PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon and cola

mrt
11-17-2006, 13:37
Bourbon and cola...I know it's not a connoisseur's choice, but I find it rather delicious. I drank JD and cola on the rocks tonight, and it was really very good...I wanted to drink again and again :yum: (but did not do so:))

What do you think?

jeff
11-17-2006, 14:35
Bourbon and coke for years had me believing I didn't like bourbon. Turns out I just didn't like it with coke.

camduncan
11-17-2006, 14:44
It was my staple bourbon diet for about 15 years....
Then my tastes matured and I pushed myself into drinking it neat / with water / over ice.
I still go back to Ready to Drink bourbon and coke for convenience at parties etc, but now my concern is more about the calories contained in the coke (I must be getting older :bigeyes: )

OscarV
11-17-2006, 14:47
Bourbon and coke for years had me believing I didn't like bourbon. Turns out I just didn't like it with coke.

The exact same thing happened with me, I thought bourbon and coke was the only way to drink bourbon, so I came to the conclusion, early on, that I did not like bourbon.

Off subject now,........
In the late80's/early90's a friend turned me on to Maker's Mark, and I would then buy a bottle shortly before every Christmas and mix it with egg nog.
I gradually converted to MM with crushed ice, and finally neat.
I think MM nose is what hooked me on bourbon.

OscarV
11-17-2006, 14:49
but now my concern is more about the calories contained in the coke (I must be getting older :bigeyes: )

Have a "Slim Jim".
That is Jim Beam and Diet Coke.

brian12069
11-17-2006, 16:26
Bourbon and cola...I know it's not a connoisseur's choice, but I find it rather delicious. I drank JD and cola on the rocks tonight, and it was really very good...I wanted to drink again and again :yum: (but did not do so:))

What do you think?
It depends on what kind of mood I'm in...Right now I am having the same as you, Jack and Coke. I'm having it now because I have a pizza and wings on the way! Goes great with Jack and Coke.

ratcheer
11-17-2006, 19:49
It is way too sweet, for me. I don't like it.

Tim

DrinkyBanjo
11-18-2006, 10:05
Must admit I've never tried it, most likely never will.

Ambernecter
11-18-2006, 11:29
I only ever drink this when I'm on a night out to get hammered! It reminds me of cough sweets? I drink my Bourbon straight 99% of the time.

Oh and indoors I have not ever added anything but a drop or two of water to my whiskey - and I last did that when Moses was a boy come to think of it.

Gimme it straight or not at all!

Pappy's Friend
11-18-2006, 16:19
Gimme it straight or not at all!

I'm with Ambernecter!!

T47
11-18-2006, 17:37
Myself, I enjoy it all neat. Have I become a Bourbon snob:bigeyes:

I used to think anyone was welcome to try any of my bottles...I must admit that has changed...your welcome to try any of my bottles if you want to try it the way I want you to try it...and that's neat, maybe with an ice cube or two if you must.

I guess my problem is that some of these bottles were hard for me to get, either because of price or location, and I am just not convinced that a Bourbon and coke with PVW 20 is "that" much better than a Bourbon and coke with WT 101. Does starting with a better product still make a better drink when mixed with such a competitive flavor?

I have no problem if someone wants to mix Coke, or 7-UP with some of my bottles, just not all of them.

:toast:

ratcheer
11-18-2006, 19:49
I agree 100%, Todd. Up to about $20 or 25 per bottle, people are welcome to mix if they must. But, if they want the expensive stuff, they better want to taste the bourbon.

Tim

robbyvirus
11-18-2006, 22:34
Believe it or not, I used to drink gin and coke when I was younger. Much younger. It was really not that bad, and I enjoyed freaking out bartenders by asking for it. But bourbon and coke...Never!!

Whiskey Willie
11-20-2006, 11:53
Bourbon and cola...uh, hold the cola. I'm not a fan of soft drinks invading my booze, just too sweet.

Gillman
11-20-2006, 12:28
I drink one of these about once per year but I may increase that.

It is good I find with a meal where you won't have something sweet after. Recently it accompanied Domino's new Brooklyn-style pizza and the two went very well. (That reminds me to report on my recent encounter with Cincinnati chili).

You can splash in just a few ounces of cola and with lots of ice I find the drink is only moderately sweet.

Recently I made one with Weller 107 and it was very good, not only that, the distinctive Weller taste came through.

I've tried this with diet pop and it doesn't work, the real thing is better. Sometimes I mix regular and diet Coke 50/50, I figured I'd try that, I've heard about this guy who blends everything. Actually it's very good. :)

Gary

TNbourbon
11-20-2006, 15:14
Lately, I've been on a 'mix-it-with-something' kick. I don't know why, I've just not wanted to think about the bourbon every time I pour it. A (rarely Coca-)cola-and-bourbon is enjoyable while settled in reading, for example.
I almost exclusively use diet cola, and will pour any bourbon that strikes my fancy at the time -- I've even used Stagg, and mixed one with ER17 ('05) last night -- though it's a good way to get rid of seldom-poured/not-well-liked bottles, too.
Ginger ale, I've found, goes pretty well with Scotch, either blended or single malt.

brian12069
11-20-2006, 16:04
I never mix Cola with anything except Jack Daniel's or a "cheaper" bourbon. I have never mixed it with Weller or anything like that. To be honest, that would just feel wrong.

Gillman
11-20-2006, 17:24
Just curious on your reasoning on that.

Would it be that better liquor can't be detected in a mixed drink? (I am not disagreeing, just wondering why you feel that way).

Gary

brian12069
11-20-2006, 18:00
Just curious on your reasoning on that.

Would it be that better liquor can't be detected in a mixed drink? (I am not disagreeing, just wondering why you feel that way).

Gary

To me, bourbon is meant do be drank neat. I can't see wasting Old Rip Van Winkle 107 in a glass of Coke! But, depending on what kind of mood I'm in or if I'm eating, I may pour some Jack Daniel's or maybe Fighting Cock, or Evan Williams in with some Coke and Ice. I don't do it all the time.

TNbourbon
11-20-2006, 18:50
Well, there you go. What do I know?!:skep::lol:

barturtle
11-20-2006, 19:01
Better ingredients, better...oh hold on thats pizza! What was I thinking?

While I'm probably not gonna start pouring my RR101 in coke, the different flavors or different bottlings will make a difference in the cocktail(can we call it that?), the (likely) higher proof of a premium pour will be less dilute in the finished drink than your average 80 proofer and the additional aging will give more of the vanilla and oak flavors to the profile.

I basically stopped drinking softdrinks a few years back, and had given up mixing bourbon with it damn near a decade ago. About a month ago someone had left a coke here and I thought I'd revisit the cocktail of my youth-just nasty, how did I manage to drink that back then....

