PDA

View Full Version : Least bitter american whiskey

heatmiser
12-08-2006, 11:56
One thing I do not like in my spirits is bitterness. Any recommendations on the least bitter american whiskey's currently available?

photogjunkie
12-08-2006, 12:53
Snag a bottle of Virginia Gentleman...either the 80 proof or the 90 proof Fox. Both are smooth and very drinkable.

Mike R
12-08-2006, 12:59
Heatmiser-

I am a "newby" here, but just started a bottle of Buffalo Trace and after a bottle of wt101 it goes down like Mountain Dew. I am not sure if that's a good thing, but it seems too easy to drink. I think I'll do more research tonight. Will post more on Mon.; good luck in your search.

MikeR

Jazzhead
12-08-2006, 13:30
I'd recommend Dickel No 12; that's the least bitter and easily drinkable American whiskey I know of. I've never tasted the Dickel No 8, which is lower in proof. If you equate drinkability with less alcohol burn, that may be another good one to consider.

melting
12-08-2006, 14:57
Buffalo Trace would be a good choice as my last 3 bottles were almost to the point of being bland. I'd much prefer the Eagle Rare Single Barrel which seems to be just about perfect.

Chris

brian12069
12-08-2006, 17:57
Any Van Winkle product = not bitter

Pappy's Friend
12-08-2006, 19:08
I find any Van Winkle or Weller not bitter.

TimmyBoston
12-09-2006, 00:31
Sorry to say this, but I don't find any decent bourbon bitter. This doesn't include well bourbons,etc.

If you really want a sweet one, I'd look at Mitchener's American Whiskey. Anything but bitter.

TNbourbon
12-09-2006, 08:35
...I'd look at Mitchener's American Whiskey...

Do you mean Michter's?

dougdog
12-09-2006, 08:43
Maybe it would be easier to list the Burbons that one finds, that are bitter...

For me, none come to mind, as I don't mind bitter taste, so I haven't concenrtated on "finding" or "looking for" that particular note while tasting.

I'd be very curious to know which Bourbons/American whiskies are considered to own a bitter note?

Does it come in the nose, the palate or the finish?

Edward_call_me_Ed
12-09-2006, 09:03
Maybe it would be easier to list the Burbons that one finds, that are bitter...

For me none come to mind, as I don't mind bitter taste, so I haven't concenrtated on "finding" or "lookinfg for", that particular note while tasting.

I'd be very curious to know which Bourbons/American whiskies are considered to own a bitter note?

Does it come in the nose, the palate or the finish?

I found the idea that bourbon could be bitter rather hard to understand. However, very old bourbon can be astringent/tannic/woody. Maybe that is what was meant.

Ed

bluesbassdad
12-09-2006, 11:53
Do you mean Michter's?

Isn't he the guy who wrote Hawaii? :grin:

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

cowdery
12-10-2006, 01:04
Maker's Mark actually promotes the fact that everything they do is intended to eliminate bitterness from their whiskey. If not-bitter is primarily what you are looking for, Maker's is hard to beat.

smokinjoe
12-13-2006, 07:27
Isn't he the guy who wrote Hawaii? :grin:

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Gives a whole new meaning to his "The Source". All this time it wasn't water.....Who knew?;)

JOE

brian12069
12-13-2006, 18:06
Sorry to say this, but I don't find any decent bourbon bitter. This doesn't include well bourbons,etc.

If you really want a sweet one, I'd look at Mitchener's American Whiskey. Anything but bitter.

I agree with everything you said here. Most good bourbons are not what I would call bitter. Also, you mention Michters American Whiskey. Not only is that not bitter but isn't that the sweetest whiskey you ever had? So sweet it's unusual. I've never had another whiskey that sweet to this day.