PDA

View Full Version : Newly announced: Old Forester Signature

Sijan
07-27-2006, 07:06
Just got an email:

If you recognize this signature...

[George Gavin Brown signature]

you'll recognize the award–winning taste of Old Forester Signature. We've given the 100–proof _expression of Old Forester a new look in honor of our founder, George Garvin Brown.

Hand–picked from select barrels, Old Forester Signature is crafted using the same time–honored methods established more than 135 years ago. Mr. Brown's signature continues to stand for rich flavor and quality as it did when he signed his first bottle in 1870.

For more information about Old Forester and the 1870 Society, visit OldForester.com.

Your friends at Old Forester

Sijan
07-27-2006, 07:22
Image of the bottle: http://www.oldforester.com/email/signature_bottle.jpg

jeff
07-27-2006, 08:53
I've seen this in Lexington, but only in the 1.75's so far. Are they insinuating by "hand picked" that this is somehow better than the previous OF100? Probably marketing fluff.

elkdoggydog
07-27-2006, 10:27
"Hand-picked" sounds like a nice way of saying "we taste it before we bottle it, and we use our hands to do that." As long as they don't change the price, I'll keep it in regular rotation.

hollywood
07-27-2006, 13:05
You know, sounds good, but here in the midwest I can't get/find any of the special releases! Ohhh, the days of 'ole when I could get most anything....Not here!...Being the optimist-I'll keep my eyes peeled!

cas
07-28-2006, 12:23
It's unclear to me - is this just a new package for the 100 proof version or is this really a new product?

Craig

TimmyBoston
07-28-2006, 22:37
Dan or Jeff or anyone else,
Have you tried the signature and how does it compare to the previous release of OF 100, or is it eerily similar.
I really like the original, which I picked up on Jeff's reccomendation. (Thanks buddy) I hope this one is up to the standard.

cowdery
07-29-2006, 14:17
I'm such a dope. I've actually talked to Chris Morris about this a couple of times and haven't thought to ask the obvious question.

Why?

My best guess is that it's an example of the Brown-Forman way of doing things that is a little different than the way other people do them. For most, if they have multiple proofs that's all there is to it, here is such-and-such a brand at 80, 86, 90, 100, whatever. Brown-Forman is all about brands, so they want to make the 100 proof Old Forester more distinctive, a brand extension if not a separate brand, but more than just a proof difference.

As a matter of fact, too, it gives them the opportunity to give "Signature" a different profile beyond the proof difference, and that is where barrel selection comes into it.

Old Forester is so under-the-rader still that they can relaunch it and if they do it right (as BF is wont to do) it can come into the market as almost a new brand.

gr8erdane
07-29-2006, 19:43
Keep an eye on your local Lukas Superstore, they're the only place I've seen around ST Louis that carries both the 80 and 100 proof OFs. They might get the new one.

Nebraska
08-28-2006, 15:49
I stopped by a local place that carries a pretty good variety of Bourbon. One of their new additions was OF 100. They had just been carrying OF 86 before. I thought about picking one up until I noticed the self sticker. The OF 86 was about $9.95, OF 100 was about $34.95. Could that be right?

smokinjoe
08-28-2006, 15:57
I stopped by a local place that carries a pretty good variety of Bourbon. One of their new additions was OF 100. They had just been carrying OF 86 before. I thought about picking one up until I noticed the self sticker. The OF 86 was about $9.95, OF 100 was about $34.95. Could that be right?

Sounds more like a Birthday Bourbon price to me. Or, maybe that was the 1.75 price for the 100? Not sure about your area, but even at that, $34.95 sounds high for the 1.75.

JOE

Nebraska
08-28-2006, 16:11
It was on a 750ml, I checked the shelf tag too, it just said Old Forester 100 750ml.

ratcheer
08-28-2006, 17:13

Well, it should not be right. In Alabama, a very high tax/high price state, a 750 ml of OF 100-proof is around $18. $35 is way out of line.

Tim

Nebraska
08-28-2006, 18:39
LOL:lol: ...I just called back to the store to make sure I didn't make a mistake...I did. It actually was $36.99 and it is Old Forester 100 proof 750ml, Not BB, not plated in gold, not signature...

The young man on the phone informed me there was no mistake, they mark things up 20% across the board. I enlightened him, but apparently it was a bad phone connection (or age connection) because he informed me everything was computerized and that it was updated regularly.:slappin:

ratcheer
08-28-2006, 18:51
Ah, well I guess that explains it. Eveyone knows, the computer is always right. :horseshit:

Tim

Sijan
08-28-2006, 19:34
Has anyone seen/tasted the new OF Signature yet? I've been travelling all over lately and still haven't seen it.

cowdery
08-28-2006, 19:43
It's not really "new," just new packaging and positioning, and I have heard nothing about a price increase. It's a very good, well-made bourbon, about six years old, but if you are familiar with the OF 100, it's the same stuff.

