PDA

View Full Version : What Bourbon Are You Drinking Now? (Fall Edition 06)

Pages : [1] 2

jbutler
10-10-2006, 08:48
Summer's over folks, and the saga continues.

Not consuming it at the moment, but last night it was a tax stamped Weller from the late seventies/very early eighties that barrel_proof gave me this summer. Absolutely brilliant when consumed with some good dark chocolate!

photogjunkie
10-10-2006, 09:45
Last night was a "taste and compare" evening. Started off with Old Grand Dad 86 8year old National Distillers 1986, followed by Old Taylor 86 6year old National Distillers 1987, and finished with Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12year old Heritage Collection early '90s.

The Old Grand Dad won by a mile.

cowdery
10-10-2006, 17:40
I finished off a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye 80 proof last night, that I only bought because the BIB wasn't available that day. Although I tend to find 80 proof whiskeys too diluted, I was still impressed with the quality of it. Heaven Hill has really done a terrific job with this brand. They got it exactly right.

One thing I've noticed with 80 proof whiskey is that it helps to take bigger sips.

At the moment, though, I'm sucking on some Old Commonwealth 107 proof.

Nebraska
10-10-2006, 18:32
I reached to my mid shelf, because it was the closest and pulled out a Weller tax stamp...

Ok #1 my variety lies in which day of the week I bought my Bulleit on or which WT 101 had the shiniest label.

I'm coming to California and setting up a tent in your back yard. I'll wait till the patio door is open and then race in to get my nightly poor!:bigeyes:

Does your dog bite?:lol:

Of course I realize you have been at this a day or two longer than me. Hopefully, one day I will be able to post comparable posts. Until then, I am Kelly green with envy:bowdown:

By the way tonight's pour (and enjoying it immensely), 2006 Rittenhouse rye BIB with fingerprints on the bottle.

Nebraska
10-10-2006, 18:33
P.S. I'm having a Butterfinger with it:slappin:

smokinjoe
10-10-2006, 19:46
A couple of small pours of Old Fitz BIB, Maker's, and Four Roses Small Batch. All were very, very good. But, the Four Roses continues to amaze me. There is so much to this whiskey, that I can't begin to describe it. Floral nose, and a hit of licorice, and, and, and. This one may become the 9th bourbon in my top 5!
Well done Four Roses!
:toast:

JOE

SBOmarc
10-10-2006, 20:34
....And the bar had WT RR 101, 2 very nice pours neat. Wife had a split of Moet Chandon White Star.

straightwhiskeyruffneck
10-10-2006, 20:38
evan williams (regular black label, not the 7yr.) with coca cola black.
i usually drink cc black with OGD BIB 100, but i'm out. very good when i want a drink, but dont want to drink my whiskey strait.

Virus_Of_Life
10-11-2006, 00:16
WT 12 year export version, later sometime soon I'll write about my impressions on the differences between the 3 predominant versions of the 12 year turkeys and how different they seem to be... This one it seems really has a nose that doesn't match it's palate. Pretty decent pour for the duty free price that I paid.

Earlier tonite it was one of the many great values around $20, Buffalo Trace. A worthy and elegant looking everyday pour.

TimmyBoston
10-11-2006, 01:44
Wild Turkey Rare Breed, I hadn't know how much I missed it, probably Eagle Rare 10 next, but we'll see.

Randy_Ricchi
10-11-2006, 19:41
I'm having Henry McKenna Single Barrel, bbl#285, but because it's my last pour of the evening I don't have the wherewithall to properly describe it (although I did have the wherewithall to type the word wherewithall).

I'll just say that it is an unbelievably good bourbon. Who would have thought an Irishman could care so much about making good whiskey? ;^)

(I only dare a joke like that because I have some Irish ancestry in me)

Pappy's Friend
10-11-2006, 19:54
I'm having Black Maple Hill 14-year tonight. I just got my prize possessions and can't wait to try them this weekend - one bottle each of the BT experimentals! I'll share my reaction to them as soon as I open them.

ej178
10-11-2006, 20:38
Just got a shipment from Hi-Times two weeks ago with some Eagle Rare, Old Charter 8 year old, Weller SR, Weller Antique, and an Evan Williams SB.

I have been enjoying all of them with the exception of the Old Charter. For some reason it reminds me of Evan Williams Black.

The Weller SR is just one heck of a bang for the buck.

barturtle
10-11-2006, 21:23
I have been enjoying all of them with the exception of the Old Charter. For some reason it reminds me of Evan Williams Black

This may be one of the first references to drinking OC 8yo that I know of. I am currently using a bottle as my cooking whiskey (it was on sale and the cheapest thing in the grocery) I did try it just because I had never had it. I found it to be a bit on the light side and very plain. For the price -1.75 in the mid teens- it may well be the best drink in its price range, but it's still in the very low end. This is a whiskey that needs some age and to not be watered down so much. The 12yo is much better, so is the 13yo, but the 12 yo is so much cheaper, it is definitely the sweet spot in the price/performance game.

And just to stay completely on topic, I'm gonna go pour a OC 13yo!

gothbat
10-11-2006, 21:26
I just had a small taste of Rock Hill Farms from the only bottle I have ever owned. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised to find that it did not taste odd this time but rather quite good. Perhaps I shall investigate further this weekend.

tcrane78
10-12-2006, 05:16
Evan Williams Vintage 1995 and 1996 and some 1792. I can't wait for the Evan Williams Vintage 1997 to come out, I will for sure be sippin on some of that this fall as well.

JDutton
10-12-2006, 09:39
Wild Turkey 101 and Evan Williams SB 95. I just bought and tried EC 18 for the first time and will just have to see if I get used to it.

SBOmarc
10-12-2006, 15:55
GTS Fall '05, Makes me wonder why I waited so long to open this bottle.

jburlowski
10-12-2006, 19:30
WT 101

Stopped by a local place tonight. Haven't beeen there in... I don't know... way too long.

Saw a jar on the bar. "Donations for Roger". What happened to Roger? Pancreatic cancer... spread to his lungs... only a few months left.

Suddenly every thing seems hollow. Empty. Roger is not really a friend --- more of an acquaintance. A bearded iron worker and guitar player with an amazingly rich baritone voice. The stereotypical "hail fellow / well met" Someone who shared a hello, a joke, a drink, a laugh, a faux serious / philosophical observation. A fellow traveler in life.

I stared into my glass as the silence in the bar seemed to wrap around all of us.

After an eternity (probably around the third pour), the door opens. In walks... Roger. At once both a shadow of his former self and yet bigger than life. Ravaged yet unbowed by the radiation and chemo. Greetings and (what otherwise would have been embarassed) hugs are shared by all. We all try to avoid the truth that hangs in the air (Roger much more successfully than the rest of us.)

A toast... I with my bourbon; others with a bottle of beer or whatever is at hand. Roger with a Pepsi... all that his stomach can handle right now.

"To tomorrow"

The silence returns... both comforting and awkward at the same time.

Later, as I leave, I stick a twenty into the jar on the bar. Life really sucks sometimes.

WT 101

SBOmarc
10-12-2006, 19:51
..and to all others that life has dealt a tough hand.

Thanks for sharing that story.

Ambernecter
10-13-2006, 13:01
I just had a small taste of Rock Hill Farms from the only bottle I have ever owned. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised to find that it did not taste odd this time but rather quite good. Perhaps I shall investigate further this weekend.
Phew!

"Rather quite good" is praise indeed from you Mr. Gothbat... I got back to my last couple of slugs of RHF last night and found that my sister had nicked some and watered it down, hoping I wouldn't notice. I did, needless to say.

Oh well no harm done - a JB black tonight followed by a small Booker's that really is just the ticket.

Maybe one more for Elvis?

Nebraska
10-13-2006, 15:06
I got back to my last couple of slugs of RHF last night and found that my sister had nicked some and watered it down, hoping I wouldn't notice. I did, needless to say.

I'm pretty sure there are laws against this. If there aren't, there should be. Buy her a bottle for her birthday. I don't care if she is 12. Buy her a bottle and tell her adding water to the bottle is a death warrant.:lol:

I have nightmares when I read stuff like this. I know 12 or 13 years down the road I'm going to be dealing with the same stuff!

Briscott99
10-13-2006, 15:13
Friday the 13th finds me with new bottles of Rock Hill SB and Old Grand-dad 114. Both bourbons are new for me as a taster, and both could not be more different from one another... my first impressions: I love the aggressiveness of OGD 114, super spicy, medium hot :hot:, vanilla, wow! :grin: This bourbon is quite different from anything in my collection. I drank the first half neat and then added some water and I find some subtle fruity flavors coming out now.

The Rock Hill by comparison has a much fruitier (and less spicy) nose... perhaps this bourbon is more refined or maybe it's just the decanter bottle that's throwing me. It's not nearly as hot as OGD and the mouth not quite as spicy. Caramel, some citrus. This strikes me as a sophisticated bourbon, an easy drinker.

After trying both of these my stomach is warm and my head just beginning to swim slightly. I'm happy with both of these additions to my collection... I'm not in the least disappointed with either. Win Win!

