PDA

View Full Version : Empty Bottles Support Group

Pages : [1] 2

cowdery
10-19-2006, 23:58
We all know how hard it is to finish a bottle of whiskey, especially one that cannot be easily replaced. It's hard, but it's part of life.

We're here for you. We feel your pain. Welcome to the Empty Bottles Support Group.

This thread is for saying goodbye to special friends as they become empty vessels, a fate that awaits us all.

cowdery
10-20-2006, 00:00
For me tonight, Bernheim Original Straight Wheat Whiskey.

I liked it, didn't love it, but it's hard to say goodbye because I don't know when I'll see another bottle. Has anyone bought this more than once?

nor02lei
10-20-2006, 00:20
We all know how hard it is to finish a bottle of whiskey, especially one that cannot be easily replaced. It's hard, but it's part of life.

We're here for you. We feel your pain. Welcome to the Empty Bottles Support Group.

This thread is for saying goodbye to special friends as they become empty vessels, a fate that awaits us all.

Chuck,

It’s hard to finish a bottle that can’t be replaced. However I try to save old bottles and when I lock at the empty bottle I do remember the taste and that is actually some kind of a relief to me.

Leif

darkluna
10-20-2006, 11:39
Did you like the Berhneim good enough to buy another bottle if you see it? It's around a $50 bottle isn't it? Hard for me to buy more than one at that price, if I only "like it, not love it".

barturtle
10-20-2006, 12:14
I do hang on to the occasional empty (WT12, for example).

I am getting quite low on Bernhiem. I will likely replace it, but maybe not soon.

Nebraska
10-20-2006, 12:47
I have a few, but the most ridiculous one is a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye BIB DSP 31 with enough in it for about 2 good pours. I keep opening up the new DSP's and setting this one behind them.:rolleyes: It's really stupid because I like the new DSP just as much as the DSP 31.

I'm gonna try to bite the bullet this weekend and kill it off. What's really pitiful is that I have a back up DSP 31 that I haven't opened.

shaggy
10-20-2006, 12:49
Bernheim is all over the place here in KY for under $40. I just picked up a bottle a few days ago since it is one of my wife's favorites. I just said goodbye to a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB that I paid $15 for. I can't find anymore around here. If I could I'd buy several bottles.

Nebraska
10-20-2006, 12:53
I thought I remembered the Liquor Barn in louisville (by the airport) having it.

Nebraska
10-20-2006, 12:54
I thought I remembered the Liquor Barn in louisville (by the airport) having it

Rittenhouse BIB that is.

smokinjoe
10-20-2006, 13:36
I will probably have a sniffle or two later this evening as I polish off a bottle of 2004 Stagg. :(This will be the 4th, and each one is hard to do. The primary reason is that it was the Holy Grail for me early in my Bourbon exploring world, and I had gotten to the point that I thought I may never, ever see one. Well, good ol' Cliff changed that by hooking me up with a couple of bottles at the 04 KBF, and I was off to the races. :thankyousign: Now, I've accumulated a pretty good stash of Staggs, but throwing out a dead soldier of this beautiful bottle is hard to do.

JOE

TNbourbon
10-20-2006, 14:57
...Bernheim Original Straight Wheat Whiskey...Has anyone bought this more than once?

Yes, though I've only opened one. Several others have been trades or pick-ups for others, and I have a bottle in reserve (and six more on the store shelf where I work) -- so I WILL open another one eventually.

cowdery
10-20-2006, 20:10
Yes, I probably will buy it again, although the price is at the high end of my comfort zone. I enjoyed that last pour of it last night, but that might be part of the empty bottle phenomenon. The note I made in drinking it last night is that something seems to be missing.

CrispyCritter
10-21-2006, 00:46
My upcoming member of the Empty Bottle Club will be a Fall '05 Stagg, which still has one last generous pour left in it. I think I ought to get another one, while it's still available... but then again, the '06 Antique Collection will be coming out soon. My poor wallet! ;)

HighTower
10-21-2006, 01:32
I have a fair few "fallen soldiers" sitting around that I seem to horde. Mainly 86 proof JD bottles, which just make me angry when I look at the 80 proof, but there's also a small army of empty Lincoln Henderson WR bottles. I've just been asked to transfer with work, and I have said yes, so it may be time to farewell these "old friends". I got to know them quite well!
With the move it also may be time to look at those bottles that have 1-2 pours left in them and maybe make my own vatting. It would include the likes of Booker's, WT 8yo 101 , Bonded Beam, Maker's Mark & 1992 EWSB:grin: Could be something interesting to drink at the house warming party!!

Scott

Hedmans Brorsa
10-21-2006, 04:24
We're here for you. We feel your pain. Welcome to the Empty Bottles Support Group

Thank you , Sir! I´m truly touched by your concern. :grin:

At the moment I have no emergency cases, as such. Recently, though, I have been eyeing my half-full bottle of Proprietor´s reserve, Louisville variety, with a bit of concern.

I had severe problems hunting down my current bottle and these difficulties are likely to increase the next time I go hunting.

I have no doubts about the quality of the Frankfort bottling but will it be able to reproduce the unique character of the Louisville one? According to tasting notes the answer seems to be no, I´m afraid.

Checking Mr. Murray´s bible, I notice, that he describes the current finish with "gentle vanillas" which is nothing like what I have experienced with my three Lousville bottles. Heavy salted liquorice is what I get, probably pinpointing the radical differences between the two bottlings.

Of my empty bottles, the WT Kentucky Legend, probably is the one that hurts most. Impossible to find now and easily the best WT I´ve had.

cowdery
10-21-2006, 05:54
I'm on a tear. Say goodbye to a Rittenhouse Rye BIB. Drunk with Canada Dry Ginger Ale (not bad).

jburlowski
10-21-2006, 13:22
For me tonight, Bernheim Original Straight Wheat Whiskey.

I liked it, didn't love it, but it's hard to say goodbye because I don't know when I'll see another bottle. Has anyone bought this more than once?

I've bought several. It's become almost a regular pour. I like it, for reasons that I can't really pinpoint. I find I often go to it when I can't (for whatever reasons) decide what bourbon I want on a particular night.

Maybe that it is simply different along with its inate drinkability. It seems to be readily available in these parts.

Does anyone know if there will be future releases? I'd love to taste it with a few more years of aging.

cowdery
10-21-2006, 17:58
It is supposed to be continuously available and they did set some aside to age out, but if that's released it probably will be as a special, age-stated edition. The "regular" Bernheim will continue to be approximately 5 years old. "Annual release" seems only to be an issue if the product sells out before the next batch gets into the pipeline and I haven't heard anything to that effect with Bernheim but, yes, it's supposed to be an on-going product.

HighTower
10-22-2006, 04:24
Ok, so today I was made to pack up my bourbons for the move. Which meant I had to get rid of the emptys to start (I dont know why I hang on to those fellas anyway). So now the recycling bin contains 6 empty EC12s, 3 Woodford Reserves, 3 Maker's Marks, 4 86 proof jacks, 2 gentleman jacks, 2 canadian club classics and a couple of Bulleits. It looks like we had some great party last night!

So my wife also put the foot down with what bottles are allowed to make the journey, as far as fill lines are concerned. If there's under 3 pours, they have got to go. So here's the list:
WT 8yo 101
Basil Haydens
EWSB 1990 & 1992
Jim Beam Bonded
Knob Creek
Maker's Mark
EC12
Booker's
Beam's Choice
-& a couple of Tennessee numbers
Gentleman Jack
George Dickel 10yo 1987

So the question is......should I make a nice vatting and save it for a rainy day, or have a really good afternoon one day soon and drink them??:grin:

Scott

barturtle
10-22-2006, 08:48
So the question is......should I make a nice vatting and save it for a rainy day, or have a really good afternoon one day soon and drink them??:grin:

Sounds like a Packin' Vattin' is in order!

TnSquire
10-22-2006, 18:41
Drink em! lol

I just emptied my AAA 10yo....I will be in KY friday to replace it.

CrispyCritter
10-22-2006, 18:51
My GTS Fall '05 joined the ranks of the Empty Bottles yesterday. :cry:

cowdery
10-22-2006, 19:52
A tip about finishing off 1792. The bottle is deceptive. It looks like you have more left than you really do.

Same question about this as Bernheim. Has anyone made this a regular pour?

SBOmarc
10-22-2006, 20:18
A WT 101, a Maker's and an Eagle Rare SB moved to the empty side last night. Nothing else looms...

TNbourbon
10-22-2006, 20:39
Emptied a BR01 (Barrel Reject 01 -- one of the 4 Stitzel-Weller single-barrels from 2005) earlier. Only 40 or so to go!

dgonano
10-22-2006, 23:03
Those old gray labels.......like counting sheep before you sleep!

I have't replaced my Bernheim, but most likely will pick up a second bottle.