That store definitely made a mistake on the price. Although Brown-Forman is not averse to taking price increases (they recently raised the price on Woodford), no way they would take that kind of increase on OF.

One thing I had not known about OF Signature, which I found interesting, is that it has a separate profile from the 86. The 86 is not just a more diluted version of the 100. Although they start as the same distillate, when barrels are selected and mixed they are treated like two separate brands.

In terms of brand management, I think Brown-Forman is way ahead of the rest of the industry. OF Signature is another example, cleverly giving the consumer (and retailer) a way to distinguish between the 86 proof and 100 proof expressions without referring to proof.

wadewood
08-29-2006, 14:06
In terms of brand management, I think Brown-Forman is way ahead of the rest of the industry. OF Signature is another example, cleverly giving the consumer (and retailer) a way to distinguish between the 86 proof and 100 proof expressions without referring to proof.

I know what this really means for Brown-Forman; in 2-3 years they will take OF Signature and lower the proof to 90, then 86, then to 80 while positioning it as higher shelf/price product.

BourbonJoe
08-29-2006, 14:28
I know what this really means for Brown-Forman; in 2-3 years they will take OF Signature and lower the proof to 90, then 86, then to 80 while positioning it as higher shelf/price product.

Ah, the old "Marketing 101" ploy. :horseshit:
Joe :usflag:

Sijan
09-12-2006, 22:02
Anyone seen this on shelves yet? If so, where?

smokinjoe
09-13-2006, 03:34
Anyone seen this on shelves yet? If so, where?
Saw it at Cork & Bottle in Covington, OH early August.

JOE

jeff
09-13-2006, 03:38
It's at all three Liquor Barns in Lexington, though I have still only seen the 1.75L.

cowdery
09-13-2006, 08:52
My assumption is that the distributors and retailers will push all of the old Old Forester 100 through the pipeline before they put the Signature out there, so it probably will appear at different times in different places, depending on how fast different places turn it over.

Sijan
09-13-2006, 22:28
My assumption is that the distributors and retailers will push all of the old Old Forester 100 through the pipeline before they put the Signature out there, so it probably will appear at different times in different places, depending on how fast different places turn it over.

Well, it'll be awhile in the DC area then. I'm not sure if anyone else here but me drinks the stuff.

granola82
04-30-2007, 06:28
I picked up a bottle of OF Signature in Frederick Maryland this weekend for $19.99. Haven't tried it yet but I noticed that a few folks were looking for it in the DC/MD/VA area. Interestingly, I've never seen the "regular" 100 proof OF around here.

mythrenegade
05-07-2007, 19:54
I recently bought a bottle (old label with the diamond on it) from HiTimeWine in Costa Mesa. I'm not thrilled with this bourbon, I don't see myself buying another bottle of it.

Joel

ggilbertva
05-08-2007, 04:44
I recently bought a bottle (old label with the diamond on it) from HiTimeWine in Costa Mesa. I'm not thrilled with this bourbon, I don't see myself buying another bottle of it.

Joel

Joel,

I agree. I held a tasting on Sunday of OF selections and the Signature didn't score very well. In fact, two participants selected the current 86 as their favorite.

Martian
05-08-2007, 10:44
I've seen the Bonded and Signature next to each other in Dallas. I didn't buy the Signature because I didn't really like the Bonded very much. I thought the Bonded had lots of flavor but needed some water to reduce the harshness. The prices were the same as I recall, $18.49 at Goody Goody. It just hit me that the Bonded might be great on the rocks. I should have tried it that way.

OscarV
11-15-2007, 07:02
This thread started on July 27, 2006.
I looked it up because I got a bottle of Signature in KY a few weeks ago for only $15.99.
It was "on sale" but I don't know if it was a close-out or just a regular promotion.
I have been nipping at it for a while now and I really like it and will get another one on the next KY trip.
My question is this, is Brown-Foreman going to keep it on the market?
Anyone else like it?
Is it considered a successe as far as it's sales goes?

cowdery
11-15-2007, 12:44
Brown-Forman began in 1870 when George Garvin Brown introduced a whiskey he called Old Forrester. (The second "r" was later dropped.) The company he founded, which is still owned by his descendants, has made Old Forester ever since, even through the darkest days of bourbon's sad, long decline.

Old Forester Signature isn't going anywhere. It's actually doing pretty well, showing small but solid gains each period. It's not pricey. The last bottle I got was $27.99 for a 1.75 L. Old Forester Signature is one of your best bourbon values.

Gillman
11-15-2007, 12:53
I agree and it is a stand by in my house.

Gary

nor02lei
11-15-2007, 13:05
I agree as well Chuck and Gary but unfortunately it’s not available here in Europe. However with some luck I can still find Forester 96 that I do consider about equally god.

Leif

SBOmarc
11-15-2007, 16:48
For all of my fellow West Coast drinkers, Found this in ample supply at a BevMo grand opening for $15.99. Have not tasted it yet.