Gillman
11-20-2006, 19:35
I agree that good bourbon should be drunk neat and would be lost in a cocktail. It is not that it wouldn't go well there, but there is a law of diminishing returns...

I find lesser liquors do go well in mixed drinks and so do complex blends of good and lesser liquors - which is really what cocktails are all about.

Gary

CrispyCritter
11-20-2006, 20:06
For me it depends on the cocktail. I don't mix bourbon and Coke - but a Manhattan, Red Hook, Sazerac, or such can be quite a refreshing drink.

Normally I go with quality mid-shelf bottles. Even so, a Sazerac Cocktail made with 18yo Sazerac Rye or VWFRR is an experience in itself. If you mix a Manhattan with Stagg, you can definitely taste the difference (not to mention get snockered in a hurry, since mixing it takes away the burn that says "Slow Down").

I'm of the school that you should taste the booze in the cocktail.

jsgorman
11-25-2006, 22:39
If I mix bourbon, its typically with ginger ale. To be specific, I'm not a big Makers Mark fan, but do enjoy it iced with ginger.

smokinjoe
11-27-2006, 11:45
I don't drink bourbon with Coke. But, a few times when I've had maybe a very small bit of bourbon left in my glass (by very small, I mean 1/4 oz), done drinking for the evening, and not wanting to waste; I'll drop an equal amount or so of Coke in (if it's open and within arms reach), swirl it around and finish it off in one swig. I don't find this concoction unenjoyable (actually it can be soothing when the pipes are burning), but not something I would like in larger quantities or more frequently.

JOE

ILLfarmboy
11-27-2006, 20:43
Bourbon and cola? No. But JD and Coke? yes. It's what I most often drink when in a bar. Jack can be found anywhere; even out here out in the sticks.
Though I rarely drink it at home.

shaggy
11-29-2006, 10:22
I am an avid bourbon and coke drinker. I really enjoy the flavor. I only mix with Coca-Cola (No diets or Pepsi - YUCK). I typically use less expensive bourbons to mix with. For example my favorite cheap mixer right now is W.L. Weller Special Reserve 7YO. I get 1.75 L for $19.99. I usually have a bourbon and coke when I come home from work. I will mix up a tall one and snack on some chips and dip, etc before dinner. I usually wait until after dinner to drink the more expensive bourbons neat. I guess I sort of consider that dessert.

brian12069
11-29-2006, 17:54
I am an avid bourbon and coke drinker. I really enjoy the flavor. I only mix with Coca-Cola (No diets or Pepsi - YUCK). I typically use less expensive bourbons to mix with. For example my favorite cheap mixer right now is W.L. Weller Special Reserve 7YO. I get 1.75 L for $19.99. I usually have a bourbon and coke when I come home from work. I will mix up a tall one and snack on some chips and dip, etc before dinner. I usually wait until after dinner to drink the more expensive bourbons neat. I guess I sort of consider that dessert.

I love this post, I laughed out loud! Bourbon, Coke, Chips, Dip BEFORE dinner! Then, the expensive bourbon for dessert. Excellent!

Edward_call_me_Ed
11-29-2006, 20:37
I voted 'Like it' thought I only very rarely drink it. Sometimes I is just the thing. I don't have any particular problem with mixing a top shelf bourbon. Just so long as the results are good. I not sure that a top shelf bourbon would make a good Bourbon and Coke, though. I have tried Booker's and Coke and didn't care for it. In fact, I tried it several times at several strengths. It just didn't do it for me.

I really haven't experimented with many bourbons in this drink. It isn't some thing I crave very often. So far, my favorite bourbon for this drink is I.W. Harper. Very nice on a hot summer day! I won't be seeing one of Those for a while!

Ed

tachyonshuggy
11-30-2006, 08:50
FWIW I prefer Tennessee (sp?) whiskeys w/ cola. Any bourbon I buy is too precious to mix w/ coke :)

cowdery
11-30-2006, 20:34
I was explaining to some people this week that, in the South, when people make a Jack and Coke it's usually about 4 parts Jack to 1 part Coke. Try it that way and you'll see it's a completely different drink. I call it the Redneck Manhattan.

ILLfarmboy
11-30-2006, 23:01
I was explaining to some people this week that, in the South, when people make a Jack and Coke it's usually about 4 parts Jack to 1 part Coke. Try it that way and you'll see it's a completely different drink. I call it the Redneck Manhattan.

That's a pretty stiff mixture. I usualy prefer a 40\60 to 50\50 mix. About what you would get if you asked for a double JD and Coke "short one" and tiped the bartender well.

I might have to try the "redneck Manhattan". I have a bottle of JD single barrel here at home.

ThomasH
11-30-2006, 23:02
I used to mix bourbon and coke until the doc told me that the kidney stones I was getting was due to drinking too much dark pop. 8 stones in 12 years is enough of a deterrent for me. Now it is strictly a mix of ginger ale and bourbon!

Thomas

cas
12-01-2006, 09:58
I like it - occaisionally. A slice of lime is nice too. But I can't drink too much soda of any kind.
Craig

Edward_call_me_Ed
12-04-2006, 02:52

Some how I missed your post. I tend to go for something around beer strength when mixing a bourbon and coke. I will definately try a Redneck Manhattan one of these days.

Ed

TimmyBoston
12-05-2006, 00:22

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

TimmyBoston
12-05-2006, 00:24
Occasionally, I will have one at a bar. It's not a bad little drink, but they are by no means my favorite. I haven't poured one at home, in I can't remember how long.

mrt
12-09-2006, 13:37

What I thought would be fine, actually. I mixed JD with cook and it was a %50-50 mix. I'll try the "redneck manhattan". It sounds promising :)

brian12069
12-09-2006, 18:47
What I thought would be fine, actually. I mixed JD with cook and it was a %50-50 mix. I'll try the "redneck manhattan". It sounds promising :)

I don't know if I would mix it with a "cook"...lol....if you have too many, you may end up being a cook!

shaggy
12-13-2006, 08:40
I tend to mix my Redneck Manhattan's about 60/40 on the bourbon to coke ratio. If it has been a hard day I'll go 80/20...

FlashPuppy
12-13-2006, 19:11
I tend to mix my Redneck Manhattan's about 60/40 on the bourbon to coke ratio. If it has been a hard day I'll go 80/20...

Man, I normally just go 100/0. :grin:

OscarV
12-14-2006, 14:20
Man, I normally just go 100/0. :grin:

sounds like a winning recipe to me,.... mind if I use it?

Jake_Parrott
12-14-2006, 15:45
Use Coke Zero. The sweetness of Coke without the calories.

At least that's what my wife does.

camduncan
12-15-2006, 15:20
Use Coke Zero. The sweetness of Coke without the calories.

