PDA

View Full Version : Poll. If you could have only one (distiller)

Edward_call_me_Ed
12-04-2006, 01:46
If you could have bourbon from only one distiller, which would it be?

Edward_call_me_Ed
12-04-2006, 01:53
If you could have bourbon from only one distiller, which would it be?

Boy, this was a hard one. I know I started it, but still...

I voted for Buffalo Trace, but I would often be found crying into my bourbon missing all my other friends ig I really had to choose.

Ed

Edward_call_me_Ed
12-04-2006, 01:56
Wow. Someone was quick on the keyboard. Someone voted before I got my second post in. I know I am a slow typist, but Geeze! Oh, and sorry about the typo in the subject line.

Ed

Ambernecter
12-04-2006, 02:34
Wow!

That is a real "gun to the head" type question. I voted BT as well Ed; the floods of tears I would cry over no more VW and WT do not bear thinking about!

Mind you I'm sure a hefty slug of RHF or GTS could help ease the pain! (I was always a quick healer!)

J.W.
12-04-2006, 06:44
I had to go with Buffalo Trace but I would find someone to trade with for some Rare Breed.

barturtle
12-04-2006, 08:02
I wanted to go Wild Turkey, I really did! But they discontinued RR101 and don''t sell the 12yo domestically. :smiley_acbt:

I would have gone with Buffalo Trace, but they dropped ER101 and the Antique Collection doesn't come to where I live, neither does BT itself even though the distillery is owned by a company out of LA.:hot:

So give me some "other"-KBD.:grin:

tango-papa
12-04-2006, 08:56
While I'm still a fledgling Bourbon-Fiend, I had to vote VW.
It's just too good to go without!

~tp

dougdog
12-04-2006, 10:30
KBD...OTHER

Mostly, because I believe that they are positioned so uniquely to not only source good barrels from the bulk market, but to craft good whiskey when the stills come online.

With the column still and the pot still, either separate or in conjunction with each other, the combinations of spirit that can be produced is unlimited...especially when you consider the mash bill and yeast combinations that can be created.

There is an added bonus...they are not owned by a big parent company, there is no "bean counter" or marketing department telling them they cannot do something...just imagine the new flavor profiles and small batch whiskies waiting to be created.

The future at the Willett will be VERY interesting!!!!!!!

Just can't wait to taste their whiskey...

Jake_Parrott
12-04-2006, 11:16
KBD isn't distilling yet (sadly) and Van Winkle isn't distilling any more (sadly). Perhaps an update to the poll is necessary (sadly).

For now, BT. Let's hope the energy behind Handy and WLW translates to more 100+ proof and less 90 proof stuff in the future :).

Gillman
12-04-2006, 12:42
Heaven Hill because:

- Bettye Jo works there :)

- it makes fine bourbon such as EC 18 year old, McKenna Single Barrel, EWSB

- it sells Rittenhouse BIB for very little considering its quality

- it is an independent, family owned business.

Gary

Edward_call_me_Ed
12-04-2006, 15:13
KBD isn't distilling yet (sadly) and Van Winkle isn't distilling any more (sadly). Perhaps an update to the poll is necessary (sadly).

I did write distiller/bottler in the actual question.

Edward_call_me_Ed
12-04-2006, 15:16
I did want to include KBD. but I ran out of spaces.

Ed

jburlowski
12-04-2006, 15:42
Gotta go with BT. Great and broad selection of bourbons, consistent quality and good value. Also fantastic customer focus and service. And, of course, the annual BTAC.

cowdery
12-04-2006, 17:19
KBD...OTHER

Mostly, because I believe that they are positioned so uniquely to not only source good barrels from the bulk market, but to craft good whiskey when the stills come online.

With the column still and the pot still, either separate or in conjunction with each other, the combinations of spirit that can be produced is unlimited...especially when you consider the mash bill and yeast combinations that can be created.

There is an added bonus...they are not owned by a big parent company, there is no "bean counter" or marketing department telling them they cannot do something...just imagine the new flavor profiles and small batch whiskies waiting to be created.