Jake_Parrott
10-23-2006, 09:02
Killed a Old Taylor BIB, Spring 1972 DSP 19-Fall 1982 DSP 14 yesterday. Only died because I used it to spread the gospel of studying the history of American whiskeys. It lived a wonderful and useful life :).

photogjunkie
10-24-2006, 08:52
This weekend I said goodbye to:

Old Fitzgerald 12yo (Louisville, Heritage Collection)
Old Taylor 6yo (1986 National Distillers)
Virginia Gentleman 90 (Early 1990's)
Buffalo Trace 90

The first two are impossible for me to obtain...the last two are possible, but would entail a 150 mile drive to do so.

dougdog
10-24-2006, 08:57
I said goodbye to my Pappy 20yo green glass bottle....tear

TnSquire
10-24-2006, 09:14
I emptied my Old Charter BIB last nite. I dont know if I will replace it or not. It was my mixing bourbon and the Rittenhouse has taken its place of late.

TNbourbon
10-24-2006, 15:48
I emptied my Old Charter BIB last nite. I dont know if I will replace it or not. It was my mixing bourbon and the Rittenhouse has taken its place of late.

The distributor who carries it in our area has discontinued the Old Charter BIB -- claiming it's no longer made, but more likely because of low sales. So, if you think you might EVER want to replace it, you might want to do it now.

TnSquire
10-24-2006, 15:58
That is good to know!

RedVette
10-24-2006, 20:20
Three bottles in three days, Weller 107, Pappy 15 and a Buffalo Trace. The first two are replaceable by heading to the local proprietor, but the BT requires a trip out of state. Sure would be nice to refill the coffers locally.

stoopsie
10-25-2006, 04:31
These are the bottle that went into the recycle bin today. Good bye to EWSB '95, OF BiB KY-1, EC12, Big and middle Knobs, Bookers '96, Saz jr, GTS 131.8, Saz18 '03, RHF, PVW15, RR90 and RR101. They had a good run but it had to end today. :cry:

Howie

Ubertaster
10-25-2006, 07:50
I just drained a George T. Stagg fall 05 on the last camping trip of the year. Sipped the last three pours under the canopy in the rain at a special punkin head event. Amazing we had a few trick or treaters to give candy to.

bj

CrispyCritter
10-25-2006, 19:58
My VG90 bottle just joined the ranks of the empties, after a double pour for tonight.

TimmyBoston
10-26-2006, 04:46
I struggle so much finishing any bottle, even the ones I can easily replace. I have about a dozen with less than an inch left in the bottom, but I can't bring myself to keep drinking them.

cowdery
10-26-2006, 12:47
I struggle so much finishing any bottle, even the ones I can easily replace. I have about a dozen with less than an inch left in the bottom, but I can't bring myself to keep drinking them.

That's why we're here, Tim.

Drink them. Really. It's better that way.

Nebraska
10-26-2006, 12:58
I finally did finish off that Rittenhouse BIB DSP 31 and I did in a VWSR that had been here a while. I almost couldn't reach for the bottle to finish it off, but then my loving wife told me to save the cap and cork and put them in my pillow case. Ease yourself away from them, let go, she said. I turned so that she couldn't see the tear forming in my eye as I heard the VWSR hit the bottom of the trash can.

darkluna
10-26-2006, 13:46
What a lineup! Wish I could have been there to help them along their way....and I don't mean by carrying them to the curb :grin:

These are the bottle that went into the recycle bin today. Good bye to EWSB '95, OF BiB KY-1, EC12, Big and middle Knobs, Bookers '96, Saz jr, GTS 131.8, Saz18 '03, RHF, PVW15, RR90 and RR101. They had a good run but it had to end today. :cry:

Howie

scratchline
10-26-2006, 17:35
Currently residing on my mantelpiece are an empty Evan Williams Distiller's Select, an empty pint of Old Crow BIB, and a WT 12 gold foil with a pour and a half in it. Can't bear the thought of parting with even the empties, but as a much wiser Bourbonian than myself once consoled me, "Every bottle has a bottom." We musn't fear the inevitable. Much better to have drunk it up than never to have drunk at all.

-Mike

Ubertaster
10-26-2006, 22:15
To celebrate the Cardinals win I finished off a PVW 15yo. I guess I will have to pop another cork. It's worth it.

bj

HighTower
10-27-2006, 03:40
So my wife also put the foot down with what bottles are allowed to make the journey, as far as fill lines are concerned. If there's under 3 pours, they have got to go. So here's the list:
WT 8yo 101
Basil Haydens
EWSB 1990 & 1992
Jim Beam Bonded
Knob Creek
Maker's Mark
EC12
Booker's
Beam's Choice
-& a couple of Tennessee numbers
Gentleman Jack
George Dickel 10yo 1987

Scott

Ok, so the desicion has been made, it's gonna be a vatting....now I need to decide on what bottle to put it in...ive got the choice of an EC12 bottle, a Canadian Club Classic bottle or a Woodford bottle.....
The best thing about this is that although it's going to create more than a couple of emptys, it's going to also create a nice full bottle...:grin: (hopefully)

Scott

BourbonJoe
10-27-2006, 07:53
Scott,
Sounds like it's gonna be a tough vatting to duplicate if it turns out to be good.
Joe

JeffRenner
10-27-2006, 09:05
That's why we're here, Tim.

Drink them. Really. It's better that way.

Inspired by your example, I killed three bottles last evening. Probably less than three shots total, though.

I wish I had started with the Bulleit, though, because my palate was fatiqued by the time I found it way in the back of the shelf. But I had been following people's comments on it in the "worst bourbon ever" (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=68762#post68762) thread. Many, many posters said that they didn't like it.

I have thoroughtly enjoyed this whiskey the times I had it before, and last evening was no exception. This is the only bottle I've had, so perhaps it was a particularly good one, but I found it to be very much in the Four Roses house style with similarities to the FR Single Barrel.

I didn't find it to be mild as Chuck (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=68762#post68762) did - elegant would come to mind more. And the rye definitely came through - not only wintergreen but also cinnamon, in an elegant way - not like a Mack truck the way it does in Old Potrero rye. Now that is probably more like a true "frontier whiskey," which is, of course, Fritz maytag's intent.

I will definitely replace this bottle and hope to get another good one, especially since it is only $23 here in Michigan, not the "almost $30" (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=68739&postcount=81) that TimmyBoston says he has to pay. It's not worth that much, especially since the Single Barrel is about that price, and I get down to KY occasionally. That's one of my very favorite bourbons, one particular bottling being my number one bourbon ever.

BTW, I got the new FR Small Batch (too bad that it has the same initials - FRSB - as the single barrel) last weekend and that I definitely find mild. No doubt because of its lower rye content. I suspect that it is aimed at the MM market. I've only had two drinks of it, so I'm still forming my opinion. At this point I think it's very nice but maybe a little too mild for my tastes. Extremely well put together, though.

Jeff

JeffRenner
10-27-2006, 09:10
Ok, so the desicion has been made, it's gonna be a vatting....now I need to decide on what bottle to put it in

That's what decanters are for!

Jeff

HighTower
10-27-2006, 15:58
Scott,
Sounds like it's gonna be a tough vatting to duplicate if it turns out to be good.
Joe
Yeah, I did that vatting last night, and as there were random amounts of each bourbon, you're right, it's something that I wouldn't be able to copy in any hurry! It ended up being 700-750mL, i put it in a 1L Canadian Club Classic bottle, it smells pretty good, and the color is fantastic! I also noticed a bit of char when pouring the Booker's in, should be interesting... I may just give it a try tonight!
I didn't end up using the Tennessee components, as I just didn't think that would be right, also Lennart (Hedmans Brorsa) was wanting to know what the Dickel 10yo 1987 is like, so I may have to drink that seperately:grin:

Scott

HighTower
10-27-2006, 16:00
That's what decanters are for!

Jeff

Jeff,
As I am packing my things about to move house, I didn't want to go putting it into a decanter for the move, which means I may have to empty my Jack decanter which has about 1/2 a litre of 86 proof JD in it:cool:

Scott

Geo
10-27-2006, 16:52
Tonight I drained my Vat Bottle of Buffalo Trace and Old Weller Antique 107.

I wish I still had my bottle of Stagg, but (sigh), I could not let it stare me in the face at the end of a hard week. :)

tgriff
10-28-2006, 19:30
eagle rare 101 (10y) just got rarer. it is sad that it is no longer bottled. i killed off one of my 3 bottles last night. i still haven't tasted all that many bourbons yet, but it is my favorite thus far.

smokinjoe
10-28-2006, 21:00
Saying goodbye to a Pikesville Rye. First, and probably only bottle. It won't be missed. Too many other great ryes out there.

JOE

FlashPuppy
10-28-2006, 21:05
Well, I was browsin through some bottles and realized that my Basil Hayden was looking extremely low. I poured it into a glass, and realized it wasn't worth even sitting down to drink. (enter Gillman mode) So I pulled out the Booker's and topped the glass off some. I must say, it is quite tasty. Almost tasty enough for me to pick up another bottle of BH just for Vatting with the Booker's. Hmmm... Maybe Gary is onto something with all this crazy vatting stuff.:grin: :grin:

Gillman
10-29-2006, 05:22
Thanks Flash but I didn't invent this stuff. :)

Four Roses does essentially what you did, so did Julian to make his fine current ORVW 13 year old rye (it is a mingling of two rye whiskeys I understand) and it goes on.