Let's just keep it a secret from my wife that I picked up an other two bottles today.
She claims the other 7 bottles I currently have are enough. :rolleyes:
Pish Posh!

RedVette
10-13-2006, 15:18
Weller 7 yr 90. On sale at my local emporium for $14.99. This is a darn good $15 pour, and it would be a good $20 pour and it might even be a good $25 pour. I love a bargain.

ratcheer
10-13-2006, 15:42
Let's just keep it a secret from my wife that I picked up an other two bottles today.
She claims the other 7 bottles I currently have are enough. :rolleyes:
Pish Posh!

That's what they all say. :lol:

Tim

DrinkyBanjo
10-13-2006, 17:29
I'm going on the cheap tonight, Heaven Hill 10, Evan Williams 1783, and next will be AAA 10 YO. Three bottles that add up to less than $40. Not too much depth but the nose hasn't disappointed yet. However, each have required a good bit of warmth in the glass to make the nose come out.

FlashPuppy
10-13-2006, 19:17
I am enjoying my first pour of Eagle Rare 10yr SB tonight. I like it enough to drink it, not sure if I will buy again at the price yet though.

wskybnt
10-13-2006, 19:25
Pappy 15 tonight, one of my top fav's....... :drinking:

Pappy's Friend
10-13-2006, 19:27
Black Maple Hill 14 year tonight.

photogjunkie
10-13-2006, 19:59
I've been debating this evening which bottle to break open when I get off work, which will be shortly. Though I have half a dozen open bottles I'm working on at the present, I can't bring myself to the point of letting them get too low or polishing any of them off...at least not tonight. So a new bottle goes in rotation when I get home. I'm thinking either a BT or ETL, something I can replace and haven't had in awhile.

BT it is.

SBOmarc
10-13-2006, 20:32
Continuing to sip GTS Fall '05.

I need to find more.

CrispyCritter
10-13-2006, 20:46
First a pour of Sazerac Jr., followed by Old Fitzgerald BIB. :drink:

ej178
10-14-2006, 07:06
[QUOTE=barturtle]This may be one of the first references to drinking OC 8yo that I know of.

Unfortunatley I have not been able to find other OC offerings. I picked it up, like you, just to try it.

Rughi
10-14-2006, 08:26
This may be one of the first references to drinking OC 8yo that I know of. I am currently using a bottle as my cooking whiskey...

Some of us not only drank Old Charter 8yo, but one-upped it with an example of Old Charter 7yo that came from....YOU!

Check out this link (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=61325&postcount=116)

Roger

barturtle
10-14-2006, 08:47
Doh!! What was I thinking trading a bottle of that wonderful elixir? But, I digress, that bonded whiskey is a heck of a leap in quality over the 8yo 80 proof stuff you get today. My OC 8yo was bought specifically as a cooking whiskey, as my bottle of Old Crow had been emptied, and the OC 8 was the cheapest thing on the shelf...unless you count store brands as actually existing.

Pappy's Friend
10-14-2006, 14:34
Friday the 13th was indeed a lucky day for me. I had a pour of Black Maple Hill 14-year, followed by some EC18, and a little Booker's to top it off!

gothbat
10-14-2006, 20:03
Some Rock Hill Farms, the other night was a fluke, it’s not bad but still tastes odd as ever.

Nebraska
10-14-2006, 22:13
Trying to force down some Old forester BIB 1979. ok...maybe not force down. Was forced to buy 2 bottles at the time. Bastards.

ProofPositive
10-14-2006, 23:51
Although I am not supposed to be consuming anything right now after being on antibiotics for a week, I consulted the good Dr. Van Winkle a short while ago about the situation. Dr. Pappy suggested some of his homemade 15/107 elixir could only reinforce the pharmaceutical medications. So, I have followed the good doctor's orders. After only a sip or two, I am feeling much better!

gr8erdane
10-15-2006, 11:45
You know, whether it's a teenage daughter or grown up sister I'd think you could make your point by adding water to whatever they normally drink and ask them if they can tell the difference. Make sure it's sufficient that they can't deny it and then give them that "see, I will know" look.

BTW, watching footgall today is cause for a pour of Stagg, and it's time I took up that worthy cause....but which one?????? Oh well, whichever has the most in the bottle I guess.....

Pappy's Friend
10-15-2006, 12:37
Although I am not supposed to be consuming anything right now after being on antibiotics for a week, I consulted the good Dr. Van Winkle a short while ago about the situation. Dr. Pappy suggested some of his homemade 15/107 elixir could only reinforce the pharmaceutical medications. So, I have followed the good doctor's orders. After only a sip or two, I am feeling much better!

He's a wise one, that Dr. Pappy!

OscarV
10-15-2006, 12:57
This weeekend I opened my Old Bardstown Estate Bottled 10 year old 101 proof.
It's not bad. corn husk nose. vanilla and a little spice burn taste. dry short finish.
after a couple neat, I then load it up with crushed ice and way I go.

gothbat
10-15-2006, 20:31
Despite the reassurance of a few helpful members on this forum I still worry that maybe something went wrong with my home-made wine. So, purely in the interest of my health, I’m drinking some WT101 to kill any organisms that may now be living in my stomach. :)

ej178
10-15-2006, 21:03
My standard answer to people who say they are not feeling well is "You are not drinking enough bourbon."

kitzg
10-16-2006, 05:35
...the Four Roses continues to amaze me. There is so much to this whiskey,...:toast:

JOE

Agreed. We can all be very glad Jim Rutledge convinced the Japanese that they should sell some of it here. While not my absolute favorite, I am always glad when I have a bottle on my shelf.

Old Bill
10-16-2006, 09:42
Picked up a bottle of Rebel Yell for 12 bucks here in Minnesota. First time I've seen this brand at the liquor store. Not bad......

BourbonJoe
10-16-2006, 12:16
"Fricky" and I had a pour of Michter's 101 from 1979, Michter's 86 from 1976, Four Roses Small Batch and a Pappy 23 today after snooping around the old Michter's Distillery in Schaefferstown PA.
Joe :usflag:

shaggy
10-16-2006, 18:50
As far as bourbon goes, I love the Vintage 17 YO right now to drink neat. I prefer the Old Weller 12 YO to mix. I have been drinking a lot of Rye. I just finished off a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB and several bottles of the Sazerac Jr. I just bought a bottle of Bernheim wheat tonight and I am sipping on it now. I can't wait for the new BT 2006 Antique Collection to hit later this week or early next week. The new Thomas Handy and Stagg are supposed to be the best of the best.

doubleblank
10-16-2006, 18:54
Going slightly old school tonight. RHF BIB ......bottled in '96. Its not listed as a BIB any more. Slightly richer than current RHF. I like RHF old and new. A higher proof version of the discontinued Benchmark Single Barrel. The two clearly have a family relationship.

Randy

Nebraska
10-16-2006, 19:07
Going slightly old school tonight. RHF BIB ......bottled in '96

Didn't know there was such an animal. I learn a half dozen new things or so every day here.

I went to reach for a pour this evening, I looked at several, it cold and drizzling outside, I just had Stagg the other night, so...Wild Turkey Rye sounded kind of back down to earth. Nothing fancy, just a comfortable pour at comfortable price.

Of course then you have to add in sales tax, state tax, city tax, federal tax which screws the whole thing up:hot: :lol:

doubleblank
10-17-2006, 19:07
In response to this thread and the "Whiskey Don't Keep" one, I'm having my final pour of Van Winkle Family Reserve....distilled 1970....bottled 1984. This one is clearly in the vein of the Very Old Fitz 8 and 12yo's of years gone by. Some rich caramel on the nose......and ripe banana on the tongue. Julian says they changed the mash bill after the sale in '72 and this whiskey confirms it.....this is a spiting image of those Very Old Fitz's. This is a fine whiskey for sure.......but I think I actually prefer the subtle sweetness of Julian's later SW whiskeys.

Randy

TNbourbon
10-17-2006, 19:32
Am enjoying some OGD 114 from 1981 -- National Distillers days -- and like a similar-era BIB I had a while back, this has "sweetened" appreciably after removing (aka, 'drinking') the top third of the bottle. Strong whiff of butteriness in the nose which turns into red taffy.
Light cinammon/Red Hots on the palate, with a moderately long, leathery finish.
I'm glad to have come across a mini-stash of these ND beauties earlier this month.:cool:

ProofPositive
10-17-2006, 22:12
Tonight, for some strange reason - no particular occasion, I decided to finally try the old 4/5 bottle of WT101 8yo that I acquired several months ago from a collection in Missouri. I have been looking at this bottle out of the corner of my eye for the last several months as it sat in the far left side of the bunker about halfway to the back of the cabinet.

Before I begin, I have a question and know someone here has the answer: how do I read the code on the bottom of the bottle to determine the age? Other than the normal "Liquor Bottle" lettering, the only other letters/numbers on the bottom are "1-" above the numbers "60 71" and then the letter "I" with a circle around it. Does that tell me anything?

