's milk and ice cream? You don't put BOURBON in it or nothing?" CLASSSSSSSIC!!!!

Sijan
07-17-2006, 18:30
That Leaving Las Vegas quote is an all-time classic.

ThomasH
07-17-2006, 19:13
I know that the Makers Mark was in the 1st Spiderman movie for sure because William Dafoe was in it and he was the one drinking it. The 2nd Spiderman movie had that Octavious character that resembled an octopus and was played by another actor, not William Dafoe.

Thomas

jbutler
07-17-2006, 19:42
You guys might also be interested in this (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2885&highlight=bourbon+movies) thread.

Virus_Of_Life
07-17-2006, 19:45
You guys might also be interested in this (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2885&highlight=bourbon+movies) thread.

Sorry Jim, should have known there'd already be a thread about it!

Hedmans Brorsa
07-18-2006, 02:40
That post is two years old. I think Jim meant it as a tip on how to find even more info.

My contribution would be the stunning "Lonely are the brave" (1962), starring Kirk Douglas, Gena Rowlands and Walter Matthau.

There is a scene in a bar with Kirk Douglas down on his luck, ordering a full bottle of Old Charter. The lighting is a bit hazy and I do not possess the expertise to identify the bottling.

tachyonshuggy
07-18-2006, 06:45
I'm not sure if I'm remembering the right movie, but it was a major movie I saw in the past year or so, I'm thinking it may have been the latest Batman movie, where there was a bottle of Blanton's on a rich man's (Bruce Wayne's?) cocktail bar. Anyone remember what movie this was? Maybe it was Crash?

There was a bottle of Blanton's on Christopher Plummer's bar in "The Inside Man." He was an obscenely rich/powerful bank owner so maybe this is the movie?

tachyonshuggy
07-18-2006, 06:48
Oh yeah, just saw "The Matador" w/ Brosnan and Kinnear and there was a blatant placement for Maker's in the first few minutes. And like all good movies featuring bourbon it was there to establish the character's excesses :)

gr8erdane
07-18-2006, 21:44
Two years old and still room for more posts rather than starting a redundant thread may be closer to our kind host's intended message, Lennart. Just another commercial announcement for our sponser, the search function.:lol:

Isoflex
07-20-2006, 17:29
Quite correct. Should have done a search, though most times it doesn't get me the info I want in this case it would have turned up not only the same thread name but the same reference to the Hustler - and written much better. Sorry to all for having made the thread.

FlashPuppy
07-20-2006, 17:35
How about "The Punisher"? I believe he (the punisher) drinks quite a few bottles of Wild Turkey in that movie.

scratchline
07-20-2006, 20:41
Here's a really obscure one. In Under Siege 2, I think Steven Seagal makes an incendiary device out of a bottle of Old Taylor. Barely visible.

-Mike

smokinjoe
07-21-2006, 07:36
Saw the movie "Payday" a month or so back. 1973 movie starring Rip Torn as a two-timing, hard-drinking, fighting country wester singer. Wild Turkey (usually straight out of the bottle) was his drink of choice in the car, in the studio, while fighting, in bed...

As I recollect on how the bourbons/whiskeys have been portrayed in the movies, I can't help but think that Cinema has probably done as much as anything to cause a great deal of the general publics negative opinions of our favorite drink over the years.

Virus_Of_Life
07-21-2006, 08:16
Wild Turkey (usually straight out of the bottle) was his drink of choice in the car, in the studio, while fighting, in bed...

Mystic River: just before Sean Penn's character kills another character, Kevin Bacon I believe it is, he and a couple other guys get him trashed on Wild Turkey.

Gotta love that Turkey!

hollywood
07-21-2006, 10:45
I was watching "First Blood" (Stallone's 1st Rambo movie), again last night on TV. When the sheriff comes into the bar to apologize to Rambo's "mentor" he orders a shot of Wild Turkey.

TnSquire
07-24-2006, 07:55
Tom Hanks in Volunteers says "We have Johnny Walker, JIM BEAM and Jack Daniels....the gangs all here.

Edward_call_me_Ed
07-26-2006, 07:00
Tom Hanks in Volunteers says "We have Johnny Walker, JIM BEAM and Jack Daniels....the gangs all here.

Great. I haven't seen that movie in years. In that movie I recall Tom Hanks also has the best orgasm in Hollywood movie history with Meg Ryan's in When Harry met Sally coming a close second.
Ed

TnSquire
07-26-2006, 09:13
I saw Volunteers when I was in HS at the theatre. It is a stupid mindless 80s teen comedy and I love it! lol It is one of my favorite movies from that era. Hanks can also be seen taking a couple of pulls from a Jim Beam white bottle. The grimace he makes after the pull is telling.....:grin:

CrispyCritter
07-28-2006, 11:17
The "Father's Day" segment of Creepshow also features a bottle of Jim Beam white label that must be cursed (those who drink from it end up getting killed)...

BourbonJoe
07-28-2006, 12:38
The "Father's Day" segment of Creepshow also features a bottle of Jim Beam white label that must be cursed (those who drink from it end up getting killed)...

When in real life all you get is diarreah. :slappin:
Joe :usflag:

Virus_Of_Life
07-29-2006, 01:51
Watching The Shining right now, Jack walks up to the empty bar and asks for a bottle of bourbon, a small glass and some ice... The imaginary barkeep obliges, with a bottle of Jack Daniels!!! :shocked:

I suppose, knowing Stanley Kubrick there was some sort of reason for that.

Sijan
08-17-2006, 01:10
There was a bottle of Blanton's on Christopher Plummer's bar in "The Inside Man." He was an obscenely rich/powerful bank owner so maybe this is the movie?

Yes, I think this must be it! I remember two cops talking to an older man, and I bet it was Denzel and his partner. Thanks!

Sijan
08-21-2006, 00:29
Just saw a midnight screening of "Cast a Deadly Spell," a 1991 HBO movie that is like a combination of The Big Sleep & Chinatown with H.P. Lovecraft & Harry Potter. The opening text explains everything: "Los Angeles, 1948. Everyone uses magic." (But not our P.I. hero.) Stars Fred Ward, and Julianne Moore has a major role. Funny movie, not great, but entertaining.

Anyhow, there is frequent bourbon drinking in the film. Most of the time you can't see the bottles clearly, but when the private investigator protagonist has a drink at the police station with his cop friend, the bottle of I.W. Harper is very clearly visible for several seconds in numerous shots during their conversation.

contrarian
08-21-2006, 12:20
Deadwood, the HBO series, is loaded to the gills with whiskey. While many of the bottles have been unlabeled, several episodes have had bottles of "Old McBrayer Whiskey." A recent episode, "Amateur Night" had a bit more variety.

Early on, a pair of minor characters share a tall brown bottle of Old Weller that appears to be a current Antique 107 label cropped to remove the pictures and aging statement and with the word Antique rubbed out. I also spied Calamity Jane sleeping off a rough one with a bottle of Old McBrayer. Finally, in the gathering at the theatre, A drunk man climbs on stage with a current bottle of Bulleitt and attempts to kiss a woman singing "Jesus Loves Me". If this is product placement, it's the best kind.

Bamber
08-23-2006, 07:40
James Bond:
http://007.atomicmartinis.com/stats.htm

bluesbassdad
08-23-2006, 11:59
Slightly off-topic here, but a couple nights ago I was watching "Law and Order -- Criminal Intent" on TV. A murder victim was about to be autopsied.

Asked whether the victim had been drinking, the doctor replied, "I haven't done a tox screen yet, but he smelled like a Kentucky bourbon barrel."

I was not pleased by that reference. I can only imagine how someone in the industry might feel.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Bamber
08-24-2006, 02:06
Maybe he just smelled really good :)

darkluna
08-27-2006, 13:30
There's a scene in The Big Sleep where Humphrey Bogart's character, Philip Marlowe flirts with a bookstore clerk. It starts to rain while he's waiting for his mark and he tells the clerk "It just happens I got a bottle of pretty good rye in my pocket -- I'd a lot rather get wet in here." She responds "Well....it looks like we're closed for the rest of the afternoon".

In an earlier scene in a library, he also tosses out "I collect bottles and blondes too" to the clerk who says "You don't look like a man who would be interested in 1st editions".

Old film noirs are full of hard-boiled guys downing high-balls like they were full of iced-tea.

Classic stuff!

gothbat
09-28-2006, 18:45
I doubt anyone has seen it but I was just watching Aftermath and noticed a bottle of Jim Beam White Label, half empty and smeared with blood, in the scene where the mortician steals the heart of the female lead in the movie (literally :)). Surprising for a Spanish movie.

CrispyCritter
09-28-2006, 21:21
I remember, many years ago, seeing an old-school cartoon (I think it was Woody Woodpecker) where some bottles of hooch were on a shelf - one of them was "Four Noses."

Vange
10-12-2006, 10:36
Last night I watching this movie called "Inside Man" with Clive Owen, Jodie Foster, and Denzel Washington.

Near the end when Denzel and his partner confront the bank CEO, he asks if they want anything. They decline and he pours himself a scotch from his drink cart/table from his decanter. Next to the decanter is a bottle of Blanton's!! I had to rewind and check it out again, but it's very obvious. My wife thought I was nuts when I told her I had to post it here. It was hard to tell which one exactly, but possibly it was the silver label.

Vange
10-12-2006, 11:47
Also worth mentioning is that the scene made me thirsty and I reached for a snifter of Eagle Rare of the BTAC. Mmmmm good.

stoopsie
10-12-2006, 12:09
On the NCIS episode last on 10/10, "Faking It" at the very end, the star Jethro Gibbs (Mark Harmon) reaches into the drawer on his desk to pull out a cassette player and you can catch a glimpse of a bottle mostly hidden in the drawer next to it. After the show was over, I begin rewind my TIVO to that spot and as I am doing it my wife says" you just have to find out what that bottle is in the drawer don't you?" After saying yes, while I am still rewinding it my wife says "don't bother it is Ten High". I continue to rewind and try to pause it at the right spot I found out 3 things:

1. I just LOVE my TIVO for things just like this

2. Not agreeing immediately with my wife and stopping the rewind could lead to chilly reception when I went to bed later. When...

