PDA

View Full Version : What bourbon did you purchase today?

Pages : [1] 2 3

NorCalBoozer
07-19-2006, 21:23
me? I picked up....

Henry McKenna SB BIB (yea, been looking for this one!)
Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 101
Wild Turkey 101 (x2)
George Dickel #8

and a Laphroaig 15 yr

TimmyBoston
07-20-2006, 02:28
I was able to track down two bottles of WT Russell's Reserve 101. Yay!!!!!:grin:

kbuzbee
07-20-2006, 05:46
and a Laphroaig 15 yr

Hey Greg, how is that 15?? I love the 10. Have a 10 cask strength que'd up but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

As for me, finally got an EW '96.... Very tasty!

Ken

Edward_call_me_Ed
07-20-2006, 06:03
Today, I got my first Blanton's Straight from the Barrel from barrel 244 at 134.8 proof, a Blanton's Silver, an AAA 10 year old, my first Elmer T Lee with the foil top, and a bottle of Old Crow (Beam) for the Blue Collar American Whiskey thread. You can see that I like Bufalo Trace bourbons! I passed on a Russell's Reserve 101 and a Four Roses SB 86 proof.
Ed

kbuzbee
07-20-2006, 06:33
... I passed on a Russell's Reserve 101 ...Ed

Really? I wouldn't have! Was it expensive?? I have 7-8 of those bunked and HOPE to make them last a few years. I miss being able to buy that one around here (though RB and KS ease my pain signifigantly:grin: )

Cheers!

Ken

Edward_call_me_Ed
07-20-2006, 06:44
Really? I wouldn't have! Was it expensive?? I have 7-8 of those bunked and HOPE to make them last a few years. I miss being able to buy that one around here (though RB and KS ease my pain signifigantly:grin: )

Cheers!

Ken
Hi Ken,
It was a little more than the RB I saw. I like Russell's Reserve 101, but I think I prefer the RB. I have the WT 101 8 year old here, too. If I want to spend a little more I can get the WT 12 yo, too. I often get that at my favorite bar. I might go back for it next month if it is still there. I spent too much money today...
Ed

Edward_call_me_Ed
07-20-2006, 06:49
Hey Greg, how is that 15?? I love the 10. Have a 10 cask strength que'd up but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Ken

I have all three of those. I love the standard 10 yo. Great bargain, too. I was initially disappointed in the 15, it was subdued compared to the 10. I came around and really like it. I haven't visited that bottle for a while. It is pricy compared to the 10 so I may not replace it soon. I don't want to run out of it, so I don't drink it. Not logical, I know.

Pull the trigger on that CS! I love mine. I haven't done a head to head with the standard 10 but I think I like the CS much more. I will replace that one I think.
Ed

kbuzbee
07-20-2006, 06:59
Pull the trigger on that CS! I love mine. I haven't done a head to head with the standard 10 but I think I like the CS much more. I will replace that one I think.
Ed

As I'd expected on the 15. Had a chance to try the 30 when I was in Scotland last year.... It had lost too much of that killer peat flavor I love in the 10... I see it's appeal but it's not what I want from this Monster! Kinda like buying a thoroughbred and making sure he's totally broken. I will crack open the CS and do a head to head sometime this week.

Ken

DrinkyBanjo
07-20-2006, 08:29
The Quarter Cask is really nice as well. A little bit 'friendlier' if you know what I mean but very Laphroaig all the same.

NorCalBoozer
07-20-2006, 10:18

Ken

Ken, I opened the 15 last night. I'm really new to SMSW so I don't know how much I can tell you. I've also got an Ardbeg 10 and Uigeadail opened. I really liked the La. 15, didn't seem as bold as the Ardbegs, but very good, in my opinion. Maybe a bit less peaty/smokey than the Ards but overall a great pour.

I think I'll pick up the La. 10 as well, it sounds like a great SMSW for the price point.

now i just have to learn all the SMSW bottlings to know when i see a rare/hard to find release. Greg

kbuzbee
07-20-2006, 12:14
I think I'll pick up the La. 10 as well, it sounds like a great SMSW for the price point.

It is, Greg. I'd recommend it for anyone who really likes that smoky, peaty style. Laphroaig 10 is my go to Scotch. It is the sea.... Rough, wild, stormy... Nice! If I have a couple I'll still taste the salt on my lips in the morning...

My alternate is Lagavulin 16 when I want something a little more "civilized" though that role is typically filled by Maker's or Forty Creek (for MUCH less $). I've tried several good Scotchs but those two are the only two I seem to replace. Tried a lot of things I've never seen here when we were in Scotland. I was so happy none of them "measured up"!

And you are right, for some reason Laphroaig 10 is pretty reasonably priced for a Scotch. I keep waiting for them to change that!

jburlowski
07-20-2006, 14:17
Stopped by a new (to me) liquor store about twenty miles from here. Found a bottle of BMH 14 marked down to $20 and also got a bottle of EW SB 95.

On the way home some jerk in a pick-up truck suddenly cut in front on me (almost no one uses directional signals around here) and I had to brake hard to avoid a collision. I heard a loud clank from the bag on the seat next to me. When I got home a few minutes later I found the BMH broken. (Fortunately the plastic bag kept most of it off my leather seats.)

Now I'm using the EW to drown my sorrows....

bobbyc
07-20-2006, 14:28
(Fortunately the plastic bag kept most of it off my leather seats.)

Got a sieve handy? I know some guys that used to work loading some whiskey on rail cars in Bardstown. Anyone famliar with the area knows the tracks don't go to any of the distilleries that are operating there. This was all done on the railroad siding out where Hwy245 goes thru the rock quarry, more or less. He said often when they got thristy they would smack a case with a hammer and hold a cup at the corner of the box and let the precious juice drain into a cup. Might get a little glue flavor in the finish is all!

smokinjoe
07-20-2006, 14:42
Just go back from a business trip to Tennessee. Picked up a BT, 2 Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve (Louisville-slope shoulder bottles), Pritchard's Double Barreled, and a Rittenhouse BIB. Joey gonna be happy for awhile...:drink:

JOE

hollywood
07-20-2006, 14:49
As some know, I am a huge fan of "all" the WT products (especially RB & KS), "except" for Russell's Reserve! I have tried 2 bottles of this pour, and can't make it work at all. I even tried mixing a portion of the last bottle with a Ginger Ale, and still nothing. I can't quite put my finger on it, but this one is very displeasing to me.

ratcheer
07-20-2006, 16:41
As some know, I am a huge fan of "all" the WT products (especially RB & KS), "except" for Russell's Reserve! I have tried 2 bottles of this pour, and can't make it work at all. I even tried mixing a portion of the last bottle with a Ginger Ale, and still nothing. I can't quite put my finger on it, but this one is very displeasing to me.

To me, it has a reminiscence of freshly turned dirt, but I can get by it and still enjoy it.

Tim

Gillman
07-20-2006, 17:06
Interesting. I think RR (the 100 or 90) is still very clearly a typical WT palate. The 100 was out there. The 90 is more restrained. But they both have the trademark "woodiness" of all WTs. I have noticed it in Tribute and Kentucky Spirit too albeit some of that character is hidden in the richness.

In my view, the 03 batch of Rare Breed is the best of all the WTs. By deft blending of straight barrel bourbons of different ages it gets a more complex, satisfying character than any of the others.

Of the best bourbons I've had in the last two years I rate Rare Breed, Stagg Fall '05 and the current McKenna Single Barrel at the top. Also, Elmer T. Lee.

These are the best all-round bourbons in America today.

Gary

Nebraska
07-20-2006, 17:34
Went to Ed's old stomping grounds yesterday, Lincoln Nebraska. I found a WT 12yo split label, WT pewter top, Hancock's reserve (I had not seen this in the state before), and about 2 Eagle Rare SB that a store had purchased a barrel and had marked 18.99 per bottle (very good buy for around here). I also picked up a Henry Mckenna SB BIB and unfortunately discovered that if I had waited I could have saved about $5.

Locally the same day I found 4 WT RR 101's. That's gonna do it for me for a while.

cowdery
07-20-2006, 18:57
I just now returned from the Clark Street Binny's and here's what I bought:

Evan Williams 1783
Weller 12
A.H. Hirsch 16 (gold foil)
Rittenhouse Rye (80 proof, they were out of the BIB)

also:
Herradura Reposado Tequila
Bombay Sapphire Gin

Also a couple bottles of wine and some mixers. What I find interesting is that I paid more for the Herradura ($45) and Hirsch ($60) than I did for everything else combined.

I must also confess that I stood there for a long time looking at the seven bottles of Hirsch remaining on the shelf and wishing I could spare the $420.

contrarian
07-20-2006, 20:06
Of the best bourbons I've had in the last two years I rate Rare Breed, Stagg Fall '05 and the current McKenna Single Barrel at the top. Also, Elmer T. Lee.

These are the best all-round bourbons in America today.
Gary

The first two are most certainly in my top five, Gary. I haven't had the McKenna SB but will seek it out based on comments here.

My Rittenhouse BIB special order came in at the local today, so I picked up half a case @ $14 per, convinced another patron to try a bottle over his regular Old Overcoat, and lobbied to have OLCC add this to their regular order list. Also bought a bottle each of Beam Rye, EW Black and Very Rare Old (8 year 86) Heaven Hill.

Jeff

bosipipes
07-20-2006, 20:19
This past week I Picked-up 5
Rare Breed
Russell's Reserve
Booker's
WT 101
Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 15 yrs.
And I am having a ball tasting them all!!
:hot:

FlashPuppy
07-20-2006, 20:38
Just picked up two bottles of Lot B on the way home today. I have been eyeing them for a while now, and the funds just made themself available today. Having a good time looking at them, not sure if I am ready to sample or not yet. Just had a pour of EC12 and ETL, I want a clean palate when I crack them open.

TimmyBoston
07-20-2006, 21:00
Today I went back to the liquor store (again) and I picked up some midrange stuff, Old Forrester 100 and Saz Rye, Jr. Just opened the Forrester and its not too bad.

tmas
07-21-2006, 10:45
Today I found two bottles of Jefferson Reserve 15 yr in a store I haven't been in before. I bought them both as I know from SB posts that it's a thing of the past and apparently rather good! Haven't had this one before, but I must say it sure has a nice deep color to it! Have to wait for an appropriate relaxed moment to break it open! Tom V

hollywood
07-21-2006, 11:36
Tmas, Not to spoil it for you, but in my opinion, you'll probably find alot of butterscotch...At least I usually do!

Nebraska
07-21-2006, 15:00
I stopped in a little liquor store here that I had been in before a couple of months ago and had just a little luck. I don't know how I missed these before, but today I picked up:

2 bottles Pappy VW 20yo
Ezra Brooks 1 liter 90 proof,fake tax stamp, looks like 1988 on the bottom.
I.W. Harper BIB, real tax stamp, spring 1969/fall 1974, 100 proof in a nifty silver box with plastic medallion on the outside of a gent tipping his hat.