Anyhow, I got this bottle last March. It was sealed and had an Indiana tax stamp in addition to the red one across the cap. Other than slight evaporation, there was only one problem.....but, a glaring & potentially serious one at that - the cork was seriously deteriorated. I would say about 1/3 of it was gone and you could see some residue in the vaunted bourbon - most of which was floating on the surface but some in the bottom as well. The previous owner told me it had sat upright in his cabinet for the last 20 years with no movement except for the occasional dusting cloth......arrrggghhh!!!!

Although somewhat disappointed, I took the bottle home anyway. I let it sit around for a few months trying to figure out what to do while reading as much as possible about such a problem and remedies thereof here on the Forum. Finally, in July I decided on a course of action. I opened the Turkey and triple-filtered the contents through 2 coffee filters each time into a stainless steel saucepan. At the same time, I thoroughly cleaned out the old bottle taking care not to harm any of the labels or seals. After the bottle was dry, I poured the contents from the pan back into the bottle thru a funnel and sealed it shut with a recently discarded WTRR cork cap.

Fearing the worst, I found myself holding that bottle up to a strong light at least once a week ever since July to see if it was cloudy or had any more cork residue. Although my eyes are not what they use to be, it has always appeared clear and no cork residue ever seen again. Well, like I said, tonite became the night to put all fears aside and go for it. I poured it neat, took a sniff, and then a generous sip. Much to my great delight and surprise, I was immediately taken back years to days gone by. I found a nose & taste that was unmistakeable.....one I had not enjoyed in many, many years. There was absolutely zero (or at the most very minimal) harm done to this bottle of good ole 8yo Turkey! It is nearly perfect.....as Turkey 101 once was - and still can be found today in RB in my opinion.

The moral of the story: I wasted all that time fearing the worst while missing some of the best bourbon ever made! I feel very lucky and fortunate considering that most of the time, cork - and especially as much as appeared to be gone in this instance, usually ruins the taste of the contents according to what I have read here. This time, luck was on my side.

TimmyBoston
10-19-2006, 02:38
Slummin' it tonight, 1783, but what a way to slum! :cool:

jburlowski
10-19-2006, 12:46
Bad day at work:

GTS 2003

Nebraska
10-19-2006, 16:10
2006 Birthday Bourbon. My first Old Forester BB. I kept tap dancing around this one, until I had a taste at Cliff's (Thanks Cliff). I love it here in Nebraska. But the bar and the back porch in Ken-tuck at Cliff's shack were conducive to drinking bourbon and shooting the breeze with friends.

tgriff
10-20-2006, 17:56
about to have my second pour of WT101.

NorCalBoozer
10-20-2006, 20:00
well after reading the Chuck's Bourbon County Reader, what else could I pour except some Michters? I'm having a gold foil. The story behind this whiskey makes it that much more enjoyable.

SBOmarc
10-20-2006, 21:45
Wild Turkey KS...and heading for a nice pour of Fall 05 Stagg.

Barrel_Proof
10-20-2006, 22:02
I lucked into this find -- a 5 bottle stash of KBD's "Pure Kentucky" from 8-8-88, bottled on 9-11-03. Gotta be the luckiest whiskey barrel date of the last century! This is one fine 15 yo, rye recipe bourbon -- spicy, full and round without overpowering oak, primo (that's a Hawaiian term) nose, and a finish that XO cognac's lust after but mostly fail to achieve.

Virus_Of_Life
10-20-2006, 22:48
You know Cliff, I think I have a bottle of PK from that very batch! It's in storage at the moment so I can't verify that I am pretty sure it is Auguest sometime, but I really like it I know that.

As for tonite it is finish a bottle, cuz whiskey don't keep night and there is an empty bottle support group out there, WT 12 year Export Only version - now empty. I have to say the nose on this stuff is truly amazing it has that same cherry lying under rootbeer/sarsparilla float thing I first noticed in the Gold Foil 12, but the palate on the export just hits with so much wood its hard to pick out the cherry and vanilla on the palate. After a splash of cool water and sitting about 30 minutes it balances out a little better but still too woody.

Next,...... well bed because I am tired after working 70 hours this week, and that was before noon today - and I have to back in tomorrow :rolleyes:

CrispyCritter
10-20-2006, 23:32
Nightcap: my second-to-last pour of Fall '05 Stagg, neat.

Earlier tonight: one Martinez (with M&R red vermouth, Luxardo maraschino, and orange bitters), another Martinez (NP white vermouth, Luxardo triple sec); both of these used Plymouth gin. Then, a variation of the Red Hook (Bénédictine instead of maraschino, Rittenhouse BIB, and Punt e Mes, with peach bitters).

Good thing I don't have to drive anywhere tonight. :falling: :slappin:

Joeluka
10-21-2006, 10:02
I lucked into this find -- a 5 bottle stash of KBD's "Pure Kentucky" from 8-8-88, bottled on 9-11-03. Gotta be the luckiest whiskey barrel date of the last century! This is one fine 15 yo, rye recipe bourbon -- spicy, full and round without overpowering oak, primo (that's a Hawaiian term) nose, and a finish that XO cognac's lust after but mostly fail to achieve.

Is the bottle on those the old style bottle or the new one???

jburlowski
10-21-2006, 12:17
Finishing off a bottle of Blanton's... I'd forgotten how much I enjoy the dry finish.

ProofPositive
10-21-2006, 23:39
In the following order:

First, Kentucky Vintage (found a bottle today and decided to take a $20 chance on it.....not bad, not bad at all!)

Second, OGD 114 / UD Era bottle

Last, ORVW 15/107

barturtle
10-22-2006, 00:23
This evening I am working on adding another bottle to the Empty Bottle Support Group...Bernheim Wheat. I like this bottlin more everytime I visit it. Probably not gonna hit my top ten anytime soon, but still a fine whiskey. I even manage to consider the price justifiable-compare it to any of the other new whiskey styles (BTEC and WRFG) and it's quite the bargain.

CrispyCritter
10-22-2006, 17:30
First, a Red Hook mixed using Fleischmann's Rye - very good!

Now, a glass of Crispy Critter's Can-Am Four Grain, aka a 50/50 in-the-glass mix of Old Fitzgerald BIB and Tangle Ridge. The first sips seemed a bit thin to me, but as I drink more of it, the flavor comes out. :yum: If I had a small bottle (like a 200 ml), I'd want to put some of this into it and give it a few weeks to marry.

EDIT: Well, that didn't last long! :drink:

Now I'm having a pour of Beam Black. This will be my next member of the Empty Bottle Club, since I finished off the Fall '05 Stagg last night.

Big Chipper
10-23-2006, 12:36
My current rotation: PVW 15/107, GTStagg, Knob Creek, ER SB, EW 1783.

SBOmarc
10-23-2006, 16:17
A fresh bottle of Blanton's.

Ubertaster
10-23-2006, 18:53
I first started with WT Rare Breed and now have a pour of William Larue Weller. What a nice way to end the day.

bj

bigtoys
10-23-2006, 21:00
Russell's Reserve (pretty sure I met him at WhiskyFest Chicago 2004).
Loooking for George Dickel Barrel Select for this weekend;:hot: I know, it's not bourbon, but I sitlll like it.

P&J
10-24-2006, 18:01
Ok, three weeks away from civilization... Tomorrow i start the journey home from the frozen North. So, what will I be drinking (tomorrow)? I am already planning.

Noon tomorrow, the first plane... it's a charter, two drinks for $4. lol It'll be black Jack or Wild Turkey. Probably WT.
Anchorage airport for a long layover. Options are slim. Maker's Mark.
After I leave Seattle, Delta Airlines does stock Woodford Reserve.
And when I finally get home Thursday I'm looking forward to Rittenhouse Rye, Wild Turkey Rye, EC12, and Buffalo Trace... in no particular order, but a welcome home taste from each.
I'm also going to go straight out and pick a bottle of Bulleit and a Pogue maybe.

Your posts here have kept warm for the last three weeks, but now I'm like a starving(?) man.
Whiskey, here I come!
Jeff

("oh, hi Paula"):bowdown:

TimmyBoston
10-25-2006, 02:58
Talisker 10, warmed me right up after a walk with my dog and a pipe.

jburlowski
10-25-2006, 15:00
My neighbor just stopped over to say hello with a bottle of WT KS under his arm.

I love my neighborhood!

ratcheer
10-25-2006, 15:56
My neighbor just stopped over to say hello with a bottle of WT KS under his arm.

I love my neighborhood!

Yeah, that never happens to me.

Tim

cowdery
10-25-2006, 18:57

I love my neighborhood!

Where do you live? In heaven?

(Never happens to me either.)

FlashPuppy
10-25-2006, 20:16
I love my neighborhood!

I love your neighborhood too!! Got an extra room? :lol:

I opened a bottle which I have been cherishing for a while. I have a few bottles of WTRR101 bunkered, and figured tonight would be as good as any to crack one open. Yum.

TimmyBoston
10-25-2006, 22:44
Where do you live? In heaven?

:slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin:

Ambernecter
10-26-2006, 09:54
Tonight it's a WT 101 8YO followed by a BT 90 proof. Great pours at a good price (£18) even in bandit country otherwise known as England!

Had a Black Bush the other night for a change of pace and wished I hadn't bothered. Not offensive in any way but just so bland and lacking in comparison to my fave spirit...

bigtoys
10-26-2006, 19:44
Mini challenge: Woodford Reserve vs Knob Creek
Winner: Woodford Reserve.
Called Sam's; still no Dickel barrel select

gothbat
10-28-2006, 23:29
After a highly enjoyable night of drinking beer (mostly thanks to beer pong :) ) at my friends Halloween party it is absolutely Nirvana to have a few sips of Fall 2005 GTS. :)

TimmyBoston
10-28-2006, 23:50
Talisker 10, really feels great after a long cold weather walk.

TimmyBoston
10-29-2006, 02:28
Black Maple Hill 11 before bed, very good.

brian12069
10-29-2006, 17:48
Rittenhouse 100 proof BIB...

Nebraska
10-29-2006, 18:40
Old Bardstown 10 yo, thank you Drew et al, and Wathens...11/01/05...I may want to have my ear bent about the latter and it's earlier version. I've read...but still have some, well, things I'd like to discuss. It's an interesting pour, with an interesting discussion to follow up on. Having a nice evening with both pours.

smokinjoe
10-29-2006, 18:42
Blanton's to finish off the weekend. I still don't believe they get 750ml in this bottle. It's just seems too small...:skep: Oh well, that just means I can go buy another that much earlier!:D

JOE

SBOmarc
10-29-2006, 19:38
Knob Creek...under $20, 9 year old 100 proof pour. I should wish for more...

TimmyBoston
10-30-2006, 01:21
Ardbeg Uigaedail and Laphroaig 10. A wonderful 1, 2 punch to cap off the day.

gothbat
10-30-2006, 21:32
Some Old Weller Antique 107. I'm almost glad they were out of FC103, this is my second time buying it and I think I like it a little better.

TimmyBoston
10-31-2006, 01:11
WT RR 101, I'm going to miss this stuff so much when it's gone.

Ambernecter
10-31-2006, 16:28
VW Lot B.

I love this whiskey...

bucky1
10-31-2006, 18:04
Following up a rather cold night of chaperoning trick or treating and an impromptu hot chocolate party with ten 12 yr olds...WT12 Foil...good stuff!

Jon

Nebraska
10-31-2006, 19:25
You are a brave man Jon...a gaggle of ten year olds... I shudder to think:lol:

2006 Birthday bourbon here...OFBB

whitepine
10-31-2006, 22:30
Fighting Cock:bigeyes:

FlashPuppy
11-01-2006, 16:53
Just poured myself a decent amount of an exceptional ORVW 15/107. Delicious!!!

CrispyCritter
11-01-2006, 19:02
I'm sipping some ORVW 10/107 right now, after a pour of Saz Jr. and an earlier Fleischmann Rye-based Red Hook.

ORVW 10 is distinctly different from {OR,P}VW 15, but it's still one hell of a good bourbon!

mobourbon
11-01-2006, 19:24
2006 Stagg. Great taste! Very smooth going down. Great finish. Buffalo Trace scored this year! Much better than the 2005 version.

NorCalBoozer
11-01-2006, 19:24
50/50 mix of EC 18 and Very Rare Old Heaven Hill 10. The sum is greater than the parts. really a solid pour.

SBOmarc
11-01-2006, 21:28
EC 12 to a nice pour of EWSB 96. Love the fact hat both of these pours give you a solid taste at such a reasonable price.

cowdery
11-02-2006, 11:17
A healthy dram from one of my early-70s Old Fitzgerald BIB decanters. Oh, how I love it so.

Pappy's Friend
11-02-2006, 17:54
Last night it was a pour of Vintage 21 year. Tonight, it'll be 14 year Black Maple Hill.

ratcheer
11-02-2006, 18:07
I had a shot of Elmer T. Lee. The aroma and flavor were perfect, but it "burned" my mouth and my tummy. :hot: It must have been what I had for lunch.

Tim

NorCalBoozer
11-02-2006, 21:23
again had the 50/50 mix of EC 18 and very rare old HH. I like this so much I'm going to mix the two bottle together. the EC 18 is my longest open bottle, so i'm glad to find a way to mix it to life into something enoyable.

TimmyBoston
11-02-2006, 23:49
Black Maple Hill 21, I decided on a whim to grab a bottle and it's delicious! I was suprised though with the seemingly high rye content as opposed to my bottles of 11 and 16. I believe this bottlling is brand new, could that be it?

bluesbassdad
11-03-2006, 10:59
I was thinking that this is the bourbon that Jeff waxed (ha!) rhapsodic about some time ago.

I was wrong; he wrote about the 16 year-old. You might find something of interest in that thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24567&highlight=black+maple+hill#post24567), just the same. I thought it included a run-down of the three different ages, but I don't see it at quick glance.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

jburlowski
11-03-2006, 14:07
Finishing off a bottle of last year's GTS so I can open one of this year's release for the Breeder's Cup tomorrow.

CrispyCritter
11-03-2006, 18:36
Sazerac Jr. now; there's one last pour in the bottle, which I'll save for tomorrow night.

After this pour, I'm going to do a head-to-head of two Domaine Le Basque Armagnacs; a 1982 vintage (bottled 2005), and a Hors d'Âge (= XO) bottled 2006.

smokinjoe
11-03-2006, 19:34
VOB 100 gave me a good 7 innings. Maker's held in the 8th. And my closer, Mr. G. T. Stagg, slammed the door in the 9th.

Ball game.

JOE

FlashPuppy
11-03-2006, 19:48
Finished off my bottle of RHF tonight. I think that I will go grab another bottle of this. This bottle has really grown on me.

Just desided to pour myself a glass of ETL, figure it's a Buffalo Trace night tonight.

CrispyCritter
11-03-2006, 20:29
After my Armagnac head-to-head (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=72995&postcount=5), I'm now sipping some Old Fitzgerald BIB for a nightcap.

Nebraska
11-03-2006, 21:09
Started off with a Handy...then Weller 12 (SW)...ended with OFBB 2006.

CrispyCritter
11-04-2006, 18:06
I emptied my Saz Jr. tonight. :yum: :cry:

Continuing on the empty bottle theme, I went with Scotch, and poured a double of Aberlour A'Bunadh Batch #7 (59.9% ABV). Even after all the time that bottle sat nearly empty, it's still stunningly good. From what I can tell, oxidation either had no effect, or was beneficial with this whisky. To reverse the "bourbon to show up Scotch drinkers" thread, A'Bunadh would be a good Scotch for a bourbon drinker, especially one accustomed to the likes of Stagg, Larue, and OGD 114.

I'm wondering if high ABV tends to stave off oxidation - my Fall '05 Stagg also stood up very well to being nearly empty for a long period.

Soon I'll have enough empties that I can start opening up some new premium bottles. :woohoo: My recently-purchased VWFRR is a prime candidate for corkenpoppen...

DrinkyBanjo
11-05-2006, 05:01
Last night was a 06 Handy and an 05 WLW. Both went down well and sent me to bed early as designed!

CrispyCritter
11-05-2006, 19:11
I went on an impromptu road trip today... and wound up in St. Louis. I took a walk over the Chain of Rocks Bridge (the old bridge that once carried Route 66 across the Mississippi River), and then decided to find a room for the night rather than go straight home. Needless to say, I decided to look for some bourbon to pour - and found WT Rare Breed (the WT-03RB version) for about $30 - less than what Binny's wants.

*snag*

Oh, my, this is a good pour! :yum:

FlashPuppy
11-05-2006, 20:35
Needless to say, I decided to look for some bourbon to pour - and found WT Rare Breed (the WT-03RB version) for about $30 - less than what Binny's wants.

The ONLY wtrb I have seen is the 03. Is the rest of the country short on this stuff?

CrispyCritter
11-05-2006, 20:45
I had some of the (IIRC) WT-01-99 version a while back - and that was a good pour, too...

smokinjoe
11-06-2006, 07:00
As it was a little chilly, had a humdinger of a fire going in the outdoor fireplace last night. Ponied up close with 2 of the finest Manhattans I have ever made. Rittenhouse 100 Noilly 3:1, double digit shakes on the Angistura bitters, and 3 cherries with a little juice. Outstanding if I do say so myself. :D Weller 12 neat to polish off the evening.

JOE

J.W.
11-06-2006, 08:59
W.L. Weller, Jim Beam Black, Wild turkey Rare Breed, & Bufalo Trace.
Santa Is going to bring me a Blantons and a Jeffersons Reserve if I can stay
good.

J.W.

SBOmarc
11-06-2006, 09:07
Was out to dinner and lo and behold the host had a Woodford Four Grain that was given to him by his son-in-law. I managed to hide my trepadations as he admited that he was no bourbon expert. Took advantage of the taste that he provided neat.