3. She is exactly correct. Even though you can only read the "N" and the "GH" clearly on the Ten High bottle label even when pausing at the millisecond it is revealed on the TV show.

Howie

cowdery
10-12-2006, 17:02
The message here seems to be that Mrs. Howie is a definite keeper.

And NCIS investigators don't get paid very well.

wadewood
04-11-2007, 19:52
I saw 'Grindhouse' the other night. This is a double feature. The first film is from Robert Rodriguez, Planet Terror. At one point they order shots of Wild Turkey, but you don't see them drinking it.

The second film is from Quentin Tarantino, Death Proof. Kurt Russell's character gets hurt and uses Four Roses Black Label to kill the pain and sterilize the injury. I was asking myself why FR Black Label? I think the film takes place in current time because modern cell phones are used.

On side note, I am a huge Tarantino fan but was disappointed in Death Proof. Planet Terror was pretty good.

doubleblank
04-11-2007, 20:02
Actually Wade, I think it was Four Roses Yellow Label. And since that scene takes place in Tennessee, FRYL might be a possibility. I thought a product placement was unlikely since it is in such limited distribution. I too couldn't figure out the clear presentation of FRYL.....but maybe he bought it across the border in KY.

Randy

ILLfarmboy
04-11-2007, 20:31
I think a bottle of wild Turkey makes an appearance in the film Junior Bonner. In Hud Paul Newman gets trashed on Jack and unsuccessfully tries to 'seduce' the house keeper then has a blow-out fight with his Dad.

TNbourbon
04-11-2007, 20:39
...since that scene takes place in Tennessee, FRYL might be a possibility...

I can only speak to Middle Tennessee, but there had never been any Four Roses available here other than the latest blended whiskey, which left some time ago.
I believe I've read that Four Roses distributed its bourbon domestically only ever in Kentucky and Southern Indiana so its employees wouldn't have to buy something else.

CrispyCritter
04-11-2007, 22:22
The second film is from Quentin Tarantino, Death Proof. Kurt Russell's character gets hurt and uses Four Roses Black Label to kill the pain and sterilize the injury. I was asking myself why FR Black Label? I think the film takes place in current time because modern cell phones are used.

Tarantino tends to do strange things to time. For instance, in Pulp Fiction you will see a box of Fruit Brute cereal, which has been out of production since 1983 - but overall, the movie is very '90s.

wadewood
04-11-2007, 22:35
Actually Wade, I think it was Four Roses Yellow Label. And since that scene takes place in Tennessee, FRYL might be a possibility. I thought a product placement was unlikely since it is in such limited distribution. I too couldn't figure out the clear presentation of FRYL.....but maybe he bought it across the border in KY.

Randy

Damn. I might have to go see it again just to see if my mind is playing tricks on me because I was sure it was the Four Roses Black Label.

doubleblank
04-12-2007, 05:45
Hey Wade.....its not worth watching again just for that.:lol:

I am red and green color blind.......but I'm pretty sure the bottle wasn't black.

fog
05-04-2007, 13:05
A boy in Back to the Future 2 pours a small bottle of Early Times into the bowl of fruit punch during a prom; I did not think that bourbon mixed well with fruit drinks.

Jazzhead
05-05-2007, 08:55
Speaking of Four Roses Yellow Label, it appears prominently in a barroom scene in last year's Rocky Balboa. And, yes, it's pure fiction - Four Roses isn't sold in Philly.

SlowEddy
05-08-2007, 07:41
I was watching "The Hustler" the other night. During the scene where Fast Eddie (Paul Newman) is playing "Minnesota Fats" (Jackie Gleeson) they take a break and order for drinks. Fast Eddie requested J.T.S. Brown...a brand I had tried just recently - too weak for my liking but not terrible. I am wondering if there are other references to bourbons in the movies that may come to mind?

I haven't read all of the replies, but two movies come to mind. The first one is Terms Of Endearment when Aurora (Shirely MacLaine) finally goes out to dinner with Garrett (Jack Nicholson) and orders Wild Turkey, as Nicholson points out she needs it "To kill the bug up your a--."

The other one is Ground Hog Day. Bill Murray is fed up with being stuck in the small town and doesn't want a complicated drink so when the bartender asks what he wants he directly says, "Jim Beam, ice, water."

As a bonus, the other movie is The Graduate. Ben's favorite drink is Bourbon, although he doesn't name a brand. Mr. Robinson comes home late from the party to find Ben "holding down the fort" with Mrs. Robinson upstairs. Mr. Robinson offers Ben a nightcap. Later, when Ben takes Elaine out for dinner, a dissaproving Mrs. Robinson stews on the sofa while Mr. Robinson happily greets Ben but forgetfully asks, "Is Scotch still your drink?" Ben quickly corrects him and nervously says, "Bourbon."

Vange
05-08-2007, 08:00
I know this is probably an awful use of bourbon in a movie that I just cant shake from my head. It always will longer in my noodle. Freddie Krueger from the horrible nightmare on Elm Street part 3 (how many did they make????)

Freddy Krueger: I said, "Where's the (*&$#(@! bourbon?"
[decapitates mom]
Freddy Krueger: You should listen to your mother.
Elaine Parker: God damn it, Kristen, you ruin everything! Every time I bring a man home you spoil it! You know what your shrink says? You're just trying to get a little attention!

luv2hunt
05-08-2007, 10:10
Spider Man 3--with some "heated" conversation, a bottle of Makers Mark gets thrown into the fire place!! Big burst of flames!! Oh....the drama!

Dawn

SlowEddy
05-08-2007, 18:27
On a related note, see: The Top 10 Movies To Drink Bourbon To...

http://bluekitchen.net/top10bourbonmovies.html

I have to add two of my own favorites. One is the first Flight Of The Phoenix. This is the ultimate bourbon movie. You must watch it at night. Jimmy Stewart, Ernest Borgnine, and many others in this great movie about surviving in the desert and trying to rebuild their crashed plane. One of the main characters, a flight engineer, is dying for drink, but of course, there is none.

The other movie is The Sting. Robert Redford's character as well as Paul Newman's both drink. And they keep changing their booze. When Paul Newman is playing cards with Doyle, he's drinking 'cut' gin. Then later at the horse betting parlor it looks like he's drinking bourbon. But Redford is said to drink Scotch. Nonetheless, a great bourbon movie.

barturtle
05-08-2007, 20:47
Spider Man 3--with some "heated" conversation, a bottle of Makers Mark gets thrown into the fire place!! Big burst of flames!! Oh....the drama!

Dawn

I believe I spotted a bottle of Blanton's on the back bar of the jazz club.

lar03
05-09-2007, 03:30
HBO's Deadwood was already mentioned, but the author of the post failed to mention Basil Hayden's, which was mentioned by name several times in several episodes. I am convinced that this was nothing more than shameless product placement, since as near as I can tell, Basil Hayden's was not in production when the show takes place. Can anyone help me out here?

Also thought I would mention Bad Santa. Billy Bob's character is never far from a bottle of OGD in this movie.

I also seem to remember Ira Hayes drinking bourbon in Flags of Our Fathers, but I would have to go back and double check.

luv2hunt
05-09-2007, 12:12
I believe I spotted a bottle of Blanton's on the back bar of the jazz club.

Oh yeah.....I saw that too!

cowdery
05-10-2007, 17:25
Basil Hayden's was not in production during the years when Deadwood was set, and would not be until about 100 years later. However, R. B. Hayden may, at that time, have been in production with Old Grand-Dad, which was named in tribute to his grandfather, Basil, although Basil's name was not used nor generally known.

My theory is that they wanted to use Old Crow, which would have been one of the few bourbons in that era known by a brand name, but when they talked to Beam about it, Beam had no interest in promoting Crow and suggested Basil Hayden instead.

SlowEddy
05-15-2007, 17:34
I wonder what John Wayne used to drink in the movies. I'll bet it was some good Kentucky bourbon. I can't imagine the Duke saying, "Bartender, give me a fuzzy navel---and leave the blender!"

ILLfarmboy
05-15-2007, 18:35
I think, either from reading a biography or watching many of the biographies of John Wayne, his real life spirit of choice was brandy, or so went the claim. A bit of a disappointment. I figured him to be a rye man, actually. In any case I can't see Marion Michael Morrison (the ""Duke") in real life walking into a bar and ordering a froo froo cocktail.

Edward_call_me_Ed
05-16-2007, 03:14
I saw the Maker's and was pretty sure that was a Blanton's too. There are a lot of bottles in that movie. I want to see it again before I try a positive ID on any of them.

Of couse, Harry was drinking what looked like a martini. No news on whether it was gin or vodka.

Ed

HighTower
05-19-2007, 17:40
Just watched a movie called "Inside Man" - Denzel Washington, Clive Owen, Jodie Foster. Towards the end the bank owner offers them a drink off a cart in his office, and pours from a decanter. also sitting on the cart is a bottle of Blanton's. You can see that horse a mile away :)
Not a bad movie, either.

Scott

ILLfarmboy
05-28-2007, 06:56
Spotting bottles In movies and on TV has become sort of an armchair sport.

The Discovery Chanel used to have a show called Wild West Tech hosted by Keith Carradine, who played Bill Hickok on HBO's Deadwood. IIRC The show debuted shortly after the first season of Deadwood. In at least one installment they used a bottle of Old Weller Antique.

Not long ago I wached The Petrified Forest (1936) staring Bette Davis and Leslie Howard. Bogart plays a brooding gangster caught, along with several of his underlings, between a rock and a hard place, holed up in a restaurant/bar/gas station during a dust storm. Holding pretty much the rest of the cast hostage, he lets them drink, talk and even eat. It is here that most of the movie takes place. Leslie Howard's character drinks rye. The bottle, shaped somewhat like a large flask is made of dark glass and has a paper label. Despite my best efforts at pausing the DVD (rented from Blockbuster On-line) at various times I could not make out the label. If someone who is familiar with bottle trade dress from this era happens to watch this movie keep yer eye out. Heck, it may not even be a real whiskey bottle at all.

NickAtMartinis
06-06-2007, 17:05
The movie, "In the Heat of the Night," the sheriff is drinking some bourbon. Couldn't make out the bottle but it was corked.

OscarV
09-27-2007, 01:45
I just saw "Death Proof". Quentin Tarrintino's flick of the "Grindhouse" double feature.
One scene had a group of people in a bar and they called for six shots of Wild Turkey. The bartender poured the shots and slammed the bottle on the bar and they got a full close up of the label.
Product placement?
Then later, after Stuntman Mike gets shot he pulls a bottle of Four Roses out of the glove box of his car and swings some down and pours some on his gun shot wound.

Not bourbon, but there was a funny scene where the bartender gives the girls a free shot, the color is green and they have trouble gulping it down.
One of the girls asks what was that?
The bartender hold up a bottle containing the green spirit and says, "Chartreuse! The liquor so good they named a color after it!"

gothbat
09-27-2007, 05:06
"Chartreuse! The liquor so good they named a color after it!"

I'll have to remember that one. :lol:

Phischy
09-27-2007, 11:03
Chinatown hasn't been mentioned, but in the very beginning of the movie Jack Nicohlson pulls out a bottle of (Old Crow) bourbon and gives a few snorts to the guy who's wife is cheating on him.

barturtle
09-27-2007, 12:10
Chinatown hasn't been mentioned, but in the very beginning of the movie Jack Nicohlson pulls out a bottle of (Old Crow) bourbon and gives a few snorts to the guy who's wife is cheating on him.

He drinks Jim Beam White in Easy Rider

gothbat
09-29-2007, 21:09
Here's an obscure one; in the movie This Stuff'll Kill Ya (anyone seen it?) Preacher Roscoe Boone flies into a rage while in a local liquor store when he finds that they are stocking legal whiskey (which is cutting into this moonshine business) and flies into a rage smashing a tax stripped 1.75 litre bottle of Old Charter!

Vange
09-30-2007, 09:01
I am not 100% but in the beginning of the movie Shawshank Redemption when Andy is waiting outside of the place where his wife is cheating on him he takes a swig of a pint of Old Fitzgerald. Can anyone confirm this?

ACDetroit
09-30-2007, 18:38
In the movie "Out of Sight" G. Clooney and J Lo meet up in a bar and she orders a bourbon with a water back. I knew there was a reason I liked her.

The house they break into is in Oakland County, here in Michigan and also a good friend of mines "Step Dad's House". I've never been there but he's a straight laced CPA and not a very goog liar.

HipFlask
09-30-2007, 19:16
I beleive in the Ocean's (11 and 13) movies George Clooney's character orders and drinks Bourbon WT101 I beleive. Also TV movies "Stone Cold" Tom Selleck's character is seen drinking Bourbon.

OscarV
10-01-2007, 06:21
In the movie "Out of Sight" G. Clooney and J Lo meet up in a bar and she orders a bourbon with a water back. I knew there was a reason I liked her.

The house they break into is in Oakland County, here in Michigan and also a good friend of mines "Step Dad's House". I've never been there but he's a straight laced CPA and not a very goog liar.

Of all the Elmore Leonard books that have been made into movies, "Out Of Sight" is the best adaptation.
In all his books the cool people drink bourbon or pack a Sig Sauer, in "Out Of Sight" Karen Sisco(J-Lo) does both.

Jeeper
10-01-2007, 08:06
I was watching Slingblade last night for the umpteenth time and I believe I spotted a bottle of Wild Turkey on the end table when Doyle loses it and throws everyone out of the house.

cowdery
10-01-2007, 10:14
I was just scanning this thread and no one mentioned this one: Kevin Costner's character in "Bull Durham" gets drunk on Jim Beam. That one, I know for a fact, was a paid product placement.

gblick
10-01-2007, 13:53
Over this past weekend, they aired an episode of Space Ghost featuring Willie Nelson and Old Kentuky Shark, and I just found a video of it online:

http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=20655

Seemed like it might be somewhat relevant to this thread.

OscarV
10-01-2007, 14:26
Over this past weekend, they aired an episode of Space Ghost featuring Willie Nelson and Old Kentuky Shark, and I just found a video of it online:

http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=20655

Seemed like it might be somewhat relevant to this thread.

Hhmmm,.... Willie Nelson on Space Ghost,.... yeah they go together.
You know Joel Hodgson from Mystery Science Theater 3000 did some work on Space Ghost,... Joel did have 'dem sleepy eyes.

craigthom
10-03-2007, 14:18
Crack a window, will ya?

mozilla
10-03-2007, 14:53
Thought I saw a bottle of Hill & Hill on Three's Company. I know it's not a movie, but I figured that it's close. The episode when Jack and the girls are thinking of moving to a beach house. The bottle shows up in the kitchen when Larry and Mr. F are crying in their Bourbon.

ILLfarmboy
10-05-2007, 18:34
In the John Milius film Red Dawn when the boys come down from the mountains to 'get some news' Ben Johnson's character gives them a bottle of JB white to help keep 'em warm.

Rughi
10-06-2007, 21:30
In the John Milius film Red Dawn when the boys come down from the mountains to 'get some news' Ben Johnson's character gives them a bottle of JB white to help keep 'em warm.

I love Red Dawn.

The Russians take over the country, and it's up to the _high school football team_ to retake the U S of A. If I remember correctly, the Russkies diabolically used the NRA membership rolls to seize all the weapons that could have armed the citizen militias that the 2nd Amendment sought to enable.

Wolverines!

craigthom
10-06-2007, 21:44
They didn't take over the country. It was just that part of it.

ILLfarmboy
10-07-2007, 00:16
I love Red Dawn.

The Russians take over the country, and it's up to the _high school football team_ to retake the U S of A. If I remember correctly, the Russkies diabolically used the NRA membership rolls to seize all the weapons that could have armed the citizen militias that the 2nd Amendment sought to enable.

Wolverines!

Actually they used government records. Form 4473 must be filled out every time someone buys a firearm from a gun dealer (someone with a FFL) Federal firearm license. From Wikipedia:
The Form 4473 contains the name, address, driver's license (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver%27s_license) or identification number, National Instant Criminal Background Check System (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Instant_Criminal_Background_Check_System) (NICS) background check transaction number, serial number and model of the firearm, and a short federal affidavit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affidavit) stating that the purchaser is eligible to purchase firearms under federal law. Lying on this form is a felony and can be punished by up to five years in prison in addition to fines, even if the transaction is simply denied by the NICS.
The dealer must keep the Form 4473 for twenty years and all records are subject to inspection by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bureau_of_Alcohol%2C_Tobacco%2C_Firearms_and_Explo sives). The dealer also records all information from the form 4473 into his bound-book. A dealer must keep this log the entire time he is in business and is required to surrender the log to the ATF upon retirement from the firearms business. The ATF is allowed to request a copy of the 4473 from the dealer during the course of a criminal investigation.

It was kind of amazing John Milius, who is a member of the Board of Directors of The National Rifle Association and an avid defender of the Second Amendment, managed to get that scene past the Hollywood PC censors. In fact its kind of amazing the movie got made at all. Its just too bad he didn't have the boys drinking something beter than Jim Beam White.

I bet if "bloody" Sam Peckinpah had produced the movie he would have had them drinking WT 101. And they probably wouldn't have had to look too far for a bottle to use as a prop.:grin:

ThomasH
10-07-2007, 18:02
In "The Guardian" starring Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher, Kevin Costners Character pours a shot from a bottle of WT 101!

Thomas

CrispyCritter
10-13-2007, 20:57
Another thing I found amusing in Red Dawn was how the Cuban officer was having second thoughts because of his previous experience, where he had always been fighting on the side of the insurgents (in his words, "Siempre estaba al lado de los insurgentes.").

This probably belongs in the politics forum, but I've always felt that communism and fascism are mirror images - in spite of the different rhetoric, the end result for us regular folks is the same under either system.

TBoner
10-29-2007, 20:38
In Dead Man Walking, Sean Penn's character describes the first time his dad bought him some whiskey. He was a young boy, and his dad took him to the store and told him to pick something from behind the counter. He pointed at a bottle and said, "I want the one with the pretty Turkey on it."

Good choice.

Good movie, if you can set aside politics.

macon
10-30-2007, 05:34
I went to see Rendition over the weekend, and in one scene the leader of a small nation brings out a bottle of Evan Williams Black.

tsh3406
10-30-2007, 09:16
Has anyone mentioned "Silverado"? Good western in my opinion. Towards the end in a saloon Stella and Paden are drinking bourbon, I'm positive, and toasting to "the good stuff". Always makes me thirsty.

ILLfarmboy
10-30-2007, 19:04
Has anyone mentioned "Silverado"? ...

There is also a scene in which the bartender (the really short woman) decants "whiskey" from a barrel into bottles and cuts them with water, claiming the straight stuff "would raise a blood blister on boot leather".

One of the few westerns depicting whiskey being served this way; decanted from the barrel, the way it would have been in real life.

Sycamore Tree
10-31-2007, 15:42
In Platoon, Barnes is seen swiggin from a bottle of Jack Black. Not bourbon but close enuff.

Barrel_Proof
10-31-2007, 20:49
In Platoon, Barnes is seen swiggin from a bottle of Jack Black. Not bourbon but close enuff.

Not bourbon; not close. :cool:

Virus_Of_Life
10-31-2007, 20:50
Not bourbon; not close. :cool:

What he said! :lol:

Xibalba
11-08-2007, 07:41
I noticed a few people mentioned Maker's Mark in the Spider Man movies. I have a bit of inside information about that... I know Sam Raimi's nephew, and he told me that Sam is a huge Maker's Mark fan, and started putting it in his movies whenever he gets the chance. Maker's Mark was so thrilled, they gave him a lifetime supply of the stuff. Apparently, he's got a whole basement filled with bottles that he gives to all of his friends and family.