At least that's what my wife does.

I've yet to try a bourbon and coke that way - makes sense to consume less calories when one can :bigeyes:

mrt
12-16-2006, 05:43
I don't know if I would mix it with a "cook"...lol....if you have too many, you may end up being a cook!

:o that's really embarrassing...

lar03
12-19-2006, 05:23
A few others have mentioned this already, but I don't think Bourbon mixes well with Coke, close, but not quite. I do, however, find that JD and Coke (only Coke, not Cola, Pepsi, or anything diet) complement each other very well. This is still one of my favorite cocktails.

cowdery
12-19-2006, 21:22
When I drink Coke I tend to drink Diet Coke or Coke Zero, both of which I find very acceptable, but for mixing purposes the fake sugar versions just don't seem to work. I also agree that JD and Coke seem to have a particular affinity.

Maybe because Lynchburg is only about 200 miles from Atlanta.

TNbourbon
01-02-2007, 20:28
Kinda of a sideways bourbon-and-Coke tonight -- I can't find a ginger beer around here, so have bought some ginger ale to try a makeshift rye-and-ginger. Best I can do without a trip to KY, it seems. Anyway, I don't particularly care for the ND Bourbon deLuxe (1978) I have open (remember, these are the folks who originally came up with Old Grand-Dad), which strikes me as heavy on the rye side. So, am mixing if with the ginger ale. Pretty good combo of spice and sweet.

mrt
01-06-2007, 09:07
Just a few minutes ago, I had some Beam White&Coke on the rocks. I like this taste. JD&Coke is sweeter, but I enjoyed Beam White, too. BTW, I had it together with a slice of pizza and chips, and it was a good company. Bourbon with meal? Mixed with coke, yes! Bourbon&Coke might not be better than bourbon neat, but who says it's not better than "coke neat"-at least sometimes? :)

HighTower
01-06-2007, 14:33
I drink bourbon & coke on occasion, but it's a thing of laziness when I just couldn't be bothered. Jack and Cola stubbies were good until they lowered them from 8% to 7% and now they are only 6%:bigeyes:
So I still often go for the Wild Turkey and Cola premix and it still comes in at 8%...don't need too many of those!

Scott

Edward_call_me_Ed
01-10-2007, 08:55
Seems like the bourbon and coke category is catching up with the dislike bourbon and coke.

Ed

fogfrog
01-14-2007, 14:47
I don't have any coke to try it! But I do like Sierra Mist and bourbon. Also, if I remember right, Coke goes really well with Rum!

In fact, I found out I like Captain Morgans straight.

BourbonBalls
01-17-2007, 08:13
To me, with most mixed drinks, the mixer takes the lead.

Bourbon and coke in my opinion is someone who just wants to drink alcoholic coke. As in my opinion, vodka is alcoholic water since its diluted so much.

For my personally, if I want to drink coke I want the taste of coke and I wouldnt want anything to interfere with that.

And you KNOW thats how I feel about my bourbon

heatmiser
01-30-2007, 21:28
I'm with BourbonBalls on this one. I like bourbon and I like coke. However, I am not fond of bourbon and coke together.

TNbourbon
01-30-2007, 21:49
To me, with most mixed drinks, the mixer takes the lead...

Well -- get a new bartender. I just had a little while ago a Scotch and ginger ale -- about 70% young, Lowlands single malt scotch, and 30% (diet) ginger ale. Pretty darned good, frankly. And, I tasted the Scotch!
My point is, I guess, that sometimes I want a drink without THINKING about it. Thus, a mixed drink is welcome. But, I can mix it any way I want it!

whiskeyhatch
04-12-2007, 23:37
My earliest experience with bourbon was when, at 16, my grandfather set me up with a series of bourbon-and-cokes. He thought that it would be cute to get me looped before a Christmas eve candlelight church service. A fond memory but, these days, I have zero interest in mixing bourbon with coke.

jwrussell
05-10-2007, 09:13
Hehe, the closest I come is Jack and Coke wich I like fine. I don't have a bottle of bourbon I'd be willing to use for Bourbon and Coke. lol.

mrt
05-12-2007, 03:55
For now, those who like bourbon and cola together seem to have taken the lead! And together with those who opted for "so so", we can say that bourbon and cola is at least "drinkable" for %60 of the constituents.

We're still on track, to be continued :)

OscarV
05-27-2007, 14:21
Looks like we got a tie ballgame, 35-35.

(edit)
later that day,....
I Like moves ahead by one, 36-35

(edit)
still later that day,....
A mere hour later and we are tied again, 36-36

Hyperspace
05-30-2007, 15:51
I like it with Coca-Cola Classic. I don't like it with diet at all.

Still 99% of the time a drink my bourbon neat or on the rocks.

RoyalWater
06-01-2007, 22:09
Not something I choose, but I politely accept in the presence of company. I like Spiced Rum and Cola, RC Cola more than Coke. Bourbon and cola: not so much. Strangely, I love bourbon straight but I can barely tolerate rum straight.

whiskeyhatch
06-07-2007, 02:10
Not something I choose, but I politely accept in the presence of company. I like Spiced Rum and Cola, RC Cola more than Coke. Bourbon and cola: not so much. Strangely, I love bourbon straight but I can barely tolerate rum straight.

Rum and cola... now we're talkin'! Reminds me of many, many pleasant nights in San Juan. I couln't afford beer but rum seemed almost cheaper than water. God bless the cuba libra!

Pastor Bourbon
06-13-2007, 16:11
Once in a blue moon on a hot day instead of beer; or in the dead of winter when there isn't a good Rum around...

Seldom these days though because if your having a sweet drink - why not mix an interesting cocktail... :)

Pastor Bourbon
06-13-2007, 16:21
I agree with the concept of using a cheaper bourbon ... wouldn't use Wild Turkey or my precious Rare Breed; but Sam Cougar which I find is more grainy goes well with cola and is "expendable" as a mixer... :)

Pastor Bourbon
06-13-2007, 16:36
Call me a purist or whatever HT, but I resent paying someone else to mix my drinks when I can do it myself and get the strength I want. :D

And - It's somuch cheaper!

Keenan
06-16-2007, 10:20
Coca-Cola, for me, pairs only with pizza. Bourbon mixes in well as a digestive though.

HipFlask
07-29-2007, 21:56
I started down the bourbon trail by mixing it with coke. That all ended when I switched to Bourbon rocks. Now I drink it almost always drink it neat. The last bourbon coke I had was at a party. The hostess handed me a Blanton's and coke and I didn't want to be rude. I was crying inside as I sluged it down. Then I went and got a proper pour. My wife mixes with sweet or sour every once in a while. I now make sure that I have plenty of WT Rye on hand for her mix.