The future at the Willett will be VERY interesting!!!!!!!

Just can't wait to taste their whiskey...

Somebody has really drunk the Kulsveen Kool-Aid.

Don't get me wrong. I wish we had 100 companies like KBD. I also wish we had 100 distilleries and I wish they operated under a business model more like Scotland's, so that independent bottling was as dynamic and robust here as it is there.

And I hope they start distilling, either with the column or the pot, or both. Let a thousand flowers bloom.

But let's no kid ourselves. KBD is a business. Their business is putting whiskey into bottles and selling it for as much as they can get. If they have a customer who has some knowledge and taste, who wants to bottle a genuinely special whiskey, they will cater to that. If they have a customer who wants to put any old anything into a fancy bottle with a high price tag, they will cater to that. They have put some wonderful bottles into circulation. They have also put some of the most unspeakable, undrinkable drek into circulation. Whatever pays the freight.

As for the question of the day, I asked myself who makes the best whiskey across the board and that's why I voted for Wild Turkey.

melting
12-04-2006, 17:32
This was an absolute no brainer from where I stand. Wild Turkey hands down if only for the fact that I enjoy their flagship main bourbon Wild Turkey 101 so much more than standard Buffalo Trace.

Buffalo Trace is perhaps the most boring over $20.00 bourbon I have tried to date. Perhaps I just happened to get the 3 dud bottles produced. Kind of like getting a lemon Toyota. Just doesn't happen.

Is is possible that Buffalo Trace is benefiting from a perceived, or very real lack of availability. Folks just want to believe it's better, and believe me, the power of suggestion is quite strong. Just ask doctors who treat patients with incredible results using only sugar pills and positive suggestion.

After reading over this post it may seem overly critical of Buffalo Trace. I assure you that was not the intention. My regard for Wild Turkey is only surpassed for my disregard for BT.

Chris

Jazzhead
12-04-2006, 20:36
Wild Turkey for me, followed in a very close second by Heaven Hill. Those are bourbons that always satisfy, especially with their mainstream product. I am hardly an expert, but I can identify these two house styles, and each smells wonderful and drinks easy (WT remarkably so, given the proof.) I've never taken a shine to Beam whiskeys, not sure why, and my exposure to Van Winkle products is too limited for me to prefer them to my Turkey Heaven.

CrispyCritter
12-04-2006, 22:26
I voted for BT, but VW and WT are very, very close behind. I give BT the edge for its wide variety of offerings though - not to mention that the BTAC, even if a bit pricy, is still affordable, and all that I've tried have been top-notch.

I'd hate to only have one company available, though...

Edward_call_me_Ed
12-04-2006, 22:32
Heaven Hill because:

- Bettye Jo works there :)

- it makes fine bourbon such as EC 18 year old, McKenna Single Barrel, EWSB

- it sells Rittenhouse BIB for very little considering its quality

- it is an independent, family owned business.

Gary

All excellent reasons. And believe me Heavan Hill only lost out to Buffalo Trace by a whisker at my house. A real photo finish with Wild Turkey just inches behind. Van Winkle and Beam both finish in the money as well.

Ed

TimmyBoston
12-04-2006, 23:04
Personally buffalo trace suits me best, but many others are very nice as well.

jspero
12-05-2006, 08:11
I went with HH. It was a tough call for me. BT and VW lost out by very VERY little, though.

Jay

NorCalBoozer
12-05-2006, 09:46
As for the question of the day, I asked myself who makes the best whiskey across the board and that's why I voted for Wild Turkey.

To me BT makes the best range of whiskey right now. The breadth of what they have is exceptional.

I think WT makes exceptional whiskey too, but I don't think they're hitting their potential. I'm speaking just in regards to high quality whiskey, throw out the business side of it for now.

What I'm trying to say is that, I think BT is running on all cylinders and maximizing what it can do, putting out super high quality, cutting edge products, while WT is happy with the smaller range they have and not really putting too much emphasis on the high end but Rare Breed shows what WT can do.

while i feel WT is so very good at what they do right now, they could easily spend some time with crafting bourbons soley for quality and they would certainly give BT a run for it, and I think even surpase BT in areas.