Xibalba
11-08-2007, 07:45
Also: how did no one mention any Clint Eastwood movies???
(my apologies if I missed it)

ILLfarmboy
11-08-2007, 09:57
As many times as I have seen Eastwood drink on screen I can't think of a single instance where he drank a specific brand. However, in Coogan's Bluff He has a fight in a bar and you can see a poster advertisement for
I W Harper.

LarryG
11-08-2007, 10:11
As many times as I have seen Eastwood drink on screen I can't think of a single instance where he drank a specific brand.I can, but have yet to come up with the title. I have a distinct memory of an Eastwood movie in which he walks into a bar, sits down, and orders Wild Turkey. I think there may even be one or two other variations of this scene in the same movie, suggesting a character who drinks a lot or may even be an alcoholic.

Possibly it's from In The Line Of Fire, or Absolute Power. But it really could be from almost anything, and it's been driving me nuts ever since I first saw this thread about two weeks ago.

Larry

NickAtMartinis
11-08-2007, 13:56
I saw this on Wikipedia. Interesting, though, it's television:

"George T. Stagg made an appearance in the PBS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PBS) television series Mathnet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathnet). In the episode titled "The One Where Everyone Chips in for a Present" character Dr. Doug Fowler (commonly referred to as Dr. Dong (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Dr._Dong&action=edit) on the show) is given a bottle of George T. Stagg (as well as two fancy whiskey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey) glasses and a wine refrigerator) by his common-law wife (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common-law_wife) Megan Westcott (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Megan_Westcott&action=edit) along with their friends Kiyomi, Josh, Anne, Megan, Kevin, Kendra, Mike O., Rena, Erin, Deirdre, Bill, Angela, Maneesh and Lisa all chipping in what they could."

Xibalba
11-08-2007, 16:00
As many times as I have seen Eastwood drink on screen I can't think of a single instance where he drank a specific brand.

He orders a Wild Turkey in The Eiger Sanction.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eiger_Sanction_%28film%29)

ILLfarmboy
11-18-2007, 08:47
On a recent episode of the TV show How I met Your mother Marshall is being wined and dined by a law firm executive in an attempt to get him to take a job at the firm. At the end of the meal they are having whiskey or perhaps brandy and cigars. There are two perhaps three small 375mil sized bottles on the table. They look like Buffalo Trace Experimental bottles. Unfortunately the wife deleted the program from the DVR before I could ask her not to. Did anyone else see this?

TBoner
11-18-2007, 11:48
Brad,

I noted the same thing, but the program is long gone from the TiVo. It'll come on in reruns, perhaps sooner rather than later given the writers' strike.

barturtle
11-18-2007, 12:37
I watched it on the website (you can apparently watch the last 4 episodes online-but there are commercials) I couldn't place the bottles positively.

polyamnesia
11-23-2007, 11:18
has anyone mentioned Gene Wilder's character--the Cisco Kid--in Mel Brooks insane movie, BLAZING SADDLES? i took a photo of him glugging a bottle of something from Kentucky...maybe someone can identify the label.

i'll try to upload it today.

wintersway
11-23-2007, 13:33
Ingmar Bergman's Scenes From A Marriage. Mairanne's estranged husband requests a whiskey and he gets a pour from an Old Grand-Dad bottle.

barturtle
11-23-2007, 18:32
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad Santa-Old Grand Dad
Angelina Jolie- Gone in 60 Seconds-Jack Daniels

NeoTexan
11-23-2007, 18:51
Pardon me if I am wrong, but I searched the thread and did not see Down Periscope. Jim Beam is added to the fuel mixture for that little extra boost.

jbutler
11-23-2007, 19:46
Speaking of Four Roses Yellow Label, it appears prominently in a barroom scene in last year's Rocky Balboa. And, yes, it's pure fiction - Four Roses isn't sold in Philly.

And in the original Rocky as well. His scumbag brother in law takes a snort off a pint of it while he and Rocky are having a heated discussion. The scene is in the meat locker, and we all know what Sly was doing in there. :lol:

gr8erdane
11-24-2007, 23:41
Good thing they didn't add Stagg or they'd have passed the torpedo to the target ship!

I'm embarrassed that I didn't get the name but the other day while channel surfing I came across a TV rerun for one of the current forensic shows where two characters were talking, one sitting at a table with a good look at the back of a WT 101 bottle. He took a drink and the other guy came over and corked the bottle. No front lable with the name but there's no mistaking the bird on the back.

HipFlask
11-25-2007, 00:26
I just watched season one of Heros and in one of the episodes is a good shot of a Maker's Mark bottle. It's funny how often I see whiskey in movies or TV since I have been looking for it.

Cornman
11-27-2007, 20:08
One of my favorite movies: Alfred Hichcock's 'North by Northwest' (1959).

In the initial setup, bourbon is not only shown, but also plays an important role as part of the means to try to kill the Roger Thornhill character (Cary Grant). Not a very flattering use for bourbon of course, but it is all very classy, trust me.

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/mptv/1073/Mptv/1073/5667-0005.jpg.html?path=gallery&path_key=0053125

Can anybody NTB? (Name that Bourbon?). it's about to be grabbed by Martin Landau.

TNbourbon
11-27-2007, 20:28
...Can anybody NTB? (Name that Bourbon?). it's about to be grabbed by Martin Landau.

Looks, to me, most like an I.W. Harper label. To its left is either Old Overholt rye, or Century Bonded bourbon.

gr8erdane
11-28-2007, 20:37
And it looks to me like he's showing the good sense to pass by the bottle of Smirnoff's Vodka.

polyamnesia
12-18-2007, 19:49
did i mention gene wilder in mel brooks' Blazing Saddles?

here's a pic...what bottle could this be?:grin:

OscarV
12-18-2007, 22:42
Featured in the movie The Hot One are Virginia Madsen, Jennifer Connelly and I.W.Harper.

smokinjoe
12-19-2007, 09:16
And in the original Rocky as well. His scumbag brother in law takes a snort off a pint of it while he and Rocky are having a heated discussion. The scene is in the meat locker, and we all know what Sly was doing in there. :lol:

Choking the Chickens? :blush: :grin:

JOE

ACDetroit
12-20-2007, 15:12
Choking the Chickens? :blush: :grin:

JOE

No! Beating the Meat!! :slappin:

jburlowski
12-21-2007, 12:25
Or "Tickling his Elmo".

closetbourbonlvr
12-21-2007, 12:37
Nobody has mentioned that Ky's own Ashley Judd in the movie Twisted orders a Knob Creek from the bar.

Chaz7
12-22-2007, 12:40
Featured in the movie The Hot One are Virginia Madsen, Jennifer Connelly and I.W.Harper.

The movie was The Hot Spot; Jennifer Connelly was (and is) the Hot One.

OscarV
12-23-2007, 11:17
Thanks for the assist Chaz7

craigthom
12-31-2007, 11:38
It wasn't bourbon and it wasn't a movie, but I was just watching an episode of the Addams Family my TiVo recorded as a suggestion, and, when a visitor said, "I need a drink", Thing helpfully popped up with a pint bottle.

I couldn't read all the details, but it said
8-STAR
HEMLOCK
WHISKEY
BOTTLED IN BOND
XX PROOF
HEMLOCK DISTILLERIES

I am guessing at the last line because it is fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure.

The proof I think was 90, but it was definitely two digits, which is why I had to go back and freeze frame it. 90 proof for a bottled in bond whiskey! What a horrible error!

squire
01-03-2008, 16:53
If one is drinking hemlock the proof don't matter.

Squire

gothbat
01-07-2008, 14:49
Several bottles of JB:Black are seen at the bar that R obtains Ria at in Natural City.

doubleblank
01-07-2008, 15:56
In a really bad crime-comedy movie called "The Big Bounce", stars Morgan Freeman and Owen Wilson are playing dominoes and drinking bourbon. WT gets several clear shots of the front label. Sad thing is, Willie Nelson is playing dominoes with them and he didn't get the whiskey named for him in the movie!

Probably doesn't matter as I don't think many people went to this movie.

Randy

gothbat
01-07-2008, 17:12
I watched The House on the Edge of the Park (or, more properly, La Casa Sperduta Nel Parco) this weekend and even after stepping through this one scene I still can't figure out what Alex has in his hand. Looks like it's Evan Williams black or Jack Daniels but at the same time neither....

ILLfarmboy
01-07-2008, 17:32
I watched The House on the Edge of the Park (or, more properly, La Casa Sperduta Nel Parco) this weekend and even after stepping through this one scene I still can't figure out what Alex has in his hand. Looks like it's Evan Williams black or Jack Daniels but at the same time neither....

A made up brand?

One thing that has always perplexed me is the prevalence of "fake or made up brands of consumer products depicted both in movies and television. Even to the point where a character will walk into a bar and order "beer". OK, someone might order a gin and tonic or even a bourbon and Coke and not "call the brand", but come on.

gothbat
01-07-2008, 17:32
I'm on a roll here; in Hated: GG Allin and the Murder Junkies we not only see GG drinking Jim Beam White but we also see that he has a (real) tattoo of the bottle on him! :) According to the narrator it was his favorite. GG was buried with a bottle of Jim Beam in his hand but it was probably empty because people kept taking it out of his hands and drinking from it during the wake. This wasn't in the documentary but there is a tape of it floating around out there I believe.

gothbat
01-07-2008, 17:36
A made up brand?

Possibly, they never give you a good look at the bottle and the only reference to it that is made is when Lisa says "I think that deserves a drink." (or something to that effect...) They show another bottle in another scene who's name you can clearly see but it definitely wasn't bourbon, maybe I'll check later to see if that was a real brand but I just put the LD away.

edit: Alright, I kept thinking about it so I got it back out. The other bottle, who's label you can clearly see, is green glass and says "Martini". It's not Martini & Rossi, just "Martini". Couldn't find anything on google; they're probably both fake.

pepcycle
01-08-2008, 09:00
I recently watched "High Crimes" with Ashley Judd and Morgan Freeman. Freeman falls off the wagon in a motel room with two hookers and a witness he's trying to get info from. They drink bourbon, but I can't tell what it is.
I didn't watch from the set with the DVR. Anyone know what it was?