TNbourbon
07-30-2007, 20:00
I started down the bourbon trail by mixing it with coke. That all ended when I switched to Bourbon rocks. Now I drink it almost always drink it neat. The last bourbon coke I had was at a party. The hostess handed me a Blanton's and coke and I didn't want to be rude. I was crying inside as I sluged it down. Then I went and got a proper pour. My wife mixes with sweet or sour every once in a while. I now make sure that I have plenty of WT Rye on hand for her mix.

A prediction: (I'm an old newspaper columnist, and I've stuck my neck out and been wrong -- I think:slappin: -- once or twice before. I've mixed Stagg with generic store-brand diet cola -- GASP! And enjoyed it!) There will come a time whe you don't WANT Stagg or Blanton's or Booker's or whatever neat, and you'll decide bourbon-and-Coke, or bourbon-and-ginger, ain't so bad after all.
At that point, you will have passed to connoisseurship.
(People tell me I'm a con-a-sewer all the time.)

CrispyCritter
07-31-2007, 22:47
I've mixed Stagg with generic store-brand diet cola -- GASP! And enjoyed it!)

I tried a "Stagghattan" a while back - It was very tasty, the Stagg character was very evident even with the vermouth and bitters present, and I was thoroughly blitzed afterward. :slappin:

ILLfarmboy
08-01-2007, 20:49
Some years ago, after getting married, my wife drug me to a "karaoke party". (why is it once you're married you must have "couple friends"?) Anyhow, I took along a bottle of Weller Antique and it was then I discovered just because you really like something neat doesn't mean you'll like it mixed. In this case with Coke.

Eggman
08-14-2007, 20:10
Howdy,

I'm a "noobie" when it comes to alcohol. My first attempt to consume Bourbon was Jim Beam Black label straight. YUCK!! Jet Fuel in a glass! 1.5 oz of torture :bigeyes:
The next day I poured 1.5 oz. of JBB and mixed in a good 3 oz. of water. Yuck! Jet fuel mixed with water! Today I tried mixing JBB with my favorite beverage: Diet Coke. 1.5 oz. of JBB with a good 6 oz. of Diet Coke.
YES! Good: it taste like Diet Coke with bourbon in it.
All of you veteran Bourbon lovers with experience prefer Bourbon neat or maybe over ice with a splash of water. I understand.

Eggman

jbarlycorn
09-09-2007, 13:31
This is an historic note. Back in the day (late 80s) a popular drink on the street here among the lets get hammered set was "Oldoverjolt", a blend of Old Overholt and Jolt (all the sugar, and twice the caffine) Cola, preferably in a 2 liter.
To be honest, I still enjoy big cheap rye from time to time...
Robert

Gillman
09-09-2007, 14:07
That's interesting, Overholt and Jolt, I hadn't heard that. I wonder if the rhyming encouraged the drink, maybe it is a coincidence.

I rarely drink bourbon and cola, not because I don't like it, but it is a rich drink and the calories are brutal.

Still, I have an exception: with pizza. Domino's pizza specifically, and usually in motels when visiting bourbon country.

I've done this a few times. Perfect combination.

Gary

mrt
09-22-2007, 03:22
That's interesting, Overholt and Jolt, I hadn't heard that. I wonder if the rhyming encouraged the drink, maybe it is a coincidence.

I rarely drink bourbon and cola, not because I don't like it, but it is a rich drink and the calories are brutal.

Still, I have an exception: with pizza. Domino's pizza specifically, and usually in motels when visiting bourbon country.

I've done this a few times. Perfect combination.

Gary

I stand fully in favour of this combination, too. It really goes well with pizza. I prefer Pizza Hut or one of the local pizza stores here, though.

craigthom
09-29-2007, 16:50
Twenty five years ago bourbon and Coke was the beverage of choice for football games, so I drink bourbon and Coke on Saturdays while I watch, because the drink tastes like college football to me. Except it's Coke Zero now.

WsmataU
10-01-2007, 10:12
If I mix bourbon, its typically with ginger ale. To be specific, I'm not a big Makers Mark fan, but do enjoy it iced with ginger.

I completely agree! Makers has a strong enough flavor that it can stand up well to most sodas. I love to have a bourbon and ginger when I'm out, but I also agree with the general concensus that "good" bourbon should be drunk without the addition of soda. It is a bit like making sangria out of your best bottle of red wine!

WsmataU
10-01-2007, 10:15
Oh....And just to be a pain in the arse...JD IS NOT BOURBON!!!!

Keep that sugar water south of the border!

Gillman
10-01-2007, 10:29
Here is a suggestion for those who like bourbon and coke and Manhattans. The Italians have a well-known soft drink called "brio" (I think that word means "zest of life").

This is quite good, it is spicy and a little bitter (bitter-sweet in effect). It has some resemblance Dr. Pepper, say, but with its own stamp.

The herbs and spices in Brio are somewhat like those in red vermouth (also usually from Italy), but with a cola-like backdrop.

So using Brio instead of Coke produces a kind of combination of two well-known drinks.

I would think most big supermarkets (anywhere) would carry Brio, certainly in any city of any size.

Gary

Lionhoo
10-06-2007, 09:48
Bourbon and coke was a staple drink while I was an undergrad. I still enjoy it but have moved on to diet coke (or coke zero) with a twist of lemon. We drank B&Cs every football season (well, not the only time, but the most memorable) and to this day my first drink every first Saturday of college football season is a large B&C. There is just that wonderful smell/memory association that takes me back . . .

Cheers,
Marshall

anacostiakat
10-06-2007, 10:44
I drink my bourbon a lot of different ways. Straight, OTR, with diet pepsi occasionally and with water (mixed or back). It depends on setting and mood. Sometimes a tall boy with a mixer allows me to "stretch" it a little more.

polyamnesia
11-03-2007, 12:35
an early, beginner's habit i had at first...and actually started with Old Charter...

JD(not bourbon!) is maybe best if colafied!:grin:

but i plan to give GJack a NEAT try soon....small bottle on sale in PA for $9.99...but can't find it yet!

Thesh
11-15-2007, 23:05
Never actually tried bourbon and coke. I like Wild Turkey Rye with some coke in it on ocassion, and have have had jack and coke and rum and coke (used to drink it all the time at the bowling alley when the lanes were having their way with me). I generally don't like mixed drinks unless I want to drink it fast, but the wild turkey rye and coke is delightful.

polyamnesia
11-25-2007, 11:06
does anyone go beyond the acknowledged quality of Coca Cola??? it's got the right tang.

what other colas have you tried?

seems Pepsi and Royal Crown are too SWEET.

then there are those nice, 'top shelf' colas...

on an almost unrelated note, has anyone mixed bourbon or something else with root beer or Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer??? i like the tang of birch.

there there's sassafras...

