PDA

View Full Version : The holiday gift sets have begun to show up

jbutler
11-20-2006, 08:46
In the stores.

Last night, I picked up a JB Black set with a flask in it for $12.99, and the standard $14.99 WT set with two glasses. The glasses are a bit larger and a bit nicer than in years previous.

Nicer crappy glasses, that's an interesting notion. :lol:

Have any of you seen anything else so far?

bluesbassdad
11-20-2006, 12:09
I guess it's time for me to make the rounds of all the liquor stores in the area and take a look. (Did he say "all"?) I don't really need any more glassware, but I find such offers hard to resist -- unless the glassware is just too crappy.

There's one liquor store here in Chino Valley, one in Prescott Valley and two in Prescott. I think that's all there are within a 30 mile radius. Then there are the supermarkets, such as our one and only Safeway, some of which have as good a selection as our local Liquor Barn (aka "Liquor Coop").

Oh, and "standard $14.99 WT" goes for $18.99 here, more in some stores. I guess the delta goes to feed the burros that haul the stuff over the mountains. I used to say that the view from my deck came with the house at no extra cost, but it turns out that's not true.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

jbutler
11-20-2006, 14:48
I guess it's time for me to make the rounds of all the liquor stores in the area and take a look. (Did he say "all"?) I don't really need any more glassware, but I find such offers hard to resist -- unless the glassware is just too crappy.

There's one liquor store here in Chino Valley, one in Prescott Valley and two in Prescott. I think that's all there are within a 30 mile radius. Then there are the supermarkets, such as our one and only Safeway, some of which have as good a selection as our local Liquor Barn (aka "Liquor Coop").

Oh, and "standard $14.99 WT" goes for $18.99 here, more in some stores. I guess the delta goes to feed the burros that haul the stuff over the mountains. I used to say that the view from my deck came with the house at no extra cost, but it turns out that's not true.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield
Well I figure if I can buy a bottle of WT for $15 or a bottle of WT with two glasses for $15, then that decision's a no brainer. I usually stock up on "drinking bourbon" when the holidays are around. My wife always says "Don't you have enough bourbon?" Well sure I do honey, but I can't drink any of it. That's the problem with having nothing but unique bottles in your collection.

So at holiday time, I stock up on WT and such because the deals always seem to be the best of the year.

RedVette
11-20-2006, 15:19
Well I figure if I can buy a bottle of WT for $15 or a bottle of WT with two glasses for $15, then that decision's a no brainer.

Here in OK it is $21.99 for a bottle of 101 or $21.99 with two nice/crappy glasses. I'll pass.

It seems they raise prices during the holidays around here. Captive audience I guess.

jburlowski
11-20-2006, 15:21
What's with all the free crappy glasses? Whatever happened to simply drinking out of the paper bag?

jbutler
11-20-2006, 15:39
What's with all the free crappy glasses? Whatever happened to simply drinking out of the paper bag?
They leak. :lol:

jbutler
11-20-2006, 15:42
Here in OK it is $21.99 for a bottle of 101 or $21.99 with two nice/crappy glasses. I'll pass.

It seems they raise prices during the holidays around here. Captive audience I guess.
California can be a very expensive place to live Rob, but I don't think anyone is beating the prices we get on bourbon. No doubt whoever is supposed to be watching will figure it out and stick us soon enough though.

TNbourbon
11-20-2006, 15:42
...It seems they raise prices during the holidays around here...

Not just 'around here' -- the run-up to the holiday season is traditionally when liquor companies raise their prices. We start seeing almost across-the-board wholesale wine/liquor increases in September-October. They want folks to be conditioned to those prices before the holiday season begins because it's the highest-volume period of the year.

ILLfarmboy
11-20-2006, 15:43
about a week ago I bought a bottle of WT101 with a set of realy nice rocks glasses. Much better than the crappy barrel shaped acriylic set I got last year with a bottle of Rare Breed.

Chaz7
11-20-2006, 16:57
I just bought the Rare Breed wooden box (my wife is making a candle holder, unlit of course, er the candles that is) w/ two rocks glasses; $28.77 on sale. I always seek out the gift sets if it's of something I drink. WT is not usually my first choice, but the glasses, the sale price, and the fact it was RB made it appealing

RedVette
11-20-2006, 17:07
I just bought the Rare Breed wooden box (my wife is making a candle holder, unlit of course, er the candles that is) w/ two rocks glasses; $28.77 on sale. I always seek out the gift sets if it's of something I drink. WT is not usually my first choice, but the glasses, the sale price, and the fact it was RB made it appealing

Now that makes for a nice holiday gift set. A $35 bottle on sale for $28 along with a free something (Flask, ashtray, crappy glasses) to boot.

doubleblank
11-20-2006, 18:37
These holiday gift sets take up a lot of shelf space.......so when the holidays are over, most retailers discount them to get rid of them. That's when I stock up on all sorts of "drinkin" stuff.....vodkas, tequilas and whiskies. EWSB, WT101, Cazadores, etc are my usual purchases.

Randy