Barrel_Proof
01-08-2008, 16:56
Freeman falls off the wagon in a motel room with two hookers and a witness he's trying to get info from. They drink bourbon, but I can't tell what it is.

If they weren't drinking Old Tub, they should have been!

NickAtMartinis
01-08-2008, 16:59
I was watching a Bio on Evel Knievel and he would do a shot of Wild Turkey before each jump. Not quite the movies but, heck we all saw him on television.

gothbat
01-12-2008, 22:21
I know it's not bourbon but I spy a bottle of Four Roses Blended in Zombie Holocaust (aka Dr. Butcher M.D.) during the scene where Lori and Dr. Chandler discuss the expedition to Kito.

PAspirit1
01-25-2008, 13:10
I caught the tail end of Funny Farm with Chevy chase the other day. By the end he is really derailing and drinking Dickel strait from the bottle. Is that what they mean by medicinal purposes?

I watched about 20 minutes of Factotum and I saw Old Fitzgerald twice and an order for two bottles of Evan Williams. There might be a lot of whiskey in that one.

whiskeyhatch
02-14-2008, 14:43
'There Will Be Blood.' Saw this one yesterday and wow! Another brilliant work by P. T. Anderson. Daniel Day-Lewis did an absolutely amazing job. I think that this film may have broken the mold of modern day cinema. It's like standing before a Picasso, Miro or a Rothko. It's challenging. It excersises the emotions. It's like Kafka on screen. I wish that I had not read anything about it before I saw it because it would have had even more of an impact. Therefore, I won't say anything else other than: there was a lot of bourbon consumed in this movie!

OscarV
02-14-2008, 17:02
'There Will Be Blood.' Saw this one yesterday and wow! Another brilliant work by P. T. Anderson. Daniel Day-Lewis did an absolutely amazing job. I think that this film may have broken the mold of modern day cinema. It's like standing before a Picasso, Miro or a Rothko. It's challenging. It excersises the emotions. It's like Kafka on screen. I wish that I had not read anything about it before I saw it because it would have had even more of an impact. Therefore, I won't say anything else other than: there was a lot of bourbon consumed in this movie!

I saw the trailer for There Will Be Blood when we saw No Country For Old Men (which was great) and I can't wait to see it.
I did hear however that Upton Sinclair's story may be hard to recognize.

whiskeyhatch
02-15-2008, 05:09
I haven't read it but I understand that Anderson's movie is a very loose adaptation of Oil!. I believe that the book was more of an inspiration. (Perhaps a testament to Anderson's writing abilities.) Yeah, 'No Country for Old Men' is next on my list. I'm looking forward to that one.

OscarV
02-15-2008, 10:30
I have not read the book but in No Country For Old Men the psyco-killer is maybe a ghost or some sort of super natural being. In the movie there is only one scene where this idea is possible.
Don't worry I have not ruined it for you.

ACDetroit
02-15-2008, 14:25
There is a movie on Encore right now about Black Fraternities and Steppin groups. The movie is call STOMP THE YARD near the end in the backround you can see a Makers Mark bottle.

Tony

TNbourbon
02-17-2008, 18:04
Has anyone been able to make out what the bourbon is in Casablanca, in the scene when Rick is meeting Ferrrari in the marketplace? I'm watching it again now, and it looks like the last part might say "Hill", but that's impressionistic more then literal.

razerburnt
02-20-2008, 16:16
Not a movie but I was watching Law and Order, the original, tonite and Briscoe and Green were at a writers house to ask him questions. The guy offered them a drink, gin...scotch...vodka then said he was having a bourbon and grabbed a bottle of Makers Mark.

Randy

ILLfarmboy
03-24-2008, 06:37
In the 1971 cult classic Two Lane Blacktop, Warren Oats, who's character is known only as GTO, can be seen filling a large flask with Jack. The bottle isn't displayed prominently and if your eyes aren't glued to the screen you'll miss it. The scene is made more memorable by the fact he gets pretty trashed and after sleeping it off walks into a diner and orders an Alka-Selzer and a hamburger.

dcb
03-24-2008, 08:03
maybe it's been mentioned already but we watched the Big Lebowski for the hundredth time the other night and I think I spotted a Wild Turkey in Maude's "bar". Looked like a Glenmorangie tube in the back as well, but the DVD image is quite grainy so hard to be sure of either.

TNbourbon
03-25-2008, 18:40
I bought the now-near-defunct HD-DVD during last fall's Wal-Mart $99 sale, figuring, at worst, I'd get a decent upgrade from my previous low-cost player. Now, I'm cherry-picking the remains of HD-DVD discs while they disappear. Am watching "Top Gun" ($14.95 at Target) right now.
This has nothing to do with bourbon, except that I'm drinking some (Parker's HC/122.6 proof) -- and I don't know how anyone else feels about it -- but when that opening scene comes on and they're playing "Danger Zone" while that aircraft carrier deck crew gets planes aboard, it gives me chills every times. Because they're out there really doing it, all the time.
God bless 'em!:toast:

By the way, I have the last flight formation of the F-14 before moth-balling saved to disk somewhere. What an awesome airplane!

DoubleT
03-30-2008, 01:20
Goldeneye...what seems to be Bond's first closed door meeting with the new "M",

M - “Would you care for a drink?”
Bond replies, “Thank you. Your predecessor kept some Cognac in the top drawer of—”
M interjects, “I prefer bourbon.

gothbat
04-27-2008, 12:48
In George A. Romero's Diary of the Dead the professor takes bottle of Maker's Mark into the panic room. During the first 1/2 of the movie he drinks from a flask several times and mentions bourbon.

Thesh
04-27-2008, 13:32
Not bourbon... Or a movie... In the show "New Amsterdam" the guy asks for a bottle of their best single malt and is brought a bottle of Johnnie Walker green.

ILLfarmboy
04-27-2008, 13:50
Not bourbon... Or a movie... In the show "New Amsterdam" the guy asks for a bottle of their best single malt and is brought a bottle of Johnnie Walker green.

I suppose it would have sounded cumbersome to say: Bring me your best bottle of vatted, all-malt blend.

gothbat
04-30-2008, 20:26
Not a movie and not a bourbon but it's related, Mr Talbot gets a pour of George Dickel on the house after loosing his job as prison executioner in the first episode of HBO's Tales From the Crypt, The Man Who Was Death.

trumpstylz
05-14-2008, 03:26
Not sure if it has already been posted, but Billy Bob Thorton's drink of choice is a shot of old grand dad in the movie Bad Santa. The movie is absolutely hysterical (but very "tasteless"). If any of you guys have seen it, it really fits BBT's character (just based on the general public's perception of OGD: its a little rough around the edges).

Also: Old Forrester. at the end of the movie Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, there is a bottle of Old Forester in the background. It is another hysterical movie, but you must follow it closely. Just make sure you get the American version with Robert Downey JR and Val Kilmer because the original is a French movie.

HighTower
05-14-2008, 03:43
Billy Bob Thorton's drink of choice is a shot of old grand dad in the movie Bad Santa.

A shot of OGD? Most of the movie he's sucking it straight outta the bottle.
I love that movie...I always watch it countless times at Christmas, just to get me in the spirit of things:lol:

Scott

billthewoodguy
05-14-2008, 05:08
Thats funny cause I was just about to post about that, Nicholson ordering bourbon and receiving tenn. whisk(e)y.

trumpstylz
05-15-2008, 02:33
also: in the show seinfeld, the "dinner party" episode from i think the fourth season (if not, its the third or fifth). Anyways, There's a big display of WT 101, and I'm pretty sure thats what george knocks over with his overly large puffed up "gore tex" coat.

HipFlask
05-15-2008, 07:28
I don't know if someone got this already but in the Bond movie Goldeneye. James Bond meets with the new M character. She offers him a drink. Bond tells her that person that was in her position before her always kept Cognac in his desk and she responds that she prefers Bourbon, and then pours some out of a glass decanter.

mgilbertva
05-15-2008, 07:51
In Devil in a Blue Dress Denzel Washington is sitting at a run-down bar with a bottle of Old Fitz BIB in front of him. The bottle is sideways so you can just barely make out the label.

Thesh
05-31-2008, 23:21
Just watched "Black Snake Moan."

Justin Timberlake had a bottle of Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel. The person who he thought was his friend was drinking directly from the bottle. Needless to say, Justin was a little pissed off after that. He showed a little more restraint than I would have.

gothbat
06-21-2008, 14:52
There's a bottle of OGD and WT (101, I think) on the shelf at Joe's bar in Psychos In Love. Later on in the movie there is a bottle of OGD114 on another part of the shelf.

rockporter
06-24-2008, 11:05
In American Graffitti, Toad (played by Charles Martin Smith) gets an adult (actually a robber) to get him and his girl (played by Candy Clark) a bottle of Old Harper's.

He proceeds to have a good time with his girl and then puking his guts out.

gblick
07-09-2008, 07:03
A coworker let me borrow his complete set of "Ghost In The Shell - Stand Alone Complex" (which is an anime series), to watch. Last night I saw episode 16 from season 1. A couple of guys go into a bar for a drink, and they drink Blanton's, there are some good detailed closeups of the bottle. One guy spills some when pouring and the other guy says something like "Hey watch it, that's expensive stuff".

barturtle
08-07-2008, 21:49
Went and saw Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson. In addition to the expected massive amounts of Wild Turkey he was famous for, there was also many other bottles, but the only one I caught was the Blantons.

jinenjo
08-10-2008, 21:28
Just watched "Empire of the Sun" the other night. It's a decent WWII flick--with a great performance by a then 13-year old Christian Bale--though the film has it's requisite Speilberg moments, if you know what I mean.

At any rate, in the scene where he first meets the John Malcovitch character, there's a shot of a radio playing with a bottle of bonded Old Overholt next to it.

