PDA

View Full Version : Just a little question...

bluelady
11-14-2006, 05:42
Hi there ^_^

Well im very new to drinking in general (Just turned 18 lol) but ive found i quite like my bourbon. I love my Jim Beam Black (probably a family thing, cause everyone drinks it xD plus a couple o'friends) and i dont really have the money to afford more 'premium' brands (id only be inclined to drink them if someone bought them for me).

But anyways, my question is how is Jim Beam green and yellow label different from the white and the black label?

CrispyCritter
11-14-2006, 06:51
Green label: aged five years (rather than four for the white).
Yellow label: rye whiskey, aged four years.

HighTower
11-14-2006, 13:56
Welcome aboard bluelady!:grin:

I personally find the Green label to be easier drinking than the Black, even though it hasn't been aged as long. And you can normally pick it up for about $35 if you look hard enough...sometimes cheaper.
Even though it's only 37% in Australia (opposed to 40% in the US), it is still a pretty good pour.
Another bourbon I would reccomend to you along those lines is Cougar XS (Xtra Strength), which you can often pick up on special for about $30. Very good value in my opinion!

Where in Australia are you??

Scott

bluelady
11-14-2006, 18:11
intresting...so the green label is just aged longer than the white, but i dont really understand whats happening with the yellow label lol ^_^;; im new to these terms...

and i live in the brisbane area :D

FlashPuppy
11-14-2006, 18:43
...but i dont really understand whats happening with the yellow label lol ^_^;; im new to these terms...

I just spent like five minutes typing getting ready to blast you for posting that you are underage. Then I took another look, my bad... :grin:

The yellow label is a rye based whiskey. Bourbon whiskey is composed of (normally) three grains: corn, rye and malted barley or wheat. The balance (to be legally called bourbon) is at least 51% corn, with the remainder being the other grains. Rye whiskey simply changes the mashbill a little: at least 51% rye, corn and malted barley making up the remainder. Generally, the higher the rye content, the "spicier" the whiskey is.

Hope that helps some!!

camduncan
11-14-2006, 21:17
Welcome Bluelady.....It's always good to see another (Brisbane) Aussie on the site :cool:

I can highly recomend the Rye - it's probably my favourite Beam product after Bookers (Bookers is their super premium and very expensive top shelf bourbon)

If you're paying around $40 a bottle for black label, there are plenty of different bourbons on our market at or around that price...it pays to experiment.
I also highly recommend Nelson County - it's readily available at most BWS stores for around $25 and is exceptional value. It's produced by Heaven Hill Distilleries.

cowdery
11-14-2006, 21:44
I just spent like five minutes typing getting ready to blast you for posting that you are underage. Then I took another look, my bad... :grin:

I know this site posts a "legal age" requirement just to be safe (and your point, Flash, is that she's legal there) but we don't promote drinking here. We promote knowledge and there should never be a "legal age" for knowledge.

bluelady
11-14-2006, 23:32
yep...i live in Australia where the legal limit is nice and low :D

thankyou for your help guys ^_^ i think i now understand :D

at the moment i dont really have the money to be experimenting though (my older friend buys the Black label for me, i only really have enough money to buy bottles under $15...so small really...)

HighTower
11-15-2006, 01:13
Another couple of great bourbons for the price in Oz bluelady....
Elijah Craig 12yo and Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage. Both are around the price of Black Label Beam, and you can find them at your local friendly Liquorland store...(shameless plug that one):lol:

Scott

FlashPuppy
11-15-2006, 17:27
We promote knowledge and there should never be a "legal age" for knowledge.

Chuck-

You will not find a soul on this board who believes this more than I do. It is just that I understand how much personal resources people have in this place, and I wouldn't want some stupid infraction to put a hold on anything.

In short: I agree.

camduncan
11-15-2006, 18:05
Another couple of great bourbons for the price in Oz bluelady....
Elijah Craig 12yo and Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage. Both are around the price of Black Label Beam, and you can find them at your local friendly Liquorland store...(shameless plug that one):lol:

Scott

Such a shameless plug :D :D :D
Then again Scott, if you hadn't have said it, I probably would have ;)

HighTower
11-16-2006, 05:57
By the way....Evan Williams Single Barrel is on special for $39.99 until Sunday :grin: and Evan williams Black label is 2 for $50 starting Monday (I'm so full of information:lol: )

Scott

Cam...where abouts in Brissy are you?

camduncan
11-16-2006, 17:31
By the way....Evan Williams Single Barrel is on special for $39.99 until Sunday :grin: and Evan williams Black label is 2 for $50 starting Monday (I'm so full of information:lol: )

Scott

Cam...where abouts in Brissy are you?

That's good news - I need another bottle of 95 EWSB to round out my 'bunker' supply. (I'm collecting two bottles of each vintage so that one day, in years to come, I can sit down with several vintages and compare ;))
I don't really drink the Black Label - I actually prefer to buy Nelson County (from Heaven Hill)

Scott, I'm on the South East side at Coorparoo - about 5km from the City...

leigh_munro
11-28-2006, 03:38
Elijah Craig 12yo and Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage @ your local friendly Liquorland store...:lol:

Scott

I have to agree with Hightower, go straight to your nearest Liquorland and purchase a bottle of the EWSB. You won't ever want to go back to the jim beam...

leigh.

bluelady
11-30-2006, 04:50
i dont have that type of money unfortunetly ^_^;;

HighTower
11-30-2006, 05:02
you can pick it up cheaper than Jim Beam Black most of the time....

Scott