PDA

View Full Version : At what temperature is bourbon best enjoyed?

thecrackup
09-18-2006, 20:20
Do you prefer to take it neat or with ice?

FlashPuppy
09-18-2006, 20:30
You, my friend, have just opened a can of worms. I believe there are topics covering this if you search. I enjoy to "taste" my bourbon rather than to "drink" it. I feel that I can get many more flavors, in nose and palate, if it is at room temperature. Some of the higher proof ones I will dilute slightly to bring out more flavors, sometimes. If I am enjoying a healthy pour, of say Wild Turkey 101, with my dinner, I will generally throw a few ice cubes in it.

So, I guess neat is my preference for enjoying my bourbons.

Big Chipper
09-19-2006, 08:54
I used to drop a cube or two in to soften the burn a bit, but now only drink it neat. I made the switch a while back and feel I get better sensory perceptions (taste, smell, and mouthfeel) neat.

scopenut
09-19-2006, 14:43
Same here, I used to drink exclusively on the rocks, but since reading this group, finding out about better bourbons, etc., I now almost always drink it neat. The only exception might be at a party/gathering where I'm not paying close attention to the subtleties of the drink.

-Kevin

jburlowski
09-19-2006, 15:27
At any temperature that is conducive to human beings.

jeff
09-19-2006, 16:03
At first I enjoyed my bourbon on ice, and I still enjoy it that way on a sunny summer afternoon, but soon after I started appreciating good whiskey I began drinking it mostly neat. I still prefer my bourbon slightly cooler than room temp; call it cellar temp-around 65 degrees. But since I don't have a cellar big enough for my wine and my bourbon, I usually end up drinking it at room temperature most of the year.

ratcheer
09-19-2006, 19:15
Do you prefer to take it neat or with ice?

Both ways.

Tim

TnSquire
09-19-2006, 19:21
Ice,neat, fresh out of the freezer. Its all good and depends on my mood.

cowdery
09-19-2006, 20:23
Usually neat.

Sometimes with a little water, especially if it is a high-proofer.

Rarely over ice.

Occasionally in a mixed drink, usually a manhattan or a whiskey sour.

Sometimes with water back (i.e., water on the side).

Sometimes with a beer back.

Bartenders love it when someone orders "Wild Turkey, neat, with a beer back." It makes them, and you, feel manly. Be warned that if you don't also call the beer (i.e., name a brand) you will get their "well" draft, whatever it is. Maybe it will be PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) and you will feel so manly you won't be able to stand it.

Gillman
09-19-2006, 20:58
What Chuck said applies to me exactly, except sometimes my beer is "front". :) I like the beer before the whiskey that is, sometimes just half a glass is enough. Other times a true back of beer is appreciated. It depends on mood, what I've been eating, etc. At Bettye Jo's recently there were some excellent beers and they went well with the whiskey, I found, but as always, moderation is necessary.

Gary

TimmyBoston
09-19-2006, 21:11
When I first started drinking hard liquor for enjoyment not debauchery, I took my bourbon on the rocks. Now, I drink it neat 95% of the time, every once in a while I'll drop a drop or two in some Pappy 15. I feel that for pure enjoyment neat really is the way to go, because with a very small sip you can savor a variety of flavors and aromas that are masked when too cold or muddled with ice. Try it drinking neat, especially when tasting new bourbons. If you don't like it, switch, there's nothing wrong with that, but give it a shot. I thik you'll find it enjoyable.

FlashPuppy
09-19-2006, 22:10
Maybe it will be PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) and you will feel so manly you won't be able to stand it.

Hey now. Why do you have to be like that Chuck? What's wrong with a PBR every once-in-a-while?

TimmyBoston
09-20-2006, 04:44
Hey now. Why do you have to be like that Chuck? What's wrong with a PBR every once-in-a-while?

For me it's the ulcers.

cowdery
09-20-2006, 08:49

You misread me. I meant that statement as entirely positive. Without question, sometimes a PBR is just the thing.

My personal choice for a good American macro-brew is Old Style.