Mmmm...

cowdery
08-17-2008, 12:44
I was watching the original 1962 Frank Sinatra "Manchurian Candidate" last night and there is a quick moment when Sen. John "Johnny" Yerkes Iselin (James Gregory) is signaling an aid to bring him a "bourbon and water," but the request is accompanied by hand gestures in which he specifies a lot of bourbon and a little bit of water.

Great movie, by the way.

Stones
08-21-2008, 21:38
I was watching the new trailer for 'Appaloosa' and noticed a few shots where there was some bourbons shelved behind the bar. I've uploaded some pics, is that an old sazerac bottle on the shelf or am i imagining things? Anyone know what the other bottles are? :grin:

gothbat
08-24-2008, 13:17
Neil Patrick Harris takes a swig from a bottle of Jim D... (hand was covering the rest of the fake label) Kentucky Whiskey as he drives Harold and Kumar to Texas in Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay.

callmeox
08-24-2008, 13:45
I was watching the new trailer for 'Appaloosa' and noticed a few shots where there was some bourbons shelved behind the bar. I've uploaded some pics, is that an old sazerac bottle on the shelf or am i imagining things? Anyone know what the other bottles are? :grin:

What is the time setting for that movie? I'm curious how historically correct it would be to have bottled whiskey behind the bar.

Stones
08-24-2008, 18:41
What is the time setting for that movie? I'm curious how historically correct it would be to have bottled whiskey behind the bar.

I think the 1966 version starring Marlon Brando was set in the 1870s...

gothbat
09-01-2008, 15:54
In The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor there are old style bottles (the movie is set in the 40's) of Old Overholt and, I believe, Old Taylor on the bar at a night club called Imhotep's.

whgaunce@alltel.
09-01-2008, 18:10
In Spiderman 3 there is the briefest shot of a bottle of Maker's Mark breaking and catching fire. Saw it last night.:grin:

gothbat
10-26-2008, 19:17
Jim Beam White and Evan Williams black sit on the bar in Junie's Lounge in City of the Living Dead, advertisements for Early Time are also visible on the walls.

fishnbowljoe
10-26-2008, 21:58
Was watching The Sting again last week. Noticed an add for a whiskey on one of the buildings. I believe it was Old Forester, but I'm not 100% positive. Joe

mozilla
10-27-2008, 10:44
Was watching a show on the WB or whatever that chanel is calling itself this week....a show called Easy Money.

I noticed while the main family's father was at their local pawn shop union meeting...he pulled out a handle of Old Crow at the buffet.

Also, later in the show the wife was seen pouring him a rocks glass of Jack Daniels.

gothbat
12-20-2008, 20:36
In Nekromantik II Monika pours herself a bit of Jim Beam White Label as she suits up to go tearfully dismember the corpse of Rob, the main character from the first movie. Afterwards she has another glass and a smoke.

darkluna
12-24-2008, 14:24
Sterling Hayden in Asphalt Jungle delivers the classic line "Why don't you quit your crying and get me some bourbon!" and also has a line about how the Kentucky water makes the whiskey taste so good. Excellent flick!

OscarV
12-26-2008, 18:06
I stumbled across this one a couple of nights ago.
No mention of the brand of bourbon but in "Goldfinger", him and Bond were drinking Mint Juleps.
Goldfinger ask Bond, "Is your Julep tart enough?"

nor02lei
12-27-2008, 06:40
I did see the excellent Christmas movie “bad Santa” 2 days ago and he did drink old Granddad among all sort of other booze.
Leif

polyamnesia
12-27-2008, 22:00
not sure if THIS has been noted yet....but just got back from a party...and WHO KILLED ROGER RABBIT is on....i swear the bob hoskins character (detective) swigged from a small bottle of WILD TURKEY!

pepcycle
12-29-2008, 10:13
I was watching Bad Santa with Billy Bob Thornton.
There's a scene where he freeloads in a kid's house and he soaks in the whirlpool tub.

Theres a bottle of Old Grand Dad on the edge of the tub with a rocks glass and ice.

Nice Touch.

rockporter
12-30-2008, 07:43
Not a movie - But House is a bourbon drinker =- switched from Jack Daniels to Makers Mark to McCormick (I think - tough label to read)

cowdery
12-30-2008, 20:28
If House is drinking McCormick, that explains why he's so grumpy.

gblick
01-02-2009, 13:47
In Will Smith's movie "Hancock", he's seen flying with a large bottle of something that's hard to determine. Then later, he's in a store and he brings two bottles to the counter, and there you can clearly see that it's Gentleman Jim's Bourbon. I did a search and could not find any info on Gentleman Jim's Bourbon. Is it real, or is it just a brand that was made up for the movie?

camduncan
01-02-2009, 15:45
I was watching Nigella (Brittish Chef) on the Food Channel yesterday, and she was cooking with Makers Mark.

Blitz
01-02-2009, 17:33
Seen the movie 100 times, never noticed this until I read this thread...

In the christmas classic, "It's a Wonderful Life" George Bailey orders a 'double bourbon' when he is in the bar with Clarence the Angel(2nd class).

gothbat
01-02-2009, 22:55
The main character, Gil, in The Hideous Sun Demon orders bourbon twice on camera in the movie, first bourbon and water and then the next time a double bourbon before getting his ass kicked, the brand is never specified.

gothbat
01-11-2009, 14:37
In Honeymoon Horror an ad for Benchmark bourbon can be seen in the magazine that Vic is reading in the living room. He and most of the other characters also drink whiskey however they alternate between JD and J&B. J&B shows up in a lot of horror movies, I notice it most in Italian movies, someday I'll have to give it a try even though I'm not a big scotch fan.

gothbat
01-16-2009, 18:17
At Club Rhino, the bar in Zombie Strippers, the only bourbon that is visible on the shelf is Jim Beam White.

polyamnesia
01-18-2009, 19:54
ok.

my wife was watching RED ROCK WEST....dennis hopper i noticed keeps flashing this bottle....what is it? couldn't tell...

Dant? Weller Special Reserve? Old Crow?
it had a white label, round bottle, longish neck....

and he used it to start a fire...it would HAVE to be ... what proof???

edo
01-18-2009, 20:04
Was watching The Sting again last week. Noticed an add for a whiskey on one of the buildings. I believe it was Old Forester, but I'm not 100% positive. Joe

I think it's Ezra Brooks or Old Ezra. I remember noticing it shows up in the bottle, too. There is more whiskey in that film, too... I.W. Harper?

gothbat
01-18-2009, 22:25
Charles Brooks, father of Andy Brooks, is seen drinking Henry McKenna straight from the bottle while looking over some photos from the good old days, the days before his son went off to Vietnam, got killed, and came back as a bloodthirsty zombie, in Dead of Night (1974, aka Deathdream).

fishnbowljoe
01-20-2009, 00:01
Not in a movie, but the television show Two And A Half Men. Charlie Sheen was giving his brother a slightly hard time for drinking his "good stuff". His good stuff was a bottle of Woodford Reserve. Joe

p_elliott
01-20-2009, 07:31
I watch that show all the time I'll watch for that scene

George
01-20-2009, 08:22
Not in a movie, but the television show Two And A Half Men. Charlie Sheen was giving his brother a slightly hard time for drinking his "good stuff". His good stuff was a bottle of Woodford Reserve. Joe

You beat me to the punch. I saw this as well and was going to post it. :cool:

HipFlask
01-21-2009, 07:13

I have seen WildTurkey, Knob creek, as well as many scotches on this show. His bar is located to the right of the kitchen and is in the back ground behind the couch that he watches TV. Good show by the way.

gothbat
01-22-2009, 20:07
Multiple tax stripped bottles of Black Crow Bourbon are seen being poured from by Dussander throughout the movie Apt Pupil. There’s even a scene where we see him coming out of a liquor store with, presumably, several bottles in his cart to add to his stash by the cellar stairs. Whether sitting back telling Todd his stories about his time in the German army during WWII or murdering a homeless man whom he thought was on to him, Dussander keeps his Black Crow at close hand and in good supply!
There is a brand called Black Crow but I could find very little info on it, the partial picture (all I could find) I saw of the label on one for sale didn't look the same as the one in the movie at all though. I wonder if this is a real label or a fake label with a coincidental name... (the first one is from the movie, the second is the real one)

cowdery
01-23-2009, 15:27
The label is so similar to at least one iteration of the Old Crow label that I suspect it is a fake, made for the movie, by modifying an Old Crow label. It could be an actual knock-off brand, but it's so close that I think Beam would have sued, ala Brown-Forman's suit against Barton for Ridgewood Reserve.

gothbat
01-24-2009, 15:31
The label is so similar to at least one iteration of the Old Crow label that I suspect it is a fake, made for the movie, by modifying an Old Crow label.

Kind of figured that was the case. I could swear I've seen older Old Crow in the same or similar bottles and that label is very similar to the current label. Odd how it's got a tax strip, the movie is from the late 90's and I think it takes place present day. Oh well, maybe he's hoarding dusties, he does have that stash by the cellar steps. :]

gothbat
01-24-2009, 20:52
I think it might be bonded but it's hard to see since it's an old movie on a cheap DVD however there is a bottle of Old Grand Dad in Nathan's office in the movie Horror Hotel (aka The City of the Dead). Shortly after we see a bottle of Philadelphia Blended Whiskey being used to make Barlow a rye and soda at Professor Driscoll's house.

gothbat
01-25-2009, 12:12
A tax striped bottle of Kentucky Tavern is on the dinner table in Poor Pretty Eddie.

gothbat
01-25-2009, 21:29
It's hard to tell (poor picture quality...) but I believe Mr Linden offers Mary a bit of his tax striped Old Crow to mix into her coffee in Carnival of Souls (1962).

gothbat
01-31-2009, 23:37
In Amsterdamned Martin orders a bourbon at the diving club's bar, later in the movie victim #5 is seen with a bottle of Four Roses Bourbon shortly before meeting his end.

gothbat
02-15-2009, 11:04
In the dismal Macabre a George Dickel billboard is seen as Jane is walking back to her apartment from the lingerie store, shortly after we see her blind landlord, Robert, give her a hefty pour of Four Roses Bourbon while she takes a bath.

