PDA

View Full Version : Help me round out my collection

heatmiser
12-08-2006, 10:54
I am more of a scotch whisky and tequila drinker than american whiskey but have quite a few friends that enjoy american whiskey. I want to round out my offering so please help me fill it in with top quality whiskey's to provide to my guests. Here is what I currently have:

Pappy Van Winkle - 20 year
Old Rip Van Winkle - 12 year
Eagle Rare - 10 year SB
Elmer T Lee
George T Stagg - 2006
William Larue Weller - 2006
Makers Mark

I know there are gaps so please help me fill them in to represent the various top offerings...

ILLfarmboy
12-08-2006, 11:07
"Wild turkey Rare breed"- a great high rye bourbon
"OGD BIB" or "OGD 114" - higher (rye) yet from Jim Beam
"Bookers" -flagship brand from Beam, using their standard mashbill

NorCalBoozer
12-08-2006, 11:09
I'd say these for sure:

Bookers and/or Knob Creek
Wild Turkey Rare Breed and/or Kentucky Spirit
WT Rye

jburlowski
12-08-2006, 13:17
I'd second the OGD 114 and one of the WT expressions. Also, if avaialable in your area, Hirsch 16.

Jazzhead
12-08-2006, 13:33
Don't miss these as well:

Elmer T. Lee

Dickel No. 12

Old Forrester

CrispyCritter
12-08-2006, 19:35
It also wouldn't hurt to add some rye whiskeys to the list, subject to availability.
Old Potrero (the 90-proof straight rye that is also a single malt)
Rittenhouse BIB
Sazerac Jr. (the "old-fashioned" bottle)
Sazerac 18yo (part of the BTAC series)
Thomas H. Handy Sazerac (another BTAC)
Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye
Wild Turkey RyeOld Potrero is a special case, though - the 100% malted rye mash makes it very different from typical straight ryes.

T47
12-08-2006, 19:43
I don't think I can offer you any more bottles without a little more personal knowledge about you and the guests you have drop by. I think probably what we need to do here is to find out where you live, and maybe have me come by and discuss this over a few drinks. It appears that you have some "OK" bottles that would at least help me to better assess the situation.
It will be a sacrifice...but I am willing to go the extra mile for you...I think that Stagg or WLW might really inspire me!

Pappy's Friend
12-08-2006, 19:51
I don't think I can offer you any more bottles without a little more personal knowledge about you and the guests you have drop by. I think probably what we need to do here is to find out where you live, and maybe have me come by and discuss this over a few drinks. It appears that you have some "OK" bottles that would at least help me to better assess the situation.
It will be a sacrifice...but I am willing to go the extra mile for you...I think that Stagg or WLW might really inspire me!

If by some chance you're closer to northern California than you are to T47, I'll gladly provide the same service!

mythrenegade
12-08-2006, 23:06
Elijah Craig 18 year old - A way to try another old bourbon at a very reasonable price. Still my favorite pour.

Bookers - Gotta have at least one barrel proof bourbon.

Joel

bluesbassdad
12-08-2006, 23:16
I can't believe no one has mentioned my top shelf favorite, Rock Hill Farms. I've had a couple 2 oz. pours already this evening, and I'm fighting the urge to have third.

It's not available hereabouts, and I'm trying to make it last, but it's hard.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

TimmyBoston
12-09-2006, 06:00
If your bourbon collection is just for guests. I honestly don't think you need anything else. Save your money. That collection is very impressive.

Good luck.

SBOmarc
12-10-2006, 14:23
What Tim Said...

ggilbertva
12-11-2006, 15:04
Ok, so I've started collecting bourbons and have been looking at some of the recommendations. Here's what I have in my "collection"....

WLW 2006
GTS 2006
SAZ 2006
ER-17 2006
Vintage Bourbon 17 (yum)
Old Pogue
Berheim
Evan Williams Single Barrel 10
WT Kentucky Spirit

I'm still pouring through some of the posts. Would appreciate a quick analysis of the above list from some seasoned drinkers. Thanks.

Special Reserve
12-11-2006, 15:49
Well done! It looks like you don't need much help, but anything Van Winkle or Weller is great.

PS. Welcome.

bluesbassdad
12-11-2006, 15:51
My first reaction is that you've taken much of the fun out of the exploration by starting at the top. Only kidding . . . sort of . . .

I guess now the challenge may be to find less expensive bottlings that you like almost as well. On second look, at least the EWSB is what I would consider moderately priced.

Anyway, I heartily recommend Rock Hill Farms. To my taste it's lustier than its stablemate, Blanton's, which sells for a bit more and is in the same league as WT KS.

I also suggest you keep a lookout for any bottling (bourbon or rye) with "Van Winkle" in the name. My current favorite among the bourbons is Pappy Van Winkle 15 y/o, which I like better than the much more expensive 20 y/o (a little too woody for my preference -- in the same vein I like ER SB 10 better than the 17). YMMV, of course.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

ggilbertva
12-12-2006, 12:03
First of all, thanks for the feedback. To be honest, I had pretty much stuck with WT products for a number of years and had not invested much interest, time or $$ into the more premium offerings. What I've found over the last couple of years is that I enjoy a more complex bourbon; one that makes you think about what you're drinking. I enjoy mixing up my selections so I'm not bored with any one brand which is why I've gone after some of the harder to find bourbons. I especially like the Vintage and WLW. My brother has a bottle of the PVW 20 year which was not to my liking. I have not tried the 15 year and will look to try that soon. I actually tried the ER 17 last night and enjoyed the first and last sip.

Cheers

mythrenegade
12-12-2006, 19:53
Your list doesn't include my two favorite bourbons: Elijah Craig 18 yo and Blanton's. Give one or both of them a try.

Joel

ggilbertva
12-13-2006, 06:03
I haven't had the EC 18 but I have had the Blanton's. I just happen to be out at this time. I've been adding to my bourbon collection and now I'm starting to get the fuzzy eyeball from my wife, so will wait on replacing the Blantons at this time.

bluesbassdad
12-13-2006, 12:42
Those are two very interesting choices because, to me, they represent opposite ends of the subtle/assertive scale.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

TnSquire
12-13-2006, 15:19
If it were me I would start hitting some of the low shelf/mid shelf offerings. Some of them are really good, especially for everyday drinks. Some are so good you think they would be special occasoin pours but are so cheap you can drink them everyday. (OGD BIB and VROHH just to name a couple but there are others)

tango-papa
12-16-2006, 08:53
I've been adding to my bourbon collection and now I'm starting to get the fuzzy eyeball from my wife, so will wait on replacing the Blantons at this time.

Ahhh, the "fuzzy eyeball"... :slappin:
Thanks man, that made me laugh out loud!

~tp

ggilbertva
12-16-2006, 19:28
Ok, I lied. I dreaded on thin ice and figured ask for forgiveness rather than ask for permission. So....ignoring the fuzzy eyeball, I picked up a new bottle of ER17, Hirsch 16 and Lot B. Hmmm...good.

CrispyCritter
12-18-2006, 20:03
...I'm starting to get the fuzzy eyeball from my wife...

Y'know, Fuzzy Eyeball would be a great name for a cocktail. :slappin:

ggilbertva
12-19-2006, 19:26
Y'know, Fuzzy Eyeball would be a great name for a cocktail. :slappin:

Well, we have fuzzy navel....why not fuzzy eyeball:grin: