PDA

View Full Version : Eggnog

JeffRenner
12-13-2006, 16:58
It's that time of year again, and since the last eggnog thread has been closed for inactivity for more than a year, I'll start a new one with a pointer (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=50226&postcount=10) to my post from a year ago.

Eggnog is a traditional part of our family's holidays, and I hope you all will check out that long post from a year ago.

Cheers

Jeff

OscarV
12-14-2006, 13:16
I love eggnog and bourbon.
I think Maker's Mark goes best with eggnog.
A local favorite here is Calder's eggnog. I don't know if it is a national brand or not.
Last weekend my sister-in-law came over and knowing my love of bourbon and it being "the season", she brought over a bottle of Evan Williams Original Southern Eggnog.
I was skeptical, but it turned out to be pretty good.
The label states that it has eggnog, EW bourbon, blended whiskey, rum and brandy. 30 proof.
But mixing my own MM with eggnog is still the best.

Gillman
12-15-2006, 10:39
I wonder how that recipe was devised (for the EW eggnog), it seems to cover a lot of bases in the spirits worlds (brandy + rum + whiskey etc.)!

It must have been fun putting it together anyway. :)

Maybe someone thought, some people think eggnog should have rum in it, some think brandy is ideal, and some bourbon, if we put some of each in we'll have a chance to reach all these markets. Maybe it is as simple as that.

Gary

JeffRenner
12-15-2006, 13:38
A local favorite here is Calder's eggnog. I don't know if it is a national brand or not.

I think it's a Detroit area diary with limited distribution.

I haven't had Calder's, but in general I can't stand commercial so-called eggnog. The ingredients typically include high fructose corn syrup and carageenen gum or other thickeners.

NPR's Sunday Weekend Edition had a great interview (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6597856) with Alton Brown on eggnog this past Sunday. He had some pithy comments on commercial eggnog, and some good tips on making your own.

He also was (properly, I think) insistent on using freshly ground nutmeg. As he said, why use ground stuff? This is true of any ground spice, I think, although some, like cinnamon, keep better than others, like coriander, which is about as tasteless as sawdust after a month or two.

Jeff

NeoTexan
12-15-2006, 14:50
He also was (properly, I think) insistent on using freshly ground nutmeg. As he said, why use ground stuff? This is true of any ground spice, I think, although some, like cinnamon, keep better than others, like coriander, which is about as tasteless as sawdust after a month or two.

Jeff

Actually, what we buy ground in the little jars is cassia, a close relative of cinnamon. I use a quill of true cinnamon and what a difference it makes!

cowdery
12-18-2006, 23:20
The earliest egg nog recipes, and recipes for similar dairy-based punches, called for brandy, then rum, sometimes both, and only more recently bourbon. The Evan Williams product seems to do very well. The Jewel supermarket in my neighborhood always has big stackings of EW Egg Nog and Christian Brothers Brandy (also a Heaven Hill product) at this time of year.

AVB
12-19-2006, 04:09
This is George Washington Eggnog. The recipe was take from Mt. Vernon itself and is really good as attested to by a number of people on other boards where I've posted this.

1 pint brandy
1/2 pint rye whiskey
1/2 pint Jamaica rum
1/4 pint sherry
8 eggs
12 Tbsp sugar
1 qt milk
1 qt heavy cream

Mix liquors first, then separate yolks and whites of eggs. Beat yolks and add sugar, mixing well. Add liquor to mixture slowly, continuing to beat. Add milk and cream, slowly beating. Beat whites of eggs until stiff and fold slowly into mixture. Chill thoroughly.

Ubertaster
12-19-2006, 06:20
Hello Jeff. I brewed up your recipe of Egg Nog last night and it is a winner. I will be bringing this to our family Christmas Party. Thanks.

bj

JeffRenner
12-20-2006, 10:47
Hello Jeff. I brewed up your recipe of Egg Nog last night and it is a winner. I will be bringing this to our family Christmas Party. Thanks.

I'm really pleased to hear that. I love spreading dad's old recipe and its story.

We're going to have it again this year out here in L.A. with our daughter and son-in-law (and our new granddaughter:grin: ). Our son and d-i-l are coming down here from east-central Neveda for the Rose Bowl, as is my brother-in-law and nephew.

You know we'll drink a toast to my dad with his eggnog!

