PDA

View Full Version : Cubans

DrinkyBanjo
08-22-2006, 15:42
All

I'll be traveling to Ireland in a few weeks and was wondering what Cubans I should pick up. Any specific brands that I MUST try?

FlashPuppy
08-22-2006, 15:45
Cohiba, if you can find the real ones. I saw a thread on here not too long ago about how to tell the difference.

contrarian
08-22-2006, 17:57
I tend to smoke smaller, medium to full bodied cigars. These 10 or so are some of the best I've ever had.

Coronas Gorda: Punch Punch and H. Upmann Magnum 46 (both better than Cohiba Siglo IV IMO and significantly less expensive)

Robustos: I love Ramon Allones Specially Selected, Partagas Serie D #4, and H. Upmann Connoisseur #1. Cohiba Robusto is muy bien, maybe the best of this size, but close to twice the price of these three.

Coronas and Petit Coronas: Bolivar Corona and PC, Punch Royal Selection 12. (better than the much more popular Montecristo #4)

Minutos (4x40): Trinidad Reyes and Partagas Shorts

Hope this helps,

Jeff

DrinkyBanjo
08-22-2006, 18:48
Any information helps. I had a box of 'real' Dominican Cohibas. The first one I had I didn't care for, the second one was very nice though. I'm a newbie when it comes to puros so maybe my palette is maturing a bit.

BourbonJoe
08-22-2006, 18:51
The Cuban Romeo & Juliettas are just as good as the Cohibas IMO :usflag: and a lot cheaper.
Joe

AVB
08-22-2006, 19:56
If you are a cigar smoker you should join www.cigarpass.com , the most user friendly cigar board I found.

BourbonJoe
08-23-2006, 06:58
Knowing that I liked the Romeo Y Julieta No. so well, which Cohiba would you recommend?
Ed

Ed,
Try the Cohiba Esplendido. Make sure it's not a counterfeit.
Joe :usflag:

Joeluka
08-24-2006, 09:49
Monte Cristo # 2, expensive but the pyramid all other pyrmaid's are measured up to.

TimmyBoston
08-25-2006, 03:03
Monte Cristo # 2, expensive but the pyramid all other pyrmaid's are measured up to.

MonteCristo #2 is my favorite cigar of all time. You definately should try it.

DrinkyBanjo
08-25-2006, 06:16
I don't know, my buddy told me they run about $40. I don't think I have enough cigar experience to appreciate something like that yet.

doubleblank
08-25-2006, 10:20
My friend and I smoked a couple of Monticristo #2's last night here in Calgary Canada. I purchased each for $31 Can.......$28 US. As many have already said, it can be a great smoke and is consistently a good one at it's worst.

I also like the Partagas Series D....at a little less cost then the #2's. There is a limited edition out from 2001 that I hope to try later today.

I also like the mid sized Bolivar's....but they can be a little too strong for the uninitiated.

Bottom line......Try the Monticristo No 2 at least once.

Randy

dgonano
08-28-2006, 12:33
I was in St. Barth's a few months ago and picked up a 3 pack of Monticristo #2 Habanas for $29 euro ( about $36 )... they were excellent!

DrinkyBanjo
09-24-2006, 17:29
Okay, I'm back from Ireland. I ended picking up some Montecristo Number 4, some El Rey Del Mundos, a Partagas number 4, and some Romeo Y Julietas. When I was there I tried a Punch but did not bring any back and I also sampled a Monte number 4, I think I liked the Punch better.

Looking forward to trying the rest. Thanks for your recommendations.

Joeluka
09-24-2006, 17:50
You didn't go for the Monte #2's????

DrinkyBanjo
09-24-2006, 17:54
I'm kicking myself about that now, luckily I have frequent visitors from Ireland and I will be instructing them to bring some back. I looked in Duty Free today and they only had 4s and 3s but no 2s. Next time.

DrinkyBanjo
10-17-2006, 17:06
You didn't go for the Monte #2's????

A three pack of Monte #2's have been acquired. Sometimes I love working for an international company.

Don't know when I'm going to try one but it won't be for a week or two.

Charter13
11-25-2006, 16:51
The Monte #2's can be spotty at times and are best with good age on them. Monte #4 is about one of the most consistent cigars of all time. (it is also the #1 selling Havana in the world) El Rey del Mundo, Partagas, RyJ, Monte, Cuaba and Punch all have good vitolas within their respective lines.

lar03
12-02-2006, 23:05
I'm oversea's right now, but unfortunately Im in Afghanistan, where I know everything is counterfit. I heard that you can bring Cubans back through customs, as long as it is a small number for personal use. Does any one know if this is true?

Edward_call_me_Ed
12-03-2006, 06:14
I'm oversea's right now, but unfortunately Im in Afghanistan, where I know everything is counterfit. I heard that you can bring Cubans back through customs, as long as it is a small number for personal use. Does any one know if this is true?

I, myself, wouldn't risk it. Of course, if you can get some while you are there you can smoke them there. Before I posted here about smoking Cuban cigars here in Japan, I checked to law to see if US citizens were prohibited from consuming cuban products while oversea.
Ed

Ps. Oops! Seems I didn't dig deeply enough! I have found, on the internet, a page stating that US citizens are not allowed to purchase products of Cuba while in a third country. I had checked a US government site that made no mention of this, it only stated that you couldn't bring them into the States.

http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/cuba/ccigar2.pdf

AVB
12-03-2006, 07:38
It is not true at all. In fact, as an American citizen you are not allowed to have any Cuban product even if you are not in the US. This falls under the "Trading with the Enemy Act" and is punishable by fines and imprisonment. This is a change that Dubya brought about in 2004(?) as it used to be legal to bring back up to $100 worth of goods for personal use.

DrinkyBanjo
12-03-2006, 13:16
Nothing for nothing I brought about 10 Cubans in with me without issue. A friend of mine works security at an airport and he said that they would confiscate them if they found them but most likely not press any charges.

Take that with a grain of salt at best!

jwrussell
12-05-2006, 14:13
A very large grain of a salt. There has recently been a very large upsurge in our wonderful Fed Gov. enforcing the embargo with Cuba including cigars. I would not, repeat not, risk bringing cigars back with you. It simply is not worth the hassle.

BarItemsPlus1
12-10-2006, 23:40
You guys must be looking forward to Castro's final day??

That does really suk you can't have Cuban products even outside the country...!

TNbourbon
12-11-2006, 12:46
It is not true at all. In fact, as an American citizen you are not allowed to have any Cuban product even if you are not in the US...

Umm, no. When I am in, say, the Bahamas, I am subject to Bahamas law, not U.S. law. If I buy a Cuban there and smoke it there, not only would the U.S. government never know about it, they couldn't do anything about it if they knew. It's outside their jurisdiction, as they say.
Now, bringing it back to the U.S. is another matter. Importing non-approved Cuban good IS definitely a no-no. And a good way to make sure you're baggage is inspected every time you travel.

MurphyDawg
12-20-2006, 18:33
You guys must be looking forward to Castro's final day??

That does really suk you can't have Cuban products even outside the country...!

actually no. I bet if the embargo got lifted, the gigantic flood of new customers would have disastarous effects on the quality of Cuban cigars.

TomC

jwrussell
05-03-2007, 13:35
Umm, no. When I am in, say, the Bahamas, I am subject to Bahamas law, not U.S. law. If I buy a Cuban there and smoke it there, not only would the U.S. government never know about it, they couldn't do anything about it if they knew. It's outside their jurisdiction, as they say.
Now, bringing it back to the U.S. is another matter. Importing non-approved Cuban good IS definitely a no-no. And a good way to make sure you're baggage is inspected every time you travel.

Not to be argumentative, but check the laws on this. The US Guberment does indeed have something to say about our smoking the wonderful Cuban leaf outside of the country and can, indeed make things quite unpleasant for you if they find out. I'm not saying it is enforceable in most cases, but the law does exist.

AVB
05-03-2007, 17:07
JW is correct, as a citizen you are "obligated" to follow the Trading With The Enemy Act no matter where you are.

jeff
05-03-2007, 17:11
JW is correct, as a citizen you are "obligated" to follow the Trading With The Enemy Act no matter where you are.

I believe that this is due to the embargo in this specific case and not a general rule for international travel. After all, it is permissible to drink alcohol overseas if you are under 21 but at-or-above the legal age in the country in which you are traveling.

DrinkyBanjo
05-03-2007, 17:51
I actually read what someone presented as the law on this. The way I saw it was that Americans are forbidden to purchase Cuban goods anywhere in the world, legal or not.

Obviously they cannot enforce it but that's what they say.

http://cigars.about.com/od/cubantradeembargo/index.htm

Cuban cigars are illegal in the United States. Interpretation of the laws affecting restrictions on buying, owning, importing, and smoking Cuban cigars, whether at home or traveling abroad.

jwrussell
05-04-2007, 06:35
I believe that this is due to the embargo in this specific case and not a general rule for international travel. After all, it is permissible to drink alcohol overseas if you are under 21 but at-or-above the legal age in the country in which you are traveling.

Correct, it has to do specifically with the Embargo/TWEA.

dave ziegler
05-01-2008, 05:49
When I was a Kid I worked after School at a small plant that Packed Chicken for Cambel Soup. The owners would always have bags of Cuban Seconds Cigars and I smoked many a one those Days I had to give up smoking when I was 20 years old got very sick, but when I was 16 I remember those Cuban cigars well the Best Cigar's I ever smoked!
Dave Z
Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
----------------------------------------------------