I gave the store owner $120 for all 4, he was elated.

tmas
07-21-2006, 17:16
Tmas, Not to spoil it for you, but in my opinion, you'll probably find alot of butterscotch...At least I usually do!

Do you mean "spoil" as in when you tell someone the end of a movie, or that you didn't care for the JR 15? Actually, I love butterscotch, so this may just become a favorite of mine! Worst case scenario, I'll put it on some vanilla ice cream! Hmmm...I just may try that. Tom V

Edward_call_me_Ed
07-22-2006, 07:18
I stopped in a little liquor store here that I had been in before a couple of months ago and had just a little luck. I don't know how I missed these before, but today I picked up:

2 bottles Pappy VW 20yo
I.W. Harper BIB, real tax stamp, spring 1969/fall 1974, 100 proof in a nifty silver box with plastic medallion on the outside of a gent tipping his hat.

Not as elated as you were, or I will eat my Salt Dogs baseball cap.
Ed

cowdery
07-22-2006, 13:08

2 bottles Pappy VW 20yo

How did some little liquor store in Nebraska get stuck (as I'm sure it felt to him) with two bottles of Pappy 20? They probably were killing his inventory cost. Isn't it nice when everybody leaves a transaction like that happy?

Nebraska
07-22-2006, 18:22
Chuck,

I was REALLY mystified by the Pappy being there. The liquor store has been there forever, but is one of the worst parts of the city. The other thing that had me scratching my head was the price tag on them of $65.99.

hollywood
07-22-2006, 19:06
Tmas, I mean "spoil" as in telling someone what will happen at the end of the movie...my girlfriend hates that!...anywho..NO, I love this pour! I can't find it since I have moved to the midwest, but it was a top 5 pour for me easily! I hope you enjoyed yours...Did you taste the butterscotch?!

tmas
07-23-2006, 00:00
Oh, OK Hollywood, that's good, I like to hear nice things about my latest find! I haven't tried it yet. I like to save special bottles for special occasions, so I think I'll bring the JR 15 and a bottle of ORVW 15 from the bunker along when I go on my fishing vacation in late August. My brother, who I have made a bourbon convert in the past couple of years, and I, will have fun comparing and consuming them, hopefully along with some fresh fluke, porgies, blues, stripers, or whatever! Tom V

Edward_call_me_Ed
07-24-2006, 06:23
Tmas, I mean "spoil" as in telling someone what will happen at the end of the movie...my girlfriend hates that!...anywho..NO, I love this pour! I can't find it since I have moved to the midwest, but it was a top 5 pour for me easily! I hope you enjoyed yours...Did you taste the butterscotch?!

I just don't understand people like your girlfriend. My wife is the same way, but still, the more I know ahead of time the better. Oh, don't tell the punch line first, but still.
Ed

hollywood
07-25-2006, 12:10
Last night I picked up..
1) Blanton's (Warehouse H)
2) 1792 Ridgemont Reserve
3) Old Forester 86

I'll go to another area, and give a little spill on the Blanton's...I was a little disappointed!......

Sijan
07-25-2006, 21:17
Almost picked up several large 1.75L bottles of Ancient Ancient Age that I found at an ABC store near the convention center (on lunch break from the bar exam), but then saw they were 10 Star and not 10 year. Major bummer - got my hopes up and then dashed them just as quickly.

scratchline
07-25-2006, 21:43
At least you found out before you bought them. I bought a couple of bottles of AAA 10 year, opened one of them, drank my way through the bottle thinking, "This is okay, but absolutely nothing special". Was bunkering the unopened bottle when I realized that the fine print read "star" not "year". I was at least gratified that my taster was telling true while my eye was lying.

Picked up a couple of early nineties Louisville bottles of Weller Special Reserve 7 yr. Eager to give it a try.

-Mike

chasking
07-26-2006, 10:48
This weekend I finally got a couple bottles from the David Nicholson 1843 stash I found at a liquor store by my dad's house. This is 7 year old 100 proof Stitzel-Weller whiskey---for $14 a bottle! They had three left: Northender Liquors, Springfield, Illinois.

I think that the Northender bought some odds and ends at a deep discount from a distributor cleaning out the warehouse, because they also had some Very Old Barton (86 proof), and they were selling it for under $9 a bottle. Curiously, this is less than what they were charging for Ten High.

Powertrip
07-27-2006, 08:21
Just snagged 3 bottles of Evan Williams 1994 Single Barrel from some backstreet liquor store here...counting my blessings and enjoying a drop of it as I speak!

TnSquire
07-27-2006, 12:53
In the last week or so I have bought....
1. 4 roses single barrel
2. AAA 10 year old
3. (2) Old Forester 2002 BB
4. Eagle Rare 101.

Found but not bought
1. Several bottles of Jeff. Reserve.
2. Several bottles of RR 101
3. 1.5 gal of old fitz that I think is SW
4. 1.5 gal of Eagle Rare 101 and another 750 in the Tall bottle (I had not seen it before.)
5. Evan Williams SB 94 and 96
6. Evan Williams 1783
7. several Pappy 15

Geo
07-27-2006, 16:44
Going to get next week:

2- Old Weller Antique 107
1- Old Grand Dad 114

hollywood
07-27-2006, 18:33
Geo, What size glass are we talking about? Make mine biggie sized!

musher
07-27-2006, 20:57
I finally spotted some of the Sazerac Rye, so I picked up a couple of bottles. I also picked up one each of Buffalo Trace, WT Rye and Van Winkle Special Reserve 12yo to keep them company.

Edward_call_me_Ed
07-29-2006, 06:33
I finally got a bottle of Four Roses Black Lable. It was 500 yen or so cheaper than I had seen it before, so I got it . It is much better than the Yellow Lable. I don't think it has made my "keep some on hand" list. I will drink some more of it and then make up my mind. I also got some Old Grand Dad 86 proof for a good price. I think I prefer this to the Four Roses.
Ed

Ambernecter
07-29-2006, 10:50
I saw JB black in Tesco for less than £15, so I bought 2 bottles... hardly a World beater but that is a good price for these here parts!

Cheers!

luv2hunt
07-29-2006, 12:30
I just got back from a week in Dublin/Columbus OH. Didn't even see a liquor store to stop at!

Dawn

tmas
07-29-2006, 17:51
I just got back from a week in Dublin/Columbus OH. Didn't even see a liquor store to stop at!

Dawn

Well, that's one good thing about living in the NYC area. There's liquor stores all over the place with no central authority, so there's always the possibility of finding something interesting!
Today I ran across 5 bottles of RR101 for the bizarre and attractive price of $23.71 each! Naturally, I did what I had to do, and they now rest peacefully in my bunker!
Had some RR101 a few days ago neat and I really enjoy this WT expression! I find it has a very deep and complex nose and flavor profile. I enjoy it more than the RB I have which is the 1997 bottling with the older style label. Tom V

ratcheer
07-29-2006, 18:36
I bought a bottle of WT101 to take to the beach, next week.

Tim

gr8erdane
07-29-2006, 20:51
Were your DN 1843s in tall thin bottles (like PVW) or short squat ones (like ORVW)? The newer ones are the latter. The tall thin ones may be pre-David Sherman.

TomH
08-01-2006, 20:11
Had to spend some time in Cleveland last week and since my wife was off work (teacher) she went with me. Since it had been over 25 years since we had seen Niagara Falls I suggested we take it in over the weekend since we were only about 3 1/2 hours away. Now I totally disavow that this idea was influenced at all by Tritioch's posting about ORVW15 available in Buffalo, but I did manage to convince my wife to let me visit Buffalo for a bourbon purchase and added some ORVW15 to my stash.

Tom

Big Chipper
08-01-2006, 21:52
Picked up an Old Charter 12yr old (for $17.95) and a bottle of Weller Old Antique 107 (for $13.95). Is it true the OC12 isn't being made any more?

gothbat
08-01-2006, 22:21
While I've bought many bottles of Wild Turkey 101 I've never bought a bottle of Wild Turkey 80. This occured to me as I was driving to the liquor store to grab some JD and when I got there, noting the price difference, I grabbed the WT80 instead.

photogjunkie
08-02-2006, 11:12
Gosh...I hope OC 12 isn't going away...tell me that is not true. I did do some shopping today and picked up a couple of Louisville label Old Weller Antique 107 L bottles (Bourbon Heritage Collection bags on them). Isn't that supposed to be SW bourbon inside?

BobA
08-02-2006, 13:10
I had that worry about OC 12 a while ago, and remember coming to the conclusion that there was simply a label change in the works (but can't point to exactly why). Although with so many other more upmarket bourbons coming from that mashbill, I wouldn't be surprised if there is not some divergence.
Bob

BourbonJoe
08-02-2006, 18:49
Isn't that supposed to be SW bourbon inside?

I was always led to believe that Weller Louisville was S-W whiskey.
Joe :usflag:

barturtle
08-02-2006, 20:30
IIRC someone had posted pics where they had moved to nicer glass(bottles).

barturtle
08-02-2006, 20:36
When Weller was in Louisville-even after S-W had closed down-they were still owned by UDV and any aged spirit would have been produced at S-W. Production then moved to Bernheim, where the current younger bottlings of VW were distilled (and I'm guessing possibly the 10yo Weller). I think the Weller 12yo is a mix(or last I heard it was) of either Bernhiem or S-W and BT wheat.

I might be a little off on the latter but the first part shoud be correct.

TimmyBoston
08-02-2006, 23:44
Not Bourbon, but I did pick up a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail. Any Scotch fans out there, this is a good one. A peat monster, but a gentle, complex giant.

tmas
08-03-2006, 00:22
I picked up a lone bottle of Evan Williams SB '95 I spotted today. But what really impressed me is what I DIDN'T BUY! The new WT Russel's Reserve 90 proof for $34.00! Just seems kind of wierd that WT lowered the proof and raised the price, or maybe the liquor stores are just charging more because they have this "new and improved" item to sell? Either way, it doesn't seem to work out too well for the consumer. Tom V

Ubertaster
08-03-2006, 16:30
I picked up two bottles of Old Rip Van Winkle 15yo today for the bunker. :grin: I thought they were long gone by now. I have a PVW 15yo open so won't open one of these until that is gone.

bj

Nebraska
08-03-2006, 21:48
A strange find, a bottle (the only one I've seen locally) Hancock's reserve SB and a bottle of Henry Mckenna 10yo SB.

Sijan
08-09-2006, 22:35
I did some dusty bottles shopping in Baytown, TX (near Houston) today while out seeing the Houston ship channel and San Jacinto battlefield.

Found a 1.75L bottle of Ancient Age Bottled in Bond (never seen this before, didn't know it existed). Interestingly, the labels on the bottle do NOT disclose the DSP where it was distilled and bottled (obviously Buffalo Trace), which I had thought was required of BIB bourbons?

Also found a 375ml bottle of Rebel Yell with an old label that has a confederate cavalryman with a sword drawn. It is 90 proof and announces that is it "Especially for THE DEEP SOUTH." Says it was distilled, aged and bottled at the "Rebel Yell Distillery" in Louisville, KY. The copyright date on the label is 1974, but the tax strip doesn't seem very official looking. One of the numbers on the bottom of the bottle is 87, so perhaps this was bottled in 1987? Also, it does have a UPC code on the back of it, so that helps with dating it too, I think.