When I told him what the bottle was costing he chuckled and offered the rest to me to take home and I declined. Besides being way over priced it had nothing very special. The nose went dead, the flavor very hard to discern and a poor finish.

Jake_Parrott
11-06-2006, 10:19
Very Rare Old HH BIB 10yo. Rescued from KY by a friend on a recent trip. A whiskey that reminds you why you have to take a car when you go to KY--just to stock up on this and VOB BIB. Very, very nice, and at this sitting it seems easier-drinking and as intricate as its McKenna SB cousin. Of course the price doesn't suck either.

TNbourbon
11-06-2006, 13:42
...Woodford Four Grain...Besides being way over priced it had nothing very special. The nose went dead, the flavor very hard to discern and a poor finish.

And that's a generous viewpoint! I coaxed Joel (TNsquire) into tasting it last night -- suffice it to say, I STILL haven't found anyone yet who likes it.

brian12069
11-06-2006, 17:37
Right now....Corner Creek...not bad...

doubleblank
11-06-2006, 18:51
I've been drinking a lot of SW whiskey lately.....now I'm back to one of my favorites. SW bourbon distilled in March of '92......bottled as VWSR Lot B .......Van Blankle. What's not to like about it?

Randy

full_proof
11-06-2006, 20:31
Just finished my second neat dram of Bulleit...and wishing I would have read and learned from seasoned experts :bowdown: at SB.com, as they would have saved me from myself. :puke:But, alas, it may always be reserved for a mixer for non-so-great company and the inlaws. :slappin:

Nebraska
11-06-2006, 21:14
speak for yourself...Bulleit is ok (in my book at least).

Not a top shelf. But I wouldn't kick it out of my bourbon cabinet. It's a fun bottle, a little bit of a rugged pour, but never the less, a distinct one. I believe I cold pick it out in a tasting (say maybe in September).

TimmyBoston
11-07-2006, 00:49
I don't like Bulleit. I have a bottle that I can't wait to finish. It's not the worst out there by any means, but for nearly $30, I know I'll never buy it again.

But tonight, finished off a bottle of Glenlivet 12 (don't get excited it had 1/2 oz. in when I started :grin: ) Then I had a very small taste of Talisker 12, delcious.

Also, with dinner I had a 2004 Caymus Cab, it was glorious!

Jake_Parrott
11-07-2006, 04:33
I seem to recall Bulleit being a lot cheaper than $30 in Montgomery County, MD than anywhere else (BTW, this month, MonCo has Rare Breed for $23.99). I like Bulleitt as an archetype (or mixer for serious cocktails--that extra rye edge really helps) more than an everyday dram.

OscarV
11-07-2006, 14:16
Today I opened my Very Old Barton BIB 6 y.o.
I see why VOB is Kentucky's number one seller, good neat or on the rocks.

bigtoys
11-07-2006, 21:59
Just back from Morton's Steak House. Watched election returns while enjoying a WT Rare Breed and a Woodford Reserve along with a Punch cigar with a couple of friends. Had the mini cheeseburgers with purple onions--AWESOME. Also enjoyed the other scenery at the bar.

TimmyBoston
11-08-2006, 03:16
Van Winkle Lot B - Getting close to finishing the bottle. I'm going to have to join the support group soon! :grin:

A lot of people are still talking about Bulleit. I've said a lot of bad things about it this year, but I think a lot of my viewpoints are chalked up to it's high pricetag (at least in my area) it's nearly $30 and it's no where near a $30 whiskey IMO. But it's not as bad as I've claimed it over the months. If it were the price of Buf Trace ($16) It's possible I'd pick it up again, but not at the pricetag, especially since I prefer Buffalo Trace. It's not terrible, but IMO it's not good either. It could work as a mixer and I've been using it lately as a cooking whiskey where to it's credit it adds wonderful flavor to food.

dgonano
11-08-2006, 10:37
Just finished a bottle of Bulliet. I have always enjoyed the bourbon. It's been available in Maryland for 8 or 9 yrs and has always been priced under $15.

CrispyCritter
11-08-2006, 17:11
To celebrate the election outcome, I finally opened my Hirsch 16 gold wax.

:yum: :bowdown:

Wow! It was worth waiting for this! Soft, sweet, a pinch of cinnamon, and a long-lasting finish. It's kind of tough to open a bottle knowing that I'll probably never see another one, but oh my, it's a stellar pour. When I saw that gold wax top among a sea of gold foil, I knew which one to take. The gold foil version I had a while back was great - but this kicks it up a notch.

bluesbassdad
11-08-2006, 17:35
I will soon commemorate the outcome by opening a mini of Jim Beam white label (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=37552&highlight=beam+four#post37552). ;)

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

mred
11-08-2006, 17:38
finally able to drink OGD114 on the rocks.. im a newbie, ive always shot it or mixed bourbon..

BourbonJoe
11-08-2006, 17:43
[quote=bluesbassdad]I will soon commemorate the outcome by opening a mini of Jim Beam white label (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=37552&highlight=beam+four#post37552). ;)

I will soon commemorate the outcome by opening a half empty mini of Evan Williams I got at the General Nelson.
Joe :hot:

bluesbassdad
11-08-2006, 17:49
I'll trade ya! :grin:

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Nebraska
11-08-2006, 17:49
I had the bottom crack out of a bottle of Thomas Handy that had just been newly purchased and unopened...

The flag will be flying at half mast this evening.:cry:

CrispyCritter
11-08-2006, 17:55
Now on to an ORVW 10/107... maybe PVW 15 next.

BourbonJoe
11-08-2006, 18:03
I had the bottom crack out of a bottle of Thomas Handy that had just been newly purchased and unopened...

The flag will be flying at half mast this evening.:cry:

How horrible!!!! Did you lose it all Mark?

CrispyCritter
11-08-2006, 18:23
:bigeyes::bigeyes::cry:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa aaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAA!

Should I send a sympathy card?

Nebraska
11-08-2006, 18:26
I consoled myself with a pour of Evan Williams 12yo (thanks Ed) and actually ended up taking the bottle back. It was leaking pretty badly.

full_proof
11-08-2006, 18:51
Started with a neat old fashioned with Blanton's...great color, nose and lingering flavor. Finishing off an EC 12-YR-OLD, which is not bad at all. Looking forward to driving to the Gulf Coast this holiday weekend to pick up some Buffalo Trace and VW.

FlashPuppy
11-08-2006, 19:38
I consoled myself with a pour of Evan Williams 12yo (thanks Ed) and actually ended up taking the bottle back. It was leaking pretty badly.

GOOD GOD MAN!!!! Did they refund you or fix it up or somethin? My sympathies go out to you Mark.

As for me, I am enjoying a quite liberal pour of PVW 15. DEE-licious!!!:grin:

Nebraska
11-08-2006, 19:40
It was cheerfully exchanged for a 2006 stagg.

Virus_Of_Life
11-08-2006, 23:01
So after not replying to this for a while because, well, I was crash padding it until I found a "home" which I think I have now so I started moving in the family!

Tonite I had a taste of Rittenhouse BiB, then a little WLW from last year to refresh my memory and now some BMH 11 year. Next a little bit more of that Old Charter PR, thank you Lord it is good to be home. :grin:

TimmyBoston
11-09-2006, 01:24
Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 year I haven't had this one in a long time. It's nice to get reacquainted.

bluesbassdad
11-09-2006, 13:35
Just a tiny sip of Blanton's this afternoon. (Tonight is duplicate bridge night, so I have to stay sharp.)

Last night it was the BOTM, Jim Beam white label.

Taken together, those two define the top and bottom of my personal "I just don't get it" range.

I have to say that Blanton's has one of the most appealling noses I've encountered, if only because it's so subtle that it's hard to label. However, for me it's all downhill from there, with a mediocre pallet and a finish that is bitter and dry.

JBW is similar in that the banana oil nose isn't half bad (at a respectful distance from the rim of the glass), even if idiosyncratic for a bourbon, but the palate and finish don't fulfill the nose's meager promise.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Gillman
11-09-2006, 14:21
Yes but try them blended and the angels appear.

Gary

mred
11-09-2006, 19:44
ODG 114 again.. picking up PVW15 tomorrow...

cowdery
11-09-2006, 20:50
Had some of the Everett's Weller 12. I like this better with each pour.

Also had some of the WR Four Grain that I got when they unveiled it. What I have, I think, is not what eventually got into the bottles, but a slightly different mixture, and barrel proof, and you know what? It's not so bad. The copper penny thing is expressing itself more as spearmint. Actually pretty drinkable. I don't know what went wrong between there and the actual release.

TimmyBoston
11-10-2006, 03:05
I touch of OGD 14 with a barbeque dinner.

Later on, Laphroaig 15, I love this Scotch so much my heart hurts.

Ambernecter
11-10-2006, 12:03
A small Saz 18YO then a Booker's. The Saz really hit the spot for some reason...

wintersway
11-10-2006, 13:20
After another soul sucking week at work kicking back with some Weller Antique. Man, I love this stuff!

bigtoys
11-10-2006, 18:15
Pappy 15 immediately upon arriving home from a grueling day at work.
However, the night's not over. I may have talked a friend into coming over, which may mean cracking open somethig new.....

