PDA

View Full Version : Rittenhouse Rye

cowdery
07-26-2006, 14:34
I have raved all over this board about Rittenhouse Rye Bottled in Bond, so when I went to Binny's last week to stock up, I was disappointed that they were out. But, lo and behold, they did have Rittenhouse Rye 80 proof, which I had never seen or, at least, had not seen for many years.

At $9.99 it certainly was worth a try so I bought a bottle, and I'm very glad that I did.

While I still prefer the BIB, the 80 is terrific too, and a very different whiskey; light, spicy, peppery. Comparing it to the BIB, the BIB tastes more like a bourbon, the 80 more like a straight rye.

The 80's color is much lighter, which would figure since it has more water in it, but I suspect it's also younger.

Curiously, the back label says "distilled by D.S.P. KY 31." The preposition is significant. It says "by" not "at." D.S.P. KY 31 is the Heaven Hill plant that burned down in 1996. I certainly doubt this is 10-year-old whiskey. I guess HH can "use" the 31 even if the whiskey actually was distilled at D.S.P. KY 1, which is Bernheim in Louisville.

Maybe our authority on all things Heaven Hill can explain this anomaly.

Anyway, very good whiskey and a great value, highly recommended. Them Heaven Hill folks sure do make them some good straight rye whiskey. Yum yum.

Rughi
07-26-2006, 21:15
Curiously, the back label says "distilled by D.S.P. KY 31."...

Chuck,
This was also discussed in posts 50-55 of this thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3986&page=2). It finishes with a reply by Larry Kass.

I'm told they've changed the label so that it no longer calls out DSP KY 31, but I haven't seen one.

Roger

cowdery
07-26-2006, 22:30
Thanks. That explains it. It also explains...sort of...why the bottle of Rittenhouse BIB that I got at Sam's doesn't have a back label. I'm also surprised Binny's has such old stock. They had rather a lot of it too.

I do like it though, the 80 proof. I'm drinking it right now.

contrarian
07-27-2006, 00:44
Well, to add to the confusion, I just picked up 6 bottles of Rittenhouse BIB (that were special order not regularly carried by OLCC so I assume they ordered it directly from HH) that say "Distilled by D.S.P. KY 354...." Isn't this the Early Times distillery in Shively?

Chuck, I haven't tried the 80, but I've fallen hard for the BIB since first trying it a few months ago. I'm a little hesitant to try the 80 (given that I think both Old Overholt and Beam Rye would be better at a higher proof), but your positive comments might sway me.

I'm trying to stock up a bit on the BIB, because I can't help but think that the combination of recent great press and accolades for the BIB PLUS the release of a superpremium rye under the Rittenhouse label will almost certainly mean higher prices and higher demand in the near future.

Jeff

Gillman
07-27-2006, 04:44
Good catch, first appearance of evidence where some of the whiskey was made between the fire ('96) and the deployment of Bernheim some years later.

The BIB is 6 years old and the 80 proof 4 years old (Bettye Jo confirmed this a couple of months ago).

The extra quality of the BIB is therefore down not just to proof but also to age.

Still, the 80 proofer is very nice and if I saw any I'd buy it. I'd find many uses for it: neat sampling, in cocktails and for blending.

Gary

OscarV
07-27-2006, 06:34
I have a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof BIB.
It has no back label, and it does not have the U.S.Govenment warning about the ill effects of alcohol. But it does have the Universal Price Code bar and number.
It states that it was, "Bottled by Continental Distilling Co., Bardstown, KY"
Followed by, in small print, RW16679.

Is this an old bottle not bottled by Heaven Hill?
Was it intened for export? Hence no Govt. warning?
I got it at Sam's Wines in Chicago this past winter.

cowdery
07-27-2006, 13:06
I have a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof BIB.
It has no back label, and it does not have the U.S.Govenment warning about the ill effects of alcohol. But it does have the Universal Price Code bar and number.
It states that it was, "Bottled by Continental Distilling Co., Bardstown, KY"
Followed by, in small print, RW16679.