ILLfarmboy
11-25-2007, 14:20
As late as around 1980 Stutt's Drug Store in Aledo Illinois still sold Coke syrup. Did anyone ever add a bit of additional syrup to their bourbon or Jack and Coke.

OscarV
11-25-2007, 14:51
Hey Brad, what exactly is coke syrup?
I remember as a kid once we were visiting my Aunt in Chicago and she wanted to stop at a drug store for coke syrup.
It intriged me even then that this was sold only at drug stores.

ACDetroit
11-25-2007, 17:55
My mom use to give it to us for stomache ache etc. It was very good and just as stated Coke Syrup, nothing fancy. I never looked for it once I was old enough to drink. Sounds funny to me kind of like adding more caffine to my coffee??:grin:

Tony

chilidawg7
03-25-2008, 18:18
Pepsi is a tad sweet for my tastes. I definitely enjoy a bourbon and cola occasionally, and I find myself using Coke Zero or Cherry Coke Zero as of late. Not as good as the real thing, but way better than Diet.

A fellow SB.com member turned me on to Old Forester and Barq's root beer and he was definitely right about that one. Mmmm...

DoubleT
03-26-2008, 07:06
To date I have never met a bourbon I didn't like....straight up on the rocks. If I want something mixed with Coke I'll drink rum. It's mildly sweet on it's own and the coke blends well with it. But bourbon....never! And the higher quality the bourbon the more I hate the idea of mixing it. I have recently turned my brother. He finally got to the point he would drink more bourbon than beer. Then I got him turned on to Maker's Mark (my personal favorite) and have since got him drinking his bourbon neat or on the rocks, and in no other manner. He thanked me. I've been wanting to try Buffalo Trace for some time and my brother knew this. He also knew it wasn't available in OK so he was kind enough to bring me a bottle from TX. My brother does know how to say thank you. Cheers.

DoubleT
03-26-2008, 07:13
JD(not bourbon!) is maybe best if colafied!:grin:

but i plan to give GJack a NEAT try soon....
For a non-bourbon whiskey, Jack is nice and serves up very well on the rocks. I won't mix it with coke either. I think you will enjoy it.

CorvallisCracker
03-26-2008, 11:50
Back in FL I had a friend whose favorite drink was Rebel Yell and Coke. When I visited him I drank that as well, because the RY was better with Coke than without.

When we have a party, we do keep one Bourbon - EW BIB - at the "mixing station" - a table in the kitchen equipped with blender, cocktail shaker, ice and our "well" liquors and mixers.

We'll also stock up on Mexican Coke (available at a Mexican grocery store). Mexican Coke is sweetened with sugar, not high fructose corn syrup. It also comes in glass bottle, shaped like, well, a coke bottle (remember those?).

The liquor cabinet (in the dining room) is where guests will find all the rest of the whiskies (and brandies and aged rums). This is set up with snifters, port glasses, and a small pitcher of filtered water.

callmeox
03-30-2008, 18:53
If I'm out with friends or out after my bowling league, and there's only well bourbon available, I'll get a bourbon and diet soda. I've been trying to talk the bar manager at the local bowling alley to bring in a bottle of BT to augment the OGD, JBW and Echo Springs that they currently stock.

ILLfarmboy
04-08-2008, 15:25
If I'm out with friends or out after my bowling league, and there's only well bourbon available, I'll get a bourbon and diet soda. I've been trying to talk the bar manager at the local bowling alley to bring in a bottle of BT to augment the OGD, JBW and Echo Springs that they currently stock.

How about gifting a bottle to the bar, so long as you drink free from it? I suppose it ain't legal but.......

gblick
04-12-2008, 17:58
Today I was at a bowling alley for the birthday party of a friend of my son's. Someone bought me a bourbon and Coke (which I haven't had in a very long time), and I was really surprised by how good it tasted. I asked the bar what kind of bourbon they used in it, and they held up a bottle and said it was their well bourbon. It was Early Times, go figure!

spun_cookie
04-13-2008, 00:29
against the origianal post:

I do not really liek bourbon and cola... it is OK, but Ido not prefer.... tonight someone poured me a bourbon and generic cola.... man did that suck... bourbon and coke is way the hell better..... bourbon and any other soda sucks ass

d_nelly78
04-15-2008, 19:36
I will mix the cheaper bourbons with ginger ale, but only a splash of ginger though. I prefer to start the night drinking the good stuff neat and then switch to the not as good bourbon and mixing it. I hate to waste my good stuff.

callmeox
04-19-2008, 20:01
Tonight, I had three bourbon/cola mixtures at various points of the evening, and I was surprised at how they were so different in how the whiskey stood up to the cola.

WT101 and Diet Coke: Not a great combo. The flavors of the WT were totally lost in the mix and all I could taste was the alcohol.

Knob Creek and Coke Zero: The most flavorful of the three. The best of the KC flavors came out through the cola and this was very yummy, almost decadent. I was at a friend's house for this and I wouldn't normally make this choice at home. For reference on why I would mix KC with cola, please see Chuck Cowdery's forum thread regarding "the best bourbon is free bourbon" :grin:

Ezra Brooks 90 and Coke Zero - nearly as good as the KC above. When I originally got the EB90 a couple of months ago and tried it straight and on the rocks, it hit me in all the wrong places and has been relegated to the back of the cabinet ever since. Even when I tasted it tonight on the rocks before mixing it, I got a really strong old cabbage flavor from it, but the mixer cleans that up for me and there's some sweetness that is really enjoyable. I think I found a new inexpensive mixer for summer evenings by the pool.

Tennessee Dave
04-24-2008, 15:26
I don't like any whiskey mixed with anything. The only mixed drinks I ever care for was a Pina Colada and a good margarita.

jbaker
04-24-2008, 21:30
I can see the bourbon and coke mix up to a point. I like the kinda herbal thing going on in the coke, mingling with the rye flavors of a decent (rye-)bourbon. But it's the diluted nature of cola that disappoints me...that and the excessive amount of sweetness. If I could have a nice bitter, herbal cola, the way it was supposed to be, made almost like a "bitter," than I'd be happy to mix in with bourbon. But until the US comes around to the bitter soda idea, well, I guess I'm stuck without a mixer.

spun_cookie
05-05-2008, 00:24
I will once in a blue moo mix bourbon and ginger ale, but I would rather mix two bourbons far sooner that put a bourbon with soda... if you really like coke and X... I have soem graet rums you can come drink with me... Most of them are made by pyrate of old monk

OldJack
05-05-2008, 09:39
Another vote here for bourbon and Coke Zero. Maker's and CZ is one of my favorite combos, but I also enjoy adding a splash of CZ to Buffalo Trace on the rocks.

Of course, bourbon and club soda with a twist of lime is noce.

