PDA

View Full Version : Help for someone new.

nickynick
10-09-2006, 09:50
I have just started to move from beer to whiskey and I am enjoying it. Need some help though. Want to know what to try next. So outside of some JD and Jameson in college, until six months ago whiskey was new to me. I got started on the Macallan 12. I liked it a lot. But I realized it was a bit out my price range. Next I had a bottle of Crown Royal at my house that someone gave me a long time ago and I had never opened. I tried it, and it was ok. I wanted more and began to realize that bourbon might be my next step. I was able to pick-up a bottle of Woodford Resevre for only $23 in Chicago. I tried and liked it a great deal, very complex. I began to read more on Bourbon, and read a great deal about the Buffalo Trace lines. Which lead me to Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel. This was my favorite. Loved it. In trying to discover what I liked and didn't like I next tried Bushmill's Irish. This was ok, smooth, and sparked me enough to prehaps want to try some of the others in the Bushmills line. Last I have tried George A. Dickels no. 12. I liked this very much as well. Could see this being an everyday drinker.
So now I'm looking for help on where to go next. Also spending more then 34 or 35 dollars for a bottle would be a lot for me. Where else should I go in the Buffalo Trace line? What other bourbons are there to try for someone new. Thanks.

ProofPositive
10-09-2006, 11:02
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Bourbon! In terms of the Buffalo Trace (BT) family, and, not necessarily in any certain order:

1) Buffalo Trace - the distillery's flagship bottle and the second-best bang for around $20 on the market today (IMHO);

2) W.L. Weller 12yo - very good bottle from BT's wheat line and the best bang for around $20 on the market today (IMHO);

3) Eagle Rare 10yo Single Barrel - very good....worthy of this label's history, very affordable in the $25-30 range;

4) Lastly, if you are not afraid of a little heat....but, one with somewhat of a soft edge - try Old Weller Antique 107. It rivals anything BT produces from the wheat line and well worth the $20-25 cost.

In terms of outside the BT family (and again, not in any order), these are worth a try in my opinion:

Elijah Craig 12yo
Evan Williams Single Barrel 1995 (if you can find it),
AND,
Last but certainly not least by any stretch of the imagination, get a bottle of the ever-popular, legendary, good ole WILD TURKEY 101......you should be seasoned enough by now to give this one a shot without any fear.

There are many others out there from which to choose in the upper dollars range, but, these are some of the best under $30 IMHO.

nor02lei
10-09-2006, 11:22
I have just started to move from beer to whiskey and I am enjoying it. Need some help though. Want to know what to try next. So outside of some JD and Jameson in college, until six months ago whiskey was new to me. I got started on the Macallan 12. I liked it a lot. But I realized it was a bit out my price range. Next I had a bottle of Crown Royal at my house that someone gave me a long time ago and I had never opened. I tried it, and it was ok. I wanted more and began to realize that bourbon might be my next step. I was able to pick-up a bottle of Woodford Resevre for only $23 in Chicago. I tried and liked it a great deal, very complex. I began to read more on Bourbon, and read a great deal about the Buffalo Trace lines. Which lead me to Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel. This was my favorite. Loved it. In trying to discover what I liked and didn't like I next tried Bushmill's Irish. This was ok, smooth, and sparked me enough to prehaps want to try some of the others in the Bushmills line. Last I have tried George A. Dickels no. 12. I liked this very much as well. Could see this being an everyday drinker.
So now I'm looking for help on where to go next. Also spending more then 34 or 35 dollars for a bottle would be a lot for me. Where else should I go in the Buffalo Trace line? What other bourbons are there to try for someone new. Thanks.

Here is 3 real good pours outside the BT range for less than 20 buck. The 2 later I did learn to like visiting USA.
Wild Turkey 101
Old Forester 100 proof (partly from the same distillery as Woodford reserve)
Old Fitzgerald BIB 100 proof

Leif

cowdery
10-09-2006, 15:27
I concur with all of the above recommendations. I would add, just for some variety, Jim Beam black, Old Grand-Dad (bonded, if you can find it), Maker's Mark and Bulleit.

Personally, I rarely spend more than $25 for a bottle of bourbon. There are simply so many that I like that are in that price range, I see very little reason to spend more.

TimmyBoston
10-10-2006, 04:29
Welcome to our glorious spirit and welcome to SB.com. There are some real experts here with seemingly boundless knowledge (just not me :cool: ) You will really learn a lot, it's going to be one hell of ride. :grin:

nickynick
10-10-2006, 06:45
Picked up a bottle of the Eagle Rare 10 Year SB. Looking forward to tasting it. Let you all know soon. Thanks for all the suggestions.

jburlowski
10-10-2006, 15:37
I second the many great suggestions already made and add my welcome to the board!

Big Chipper
10-10-2006, 15:58
4) Lastly, if you are not afraid of a little heat....but, one with somewhat of a soft edge - try Old Weller Antique 107. It rivals anything BT produces from the wheat line and well worth the $20-25 cost.You may want to cross the border into NC. My ABC stocks Weller Antique 107 at $16.95 and has it on sale every other month for $13.95 without fail.

TimmyBoston
10-13-2006, 05:35
The ER 10 is a very good bottling, I just had some last night in fact.

nickynick
10-13-2006, 06:54
Went out to dinner with some friends last night. Had the Macallan 12 again. Didn't not like it nearly as much as I remembered. Ordered a Knob Creek after that, and was much more what I was looking for. No more scotch, just bourbon. Going to have that Eagle Rare after work today.

cowdery
10-13-2006, 12:56
...and another one bites the dust.

Welcome to the dark side.

ProofPositive
10-14-2006, 00:44
You may want to cross the border into NC. My ABC stocks Weller Antique 107 at $16.95 and has it on sale every other month for $13.95 without fail.

WOW....great deal on a great pour! How far into NC via the Smoky Mtns would one have to go to find one? In other words, the nearest wet county to Gatlinburg, TN(?). I may be up there in November and if close enough, might just take a side trip into your great state. Thanks!

ProofPositive
10-14-2006, 00:52
Went out to dinner with some friends last night. Had the Macallan 12 again. Didn't not like it nearly as much as I remembered. Ordered a Knob Creek after that, and was much more what I was looking for. No more scotch, just bourbon. Going to have that Eagle Rare after work today.

Another good one. I am not real big fan of the Beam family but KC and Booker's are 2 that I would not pass up if given the opportunity. In the future, if you have the extra bucks - try Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It can be had for around $32-37 depending on the state. You'll be glad you tried it. Just be careful! It is very smooth and easy to over do it! Welcome Again!

BobA
10-14-2006, 11:22
WOW....great deal on a great pour! How far into NC via the Smoky Mtns would one have to go to find one? In other words, the nearest wet county to Gatlinburg, TN(?). I may be up there in November and if close enough, might just take a side trip into your great state. Thanks!

If you head over the Park from G'burg, you'll find Bryson City, which I think has a state store. Check on ncabc.com for it or other handy locales. You'll also find the Cherokee reservation, but I think it's dry.

Have fun.

Bob

ProofPositive
10-15-2006, 01:00
If you head over the Park from G'burg, you'll find Bryson City, which I think has a state store. Check on ncabc.com for it or other handy locales. You'll also find the Cherokee reservation, but I think it's dry.

Have fun.

Bob

Thanks! About as low as Antique 107 gets around my area is $22-25. I would not drive 475 miles from the west end of Tennessee where I live to NC to save $5-8, but, if I find myself in ET this fall I will make the trip over the mountains to see what lies in stores there as far as bourbon is concerned. Always like a new bourbon adventure!