PDA

View Full Version : bourbon as a gift

cathy0504
11-28-2006, 19:24
hi guys,

i'm not actually a bourbon fan myself (just not a big drinker, in general), but i've been seeing a boy who is a HUGE fan. old kentucky family, they all love their bourbon. i was thinking that a nice bottle of really good bourbon would make a good christmas present, but i'm clueless as to what to get!

could someone give me a few suggestions please?

i don't want to just grab a bottle of maker's mark... i'm looking for something special.

Pappy's Friend
11-28-2006, 19:37
Excellent question. The answer is going to be dependent upon your price range and your friend's taste. My personal all-time favorite is Pappy Van Winkle's 20-Year Family Reserve, which will run you around $80/bottle.

cathy0504
11-28-2006, 19:44
i'd spend up to $80 on a really good bottle.

gonna have to ask some subtle questions to find out his preferences in taste though.

(and thanks for the suggestion! i just saw that one recommended on another thread as well. must be good)

Pappy's Friend
11-28-2006, 19:46
Oh, it's good alright! As to his tastes, do you know what he orders? That would give you a clue as to his preferences.

mythrenegade
11-28-2006, 22:46
Taste is huge here. I understand that PVW20 is _very_ highly regarded, but I personally do not rank it that high for what I like in a bourbon. My recommendation would be Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon. It runs about $40 in California. It is my 2nd favorite bourbon behind Elijah Craig 18yo, but the two are very close and the EC18 wins on price. Blantons has an awesome package and would make a wonderful gift. Would you mind telling my wife? :slappin:

Joel

smokinjoe
11-29-2006, 05:40
You might want to find out what they drink now, to see what flavor profile they may like. Also, how do they drink it (neat, rocks, cocktails, ginger, etc.) You might want to see if they have a favorite distillery and try other iterations from that. Or, a least favorite, and avoid anything from it.
Tell us what you learn!
Cheers!
JOE

Big Chipper
11-29-2006, 05:45
Also, how do they drink it (neat, rocks, cocktails, ginger, etc.) Yeah, you wouldn't want to buy the Pappy 20 and drink it any other way than neat...

T47
11-29-2006, 08:02
might help to know whats available to you, where are you from?

BobA
11-29-2006, 09:38
For a gift, I think packaging matters as well, and the Pappy's and Blanton's are both good there. I'd add Rock Hill Farms, too. Those are also all reliably considered good by the majority of tasters. I'd shy away from the Elijah Craig 18 that was suggested, though. While many consider it a wonderful bourbon, it also has a fairly high percentage of tasters who don't really care for it. Without knowing more about his particular tastes, I'd play it safer.

Good luck.

Bob

mythrenegade
11-29-2006, 20:44
For a gift, I think packaging matters as well, and the Pappy's and Blanton's are both good there. I'd add Rock Hill Farms, too. Those are also all reliably considered good by the majority of tasters. I'd shy away from the Elijah Craig 18 that was suggested, though. While many consider it a wonderful bourbon, it also has a fairly high percentage of tasters who don't really care for it. Without knowing more about his particular tastes, I'd play it safer.

Good luck.

Bob

Bob,

For the record I think you are thinking of Elijah Craig 12 year old. I don't know if I've seen anyone around here diss the 18, it is very well regarded. The 12, yes, I totally agree 100%. No matter, the Blantons & PVW are better suggestions anyway :-)

Joel

bluesbassdad
11-29-2006, 21:43
Joel,

I won't diss EC18, but its intense char influence is too much for some folks. I've had three or four bottles, only one of which I truly enjoyed. (OK, so I'm a slow learner.)

I think it's a bourbon everyone should try, but if I had only one shot (Ha!) at matching a person's preferred flavor profile, EC18 would not be my choice.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

TimmyBoston
11-30-2006, 02:39
I would recommend a bottling from the Van Winkle Family, 12 year Lot B, Family Reserve 15 or 20 year. Or a bottle of AH Hirsch. A Black Maple Hill may also make a nice gift.

I'm in agreement with Dave about Elijah Craig 18. I think it's flavor profile is too "love it or hate it" to risk giving it as a gift.

Good luck.

cathy0504
11-30-2006, 15:04
thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

i found out that his favorite is woodford reserve, but he also likes evan williams. does that help give an idea of his preferences and make any of the suggestions given sound better than others?

cowdery
11-30-2006, 18:33
Cathy,

I wouldn't go with a Pappy. My sense from this thread is that your relationship isn't ready for that. Giving Pappy is a very intimate act. It's not something to do on the recommendation of strangers. When it's right to give him Pappy, you'll know it.

Based on the additional intelligence you have provided, I suggest the following. Also, if any of these is available in a gift set, typically with glasses, go with that one.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed or Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit
Blanton's
Booker's
Eagle Rare Single Barrel (the 10-year-old)
Four Roses Single Barrel (may not be available in your area)

This list is not comprehensive, but any one of these will show you made an effort to go beyond the obvious.

Good luck, with the bourbon and with the boy.

smokinjoe
12-01-2006, 07:07
thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

i found out that his favorite is woodford reserve, but he also likes evan williams. does that help give an idea of his preferences and make any of the suggestions given sound better than others?

OK. If he likes the plain Evan Williams, then maybe try the Evan Williams Single Barrel. It's a definate step up into the premium category for this brand, but with a price of only $20-25. The bottles will have a year on them (ie 1994,1995, 1996 etc.) Any of these are very good IMO. If you can find them, they also come in a gift pack with a glass for the Holidays.

If you happen to live in Kentucky (or close), you could opt for the Four Roses Single Barrel or Four Roses Small Batch. These are both terrific bourbons which can only be found in Kentucky (maybe So. Indiana?), that happen to come in some of the most beautiful bottles around. Makes for great presentation which is only bested by what's inside of them!

Happy Hunting!

JOE

jburlowski
12-01-2006, 12:48
Cathy,

I wouldn't go with a Pappy. ... Giving Pappy is a very intimate act.

Oh my god... what have I been doing with my neighbors!