Got a 200ml bottle of Old Charter Bottled in Bond that has a faux tax stamp with the dates Fall 1975 and Spring 1984 on it. The back of the bottle states it is 7 years old, distilled at DSP-KY-2, bottled at DSP-IND-2.

Also got a bottle of Old Forester 100 proof with the old square label.

Picked up two mini bottles of EWSB 1995 - haven't ever seen EWSB minis before, so picked them up for the novelty.

Also found a large cache of ER101 at two different liquor stores on Garth Rd in Baytown, TX. Only picked up one 750ml bottle, but there were also liter bottles and 1.75L bottles. Plenty of this stuff is still out there if you're looking for it.

I saw, but did not pick up, an Eagle Rare decanter that was a ceramic eagle at one of the two liquor stores. They were trying to sell it for $200. Don't know much more about it as it was high up on a shelf behind the counter and the lady was not interested in getting it down for me to look at.

kbuzbee
08-10-2006, 07:16
I picked up a lone bottle of Evan Williams SB '95 I spotted today. But what really impressed me is what I DIDN'T BUY! The new WT Russel's Reserve 90 proof for $34.00! Just seems kind of wierd that WT lowered the proof and raised the price, or maybe the liquor stores are just charging more because they have this "new and improved" item to sell? Either way, it doesn't seem to work out too well for the consumer. Tom V

While I agree in principle, I've tried the new RR and it's very good. If you'd never known RR101 you'd probably like it AND probably not even care about the price but having had slightly better for slightly less.... Well, you get my point. It's a shame this very good Bourbon often gets overlooked (even by me) because of it's predecessor....

Ken

Brennan77
08-11-2006, 21:46
While I agree in principle, I've tried the new RR and it's very good. If you'd never known RR101 you'd probably like it AND probably not even care about the price but having had slightly better for slightly less.... Well, you get my point. It's a shame this very good Bourbon often gets overlooked (even by me) because of it's predecessor....

Ken

Agreed. I revisited the 90 proof RR yesterday and really thought it a nice pour.

As to what I bought today....I put aside a set of the BT Experimental Collection. 3 of us at work will be buying each a one, and we'll compare and contrast together. Should be fun.

CrispyCritter
08-14-2006, 21:40
As irrational as it may be, I've resisted getting RR 90 so far. The main issue for me is that it is the same price as RR 101, and, frankly, I feel the paying the same price for a lower-proof bottling is a ripoff. Even if it is a good pour, IMO it shouldn't cost as much if it's at a lower proof (especially since both versions are NAS).

Edward_call_me_Ed
08-14-2006, 23:18
Yesterday I picked up a couple of bottes of Old Grand Dad BIB. I have never had this before and really liked it. I liked the price, too. 1850 yen, just 100 yen more than the OGD 86 (tall bottle-orange label) sitting right next to it. I also got a bottle of Old Rip Van Winckle 10 yo 90 proof. That is a back up to an open bottle that I rarely visit since it is all I have and difficult to replace around here.

Not bourbon, but I got a bottle of Noilly Pratt french dry vermoth. Made a martini with it and liked it a lot. MUCH better than the stuff I had tried before, which I now think wasn't a vermoth.
Ed

Brennan77
08-14-2006, 23:27
As irrational as it may be, I've resisted getting RR 90 so far. The main issue for me is that it is the same price as RR 101, and, frankly, I feel the paying the same price for a lower-proof bottling is a ripoff. Even if it is a good pour, IMO it shouldn't cost as much if it's at a lower proof (especially since both versions are NAS).

It's not on my shelf now, but after trying it at work, I won't hesitate to replace my 101 with the 90 proof version. At first I thought the finish was a little weak, but all in all it's still a good pour for the price.

TnSquire
08-15-2006, 18:53
Today I bought a bottle of Ancient Age 107.

BourbonJoe
08-15-2006, 19:08
Today I bought a bottle of Ancient Age 107.

Ancient Age 107 or Weller "Antique" 107? I never heard of AA 107.

TNbourbon
08-15-2006, 19:15
Ancient Age 107 or Weller "Antique" 107? I never heard of AA 107.

Ancient Age Barrel 107

TnSquire
08-15-2006, 19:26
Thats the one. I cracked it. It tastes like a hotter version of aaa. I wish I had a better tasting vocabulary.

BourbonJoe
08-15-2006, 19:37
I stand corrected. Is this stuff old or new product? I've never seen it.

TnSquire
08-15-2006, 19:40
its an older bottle. It was the first time I had ever seen it. Its funny when you start paying attention to stuff on the shelves how many different labels there are.

Sijan
08-15-2006, 20:02
I wish I could find that stuff - it's been out of production for awhile now, I think. Puts my AA BIB to shame.

gr8erdane
08-16-2006, 10:14
Made my first bourbon purchase here in Longmont, CO while I'm on IBM's dime at the Residence Inn. The closest liquor store had a decent but rather normal selection. My travelling partner selected EC 12 and OGD 114 for his kitchenette and I opted for ER SB and ETL. We figure to have these bottles empty before we take off for home on the 26th.....

Geo
08-16-2006, 19:34
Old Weller 107 Antique (2)
Old Grand Dad 114 (1)

Next week:

Old Weller 107 Antique (ok, its my regular pour.... :))
Pappy 15 yr

Geo
08-16-2006, 19:39
Geo, What size glass are we talking about? Make mine biggie sized!

I have a Bourbon Tasting Glass similar to the Riedel. I usually pour 2-3 ounces a time.

Nebraska
08-16-2006, 19:57
After visiting the Iowa State Fair today (go butter cow), I picked up a bottle of Old Fitz 12yo, George Dickel 10yo SR, and AAA (unfortunately 10 star). Tasted the 10 star, I thought it was alright, although I've never had the 10yo to compare it to.

All in all a great day. My 4 yo professed her undying love for me after consuming 2 corn dogs, 1 cup of Iowa Dairy Barn ice cream, 4 pieces of fresh pulled taffy, half a pork chop on a stick, riding the spinning dragon (and not throwing up) and seeing Clifford the Big Red Dog and a dancing jelly bean singing "Summer nights" (from Grease). It doesn't get any better than that.

I took alot of pictures so someday when she's a teenager I can remind her we really had a blast together.

SBOmarc
08-16-2006, 20:40
Made my first bourbon purchase here in Longmont, CO while I'm on IBM's dime at the Residence Inn. The closest liquor store had a decent but rather normal selection. My travelling partner selected EC 12 and OGD 114 for his kitchenette and I opted for ER SB and ETL. We figure to have these bottles empty before we take off for home on the 26th.....

10 Days, 4 Bottles.

Need any help?

barturtle
08-16-2006, 20:52
10 Days, 4 Bottles.

Need any help?

2 People

I think he's a bottle short

bluesbassdad
08-17-2006, 03:05
:grin: :grin: :grin:

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

TnSquire
08-17-2006, 15:13
Today I found a Mckenna, BIB Sb with a 1992 barreled date. Bought it.

DrinkyBanjo
08-17-2006, 16:20
I was going to pick one of those up a Lenells but I went for the ceramic jug instead. Any opinions on the differences between the two expressions? I've yet to open my jug.

tsangster
08-17-2006, 16:57
Found 1 bottle of ORVW 10YO 107 proof and a few bottles of Dickel Barrel Select. Store now has no ORVW and 1 less bottle of Barrel Select.

The Dickel is right tasty.

TnSquire
08-19-2006, 16:28
I was going to pick one of those up a Lenells but I went for the ceramic jug instead. Any opinions on the differences between the two expressions? I've yet to open my jug.

I havent opened it yet and I havent seen any jugs so I dont know if there is a difference. Im opening the bottle tonite.

TnSquire
08-19-2006, 16:30
I wish I could find that stuff - it's been out of production for awhile now, I think. Puts my AA BIB to shame.

Dan, I havent tried AA BIB so I dont know what its like. As a matter of fact, I dont know that I have ever seen it. Are you planning on coming to the fest?

Sijan
08-19-2006, 17:09
Dan, I havent tried AA BIB so I dont know what its like. As a matter of fact, I dont know that I have ever seen it. Are you planning on coming to the fest?

I would like to, but I'm probably not going to be able to make it, as I'll just be starting work on Sept. 5. It's possible, but pretty unlikely, that I'll be able to put something together last-minute to come down for just the weekend, but more likely I'll be down for the sampler in the spring.

Of course, getting the AA BIB to KY is another matter altogether. Due to the recent carry-on restrictions, I am leaving it at my girlfriends apartment in Austin, TX for the time being, along with some wine and other bourbon.

smokinjoe
08-22-2006, 12:28
Today started off really sucky. Printer/fax not working. Cell phone not working. Trip to dentist to replace old filling. But, things turned around when I stopped into a store close to the dentist and picked up 1 WT12 y/o Gold Foil and 1 WT12 Split Label. Things are turning around!!

JOE

Big Chipper
08-22-2006, 13:00
Just got another bottle of 1969 Old Cabin Still 6-yr old Stitzel Weller off eBay. I hope it's as good as the last one.

luv2hunt
08-22-2006, 16:07
Now Joe.....don't you be bringing that to the Gazebo to trade! Like I told you before.......DRINK IT!

Dawn

smokinjoe
08-22-2006, 16:28
Now Joe.....don't you be bringing that to the Gazebo to trade! Like I told you before.......DRINK IT!

Dawn
Dawn, you know me, if you wait long enough I'll probably start giving them away!:D:D See you there!

JOE

TnSquire
08-23-2006, 20:10
Today I bought a EW 1783, an Old Charter BIB and an Old Forrester BIB.

smokinjoe
08-26-2006, 07:39
I need to go to Vegas. My luck's running good. Had an appointment with a customer yesterday on the East side of Atlanta, and needed to get off the Perimeter and get gas. I spot a liquor store that I've never been in, about a block away. After filling up, went to it, and much to my delight, was able to grab 2 bottles of WT12 and an EWSB 94 (one of my personal favorites). This week I've nabbed 4 WT12's, just by dumb luck. I see Delta can get me there for $378. :D

JOE

cowdery
08-26-2006, 14:54

They should be quite different. At that time, the jugs were for export and were Four Roses whiskey, while the bottles would be Heaven Hill whiskey.

cowdery
08-26-2006, 14:59
Today I bought a EW 1783, an Old Charter BIB and an Old Forrester BIB.

I had been under the impression that the 100 proof Old Forester was in fact BIB even though it isn't labeled that way, but I just learned that it is not. They use whiskey from different seasons to make the profile, so it's not legally a bond.

I also learned that Old Forester, unlike some other brands that offer different proofs, has a different profile for the 100 proof (now re-branded as Old Forester Signature). In other words, while most brands just dilute the same whiskey to different levels to get the different proofs, Old Forester 86 proof and Old Forester Signature (100 proof) are different whiskeys in terms of barrel selection and profile.

cowdery
08-26-2006, 15:05
I just returned from a quick trip to Louisville where I bought the following at Liquor Barn (Fern Valley).