Gary

TNbourbon
11-13-2006, 20:40
My Black Maple Hill 18yo rye bit the dust tonight, following a coupla 2006 visits to Bardstown. While I enjoyed it well enough, its $80+ price tag will likely keep me from ever replacing it -- there are just too many other ryes I like as much or more for under half that cost (sometimes WAY under half $80) to justify it.

jspero
11-14-2006, 10:16
My last Weller 12 in the old style bottle bit it last night in a rare (for me) mid-week drink.

Jay

DrinkyBanjo
11-14-2006, 11:13
Anyone know if there is a difference between the old Weller 12 and the new besides the label. I have a couple of spare old ones that I'll bunker if that's the case.

smokinjoe
11-14-2006, 13:00
Good bye to a Very Rare Old Heaven Hill 10 yr. I may never understand how a bourbon this good can be so cheap...

JOE

cowdery
11-14-2006, 21:37
Anyone know if there is a difference between the old Weller 12 and the new besides the label. I have a couple of spare old ones that I'll bunker if that's the case.

Although there's an ongoing evolution in Weller, as BT moves through the wheated bourbon made at Bernheim into the wheated bourbon made at BT, but I don't believe any specific product changed occurred simultaneous with the package change.

JDutton
11-16-2006, 21:05
I'm finishing an EWSB 95 tonight. Fortunately, I've got more, and there's plenty to be had locally.:cool:

FlashPuppy
11-16-2006, 21:18
Polished off a bottle of Booker's last night. Not too sure if I will replace it...

CrispyCritter
11-16-2006, 22:01
Finished off a bottle of Laphroaig 10yo Cask Strength...

Edward_call_me_Ed
11-17-2006, 06:16
I put to old freinds to rest today.

WT 12 year old that I bought last June in the duty free and a WT Russell's Reserve 101 that I have had open for about two years. Both tasted great. I will replace the 12 year old soon. May never have the chance to replace the WTRR 101.

Ed

CrispyCritter
11-17-2006, 23:27
A bottle of Rittenhouse BIB has joined the empty bottle ranks tonight. More is on hand, but I'm preparing to go into BTAC mode for a while...

DrinkyBanjo
11-18-2006, 06:42
WLW 05. Sad to see it go but now its the 06's turn!

T47
11-19-2006, 21:04
W.L. Weller 12 went to the recycle bin tonight. I still have another, and I am glad of that. I think this is a great Bourbon for $20.

jburlowski
11-20-2006, 06:04
Emptied a long-neglected bootle of Lot B. I'll have to pick up a replacemnt this week.

jtn
11-20-2006, 15:05
Finished off a bottle of Baker's over the weekend. Making room in the cabinet for new selections!

RedVette
11-20-2006, 17:15
Had a party Saturday night. Finished off my last bottle Sam Houston with the 10yr neck label, a gold wax Hirsch and a The Macallan 15 year old fine oak. Many, many wine bottles are history, but none that are irreplaceable. Saw a couple drunks going for the Van Blankle so I had to drag out the baseball bat. We had a few civilized pours so there is still a fair amount left.

So Long, you Gold Wax Hirsch, I knew thee well.

CrispyCritter
11-21-2006, 18:50
My Hirsch 8yo Canadian Rye has joined the ranks of the empties...

gr8erdane
11-22-2006, 02:06
Before he left to join his family back in St Louis for the weekend, my roommate finished off the bottle of Old Granddad 114 he bought when we first hit Colorado back in August. To show him that I felt his pain I finished off the ETL bought that same night. As I sighed and looked at the empty bottle, I saw the picture of Elmer through the front and he seemed to be saying, "Don't worry, you'll be seeing more of me soon...."

jburlowski
11-22-2006, 05:23
An old friend was passing through the area and stopped by last night. We finished off a bottle of Hirsch 16. Sad to see it go but it was for a good cause.

CrispyCritter
11-24-2006, 19:46
My green-label WT Rye gave up its last pour tonight... I knew that it would develop an evaporation problem...

jburlowski
11-25-2006, 07:50
Finished off the last of the 2005 WLW. Sad to see it go ---- it was my favorite of last year's BTAC.

Oh well, on to the 2006!

RedVette
11-25-2006, 20:24
Tonight we say goodbye to the last 12 yr old split label WT in the collection. I have to admit I can't taste the difference between the split label and the joined label, but it still feels bad to let this one go.

gothbat
11-26-2006, 11:33
I had a few bottles that only had a pour or so left in them so I finished them all this weekend. Goodbye to WTRB, RHF, and ER10. I’m sure I’ll end up buying all 3 again at some point but for now I’m glad to have some space where I keep my open bottles for a new bottle or 2 over the next few weeks.

fitzharry
11-30-2006, 23:11
I finished off another bottle (one in a long line) of Laird's Straight Apple Brandy, Bottled in Bond, 100 proof, tonight. It turned cold for the first time tonight here in Houston, and what better way (other than good bourbon!) to celebrate cold weather than American apple brandy. This stuff is delicious.

barturtle
12-10-2006, 22:00
I have been slowly working down some bottles, the first two of that group bit the dust tonight, Weller Antique and VROHH, but I'll be in KY in a couple weeks to replace them

SBOmarc
12-11-2006, 09:44
Said goodbye to a BMH 14, an ETL Gold Foil, ER SB, and a Knob Creek. Had some heavy pours with great friends.

A Good Time Was Had By All!

Jazzhead
12-11-2006, 10:59
It's sayonara to my bottle of Old Forrester 2004 Birthday bourbon. It was never a favorite, though, so I probably won't replace it. I have three (one open) bottles of "regular" Old Forrester, though. I must have low-rent tastes - I like the regular expression better!

Old Lamplighter
12-11-2006, 23:25
Although not a big favorite of mine personally, and, from what I have read here it does not have many fans in general.....I will kind of miss the bottle of KY Vintage I finished this evening. In fact, my better half consumed 90% of it and loved it! Her tastes are pretty simple though......so, not a big surprise. Still, though no tear in my eye, I will miss it a bit (or perhaps I just miss not having the opportunity to try more of it!). Picked it up locally at a good price of $19.99. The only other bottle I've seen since then around these parts was $27.99.....and, I ain't paying that much for 'bought' or surplus bourbon.

cowdery
12-20-2006, 02:17
Weller 12 and Evan Williams 1783.

gr8erdane
12-22-2006, 04:11
A twin killing? Oh the humanity......

Big Chipper
12-22-2006, 06:44
I've got bottles of PVW 15, GTStagg, WLW, and VW LotB all with about two or three fingers left. I don't know what to do...this is killing me!

cowdery
12-22-2006, 17:41
Finish them, man, don't torture yourself. Then report back. We're here for you.

gothbat
12-23-2006, 21:39
Savoring the last pour in my PVW20 bottle.

straightwhiskeyruffneck
12-24-2006, 14:25
i got elmer t lee and a '68 beam 10 yr on the chopping block.

Virus_Of_Life
12-24-2006, 23:48
Tonight the last of 16 year cask 131 Black Maple Hill found its way into a snifter (not my usual bourbon glass) and I have to say if I was to write a top 10 whiskeys I've tasted as of now, it'd have to be on the list. I really think this BMH is phenomenol stuff and I tip my hat to Evan and Drew Kulsveen, they are doing things with the bulk whiskey they buy that IMHO, well, let's just say it is really good stuff!

Old Lamplighter
12-25-2006, 00:34
Last pour of my tattered bottle of UD OGD 114; another ORVW 15 bites the dust; the wife has discovered the wonders of WTRB :smiley_acbt: and so it is now wasting away before my very eyes, and, my Stagg 05/131.8 is beginning to show wear from my egg nog experiments over the past week. 'Can I make it to Tuesday?' is now the question.:bigeyes:

ripvanfan
12-27-2006, 09:48
Recently finished an old Squat of Rip Van 10 year purchased in the summer of 2001. I only have half a squat of the 15 year RVW left and that will be the end of my SW supply. I find it very hard to drink that stuff.

FlashPuppy
12-27-2006, 11:01
My '05 Stagg is about to hi the recyclin' bin tonight. I am trying to clear out my open bottles before I leave.

Edward_call_me_Ed
12-27-2006, 22:51
I haven't finished a bottle in a while, so they are starting to pile up again. A month or so ago I retired nearly ten old friends. I must steel myself to continue the house cleaning.

Ed

FlashPuppy
12-28-2006, 21:20
Yep, an '05 Stagg and a PVW 15 hit the recycle bin tonight.

Sad to see 'em go, glad to welcome their replacements.

upstate
12-29-2006, 07:28
JBB thought it was good Until I replaced it with EC12. See ya Jim.

kbuzbee
12-29-2006, 09:33
I must steel myself to continue the house cleaning.