Is this an old bottle not bottled by Heaven Hill?
Was it intened for export? Hence no Govt. warning?
I got it at Sam's Wines in Chicago this past winter.

That's exactly what I have. Heaven Hill suspects the labels fell off. At any rate, the label was supposed to be there, though it's not something someone will go to jail for.

A bond has to have a DSP number on the label, so its absense is an error. Ditto the warning.

I'm glad to see Heaven Hill is sticking with "bottled in bond" and the requirements inherent in that designation, even when it means disclosing that some of their whiskey was made at a competitor's distillery.

I can tell you, however, that Parker and Craig Beam supervised the production at Shively, using their yeast and other specifications.

Sweetmeats
08-30-2006, 10:21
Just ordered two bottles of the BIB from Binnys the other day. I have never tired it but I'm really looking forward to it. I didn't really care for Old Overholt too much and my Sazerac Jr. is about to run out. I'm hoping this will be a fantastic replacement.

Gillman
08-30-2006, 11:44
Why doesn't Beam do a 100, or barrel, proof Overholt? In comparison to the other companies Beam seems less willing to try "new things" like this. I mean, just do it.

Gary

Sweetmeats
08-30-2006, 11:58
The 100 proof is what made me enjoy WT Rye. I'd try a Beam Rye at 100 proof for sure.

cowdery
08-30-2006, 12:26
I think Beam is still too preoccupied with integration of its Allied acquisitions to be bothered with small potatoes like Old Overholt, or rye whiskey in general, but I suspect they will get around to it. If someone like Diageo or Brown-Forman makes a move into a straight rye, they will react, otherwise they may not. They don't pay much attention to the Heaven Hills and Buffalo Traces of the world.

Gillman
08-30-2006, 17:31
I don't think though they should assume what is small potatoes. Acquisition is all very well, but it does not substitute for product development and creation of line extensions. Companies have the ability to break through the wall on stuff like this. I am not saying Overholt is the answer (although who knows) but more attention to the brand would show me they care about the brand and where it came from, heritage in a word but also that they have their eye on the future.

All brands have a natural life. What will replace, ultimately, Beam white label?

In my opinion, Overholt should have been included in the small batch series. As now constituted, it is too repetitive. And to do that, the perfect way would have been to include a barrel-proof Overholt (or Jim Beam rye).

I think they should be looking at what the other companies are doing.

Gary

voigtman
08-30-2006, 19:01
I strongly agree with Gary. Old Overholt, in particular, is MUCH better than it was even a few years ago, and I admit to having a soft spot in my heart (aka bias) for it since it was my first rye. I would jump at a barrel proof or BIB OO. Rittenhouse BIB is not available here, or even the 80 proof, BTW, which is very annoying given the accolades heaped on the BIB. Pikesville Supreme, at 80 proof, is available with some difficulty, but nothing to write home about. Not bad, but not blog-inspiring. WT Rye is about $23 per bottle, IF it can be found, and that is way more than the $12.49/liter for OO, and definitely not worth it, IMHO. Personally, I wouldn't care if Wild Turkey distillery bit the dust, so to speak, for many reasons, but it would be great to try Rittenhouse BIB and the OO, as a barrel proof or BIB, could be amazing. My open ryes right now are Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye E 2076, Sazerac 18 2004, and OO, and next up is one of my Saz 2001s.

BourbonJoe
08-31-2006, 04:07
Personally, I wouldn't care if Wild Turkey distillery bit the dust, so to speak, for many reasons

Now thems fightin words. :hot:
Joe :usflag:

DrinkyBanjo
08-31-2006, 05:04
Why would anyone say such a thing? I love that Turkey! I'm actually taking my last final exam Friday night to finish my long overdue Bachelor's Degree. If I stay in I'm going to celebrate with WT 12, WT 15, and then the big boy himself..GTS.

Gillman
08-31-2006, 06:38
Is there anywhere in Bardstown or Louisville where you can buy any form of Rittenhouse rye whiskey?