How about an 8-15 y.o. WT Rye?

I had a gold foil that was probably the second best bourbon i've ever tasted.

Unfortunatly this area doesn't seem to interest them too much, maybe because of lackluster sales of RR 101. Hopefully the growth of the high end market will give WT some incentive to come up with some great new offerings. I'd love to see it, because I think WT is a great company. For now I am happy with RB and KS. Greg

bobbyc
12-05-2006, 10:01
Originally Posted by Gillman http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/red2black/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=75812#post75812)
Heaven Hill because:

I went with HH.

Someone forgot to vote, HH shows only 1 vote.

lar03
12-05-2006, 11:50
I had to go with Heaven Hill. It's my first love, and will always make me happy. I do thank God that this is hypothetical, and I don't have to remain faithful however. BT would be my second choice.

OscarV
12-05-2006, 13:51
I would have voted for Buffalo Trace if Van Winkle was not seperated from them for this poll.
So I voted for Wild Turkey.
I love their lineup, the 15 yo Tribute to Jimmy Russell, Kentucky Spirit, Rare Breed, Russell's Reserve 101, and the flagship 101.
Not to mention the occasional 12 year old that they release.

jburlowski
12-05-2006, 15:33
But let's no kid ourselves. KBD is a business. Their business is putting whiskey into bottles and selling it for as much as they can get. ...
They have put some wonderful bottles into circulation. They have also put some of the most unspeakable, undrinkable drek into circulation. Whatever pays the freight.

Chuck, with all due respect, I think you are being a little harsh here. Your words above could be applied (to some degree) to almost any distiller (or marketer) out there.

The key is to be a knowledable consumer and know what you are getting for your money. And equally important is to get what you like... from whatever source.

dougdog
12-05-2006, 16:43
Somebody has really drunk the Kulsveen Kool-Aid.

That would be me...

dougdog
12-05-2006, 16:54
drek

I learned a new word today...

And Chuck, you are not too harsh...you are exactly right...and as mentioned, they do business just like everyone else...they just don't do it with the whiskey they made...someone else made that drek.

[Smile]

Keep up the good work Chuck!

Your friend,

dp

TomH
12-05-2006, 17:32
This choice was easy for me. I expanded from scotch to bourbon because of GTS and as the BTAC has expanded so has my love of BT.

Tom

Hedmans Brorsa
12-06-2006, 00:38
I went for Beam. None of their brands compete for my number one slot but apart from the unfortunate Basil Hayden, I think they have the most complete line-up.

The quality of their "cheap" bourbons are high, as well. Also, I think JB rye is unfairly maligned. Love it!

dougdog
12-06-2006, 07:38
The key is to be a knowledable consumer and know what you are getting for your money. And equally important is to get what you like... from whatever source.

John, you nailed it!...Isn't that TWO of the reasons we are all here on this wondeful site?

And now, after such a lengthy post, I find myself thirsty, and freash out of Kool-Aid!

And Chuck; I loved that post, it was the best laugh in a long time...I can see how I must "sound" when you put it that way...It's true, I think KBD has a good thing going, I'm a fan/groupie, sure....no shame in that for me. It's no secrete, if someday I live in Kentucky, I'd like to keep the grass mowed down at the distillery...actually, I'd enjoy working at any distillery that has the same attributes that were previously described in that post...Four Roses, BT and Wild Turkey come to mind...just to name a few. (If there is a more entry level job than mowin' lawns, I'll be glad to start there...)