Jeff

Old Lamplighter
12-22-2006, 23:46
At the risk of being accused of the high crime of bourbon misuse and abuse, I took the liberty this evening of creating Stagg Nogg. :skep:

It turned out very, very good in comparison to several other bourbon & egg nog combinations I have tried this year and in past years at holiday time. I was pleasantly surprised. If you have an ample supply of Stagg, give it a try. If not, I would advise you to save it for the purer form of Stagg enjoyment - neat or with a little water.

Special Reserve
12-23-2006, 09:46
Calder's is a private local southeast Michigan dairy that has superb products.

The eggnog is about $9.00/quart and is so thick I think you can almost cut it with a knife. Of course cutting it with good bourbon and some fresh nutmeg is best.

Here is a link to their web site.

http://www.calderdairy.com/

OscarV
12-23-2006, 09:51
I got a bottle of Calder Bros yesterday, $8.59 qt at Busch's in Saline, and yeah you are right it is thick.
I poured some in a rocks glass and then added the bourbon and it sat on top of the egg nog.

Special Reserve
12-25-2006, 07:36
Yes it does, you actually need to mix it. This is one of the few times I use my professional chemistry training these days.

Merry Christmas.

cas
12-31-2006, 12:25
I got a bottle of Calder Bros yesterday, $8.59 qt at Busch's in Saline, and yeah you are right it is thick.
I poured some in a rocks glass and then added the bourbon and it sat on top of the egg nog.

Probably too late to find some now but I'll look for it next year. I moved to Saline in July and this is our regular grocery store. I'm still discovering the local products - additional suggestions are welcome.
Craig

Special Reserve
12-31-2006, 14:48
You might be able to find it at Hiller's or Busch's if you have either in Saline.

cas
11-19-2007, 12:44
Has anybody spotted the Calder's eggnog yet this year?
Craig

OscarV
11-19-2007, 15:12
Has anybody spotted the Calder's eggnog yet this year?
Craig

cas you Dog,...but I have to admit I have been thinking about it.
I bought a bottle of Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 Year Old the last time I was in Chicago and I am holding it to mix with Calder's Egg Nog.

Special Reserve
11-19-2007, 16:20
I have not seen Calder's Eggnog in the stores yet this season. I don't recall seeing it before Thanksgiving in the past.

For those not in SE MI, this is a local dairy farm that has its own store and also sells some products to local grocery stores. It is the best most calorie and cholesterol laden eggnog I've ever had. It is a treat with either bourbon or rum and some nutmeg.

mier
11-20-2007, 01:53
Strange to notice that eggnog (advocaat as we call it) is a seasonal drink in the States,in Holland it is a part of the everyday life used as dessert,in a cocktail or in pies.Traditionally it is made here with brandy sugar vanilla and chickeneggyolks,some recipes give extras like hazelnuts,chocolate or gooseeggs or even quailseggs.The drink was usually given to women that just had a baby to recover their strength again but with a lot of medicinal potions,they tasted good even if you weren`t sick or recovering.Every shop has a big assortment of brands and varieties.To make it with anything else rather than brandy is strange to me but worth a try.
Eric.

cas
11-20-2007, 09:22
It is the best most calorie and cholesterol laden eggnog I've ever had.

So it bypasses the digestive tract altogether and just lodges right in the coronary artery? It must be tasty!
Craig

Special Reserve
11-20-2007, 15:14
Depending upon your physiology, it may not end up in your coronary artery.

This is very thick eggnog, I think it must be diluted with bourbon or rum.

ACDetroit
11-20-2007, 17:54
I have to agree with Will this stuff pours like wet plaster and coats the stomache the same way. I was raised with the Calder's truck delivering milk to our milk box as a kid. Their stuff is of the highest of quality!!

Hey Oscar you bringing the Calder's Saturday??

For anyone in the Michigan, Northern Ohio areas? PM me if you're not doing the after Thanksgiving sales a small group of us will be doing some tasting!!

Tony

OscarV
11-23-2007, 08:24
I made a couple of calls today.
Coleman's Farm Market in Ypsilanti and Busch's in Saline.
Both had no Calder's Egg Nog.
Busch's said, "hopefully Monday."