PAspirit1
02-15-2009, 14:05
There is a bottle of Makers Mark in the movie Smart People with Ellen Page. It is probably a coincidence that her character in Juno jokingly asks for a Makers Mark strait up when she is talking to the future adoptive parents of her unborn child.

gothbat
02-16-2009, 20:22
Mirrored signs for Kentucky Derby Blue Grass Bourbon and Louisiana Belle Rye Whiskey hang on the wall in Gisella's apartent in the movie Strip Nude for your Killer. I can find these signs for sale online however that's all I can find, no mention of these being real brands...

p_elliott
02-17-2009, 07:51
Gothbat I hate to bring this up but you watch some strange movies

rockporter
02-17-2009, 12:05
On NCIS, Jethro, the lead played by mark harmon drinks Maker's Mark out of a jar.

ThomasW
02-17-2009, 13:05
In an episode of The Simpsons, a Texas business man comes in to Moe`s and says: "Give me a bottle of bourbon, I got a new liver to break in!"

HipFlask
02-17-2009, 15:27
In the perfect date night movie "He's really not into you" there is a number of bar scenes. You can see good ole Wild Turkey 80 proof on the shelf. I could not make out any other bottles other than an Irish whiskey Jameson. By the my wife loved the movie. I was glad when it finally ended.

gothbat
02-17-2009, 19:48
Gothbat I hate to bring this up but you watch some strange movies

hehe, you should see the ones that, due to lack of bourbon, don't make this thread! ;]

In an episode of The Simpsons, a Texas business man comes in to Moe`s and says: "Give me a bottle of bourbon, I got a new liver to break in!"

Ah, that reminds me of another early episode, where Marge accidentally steals a bottle of Colonel Kwik-E-Mart's Kentucky Bourbon from the Kwik-E-Mart and goes to jail.

sdchap00
02-22-2009, 21:24
Another not-quite-the-movies moment, but on the show House, the main character drinks some sort of whiskey at home in a few episodes. The bottle is pretty clearly a MM bottle (based on the shape), but the label isn't visible and there is no wax around the neck or lid.

smokinjoe
02-23-2009, 05:30
Another not-quite-the-movies moment, but on the show House, the main character drinks some sort of whiskey at home in a few episodes. The bottle is pretty clearly a MM bottle (based on the shape), but the label isn't visible and there is no wax around the neck or lid.

So Shawn, did you ever get to try that Distiller's Masterpiece at Nicholson's, when you graduated Law School? :D

Just playing. I see that you have been a long-time member, but don't get back that often. Here's hoping you stop around more often! :toast:

Cheers!

HipFlask
02-23-2009, 15:19
Here's another date night movie. In "New In Town" the plant manager goes into a bar and orders "Makers Mark UP please". He is given a shot glass full which he proceeds to shoot. Also the Renee Zelwigger charcter gets falling over drunk on some brown sprirt. I could not make out what the bottle was but I am guessing some kind of Scotch.

Stones
02-23-2009, 19:55
Not sure if this one has been mentioned but Maker’s Mark is the choice drink of the Goblin and his son in Spiderman.

The most spirited cameo in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man also appeared in the director's 2000 The Gift. No, it's not Spidey cocreator Stan Lee, but a bottle of Maker's Mark bourbon. Raimi declines to comment, but Spider-Man production designer Neil Spisak says: ''It's a favorite of Sam's -- though I never saw anything consumed on the set.'' Willem Dafoe takes a swig after his Green Goblin tears up Times Square. The unsolicited plug surprised Maker's prez Bill Samuels (placements can cost up to $50,000). He doesn't even mind that it was the bad guy's booze. ''The villain is most appropriate for us,'' says Samuels. ''We've always operated on the edge of sanity.''

Directors Trademark: [Sam Raimi (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000600/)] apparently Maker's Mark appears in most of Raimi's movies.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000600/

sdchap00
02-23-2009, 20:23
So Shawn, did you ever get to try that Distiller's Masterpiece at Nicholson's, when you graduated Law School? :D

Just playing. I see that you have been a long-time member, but don't get back that often. Here's hoping you stop around more often! :toast:

Alas, I never tried it, though, as I noted in another post, I did get some Pappy20yro. Still working my way through that bottle, now 7 years down the road.

I hope to stay a little more active, but I'm busy, busy, busy.

I got a couple bottles of the Geo. T. Stagg for Christmas this year. Here's to hoping it lives up to the reputation!

Buffalo Bill
02-24-2009, 07:49
This thread has kept me looking but I still can't remember the last time I saw a bourbon label in a movie. Haven't found one yet..... BB

gothbat
02-25-2009, 20:28
In Splatter Farm (The Cult Classic Edition) we see a montage of Joseph drinking OGD (I think it's BIB but the picture is blurry) in various places (hammock, porch, couch, bathtub, etc...) before his twin brother picks him up and they head off to see Aunt Lacey at the farm.

DukeB
03-02-2009, 10:14
It wasn't a movie, but if you watched New Year's Eve from Times Square, Maker's Mark had major placement behind the bands playing. The Maker's bottle looked two stories tall!

Also, in NCIS, Leroy Jethro Gibbs always has a bottle of bourbon on his workbench in his basement. Lately, it's been a bottle of Maker's with the label and wax stipped off.

I've noticed bourbon bottles in many tv shows lately...How I Met your Mother always has a few.

shyster512
03-04-2009, 19:14
In the episode 24, one of the congressmen made the comment that he had learned "if it aint made in Kentucky, it isn't bourbon."

rockporter
03-05-2009, 13:00
Actually, it was the White House Chief of Staff who was trying to ingratiate himself with a Senator.

Jono
03-05-2009, 13:10
At the risk of going slightly off topic...good set of clips..for JD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abgEpNdDDpk

Squash
03-06-2009, 11:13
Cool clips. The Shining and Animal House are two of my favorites.

Jono
03-06-2009, 11:42
The face of JD...Tom Cruise!

ThomasW
03-06-2009, 23:15
The face of JD...Tom Cruise!:slappin: :slappin: :slappin:

Josh
03-13-2009, 06:47
This post has already drifted into TV so I'm going to drift it even further...
For some reason, on Wednesday's episode of Days of Our Lives, behind the bar where Max Brady works there was a jug of Platte Valley Corn Whiskey, of all things.:confused:

Stones
03-17-2009, 19:53
I was watching Two and Half Men last night and they were sitting at their kitchen table drinking pours from a Woodford Reserve bottle and a large 1.5? Litre handle next to it. Couldn't see what the handle was but i think it was bourbon...

chefnash51
03-23-2009, 06:56
also I saw in the most recent episode of Two and 1/2 Men where Charlie pours some Woodford Reserve into a travel coffee mug before heading to his girlfirends house to bring her back some cloths and clean out the kitty litter.

Alan had to drive because Charlie was drinking his bourbon.

gothbat
04-04-2009, 20:47
As soon as I got back from getting myself a snifter of WLW ('08) and unpaused the movie a funny mention of bourbon is made in Evil Dead Trap (Shiryo no wana), see caps. (Don't worry, about 7 minutes later Kondou seems to redeem himself with her...) :]

gothbat
04-04-2009, 21:53
Later in the same movie, Evil Dead Trap, one of the characters lights his cigarette that has some cosmetics and a bottle of Wild Turkey on it. I'm not sure which one because we don't see the whole bottle.

independant
04-04-2009, 22:23
I know King Pin has been brought up before and I don't know if anyone said anything about this its been awhile sense i looked through the whole thread.
At the end of the movie when woody is pouring out the Jim beam you can see another label in the cabinet. It is a white triangle shaped label with a red strip going through it. any ideas?

gothbat
04-04-2009, 23:38
Later in the same movie, Evil Dead Trap, one of the characters lights his cigarette that has some cosmetics and a bottle of Wild Turkey on it. I'm not sure which one because we don't see the whole bottle.

Argh... that should read "Later in the same movie, Evil Dead Trap, one of the characters lights his cigarette in front of a table that has some cosmetics and a bottle of Wild Turkey on it. I'm not sure which one because we don't see the whole bottle.". Not sure how I managed that one or how what I said in the original post would even be possible... lol

gothbat
04-05-2009, 13:15
In the movie Gargoyles (the TV movie from 1972) the motel owner pulls a bottle of Jim Beam White from the police chief's desk and pours herself a drink when she goes to report an attack on one of her guests the night before.

squire
04-05-2009, 14:34
Not pictured but aptly described by Humpery Bogart as Sam Spade when he says to a woman, "I've got a bottle of pretty good Rye in my pocket".

gothbat
04-05-2009, 17:03
Remembered a few minutes ago that there was bourbon in the Last House on the Left remake that I saw a few weeks back. I'm not sure of the brand or if they actually show the label, I'm thinking Jim Beam or Evan Williams but I'm not really sure at this point.

ACDetroit
04-05-2009, 19:22
If this has been called I'm sorry. I was watching Grind House the other night...Odd movie but Kurt Russel is driving a 69 Charger and opens the glove box pulling out a 5th of Four Roses yellow label to kill the pain of being shot in the arm.

Tony

Squash
04-10-2009, 17:58
In the movie Elegy, Ben Kingsley pours a Maker's Mark for himself and his son, played by Peter Sarsgaard. The bottle is featured prominently as it sits on a table between them during a conversation.

I wouldn't recommend seeing this movie, even though you get to see Penelope Cruz naked several times...nice, as well as three squash scenes. Ben Kingsley is just not convincing at all.

dean_martin
04-10-2009, 20:45
Argh... that should read "Later in the same movie, Evil Dead Trap, one of the characters lights his cigarette in front of a table that has some cosmetics and a bottle of Wild Turkey on it. I'm not sure which one because we don't see the whole bottle.". Not sure how I managed that one or how what I said in the original post would even be possible... lol

Hey gothbat. Isn't that movie from Japan? Maybe it's a bottle of export only WT 12yo.