Mellow Corn (Corn Whiskey)
Very Old Barton BIB
Old Grand-Dad BIB
Old Charter 12-yr.
Four Roses Single Barrel

I also picked up a six-pack of Ale-8-One, a local Kentucky brand of ginger ale.

The Liquor Barn stores usually have the best prices and best selection in town, so I was surprised that they do not have any of the Rittenhouse ryes, which are easy to find here in Chicago. Is is possible they aren't being distributed in Kentucky?

They do have the Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye, at $50 a bottle.

luv2hunt
08-26-2006, 15:29
My boss wanted me to pick up a bottle of Stagg, which around here is only available on the north side of town, so I had an excuse to be shopping! I grabbed his Stagg, but also grabbed 4 Old Fitz BIB - DSP KY 16 :)

Dawn

Virus_Of_Life
08-26-2006, 22:25
I can tell you what I didn't purcahse because it seems to have completely disappeared around here and that is Sazerac Jr. I have been wanting to drink some and not wanting to open the only 1 I have; I searched HiTime and Bevmo who both not too long ago had an abundance of it, now, none. Also the Antique Collection seems long gone also now, this seems to have happened all in the stretch of the last 6 - 8 weeks, I must wonder did someone around here just stock pile a bunker? Because I recall not two months ago seeing GTS, ER17 and even Saz18 in every Bevmo I went into!

Anyway, so I did buy another of those old IW Harpers the 86 proofer, to take to my buddy in Oregon next week for his Birthday. I think he's going to like it and want me to buy the rest of them...

Oh yeah and a bottle of Herradura Blanco Tequila :yum: crap is that good stuff! About a teaspoon of freshed squeezed lime and ~2oz. of that in my Reidel bourbon glass and yummo! (as Rachael Ray would say). I think I have not been wanting bourbon as much maybe due to the fact that I am so bummed about missing the festival... Next year I guess...

FlashPuppy
08-27-2006, 10:29
Wnet Turkey hunting yesterday. Got two bottles of 101, a new KS, three rare breeds and two WTRR 101. Got a nice discount because of the volume purchase. Hey, any exscuse, right?

SBOmarc
08-27-2006, 10:50
Two bottles of Rock Hill Farms.

Special Reserve
08-27-2006, 12:27
My bourbon slush fund received a deposit so I had to buy a Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B. Looking forward to opening it next Saturday evening following a football victory.

jburlowski
08-27-2006, 14:59
Replenishing my stocks to replace some bottles recently finished:

OGD 114
Noah's Mill
Weller 107

photogjunkie
08-27-2006, 17:57
Found a 1.75L of Heaven Hill 86 Proof yesterday. Haven't seen this before as it was a very dusty bottle from the mid-90's. Cost was only $16.50.

Passed on a Wild Turkey 12 year old Gold Foil, for now, because I didn't have the enough cash on me and stupid me left the credit cards at home. I'll go back and get it tomorrow. It was $55.00, which is fair.

TnSquire
08-27-2006, 20:08
I had been under the impression that the 100 proof Old Forester was in fact BIB even though it isn't labeled that way, but I just learned that it is not. They use whiskey from different seasons to make the profile, so it's not legally a bond.

I also learned that Old Forester, unlike some other brands that offer different proofs, has a different profile for the 100 proof (now re-branded as Old Forester Signature). In other words, while most brands just dilute the same whiskey to different levels to get the different proofs, Old Forester 86 proof and Old Forester Signature (100 proof) are different whiskeys in terms of barrel selection and profile.

I havent cracked the Forester. It is marked BIB though. Thats good info to know about the different profiles. I just thought they cut to proof down to 86. I wonder if anyone else does that?

cowdery
08-27-2006, 22:01
I havent cracked the Forester. It is marked BIB though. Thats good info to know about the different profiles. I just thought they cut to proof down to 86. I wonder if anyone else does that?

I should have said the 100 proof OF is no longer BIB. I think they dropped it five or six years ago.

cowdery
08-27-2006, 22:03
I can tell you what I didn't purcahse because it seems to have completely disappeared around here and that is Sazerac Jr. I have been wanting to drink some and not wanting to open the only 1 I have; I searched HiTime and Bevmo who both not too long ago had an abundance of it, now, none.

Interesting. I had hoped to acquire the Saz Jr. on my trip to Louisville. Liquor Barn had a space for it on the shelf, but the shelf was bare. Wonder what gives?

contrarian
08-27-2006, 23:19
Guys, I just bought a bottle of Saz Jr from Binny's last week that arrived Friday. Call the Whisky Hotline....

Jeff

Ubertaster
08-28-2006, 07:48
I just bought and tried Old Charter Proprietors Reserve for the first time. This is a definite keeper. Very nice.

bj

SBOmarc
08-28-2006, 16:22
Wild Turkey RR 101, 2 bottles. Just for grins added 2 ETL's.

Chris's description of the current inventory at BevMo is spot on. No Antique Collection selections, and that is a surprise.

smokinjoe
08-28-2006, 16:48
Realized I was out of Maker's Mark, and I always like to have it around. Although, I don't go to it often, it was the first bourbon I really drank with any regularity and I continue to enjoy it very much. So, I on occasion, I just like to go back to mama.:):):)

JOE

barturtle
08-28-2006, 16:58
Okay guys, due to the reports of a lack of availability of Saz Jr., I went and picked up a few to bring to the KBF. Trades of comparable value accepted. I left a few more on the shelf, so PM me as I can pick up more, if needed. I figure there is no big loss if I get stuck with it, as I really like it.

chasking
08-29-2006, 08:57
Well, it wasn't today and it wasn't bourbon, but on Saturday I picked up a bottle of the KDB 21 year old rye. I'm keen to compare it to the Rittenhouse 21yo when it shows up. Somebody speculated that they may in fact be the same whiskey, which would be pretty cool because the KBD rye was cheaper than the Rittenhouse is projected to be, at least at my local Binny's.

Bamber
08-29-2006, 09:07
WT 12yo X 2
WT RR 101 X 4
Blanton CS (133.5 proof !)

I plan to keep 2 bottles of the RR for a while. The rest are to be lined up and drunk :)

darkluna
08-29-2006, 12:17
My pickups from yesterday:

ORVW 10/107 ~$28.50
Ancient Ancient Age 10 yr ~$16.50

Also saw Sazerac Jr on the shelves here for the 1st time, ~$30/bottle, but I didn't pick it up

BourbonJoe
08-29-2006, 13:47
Also saw Sazerac Jr on the shelves here for the 1st time

And where would "here" be?

darkluna
08-29-2006, 14:04
And where would "here" be?

Sorry, thought my location was in my user-info. Here is the wonderful land of Oregon, with our not-as-wonderful state-controlled liquor stores.

BourbonJoe
08-29-2006, 14:13
with our not-as-wonderful state-controlled liquor stores.

I feel your pain. We got em too in PA. :hot:

cowdery
08-29-2006, 14:31
Well, it wasn't today and it wasn't bourbon, but on Saturday I picked up a bottle of the KDB 21 year old rye. I'm keen to compare it to the Rittenhouse 21yo when it shows up. Somebody speculated that they may in fact be the same whiskey, which would be pretty cool because the KBD rye was cheaper than the Rittenhouse is projected to be, at least at my local Binny's.

I just learned today that Heaven Hill's 21-year-old rye is not the same as the KBD rye, which they have bottled for several people, but in a sense they are both Rittenhouse. The KBD stock is the same whiskey Julian bottled as his family reserve rye, which was made by Medley when they owned the Rittenhouse brand.

wadewood
08-29-2006, 15:11
My pickups from yesterday:

ORVW 10/107 ~$28.50
Ancient Ancient Age 10 yr ~$16.50

Also saw Sazerac Jr on the shelves here for the 1st time, ~$30/bottle, but I didn't pick it up

Are you sure the Ancient Ancient Age was the 10 year old and not the 10 Star version? Huge difference between those 2 and I did not think the 10 year was sold much outside KY and Binny's.

TnSquire
08-29-2006, 20:05
I bought OGD BIB with the fake tax strip and a TN state tax shoulder sticker on it. I also got a .5 pint of Weller Special Reserve with the Louisville label. I am looking forward to trying it.

Funny story. A homeless guy hit me up for two bucks to buy a half pint of LTD. I didnt have the cash but told him if he would follow me back in the store I would buy him one. They would only let me put 8 bucks on the card so I bought him two pints. The liquor store owner couldnt believe it and told me that guy had hit the lottery. That fella had a bigger smile on his face than my 5yo at christmas.

Nebraska
08-29-2006, 20:11
Running low on Weller 12yo so I went to order from Binny's. $22.99 a bottle...ouch!:smiley_acbt: Never ordered from Sam's before, but I did tonight. Would much rather pay $17.99 than $22.99.

Bamber
08-30-2006, 08:20
WT 12yo X 2
WT RR 101 X 4
Blanton CS (133.5 proof !)

I plan to keep 2 bottles of the RR for a while. The rest are to be lined up and drunk :)

Just got emailed to say they cancelled my order :(

chasking
08-30-2006, 10:44
Running low on Weller 12yo so I went to order from Binny's. $22.99 a bottle...ouch!:smiley_acbt: Never ordered from Sam's before, but I did tonight. Would much rather pay $17.99 than $22.99.

I noticed that on the shelf at Binny's, too. It's the new bottle, I think---they're trying to push it up-market. Actually, the 12yo was probably a little under-priced but that doesn't make it any more pleasant to pay more for it.

Nebraska
08-30-2006, 17:33
I ordered a case of Rittenhouse Rye 100 on the same day from Binny's. I haven't received notice of shipping, are they still out?

darkluna
08-31-2006, 11:56
Are you sure the Ancient Ancient Age was the 10 year old and not the 10 Star version? Huge difference between those 2 and I did not think the 10 year was sold much outside KY and Binny's.
The label reads "Full Ten (10) Years Old" as pictured here:

I've only seen it on the shelves this one time, it was probably a special-order item

Virus_Of_Life
08-31-2006, 13:16
Well I am in Oregon right now, getting ready to head down to Lebanon from Canby and will have to swing by the greatest liquor store I have found in this state which strangely enough resides in Albany. There I can pick up one of the greatest values going, IMO, Buffalo Trace and will be bring that back up here to Canby for a BBQ this weekend. It's only right you know to have Buffalo Trace with BBQ'd Buffalo steaks (technically Bison, but everyone calls them buffalo...). Watching them graze as I type, I'll post a picture of them later.

Why is it again that I don't live here? :skep:

DrinkyBanjo
09-01-2006, 22:04
Today I purchase ETL for a buddy and Evan Williams 1783 for me. I also purchased Glenfarclas 105 for me too! The seasons are starting to change and I think I'll be sampling some more Scotch. This is supposed to be a dosie so I'm looking forward to it.

bigtoys
09-01-2006, 22:20
15% off spirits at Sam's today!!!
Bought Hirsch 16 yr old, Rowan's Creek and a spare bottle of Pappy 15 yr old. Probably should have bought a Pappy 20, but it would be a second spare!