Hey Tony, I'll be there but without the Calder's.

polyamnesia
11-23-2007, 15:38
i've often thought eggnog is great...but being a bourbon drinker, it's a real conundrum putting the two together. when it good it's GOOD!

but what quality bourbon to put in? i can't bear to put my WT (any bottling) in....JB? a quality mid-shelf whiskey?

right now, still wondering how best to use this friggin' bottle of Heaven Hill...should i mix it with my new quart of Southern Comfort Eggnog (bought at the grocery story)? or will the HH ruin the eggnog....

i am NOT a cocktail drinker...but i enjoy a bloody mary, mimosa or eggnog when the season demands it...yeah, even a crown and coke!

but i HAD to counter that odd HH rag/cabbage taste/smell and made a BITTER LEMON mix with it...man, that taste still crept thru...

o should i give HH a shot in my eggnog!!???:rolleyes:

TBoner
11-23-2007, 17:24
WT and Old Charter are both great. I don't really like straight rye in egg nog. Nor do I like a wheater. While OC and WT are some of my favorites neat, I don't have anything against using 'em in egg nog. If I'm going to the trouble of making homemade nog, I ain't skimping on the whiskey.

OscarV
11-23-2007, 19:18
I have never used anything but a wheater in egg nog.
Very Special Old Fitzgerald and Maker's Mark are the only I have tried.
I think this year I will try some of the 8 year old Wild Turkey 101 I got at Duty Free.

TBoner
11-24-2007, 15:32
Maybe I should give VSOF or MM a shot. I don't have either right now, but could pick one of the two up. Weller 107 is a bit too caramel apple flavored, and Weller SR isn't something I keep around. I haven't tried a S-W wheater. VSOF and MM are inexpensive enough to take the risk, I think.

gr8erdane
11-25-2007, 04:12
Something you should remember as a rule of thumb when mixing bourbon with eggnog or anything else for that matter. The better the bourbon the better the drink. Period. I thought you guys would have figured that out by now!

cowdery
11-27-2007, 19:05
Egg nog is from a very early Northern European tradition that predates the common availability of distilled spirits and was originally made with ale. I've not come across a tradition of using scotch whiskey in egg nog. In the UK, like the Netherlands, it's usually brandy, maybe rum. Brandy and rum figure in a lot of recipes here too, with some calling for both, but lots of people make it with bourbon and several bourbon-makers sell pre-mixes at this time of year.

The fall holidays are when many Americans reach back into the heritages they came from to pluck out a food, drink or other tradition. I wouldn't say people here exclusively drink it during the holidays, but certainly most of it is consumed during the winter. Can you imagine drinking egg nog in July?

Southern Comfort is a good alcohol for egg nog.

mier
11-28-2007, 02:32
Well Chuck i can because we do.Eggnog is used troughout the year,being used in desserts,cakes,chocolate filling, cocktails or straight.Here it is not a seasonal drink but the consistancy of our eggnog is thicker and indeed brandy is used or sometimes rum but never whiskies or gin.It is an easy to make drink and in Holland there are a lot of varieties in taste or structure but vanilla is one of the main ingredients always used.I didn`t know the origin was European always thought that it came from the Caribbean where colonists made a drink using avocado as ingredient and as they went back to Europe they try to make this drink with the ingredients that were locally available.Avocado explains the Dutch name for Advocaat in that way.
Eric.

whiskydude
12-05-2007, 20:21
I am looking forward to trying out this recipe and have gathered up the necessary ingredients. A couple of quick questions.
About how much will this make and how long would you advise to keep it after it's made(refrigerated)? I am the only nog drinker in the house so it may have to keep for a day or two.

Thanks

CrashRiley
12-06-2007, 14:05
For 50 years, my boss's father gave thie recipe out to his customers:

32 oz. generic non-alcoholic egg nog (i.e. Safeway brand)
6 oz. Bourbon
2 oz. Brandy

I would guess that this yields 10 servings.

Not fancy, but sure sounds good to me.

cas
12-06-2007, 17:14
The Calders has arrived at Busch's. There's a bottle in the frig waiting for some bourbon and nutmeg.
Craig

cowdery
12-07-2007, 16:53
Here is the official Jim Beam egg nog recipe. I'm not sure what the straining step is for, unless it is to catch any egg bits that may have cooked. I just now happened upon this and have never made it, so it is provided without endorsement.

You'll need
• 3/4 cup Jim Beam® Bourbon
• 6 large egg yolks
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 2 1/2 cups milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a medium saucepan. Slowly beat in 2 cups of milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until your thermometer registers 150 degrees, or until the mixture coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from heat and strain into a container. Stir in the remaining milk, Jim Beam® Bourbon, vanilla and nutmeg.