FlashPuppy
09-20-2006, 09:31
Chuck-
I think that I left out a few well placed smilies for emotion. I will include them here instead - :grin: :drinking: :p

I haven't seen Old Style in years. Damn. Now I gotta find some. Thanks. :grin:

nor02lei
09-20-2006, 09:34
I guess I’m the odd one. I do prefer it neat or with water in first hand depending on brand and in second hand on proof. Ideal temperature for me is very slightly over normal room temperature with can be accomplish by a warm day/ warming the glass in the hand or drinking from a pocket flask. However if it gets to warm I think it gets more or less undrinkable.

Leif

mrt
09-20-2006, 10:06
It depends on my mood. Sometimes I prefer on the rocks, sometimes neat. During this summer, I prepared mint julep a few times.

But when it comes to a bourbon that I'll try for the first time, I take it neat at first.

ratcheer
09-20-2006, 15:53
Maybe it will be PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) and you will feel so manly you won't be able to stand it.
LOL! :slappin:

Tim

RedVette
09-21-2006, 18:08
On the rocks always. I also do not drink Coke out of a can, even if it is cold, I like ice. I have always been that way, and it carries over to my Bourbon.

robbyvirus
09-21-2006, 23:30

Old Style ROCKS! I haven't had one of those in about 20 years. And does anyone else remember Weidemann Beer?

I drink my bourbon almost exclusively on the rocks these days. I used to drink it neat, and I think the flavors are more prominent that way, but I started to have stomach problems which I learned I can avoid if I drink it on the rocks.

thecrackup
09-22-2006, 02:18
Love the PBR quote. I haven't had Pabst since my first year in college (when I couldn't afford anything else). Made me sick, more often than not. It's hard to feel manly when you're kneeling over a toilet bowl.

BobA
09-22-2006, 10:33
I guess my favorite is the ambient temperature of a fall night. A campfire should be involved. Othere than that, neat.

Bob

CrispyCritter
09-22-2006, 21:23
If I'm mixing a cocktail, there will be ice in the shaker (I usually stir rather than shake), but the ice will normally be strained out.

Otherwise, it goes into a Glencairn glass, either neat or with a splash of filtered water.

I normally have something non-alcoholic for a "back," though - often Diet Lime Coke.

gothbat
09-22-2006, 21:55
I’ve always liked my bourbon to be at least room temperature but a lot, not all, taste slightly better to me after they’ve had time to warm up a bit in the palm of my hand. Room temperature is how I started drinking bourbon, I once tried some Wild Turkey 101 with an ice cube and it didn’t taste good to me, so this is the way I always go now. Someday I’ll give the ice cube another shot with a different kind of bourbon since I tried this long before I actually tried "tasting" bourbon, are there any particular brands that you all enjoy more with an ice cube?

On the topic of beer, it goes well with a glass of bourbon and sometimes even better mixed. All the talk about Pabst reminds me of a quote I read in a book I have called 100 Proof, the beer section begins:

“What kind of beer do you like?”
“Heineken.”
“Heineken? Fuck that shit. PABST BLUE RIBBON!” (Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet)

I’ve never seen the movie nor have I tried Pabst Blue Ribbon and I do like my Heineken but it always makes me chuckle when I read it, maybe you will too…

wadewood
09-23-2006, 01:57
Exactly 299.67 Kelvin.

BourbonBalls
09-25-2006, 08:08
I once tried some Wild Turkey 101 with an ice cube and it didn’t taste good to me,…

Many agree that one small cube is a good addition....doesnt make it too cold, and adds a little water. It melts quickly too.

BUT...check the cube you are using! I've had experience of cube made with tap water that has too much "taste" of its own. As it melts it only serves to comtaminate the bourbon. Totally changes the taste for the worse. Use icecubes made with distilled water.

tgriff
09-26-2006, 14:16
back in the day, i would just drink bourbon on the rocks. however, as time goes on and i find my self trying to enjoy the taste of the bourbon more, the number of rocks is reduced.

i prefer the pour to be cool -it can be quite hot and humid in Charleston. someelse noted 65 degrees and that sounds good to me, so i still add a cube or two. i guess i am moving towards just drinking bourbon neat, because i really dislike watering down the pour too much.

arsbadmojo
09-28-2006, 09:23
Sometimes rocks, sometimes neat. Depends on my mood, but as others have said - for a 'first time' or serious tasting - always neat.

Originally Posted by cowdery

Old Style ROCKS! I haven't had one of those in about 20 years. And does anyone else remember Weidemann Beer?

I do. In fact, it is currently the least expensive beer for sale at a lot of local grocery stores, but only in cans. The Weidemann I remember came in squat brown bottles.

I like PBR and Old Style - but after a blind taste test of about 8 budget brews, my favorite is Schlitz. :)

Pastor Bourbon
06-12-2007, 07:48
Spirits in general, for me, are the antifreeze of alcohol, which is not to say I enjoy drinking Sterno or formaldehyde. I drink my spirits in the colder months neat especially Bourbon and usually drink beers and summer style wines in preference during the warmer months.

Gillman
06-12-2007, 07:56
I remember Wiedemann Royal Amber, but I never drank it. :)

It was one of the "holy grail" beers of the immediate-pre-microbrew area along with Prior Double Dark (a Czech-style garnet beer from Philly), Horlacher Perfection ("aged 9 months"), Ballantine IPA, Rainier Ale (aka The Green Death, still made I understand), and a few others (e.g., Andecker from the mid-west, the original Coors Banquet, Point beer or Point Special was it, which also is still made I think)).

I think the beers mentioned represented both quality and drinkability.

I wish someone would revive Royal Amber or Ballantine IPA. As for the Green Death, it deserves a revisit: maybe I'll pick up a case when on the West Coast next month.

Gary

mier
06-12-2007, 08:20
All according my taste,roomtemperature,chilled or out of the freezer but never in a mix or with ice.Eric.

Martian
06-12-2007, 11:48
Always neat if I'm trying a spirit for the first time. Neat in the winter (we have short winters in North Central Texas) and slightly warmer than room temperature. On the rocks is much more appropriate in our hot summers and I can keep the cold glass between the legs to keep the privates cool:grin: . I also enjoy gin on the rocks in summer. Very refreshing.

MikeK
06-12-2007, 12:24
Actually, I find many whiskeys improve significantly by a slight warming. I always drink out of a medium size brandy snifter and cup the bowl in my hand. The warming brings out additional pleasant flavors and aromas. In particular, Stagg looses some bite and develops even more richness.

Hyperspace
06-12-2007, 14:33
Room temp neat…that’s the ticket. :cool:

___

heatmiser
06-13-2007, 13:01
Always over a glass full of ice! :lol:

tango-papa
06-13-2007, 17:13
...and I can keep the cold glass between the legs to keep the privates cool...

That falls under the category of TMI (:skep: Too Much Information :skep:)!

~tp

ILLfarmboy
06-13-2007, 19:26
Neat at room temperature. 66 to 69 degrees.

T47
06-13-2007, 23:24
Almost always neat for me. On occasion I will throw in some ice cubes.
I tried to be creative once and I tried the same Bourbon neat, over ice, with a little water, out of the freezer, and then in a warm glass. It was interesting the way it changed the pour in each instance...but just interesting. Neat is my preferred style.

Dr. François
01-27-2008, 09:31
I've started storing my bourbons on the bottom shelf of my wine fridge/cellar. This keeps it at a constant temperature of around 60 degrees.

I prefer the slightly-chilled to true-room-temperature with both whiskey and wine.

spun_cookie
01-27-2008, 11:02
Depends on the proof... anything under 110 is neat... above that varies... I will drink the Staggs neat sometimes, but a cube or two ice opens it up some...

Bookers I add ice to temper the edge... Weller I drink neat because it is usually so smooth... etc, etc,

Everman75
01-27-2008, 16:29
Usually with an ice cube or two. On some lower proof like Four Roses, or extremely smooth ones like Weller, I like to drink neat. Interestingly, when I drink it neat, it is always in a snifter type glass.

barturtle
01-27-2008, 16:52
Body Temperature...

Special Reserve
01-28-2008, 15:55
Or room temperature.