Or bourbon on the rocks.

Or, well, you get the idea...

boss302
05-05-2008, 13:00
Good bourbon-- I drink it straight, with a small splash of water.

Cheap bourbon-- with cola.

My favorite combo-- Old Crow and Pepsi!

dave ziegler
05-06-2008, 11:51
One of my favorites is only possible if I get to KY or get someone to bring me some Ale 8 it is great with Bourbon and they are the only one to make this wonderful old KY soda treat not to sweet with a little fruit in the flavor the Bourbon just jumps out at you! Coke is too frizy and Sweet!
Dave Z
Old Hickory America's most magnificent Bourbon
-----------------------------------------------------

ThomasH
05-08-2008, 19:24
The only thing I drink with cola is Cuervo Black Medallion and diet Coke with lime. Those Margarita drinks give me some serious sour stomach. If I want a mixed drink with bourbon, its ginger ale or nothing!

Thomas

Brbnlvr
05-12-2008, 12:40
I must admit that Jack and Coke is how I came to love bourbon straight. Twenty years ago, my buddy and I would go out for drinks. He would order a Jack and Coke and I would order my usual rum and coke. Every so often the waitress would accidently switch our drinks. I would take a good pull and think, "Man, that tastes good." He would do the same, make a sour face, and immediately switch our drinks. After a time or two of that, I just started ordering my own Jack and Coke.

Now, I only drink my whiskey with diet Coke at parties and that's only if the bourbon selection is weak. Otherwise, give it to me straight.

fishnbowljoe
05-13-2008, 23:30
I like bourbon and "pop" too. I say pop, because I use different varieties with different bourbons. Since becoming a member of SB, I've started trying many different bourbons. To me, some taste good with one kind of pop, and some taste good with another. I won't bore you with all the combinations I like, and have tried, but my two favorite combos are: Maker's Mark and Sierra Mist Free, and good old Knob Creek and Coke. I use Pepsi, RC and Sprite at times but I've always got Coke and Sierra Mist Free on hand. Same as my bourbons. Joe

HipFlask
05-14-2008, 08:20
Fishnbowl joe, Here is a must try combo for you... Ginger Ale and WT rye 101. Yes, I know that the Rye isn't Bourbon but it is straight and American and an amazing combination. Post back here once you have tried it as I am curious to your thoughts. Cheers!

fishnbowljoe
05-15-2008, 21:45
Don't have a bottle of WT rye, but I'll try it using the Templeton I have. Thanks for the suggestion. As a side note here, as far as cola's go, I really prefer RC. It's kinda fit's in snugly right between Coke and Pepsi. Not as sweet as Pepsi, and not as strong as Coke. Sometimes I'm at the mercy of my wife though. She'll buy what's on sale.:rolleyes: Joe

fishnbowljoe
05-18-2008, 17:31
Tim, Tried your recipe today. Templeton and Ginger Ale. Not too bad! Didn't know what to expect, and ended up being pleasantly surprised. The Ginger Ale seemed to really mellow out the slightly bitter, harsh flavor I usually taste with Rye. A nice, smooth drink, with no aftertaste. I'll definitely have it again. Thanks again for the recipe. Joe

HipFlask
05-21-2008, 09:25
Tim, Tried your recipe today. Templeton and Ginger Ale. Not too bad! Didn't know what to expect, and ended up being pleasantly surprised. The Ginger Ale seemed to really mellow out the slightly bitter, harsh flavor I usually taste with Rye. A nice, smooth drink, with no aftertaste. I'll definitely have it again. Thanks again for the recipe. Joe

I am glad to hear that you liked the Rye and Ginger. Now I have a question. How is your Templeton Rye? I had a couple bottles of their first year that were great. Then I went to pickup bottle of their second year and it was way off (Really bad nose and after taste). Nowhere near as good as the Rittenhouse or WT. So much so that I haven't even looked to pickup another bottle. Of coarse the cost vs 80 proof and the fact that I have to trek to another state to buy it certainly doesn't help their cause any. Another tip to make an undrinkable whiskey drinkable put in 3 or 4 peppermint candy sticks and it suddenly becomes a Holiday drink.

fishnbowljoe
05-21-2008, 20:01
Can't really give you a good answer about the Templeton. It's my first bottle of rye. Tasted okay to me. I don't think that rye, or bourbons with a higher rye content in the mash bill are my cup of tea. I much prefer the wheaters. I like bourbons that are sweet and smooth. The aroma was okay but have to agree with you about the after taste. The one I had with the ginger ale was good though. A bit smoother and very little after taste. Joe

HipFlask
05-22-2008, 07:29
Then you defineatly need to give the Rittenhouse BIB or WT rye 101 a try then. Those 2 ryes are in differnt league. If you can find it the Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye tops them all. There is a store up in south Beloit that carries both and might just have some of the VWFRR. I cannot remember the name though. I too very much like the wheaters they are some of my favs. But Good whiskey is good whiskey and you will know it when you try it. Sorry to all for corrupting this fine Bourbon thread with Rye.

OldJack
06-12-2008, 17:08
Anyone know of a good diet ginger ale? I really want to try it w/ rye.

fishnbowljoe
06-12-2008, 20:03
Not a diet ginger ale, but you might want to give Sierra Mist Free a try. Joe

Gillman
06-12-2008, 20:08
I would recommend Vernor's Diet Ginger Ale. Our Michigan friends will know all about Vernor's. Vernor's is from Detroit, or nearby.

But Vernor's has a kind of independent history in Ontario, where it has always been considered a "local" drink. That is, everyone knows it is from Michigan, but still, it's considered an Ontario drink too. (There are many connections between Ontario and Northern Michigan).

For a long time there was only the regular Vernor's, but now there is also the diet one. Both are excellent, with a full, gingery taste.

Gary

TNbourbon
06-12-2008, 20:14
Now, (diet) ginger ale and rye-recipe bourbon is my thing, certainly (I prefer diet cola with wheaters). And Vernor's is a good one, if you can find it. Very pungent, like a ginger beer. Wal-Mart carries the diet version, if you don't live in an area that short-sightedly bans Wal-Mart.
But, frankly, I find even my local Kroger store-brand version is very respectable.

OldJack
06-17-2008, 19:58
I prefer diet cola with wheaters). And Vernor's is a good one, if you can find it. Very pungent, like a ginger beer. Wal-Mart carries the diet version, if you don't live in an area that short-sightedly bans Wal-Mart.
But, frankly, I find even my local Kroger store-brand version is very respectable.

I picked up the Kroger the other day. It is just OK, but could use more pep as I like an assertive ginger ale. The Kroger reminds me of that Ale-8-1 they sell in Kentucky. I will hunt down the diet vernors. I sure did like their regular offering in the days before my diabetes. I have my pick of Wal Marts around here, though I try to avoid them due to the crowds.