Cover and chill overnight, or at least eight hours. Sprinkle with more nutmeg if desired. Makes 6-8 servings.

craigthom
12-09-2007, 13:39
Yes, the straining is to get out any bits of egg that manage to curdle and the little support pieces that hold the yolk in the middle of the egg (I forget the name). It's not necessary, but it's a nice little touch when making any custard.

A better technique would be to scald the dairy separately while beating together the egg yolks and sugar to the ribbon stage, then mix the two, being careful to temper the eggs with small amounts of hot dairy first. There should be enough heat in the dairy to get the whole thing up to the target temperature. If not the whole thing can be heated slowly over a double boiler.

NorCalBoozer
12-10-2007, 15:00
Maybe I should give VSOF or MM a shot. I don't have either right now, but could pick one of the two up. Weller 107 is a bit too caramel apple flavored, and Weller SR isn't something I keep around. I haven't tried a S-W wheater. VSOF and MM are inexpensive enough to take the risk, I think.

This weekend I had Eagle Rare SB/egg nog with cinnamon sprinkled on top. I can report that it was exception.

Greg

Sloop
12-11-2007, 05:57
I picked up a bottle of Evan Williams Egg nog at CVS last night. Really excellent flavor. 15% alcohol and only $7 a bottle....

Now I don't have to make my own.....

cowdery
12-11-2007, 21:22
Thanks for that, Sloop. I would enjoy hearing opinions of the various alcohol-in egg nogs from the different bourbon brands, although I'm not quite sure who else makes one.

I've noticed every year that the Evan Williams egg nog does a big holiday business at my neighborhood Jewel-Osco (a local supermarket/drugstore chain in Chicagoland), as does Christian Brothers Egg Nog. (Christian Brothers brandy is also a Heaven Hill product.)

Empty Glass
12-12-2007, 14:49
I thought that the EW egg nog was really good also. I thought that at such a low price even if it had been awful it would be worth a try. I was quite surprised that it was that good. I had to drink it all to keep it away from the kids.

whiskydude
12-12-2007, 19:00
Well, I made my nog last Sun night and it was excellent!! I used the recipe more toward the beginning of the thread with 6 eggs seperated 1/2 cup sugar in the yolks 1/4 cup in the whites etc... We used 3 oz of Appleton estates v/x rum and 3 oz of MM. I didn't want to use anything more expensive in case it didn't turn out well. Such was not the case. The whites were beaten to within an inch of their lives and they gave it a lightness you don't find in store brands. It made enough for myself and 2 others to have 2 good sized mugs each. Oh, don't forget to buy nutmeg. I knew I had most everything so I shopped from memory and forgot it. We used cinnamon which worked out ok. There was a faint flavor of alcohol to the nog, but it wasn't really discernible. So if you like more specific bourbon flavor I would add a bit more and subtract from the rum. I plan to make more over the holidays and impress the in-laws! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

cas
12-15-2007, 13:35
Thanks for that, Sloop. I would enjoy hearing opinions of the various alcohol-in egg nogs from the different bourbon brands, although I'm not quite sure who else makes one.

I've noticed every year that the Evan Williams egg nog does a big holiday business at my neighborhood Jewel-Osco (a local supermarket/drugstore chain in Chicagoland), as does Christian Brothers Egg Nog. (Christian Brothers brandy is also a Heaven Hill product.)

The Evan Williams is pretty good. Better than the Christian Brothers, I think.
Though not as good as home made or decent fresh dairy with bourbon/rum/brandy added.
Craig

cowdery
12-15-2007, 17:05
That's very interesting because I suspect the egg nog base is the same (both made by Heaven Hill) with the only difference being the spirit. Clearly, you prefer good bourbon to low grade brandy.

cas
12-19-2007, 11:19
That's very interesting because I suspect the egg nog base is the same (both made by Heaven Hill) with the only difference being the spirit. Clearly, you prefer good bourbon to low grade brandy.