Ed

Be strong Ed, it must be done.

Ken

barturtle
12-29-2006, 09:44
VG90 is a goner. I think it's time to open a fresh round of bottles!

jburlowski
12-29-2006, 09:45
I bid farewell to a bottle of VSOF.... sigh.

SBOmarc
12-29-2006, 19:38
ETL, and an '06 OFBB.

Edward_call_me_Ed
12-30-2006, 06:42
Be strong Ed, it must be done.

Ken

Yesterday I opened three new bottles. I don't think I am doing this right...:lol:

Ed

Ubertaster
12-30-2006, 06:54
Sazarac Jr last night. A new order is on the way.

bj

Edward_call_me_Ed
12-30-2006, 20:05
Sazarac Jr last night. A new order is on the way.

bj

That's one I really should finish off, but there is no way to get another that I know of, not here anyway.

Ed

Virus_Of_Life
12-31-2006, 00:51
That's one I really should finish off, but there is no way to get another that I know of, not here anyway.

Ed

Ed you just need to work out a deal with an US based couterpart to ship to you occasionally and you do likewise with some of those tasty export only's... If you need a volunteer I'd glad to throw my name in the hat.

As for me; a bottle of Rittenhouse BiB just bit the dust. I have to say I like it, but not as much as most here. It seems to fall in the middle of typical ryes and that is likely what many enjoy, it is not as young and "herby" tasting as the Saz Jr. and not as old and fruity sweet as VWFRR.

OscarV
12-31-2006, 05:13

Ed

I checked all the on-line shippers and eBay, and I saw none of the Sazerac Jr. I was in Kentucky in October and I checked several stores' inventories looking for other things and I don't recall seeing it except one place, and I bought it for a friend for Christmas.

Does anyone know if this is a once a year release and the new bottles aren't out yet.

I'd ship you some "Care Packages" Ed, because you have all that Wild Turkey we can't get here.

TNbourbon
12-31-2006, 06:56
Oscar, it's still on a number of shelves in these parts, and has been pretty much continually since its release. I believe it's intended to be a regular bottling, but 'regular' at Buffalo Trace means 'on allocation', as every one of their whiskies is. So, there may well be gaps.

jspero
01-03-2007, 11:24
I finished off a bottle of ORVW 15/107 over the weekend (no, not all at once, just the last few pours!). I'm sad to see it go since I only have one left and don't see the new Pappy 15 anywhere.

Jay

Ubertaster
01-03-2007, 13:10
I checked all the on-line shippers and eBay, and I saw none of the Sazerac Jr. I was in Kentucky in October and I checked several stores' inventories looking for other things and I don't recall seeing it except one place, and I bought it for a friend for Christmas.

Does anyone know if this is a once a year release and the new bottles aren't out yet.

I'd ship you some "Care Packages" Ed, because you have all that Wild Turkey we can't get here.

The Sazarac Jr is still available at Binny's.

bj

jburlowski
01-03-2007, 17:34
[quote=OscarV;77855]

quote]
Its pretty widely available here in Northern Kentucky....

CrispyCritter
01-03-2007, 18:57
Latest casualties: ORVW 10/107 and OGD BIB.

Edward_call_me_Ed
01-03-2007, 23:02
Hi Oscar,
Hi Christian,

Thanks for the kind offers. I really haven't done much trading as of yet. I did trade several bottles with Mark (Nebraska) when I was back home. That was face to face on my folks' deck and involved no shipping.

I think doing more trading will be one of my New Year's Resolutions.

Ed

Edward_call_me_Ed
01-03-2007, 23:12
I have been retiring a few of those many bottles with just a couple of pours in them. Recently, a WT 12, an Old Ezra 15, an Old Forester 100 proof, a WT Rare Breed, and an ORVW 10 yo 90 proof have been emptied. Also retired was a Noilly Pratt dry vermouth and a Tanqueray London Dry Gin.

There are still a fair number slated for the chopping block.

Ed

Virus_Of_Life
01-05-2007, 01:16
Weller 12 DB Barrel C bit the dust tonite, some very fine SW whiskey for a song!

Next in line, the rest of that BMH 11yr and say it ain't so a bottle of VWFRR!!

HighTower
01-05-2007, 05:03
Ed,

not only should Binny's have Sazerac Jr, but it was hand selected by Brett, he claimed the stuff he tasted through to be "universally outstanding".

Scott

Old Lamplighter
01-07-2007, 00:36
My holiday bottle of WT-03RB tonite. Bad news is it is now another old friend gone empty. Good news is I picked up a replacement on Friday!

Ubertaster
01-07-2007, 09:16
Rittenhouse Rye BIB. The new order came in just in time.

bj

JDutton
01-07-2007, 14:21
I finished up my bottle of ORVW 10/90 last night, then finished the last of my EWSB 95. Fortunately, I've got a nearly full bottle of ORVW 10/107, and EWSB 95 is still easy to find around here. Now I'm down to "only" 8 open bottles.

Jeff

Edward_call_me_Ed
01-07-2007, 18:00
A couple of nights ago I did finish my Baby Saz. I can't bring myself to throw the bottle away though.

Ed

CrispyCritter
01-07-2007, 18:08
A bottle of Tangle Ridge just bit the dust tonight. Fortunately, I have one in reserve that I picked up at a closeout price.

Big Chipper
01-08-2007, 13:17
Polished off my first bottle of WTRB. Man was that some good stuff! Thanks to any and all who pointed out the virtues of this fine pour. It will begin regular rotation...

SBOmarc
01-08-2007, 13:59
Said a long goodbye to a bottle of Bulleit. This hung around for quite some time.

gothbat
01-08-2007, 14:49
I polished off the last of my VWSR12 this weekend. Now I have to get some more wheaters as after this weekend and the previous where I finished off 06 WLW there are none on my bar!

photogjunkie
01-08-2007, 18:01
This weekend I said goodbye to an old bottle of ORVW 107 and an Old Weller Antique 107 (Heritage Collection-Louisville). Sad to see them go, but fortunately I have spares.

Ubertaster
01-09-2007, 07:51
Bottle of Bookers with the wooden box bit the dust.

bj

Edward_call_me_Ed
01-09-2007, 15:07
Bottle of Bookers with the wooden box bit the dust.

bj

I have seen a bottle of Booker's in a pasteboard box. Is that the wave of the future?

Ed

ILLfarmboy
01-09-2007, 15:48
I would prefer if they dispense with the box all together and droped the price a few bucks. I just polished off a bottle of this myself Sunday night.

jburlowski
01-09-2007, 15:49
I have seen a bottle of Booker's in a pasteboard box. Is that the wave of the future?

Ed

They all seem (at least stateside) to come in wooden boxes now... perhaps part of the effort to justify the price.

fog
01-09-2007, 15:51
I recently finished my bottle of WL Weller Special Reserve.

I enjoyed the first half of it, but I did not care for the second half. I am wodering if my tastes changed or if this due to the effects of aeration.

I am not sure if I will replace it with another bottle from the Weller line.

gothbat
01-09-2007, 16:36

Ed

I should hope not. Then where will I put my rolls of quarters? They're a perfect fit and they hold 52 rolls!

Mike R
01-10-2007, 09:19
OGD Bib and a Buffalo Trace,,, both were very good. I like to start the night with a BT follow it with the OGD, just the right bite.

MikeR

upstate
01-11-2007, 06:35
EC 12 I'm going to replace this right now!

NYtaster
01-11-2007, 18:24
I finished off my bottle of Hirsch 16YO, I took my time with this one. Not sure I'll replace it as the price is going up and I'm not sure its worth all that!

Tim

Solomon2
01-11-2007, 19:08

Ed
I've seen bottles of WR in flat tin cans. If that's the wave of the future, could someone tell me what the point is? :rolleyes:

cowdery
01-12-2007, 00:35
Just finished off a bottle of the Weller 12 from Everett's (the surprise SW barrels), which I must say really grew on me. Weller 12, whether a special retailer single barrel selection or the standard issue, is rapidly becoming one of my favorites.

TimmyBoston
01-12-2007, 02:10
Killed my bottle of Bulleit a day or two ago. Oddly enough, I'm gonna miss it. It makes a great kentucky iced tea. Nobody's more suprised than me. I also killed a glenlivet a week or so ago. I expected to miss that one. Thankfully I had another ready and waiting. :cool:

HighTower
01-12-2007, 03:10

Ed
Ed,
We've been getting those in Australia for about 2 years I would say. Hard to find a wooden box anywhere in the traps. The thing that got to me the most was them stopping Knob Creek and bringing out that 'Jim Beam Small Batch' crap, something we could have definitely done without!

Scott

Edward_call_me_Ed
01-12-2007, 06:42
Ed,
We've been getting those in Australia for about 2 years I would say. Hard to find a wooden box anywhere in the traps. The thing that got to me the most was them stopping Knob Creek and bringing out that 'Jim Beam Small Batch' crap, something we could have definitely done without!

Scott

Sorry to hear about the disappearance of KC.