(BTW-I used to collect eurotrash and some Asian flicks back in the days of vhs. No websites. Placed orders by flyer-type catalogs. Many were bootlegs. I used to jump through hoops for lousy copies and now I see some of the same titles on dvd in BestBuy.)

gothbat
04-11-2009, 09:30
Hey gothbat. Isn't that movie from Japan? Maybe it's a bottle of export only WT 12yo.

(BTW-I used to collect eurotrash and some Asian flicks back in the days of vhs. No websites. Placed orders by flyer-type catalogs. Many were bootlegs. I used to jump through hoops for lousy copies and now I see some of the same titles on dvd in BestBuy.)

Yep, that's the one; saw the "sequel" a week or two ago and figured I'd revisit the first one.
It's hard to say on the bottle because I can't quite match it with any of the current labels but the movie is 20 or so years old so that may be due to a label change. I'm thinking it's one of the lower proofed expressions though because the foil at the top of the neck is gold. I added a picture, maybe someone can say what it is for sure.
I remember well those days, back before most imports had a legit, uncut, domestic release! My first copy of this movie was actually one of those "collector's tapes", I think I got it at a convention or in a trade with someone on another forum. I usually can't get into the Japanese horror but this one wasn't bad, I mostly watch Italian movies, giallo especially (I've often considered started a Scotch in the Movies thread in the Foreign Whiskey section so I have a place to log all the J&B bottles I spot! :] ).
I've never seen the movie but your avatar makes me think of Danger: Diabolik.

dean_martin
04-11-2009, 12:22
I usually can't get into the Japanese horror but this one wasn't bad, I mostly watch Italian movies, giallo especially (I've often considered started a Scotch in the Movies thread in the Foreign Whiskey section so I have a place to log all the J&B bottles I spot! :] ).
I've never seen the movie but your avatar makes me think of Danger: Diabolik.

I like Argento and Bava and have a few of their films, but I've probably read about more giallo than I've actually seen.

The avatar is from the Italian website for the comic book Diabolik. The movie Danger: Diabolik is good fun. The sound track is a Morricone gem.

gothbat
04-11-2009, 13:35
I like Argento and Bava and have a few of their films, but I've probably read about more giallo than I've actually seen.

The avatar is from the Italian website for the comic book Diabolik. The movie Danger: Diabolik is good fun. The sound track is a Morricone gem.

I've been checking out Mario Bava's stuff lately since I found two box sets of his movies for like $15 each on Amazon a few months back, I definitely like his movies better than most of his son's movies! One of these days I'm going to get around to checking out Danger: Diabolik, it wasn't in either box. As for giallo, they go great with a nice pour; if I have one I've been really wanting to see I'll usually save it for a time when I have time for both!

independant
04-14-2009, 02:41
I have been watching 1000 ways to die and many times in describing what leads up to someones death they add that the person was drinking bourbon but always show them drinking a made up brand.

George
04-14-2009, 06:01
In last night's episode of "The Big Bang Theory," a few characters went to a bar. There was a bottle of Blanton's prominently displayed at the bar.

independant
05-07-2009, 18:59
I was watching The Soup this past weekend and it had a bottle of Evan Williams black label in one of its fake clips. Hard to explain if you have never seen the show. It was a bottle of EWBL only with the Evan Williams name blacked out.

Josh
05-08-2009, 11:52
Saw Star Trek last night (this morning really) and noticed that the young Kirk orders "a shot of Jack" at the bar, and tries to order one for Uhura too.

gothbat
05-08-2009, 21:53
Wow, I just saw a witch doctor of some sort taking swigs from a bottle of Wild Turkey, some of them he swallowed and some of them he spit in what seemed to be a ritual to cure the sick of his tribe. (No subtitles on what he's saying so I don't really know; next he ripped the head off a chicken, sucked the blood, and spit it out.) All this and more in the extremely entertaining Ebola Syndrome!

Bourbon Geek
05-10-2009, 06:07
A couple of folks have mentioned Special Agent Jethro Gibbs from NCIS... his character is a bourbon drinker ... I think they are deliberately rotating the brands in his workshop. I have seen him drink Maker's, Wild Turkey, I think Ten High, and maybe one or two more. Another reason why I like NCIS so much ...

RE: Sam Raimi ... I believe he has been quoted as saying ..."All my villians will drink Maker's Mark!" ... and he places it without any payment from Maker's.

Speaking of Maker's fans ... Sandra Bullock is among them. In the movie "The Devine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood" she threw in a plug for Maker's ... I have heard it wasn't even in the script. Something like ...Well, here we are, sittin' around, drinking our Maker's Mark ...

ILLfarmboy
05-10-2009, 08:16
I was watching Two and Half Men last night and they were sitting at their kitchen table drinking pours from a Woodford Reserve bottle and a large 1.5? Litre handle next to it. Couldn't see what the handle was but i think it was bourbon...

Woodford Reserve seems to have made several appearances on that show. I spied a bottle out on the deck one evening near the end of the program.

SBOmarc
05-10-2009, 10:49
I ahve noticed many episodes on repeat of "The West Wing" where there is whiskey in a decanter sitting and being used in the oval office. The color suggests that it is indeed Bourbon.

Scotch would not be that dark.

Josh
05-11-2009, 06:46
I ahve noticed many episodes on repeat of "The West Wing" where there is whiskey in a decanter sitting and being used in the oval office. The color suggests that it is indeed Bourbon.

Scotch would not be that dark.

On a similar note, on Desperate Housewives last night, there was a scene in which someone pours someone else a "Scotch" from what appears to be a Blanton's bottle.

independant
05-12-2009, 03:07
I was watching a rerun of Scrubs and I saw a bottle of Four Roses yellow label by its self on a table next to a ice bucket in one of the doctors homes.

Bourbon Geek
05-13-2009, 05:50
In keeping with the NCIS theme ... last night (Season 6, Episode 24, "Semper Fidelis") ... there were two misdirections ...

Near the beginning of the show, there is a bottle of Blanton's on the poker table ... it has, however been re-labeled with a fake Scotch label ... something like 12 year old McGillway Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky.

Near the end of the show in Gibbs' basement ... where we usually see Gibs and his friends drinking bourbon from whatever they can find to hold the bourbon ... a coffee mug, straight from the bottle, hardware organizing glass jars ... they had a Maker's Mark bottle ... with no wax ... the raised shoulder emblem is visible, too ... the bottle had been labeled "The Glen Edinburgh ... 12 year old Pure Single Malt Scotch Whisky" ... another fake. The Secretary of the Navy brought in the bottle ... had Gibs offered the bottle, I'm sure it would have been bourbon ... I hope he hasn't gone over to the dark ... er ... light side...

barturtle
05-13-2009, 07:56
In keeping with the NCIS theme ... last night (Season 6, Episode 24, "Semper Fidelis") ... there were two misdirections ...

Near the beginning of the show, there is a bottle of Blanton's on the poker table ... it has, however been re-labeled with a fake Scotch label ... something like 12 year old McGillway Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky.

Near the end of the show in Gibbs' basement ... where we usually see Gibs and his friends drinking bourbon from whatever they can find to hold the bourbon ... a coffee mug, straight from the bottle, hardware organizing glass jars ... they had a Maker's Mark bottle ... with no wax ... the raised shoulder emblem is visible, too ... the bottle had been labeled "The Glen Edinburgh ... 12 year old Pure Single Malt Scotch Whisky" ... another fake. The Secretary of the Navy brought in the bottle ... had Gibs offered the bottle, I'm sure it would have been bourbon ... I hope he hasn't gone over to the dark ... er ... light side...http://lh3.ggpht.com/_fjowoNk5HY8/SgrfSvyCGTI/AAAAAAAAAE4/hFvZ19L70Y0/s512/McGilliburn%20NCIS.jpg

ILLfarmboy
05-13-2009, 09:02
My wife watches NCIS but I don't.

I would have thought if they went to the trouble of a fake label they would have replaced the stopper. A bottle of scotch with a horse and rider stopper doesn't make sense.

jinenjo
05-16-2009, 21:42
"Our Man in Havana" was a comedic spy film from 1959. I just watched it the other night. Can't beat the ever-solid acting by Sir Alec Guinness. In the film he is recruited by the English secret service to do some work in Havana, Cuba. Toward the end of the film he plays checkers with a police lieutenant (played with gusto by Ernie Kovacs ) using mini bottles of booze. When the opponent takes a piece he downs the juice! Bourbon vs. Scotch. It was a fun film, to say the least.

http://www.chessbase.com/images2/2003/shotglasschess01.jpg

I spotted a bottle of J.W. Dant and Old Crow, and possibly an Old Grand Dad. Now that's a game of checkers I'd play for keeps!

gothbat
05-26-2009, 13:11
A bottle of Jim Beam White seen in the background behind the counter at a restaurant while an employee tells about the installation of a Futuro home in their town in Futuro: A New Stance for Tomorrow.

gblick
05-31-2009, 14:25
I was watching the latest episode of Harper's Island last night, and the sheriff poured something into a coffee mug. I had it on DVR, so I was able to pause/play it back to see what it was. The label said Parker's Bourbon, and didn't look like anything I've ever seen. And no, it wasn't Parker's Heritage, probably a made-up label.

Edit: Just played it back again to have another look. There is a lot of glare on part of the bottle, so it's hard to see the first letter, but I think it may actually be Barker's Bourbon. The bottle is also tinted brown.

independant
06-04-2009, 18:27
In the tv show 30 rock liz lemon is at her high school reunion and walks up to the bar and ask for a manhatten and the bartender say sure what kind of bourbon and she quickly says white wine spritzer please. Lol the way it played out was really funny

independant
06-07-2009, 09:41
Watching the NFL Network they ran a show called Top Ten Games With Names and the number 2 game was the Ice Bowl in green bay in 67
in it they show the stands and there is a guy tipping back a bottle of JBW