It's been a year since I had both. But there was no confusing them - they were very distinct.
I probably prefer good bourbon to mid or high grade brandy.
Craig

cas
12-22-2007, 04:34
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/23/magazine/23food-t.html

An article and recipe in the NY Times.
Craig

TnSquire
12-22-2007, 08:41
Has anyone tried Four Roses recipe yet?

mml
12-22-2007, 16:09
Jeff,

Thanks for posting your recipe for us all to enjoy. Made a half batch tonight (Gosling's 151 rum and OGD BIB) and it's great! (A bit stiff with that high proof liquor, though ;) My wife and I each had a glass as we trimmed the tree, and we're working through the rest as we watch a film.

We're definitely making more on Christmas.

Take care,

-Matt

gothbat
12-24-2007, 12:12
For 50 years, my boss's father gave thie recipe out to his customers:

32 oz. generic non-alcoholic egg nog (i.e. Safeway brand)
6 oz. Bourbon
2 oz. Brandy

I would guess that this yields 10 servings.

Not fancy, but sure sounds good to me.

Being lazy and worried about salmonella this is pretty much what I'm going to do! I hope it's good, it sounds good! Thanks. I bought E&J VSOP but I'm not sure what kind of bourbon I will use yet, perhaps the W.L. Weller Special Reserve I just got.

~JM~
12-27-2007, 18:32
I tried it and like it, thanks.

HipFlask
12-27-2007, 19:10
Well, Jeff my family thanks you for you Dad's recipe. I used OF Signature and spiced rum and it was a hit. Makin a double batch for New Years to be shared with friends and neighbors. This time with ER 10yr 1B. The tradition continues.

OscarV
12-11-2008, 13:04
Ho! Ho! Ho!
It's back!!!
Calder Egg Nog is back on the streets.
I picked up a plastic quart for $5.99,
they also had this years edition of the glass quart for $9.49.

cas
12-11-2008, 14:39
Ho! Ho! Ho!
they also had this years edition of the glass quart for $9.49.

That's the one that's in our fridge. I didn't see a cheaper one. And there's no deposit on the glass one either...
Craig

shoshani
12-11-2008, 22:32
Has anyone tried Four Roses recipe yet?

The Four Roses recipe seems to be awfully strong (one pint of FR, plus an amount of Myers's Rum...or at least that's what was called for decades ago).

Self-proclaimed Cocktail King Dale DeGroff says that his great-uncle Angelo was the person whose recipe won a Four Roses contest; the original "Uncle Angelo's Eggnog", however, calls for 6 oz of bourbon (1 oz per eggnog serving, a perfectly reasonable amount) and 3 oz of dark rum; the other ingredients are the same proportions. Obviously Frankfort Distillers needed to move some whiskey, and FR came in pint bottles. :D

barturtle
12-11-2008, 23:43
The Four Roses recipe seems to be awfully strong (one pint of FR, plus an amount of Myers's Rum...or at least that's what was called for decades ago).

Self-proclaimed Cocktail King Dale DeGroff says that his great-uncle Angelo was the person whose recipe won a Four Roses contest; the original "Uncle Angelo's Eggnog", however, calls for 6 oz of bourbon (1 oz per eggnog serving, a perfectly reasonable amount) and 3 oz of dark rum; the other ingredients are the same proportions. Obviously Frankfort Distillers needed to move some whiskey, and FR came in pint bottles. :D

Looking at the recipe on the FR site, it seems that the alcohol is within reason. The recipe makes 5 pints which is 10 8oz servings with a 16 oz pint of whiskey and 1oz of rum...so 1.7 oz of liquor per serving.

JeffRenner
12-15-2008, 16:56
It does my heart good to see this thread renewed.

Well, actually, it probably doesn't do my heart any good, at least the coronary arteries, to drink egg nog. But I thank you all in memory of my father, whose recipe, a descendant of the original Four Roses one, started this thread.

Cheers to all for the holidays!

Jeff

JeffRenner
12-19-2008, 20:26
The NPR show Science Friday has a video (http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp4?http://media.libsyn.com/media/sciencefriday/eggnog-121908.mp4) on the safety of using raw eggs in spiked eggnog. Fun video, although the results were inconclusive.

Jeff

OscarV
11-20-2009, 12:08
YES!!
It's back!
Calder Eggnog has made it's welcomed appearance early this year.
I picked some up at Bush's in Saline and having some mixed with WLWeller Centennial right now, as they say, sweets for the sweet.:rolleyes:

cigarnv
11-21-2009, 02:33
Ah... Eggnog. I have tried numerous recipes, the best of which are all pretty similiar..... eggs , sugar, cream, booze. The major variant seems to be the % of booze which runs from 10% to as high as 55% in some recipes I have tried.