They better not try that in Japan. The package is as important or more important thant the contents here. They will not be able to charge as much for it if the package isn't nice. I won't mind, I couldn't care less about packaging if I like the product. Admittedly, I can be influenced by the packaging on a first purchase. But after I have decided I like something and am fairly sure that it is the same thing in a cheaper box I will still buy it, especially if the price goes down, too. That happened with OGD 114. I was pretty happy to save around ten bucks a bottle.

Ed

TNbourbon
01-12-2007, 21:58
Finishing an early-'80s Ezra Brooks 7/90 from a glass decanter tonight. Had I known about bourbon back then, this would be a regular pour still today -- I can see bunkering some of this (and, in fact, I have:cool:). I've had it at a variety of ages from a variety of containers, and always enjoyed it.
Serendipitously, even the modern 'Luxco' (erstwhile David Sherman) version isn't bad for a 90-proofer under $11 per 750ml. I'm assuming it's actually HH whiskey, of course.

CrispyCritter
01-12-2007, 22:21
Last night, a bottle of Spring '05 Stagg gave its last pour to our cause. :usflag:

Old Lamplighter
01-13-2007, 00:41
Tonight, a very kind & loving bottle of Wild Turkey RR-101 gave way with 2 last generous pours to my personal benefit. It will be missed but surely never forgotten!

Edward_call_me_Ed
01-13-2007, 05:08
Tonight, a very kind & loving bottle of Wild Turkey RR-101 gave way with 2 last generous pours to my personal benefit. It will be missed but surely never forgotten!

That's the way to do it! Don't be stingy with the last pours!

Ed

Edward_call_me_Ed
01-13-2007, 05:26
Oh, I almost forgot to record the final pour of a bottle of Thomas Hardy Rye. This was one of the great bottles. I feel privileged to have known it.

The last pour was full of fine particles of char. The first sips were literally chewy. I could feel the char between my teeth. Lest I be misunderstood, I did not find this unpleasant, quite the reverse.

I let it settle, but even after a long time (I didn't time it so I don't know how long) there was still a lot of fine particles suspended in the whiskey. Finally, almost all of it had settled. Sipping it all I could think was, God, this is good whiskey!

The last sip was a large one, full of char.

A fitting send off.

Ed

Old Lamplighter
01-13-2007, 13:35
Oh, I almost forgot to record the final pour of a bottle of Thomas Hardy Rye. This was one of the great bottles. I feel privileged to have known it.

The last pour was full of fine particles of char. The first sips were literally chewy. I could feel the char between my teeth. Lest I be misunderstood, I did not find this unpleasant, quite the reverse.

I let it settle, but even after a long time (I didn't time it so I don't know how long) there was still a lot of fine particles suspended in the whiskey. Finally, almost all of it had settled. Sipping it all I could think was, God, this is good whiskey!

The last sip was a large one, full of char.

A fitting send off.

Ed

Very, very nice description of what surely was a fine bottle of whiskey! I must try one of these........if I can find one!

gothbat
01-13-2007, 22:08
That's the way to do it! Don't be stingy with the last pours!

I'll say, there's nothing more disapointing than pouring out the last of a bottle and having your glass be less full than it usually is. It's nice when you get a little more than the usual on the last one.

T47
01-13-2007, 22:21
My RHF hit the recycle bin tonight. Sorry to see this one go, if the time and funds are right, I will repace it one day. For a couple dollars more, I think I prefer the PVW 15, but variety is nice.

:toast:

Old Lamplighter
01-16-2007, 22:38
As mentioned in the "what are you drinking tonight" thread, I'm finishing off a bottle of Pappy 15 that was 'lost' for a few months in the back of the cabinet. On one hand, I am sad to see it go while on the other hand I realize it would have already been long gone if not misplaced for awhile. So, mixed feelings.......but, laying plans to replace it immediately in the next 48-72 hours.

Also, my last bottle (for the time being) of ETL that I am sampling tonite is getting pretty low. However, I will save it for retirement on another night down the line.

OscarV
01-17-2007, 13:55
Just killed off my Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 Year Old.
I was really getting attached to this bottle.
I have never had the Stitzel-Weller version, some here call that the Holy Grail, but I must say Heaven Hill did a good job on this.

Str8RYE
01-18-2007, 10:07
Just killed off my Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 Year Old.
I was really getting attached to this bottle.
I have never had the Stitzel-Weller version, some here call that the Holy Grail, but I must say Heaven Hill did a good job on this.

The Very, Very Old Fitzgerald 12 YO or 15 YO is the Holy Grail. Also the Very Old Fitzgerald 8 YO and the Very Extra Old Fitzgerald 10 YO would be considered in the same league as the VVOF 12/15. The VSOF was created by UD in the 90's and now a HH product. The bottles label BHC on the label are S-W Bourbon but very different than the VVOF.

upstate
01-19-2007, 13:23
lot b getting recycled today, replaced with first bottle of OGD, trying to mix it up.

dougdog
01-19-2007, 20:41
Willett's Rye bottle #170 of 263, is dust...

Old Lamplighter
01-19-2007, 23:49
ETL....gone with the wind. This was a single barrel selected by a retailer in the BT barrel program.....very good selection, will miss it.

Edward_call_me_Ed
01-20-2007, 04:04
A bottle of Blanton's Gold and a Blanton's Silver just bit the dust. There is a bottle of Blanton's Straight From the Barrel that looks like it is going to go soon, too. Probably not tonight. My Rittenhouse Rye BIB might go tonight though.

Ed

jburlowski
01-21-2007, 15:32
This weekend saw the end of a bottle of OCPR and one of FRSmB.

Edward_call_me_Ed
01-21-2007, 19:39
A bottle of Blanton's Gold and a Blanton's Silver just bit the dust. There is a bottle of Blanton's Straight From the Barrel that looks like it is going to go soon, too. Probably not tonight. My Rittenhouse Rye BIB might go tonight though.

Ed

The Rittenhouse did bite the dust that night. Last night saw the last pour of my Blanton's Straight From the Barrel. I don't have any Blanton's in the house now. That hasn't happened in ages. I stopped by a liquor store last night, but their prices were too high on the Blanton's. They had some good prices on other bourbons, but I didn't get any. I bought a case of beer instead. I think I will check a couple of other places today. I also plan to place an order on line this evening.

Ed

mountster27
01-22-2007, 00:00
Home for Christmas, my dad and i finished Pappy's 20 yr and BMH 14. We also finished a bottle of Chivas 21 yr royal salute that i was given on my 21st birthday.

That's what this delicious stuff is for.

-m

jburlowski
01-22-2007, 12:27
They had some good prices on other bourbons, but I didn't get any. I bought a case of beer instead.
Ed

I am so sorry....

Edward_call_me_Ed
01-22-2007, 16:02
I am so sorry....

I was to, but it was a case of good beer.:grin:

Ed

SBOmarc
01-22-2007, 16:50
Another ETL...do I detect a trend here. Still have one bunkered. May let it sit for just a bit.

Edward_call_me_Ed
01-22-2007, 22:48
Another ETL...do I detect a trend here. Still have one bunkered. May let it sit for just a bit.

I finished off an ETL two nights. too. I cracked the next one the next day.

Ed

cowdery
01-23-2007, 15:22
Everett's, home of the SW Weller 12, also had a single barrel store selection of Weller Special Reserve that is quite good. A bottle of that bit the dust last night.

barturtle
01-23-2007, 20:34
Bidding adieu to a bottle of Old Charter 7yo BIB.:cry:

Always on the lookout for more:searching:

jburlowski
01-25-2007, 11:30
Burried a long lingering bottle of GTS 2002...

Alas, there will never be another. Only the sweet memores to hang on to....

hookfinger
01-27-2007, 11:54
I know it's really not all that special but I tear up everytime I fifnish a bottle of AAA 10 yr. It's not available in the area so I have to stock up on my trips to KY and I'm never sure if it is just going to fade away before I get back.

Edward_call_me_Ed
01-28-2007, 18:02
The other day I cracked the seal on my remaining bottle of Thomas Hardy Rye. I know It isn't empty, but that is the first step, isn't it?

Ed

jburlowski
01-29-2007, 15:45
The other day I cracked the seal on my remaining bottle of Thomas Hardy Rye. I know It isn't empty, but that is the first step, isn't it?

Ed

... and it's a very slippery slope.

fitzharry
01-29-2007, 23:22
Ed:

Let us know what your thoughts on the Handy are. I just bought a couple of bottles of Handy, based on the recommendations from members here, and am looking forward to trying it. My rye experience has been limited to WT101, Old Overholt, and Jim Beam Rye, but at least I've been drinking the WT101 rye since it was still in the old-style bottle and label back in the 1980s. I may be a bourbon fan, but rye helps keep my taste buds honest.

Harrison

Edward_call_me_Ed
01-30-2007, 07:20
Ed:

Let us know what your thoughts on the Handy are. I just bought a couple of bottles of Handy, based on the recommendations from members here, and am looking forward to trying it. My rye experience has been limited to WT101, Old Overholt, and Jim Beam Rye, but at least I've been drinking the WT101 rye since it was still in the old-style bottle and label back in the 1980s. I may be a bourbon fan, but rye helps keep my taste buds honest.

