PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon and Ale-8-1

smokinjoe
07-30-2006, 19:13
Just returned from our yearly trip to meet friends and family at Kentucky's beautiful Cumberland Falls State Park. While there, some of the local folks, in noting that I was drinking my bourbon straight, suggested I mix it with Ale-8-1 (pronounced A Late One) It is a ginger based drink that has been produced in Kentucky since 1926. They say that's what they mix their bourbon with when not drinking straight. I didn't get a chance to do this, though I did taste a bit without the bourbon. I thought it might be a bit too sweet for my liking. Asking all of you other Kentucky residents; Have any of you tried this pairing together? Is it worth trying?

BTW, if you ever get a chance to visit Cumberland Falls, do it. It is really a beautiful place, particularly if you like hiking, rafting, swimming etc.

Cheers!
JOE

cowdery
07-30-2006, 23:31
I can't say that I have ever mixed Ale-8-One with bourbon, but I have had it and can attest that is is a venerable Kentucky institution, made in Winchester and still owned by the same family.

Border-state Kentucky can be unlike the South in many ways, but not when it comes to beverages. In southern Kentucky especially, if someone asks for a "Co-Cola" the proper response is "what kind?" because a "Co-Cola" is any soft drink. And if you ask for iced tea and don't want "sweet tea" you better say so, because "sweet tea" is the default. And, of course, there's bourbon.

I can also second the endorsement of Cumberland Falls and many other natural attractions in that part of Kentucky. I have often said it's a shame more people in the East and Midwest don't know that the kind of scenery they sometimes travel out West to see is abundant in Kentucky.

boone
07-31-2006, 07:31
Just returned from our yearly trip to meet friends and family at Kentucky's beautiful Cumberland Falls State Park. While there, some of the local folks, in noting that I was drinking my bourbon straight, suggested I mix it with Ale-8-1 (pronounced A Late One) It is a ginger based drink that has been produced in Kentucky since 1926. They say that's what they mix their bourbon with when not drinking straight. I didn't get a chance to do this, though I did taste a bit without the bourbon. I thought it might be a bit too sweet for my liking. Asking all of you other Kentucky residents; Have any of you tried this pairing together? Is it worth trying?

BTW, if you ever get a chance to visit Cumberland Falls, do it. It is really a beautiful place, particularly if you like hiking, rafting, swimming etc.

Cheers!
JOE

Hi Joe :grin: :grin:

We don't do the Ale-8-1 in these parts (my folks) but I do know some that mix it with Moutain Dew:slappin: :slappin: I'd never drink that stuff....Ginger is not my cup of tea :skep: :skep:

Cumberland falls---Our Niagra of the South :grin: :grin: :grin: Home of the "Moonglow" :grin: :grin:

Here's a link :grin: :grin:

http://www.gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/cumberland.shtml that most will enjoy :grin: :grin:

Bettye Jo

hollywood
07-31-2006, 09:04
I do prefer Ginger Ale if I intend to mix...I have never heard of this before though. In the Birmingham area, (Rat' will know what I am talking about) their is a "Buffalo Rock" ginger ale. This stuff is a reddish-brown color, and is stout as hell!! I wouldn't doubt if it is 80 proof alone!! Just kidding!!, but it literally burns on the way down! Correct me if I am wrong Rat', but I believe the recipe goes back to the Civil War. I think they used it as some kind of remedy or something. Man, if you mixed this stuff with some high octane booze....Look Out! See ya, H'wood

ratcheer
07-31-2006, 15:09
I do prefer Ginger Ale if I intend to mix...I have never heard of this before though. In the Birmingham area, (Rat' will know what I am talking about) their is a "Buffalo Rock" ginger ale. This stuff is a reddish-brown color, and is stout as hell!! I wouldn't doubt if it is 80 proof alone!! Just kidding!!, but it literally burns on the way down! Correct me if I am wrong Rat', but I believe the recipe goes back to the Civil War. I think they used it as some kind of remedy or something. Man, if you mixed this stuff with some high octane booze....Look Out! See ya, H'wood

Yes, what he said. I have talked about it before, especially in a thread a few years ago on distinctive, regional ginger ales and beers.

Tim

BSS
08-01-2006, 05:03
I use to drink around eight Ale-8s a day until I quit drinking caffeine about 5 years ago. I loved that stuff and would guess that it would greatly cut the taste of any whiskey.

Just for reference, even though the bottle says "A Late One" on it, I haven't ever heard anyone call it that. It's typically referred to as Ale8.

Chuck,

Where in Southern Kentucky have you heard people call Coke (and I do mean cola based soft drinks), "Co-Cola"? One side of my family is from the Somerset area, and they are pretty countrified, and I haven't ever heard that term used by anyone in that area.

cowdery
08-01-2006, 07:15
Chuck,

Where in Southern Kentucky have you heard people call Coke (and I do mean cola based soft drinks), "Co-Cola"? One side of my family is from the Somerset area, and they are pretty countrified, and I haven't ever heard that term used by anyone in that area.

Burkesville/Cumberland County/Dale Hollow Lake area. It's common in Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia, but I experienced it in that part of Kentucky, where I spent a lot of time over a several year period. I can't say I've heard it anywhere else in Kentucky, where the midwest "pop" is the usual term for a carbonated soft drink.

TnSquire
08-01-2006, 08:53
Hi Joe :grin: :grin:

I do know some that mix it with Moutain Dew:slappin: :slappin:

Bettye Jo

Now dont knock it till you try it. It actually is not all that bad.:grin:

When I lived in Tullahoma a couple of locals drank Sundrop and Dickle. Drop-n-Dickle. Both local products.

TnSquire
08-01-2006, 08:56
I always heard a soft drink refered to as Coke. "Lets go get a coke" It could be any kind of soft drink but it was getting a coke.

Gillman
08-01-2006, 10:43
"What's for Cokes?", as people used to say.

In Montreal when I grew up, the term ginger ale meant any kind of soda.

Gary

hollywood
08-01-2006, 10:59
TNSquire, You're right! In the south, all carbonated beverages are pretty much a "Coke". You might be going to the store to buy Cokes, but that might be Strawberry soda/pop, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, or whatever. If you ask for a Coke, many times the questions is What kind? I guess "Coke" is pretty synonomous(sp?) for pop, soda, and soft drink.