PDA

View Full Version : Uncommonly High Proof and Good, too

TimmyBoston
08-25-2006, 02:48
I was wondering why so many bourbons are very palatable and even excellent at such high proof levels, obvious examples being Stagg, William Larue Weller, OGD 114, and WT RB. I'm a big fan of Cask strength Scotch and I nearly always add a touch of water to cool the fire, while I drink Stagg neat with much success and virtually no burn. But, I have to add a dash of water to my Uigaedail. Can anyone articulate why bourbon tolerates such a high proof when nearly all other spirits pale in comparison?

TnSquire
08-25-2006, 06:03
Maybe the spirit loses something when you add salt, worm dirt and fish tails to the product???:grin:

Edward_call_me_Ed
08-27-2006, 20:09
I was wondering why so many bourbons are very palatable and even excellent at such high proof levels, obvious examples being Stagg, William Larue Weller, OGD 114, and WT RB. I'm a big fan of Cask strength Scotch and I nearly always add a touch of water to cool the fire, while I drink Stagg neat with much success and virtually no burn. But, I have to add a dash of water to my Uigaedail. Can anyone articulate why bourbon tolerates such a high proof when nearly all other spirits pale in comparison?

It might be you. I know that many people find Stagg drinkable neat and comment with amazement on how little burn there is. I on the other hand find it the most challenging whiskey I know to drink neat. I have only had a few, maybe half a dozen or so, cask strength malt whiskies but never found any of them to burn like Stagg. I don't know why.
Ed

TimmyBoston
08-29-2006, 03:23
It might be you. I know that many people find Stagg drinkable neat and comment with amazement on how little burn there is. I on the other hand find it the most challenging whiskey I know to drink neat. I have only had a few, maybe half a dozen or so, cask strength malt whiskies but never found any of them to burn like Stagg. I don't know why.
Ed

The first time I had Stagg, I was on vacation and staying at a friends of mine where there was a great whiskey collection. But the first time I took a drink, I thought my head was going to explode. He told me I should just wet my lips with Stagg neat, but I thought I was tough and didn't take him seriously. Once I bought a bottle and began to take the tiniest of sips I really started to enjoy the stuff. My friend told me when he introduced his neighbor to Stagg he had the exact same reaction. For me it was like when I began drinking better stuff and drank it neat as opposed to on the rocks. I had to learn how to drink again taking smaller sips as opposed to the size of drinks I took with wine or whisky watered down with lots of melting ice.

Edward_call_me_Ed
08-29-2006, 07:55
The first time I had Stagg, I was on vacation and staying at a friends of mine where there was a great whiskey collection. But the first time I took a drink, I thought my head was going to explode. He told me I should just wet my lips with Stagg neat, but I thought I was tough and didn't take him seriously. Once I bought a bottle and began to take the tiniest of sips I really started to enjoy the stuff. My friend told me when he introduced his neighbor to Stagg he had the exact same reaction. For me it was like when I began drinking better stuff and drank it neat as opposed to on the rocks. I had to learn how to drink again taking smaller sips as opposed to the size of drinks I took with wine or whisky watered down with lots of melting ice.

All good advice. I am nearing the end of my third bottle of Spring 2005 Stagg. And I have had lots of other high proof bourbons and malt whisky. I get more burn form Stagg. Unless, as I have learned to do, I drink Stagg with great attention to how my throat is going to receive it. Yesterday was such a day. I had a couple of pours of OGD 114 first. Then I poured myself a mere sip of Stagg. Heavenly! Then I poured a nice pour and sipped it for 30 minutesor so. Wonderful. Lest anyone misunderstand me, I have always loved the nose, taste and finish of this bourbon. But it does burn my throat.
Ed

Ubertaster
08-29-2006, 09:38
I normally reach for Buffalo Trace or Elijah Craig 12yo when I want a drink but here lately I have wanted a little more depth at the end of the night. I like to have a pour of William Larue Weller or George T. Stagg to put me to bed. I like to drink it neat with a sip of ice water once in a while to lesson the sting.

bj