Harrison

It is going to be very different from the Ryes that you have had before. BIG Cinnamon hit. I really like it straight, but this is on high proof whiskey that I like better cut down to 100 proof or less.

Be sure and tell us what you think of it.

Ed

tachyonshuggy
01-30-2007, 07:36
Just polished off my first, and probably last, bottle of EW1783. Nothing really bad about it, it just had that over-before-it-starts finish that would leave me wanting more if it left me with something in the first place. But at $11 I do like the price :)

tritioch
02-01-2007, 13:41
Bid a fond farewell to a bottle of 2002 Saz 18 the other night. Making matters worse, the bunker was moved off-site so to speak, so all ive got on hand is a bottle of ETL. I think I need to re-think this and move to an apartment with more space.

cowdery
02-01-2007, 16:50
Bid a fond farewell to a bottle of 2002 Saz 18 the other night. Making matters worse, the bunker was moved off-site so to speak, so all ive got on hand is a bottle of ETL. I think I need to re-think this and move to an apartment with more space.

I don't care how small your apartment is, what else do you have there that is more important than your whiskey? Clothes? Shoes? Sheets and Towels? Dishes? Food?

Priorities, man, priorities.

jburlowski
02-02-2007, 07:11
Said so long to another Lot B. Tried to replace it at several local stores and came up empty handed. Has it been discontinued or is it just in unusually short supply?

TNbourbon
02-02-2007, 09:32
Said so long to another Lot B. Tried to replace it at several local stores and came up empty handed. Has it been discontinued or is it just in unusually short supply?

It is in its usual short supply.

doubleblank
02-02-2007, 09:41
Yep, all the Van Winkles are in their usual short supply here too Tim. You're more likely to find a Pappy 20 or 23 than VWSR 12yo Lot B right now.

Randy

chouffe62
02-02-2007, 11:08
Just finished my last bottle of 2002 Stagg. No, that wasn't a tear, honest! There must be something in my eye! :rolleyes:

jeff
02-02-2007, 13:14
Just finished my last bottle of 2002 Stagg. No, that wasn't a tear, honest! There must be something in my eye! :rolleyes:

That one hurts... :cry:

barturtle
02-02-2007, 19:20
Finished off a bottle of Johnny Drum 12yo 101.

I enjoyed it and have another on the shelf, but it will stay sealed for a while, as I have many new bottles to get around to spending some quality time with.

CrispyCritter
02-02-2007, 20:25
This week's victims:

EWSB 1996
Aberlour A'Bunadh Batch #15
WTRR 101 (EDIT: I wiped out the last pour tonight)

TimmyBoston
02-03-2007, 23:36
Killed a bottle of Old Forrester 100 a little while back. Before that the last was Lot B. I need to replace both.

Edward_call_me_Ed
02-04-2007, 02:44
A friend came over last Monday and we drank a bunch of my good rye. The next day I was shocked to find that my VWFR Rye 13 was empty. Then I remembered that I had willingly poured the last of it. I knew I had another bottle on the way.

Ed

fitzharry
02-04-2007, 06:57
I finished off another bottle of Old Grand-Dad BIB 100 proof. This was the bottle I drank for the BOTM tasting last month, but I still have five more bottles in my bunker (even though it's readily available at my local liquor store). I really like that orange label and screw-top!

jburlowski
02-04-2007, 14:34
Finished off my bottle of OFBB 2006. After my tepid initial reaction, I found that I liked this pour more and more over time. Just goes to re-confirm that every bourbon needs /deserves several tastings over time before a final judgement is made.

Rughi
02-05-2007, 08:59
Well, this isn't quite about empty bottles, as none of them are really emptied. But I did finally get organized and stored away a portion of my open bottles. It cleared up a lot of storage space while securing the longevity of many good whiskies.

Any bottles less than 1/2 full got stored into well-sealed 4 ounce bottles that should keep me in taste memories for decades. I think these small bottles, filled with virtually no headroom and a really good plastic seal in the cap are much more secure than standard bottles.

A few really special bottles were put away in several 4oz'ers even though they were mostly full, so I never have more than a few ounces at a time with the "clock ticking" on them. In this way, I'm confident that National Distillers, Stitzel Weller and the DSP's 414 , 31, and 19 will live as long as I do (at my house).

In the space of about 6 750ml's I put away 4 cases of 4oz'ers holding the remainder of these 31 American Whiskies and 4 Scotches. Some bottles I put into 4oz'ers just so I can get rid of the bottles, which is why these fairly pedestrian Scotches got put away.

Here (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5178&highlight=Gift+of+bourbon) is a discussion on the 4oz'ers I like so well.

Roger

heatmiser
02-05-2007, 11:13
Any bottles less than 1/2 full got stored into well-sealed 4 ounce bottles that should keep me in taste memories for decades. I think these small bottles, filled with virtually no headroom and a really good plastic seal in the cap are much more secure than standard bottles

I have quite a few 375ml bottles that I do the same thing with. Once the standard 750ml bottle is half full the contents get shifted into a 375ml bottle. In between I spray them with Wine Preserver (nitrogen) to keep the oxygen away.

boone
02-05-2007, 11:43
Any bottles less than 1/2 full got stored into well-sealed 4 ounce bottles that should keep me in taste memories for decades. I think these small bottles, filled with virtually no headroom and a really good plastic seal in the cap are much more secure than standard bottles.

Roger

Hi Roger,

Keep a eye on your little bottlings. Make sure they are in a "cool" space :grin: :grin: No heat...

One of my responsibilities at Heaven Hill is to keep the bottles filled at legal "fill point" by weight/volume, after a line change, on every line. The head space is very important. If alcohol is warm the volume will rise. If there's no head space for this rise in volume, loose caps and even "popped tops" will occur. Even a dropped bottle on the floor will cause the caps to become loose. Proper torque is most important. You'd be surprised, I've seen the caps loosen from a fall to the box because of "improper torque" :grin: :grin: :grin:

Just a little maintenance training sent your way :grin: :grin: :grin:

Bettye Jo

Rughi
02-05-2007, 16:41
Hi Roger,

Keep a eye on your little bottlings. Make sure they are in a "cool" space :grin: :grin: No heat...

One of my responsibilities at Heaven Hill is to keep the bottles filled at legal "fill point" by weight/volume, after a line change, on every line. The head space is very important. If alcohol is warm the volume will rise. If there's no head space for this rise in volume, loose caps and even "popped tops" will occur. Even a dropped bottle on the floor will cause the caps to become loose. Proper torque is most important. You'd be surprised, I've seen the caps loosen from a fall to the box because of "improper torque" :grin: :grin: :grin:

Just a little maintenance training sent your way :grin: :grin: :grin:

Bettye Jo

Thanks Bettye Jo,
I'll see if I have to pour off a little sip on any of them.

Roger "DSP 31 Forever!" Hodges

HighTower
02-05-2007, 21:17
What a weekend. The recycling bin contains an EC12, Maker's Mark, 2x Canadian Club Classic, 1x CC 1L. Disappointing as none of my new additions got opened!

Scott

JDutton
02-06-2007, 08:54
Disappointing as none of my new additions got opened!

Well now - Who's fault is that? :grin:

HighTower
02-07-2007, 03:28
Well now - Who's fault is that? :grin:

My fault - for sure, however I'm glad I didn't get drunk and waste my Pappy 20 I was planning on opening. I want to enjoy it:grin: and that I will do when the time is right.

Scott

Edward_call_me_Ed
02-07-2007, 08:13
My fault - for sure, however I'm glad I didn't get drunk and waste my Pappy 20 I was planning on opening. I want to enjoy it:grin: and that I will do when the time is right.

Scott

Ya godda get to work! :grin:

Of the nine bottles I got on Monday seven are open. The only ones that are still sealed are backups for open bottles waiting to be emptied. But that is what this thread is for.

Ed

dougdog
02-09-2007, 19:24
Waving good-bye to the first empty Thomas Handy Rye bottle...man that stuff is good, worse yet, my son likes it...now there's extra pressure!....shees!

He's already asked when the next one is going to be opened, when he found out, well, that wasn't soon enough to suit him, so, he asked if he could buy it outright...I said "dream on sonny" go find your own!...as he poured the last little bit into his glass, commenting on the char-dust that was evident in the very last pour.

Gotta luv that char dust...and everything that comes with it...good job BT !!!!!!!!!!

Yum!