Gary

barturtle
08-31-2006, 06:49
Last time I checked the was one place in Louisville that carried the 80 proof: Old Town Wine and Spirits

Gillman
08-31-2006, 06:52
Thanks Tim, I know Old Town, good store.

Gary

jeff
08-31-2006, 07:34
Only place in KY I have ever seen it is at The Party Source in Newport, which is located just across the river from Cincinnati.

Gillman
08-31-2006, 08:49
Jeff, thanks, is it the 80 proof too?

Gary

nor02lei
08-31-2006, 10:03
And I how thought it should be a peas of cake to get Rittenhouse bib anywhere in Kentucky

Leif

jeff
08-31-2006, 10:17
Jeff, thanks, is it the 80 proof too?

Gary

No, I believe it was the BIB.

jeff
08-31-2006, 10:19
And I how thought it should be a peas of cake to get Rittenhouse bib anywhere in Kentucky

Leif

Leif,

While you'll surely find a greater selection than to which you are accustomed, there are some labels that are hard-to-find or simply not available in KY.

Gillman
08-31-2006, 10:48
Thanks Jeff. Leif, Rittenhouse had its original market in Pennsylvania and other parts of the North and was not a local (to Kentucky) brand. It came to HH through label purchases as was explained recently on the board. Pikesville rye is a similar story. Even though made in Kentucky now, they are still sent to their original market areas where the demand is. Due however to publicity given to such brands on fora such as this one, the products are increasingly being made available nearer to home base.

Gary

boone
08-31-2006, 10:58
Thanks Jeff. Leif, Rittenhouse had its original market in Pennsylvania and other parts of the North and was not a local (to Kentucky) brand. It came to HH through label purchases as was explained recently on the board. Pikesville rye is a similar story. Even though made in Kentucky now, they are still sent to their original market areas where the demand is. Due however to publicity given to such brands on fora such as this one, the products are increasingly being made available nearer to home base.

Gary

For those of ya in search...of Rye...We don't produce a incredible amount of Rye, when ya compare it to bourbon production. Most of the Rittenhouse label goes north. Only a "few" cases will stay in Kentucky.

As mentioned in these posts---in reference to the 80 proof stuff....Pikesville, would be a good choice. Another bottling at 80 proof that's "overlooked" and folks don't realize to "buy" it...is the "Stephen Foster Rye"...

Bettye Jo

cubacroc
08-31-2006, 11:59
Leif,
Rittenhouse 80 and 100 BIB are both in stock along with Van Winkle Rye, Old Overholt, Beam Rye, WT Rye, Saz Jr. and both Michter's Rye at Old Town. They also have the BTEC Double Wood and the new 2006 Birthday Bourbon.

nor02lei
08-31-2006, 12:17
Leif,
Rittenhouse 80 and 100 BIB are both in stock along with Van Winkle Rye, Old Overholt, Beam Rye, WT Rye, Saz Jr. and both Michter's Rye at Old Town. They also have the BTEC Double Wood and the new 2006 Birthday Bourbon.

Thanks!
I will visit Old Town

Leif

Sweetmeats
08-31-2006, 12:22
Anyone know where a Californian might come across a bottle of Van Winkle Rye?

wadewood
08-31-2006, 15:26
For the WA state folks, the store over in West Seattle has some of the 100 proof Rittenhouse in stock at $15.30. The website had 24 bottles listed at this store. I bought 6! There were still 6 on the shelf and ? maybe more in the back.

jeff
08-31-2006, 16:08
This might have been addressed elsewhere, but does anyone know if Rittenhouse BIB is chill-filtered? I ask because I'm having a bit over ice and it has clouded considerably.

BourbonJoe
08-31-2006, 16:24
Rittenhouse had its original market in Pennsylvania
Gary

Try to find some in Pennsylvania now. :hot: :hot: :hot:
Joe

contrarian
08-31-2006, 18:51
This might have been addressed elsewhere, but does anyone know if Rittenhouse BIB is chill-filtered? I ask because I'm having a bit over ice and it has clouded considerably.