Gillman
12-06-2006, 08:26
As someone (not alone on the board I know) with an interest in words and their history, I'll point out that drek or dreck is, as far as I know, one of the numerous Yiddish words that have entered English speech in America. Yiddish is derived mostly from a medieval form of German and many of its words share similar expressions in older or modern German and other European languages. When I thought about the word (which often is used humorously or in a non-serious way, e.g., "that movie I saw on Monday was real dreck"), the word "dreches" entered my mind, which in French means the spent grains from brewing, "les dreches". I don't know if there is an equivalent modern German word, but considering the German pre-eminence in brewing, there may be. I now wonder if the English "dregs" doesn't have the same root. So the word dreck may have an origin precisely in the mashing art which I find amusing considering the context of the discussion. Now why would a word such as dreches connote (at least in Yiddish and maybe other languages) something that is viewed less than favorably? After all spent grains are a valuable animal feed. I think the answer may reside in the fact that they have no alcohol in them. :)

Gary

Hedmans Brorsa
12-06-2006, 10:21
The word 'Dreck' is indeed alive and well in the German language. It means crap or rubbish.

I am pretty sure that it is related to the Swedish word 'träck', which is a formal, perhaps even archaic word for faeces. :grin:

I am no philologist so whether there´s a connection between dreck and dregs, I do not know. The word 'dreg' probably goes back to Old Norse and means sediment but is also a pejorative term for riff-faff. The Swedish equivalent is 'drägg'.

Gillman
12-06-2006, 10:57
Thanks Lenart. All these words seem related and probably share a common Indo-European root word or origin. No doubt its meaning of spent mash is a spin-off one and not the original meaning.

I should say though, or reiterate, that as used in American English, the word dreck has a meaning less offensive than the word's origins would suggest and/or the term is usually used in a semi-serious or lighthearted way.

Gary

BobA
12-06-2006, 11:37
I finally voted BT. Just too many pours I'd miss if they closed up.

Bob

photogjunkie
12-06-2006, 20:10
I'd have to go with the Van Winkle products. Though BT has a great line up of boubons I love...VW makes better quality, better tasting, dollar for dollar expressions than anyone. Though the BT antiques, WT gold foil and Rare Breed have a special place in my heart, I must follow my better judgement and make the turn at the Pappy road crossroads.

Thesh
12-06-2006, 23:24
When I can't make a choice, I fall back to Wild Turkey. I love a bit of rye, but to be honest I would quickly get bored if I had to pick one. I really need variety.

Stu
12-10-2006, 18:00
I'm going to show what a real novice I am. My favorite bourbons so far are (not necessarily in order) Four Roses SB, EC 18 SB, Kentucky Spirit, and Maker's Mark. Since no one has said a kind word about Four Roses, they got my vote. Like I said, I admit I'm a novice.

How do you get a spell check on the posts?

Stu

Stu
12-10-2006, 18:01
I'm going to show what a real novice I am. My favorite bourbons so far are (not necessarily in order) Four Roses SB, EC 18 SB, Kentucky Spirit, and Maker's Mark. Since no one has said a kind word about Four Roses, they got my vote. Like I said, I admit I'm a novice.

How do you get a spell check on the posts?

Stu

bluesbassdad
12-10-2006, 23:14
Look in the upper, right-hand area above the dialogue box where you type a post.

Click the checkmark with the letters "ABC" above it. Follow the directions for downloading the spellcheck software (as I did seconds ago). Viola!

The next time you click that icon, the newly installed spellcheck tool will pop up. I tried it in the Test Track forum. It works.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

nor02lei
12-11-2006, 11:16
Look in the upper, right-hand area above the dialogue box where you type a post.

Click the checkmark with the letters "ABC" above it. Follow the directions for downloading the spellcheck software (as I did seconds ago). Viola!

The next time you click that icon, the newly installed spellcheck tool will pop up. I tried it in the Test Track forum. It works.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

There is no such thing on my forum Dave. I should really need it though.

Leif

barturtle
12-11-2006, 13:08
Think I figured this out, Leif. You seem to be using the basic text editor. One with no smilies or font buttons above the text box. To get the spell check button you need to change to either of the other two text editor options.

How-To:
Go to your UserCP
Click Edit Options.
Scroll down a bit to the Miscellaneous Options box
Change the Message Editor interface to either Advanced or Standard
Then save your changes-button right below that box.

Now you should have a spell check button, in both quick reply and the full post reply screens

Stu
12-11-2006, 23:37
Thanks Dave,

It works for me!