Virus_Of_Life
02-10-2007, 01:07
Well the night before last it was the 2005 ER17 that bit the dust, finally, wasn't sad to see it go and quite honestly will not be buying anymore. It just isn't up to the standards of the other BTAC IMO. Maybe they should change it to Barrel Proof, it's good just not good enough to spend $50+ on. But I digress, tonight it is the 141.2 Stagg that looks like it'll be biting the dust. I've been focusing on finishing some less than half full bottles and I am about done and ready to open a few new bottles. :grin:

Last night it was about two bottles of Patron Silver that some co-workers and I polished off at El Torito... oh and a few pitchers of XX... The big boss was there and commented that he thought I was a bourbon guy and asked about how many unopened bottles I have. I explained that I've never been into monogamy and that I treat the loves of my life, Bourbon, Rye and Tequila, equally! :lol:

T47
02-10-2007, 08:20
Gotta luv that char dust...and everything that comes with it...good job BT !!!!!!!!!!
Yum!
I finally found the courage to finish my Stagg. Working that char dust over the tongue...taking in every bit of wonderful flavor. This bottle has been good to me. Shared several pours with the neighbors, many good memories. I gently lowered it into the recycle bin and bid farewell.

cowdery
02-10-2007, 12:52
It's good now and then to remind everyone that the purpose of this thread is to provide support when our friends undertake the difficult but necessary task of finishing a beloved whiskey. Well done Doug, Todd, Scott and the rest of you. It's tough love, but you showed the moxie to get the job done. Congratulations!

TNbourbon
02-10-2007, 23:27
I finally found the courage to finish my Stagg. Working that char dust over the tongue...taking in every bit of wonderful flavor...

I, too, emptied a Fall 2005 Stagg tonight. Little or no char -- luck of the draw, I guess, for better or worse. Being something of a whiskey iconoclast, after some time sipping, I finished the last ounce-and-a-half or so by pouring some diet cola atop it -- sorry but, frankly, I like it that way.

T47
02-11-2007, 09:01
I finished the last ounce-and-a-half or so by pouring some diet cola atop it -- sorry but, frankly, I like it that way.

Never apologize for enjoying a drink the way you like it. The Stagg will elevate the coke to a new level!
From the size of your bunker...The information your share with the Bourbon community (your Guru Status)...I would say your appreciation of Bourbon is well documented, you enjoy your drinks any way you please!

jeff
02-12-2007, 17:06
Tonight is was a bottle of 17yo Vintage Bourbon. Not only is this the cheapest in the Vintage lineup, it's also the best. I have been sipping on this one for about 6 months now. I will definitely replace it! :yum:

pepcycle
02-13-2007, 10:52
I finished my Vintage 17 YO last night as well. I was reading a book for pleasure, something I haven't done except on vacation. It was great. I felt like I should put on a robe and silk ascot, ala Hef. I almost shot myself in the foot with the Patty (for Valentine's Day) when I asked her to put another log on the fire. It landed behind me. Not anywhere near the fire.
I will replace this.
Ed

cowdery
02-13-2007, 16:43
It sounds like The Patty was off her game. I'm sure she intended it to go just a little bit further, and I don't mean into the fire. More like into the back of your head.

ggilbertva
02-13-2007, 21:48
Tonight is was a bottle of 17yo Vintage Bourbon. Not only is this the cheapest in the Vintage lineup, it's also the best. I have been sipping on this one for about 6 months now. I will definitely replace it! :yum:

I finished off this evening with Vintage 17 also. I only have about 2 pours left, or 1 healthy pour. Too bad for me VA doesn't carry Vintage.

straightwhiskeyruffneck
02-13-2007, 23:39
tonight was a wild turkey night, 101 and rarebreed. guess that tells me i like wild turkey. i think russel's reserve is probably next on the chopping block

TBoner
02-14-2007, 19:18
Well, the beauty of both 101 and Rare Breed is they are replaceable at a very reasonable price given the quality.

That RR101, on the other hand...

Here's hoping it lasts a bit longer.

CrispyCritter
02-15-2007, 21:17
My single-barrel Saz Jr. just gave up its last pour... I better go get another one - even if it's just as likely to have an evaporation problem as the first one. :grin:

OscarV
02-16-2007, 14:03
I just finished the last of my Pappy 20.
I opened it around Christmas and only been hittin' it when the mood was right.

Today? Well,....it was Friday and good-bye Pappy.

Ubertaster
02-17-2007, 06:59
I just finished up an Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve. I am glad I have one in the bunker to replace it. This is my favorite Old Charter.

bj

fitzharry
02-17-2007, 19:44
I just finished up an Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve. I am glad I have one in the bunker to replace it. This is my favorite Old Charter.

bj

I just found two bottles of the Proprieter's Reserve a couple of weeks ago and I am looking forward to trying it.

One bottle of Jim Beam Black hit the dust this weekend. This is okay bourbon, but not one that I'd replace right away.

jburlowski
02-18-2007, 13:47
FInished a bottle of EC 18. For some reason I've fallen in love with that dry finish.

jspero
02-21-2007, 07:18
I finished off a 2005 ER 17 and a VG 90 "The Fox" last weekend. I'll replace the VG, but not the ER 17 (especially when I can get more than 2 ER 10 SBs for the same price and they taste pretty darn close to me).

Jay

ggilbertva
02-23-2007, 18:21
Last pour of my Vintage Bourbon 17. Unfortunately, I don't have a bottle in the bunker. :(

Russellc
02-26-2007, 07:58
A sad month february, it saw the end of a Pappy 20 yr, (3 in reserve) a GTS, ( 2 in reserve), an eagle rare 10 yr SB, and an Eagle Rare 17 yr....I am going to replace the 17 year if it kills me! ( hopefully without having to resort tp mail order....) At one point each of the above bottles had an inch or two in them, I should have poured the remains together?

Russellc

Stu
02-26-2007, 08:26
Russellc,

I'd have put them in 4 separate glasses and solicited aid from my wife in conducting a blind taste test. However, I once had occasion to mix two or three oz. each of BT, MM, VW, WT KS, VW, FR SB, and Bulleit into one bottle. The resulting blend was superb, which isn't surprising since all of the ingredients were top quality.

BourbonJoe
02-26-2007, 17:42
Russellc,

However, I once had occasion to mix two or three oz. each of BT, MM, VW, WT KS, VW, FR SB, and Bulleit into one bottle.

Vatman beware!!! :lol:
Joe :usflag:

Picker22
02-26-2007, 18:06
My Baker's bit the dust last week. Having a hard time bucking up for another bottle when I'm finding great bourbon's at lower prices.

TNbourbon
02-26-2007, 19:17
Frankly, I've not mentioned a lot of emptied bottles lately, as I've tried to pare down my number of open bottles. But, tonight, I discarded one I'll likely not see again -- an old, brown-label Wild Turkey 80 proof liter that turned out better than it ought to have. As a mixer -- mostly, with diet cola or diet ginger ale -- it was stellar, and that's how I spent most of the last half of the bottle.
While I won't rush out to do it, I may very well pick up another WT80 at some point for this very purpose. (Then again, I might not -- doesn't seem to be a bourbon shortage here:cool: .)

cowdery
02-27-2007, 00:48
Johnnie Walker Black Label.

Strangely, I had this bottle open for more than a year. The bottle of Old Fitz BIB that I bought last week? Half empty.

SBOmarc
02-27-2007, 18:42
Lot B <sniff>...<sniff> and a Glenfidditch 18.

cowdery
02-27-2007, 22:51
Old Commonwealth.

OscarV
02-28-2007, 13:51
Old Commonwealth.

Old Commonwealth?
No kidding? How long did it take to empty that bottle?
Tell us, how did it taste?

PM me if you got one you want to sell!!

cowdery
02-28-2007, 13:57
Definitely none to sell as I watch them dwindle down to a precious few.

It was good Stitzel-Weller whiskey. When I do open one it goes pretty quickly.

OscarV
02-28-2007, 14:03
But Chuck,.... think about it, I could adopt one, and when you are done with the others you can come over to my place and I would let you visit it!
Seriously I would, we could have a pour of anything off my shelf and you could look at that Old Commonwealth and know you let it go to a happy home. :cool:

Brennan77
02-28-2007, 17:32
Russell's Reserve 101 and soon to go home to heaven Hirsch 16.

darkluna
02-28-2007, 19:03
Polished off a bottle of 2006 WLW, and I need some support to help get over the loss. Man, that was tasty.

What is the best way to finish an unfiltered bottle with the char at the bottom? I kept letting it settle and tried to skim off the top.

Brennan77
02-28-2007, 19:09
Polished off a bottle of 2006 WLW, and I need some support to help get over the loss. Man, that was tasty.

What is the best way to finish an unfiltered bottle with the char at the bottom? I kept letting it settle and tried to skim off the top.

Just put it down the hatch and filter it with your teeth. You may want to have a toothpick handy. ;) Seriously, maybe a wine cork filter would be fine enough to catch the larger pieces? I was thinking a cheese cloth, but I'd hate to filter away too much goodness.

cowdery
03-01-2007, 00:17
Swallowing the char is like swallowing the worm, wholly good for you.

Virus_Of_Life
03-01-2007, 01:21

I generally give it a gentle tip upside down before uncorking and pouring. This ensures I get a little of the tasty char in every pour and never get stuck with a lot at the end.

darkluna
03-01-2007, 09:45
I generally give it a gentle tip upside down before uncorking and pouring. This ensures I get a little of the tasty char in every pour and never get stuck with a lot at the end.