IMO what makes a major difference in flavor is aging. I typically age mine for 6 - 8 weeks.... drinking it through the holiday season from Thanksgiving through New Years. When first made the flavors are easy to identify... eggs, cream, sugar, booze. As the brew ages the flavors meld, the consistency thickens and the mouth feel becomes very silky.

I use at least 20-25% alcohol and store the eggnog in the fridge below 40F. I would not recommend aging an alcohol free eggnog.

MarkEdwards
11-21-2009, 12:55
Finally found the Evan Williams eggnog today. Put it in the fridge for tasting later tonight.

George
11-21-2009, 13:08
I was tempted to pick up some eggnog today, but I passed. I am craving it, so I will probably get some very soon. I'll most likely go for the non-alcoholic vesion and add some liquor (bourbon, of course) to make it my own.

MarkEdwards
11-21-2009, 15:32
I am in heaven! Just cracked open the Evan Williams eggnog. It beats the pants off the Pennsylvania Dutch eggnog.

Thank you, Bettye Jo and friends!

spun_cookie
11-24-2009, 21:03
Ah... Eggnog. I have tried numerous recipes, the best of which are all pretty similiar..... eggs , sugar, cream, booze. The major variant seems to be the % of booze which runs from 10% to as high as 55% in some recipes I have tried.

IMO what makes a major difference in flavor is aging. I typically age mine for 6 - 8 weeks.... drinking it through the holiday season from Thanksgiving through New Years. When first made the flavors are easy to identify... eggs, cream, sugar, booze. As the brew ages the flavors meld, the consistency thickens and the mouth feel becomes very silky.

I use at least 20-25% alcohol and store the eggnog in the fridge below 40F. I would not recommend aging an alcohol free eggnog.

What alc do you use Reid?

cigarnv
11-25-2009, 03:44
What alc do you use Reid?

Em, good morning. I tend to use rye based bourbons... as of late I have really liked the 4 Roses yellow label. I also have used and liked EW black, Barton and WT. I like the lower proofs for nog.

As for brandy I have always used Christian Brothers as it has decent flavor and is reasonably priced. On the rum side I use a rum that I would be happy drinking neat such as a Mount Gay, Appleton or FdC.

Jono
11-25-2009, 09:48
http://graphic-design.tjs-labs.com/show-picture?id=1216144648

shoshani
11-26-2009, 08:24
Just on a lark this morning, I took some grocery-store brand commercial eggnog, poured about 8 oz into a mug, then added (unmeasured) a dollop of Baby Saz and a slightly smaller dollop of WT Rye.

Eggnog + rye whiskey = liquid bliss.

ODaniel
11-28-2009, 23:53
I am in heaven! Just cracked open the Evan Williams eggnog. It beats the pants off the Pennsylvania Dutch eggnog.

Thank you, Bettye Jo and friends!

I was wondering if this was any good. We have a ton of it at the store, and it's $7.50.

I need to experiment to make a good eggnog recipe.

HipFlask
11-29-2009, 19:00
I just made up a batch of the Renner Family recipe eggnog for this season. This is the first time I have made it so early but I heard that giving it some time to "age" really allows the ingredients to meld together.

Thanks again Jeff.

funknik
11-30-2009, 04:19
Just on a lark this morning, I took some grocery-store brand commercial eggnog, poured about 8 oz into a mug, then added (unmeasured) a dollop of Baby Saz and a slightly smaller dollop of WT Rye.

Eggnog + rye whiskey = liquid bliss.

I mixed a couple eggnoggs with some Baby Saz for my Dad & Grandma -- they both claimed it was best eggnogg they ever had -- I sent my Dad home with the remainder of the Baby Saz for his future eggnogg pleasure.

Bourbon Geek
11-30-2009, 07:50
Back in December 2005, Alton Brown did an episode of his "Good Eats" show entitled "The School of Hard Noggs" ... below are the links to part 1 and part 2 of this episode. Not only does he make a great Egg Nog, but he explains the technical stuff behind it as well....