Also splurged on two 30 yr old single malts: Highland Park and Bowmore.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/drkeng/HPB30s.jpg

DrinkyBanjo
09-01-2006, 22:25
This is what I would call a good day!

barturtle
09-02-2006, 01:54
Wow! I've had no more than a sip of the 30yo HP and never the Bowmore. If you're coming to the KBF bring these to the Gazebo, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only person interested in them.

Luckily bourbon never takes that long to reach perfection, but the scotches that do are wonderful.

Hillbilly
09-02-2006, 10:45
I stopped by the ABC store at the other end of the county that I haven't paid a visit to lately, strolled over to the WT section and lo and behold, two bottles of RR 101 10yr were sitting there!! Needless to say, I grabbed those two beauties in a heartbeat.

The 90 proof is a very fine bouron, but why WT messed with a classic like the Russel Reserve 101 is beyond me. I'll try to nurse these two bottles as long as I can.

Virus_Of_Life
09-03-2006, 22:58
Sorry, thought my location was in my user-info. Here is the wonderful land of Oregon, with our not-as-wonderful state-controlled liquor stores.

Hey Darkluna, not sure what part of Oregon you are in, but I hit a few liquor stores this past weekend and I have to say as with just about any state Oregon has good points and bad points. Yeah the overall variety isn't the best, BUT I have seen Buffalo Trace in 3 liquor stores that I was in; Tigard, Tualatin and Albany, you can find that in exatly 0 stores in California that I am aware of. Also in Tigard there were 3 bottles of Pappy 23 year for $233 each, that's $17 less than I got mine for in Cali also had Ezra B 12 year that I have never seen, plus the tax that would be saved! In albany they also have Rittenhouse Rye that I also have never seen in Cali, anyway moral of the story; when it comes to liquor you will always have good points and bad points - all in all, I think I'd take Oregon over Cali anyday.... CHEERS!

luv2hunt
09-04-2006, 08:48
Found myself heading to the KBF with no pre-arranged trades, and no trade goods to take along unless I went shopping. So I went shopping :) I picked up 2 bottles of 12yo WT Split label, 2-2002 ER 17, and 2-2002 Sazarac 18.

Dawn

SBOmarc
09-04-2006, 08:54
Found myself heading to the KBF with no pre-arranged trades, and no trade goods to take along unless I went shopping. So I went shopping :) I picked up 2 bottles of 12yo WT Split label, 2-2002 ER 17, and 2-2002 Sazarac 18.

Dawn

Wow, now THAT is some shopping!

Makes my purchace of Weller 107 and a couple of VW Lot B's a bit wanting.

photogjunkie
09-04-2006, 09:38
Had a bit of luck playing Bingo on Friday night, so I spent my windfall bingo bucks on bourbon stock. So the prizes were:

A. H. Hirsh 16 (Frankfort)

Wild Turkey Tribute 15

Black Maple Hill 14 (Original)

Old Rip Van Winkle 15

W. L. Weller Centennial 10 (Heritage Collection)

Old Taylor 86 (Nationial Distillers Frankfort)

barturtle
09-04-2006, 12:17
A trip to Houston this weekend netted Van WInkle Rye (lot H) a bottle of Rare Breed and something that is going to be a lot of fun playing with in my manhattens:a bottle of blood orange bitters.

Had a wonderful time visiting with Randy Blank and his friends while I was there too.

TomH
09-04-2006, 20:49
We visited friends in Chicago today so a quick stop in Binny's and Sam's was mandatory.

As we went into Binny's my wife was expressing her concern about the amount of bourbon I have recently purchased. As a considerate husband, I told her that I would cut back on my bourbon purchases, so I picked up a bottle of 10 year old Michter's Rye and a bottle of bottle of 18 year old Black Maple Hill Rye. I really hope she appreciates the sacrifices I'm making <G>

I did backslide at Sam's and picked up 2 bottles of 12 year old W.L. Weller (but justified it based upon Binny's recent price increase and wanting to get a couple of bottles before any potential price change at Sam's).

Also picked up a few bottles of American wine since today they were 15% off.

Tom

TnSquire
09-06-2006, 17:39
Today I picked up a bottle of Weller 107 (louisville) left one on the shelf and am going back to get it. They also had two bottles of 02 birthday bourbon and a bottle of old charter Prop. Reserve.

Edited: Popped the top...oh my. No wonder you guys like this. Its quiet tasty!

nor02lei
09-07-2006, 09:15
So far this is the bottles I have picked up here in Louisville:
OFBB 2006
4 roses small batch
Michters 10 rye
Vintage rye 21 (have seen the 23 as well)
Rittenhouse BIB
BT experimental twice barrelled (0,375)
Forester 100 (0.20)
VOB 100 (0.20)

I have looked for Stagg and older OFBB versions but no luck so far.

Leif

Gillman
09-07-2006, 09:39
Sounds like you are here already, Leif.

Just curious what your impressions are of Louisville, KY, U.S. in general.

Any surprises or things you thought would be different?

(I can't recall if you had travelled to the U.S. before).

Gary

TnSquire
09-07-2006, 16:23
Leif,

I think I was told you are coming to nashville. If you do I can hook you up with some 2002 Birthday Bourbon. There are still a couple of stores here that have it.

Joel

smokinjoe
09-07-2006, 16:47
Just returned from a trip to Tennessee. Came away with a Tribute, Weller Centennial (Louisville), 2 Rittenhouse BIB, 1 Rittenhouse 80, 2 Pikesville Rye, and 1 Buffalo Trace. Tennessee is loaded with good stuff. Thank goodness I don't live there--I'd be broke!:D

JOE

nor02lei
09-08-2006, 05:30
Sounds like you are here already, Leif.

Just curious what your impressions are of Louisville, KY, U.S. in general.

Any surprises or things you thought would be different?

(I can't recall if you had travelled to the U.S. before).

Gary

Gary,

I have been to USA ones before. It was to Atlanta 1996. However so far I think many things are different here in Louisville 2006. The American cuisine was a real disappointment despite relatively low expectations back than, but more or less a success so far here in Louisville. Not to talk about the beer. Completely mind-blowing! We got some good American beer in Sweden as well, but it seem that the best are kept here.
Some things are the same like the hospitality and the coffee that taste like dark water. The later was real surprising considering the development in brewing skills.
I have already been to 3 distillery visits (HH, Woodford and BF) and they are all over my expectations. I did learn much more than I had thought. Especially Chris Morris told me things that sat many things that I thought I knew in a completely different direction. I hope to come back to the visits later.
When it comes to liquor stores I did find the bourbon assortment a little smaller than expected and the beer much bigger. Prices are as I thought on premium brands but lower on simpler ones.
The general price level are quit a bit lower here than back home in the same pattern as in 1996. Both times due to the temporary low dollar rate.
Not surprisingly the only problem is the transportations. The tarc buss system donít work as well as I though. Itís no easy task to drive inside Louisville, but relatively easy on the countryside. Taxi is only 30-40 % of Swedish rate but it is long distance here so itís a bit pricey still.
And there has been one miscalculate. The rent car did cost me more than double due to the fact that I did have to take insurance.
Luckily I have had the privilege to tour around the city with Charles (cubacroc) in his car a couple of times. He has showed me around quit a bit.
Today I am going to 4 roses warehouses in Coxís Creek.

Leif

nor02lei
09-08-2006, 05:38
Leif,

I think I was told you are coming to nashville. If you do I can hook you up with some 2002 Birthday Bourbon. There are still a couple of stores here that have it.

Joel

Joel,

I think I will go thru Nashville on my way to/from JD/Dickel. I am interested in OFBB 2002. I will give you a pm when I know more about my Tennessee trip September 21-22.

Leif

TnSquire
09-08-2006, 06:45
Great you let me know when you are going to be coming thru. Also let me know when you are going to be at Jack Daniels.

TnSquire
09-08-2006, 22:59
Today I bought the I.W. Harper and the Old Charter Prop Reserve.....both Bourbon Heritage and both Louisville.

nor02lei
09-09-2006, 16:02
I did struck lucky today and found one bottle of OFBB 2005 in a wine speciality liquor store on Bardstown road here in Louisville. If I find one more somewhere else I will open it at ones and try it side by side with the 2006.

Leif

gothbat
09-10-2006, 02:27
A somewhat rare opurtunity presented itself to me today and I bought myself something nice. I probably overpaid but hey, it's my birthday soon and I could think of no better present to myself. :)

edit: Must have been later than I thought when I typed that because I forgot to include the name of the bourbon, it was a 2004 Stagg.

SBOmarc
09-10-2006, 21:22
Old Forester Birthday Spring 1990. Have not been successful locating it up till now.

What am I going to find when I pop the cork?

Edward_call_me_Ed
09-11-2006, 04:08
Today I purchase ETL for a buddy and Evan Williams 1783 for me. I also purchased Glenfarclas 105 for me too! The seasons are starting to change and I think I'll be sampling some more Scotch. This is supposed to be a dosie so I'm looking forward to it.

Oh, the 105 is wonderful! Real Serry Monster! I have to get another bottle, I have one open, but since it is low it is too precious to drink. With a backup I will be able to retire this old friend.
Ed

photogjunkie
09-11-2006, 09:28
This Saturday I was in Houston and I picked up a liter of Buffalo Trace and also came upon a dusty 1.75 liter bottle of Eagle Rare 101 (New Orleans) and ,of course, I had to take that home with me too.

TnSquire
09-12-2006, 17:41
I bought a bottle of eagle rare 101.

I left ...
Old Granddad BIB from Dsp 14 with tax stamps
Old Forester BIB with the older label.
AA with the funny looking bottle that has the big AA on the front. Tax strips
Rebel YEll with the faux tax strip.
Stagg
ORVW 15yo
Family Reserve Rye
Sazerac 18yo rye
Old Weller 12 yo
Old weller 107 louisville
Old weller spec reserve louisville
Old weller 107 with a red velvet bag (louisville)

and a bunch other stuff that is escaping my mind right now.

Special Reserve
09-12-2006, 18:43
I bought a bottle of eagle rare 101.

I left two bottles of Eagle Rare at 26.95 + tax on the shelf but I picked up a PVW 23 for the price of PVW 20.

This leads to at least two morale dilemmas. The first: should I lay my head on the pillow tonight know I got a great deal? Or should I say I know this is wrong and should tell the store owner that he is charging the wrong price? Second what is the proper occasion to open this find? It Tuesday night and I want to sample this? The Wolverines beats the Bucks in the Shoe? The daughter is bestowed her PhD, it's Thanksgiving and I have lots to be thankful for?

I need your guidance.

Will

cowdery
09-12-2006, 19:01
You better think of something other than the Wolverines beating the Bucks in the Shoe, because you're going to want to drink that whiskey long before that happens.

Go Bucks!