I haven't seen any comments on this either, Jeff, but my uneducated guess is no. The color is SO dark for a 6yo whiskey and I put part of a bottle in the freezer and got lots of cloudiness and a little sediment.

Jeff

CrispyCritter
08-31-2006, 19:29
I've also noticed a tendency for Rittenhouse BIB-based Manhattans to cloud up. I consider that to be a Good Thing.

AVB
08-31-2006, 19:29
I had to buy my Rittenhouse in NY on a trip to Buffalo. For some reason the State of PA has decided not to offer it.

BourbonJoe
09-01-2006, 06:03
For some reason the State of PA has decided not to offer it.

Could it be their affinity to only buy and stock the very finest world class whiskies such as Jim Beam White. Whoever is picking the whiskies to stock in PA is an idiot. :smiley_acbt: :hot:

AVB
09-01-2006, 06:05
I have to revise what I said about PA. Rittenhouse is listed as a SLO (Special Liquor Order) for only $11.89!

Any PA liquor store should be able to order with the info below.

062670 SLO RITTENHOUSE RYE 100 $11.89 750 ML

BourbonJoe
09-01-2006, 06:12
I have to revise what I said about PA. Rittenhouse is listed as a SLO (Special Liquor Order) for only $11.89!

Did you ever order a SLO? I did. First you must buy a whole case and put the money up front. Then you wait between one and three to four months to get it, after firing off several phone calls to those inept individuals who can never answer your questions anyway. I'm no fan of the PALCB. :smiley_acbt: :hot:

AVB
09-01-2006, 06:27
As a matter of fact I have bought a number of things SLO. Only once was I required to buy a case and I didn't want it that badly. As for time, I don't think I've waited more then 3 weeks for anything. Overall, I've had good experience with SLO.

jeff
09-10-2006, 06:21
All,

I noticed on the shelf yesterday at the Cork and Bottle in Covington that they have the 80 proof and the BIB for $9.99 and $15.99 respectively.

cowdery
09-12-2006, 17:25
I received today some promotional material about the new 21 year old Rittenhouse, including the attached letter. I found the letter unusually interesting for this sort of thing, which is why I'm sharing it.

Two interesting facts about the product itself. First, it is the first product Heaven Hill has sold that is not chill filtered. Second, they are referring to it as a "one time bottling," whereas originally we were told that they had whiskey in the pipeline that would permit annual releases and it would not be a one-off.

CrispyCritter
09-12-2006, 20:05
*drool*

This may be the very first time that I break the $100 rule, to ass-u-me that I actually find any on the shelf. :) :( :bigeyes::hot::grin::slappin::D

wadewood
09-12-2006, 20:12
Let's see, 10 bottles of Rittenhouse BIB or 1 bottle of the 21 year old. I'm going to take the 10 bottles.

CrispyCritter
09-12-2006, 20:26
I'm going to take the 10 bottles.

:slappin:

Oh, I know how you feel! More than once I've been tempted by some ultrapremium single malts, only to get something that's (a) very tasty in its own right, and (b) far more affordable.

(If my brother-in-law shows up here, my Ardbeg '77 is going to get opened!)

Assuming a "standard-issue" Sazerac 18 gets released, I'd probably go with it, if I don't decide to take the hit on my budget and get both the Saz and the Rittenhouse Ultra.

AVB
09-15-2006, 17:50
If it fits in the budget I'd like to do a heads up of the Vintage 23 yo Rye, Classic Cask 22 yo Rye and the Rittenhouse. Gotta cruise to pay for that is putting a crimp in the budget.

Bamber
09-19-2006, 14:28
I think $150 is too much to pay for a new release like this.

TNbourbon
09-19-2006, 14:43
If it fits in the budget I'd like to do a heads up of the Vintage 23 yo Rye, Classic Cask 22 yo Rye and the Rittenhouse. Gotta cruise to pay for that is putting a crimp in the budget.

My October cruise is already paid for (and a steal it was -- $329 to sail singly in a outside-double cabin overlooking the aft of the ship:shocked: for 5 nights), so if I can come up with the new Rittenhouse from Tennessee, I can cover that spread for you.

Gillman
09-19-2006, 20:35
With Tim recently I tasted Rittenhouse rye BIB (6 years old), Classic Cask 15 and 21 years old and Vintage rye 23 years old.

They were all quite different. The Vintage 23 rye showed remarkable fruit and suppleness for an oldster - great selecting by the Kulsveens and worth the money. The Classic Casks were dry, austere, elegant - a different ball of wax completely. [It just occurs to me the term ball of wax might have referred originally to spirits]. The Rittenhouse was very nice, this was the recently issued "Early Times" version (i.e., distilled at Early Times with the HH recipe and under its supervision after the fire and before Bernheim was acquired). It seemed softer and less intense than the DSP 31 version although presenting evident similarities. It was grainy and reminded me somewhat of Old Heaven Hill BIB bourbon as distilled at DSP 31, I know this is getting complicated...

Gary

AVB
09-23-2006, 14:54
That is a great price. However, there are two of us and it's for 12 days so you can imagine the crimp it made.

My October cruise is already paid for (and a steal it was -- $329 to sail singly in a outside-double cabin overlooking the aft of the ship:shocked: for 5 nights), so if I can come up with the new Rittenhouse from Tennessee, I can cover that spread for you.

cowdery
10-01-2006, 22:16
I have it on good authority that Heaven Hill's distributor in New York has been selling the Rittenhouse 21 very aggressively, so a lot of it is going there. New York State, not necessarily NYC.

boone
10-03-2006, 12:19
I have it on good authority that Heaven Hill's distributor in New York has been selling the Rittenhouse 21 very aggressively, so a lot of it is going there. New York State, not necessarily NYC.

A UPDATE on the Rittenhouse 21 year :grin: :grin:

The "same amount" shipments going out the door will be sent to:

California, New York, Illinois and Indiana :grin: :grin: :grin:

The next drift will be to Texas and Florida :grin: :grin: :grin:

I have it on good authority :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bettye Jo

shaggy
10-16-2006, 18:06
Hey folks, I was at the Hamburg Liquor Barn in Lexington tonight and I saw the 80 proof Rittenhouse. They had about a case on the shelf. I have yet to find any of the 21 yr old on any shelves in KY, but I did taste it last weekend at the Evan WIlliams 1997 SIngle Barrel tasting event in Louisville. It was absolutely superb! Worth $125 a bottle? I don't think I would pay that much, but it was damn good. I picked up the last bottle of the BIB with black label at a small liquor store in Bardstown during the Bourbon Festival last month and it is already gone. It was just about as good as the 6 yr old Sazerac.

Nebraska
10-16-2006, 18:49
Arrggg...Shaggy...you's be riiight on the money(pardon me, doubloon) matey!

Welcome to the board, always good to have another rye man on board (bad pun). I favor the rye heavy and ryes myself. If you spot a bottle of the Rittenhouse BIB 100 proof set yer hook into it and set sail fer the home port. (Too bad you missed talk like pirate day)

Anyway, I don't normally talk like this, I think it be a problem with my scurvy keyboard.

Welcome again.

CrispyCritter
10-21-2006, 01:19
The other day, I picked up a bottle of the 80 proof Rittenhouse to compare with the BIB. The nose is strikingly similar, but the two whiskeys are quite different on the palate. Surprisingly, the 80 proof seems a bit more spirity than the BIB; I'd chalk that up to the extra aging the BIB gets. Both are outstanding values, in any case...

brian12069
10-29-2006, 11:04
I bought this yesterday. It is the first time I have seen Rittenhouse in upstate NY. Is this the regular BIB? It says 100 proof.

Nebraska
10-29-2006, 11:15
That's it, right below the "100 proof" on the label you'll see the Bottled in Bond in silver writing. The other version is an 86 proof. Very good stuff you've got there, YUM

JeffRenner
10-29-2006, 17:00
The other version is an 86 proof.
Actually, it's 80 proof, not 86. I quite like it. To me, it tastes different from the 100 proof diluted to 80, although it's been a while since I've had either, so I can't be specific.

Jeff