As far as a diet cola w/ wheaters, I think Pibb Zero and Weller tastes like pecan pie. If you can't get Pibb Zero, Diet Dr Pepper is close.

Gillman
06-19-2008, 10:27
By the way good old Canada Dry Ginger Ale is pretty good today. Some years ago it was reformulated (at least, that is my inference) to have a more assertive taste.

I find it very good with Jim Beam White. Beam White is really a bourbon for mixing, IMO. Its dryish, grainy edge blends very well with pop. A richer, sweeter bourbon often just won't be as good, or too sweet is another way to put it.

Coke Zero is offering a lot of options for mixed drinks today, I find. Its taste seems much more attuned to regular Coke than Diet Coke which to me has an odd, almost salty edge. I don't know how they do it with Coke Zero, but it is very close to a standard cola pop and therefore it mixes very well with all kinds of liquors.

Gary

CorvallisCracker
06-19-2008, 11:49
Coke Zero is offering a lot of options for mixed drinks today, I find. Its taste seems much more attuned to regular Coke than Diet Coke which to me has an odd, almost salty edge. I don't know how they do it with Coke Zero, but it is very close to a standard cola pop and therefore it mixes very well with all kinds of liquors.

When Diet Coke was introduceed back in the early 1980s, it was given a different flavor profile from regular Coke, basically sweeter. When "New Coke" was introduced in 1984 it was essentially a non-diet version of Diet Coke.

Coke Zero has less sweetener and thus has a flavor profile closer to regular Coke.

However, some people (including me) can easily taste the artificial sweetener, and don't like Diet Coke/Coke Zero on its own (I've repeatedly demonstrated I can do this in blind tastings). I find I can tolerate a 50/50 blend of Coke and Coke Zero.

Modern Coke (American) is not the same as pre-1984 Coke. It used to be sweetened with sugar, but when they introduced "Coke Classic" in late 1984 they were using high-fructose corn syrup. Many people (the type given to conspiricy theories) believe the whole "New Coke" thing was just a way to cover the shift from sugar to HFCS.

Mexican Coke is still sweetened with sugar. I'm actually buying some later today to have on hand for a party Saturday. I plan to try mixing it with Coke Zero to see if the ratio can be altered to use more CZ and still keep it tolerable.

One possible benefit to the rising price of corn is that Coca-Cola may revert to sugar.

OldJack
07-13-2008, 15:08
Just thought I'd post a little revelation I found, though I'm sure others around here already know this. A strong dash of bitters makes generic diet ginger ale come alive. Mix in some WT Rye, and, well, let's juts say Im making myself thirsty typing this.

shoshani
07-13-2008, 23:14
I've never liked bourbon and cola. Haven't thought of ginger ale or Vernors.

But I'll tell you what I love: bourbon and root beer. Specifically Barq's; it has a tangy zest that sets off perfectly with the late lamented Bonded Old Forester.

For that matter, it is absolutely superb with a little Baby Saz.

I don't do any of this very often; when I'm in the mood for bourbon I like it neat. However, when I'm in the mood for Barq's, it definitely gets a little improvement from the addition of bourbon or rye.

TNbourbon
07-13-2008, 23:53
I'm okay with anything/everything posted here because, ya know, each of us ought to drink our whiskey like we enjoy it. That IS the purpose.

chilidawg7
07-15-2008, 17:09
Recently we were out of Coke in the house and my wife wanted a mix of bourbon with something else, so I found some Dr. Pepper. She really liked it and so I tried it.

I must say, Dr. Pepper and OGD ain't too shabby!

jackthewog
07-16-2008, 01:33
Often drink this when out on the town. I normally find it too sweet though (especially with 'post-mix' coke) so i drink it in a rocks glass full of ice with bourbon and then half coke half soda water to fill the glass. Gives more bourbon taste, less sweetness and less calories. Thats sounds like a good reason to me for you all to try one.

Cheers Jack

Gillman
07-29-2008, 12:53
That sounds perfect and a variation on a Presbyterian, which is rye whiskey, ginger ale, soda water.

Gary

hectic1
04-06-2009, 18:42
I like my bourbon OTR with a splash of water...I like my JD or GJ with Diet!

B3Nut
04-17-2009, 13:29
While I'm mainly into neat, and an Old Fashioned or Manhattan done the right way, I still like a good B&C when on a gig. Especially MM and Coca-Cola...dangerously refreshing on a hot day playing outdoors. :D My fave bandstand cocktail...and no matter what the bar, they can't mess it up. :D

TP

fishnbowljoe
04-18-2009, 12:18
Todd, I think MM and coke is just fine. However, (:rolleyes: ) if you want a little more flavor with a bit more bite, give KC and coke a try. For something in between the two, try JB black and coke. Just my two cents. :grin: Enjoy. It's all good! Joe

B3Nut
04-21-2009, 13:42
Yup, I've had KC and Coke on a few occasions...drank part of my first-ever bottle of KC in Coke actually. :D JBB and Coke ain't bad either. There's something about a wheater in cola...makes a rather dark and rich spin on the well-worn old highball. But you're right...it's all good! :D Even JBW and Coke is pretty darn good...had more than my share of that at bars...heck that's all one of my favorite burger haunts has for bourbon! They do have Jameson though...neat pour of that makes for a good dessert. :D

tommyboy38
04-24-2009, 12:48
Sometimes i can't get enough! Years ago, I started my bourbon drinking at Delilah's in Chicago when they had $2 MM and coke. After 10 or so, they became too sweet...now I've switched to diet and I don't have that problem. Also had Knob and coke because that was the Thursday special at Delilah's (they have a bourbon special every night) and MM and coke every other night I was there. At home, I wasn't willing to "splurge" on a $20 bottle of MM so I started drinking EW and coke and that's still the standby cocktail at home or some parties. In the last several months, I've been drinking most everything straight and now I'm willing to "splurge" on a $65 bottle of BTAC. Thank you Bourbon for a wonderful trip that I hope will last many more years to come.

P.S. - I think I should go to Delilah's this evening.

B3Nut
04-26-2009, 09:23
Any excuse to hit Delilah's is a good one. :D I need to get to Chicago more often. ;) Did you make it down there?

tommyboy38
04-27-2009, 12:17
B3,
I did not make it this weekend. My wife was wiped out after a day long imprisonment at work. She's a civil servant who has to test to be promoted. The test period ran about 6+ hours (up from 2 hours last time) and she couldn't leave for a lunch (or use the bathroom without an escort)

To make a long story short, she was tired and I was sober.

Anytime you come to Chicago, the first round at Delilah's is on me...maybe the second too!