CrispyCritter
09-12-2006, 20:56
The Wolverines beats the Bucks in the Shoe?
How about the Chicago Bears shutting out the Green Bay Packers - the first time that Brett Favre has ever been shut out? :slappin:

Trying to stay marginally on-topic: my last bourbon buy was OGD BIB... good bourbon < $20 = great buy.

Special Reserve
09-13-2006, 04:03
You better think of something other than the Wolverines beating the Bucks in the Shoe, because you're going to want to drink that whiskey long before that happens.

Go Bucks!

Chuck,

I'm not hopeful of this happening this year but you and I both know that it has happened before and this goes both ways.

Clearly Smith is a great college quarterback, but Ginn is not the Bucks best receiver, it's Gonzales. Ginn is good and gets all the pub, but Gonzales is the primary receiver.

Also I'm not thrilled with UM passing attack.

I'm in no hurry, another option (daughters PhD won't happen soon as she has 3 years of scholarship monies remaining).

Joeluka
09-13-2006, 04:40
I picked up a WT Rye, 3 WT RR101's and a Michter's US*1 Rye. The prices were hard to beat.

cowdery
09-13-2006, 09:49
Chuck,

I'm not hopeful of this happening this year but you and I both know that it has happened before and this goes both ways.

Clearly Smith is a great college quarterback, but Ginn is not the Bucks best receiver, it's Gonzales. Ginn is good and gets all the pub, but Gonzales is the primary receiver.

Also I'm not thrilled with UM passing attack.

I'm in no hurry, another option (daughters PhD won't happen soon as she has 3 years of scholarship monies remaining).

Oh, okay, if you want me to be reasonable on this subject, but where's the fun in that?

Gonzales is probably the better receiver whereas Ginn is probably the better all-around football player, primarily because of his speed.

Not too many years ago, under the previous OSU coaching regime, it went the "other way" more than a few consecutive years and people in Ann Arbor were starting to sneer (as only they can) that it really wasn't even a rivalry anymore. At least that has been put to rest.

(I actually have family and quite a few friends in Ann Arbor, even including a few in the UM Athletic Department, so this is all just good, clean fun.)

TnSquire
09-13-2006, 09:53
As a Tennessee fan the only thing I can say on this subject is if there was a way for them both to lose I would be all for it.:cool:

Special Reserve
09-13-2006, 14:31
Oh, okay, if you want me to be reasonable on this subject, but where's the fun in that?

Gonzales is probably the better receiver whereas Ginn is probably the better all-around football player, primarily because of his speed.

Not too many years ago, under the previous OSU coaching regime, it went the "other way" more than a few consecutive years and people in Ann Arbor were starting to sneer (as only they can) that it really wasn't even a rivalry anymore. At least that has been put to rest.

(I actually have family and quite a few friends in Ann Arbor, even including a few in the UM Athletic Department, so this is all just good, clean fun.)

Chuck,

Don't get me wrong Ginn is a good football player for the exact reason you cited.

I know both the euphoria of victory (69 and 97 for example) and the pain of a tie or a loss ( 73, 75, 91, 95). The days of keep Cooper are over. my wife works for UM and we now have employee tickets. The person who sit directly behind me is a Buckeye and comes to all the games in his Scarlet and Gray while his wife is in Maize and Blue (I'll bet it fun in that household).

Tressel is a great coach I was told this when he was hired by a friend who played for his dad it has proven to be true.

We still don't really know how good the OSU defense is as I thought that UT offensive scheme was terrible. Time will tell.

Will

Nebraska
09-13-2006, 18:36
An interesting bottle of Mccormack, 1977, owensboro.

WhiskeyJack
09-13-2006, 22:57
Picked me up a nice Sazerac 18 yr.old 2005 bottle just today. Right off the shelf settin' all by it's lonesome. Thought I was see'n things. A rare find in my neck of the woods. :grin:

Barrel_Proof
09-13-2006, 22:58
2006 Birthday Bourbon (and Kulsveen's 21yo and 23yo Vintage Ryes) in Louisville at 9:45 pm . . . the last stop on our 800 mile trip to the Festival! Sorry I missed the Gazebo tonight. See you all in a few hours!

WhiskeyJack
09-13-2006, 22:58
[quote=WhiskeyJack]Picked me up a nice Sazerac 18 yr.old 2005 bottle just today. Right off the shelf settin' all by it's lonesome. Thought I was see'n things. A rare find in my neck of the woods. :grin:

Ubertaster
09-14-2006, 08:29
Just picked up a fall 1990 and a fall 1993 birthday bourbon. I also picked up 2 Van Winkle 12yo for the bunker.

bj

jburlowski
09-15-2006, 11:19
Picked up a bottle of the new Four Roses small batch.

SBOmarc
09-15-2006, 17:11
EC 12, has been many months since my last taste. Looking forward to sipping from this one as I enjoyed the last bottle to the last drop.

CrispyCritter
09-15-2006, 22:20
I picked up a bottle of Jim Beam Black tonight. I didn't know where any proper liquor stores were near my hotel near Moline, IL, and wound up at a Jewel/Osco. Since I was already familiar with WT101, I thought I'd try something different, and JB Black was the something different. Good stuff! :drink:

There was not a whole lot going on in the bourbon aisle - and there was no way I'd try the "Origine" house brand after this thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4646). Worse, the Origine was more expensive than the JB Black, or even WT 101! :horseshit:

barturtle
09-16-2006, 02:46
Well I was out today to replenish my low end stock: VROHH, VOB 100 and AAA. That and several 6 packs of good beer to take back down south with me after the KBF.

photogjunkie
09-18-2006, 09:00
Was fortunate to find a dusty 1.75 liter of Old Fitzgerald BIB this weekend. One of my favorites and hard to locate around these parts.

Nebraska
09-18-2006, 12:47
Well I arrived home about 9pm last night and just finished unloading the last of my bottles a little while ago. It seemed like the back of the car should be bottoming out from all the bottles i brought home:lol: .

I filled several holes in my collection and will be able to try many new things.

AAA 10yo
VROHH
OHH BIB
VOB 80 6yo
VOB 100 6yo
Old Bardstown 10yo
VWFRR (thanks again Randy 2)
Four Roses
Four Roses Single Barrel
Four Roses Small Batch
OC 12yo
BTEC
LSMFT

There are others, but those are the highlights.

Should keep me busy for a while.

OscarV
09-18-2006, 13:18
Four Roses
Four Roses Single Barrel
Four Roses Small Batch
OC 12yo
BTEC
LSMFT

There are others, but those are the highlights.

Should keep me busy for a while.

Is this a stupid question, or did you put that in as a joke?
The "LSMFT" ? What is that?

I do remember from my childhood it standing for
Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco

Barrel_Proof
09-18-2006, 13:59
"LSMFT" = Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco

I'm with you on that one -- that's the only LSMFT in my memory!

Anyone remember this ad slogan?

"10, 2, and 4"

OscarV
09-18-2006, 14:34
There was one other, I remember from my young boyhood.
It goes like this;
Loose Strap Means Floppy T***y

this is an edit, after I saw the post,
I must say, this is embarrsing, remember it was when we were kids.

cowdery
09-18-2006, 16:50
I'm with you on that one -- that's the only LSMFT in my memory!

Anyone remember this ad slogan?

"10, 2, and 4"

Dr. Pepper.

Nebraska
09-18-2006, 17:32
You guys nailed it...just wanted to see if you were paying attention:lol:

HighTower
09-18-2006, 20:26
Picked me up a nice Sazerac 18 yr.old 2005 bottle just today. Right off the shelf settin' all by it's lonesome. Thought I was see'n things. A rare find in my neck of the woods. :grin:
Just out of interest ( and the fact that I want one) what does Sazerac 18 sell for in the US?? I'll be on the warpath when the 06 bottles are released - at the end of the month I believe!

TNbourbon
09-18-2006, 20:31
...what does Sazerac 18 sell for in the US?..

$50-$60, give or take a couple of dollars.

TnSquire
09-19-2006, 18:24
Today I bought the Louisville bottling of Weller Cent.

All I need now is the Dickle to have one of all the BHC.

Joeluka
09-23-2006, 13:21
I have to say that Brett Pontoni from Binny's is one of the most stand up retailer's in the business. He had a BETC put aside for me :bowdown: :bowdown: and he located 2 bottles of Stagg '04 for me:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: . What more can you ask for with a friendly call to see if the new OF BB came in. I bought that too and with my MaltAdvocate 5% off discount I also bought a Vintage Rye 21 and 23. This was a great surprise that will make my week for sure.

PS I pre-ordered my 06' BT Antique collection.

smokinjoe
09-27-2006, 18:00
I swore I wouldn't buy any more bourbon for awhile after returning with an SUV full of bourbon after KBF. But, I'm weak... Was in North Carolina yesterday on business and stopped in an ABC store with low expectations--just wanted to kill time before my next appointment. Well, they had to have ET Lee at $19. Why? Why couldn't it have been the usual $25? I would have just walked on by. Instead, Elmer sat in the back seat on the drive back home.
:toast:
JOE

ratcheer
09-27-2006, 19:20
Well, they had to have ET Lee at $19. Why? Why couldn't it have been the usual $25? I would have just walked on by. Instead, Elmer sat in the back seat on the drive back home.
JOE

Nice catch!

Tim

Old Bill
09-29-2006, 09:20
Today, picked up a bottle of Old Heaven Hill (B in B) for $12.50. I've tried the regular OHH, and its solid, good bourbon.

MikeDS
09-29-2006, 14:52
Buffalo Trace

Nebraska
09-29-2006, 17:10
It's a pretty neat bottle it comes in (the Buffalo Trace). The bubbled out neck and all. Always makes me feel like I'm reaching for a snort of red-eye from an old west bar. I always get in trouble though when I ask my wife do a little can-can and where we keep the spitoons.

ProofPositive
09-29-2006, 22:03
Tonight, I found a stray that needed a good home - Old Weller Antique, black velvet BHC bag, older style gold lace Weller bottle, old Louisville label......always a welcome friend in the keep.

TnSquire
10-01-2006, 15:56
While technically not today since I havent had the abillity to post in awhile.... in the last week....
Two bottles of ORVW 15year
OFBB-02
Bottle of Rebel Yell with a faux tax strip---any info appreciated

barturtle
10-01-2006, 17:13
Bottle of Rebel Yell with a faux tax strip---any info appreciated

Probably says Louisville on it...could be SW stock

Good finds on the ORVW. You can just never have enough of the 15yo.

TnSquire
10-01-2006, 17:31
It does say lousiville....I thought if might be bought it for 12.00!

I couldnt believe the ORVW. I had been looking and looking and then walked in and there was 2 bottles.

luv2hunt
10-01-2006, 19:12
Last weekend was my sister's wedding in Wisconsin and I bought a Blantons Gold, a Blanton's Straight from the Barrel and a Four Roses Super Premium.

No, these aren't available in Wisconsin :rolleyes: A family member living in London brought them to me. We've had the Blanton's Gold in the past and loved it, so I opened the Straight from the Barrel Bottle.....YUCK! Tasted like rubbing alcohol! I left the cork off for two days.....it's still bad!