Stu

ILLfarmboy
12-12-2006, 00:16
Even though it would mean no more Stagg etc. I would choose Wild Turkey. WT101 and RB are to me the quintessential bourbon(s).

ggilbertva
12-13-2006, 06:48
Would have to be BT. While I like WT very much, I appreciate the multiple recipes that BT uses to produce their wide range of bourbons.

JeffRenner
12-15-2006, 10:42
All these words seem related and probably share a common Indo-European root word or origin.

The OED doesn't take the root of dreg(s) back that far:

dreg, sb. [Probably from Norse: cf. Icel. dreggjar pl., Sw. drägg pl. dregs, lees. ]

And for dreck (with a surprisingly recent 1922 as a first citation in English):

dreck drek. slang. Also drek. [a. Yiddish drek (G. dreck) filth, dregs, dung, f. MHG. drec:-Gmc. *þrekka- repr. by OE. þreax rubbish, rottenness, ONor. þrekkr, OFris. threkk. Ult. origin uncertain but connection with Gr. skatoj dung, sterganoj privy, L. stercus excrement is generally accepted. ]

Note that it does give "dregs" as a synonym.

Also interesting that may be related to the Greek skatoj (which gives us scatology). It always amazes me how sounds can change.

Jeff

Frodo
12-15-2006, 15:21
My vote goes to BTby a country mile. The only line-ups we get many expressions of up here are BT and Beam. And BT has great mid-shelf bourbons, as well as the BTAC - all at great price points.

Too bad we only have the regular 40 proof WT. Have tried WTRB, and I liked it, but no other expressions I could get. Hat's off to Heaven Hill for the great EC 12 and a reasonably priced Rittenhouse Rye...

Chaz7
12-18-2006, 19:53
I had considered signing on with an alias, because I had two that were very difficult to choose from. Talk about Sophie's Choice! But I went with VW ever so slightly more than BT.

shoshani
12-18-2006, 21:41
Unfortunately, I can't limit myself to one, and am thus disqualified from voting!

The two that I would vote for, were I able to vote for two, would be BT and HH, because each one produces quite an amazing range. BT in particular, from the almost confectionary Rock Hill Farms to the drier Ancient Age 107 to the wheated Weller lines, has quite a kaleidoscope. And HH, with Elijah and Henry on one end of the table, its wheated Old Fitz on the other end, and the stupendous Rittenhouse BIB in the middle, has plenty of bases covered as well.

Talk is one thing; I'm actually at the moment drinking some Old Willamsburg Barrel Proof (121.5) someone gave me, trying to guess where it comes from. It isn't overly complex, so it's probably from a high corn mashbill, and from its light color I'm guessing it came either from a lighter char barrel or it spent a minimum of time (no age statement on the bottle) therein. The boilerplate on the back actually suggests that the rectifier may well be mingling the products of different distilleries...

MurphyDawg
12-18-2006, 22:01
a neck and neck toss up between wild turkey and van winkle. I adore them both.

TomC

drli
12-19-2006, 22:41
Buffalo Trace... Everything they sell is good! I have shirts... and i use the key chain... need i say more!!

scopenut
12-29-2006, 11:42
For me, Van Winkle, no question. However, BT is a very close 2nd.

-Kevin

NYtaster
01-06-2007, 17:12
I had to vote WT, I drink a wide assortment of bourbons, might even stay away from the whole WT family for a few months but I ALWAYS go back.

I have to say though I would greatly miss any of the others also!

Tim

Solomon2
01-15-2007, 19:09
Brown-Forman. I'm partial to both WR and OF, and prefer them over the Beam products I've tried, including the Small Batch line. Four Roses and Van Winkle I haven't yet sampled, but maybe someday I will.

Buffalo Trace? I've tried BT and one or two other of their products, and they are good but I'll reach for the B-F stuff given the choice, thank you.

Wild Turkey? Not a chance, don't like the notes at the end of a sip.

Barton's: some days my 1792 just isn't what I want.

Other: I liked my Old Setter, but now Montgomery County won't stock it. Which is weird, because OS is made in Baltimore!

Gillman
01-15-2007, 19:20
I'd say Heaven Hill, even though I like (some) bourbons and ryes made by most of the other companies. A lot should be said for an independent, family-owned company. Plus, they make Rittenhouse BIB.

Old Setter has always (the bourbon itself) been made in Kentucky as far as I know. It was (still is, I think) bottled in Baltimore by Standard Distillers, another fine independent which however no longer distills.

Gary

Old Lamplighter
01-15-2007, 22:47
Looking back at this thread tonight, I cannot recall whether I voted for BT, VW or WT.....symptom of approaching age 50 I think. In any event, after going through quite a bit of WT product over the holidays I would have to favor WT very, very slightly over VW. The only reason is my preference seems to lean more to the rye side than the wheat.

That being said, I think the Pappy 15 has to be either the #1 or #2 best bourbon I have ever experienced.....but, I have yet to ever try Pappy 20 or 23. Seems to me, 15 years is long enough. And, no matter what anyone says, Pappy 15 is just not exactly the same as ORVW 15. I have had plenty of both and although I will never be able to put my finger exactly on the difference, it is definitely there.......at least as far as my tastebuds go - which I guess is the key to it all. Nothing will taste the same to any 2 folks which is part of the wonderful world of bourbon!

LBTRS
01-16-2007, 13:36
Looking back at this thread tonight, I cannot recall whether I voted for BT, VW or WT.....symptom of approaching age 50 I think. In any event, after going through quite a bit of WT product over the holidays I would have to favor WT very, very slightly over VW. The only reason is my preference seems to lean more to the rye side than the wheat.

The poll says you voted for WT originally so you're consistant. I'll have to give WT a try.

smokinjoe
01-24-2007, 21:01
We're 1-1/2 mos. into this poll and a couple of things really stand out to me:

Beam, with excellent brand recognition and a hefty line-up, garnered a "whopping" 6%!! Unexpected to me.

There are 250 homes in the subdivision in which I live. I could go door-to-door and ask them what they think about Van Winkle and Buffalo Trace, and 245 would wonder what the hell I was talking about. (The other 5 are my bourbon converts) And, BT and VW got over 60% of the vote!!

What does this say? :confused:

JOE

Jazzhead
01-25-2007, 05:08
Interesting that only one poster chose Brown Forman. I'd guess that's in part because B-F doesn't distill a great range of products, like Buffalo Trace or even the various expressions of WT. Just Old Forester and, in recent years, the Birthday Bourbon specialties.

But I'll tell ya, if the question were altered to what single bourbon could you be forced to live with for the rest of your life, I'd likely choose Old Forester BIB. That is one amazing bourbon, especially for the price. Kudos to Brown Forman for a consistently delicious, reasonbly priced product.

TBoner
02-02-2007, 22:06
BT is great, but I chose Jim Beam for a few reasons:

One, the first bourbon I liked (and the only one I drank for a long time) was Knob Creek. I always have some around, so it'd be very tough to give up.

Second, JB Black is a great bourbon for introducing newbies to bourbon while still being a great everyday pour.

Third, Beam is responsible for the continued greatness that is OGD BIB.:bowdown:

All that said, God help me if I ever have to go without WT Rye or WT 101.

CrispyCritter
02-02-2007, 22:19
BT is great, but I chose Jim Beam for a few reasons:

Very good points - and let's not forget OGD 114 as well.

Most of my favorites have come from BT, WT, or Beam - but that EWSB 1996 of mine (HH) sure evaporated fast - not to mention the bottles of Rittenhouse BIB (also HH) that have been the backbone of my rye consumption!

full_proof
02-17-2007, 18:35
We're 1-1/2 mos. into this poll and a couple of things really stand out to me:

Beam, with excellent brand recognition and a hefty line-up, garnered a "whopping" 6%!! Unexpected to me.

What does this say? :confused:

JOE

It tells me that most of the folks on SB.com are not your everyday bourbon consumers. They know bourbon. It may be there are more industry folks are here, but most assuredly more serious and well-informed whisk[e]y consumers.