I like this plan and will give it a shot on the next bottle....that is, if I can find a next bottle.

Here's the bottle in happier days - they leave all too quickly

RedVette
03-04-2007, 15:44
Just killed off a Sam Houston. I was able to find three here recently that still had the age statement on them, so I have some backups, but it still hurts to bury something that will be out of circulation soon.

gothbat
03-04-2007, 19:33
This weekend, at my friends party, I brought a bottle of Weller Centennial (Frankfort) and a bottle of Bakers. Both are gone now. I've never had Weller Centennial before and I hope the store by me gets more in as it was fantastic! From the second I popped the cork and took a whiff I was very impressed. It's definitely something I would always like to have on hand.

CrispyCritter
03-04-2007, 21:33
My Weller Antique 107 bottle went rather fast...

cowdery
03-06-2007, 02:54
Four Roses Small Batch Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Crafted from Four Select Bourbons.

Definitely will replace.

jspero
03-07-2007, 05:03
Japanese Four Roses SB (this past Sunday). I'm hoping to pick up another one on a trip to Tokyo in June.

Jay

CrispyCritter
03-10-2007, 20:26
My first BTAC '06 casualty: ER17.

Interestingly, the Stagg will be the longest-lasting bottle of my first BTAC '06 set. Its sheer intensity results in smaller pours.

Edward_call_me_Ed
03-11-2007, 09:12
I have one of these on the go at the moment. I like it well enough, but am not overly impressed. It took a big dip this week when I wanted alcohol delivery more than a pour to savor.

Ed

cowdery
03-12-2007, 17:28
At my dad's this weekend, we finished off a bottle of Weller Special Reserve, an Everett's single barrel selection. Dad told me he liked the previous bottle I gave him, EWSB 1994, better so I have restocked his cabinet with that.

But he also told me that what he really likes is Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye, of which I have an unopened bottle, and nothing's too good for dad.

SBOmarc
03-12-2007, 18:35
Weller 107, and WTRB. They will be missed, they both served me well.

CrispyCritter
03-12-2007, 21:04
'06 Saz 18 is done for - one unopened bottle left in reserve.

Among my first set of '06 BTAC, the Handy and the Larue are both very low. I'm not yet sure which one I'll drain first. The Stagg is still about 40% full - aside from its intensity, there's also an open Fall '05 bottle which has helped keep the '06 one from evaporating too quickly.

gothbat
03-16-2007, 21:59
As I type this the last bit of my '06 GTS is making it's way through a coffee filter. I saved a tiny bit of '05 and it will likely meet the same end later this evening.
Do most people filter or not filter out the char? I know GTS was made in response to requests for an uncut and unfiltered bourbon and that char would be a natural occurrence in some bottles but on the other hand I find it overpowers the taste of the bourbon itself. It's not bad but I prefer to not have it. I guess to some it would be like the sour sugar at the bottom of a bag of Sour Patch Kids.

TNbourbon
03-17-2007, 06:32
As I type this the last bit of my '06 GTS is making it's way through a coffee filter. I saved a tiny bit of '05 and it will likely meet the same end later this evening.
Do most people filter or not filter out the char? I know GTS was made in response to requests for an uncut and unfiltered bourbon and that char would be a natural occurrence in some bottles but on the other hand I find it overpowers the taste of the bourbon itself. It's not bad but I prefer to not have it. I guess to some it would be like the sour sugar at the bottom of a bag of Sour Patch Kids.

While I don't want a glassful of it, I don't mind a few particles. Thus, if it's the last pour of a bottle, I simply pour with the bottle almost horizontal -- as you would decant a wine with sediment -- and stop pouring when the char seems to about equal the whiskey moving with it. (Then I mix the rest with diet Coke, which hides the char really well:grin: And, it doesn't take much Stagg to flavor a dab of cola.).

Joeluka
03-17-2007, 07:29

I slam it like a worm at the end of a bottle of Mezcal :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

CrispyCritter
03-17-2007, 18:11
I kind of like the last "charcoal-grilled" pours - but I tend to swirl the bottle before pouring once it gets about half full.

JeffRenner
03-21-2007, 08:51
At my dad's this weekend, we finished off a bottle of Weller Special Reserve

Chuck, you are a lucky man to be able to share bourbon (and rye) with your dad. I'm sure you know that.

I rediscovered bourbon about ten years ago, four years after my dad died. He wasn't a big drinker, but he liked a bourbon highball, and my mother says that he enjoyed manhattans as a younger man. It would have been nice to have shared a few, and maybe to have introduced him to unmixed bourbon.

But at least I do have the privilege and pleasure of sharing these with my own son (and son-in-law). Sadly, they both live 2000 miles away.

Jeff

Edward_call_me_Ed
03-21-2007, 09:06
Oh, I like the char at the end of a bottle of BTAC. I make sure to pour carefully at the end of the bottle so that there are lots of particles in the last pour.

Ed

cowdery
03-21-2007, 14:03
Right you are, Jeff. Dad is 87, in very good health, and I very much recognize how lucky I am to have had so much time with him.

Special Reserve
03-21-2007, 15:10
Right you are, Jeff. Dad is 87, in very good health, and I very much recognize how lucky I am to have had so much time with him.

I got a lot of octogenarian wisdom from my dad. I really enjoyed that time with him and I look back to that time (and other times) with great fondness.

CrispyCritter
03-22-2007, 22:33
Well, my Binny's single-barrel BT didn't survive tonight. Surprise, surprise. :drink:

gothbat
03-31-2007, 12:43
I had my last pour of 2004 GTS last night, I think I enjoyed it more than any other pour I’ve had from this bottle. While I was sipping it I made an attempt at notes:
Hints of vanilla, honey, and maple syrup in the nose. The most noticeable thing about the taste is the vanilla. It may just be the alcohol but there is also a bit of spice in the “background” as well, there’s something else familiar here too but I cannot quite put my finger on it. Light char in the finish despite the total absence of it in the bottle. Although it doesn’t have the same complexity of the other GTS’s I’ve had, with those I almost always find myself noting something to the effect of “Wow, there’s a lot going on here!” but this one was a fine pour all the same. Who knows if I will ever acquire another one.

I also finished the last of my EC18, another bottle that just had 1 last pour in it.

angelshare
03-31-2007, 19:12
The empty bottle is still a little ways off, but we have about 2/3 of a 1.75 of the 8 yo Fighting Cock left. We can't drink it! We just have a hard time believing we'll ever find any more. We're more likely to pour Stagg of any year than this. Not that FC is better (though we've never done a head-to-head), but no one at HH is looking to continue that flavor profile. Once it's gone, it's gone.

We're paralyzed by the thought of an empty bottle!

cowdery
03-31-2007, 23:40
The empty bottle is still a little ways off, but we have about 2/3 of a 1.75 of the 8 yo Fighting Cock left. We can't drink it! We just have a hard time believing we'll ever find any more. We're more likely to pour Stagg of any year than this. Not that FC is better (though we've never done a head-to-head), but no one at HH is looking to continue that flavor profile. Once it's gone, it's gone.

We understand, guys, and we feel your pain.

T47
04-07-2007, 21:53
Thomas H Handy has hit the recycle bin. I have enjoyed this bottle to the sad end.
As I journal the end of this one, it had so much more than just wonderful flavor. I recall sitting on the computer at work and doing a quick check of the SB.com site and discovering a message from a generous and thoughtful SB'r that she had a "few" bottles of this available and would I be interested?
Myself and 2 of my work friends were the lucky beneficiaries. This site has so much more than great information...A melting pot of great people from so many places. I digress; such is the result of quality last pours. There was just enough in the bottle to debate one big one or 2 little ones. I choose the one big one, fitting of the many nice memories this bottle has brought.
I love hot spicy food. Maybe that’s why I lean to these high proof bottles? The nose reminds me of one of those clove stuffed oranges. The Taste is oily, full of cinnamon. The finish has a slight and pleasant burn; it does not let me forget for a long while that it has passed.

tango-papa
04-07-2007, 23:51

Your post inspired me to grab the only bottle of Fighting Cock 8 year I've ever seen. Purchased the somewhat dusty (750ml) bottle yesterday for $16.

Oh yeah, and my bottle of regular old WT 101 is a pour or two from the end.

~tp

jburlowski
04-08-2007, 13:11
Finished off a bottle of GTS "Hazmat"... always sad to see one of the irreplaceable Staggs go by.

SBOmarc
04-09-2007, 11:19
Saz Jr. hit the pile last night. It will be missed. I did however finally find the Rittenhouse BIB. I look forward to the first taste.

Edward_call_me_Ed
04-10-2007, 18:49
I didn't empty a bottle last night, but I did, finally, throw away all the empty Blanton bottles I had. There were nine of them, Gold, Silver, Regular and Straight from the barrel. I kept the horsies though. Interestingly, the corks had dried out in the empty bottles.

Ed

CrispyCritter
04-10-2007, 20:07
A bottle of ETL went empty last night... it sure was good, though!