PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here

bsdman
10-26-2006, 15:58
I'm looking to become a better educated 'bourbonier' and I'm very happy I came across this board. Looking forward to discovering all that's out there about bourbon. Thank you!

I'm not very experieced, as I've indulged in only about 5 different bourbons, and am dying to buy a new bottle. I'm currently working on Makers, Woodford Reserve, and Knob Creek. Love the Knob Creek - every sip is a little different. Woodford is super smooth and buttery, but not the direction I like.

Anyone have any ideas as to my next purchase if I am into the Knob Creek direction? Smokey, nutty, 100 proof etc...

bobbyc
10-26-2006, 18:35
Welcome here. Bookers or Bakers if you want to stay with Jim Beam. Wild Turkey for Smokey high proof.

TimmyBoston
10-26-2006, 23:02
If you like your Maker's, you want to try to find a bottle of Van Winkle, my recommendation goes towards Van Winkle, Special Reserve 12 year old, Lot B. It's a fantastic bourbon, one of the best, IMO. I link them together, because they are both wheaters, meaning that they are made from corn, malted barley and wheat. (Many others are corn, barley and Rye.)

bsdman
10-27-2006, 14:06
My warmest thanks. I don't buy bottles very often, so I will have to make my next one count. My wife gives me a curious and ever-so-slightly disapproving look every time I break out the drinking glass, so I have to choose my tasting moments as well.

I am widdling it down to several so far from what I've read...

Bookers
Eagle Rare Single Barrell
WL Weller Centennial
Wild Turkey (101 or Kentucky Spirit)
Van Winkle 12 Reserve

This may take a while. I'll let you noww how it goes. Thanks again!

OscarV
10-27-2006, 14:36
[QUOTE]

Hey Guys,... I think we have another convert here.
How shall we we drag him over to the Dark Side?

FlashPuppy
10-27-2006, 15:05
My warmest thanks. I don't buy bottles very often, so I will have to make my next one count. My wife gives me a curious and ever-so-slightly disapproving look every time I break out the drinking glass, so I have to choose my tasting moments as well.

Easy fix here. Get yourself a good drinking buddy who's wife also dissaproves. Put them together, while you and your buddy sneek away for a few drinks in another part of the house. Blamo!! Problem solved!! :grin:

Nebraska
10-27-2006, 16:07
If it were my last bottle, before my wife made me walk the plank and I had not experienced many bourbons, I would definitely buy the Weller Centennial, mind you, that's picking from the list you provided. The Van Winkle is very good, but it's questionable that you are going to start out liking it. The Centennial is much more newbie friendly in my eyes.

mythrenegade
10-27-2006, 18:26
Bookers
Eagle Rare Single Barrell
WL Weller Centennial
Wild Turkey (101 or Kentucky Spirit)
Van Winkle 12 Reserve

I would go with the Eagle Rare 10yo from this list.

Joel

Nebraska
10-27-2006, 19:08
i got one-upped! Joel is right. Of course so am I. The ER 10 yo is a great choice too, very newbie friendly...but if I wasn't going to be able to buy one for a while...? Alright price wise I'd go with the ER 10, Centennial still would get my vote for last one before I walked the plank.