PDA

View Full Version : What to buy?

Longtrain
10-15-2006, 19:11
I am no stranger to bourbon, enjoy it in many ways. PVW, Woodford, Jefferson are some of my favorites.

But last week, here in NY, my local store had a bevy of new bourbon's, many offshoots from standard brands, some I've never heard of before.

So, the question here is, if you could recommend some of the new single barrels that are out there, what would your pick that is smooth, round, flavorful, but not too sharp or overwelming? Something that can be enjoyed neat or with a bit of water.

Big question, I know, but maybe it will help me narrow the field.

Thanks,

Tony
Longtrain

Nebraska
10-15-2006, 19:25
Hey Tony welcome,

Single barrels are becoming more and more common, which is a pretty cool thing. Stores are buying their own barrels and having it bottled. If you can find one of these, it would be a good place to start and unique to a certain extent. You asked a very good question that is asked by most people when they start out here. Read as many threads as you can, especially about tastings.

I'm gonna have to laugh because I'm thinking that 6 months down the road we are going to see this pile of "What should I buy next/What should I start with/What is this bottle worth?" posts. Which would make it very handy for anybody to find that's asking those questions all sitting there in the NEW-TO section. :shocked:

cowdery
10-16-2006, 13:03
Hey, Tony.

We probably can give you better, more specific information if you identify for us some of the new arrivals.

TimmyBoston
10-17-2006, 05:51
Welcome to SB, Tony

What are your options?

Edward_call_me_Ed
10-17-2006, 07:13
7what would your pick that is smooth, round, flavorful, but not too sharp or overwelming? Something that can be enjoyed neat or with a bit of water.

Hi Tony,

Welcome.

That sounds like Elmer T Lee to me. Good price point for a Single Barrel, too.

Ed

ProofPositive
10-17-2006, 23:55
Hi Tony,

Welcome.

That sounds like Elmer T Lee to me. Good price point for a Single Barrel, too.

Ed

I'll second that one....excellent choice in my opinion. Another one in the $20-30 range is Eagle Rare 10yo SB. Raising the dollar amount a bit higher, my advice would be Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit and Blanton's.....like ETL, another offering from Buffalo Trace.

Longtrain
10-21-2006, 06:35
All:

I'll be stopping by today and get a list of what's on the shelf...

Ok, made a stop, any of these worthy? (Bought a bottle of Elmer T. Lee)

Bakers
Basil Hayden
Bookers
Jack Daniels Single Barrel
Russel's Reserve
Wild Turkey Rare Bred
Elijah Craig 12 YO

They also had PVW 20 YO, $75. Blanton's, Woodford and Jefferson ,which I have had. I enjoy the PWV 15 YO with water, any of these in that class or better???

Thanks for helping and the guidance.

Tony

shaggy
10-21-2006, 17:31
I met Elmer T. Lee a few months ago at a Buffalo Trace tasting. We sampled BT, Eagle Rare 17 YO, Pappy 20 YO, Weller 12 YO, Elmer T Lee Single Barrel and a few others. Mr. Lee is a lively old man. I think he said he was 86 YO. He said he still tastes for BT and picks the barrels for his own single barrel bottlings. His said his wife has as good of a nose for bourbon as him if not better. His next favorite in line was Eagle Rare 17 YO. So if you pick up one of those or just about anything from BT it is hard to go wrong. Good luck and cheers!

ratcheer
10-21-2006, 21:01
All:

I'll be stopping by today and get a list of what's on the shelf...

Ok, made a stop, any of these worthy? (Bought a bottle of Elmer T. Lee)

Bakers
Basil Hayden
Bookers
Jack Daniels Single Barrel
Russel's Reserve
Wild Turkey Rare Bred
Elijah Craig 12 YO

Of those, I personally would most like the Booker's, Rare Breed, and Elijah Craig 12-yr. The Russell's Reserve is probably a good bet, too.

Tim

TNbourbon
10-21-2006, 22:23
...He said he still tastes for BT and picks the barrels for his own single barrel bottlings...

Elmer selects the barrels for OUR single-barrel bottlings, too!:grin:

3266 3267 3268 3269

...He(e) said his wife has as good of a nose for bourbon as him if not better...

Sadly, Mrs. Lee passed away in April. Elmer told me last month they'd been married 56 years, and he was quite lonesome without her.

Longtrain
10-22-2006, 06:11
Ed and PP:

ETL is perfect, really enjoyed it last night. Now, are any of the others more perfect????

Thanks,

Tony

ratcheer
10-22-2006, 16:47
Ed and PP:

ETL is perfect, really enjoyed it last night. Now, are any of the others more perfect????

Thanks,

Tony

I don't think so, not without spending a lot more money.

Tim

BourbonJoe
10-23-2006, 09:15
That's a nice shot of you and Elmer, Tim. I never got to meet him.
Joe :usflag:

Longtrain
10-27-2006, 18:33
A good buddy and fellow bourbon drinker is making a trip through bourbon Country, what should I have him bring back for me? I'm thinking of BT, since we can't get it here in NY. Any other secrets out there that would be a welcome surprise?

BTW, enjoying some ETL in front of the fireplace, may get a foot of snow tonight, hope I have enough ETL to last...:drink:

Thanks,

Tony

Nebraska
10-27-2006, 19:01
VROHH BIB 10 yo, AAA 10 yo, VOB 100 proof, 4 roses...this list could go on for a great while