CrispyCritter
11-10-2006, 18:22
Great minds think alike - I have PVW 15 in my glass right now, too.

FlashPuppy
11-10-2006, 19:36
I decided tonight that I was going to revisit some of the not so high end drinks. It seems that I have been having an awful lot of premium pours lately, and decided it was time to get back to the basics.

My first pour was an Old Overholt Rye, followed by a quite nice OGD BIB. I am now on to an Old Forester 86 proof. This an older bottling, and I am planning on pouring a current release next and comparing. Depending on how I feel (or don't feel) I may have an Old Taylor BIB (71-79) as a night cap.

Life is good. Life is real good...

P.S. After reviewing the above post, it seems that I am also having an "Old" night. I might go and browse the cabinets to see what other "Old's" I can pull out.

CrispyCritter
11-10-2006, 20:16
I'm now having a pour of my dusty-bottle WT Rye green label.

bigtoys
11-10-2006, 21:07
Enjoying my nightcap: PVW FR 23 yr old--about an ounce with a few drops of spring water (single malt style to "open it up"). I also let it sit for a few minutes and it seems smoother than right out of the bottle.

Freezing night here in the Chicago burbs--I'm warmer already.

DrinkyBanjo
11-11-2006, 05:25
Last night was going to be wheater night with a lot of Van Winkles but instead I decided to polish off my open bottle PVW 15. A very nice night indeed.

jburlowski
11-11-2006, 11:50
Finishing up a bottle of Wathens, an '06 bottling. While by my memory not the equal of some of the earlier bottlings, it is still a mighty fine pour. Wonderful, rich toffee notes.

Nebraska
11-11-2006, 17:19
Finishing up a bottle of Wathens, an '06 bottling. While by my memory not the equal of some of the earlier bottlings, it is still a mighty fine pour. Wonderful, rich toffee notes.

A very reassuring testimonial...he's a pretty good guy in my book (Charlie Medley) that can pick out a pretty damn good barrel of bourbon.

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2006 is in my glass, I'm hooked on this stuff, for now at least.

ratcheer
11-11-2006, 17:22
Yesterday, my 8-year old son went fishing with his grandfather. They caught a fine mess of crappie. My son was very proud to have caught one fish, all by himself! He wanted me to cook them, tonight, and while I was entangled in the chores of frying fish, I had a wonderful pour of Wild Turkey Rare Breed on the rocks. It was delicious, as always. :cool:

Tim

straightwhiskeyruffneck
11-11-2006, 17:47
i got this bottle earlier today, and i had to open the damn thing! (it kept starring at me) its very rare old heaven hill 10 y/o BIB. having one right now, neat. i really, really like this one. probably better than OGD BIB!
good stuff

CrispyCritter
11-11-2006, 17:49
I began with a pour of Rittenhouse BIB, and I'm now sipping some Old Fitzgerald BIB.

doubleblank
11-11-2006, 20:20
Going "cheesy" tonight......but not the gold foil WT 12......I'm having a cheesy gold chain RHF from 1996. If you like the earthy side of BT's products, like standard BT, then you'll love this one. Its more complex than BT. I'm sure that's why it is in many people's top 5/10 lists.

Randy

bluesbassdad
11-11-2006, 20:27
Tim,

Congratulations to two fine fishermen!

I was always doing well to catch enough for a man-size sandwich, and I fished mainly in spring and early summer.

In my glass tonight is Wild Turkey 101, the one bottling that is always on my shelf.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

ratcheer
11-12-2006, 06:59
Dave, I am not a fisherman, but my inlaws border on being professional crappie fishers. Not really, but it is a real passion for them. They pretty much fish exclusively in late Fall and early Spring.

Tim

mrt
11-12-2006, 11:43
Bulleit, as "whiskey sour". Sometimes I really enjoy mixing bourbon with lemon juice...on the rocks.

brian12069
11-12-2006, 16:33
Right now I am having a nice pour of Elmer T Lee 107, hadn't had this one in a while, nice.

JDutton
11-12-2006, 17:55
I'm in the middle of my very first pour of Pappy Van Winkel's Family Reserve, 15 years old. I'm starting to get a pretty good idea of why everyone raves about it. To tell the truth, I had gotten myself so fired up about getting it that I was almost afraid to taste it. No worries!

It's going to be hard to keep this for special occasions.

I'm still a novice bourbon drinker, but I'm having fun!

Jeff

TimmyBoston
11-13-2006, 02:55
I'm in the middle of my very first pour of Pappy Van Winkel's Family Reserve, 15 years old. I'm starting to get a pretty good idea of why everyone raves about it. To tell the truth, I had gotten myself so fired up about getting it that I was almost afraid to taste it. No worries!

It's going to be hard to keep this for special occasions.

I'm still a novice bourbon drinker, but I'm having fun!

Jeff

Pair it up with a nice cigar or a pipe and it gets even better :cool:

TimmyBoston
11-13-2006, 02:56
Laphroaig 15 followed up by Talisker 18. Laphroaig wins.

bluesbassdad
11-13-2006, 13:18
I happened to revisit that one last night. To my surprise I found it to be overwhelming. I don't recall ever adding water to a Van Winkle product before, but last night it was called for.

I made no attempt to measure the amount of Arizona well water I added, but I'm guessing I reduced the proof by 10-15 points. It still tasted marvelous but without the shock effect.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

OscarV
11-13-2006, 14:23
Could not post this the exact day I was drinking it.
Saturday was my wife's 50th birthday, we had friends over and I opened a few I have been saving for a special occasion.

George T Stagg, 2004 release, 129 proof
Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, bottled Sept 3, 2004
Very Special Old Fitzgerald, 12 year old

I made a few new converts to bourbon, the Ladies liked the Old Fitz the best, the Gentlemen liked the the KY Spirit the best.
I had the grill going with chicken, and dishes and other beverages were brought in. Sunday morning I checked the recycle bin and found,...
2 bottles of Coppola Pinot Grigio
2 bottles of L. Mawby Blanc de Blanc
2 bottles of Mont-Perat Bordeaux, 2000
1 bottle of Chateau Peyre-Lebade Haut-Medoc, 2002
1 bottle of Sanford Pinot Noir, 2002
And this one bottle, all the way from Australia, a Muscat by R.L.Buller& Son, I did have some of this and I must say I was impressed. I do not like sweet wines, but this was very nice, it had a rich deapness that I have never known before.
But one was enough, I went back to the Stagg.
Several people needed water with the Stagg and the KY Spirit, I drank it neat, and I think I will have to give the nod to the KY Spirit.

brian12069
11-13-2006, 18:27
Right now, a little Heaven Hill 10yr 86 proof for a little nightcap...

T47
11-13-2006, 19:30
I uncorked the Rock Hill Farms I picked up today.
Bottle: Pretentious short and square, reminds me of my Dads crystal decanters when I was a kid. (That's not as negative as it sounds, just how it hits me, and I like to pay attention to the package)
Color: Medium Amber
Nose: Leather, a little oak, fruity.
Taste: Smooth, a little spice, orange peel, and I know its not on the list but it hits me as almost "carbonated"? That burn you get from a soda, but it does not get too hot.
Finish: This really hangs on in a good way. A little smoky, burnt sugar.

I was happy with this bottle. I am kind of neutral on Blantons, just did not find enough flavors or uniqueness to be worth the $$. This one on the other hand is a keeper.

CrispyCritter
11-13-2006, 20:20
My only glass tonight is Rare Breed.

bigtoys
11-13-2006, 20:39
Rowan's Creek, cuz it's here in my office. Hints of lemon and pear. A little spicy.

bluesbassdad
11-13-2006, 22:47
I find it reassuring that I am not alone in my perception of the relative merits of Rock Hill Farms and Blanton's. To me your characterization of Blanton's is right on.

In somewhat the same vein I've noted a flavor that seems like hot Seven-Up in more than one bourbon. I don't think I've ever had the nerve to mention it.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

bluesbassdad
11-13-2006, 22:56
I bought this bottle just as the bottling was about to disappear from the Van Winkle line-up. By the time I realized how good it is, I couldn't get any more.

I've never compared it head-to-head with VWFRR 13 y/o. Going by memory it seems less zesty and more oaky -- not what I'd expect, given their relative ages. It reminds me of molasses.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Ubertaster
11-14-2006, 06:21
Last night I had a couple pours of 2005 Birthday Bourbon. I can't wait to try the 2006.

bj

T47
11-14-2006, 06:48
In somewhat the same vein I've noted a flavor that seems like hot Seven-Up in more than one bourbon. I don't think I've ever had the nerve to mention it.

Blantons was the first bottle that gave me that sensation, then RHF. I kind of browse at the list of terms prior to opening a bottle. I really try and pick up flavors and smells to match the list? Kind of cheating maybe? There are a few flavors and sensations I can pick up on my own, but others I have trouble describing. The soda thing just wouldn't get out of my head...and I tried...but hey all our tastes are so different I just went with it. Glad I am not alone!