TBoner
02-17-2007, 19:38
It also says to me that Buffalo Trace happens to be doing the sexiest job of producing, bottling, and promoting right now. The BTAC, the repackaging of Eagle Rare, and the relatively recent rollout of BT as a nationally available brand go a long way toward giving them the edge. Beam hasn't done as much promotion of new or newly-repackaged items as BT, nor has anyone else.

Not saying BT doesn't produce great bourbon. I'm just thinking a lot of this has to do with industry trends and the bottlings that are hot items right now.

RedVette
02-28-2007, 15:33
Blantons, Weller, Buffalo Trace, GTS, Elmer T Lee, Sazerac, Eagle Rare; the assortment of Bourbons (whiskey) that I truly enjoy is a longer list at BT than any other Distillery. It would be a sad day if I had to forego the Pappy's, or Rare Breed, or Bakers, or EC 18, or Sam Houston, or Willett, but no other distillery has more than a dozen "must haves" in its quiver.

full_proof
02-28-2007, 21:14
Not saying BT doesn't produce great bourbon. I'm just thinking a lot of this has to do with industry trends and the bottlings that are hot items right now.

Well said. But, respectfully, what exactly are industry trends? Is it nothing more than who is up and who is down? Marketing efforts and a truly superior product are clean different things. The connoisseurs here can tell the difference, hence the vote. I'm not easily, but may be, hoodwinked by marketing techniques. BT is on top of their game, both in quality and marketing.

Catahoula
03-01-2007, 09:29
I didn't vote because I have a business/financial connection, but my vote would have gone to BT and not because of the business/financial connection either - honest! I like their products! A lot! And it looks like you do as well!

I am not as flexible as many of you are here. There is a certain flavor profile I enjoy and since I usually have my whiskey straight over ice, anything very far outside that flavor profile I have a hard time with. The only other brand I have found that comes close and I will accept is Wild Turkey. There are a few others I find acceptable with a mixer, but generally I will avoid them. So, at a party, restaurant, or bar I will look for a BT product first, and often they are not as available as some other brands here in New Orleans. Failing that, I ask for WT. If that isn't available, I drink wine or have something made with vodka. Sorry, but that is the way I am.

Catahoula

smokinjoe
03-01-2007, 10:41
I'm not so sure that we can say that it's BT's marketing efforts that are contributing to this. If marketing were to be a true determiner here, then Brown-Foreman would have much more than 1 vote. I honestly can't recall the last advertisement for any BT product that I have seen. But, B-F's ads for OF and Woodford are very slickly done and have appeared in numerous places. Beam is also strong here.(6 votes) For that matter, in the other elements of marketing (Price, Product, Place) I would say that the only one that BT is a leader in, is product. That's a very good one to be good at by the way.:) Hard to find the BT products that we rave about in alot of markets (except for Old Charter and Weller SR) So, placement isn't very good. Also, pricing is about average, I guess. So, to people like the folks on this forum, who like their bourbon, it's got to be the simply exceptional quality of their products. That's why I voted BT.

Cheers!

JOE

CrispyCritter
03-01-2007, 20:59
I'm not so sure that we can say that it's BT's marketing efforts that are contributing to this. If marketing were to be a true determiner here, then Brown-Foreman would have much more than 1 vote. I honestly can't recall the last advertisement for any BT product that I have seen.

Indeed - I've never seen any ad, whether print, billboard or cable TV, for a BT product, but I've certainly seen them for Beam and Brown-Forman. And then there are the product tie-ins like Jim Beam sunflower seeds and Jack Daniel's mustards (!).

BT's products, on the other hand, quietly but forcefully speak for themselves. They have done a great job with packaging, though (the BTAC bottles, and even more so the Baby Saz bottle, are outstanding) - and their willingness to provide details on how the BTAC bottlings were made, and their willingness to push the envelope with their experimental bottlings, are big points in their favor.

Word of mouth (or internet, nowadays) can count for a hell of a lot, as well!

I have no financial interests in BT, other than being a satisified customer. They get money from me, not the other way around. ;)