B3Nut
04-30-2009, 07:20
Yikes! That sounds like a pretty grueling test. We'll def. have to hook up when I get down Chicago way. :)

polyamnesia
05-30-2009, 17:01
just got a hold of the 'new' MEXICAN (natural sugar only!) Coke the other day....and it's excellent. a total differance from the corn syrup version...

not sure i want to ruin the MexCoke with any bourbon! but i admit, i am returning from the total snobbery of going only NEAT with my whiskey...

warm weather used to make all the bourbon go into hibernation...now enjoying the classic B&C at this moment.

does the lime add anything to this?

i admit, i am using Weller Antique for this mix. it works great. sweet but delivers the spicey punch of both the Coke and the 107

polyamnesia
05-30-2009, 17:06
I've never liked bourbon and cola. Haven't thought of ginger ale or Vernors.

But I'll tell you what I love: bourbon and root beer. Specifically Barq's; it has a tangy zest that sets off perfectly with the late lamented Bonded Old Forester.

For that matter, it is absolutely superb with a little Baby Saz.

I don't do any of this very often; when I'm in the mood for bourbon I like it neat. However, when I'm in the mood for Barq's, it definitely gets a little improvement from the addition of bourbon or rye.

being an old mississippian, i might have to try this:grin:...and while i am at it, there are alot of 'gourmet' sodas out there worth exploring with various whiskies.

Barq's cream is great too....i assume it would mix well with...?

B3Nut
06-01-2009, 12:47
The natural sugar Pepsi Throwback mixes well with bourbon...I made a B&C with Weller SR (Everett's single-barrel custom bottling) and it was really good. A good shake of Peychaud's bitters put it over the top...tasty! WT101 is good in this stuff as well. Experiment with bitters in these highballs...I think it adds another dimension.

polyamnesia
06-04-2009, 17:34
yes, i did throw in some bitters (ango...) this past weekend along with a quick shake of key lime juice...a nice, simply addition that added some dimension.

bigman
07-14-2009, 21:14
I was, and I guess am very fond of MM and cola, or more accurately diet coca-cola, and even found that sprite or diet sprite works quite well. However, MM or JB are about the only Bourbon that I have mixed with cola. Other whisky JD and some of the Canadian offerings I will mix. I wouldn’t be against using some of the better bourbon, I just haven’t, and likely won’t.

Mr.Maduro
07-15-2009, 07:25
I started drinking bourbon with seltzer/club soda. I really feel the carbonation helps bring out more flavors. Now I always have the first glass neat and then usually enjoy the rest over ice.

Once I tried some Buffalo Trace with some diet wild cherry Pepsi. It actually tasted like a cream soda...not bad, but definately too sweet to have more than 1 of.

floatingfast
07-15-2009, 09:47
I find that to be the case with me as well....I like my bourbon-NEAT

Joshua
07-17-2009, 16:01
I don't like it... I don't think the taste is anything special. With bourbon, I want that kick in the mouth from the alcohol content. If it's mixed, I want a very strong bourbon based drink with a unique flavor. (Like a Manhattan)

I guess since I don't enjoy the taste and experience of bourbon and cola, it just would turn into drinking to drink instead of actually enjoying the pour.

PAspirit1
07-25-2009, 08:51
I had a WTRR90 and Pepsi the other night. I wanted a drink and a caffiene boost at the same time. We were going dancing. It did the job, but I thought it was kind of sickly sweet like cough syrup.

Westernboys
12-11-2009, 15:18
JD and coke is good on a hot summer day. One is plenty if made right.

Pirate762
12-24-2009, 18:01
My GF likes JB white label and diet Dr. Pepper a lot. It's not my favorite, but I like my bourbon neat. It's not bad, just not my drink of choice.

Jim

Vosgar
12-25-2009, 17:05
My GF likes JB white label and diet Dr. Pepper a lot. It's not my favorite, but I like my bourbon neat. It's not bad, just not my drink of choice.

Jim

My wife loves Dr. Pepper, but won't try any of my bourbon. While I haven't heard of this combination, maybe it's way to get her to give some a chance. Yeah, right. And Elijah Craig is coming over to my house for a nightcap.

hectic1
12-27-2009, 18:10
I like me some Gentleman Jack and Diet when I'm drinking mixers...:)

derevaun
02-17-2010, 23:26
Another vote for Mexican/Throwback/Jones real-sugar Cola with whiskey. I distinctly remember the switch from Old Coke to New Coke to Coke Classic--I switched to Diet Coke around that time, because Coke Classic seemed to leave an aftertaste that the Old Coke did not. :skep:

Anyway, sugar-sweetened cola has wound up being a luxury item, so it seems less demeaning to a good bourbon than it maybe should. I mix it 50/50 with either the commodity bourbon on hand, or one that I just don't like neat or OTR. I sometimes prefer it over a Sazerac, but I think that's just because I must have bought slightly oversized sugarcubes. :rolleyes:

McSmokey
11-18-2010, 06:11
Started out just drinking bourbon and coke then moved up to neat/on the rocks. I still go back every now and then for convenience sake.

imbibehour
11-18-2010, 22:15
I don't mix anything with Coke unless it's Mexican Coke which is cane sugar based.

I rarely catch myself drinking soda cause it's all corn syrup fructose which I don't care for the taste.

I love me Mexican bottled Coca Cola! SWEET CANE SUGAR BABY! BRING IT!

Rutter
11-19-2010, 04:45
I've yet to try corn syrup coke, I'm guessing its awful going by the comments on this thread?

RickF
11-19-2010, 07:49
I prefer burbon neat or on the rocks, but I also like bourbon and gingerale. I can accept bourbon and Sprite or 7UP (but not Sierra Mist), but the only alcohol I like in a cola is rum.

imbibehour
11-19-2010, 11:01
I've yet to try corn syrup coke, I'm guessing its awful going by the comments on this thread?

what does it say on the can over there (in the ingredients?), I am just curious.

I dig the Mexican bottled Coke because that's how it used to be when I was a kid, that's how I remember it.

But I almost never drink soda these days...

Rutter
11-24-2010, 02:28
what does it say on the can over there (in the ingredients?), I am just curious.

I dig the Mexican bottled Coke because that's how it used to be when I was a kid, that's how I remember it.

But I almost never drink soda these days...

The ingredients here are:
Carbonated water, sugar, colour (caramel E150d), phosphoric acid, natural flavourings (including caffeine).

I tend to drink coke zero these days though or pepsi max.

Stones
11-30-2010, 21:57
Recently i visited the US and while there a friend took me to 7 Grand in downtown L.A. When we got there we were feeling tired so to start off the night we had a VW10yr107 with coke much to the barman's disgust. When we made our way to the $50+ PVW23yo and i wasn't paying we (obviously) had it served with just a cube of ice. Beautiful stuff. :grin: