PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon again?

Moses
10-25-2006, 12:23
Okay I'm new and I sad to say I do not drink bourbon (long time ago when I was young I drank too much of JD black lable and I prayed to the toliet gods all night long). I do like to collect bourbon stuff but I would like to try and drink bourbon again . On the rocks or straight. My husband would like to try some also but we have no idea what to buy or where to start. Any idea :kiss: please? I would still like to stay away from JD, JB and MM (they are some others but do not want to list them all)

BourbonJoe
10-25-2006, 12:30
I would probably recommend one of the fine products from Buffalo Trace, such as Buffalo Trace itself or perhaps Elmer T. Lee. Weller Antique might also be a good choice.
Good Luck,
Joe :usflag:

Virginia Gent
10-25-2006, 13:38
Okay I'm new and I sad to say I do not drink bourbon (long time ago when I was young I drank too much of JD black lable and I prayed to the toliet gods all night long). I do like to collect bourbon stuff but I would like to try and drink bourbon again . On the rocks or straight. My husband would like to try some also but we have no idea what to buy or where to start. Any idea :kiss: please? I would still like to stay away from JD, JB and MM (they are some others but do not want to list them all)

Welcome! I'm a newcomer here also. I have done my share of worshipping the Porcelain Princess thanks to JB white, among other things. Never could stand Jack Black enough to get drunk on it - although Gentleman Jack ain't too shabby!

I second the suggestion for Elmer T Lee. Either neat, or with a wee few drops of water. Even if it doesn't tickle your fancy the first night you try it, give it a couple more tries. The third time I had it was like, wow! Smoothe, sweet, warm.

I also like the one that a friend turned me on to, which led me into the world of good bourbon, Eagle Rare Single Barrel. Snappier, a little more complex, but v e r y well balanced

FlashPuppy
10-25-2006, 14:08
Welcome to the board!!

Too many choices. You really need to try a few different things, and get some preferences. Not to say ETL is bad (it is GREAT IMO), but if you don't like something sweet, it may not be good for you.

I would recommed getting a few different bottles, and seeing what works and what doesn't. My recommendation:

Wild Turkey 101
Elmer T. Lee
Elijah Craig 12 or an Evan Williams Single Barrel
Jim Beam Black (much different than the white) or a bottle of Knob Creek

I think after you try some of these it will be easier for us to make a recommendation.

jburlowski
10-25-2006, 15:04
I would probably recommend one of the fine products from Buffalo Trace, such as Buffalo Trace itself or perhaps Elmer T. Lee. Weller Antique might also be a good choice.
Good Luck,
Joe :usflag:

I'd second these choices. Welcome and enjoy!

barturtle
10-25-2006, 17:26
I'm a bit surprized no one has recommended Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 90.

I think this makes a good reentry point.

FlashPuppy
10-25-2006, 18:12
I'm a bit surprized no one has recommended Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 90.

I think this makes a good reentry point.

Timothy -

I will go ahead and disagree with you here. Simply put, I think that is an absoulutely terrific bourbon, but not for a beginner. I really think that it is better to figure out what your palate likes, and wait until there is more tasting ability developed. That is just my (very) humble opinion.

TimmyBoston
10-25-2006, 22:55
Buffalo Trace, it the best starter bourbon, IMO. It's very good, inexpensive and nothing incredibly complex. Just straight, simple and good. A wonderful spirit and a great example of what good bourbon should be.
Buffalo Trace runs around $16 or so in your local liquor store.

After that I would recommend a Van Winkle, specifically The Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B, referred to on this board simply as Lot B. Unfortunately this one's cost varies widely from area to area, from about $32 to $55, but it's an excellent bourbon, one of my all time favorites.

Also some less expensive ones that are also very nice,
W.L. Weller 12 year old - Under $20
Evan William 1783 - Very nice, but rye heavy $10
Old Forrester 100 proof, a little stronger, but still smooth - $12

I'd also look for something from the Wild Turkey line, Wild Turkey 101, WT Russell's Reserve, or WT Rare Breed, great bourbons.

TimmyBoston
10-25-2006, 22:57
Another thing, many years ago I had a similar situation with Jack Daniels as well. It took me years to drink whiskey again, but I doubt you'd have many people advocate your drinking of JD period, let alone to excess. I think you'll find once you get into real, fine bourbon, you'll develop a true appreciate and realize how it's miles away from Jack Daniels.

Moses
10-26-2006, 04:47
Thank-you for all the input. I will try some of these choices maybe this weekend but I want it to be a little bit colder out side for some strange reason. I can drink SoCo on ice with a back up of water and that really the only hard stuff I can drink straight. I'm really a dark beer, red wine person. Husband Coors Light guy.

My picks will be:

Buffalo Trace
Elmer T Lee

One silly question-crushed ice or not?

HighTower
10-26-2006, 05:02
PErsonally I have found crushed ice in straight bourbon melts too quick. Big cubes or no cubes at all for me!

Vange
10-26-2006, 06:42
Moses, is there a price range you are shooting for?
All the above suggestions are all good, but if your budget is a bit higher jump maybe jump into a nice PVW20.

Moses
10-26-2006, 08:50
Moses, is there a price range you are shooting for?
All the above suggestions are all good, but if your budget is a bit higher jump maybe jump into a nice PVW20.

I'm not rich at all but I do tend to always look at the $20 and up. Reason why? I worked in a wine liquor store while I was in school. I might start cheap like I did with beer/wine and work my way up.

This is going to be FUN:drinking:

Vange
10-26-2006, 08:51
Just some reference points then:

ETL $25
Any of the BTAC $50
PVW20 $70-$90

Randy_Ricchi
10-27-2006, 19:22
No crushed ice. No ice a-tall. Sip it neat, in a sturdy, heavy bottomed, straight sided tumbler. Small sips, and let them roll around your mouth and tongue. Don't forget to stick your nose in the glass first and enjoy the aroma.

Moses
10-30-2006, 04:26
So I tried BT this weekend and it was really good. I tried to drink it had a wonderful flavor but my nose seemed to cringe each time I took a sip. Note: before I went to college my sister gave me a beer every Saturday morning. I had to say “beer is good” take a sip “beer is so good”. My nose cringed also during this process. My sister also told me I could not drink wine coolers in college b/c it wasn’t cool. Okay then I made a drink with 7up and BT and it was a little bit better my nose only cringed about 2 times.

I did try and going to try again another night or weekend.

Edward_call_me_Ed
10-30-2006, 13:01
My picks will be:

Buffalo Trace
Elmer T Lee

One silly question-crushed ice or not?

Drink it how you like it. That is the SB.com way.

Most of us, I think, drink our bourbon neat. Or with very little spring water. Some use one cube, others two or more. One think I would advise you on the matter of ice, no matter what type, don't put more ice in than you want water. And remember that there will be less and less whiskey in the glass as you sip, meaning that your drink will be pretty diluted by the time you get to the end. Not good, I think. It may be that a small amouunt of crushed ice that will melt quickly towards the beginning of the drink might be ideal.

One problem with using ice is that it makes whiskey easier to drink, which is, of course, the reason you put ice in it. It then becomes easy to drink too much. That is why many people end up unable to drink it. Drink Bourbon like wine and you will be visiting the porceline shrine. Bourbon should be sipped, over time, my first drink of the evening may take an hour to finish. Later in the evening it may take either longer or shorter to finish a pour, depending on what I am doing.

Ed

photogjunkie
10-31-2006, 13:07
Drink it how you like it. That is the SB.com way.

Drink Bourbon like wine and you will be visiting the porceline shrine. Bourbon should be sipped, over time, my first drink of the evening may take an hour to finish. Later in the evening it may take either longer or shorter to finish a pour, depending on what I am doing.

Ed

Maybe there is something wrong with me...my first three pours of the night take less than an hour, and my head never hits the porceline shrine.

barturtle
10-31-2006, 13:21
Maybe there is something wrong with me...my first three pours of the night take less than an hour, and my head never hits the porceline shrine.

I think he was refering to the fact that most people could drink half a bottle of wine (2-3 glasses) in an evening without getting sick. Drink half a bottle of bourbon and most of those people will be.:puke:

I have had pours of whiskey take as little time as it takes to do a shot (measured in milliseconds) to over an hour. All depends on mood, atmosphere and the whiskey itself.:drink:

mythrenegade
10-31-2006, 19:16
IMHO, crushed ice dilutes the bourbon far too much. I have only had crushed ice once, and it was with a pour of Bookers in a bar. It made a barrell proof bourbon taste positively normal, not what I was looking for. I do like my bourbon with two or three cubes, so I'm an ice man, but I do sip it quicker than Ed. On the other hand, I still only do one or two pours in a night, and I don't drink bourbon every day. My wine cellar wouldn't approve if I left red wine entirely for bourbon :-)

joel

Moses
11-01-2006, 05:42
My buddy protecting my first bourbon bottle

scratchline
11-01-2006, 07:12
A fine choice of bourbon and an excellent choice of dog. There are a LOT of Buffalo Trace fans on this board and several pit bull terrier fans as well. Hope you and your buddy enjoy it.

-Mike

(That's not a Dogo, is it?)

Moses
11-01-2006, 08:06
(That's not a Dogo, is it?)

No she's not but I do want one. My husband wants another APBT. I learned about Dogo's about 3 years ago and ever since then I have wanted one. But I will have to wait to get one. Sometimes I tell people she's a Dogo, Amercian Bull dog, Boxer or just whatever. She can is like a camo dog of different breeds

bluesbassdad
11-01-2006, 13:54
A fine looking pibble, that one!

I see in a later post that you are planning to add another dog. Have you had experience with more than one bull in a household? If not, you may benefit from visiting the Pit Bull Rescue Central website (http://www.pbrc.net/rotate.html).

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

scratchline
11-01-2006, 14:22
Hey, Dave. Great to see your pack looking so fine.

I'll second that PBRC recommendation. And add this one:

http://www.pitbullforum.com/

Posters aren't always as easy going as their bourbon sipping brethren, but there's a lot of good info to be had there.

-Mike

Just took a closer look at that link you provided, Dave. It's the best I've ever seen on the topic. Thanks.

Moses
11-02-2006, 12:35
A fine looking pibble, that one!

I see in a later post that you are planning to add another dog. Have you had experience with more than one bull in a household? If not, you may benefit from visiting the Pit Bull Rescue Central website (http://www.pbrc.net/rotate.html).

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

This is where my husband and I bump heads. BIG TIME!! I want to go to a rescue place and he wants to BUY one.