BourbonJoe
11-14-2006, 08:24
Last night I had a couple pours of 2005 Birthday Bourbon. I can't wait to try the 2006.

bj

It's better than the 2005 IMO.

RedVette
11-14-2006, 16:54
EWSB 91. I finally cracked open this one on Sunday. It is almost gone. Wow, this is by far the best of the bunch and I have tried them all (from 90 to 96). Never thought there was a Heaven Hill product with a strong caramel signature. Found one.

CrispyCritter
11-14-2006, 19:08
It's been a rye night for me... a Rittenhouse BIB-based Red Hook and a pour of WT Rye accompanied a rousing good game of Scorched 3D (http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/), and now I'm sipping some of my Hirsch 8yo Canadian Rye. Hopefully, I'll soon clear enough bottles than I can start in on my BTAC stash...

smokinjoe
11-14-2006, 19:11
First it was Buffalo Trace. Finishing off with a spectacular Ezra B 15 yr. :)

JOE

OscarV
11-15-2006, 13:01
Back to my Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, bottled Sept. 3, 2004.
I could get used this. It is everything that I have heard it to be, carmel, fruit, and pepper spice.
I have another bottle of it that I have not opened, it was bottled on Aug. 22, 2003 and it is a lot darker than the '04.

cowdery
11-15-2006, 14:46
Rittenhouse 21. On at least this occasion, I might argue that they waited too long to bottle this. Last night, at least, it seemed too smoky to me.

CrispyCritter
11-15-2006, 16:39
Pappy 15. Great as usual...

ThomasH
11-15-2006, 17:29
Tonight I am celebrating number 41 with a drink of I.W.Harper 15, the bourbon witth my name in it. It isn't everyday that I bring this bottle out!

Thomas

brian12069
11-15-2006, 17:41
Rittenhouse 21. On at least this occasion, I might argue that they waited too long to bottle this. Last night, at least, it seemed too smoky to me.
oh, I would like to try that.

SBOmarc
11-15-2006, 20:03
Elmer T Lee Gold Wax,

I am a huge Blanton's fan. Love that Pour. But...

Every time I drink this I wonder why I pay the premium price.

T47
11-15-2006, 20:28
Some Weller 12 while helping sonny boy with his home work...now a nice pour of WT 101 while I sit down to game a little on the computer...nice lazy night.

gothbat
11-15-2006, 21:16
Some WT101 while I watch some Nip/Tuck. Watching movies and my favorite shows has always been my favorite thing to do while enjoying some good bourbon.

cowdery
11-15-2006, 21:55
Tonight I am celebrating number 41 with a drink of I.W.Harper 15, the bourbon witth my name in it. It isn't everyday that I bring this bottle out!

Thomas

You're celebrating George H. W. Bush, the 41st president? :) ;)

ThomasH
11-16-2006, 03:50
Actually I was celebrating my 41st birthday. I didn't even consider the fact that H.W. was the 41st presodent!

Thomas

TimmyBoston
11-16-2006, 04:55
Bulleit neat, actually not too bad tonight, kinda hit the spot.

Whiskey Willie
11-16-2006, 05:09
Sampling some EC12 for the first time...not impressed.

ThomasH
11-16-2006, 18:46
Tonight I am drinking some BIB brands. First it was JTS Brown and then Evan Williams white. Neither is the best I have ever had but both make an enjoyable mixed drink!

Thomas

Big Chipper
11-16-2006, 19:38
I'm sipping on some 2006 William Larue Weller neat. This stuff continues to impress...caramel sweetness and a nutty undertone...enough alchohol to singe your chest hairs. I love it!

CrispyCritter
11-16-2006, 21:03
I'm having a nightcap of WTRB, after polishing off the last of my Laphroaig CS.

SBOmarc
11-16-2006, 21:39
Finishing the last of EWSB 1996. Not sure that this is as good as the other years I have had. Not too good on the finish.

Hillbilly
11-17-2006, 09:33
Enjoyed a nice pour of Eagle Rare 10 yr SB last night. Simply a delicious bourbon that has found a permanent home in my rotation.

Frodo
11-17-2006, 10:16
Elmer T Lee Gold Wax,

My thoughts exactly (to the letter)!!!

Frodo
11-17-2006, 10:16
Elmer T Lee Gold Wax,

My thoughts exactly (to the letter)! Can't justify the price for Blanton's when ETL is priced as it is...

mrt
11-17-2006, 12:22
JD and cola poured over ice cubes :drink:

jburlowski
11-17-2006, 14:27
Starting the weekend with some Johnny Drum 15 yo.

Interesting notes of sorghum and allspice but a tad too oaky in the finish for my tastes...

smokinjoe
11-17-2006, 14:40
The weather is cold to start this weekend, so I'm going to raise the temp with the Willett Family Estate Rye. So far in my tastings, this one trumps the Handy IMO. Just more overall varoomph in the Willett. Bigger, bolder taste, while not being overly hot. But, both are very, very good. Can't go wrong with either one.
JOE

FlashPuppy
11-17-2006, 21:26
Had a bit'o'samplin tonight.

OGD 114
OGD BIB
WT12
Old Fitz BIB
Old Fitz prime
and to round out the night just a dribble of EWSB '94

Edit: on second thought, I am going to have just a little of one-of-those-bottles-turned-backward-so-that-no-one-can-tell-what-it-really-is. I will tell you this about it, it's clear.

CrispyCritter
11-17-2006, 22:19
I'm finished for the night, but I began with a Rittenhouse BIB Red Hook, then a pour of Rittenhouse BIB neat, then WT Rye neat for a nightcap.

Virus_Of_Life
11-18-2006, 00:28
Thomas H Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey arrived today and there was no way I could go without opening one of these tonight. And I am so glad I opened it! I love this stuff!

Not much for tasting notes, but this stuff shines above and beyond the regular Saz Jr. It actually has a similar touch of sweetness and fruit up front that I find in VWFRR "F" bottling, then follows up with some peppery spice and finishes with the immature herby spice that Saz Jr has. Bottom line, this is fantastic whiskey that is without a doubt one of my favorites already...

Thank you Buffalo Trace, again.

DrinkyBanjo
11-18-2006, 05:40
Last night was barrel proof night. First was WLW from 05, seems the last bit left in the bottle was better than I remember the rest, strange. Next was Handy 06, loved it! I gave it to my wife to 'sniff' and instead she thought she was smart and had a sip! Reaction was great "I've never tasted worse diesel than that!" (she's Irish). Luckily I continued on and enjoyed the rest immensely!!!

Last was GTS 06. I don't know but I didn't like this as much as previous years, it doesn't seem to have the nose that the others have. I will try this again soon as my taste buds and nose could have been overwhelmed at the time from the other two.

jburlowski
11-18-2006, 11:30
VSOF, while watching the Ohio Sate - Michigan game.

SBOmarc
11-18-2006, 13:06
Same Game, Different pour

Makers.

CrispyCritter
11-18-2006, 17:24
I'm on my first pour of a flight of Staggs. I finally cleared enough bottles that I could start opening more. :woohoo:First to get opened: '06 Stagg, aka Hazmat III.

WOW!

This is just gobsmacking good. It seems gentler than my memories of the Fall '05 - but I'm about to pop the top off a Fall '05 bottle for a head-to-head comparison, once I finish this pour. A Spring '05 pour (bottle already open) will follow.

I'm catching intense vanilla and chocolate from this, and it has surprisingly little burn - it's hard to believe it's in the beyond-70%-ABV category. The finish is long and warm, cinnamon with a bit of oak, slowly fading.

photogjunkie
11-18-2006, 19:39
Tonight, so far, it has been a couple pours of my newly aquired Old Commonwealth 107 10yo. I'll finish the evening with some Old Fitzgerald BIB...SW version.

whitepine
11-18-2006, 23:42
Tried some 1783 evan williams tonight since I`m a huge fan of the regular black label kind. I didn`t like it near as much. Also drinking some makers
and knob creek.

TimmyBoston
11-19-2006, 00:48
Belgian Ale followed up by Rare Breed.

wadewood
11-19-2006, 08:12
Heading to Vegas this morning, started with some mimosas made with fresh squeezed OJ with Korbel La Premier Champagne.

Packed a bottle of PVW 15 for the 5 day trip.

jburlowski
11-19-2006, 16:58
Heading to Vegas this morning, started with some mimosas made with fresh squeezed OJ with Korbel La Premier Champagne.

Packed a bottle of PVW 15 for the 5 day trip.

Hope you enjoy some of the great bourbons available there (Hirsch blue wax, PVW 20, etc)... and have good luck!

CrispyCritter
11-19-2006, 16:59
More BTAC tonight; first, a pour of Handy.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

This is rye turned up to 11. :woohoo: Even at its lower proof, it's a lot spicier than the Stagg flight that I had last night. The Buffalo Trace folks keep knocking 'em out of the park, and this is no exception.

Now, the '06 Larue. More vanilla and less chocolate than the Stagg - a bit sweeter. Another beyond-category bottle... just magnficent.

Well, that makes 3-for-3, or 5-for-5 if I count the Fall and Spring '05 Staggs I had last night.

CrispyCritter
11-19-2006, 18:20
Now I'm having a pour of '06 ER17. Where the barrel-proof BTAC bottles are intense, elemental whiskeys, the ER17 is a subtle, contemplative pour. There's a caramel sweetness to it, and a subtle fruitiness; the wood and a hint of spiciness come out in the finish.

I'd say it's every bit as worthy as the Stagg/Larue/Handy trio, and it would be a bit more newbie-friendly as well. I'm glad I went ahead and got it - I skipped last year's ER17.

FlashPuppy
11-19-2006, 18:37
I am revisiting ETL tonight. I know that this is a good bourbon, but I keep forgetting how good. Everytime that I pour myself some of this, I am amazed of it, and what a bargain!!

darkluna
11-19-2006, 20:08
Tonight was a Sazerac cocktail night. A fickle drink to be sure, but sublime if you happen to hit it right. Tonights versions were powered by Wild Turkey Rye. I know of no quicker way to kill a bottle of Rye than to use it to make Sazeracs.

CrispyCritter
11-19-2006, 21:01
I rounded out my BTAC '06 exploration with Saz 18. Oh, my, this is sublime. I guess the syllogisms would go thus:

ER17::Stagg
Saz 18::Handy

As much as I hate to use such a nebulous term, Saz 18 has quite a depth to it. It doesn't have the intensity of Handy, but there's a brown sugar taste to it, with a very subtle touch of cinnamon hovering in the background. Not only that, but each sip seems to be just a bit different from the last.

BTAC '06? Yes. Every single one of them is worthwhile. I'm glad I bought spares!

gothbat
11-19-2006, 21:37
A bit of WT101 before the weekend is over... :( ...it was a good one though. :)

Pappy's Friend
11-20-2006, 19:19
Last night, it was Vintage 21. Tonight, it is a pour of Black Maple Hill 14.

smokinjoe
11-20-2006, 20:22
Was going to meet Troyce at the Sweetwater Brewery here in Atlanta for one of their tours/tastings. Unfortunately, we learned at the last minute that they don't do them any longer on Mondays, so we had to improvise. ATLANTA BOURBON SOCIETY TASTING #24!! :woohoo: Went through Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare 101 10Yr, Thomas Handy, and Old Fitz BIB. Along with a couple Sierra Nevada Porters. Came away really impressed with all, but the Old Fitz was quite a surprise. A lot of bourbon to that one. Tons of flavor for something we thought might be quite weak. It really held up well to the others. This is the first bottle we've tried, and we were very impressed. Really, all were very good though. Had a rip roarin' fire going in the outdoor fireplace, Mama Smokinjoe made beef and Kluski noodles, and a Padron 4000 and Fonseca later...and the night was salvaged. I'll finish it off with a Weller 12.
Cheers!

JOE

ILLfarmboy
11-20-2006, 20:37
Just finished my first pour of Handy. Ya..buddy, that's the stuff!!

I was worried the noze might be a bit to sharp and biting (being such a high proof). My worries were unfounded. The noze is alluring and inviting. The palate is big and spicy, zesty even.

CrispyCritter
11-21-2006, 20:02
I was rummaging through already-opened bottles, and found my long-forgotten Weller Antique. Forgotten no more - it'll be in my daily rotation until it's empty. :drink:

Now, to continue the 107-proof theme, a pour of ORVW 10/107. Funny thing is, it seems like an amped-up version of the Weller.

The nightcap will be good ol' PVW 15... Life is good.

Ambernecter
11-22-2006, 10:26
A Saz 18 followed by a PWV 20 YO. The Saz was really very good indeed.

The Pappy is so good it makes me almost want to weep! A welcome contrast to the spicey Rye from before...

My buddy used to get me all my WT 12 YO when on his travels. I'm gonna get him a bottle of PWV 20, as a thankyou for Xmas. Don't tell him though - it's a secret!

brian12069
11-22-2006, 16:48
Right now I am having some I.W. Harper 15 yr old Gold Medal, from the Bourbon Heritage Collection. It's not bad, but the first thing I thought when I tried it was.....why isn't this higher proof? It's only 80 proof and I just think a quality 15 yr old Bourbon should be 90 to maybe 101 or 107 proof. Would have been much better then...

TNbourbon
11-22-2006, 20:19
...I.W. Harper 15 yr old Gold Medal, from the Bourbon Heritage Collection. It's not bad, but the first thing I thought when I tried it was.....why isn't this higher proof? It's only 80 proof ...

My best guess would be that there was a limited supply of 15yo I.W. Harper available when the BHC was issued, and the only way to supply enough bottles to make it worthwhile was to lower the proof to 80 (as in, add water). That would also explain why -- unlike the Weller Centennial, Old Fitz Very Special 12yo, and Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve -- it's never been reissued.
Input, Mike V.?

wku88
11-22-2006, 21:37
OF 100...a.k.a. Signature.
OK for a everyday pour, and not a bad value, but in this price point, and even higher, I keep finding it hard to beat Very Old HH 10.

Pappy's Friend
11-23-2006, 01:09
Tonight, it was a pour of Weller 12 year, followed by a Black Maple Hill 14 year. Both were quite nice!

TimmyBoston
11-23-2006, 02:30
Mitchner's American Whiskey. A unique product and quite tasty.

Jake_Parrott
11-23-2006, 12:07
For some reason, I think Michter's American tastes like Eggo waffles.

VOB 86 proof. Just a touch before heading to the in-laws. They barely drink, so the wine won't be flowing particularly freely.

brian12069
11-23-2006, 15:12

Thats funny. I find it to be incredibly sweet. An odd sweet, unlike any whiskey I ever had.

TimmyBoston
11-23-2006, 20:48

I think it tastes like syrup. :cool:

TimmyBoston
11-23-2006, 23:47
I'm sorry, but I am definately the person who doesn't like Thanksgiving. My least favorite day of the year. Not that I'm ungrateful, just lots of bad memories.

Tonight 1/2 bottle of Old Forester 100

Ambernecter
11-24-2006, 08:41
I'm sorry, but I am definately the person who doesn't like Thanksgiving. My least favorite day of the year. Not that I'm ungrateful, just lots of bad memories.

Tonight 1/2 bottle of Old Forester 100
Leave those memories where they belong Tim - in the past! Hope things pick up for you buddy...

TimmyBoston
11-24-2006, 11:31
Leave those memories where they belong Tim - in the past! Hope things pick up for you buddy...

Today is a brand new day. Thank you, sir. :cool:

Ambernecter
11-24-2006, 11:42
Tough times don't last but tough guys do Tim!

Cliche saying it may be but I reakon it's a good one... have a pour of something really good and smile. I have seen waaayyy too much death and destruction (e.g. friend of mine dead in Iraq yesterday) over the years but nuttin gets me down!

Oops! I'm gonna be moved to "off topic" soon!

I am enjoying a JB black after 2 beers this afternoon.

mrt
11-25-2006, 08:50
I took 2 oz. Jack Daniels tonight...Neat.

bluesbassdad
11-25-2006, 21:40
While watching the USC/Notre Dame game on TV I started with Kentucky Spirit, switched to WT 12 y/o and finished with Thomas Handy rye.

The KS seemed shellac-like tonight; I didn't finish it. The WT 12 y/o was tasty, but not as good as I remember. The TH rye was interesting -- it reminded me of freshly brewed red ale -- but not the treat I had been expecting. It needed quite a bit of water to keep it from assaulting my palate.

Could it be that I'm just in a crappy mood? I hope so. Otherwise, the recreational value of my liquor collection has just dropped significantly.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

SBOmarc
11-26-2006, 13:11
Watching Notre Dame lose is always cause for a top pour, so my brother in law and I toasted with RHF. I had not had this in some time and it was just as good as I remember.

melting
11-27-2006, 15:40
The KS seemed shellac-like tonight; I didn't finish it. The WT 12 y/o was tasty, but not as good as I remember. The TH rye was interesting -- it reminded me of freshly brewed red ale -- but not the treat I had been expecting. It needed quite a bit of water to keep it from assaulting my palate.

Could it be that I'm just in a crappy mood? I hope so. Otherwise, the recreational value of my liquor collection has just dropped significantly.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield
That could be a major cause of extreme panic. That's the sort of thing that could drive a man (or woman) to drink.

Chris

smokinjoe
11-27-2006, 17:59
An absolutely outstanding pour of EWSB 94. I've been going slow on this open bottle, in that I only have a few more left. It may well be my favorite. It certainly is living up to my expectations tonight.
JOE

mred
11-28-2006, 20:16
well after a couple JB black shots... now im sippin bookers... just another one of those nights my brothers...

ThomasH
11-28-2006, 21:46
I am having a drink of Wild Turkey KS. Had some RR101 and WTRB last night. I have to say I love them all!

Thomas