Dawn

pete_d
10-01-2006, 20:00
a few days ago, Baker's 7. IMHO the raging-hot favourite in the small batch collection. In my limited experience of bourbons available down here in Australia, this one exemplifies what i think great bourbon is.

T47
10-01-2006, 22:43
Not today but yesterday...I picked up 3 bottles of Weller 12. 2 for me and one for a buddy at work that wanted to try it.
Only one store in WA appears to have it right now and it just happened to be right next to my son's college, which we were visiting. Lucky me. I look forward to opening the bottle tomorrow and giving it a try.
I would have tried it tonight but I finished off a bottle of ETL, which was low. Well at least it looked low...ended up with a pretty healthy pour to drown my Seahawk sorrows.

TNbourbon
10-02-2006, 15:23
No bourbon today, though I did arrange for an area retailer to hold a couple of 'comers' for me while I'm on vacation. While there, I spotted a Gordon & MacPhail Highland Park 12yo Cask Strength (58.1% abv) marked down to $59.99. As Highland Park is my favorite single malt -- and the CS was only $13 more than the 86-proofer -- I couldn't resist, so grabbed it.
In another store, I caught the last 500ml bottle of a SE Australia port from Rosemount called "Old Benson" -- solera-ized and averaging 10 years old, from grapes grown during 1979-1994, the lifespan of the vineyard master's late dog, Benson. Wine Spectator, for what it's worth, rated it 97. Under $28, after tax.
Then I came home to a decadent vacation afternoon, pouring a Lawson's Creek red ale at 4 in the afternoon!:shocked:. Not rated very highly, but I kinda like it. (That doesn't necessarily mean I'll buy it again, however.)

Nebraska
10-02-2006, 17:06
Finally purchased a back up bottle of Elijah Craig 18yo. The guy running the store actually said he was a bourbon fan! I think we are the only two currently in the state of Nebraska.

SBOmarc
10-02-2006, 17:50
2 ETL's with the Gold Wax and a 1.5 L Eagle Rare.

FlashPuppy
10-02-2006, 20:58
Well, today's shopping was very productive. I managed to pick up two bottles which I have been meaning to try, but haven't gotten around to yet, EC18 and a RHF. I also picked up three for the bunker, an EWSB 93 and two (more) bottles of WTRR101 I found. What a great day....:cool:

T47
10-02-2006, 22:04
I picked up a bottle of Blantons today (Dumped 5/20/06, 93 Proof, Barrel #153) This is one of those bottle's that I have always wanted to try but the price makes me shy away a little. But payday was good last week so I splurged. It is an interesting, maybe a little awkward bottle. I look forward to giving this a try at a later date as tonight I opened my Weller 12.

gothbat
10-03-2006, 19:08
Decided to feed the addiction and ordered some Fall 2005 Stagg to tide me over until the new release. I also threw in a bottle of Ancient Ancient Age, I've been meaning to try it for quite some time now. Needless to say I can't wait to receive this!

wadewood
10-03-2006, 21:29
Not today, but I'm flying to Cincinnati tomorrow and will hit a few places on the KY side. Maybe the 2006 BT Antique will be in the stores? If not, I will be snagging some of the new 4 Roses and/or 4 Roses SB and of course a Barton Very Old BIB. Might also buy the new OFBB. I love any chance to visit KY!

Then, I am heading to some work training in Richmond, Ind, flying back to Seattle on Saturday morning.

Edward_call_me_Ed
10-03-2006, 23:52
Finally purchased a back up bottle of Elijah Craig 18yo. The guy running the store actually said he was a bourbon fan! I think we are the only two currently in the state of Nebraska.
That will change when I get back home for a vacation later this month!
Ed

ProofPositive
10-04-2006, 00:59
Eagle Rare 90, single barrel/select barrel by local retailer....a newer store in town. The owner has excellent taste though and picked a fine barrel of ER from a trip last year to BT. So far, it is the best Eagle 90 that I have had by far. The owner said the barrel from which it came was actually 12yo instead of the normal approx age of 10. Apparently, he was right on the extra aging - at least on this bottle anyhow. It does make a difference and this one is a cut above my last bottle of same.

Edward_call_me_Ed
10-04-2006, 01:45
Not today but recent purchases include:
One ETL foil cap
One Olde Saint Nick Winter Rye (101 proof, I think it is nine years old)
Four bottles of AAA 10 year old. Cheap Under ten bucks US before tax
Two bottles of Eagle Rare 101 ten year old.
One bottle WT Rye.

For Margaritas:
One bottle of Cointrue
One bottle of lime juice
Herradura silver 100% agave
Tequila Reseva 1800 Reposado 100% agave

For Manhattans:
Angostura bitters
Hermes orange bitters

I promised my wife that I wouldn't buy any more this month, but I noticed I am dangerously short of WT Rare Breed...

Ed

T47
10-05-2006, 21:56
I am headed out tomorrow afternoon as we surprise my youngest with a trip to Disneyland. I am driving and hope to stop in at a store here and there and see if I can't come up with a surprise bottle for myself!
I am pretty bad about stopping and taking breaks on a long drive...now I have another reason besides restroom breaks for the family...Bourbon...another reason to love it!

ProofPositive
10-05-2006, 23:52
First, in a county north of my county of residence, I found a dusty box & bottle of the I.W. Harper 15yo of BHC fame. Second, on the way home after passing into my home county, I found an Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2002. I've read here that both are very good and well respected.

NorCalBoozer
10-06-2006, 01:32
crack em open. I heard the OFBB taste like Dickel.

photogjunkie
10-06-2006, 19:29
This week I have been on vacation and went to visit friends. On the way to and fro I stopped at about a dozen liquor stores looking for goodies. The verdict.

1-750ml Eagle Rare 17 (2000 vintage)
1-750ml Old Charter 12 (Louisville)
2-1.75L Old Fitzgerald BIB (DSP-16)
1-1.75L Old Forester BIB (DSP-414 Early '80s Tax Stamped)
4-200ml Old Charter 7 (Louisville Late '80s)
9-200ml Old Grand Dad 86 (National Distillers Tax Stamped)

The Old Grand Dad 86 are superb and the Old Fitzgerald BIB Stitzel Weller has always been one of my all time favorites. Haven't had time to open the Old Forester BIB yet. It was a buy at only $19.95. The dust was free.

Virus_Of_Life
10-07-2006, 01:00
I am headed out tomorrow afternoon as we surprise my youngest with a trip to Disneyland. I am driving and hope to stop in at a store here and there and see if I can't come up with a surprise bottle for myself!
I am pretty bad about stopping and taking breaks on a long drive...now I have another reason besides restroom breaks for the family...Bourbon...another reason to love it!

Todd, since I live a few minutes from Disneyland I can tell you that the Orange County area seems to have fewer finds than LA county, I think the simple fact the OC is in general newer than LA makes it so. In general though I think Ca. is like any other non-control state in that you just never know where you may find a gem... Have a good trip!

Perfect example; today I bought a Gold Wax Hirsch and a Weller Centennial Louisville label (SW). :grin: Pretty darn nice finds after a bad day at work...

mc185
10-07-2006, 08:07
I bought a bottle of lot b yesterday and poured some just now. Paid 45.99 a little high but I was able to get it locally. This is right up there with the PVWFR 20 year old and both are worth the price. Now I just need the 15 year old, already have the rye and thats a little too much for me being a newb, but the Van Winkle bourbons are great.

DrinkyBanjo
10-07-2006, 08:27
Anyone know when the next release of VWFRR will be?

BourbonJoe
10-07-2006, 08:31
I bought a bottle of lot b yesterday and poured some just now. Paid 45.99 a little high but I was able to get it locally.

If it was fresh, it was probably Bernheim whiskey. I'm glad to hear you liked it. I have many bottles of Lot B but all are Stitzel-Weller. I'll probably have to pick up a Bernheim to compare them.

Nebraska
10-07-2006, 13:52
Anyone know when the next release of VWFRR will be?

When I was at the Bourbonfest in Bardstown, I came home with a little over a case of this wonderful libation (I emptied the shelf). He said at that time they had just started receiving it in stock again (in Louisville).

barturtle
10-07-2006, 14:50
See Julians' post here (http://www.straightbourbon.com/ubbthreads-6.5/showthread.php?p=51837#post51837)

DrinkyBanjo
10-07-2006, 18:03
He says August and it's now October, anyone see any new bottles yet?

EricABQ
10-08-2006, 08:13
Saw a bottle of Pappy 15 on a shelf yesterday so I bought it. I think it is the first time I've seen the 15 here, so that was good. If that starts making regular appearances I won't have to go through the hassle of ordering online and having it shipped anymore.

smokinjoe
10-08-2006, 09:26
We had my daughters 8th birthday party with 18 of her friends at the local Build-A-Bear Workshop. :eek: When I got home, boy did I need a drink. :drink: One girl whacked her head on a shelf, another girl got pushed out of line for cutting in, and cried for 10 minutes, the Hannah Montana doll got pushed into the cake--knocked over the candles--and about burned down the mall. So daddy went to the corner package store to get a treat! Came across a WT Tribute signed by Jimmy Russell. :woohoo: Also, picked up some Samuel Adams Octoberfest beer (always drink it this time of year), some Sweetwater 420 Ale (Local micro done good) and a 6 pack of the Dominion Oak Barrel Stout. Put a pretty good dent in all of them except the Tribute. I put a dent in the one I have open. :D

JOE

Nebraska
10-08-2006, 09:39
Your a brave soul Joe, 19 eight year olds in a confined space. I shudder at knowing times like that are ahead. This morning my wife and I were discussing why when we adopted did we not think to ask for a mute child. We love her to death anyway.

Last night was poker night so I purchased a "Lot B" to take along, it of course was a hit with the boys.

Bamber
10-08-2006, 10:16
Blanton's Gold x 2
WT 12yo

Really looking forward to the Blantons. Have a bottle of the WT on the go at the moment anyway.

thecrackup
10-08-2006, 10:52
Wild Turkey 101.

SBOmarc
10-08-2006, 14:12
Another Old Forrester BDB

Van Wikle 15 yr

Weller 12.

All but the OF are first timers.

mc185
10-09-2006, 06:49
If it was fresh, it was probably Bernheim whiskey. I'm glad to hear you liked it. I have many bottles of Lot B but all are Stitzel-Weller. I'll probably have to pick up a Bernheim to compare them.

All of my van winkle bottles say Frankfort, KY. I noticed some labels on the internet say Lawrenceburg, KY are these the old ones?

BourbonJoe
10-09-2006, 06:53
All of my van winkle bottles say Frankfort, KY. I noticed some labels on the internet say Lawrenceburg, KY are these the old ones?

All of the Lawrenceburgs are S-W. Also some of the older Frankfort bottlings were also S-W, if they were purchased before July 2004 (or thereabouts). Tim Sousley would know for sure.

Edward_call_me_Ed
10-09-2006, 08:20
Blanton's Gold x 2
WT 12yo

Really looking forward to the Blantons. Have a bottle of the WT on the go at the moment anyway.

Looks like you have three (more) great bottles on your shelf!

Ed

Bamber
10-09-2006, 10:51
Cheers Ed.

JDutton
10-11-2006, 14:36
I was on vacation and found EC 18. I've never had it and can't get it here, so I bought a bottle, not knowing much about it. I haven't opened it yet and I'm a little nervous, because it seems to get some mixed reviews. I also wonder if I paid too much (I'm afraid to say how much). There seems to be a wide range of prices. Oh well, I'll just have to try it soon and hope for the best!:drinking:
Oh - I did pick up some WT101 yesterday. I KNOW I like that!

smokinjoe
10-11-2006, 16:15
I was on vacation and found EC 18. I've never had it and can't get it here, so I bought a bottle, not knowing much about it. I haven't opened it yet and I'm a little nervous, because it seems to get some mixed reviews. I also wonder if I paid too much (I'm afraid to say how much). There seems to be a wide range of prices. Oh well, I'll just have to try it soon and hope for the best!:drinking:
Oh - I did pick up some WT101 yesterday. I KNOW I like that!
I really like the EC18. Some find it too woody, but it's a mighty fine pour IMO. I don't pick it up much, though, because of the price. And you're right, that the price range is significant. I would think that if you got it under $40, you did OK. I mostly see it in the mid 30's. But, as you know, it just depends on where you are. Cool bottle too, yes?

Cheers!

JOE

Pappy's Friend
10-11-2006, 21:09
I really like the EC18. Some find it too woody, but it's a mighty fine pour IMO. I don't pick it up much, though, because of the price. And you're right, that the price range is significant. I would think that if you got it under $40, you did OK. I mostly see it in the mid 30's. But, as you know, it just depends on where you are. Cool bottle too, yes?

Cheers!

JOE

I initially found it quite woody and didn't like it. If this is your reaction when you open it, don't give up. I've found myself warming up to it. It's a taste that has grown on me. I now enjoy the distinctive smoky wood tones.

HighTower
10-12-2006, 04:29
Blanton's Gold x 2
WT 12yo

If you've never had the Blanton's Gold before......I cant give it enough praise....I recently got 2 bottles myself, best thing I ever did!

Scott

tcrane78
10-12-2006, 06:07
Evan Williams Vintage 1995. Found a local store that still has a few bottles, so I picked a couple up. I really like the vintage 1996, so I hope that the 1995 is just as good, although I have seen where some people like the 1996 better than the 1995. Have a good one.

tcrane78
10-12-2006, 06:09
I initially found it quite woody and didn't like it. If this is your reaction when you open it, don't give up. I've found myself warming up to it. It's a taste that has grown on me. I now enjoy the distinctive smoky wood tones.

I like the EC 18 better than the EC 12 year old. I just think that the EC18 is a good smooth bourbon, perfect for the fall. Just my 2 cents.

Nebraska
10-12-2006, 06:51
...I have seen where some people like the 1996 better than the 1995.

Most folks on this site actually tend to lean more toward the 1995 Evan Williams Single Barrel. I haven't had it in quite some time, but do remember that I enjoyed it. :grin:

A search will yeild some really good past discussions about these and offerings of previous years. If memory serves me correctly, I think 1994 was the general winner, but I can't substatiate this personally. Unfortunately I have the 92, 93, 95 and 96 only!:(

JDutton
10-12-2006, 07:58

Cheers!

JOE

I tried the EC18 last night. Charred wood and smoke seemed to be the most dominant flavors, though I can tell that there are some nicer flavors in there too. I'm encouraged by the replies from you who have developed a taste for it, because for me it will definitely have to be an acquired taste. I'll try it from time to time and see how it goes. I DO like the bottle!

Ubertaster
10-12-2006, 16:29
I just received a shipment which included W.L. Weller 10yr Centennial and I was really pleased with the taste. I didn't realize it was 100 proof until I read the label. Again this was such a nice pour I had to have a second one.

bj

Big Chipper
10-13-2006, 09:16
Yesterday I bought some Old Bardstown 10-yr, Buffalo Trace, and EW 1783.

jburlowski
10-13-2006, 16:13
I just received a shipment which included W.L. Weller 10yr Centennial and I was really pleased with the taste. I didn't realize it was 100 proof until I read the label. Again this was such a nice pour I had to have a second one.

bj

Ahhh... W.L. Weller 10yr Centennial --- one of my all-time favorites/

jburlowski
10-13-2006, 16:15
Yesterday I bought some Old Bardstown 10...

An under-mentioned and under-appreciated whiskey.... A great bargain and a delightful pour. I'd nominate this as a future BOTM just to see some broader reaction.

TNbourbon
10-13-2006, 16:20
...I'd nominate this as a future BOTM just to see some broader reaction.

Well, you'd not likely get much broader reaction, seeing that it's available in only a handful of markets. There's a reason it's "under-mentioned and under-appreciated" -- it's under-available.

FlashPuppy
10-13-2006, 20:42
it's under-available.

Hell, I've never even heard of it...

I picked up an Eagle Rare 101 10yr today. I am undecided on my first drink. I think I will try again on Sunday with a (more) clear palate.

FlashPuppy
10-14-2006, 16:21
Found a new store with quite a nice selection today, so I stiocked up:

ETL - 22.99
Old Overholt Rye - 13.99
OGD114 - 24.99
Old Forester - 13.99
Dickel 12 - 17.99
WT Rye - 18.99
Old Weller Antique - 20.99
OGD Bonded - 18.99

I also picked up some different Ciders and a few Pumpkin Ale's

Quite a good day indeed...

ProofPositive
10-14-2006, 20:16
Near the end of what had been a dry run this afternoon, I discovered a store along an older and less-traveled road. At first glance, nothing I did not already have.....or, in the alternative - nothing I desired to bring home. Turning around to leave, I stumbled into a display island. According to the store clerk, the items there are those which the store owner had decided to no longer stock due to various reasons - mainly, the cost/price. Lo and behold, on the top shelf was a line of VW! Brought home 2 bottles of ORVW 10/90 and 2 bottles of ORVW 10/107. Next trip - in a week or two (after the next pay period), I'll retrieve what I left behind today: 2 bottles of ORVW 15/107, a PVWFR-20, and 2 bottles of VWSR Lot B (S&W)....and, perhaps a Booker's at $44.99. No complaints, a good day after all.

Virus_Of_Life
10-15-2006, 15:46
Well I didn't want to dig things out of my storage unit, but had to take something to a BBQ last night with my friends in town from Oregon so I picked up a couple of value bourbons. WL Weller SR and Old Forestrer Signature both of them were well under $40 including tax and I'd have to say they were both very good pours!

scratchline
10-15-2006, 16:40
From the wilds of New Jersey, I returned today with a bottle of Benchmark Single Barrel, something I'd never seen before.

I left behind a butt ugly bottle of Elmer T. Lee 90 and an overpriced 14 yr old Black Maple Hill that I belatedly discovered may have been a Van Winkle product. May have to return and rescue them both.

Have to add that my sister-in-law managed to snag me a duty free bottle of the Jack Daniels Silver Select. Although I'm not a big Tennessee whiskey drinker, I've enjoyed a pour of Dickel in the past and thought I'd give this a try.

-Mike

luv2hunt
10-15-2006, 18:39
I came back from a trip to Wisconsin with a 2004 Stagg (129 proof). I had to buy it because not too long ago we were Stagg virgins and this was the first version we tasted :)

Dawn

bspurr13
10-15-2006, 20:23
Thanks to you guys, after reading this board for a while, I discovered WT RB last night – best Bourbon I’ve tried to date (I am relatively new to the bourbon experience). I also bought my 1st bottle of George Dickel #12, and my regular bottle of WT 101. Wasn’t all that impressed w/ the GD, but will happily give it another chance or 2 (or 3) - I think I'm still on the bourbon side though.

Thanks for all the great info.

Brett

TNbourbon
10-15-2006, 21:33
Welcome, Brett. You're not alone in the 'bourbon first' crowd here, but I think George Dickel #12 is probably the cream of the Tennessee whiskey, regular-issue crop.
You'll find your own favorites over time, but Rare Breed is certainly a solid early contender. Enjoy the journey!:toast:

bspurr13
10-15-2006, 21:58
Thanks for the welcome.

I am always open to new whisk(e)y! Started in my early days doing "shots" of JD; then onto Scotch and a few Irish versions, as I started to actually enjoy and savor (or even taste) the flavors. I have come full circle now, back to good old American whiskey. I do really enjoy JD single barrel - have an open bottle at home - and as I said, I love WT 101 (and now RB Ė RR is next). Makerís is OK; given me a headache every time I've had it though, even after only a few ounces. I tried JB black early on and think I need to revisit that as well.

Any suggestions on what next?

Brett

Nebraska
10-18-2006, 11:33
I've become a believer in dumb luck. I ordered a couple (the last two) of bottles from one of my retailers after being told an astounding price. $18 for Weller Centennial 10yo. I can always use a couple more, especially at that price.

Today the bottles show up, the bottle looks different, humm bottle design change? No...they are Louisville:bigeyes:

I seem to recall some saying about a blind squirrel and a nut that might apply here:lol:

I also picked up a couple of bottles of BT that were a barrel purchase for a store. The owner said their great (like he's gonna say yeah I'm stuck with 18 cases of this swill in the back room) I'll give one a taste in about a week and we'll see.

jimibourbonhammered
10-18-2006, 18:16
Picked up a William Larue Weller for $40 today. I had passed on it at $59, but really wanted to give it a shot since I like wheated bourbons. Also grabbed a Buffalo Trace bottle since it's not available locally. Finally, I ran across a stash of 10 or 12 bottles of Wild Turkey 12yo 101 split label. The price was kinda high, $50, so I passed. Did I make a mistake? I don't blink at that price for Stagg or Booker's, but wasn't too sure if the price reflected the rarity or quality. Thought's?

FlashPuppy
10-18-2006, 18:24
Did I make a mistake?

In short, Yes. I consider WT12 to be one of my favorite pours, and considering that you can no longer get it....

As for me, I found my first bottle of Sazerac Rye. Look forward to tasting it later tonight.

scratchline
10-18-2006, 21:27
50 dollars is about the going rate when the Wild Turkey 12 can be found. As Tim advised me some time ago about this bourbon, "Buy them all!" You won't be disappointed, and if you are, you will always be able to find someone who will want them.

Whereabouts in Arkansas are you? I grew up in Fayetteville.

Best.

-Mike

Special Reserve
10-19-2006, 04:06
$50 for WT 12 is cheap if you can find it.

jimibourbonhammered
10-19-2006, 18:55
50 dollars is about the going rate when the Wild Turkey 12 can be found. As Tim advised me some time ago about this bourbon, "Buy them all!" You won't be disappointed, and if you are, you will always be able to find someone who will want them.

Whereabouts in Arkansas are you? I grew up in Fayetteville.

Best.

-Mike

I'm halfway between Texarkana and nowhere really. I do lots of traveling to find rare bottles, dry county and all, you know. Thanks for the heads up on the WT12yo, guys, I'll pick it up next go around, then I'll pass the location on to anyone interested.