The recipe is worth trying ... even if you substitute another bourbon for the Maker's Mark ... although I do think it's worth trying as is ... at least once.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikTLT_6y2gg&feature=PlayList&p=EDE1A385391555BC&index=24

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqAqkK44Qc8&feature=PlayList&p=EDE1A385391555BC&index=25

This isn't meant to be self-serving ... even though I am in the episode ... (although it was quite fun) ... just thought the recipe is worth a go...

IronHead
12-01-2009, 15:30
Last night I had the pleasure of meeting Hecti1, CajunKY, Barturtle and CubaCroc at Bourbons Bistro here in L'ville. We got to talking with the owner who Timothy and Charles seem to know pretty well. He gave us samples of some eggnog he made with William Larue Weller...OH. MY. GOD that stuff was incredible.

smokinjoe
12-01-2009, 16:24
Ah man....Ya'll got me to get a hankerin' for some eggnog, now. I've been fighting the urge. I'm heading to Publix to pick up my Borden Eggnog in the can. I always get the can, as that's what we always had as a kid. Hmmm, WLW in the nog, you say Iron. OK, that's what it will be.

bonneamie
12-01-2009, 19:21
Stop Joe, stop!! I too was lured by this discussion to buy some commercial eggnog and try it with some bourbon. Ugh! the stuff I got was way too sweet and cloying. I have to cleanse the taste out with some Straight Bourbon.

smokinjoe
12-01-2009, 19:42
Stop Joe, stop!! I too was lured by this discussion to buy some commercial eggnog and try it with some bourbon. Ugh! the stuff I got was way too sweet and cloying. I have to cleanse the taste out with some Straight Bourbon.

Screeeeeeeeeeeeeech!!!! OK...puff...pufff....I'm stopped....puffff...puffff. Amy, I'm lured by the idea of making my nog from scratch, but doesn't it seem like a lot of trouble to make the real stuff? Plus, I really, really, really, like opening the Borden's can with the can opener. When's the last time you used the pointy end of a can opener? Huh?...HUUUHHHH??!! (You can probably tell that I'm easily amused...) :D And, Elsie is so cute. I've read here about your "Calder's?" that ya'll get up in the Mitten. Unfortunately, we can't get that Down South, here. Sooooooooooooooooooooo, I'm back off to Publix for the Borden's! :D

And, if it ain't good....Heck, even if it's GREAT....I'll probably cleanse with straight bourbon, anyways!! :)

OscarV
12-02-2009, 13:05
I've read here about your "Calder's?" that ya'll get up in the Mitten.

No we get a lot of varieties, but after Calder's you'll never drink another.:grin:

HipFlask
12-02-2009, 13:46
Ok Joe. Please proceed either with the can and mixing bourbon of your choice. I would recomend lower shelf bourbon but you can certainly do it any way you want. Making it from scratch is quite easy. Seperating the eggs being the hardest part after that is just a matter of mixing it all together. Follow Mr. Renner's recipe at the start of this thread. You will find that there is quite a differnce in homemade vs. factory made. Go for it! Good luck and happy holidays.

Special Reserve
12-02-2009, 15:44
I've read here about your "Calder's?" that ya'll get up in the Mitten. Unfortunately, we can't get that Down South, here. Sooooooooooooooooooooo, I'm back off to Publix for the Borden's!

Calder's is a local dairy that offers a variety dairy products. I'm sure if you look you'll find dairy products for a local dairy near you. Calder's is not the only one just one that offers more "old-fashioned" style of products. In Livonia, I can get their milk and eggnog is glass bottles if I wanted.

bonneamie
12-02-2009, 19:20
I must confess that I didn't buy Calders (duh, why not) and got instead some other brand and lo-fat at that. It was over-flavored with nutmeg or something similar. I'll have to find some stray cats to feed it to and go buy the good stuff.

Special Reserve
12-03-2009, 03:02
...some other brand and lo-fat at that.

Lo-fat, Amy say it isn't so.

I'll have very little eggnog during the year but I want either Guernsey or Calder.

ErichPryde
12-03-2009, 04:20

Would you mind posting the recipe that you like the most?

MarkEdwards
12-24-2009, 03:07
I found the perfect use for that bottle of ORVW10 that I don't care for - eggnog mixer! I add 2-3 ounces (per 60z glass) to the eggnog, and it is perfect.

IronHead
12-28-2009, 17:55
Better late than never, I suppose. Here's the recipe I used:

12 eggs, separated
2 cups heavy cream
6 cups whole milk
1.5 cups sugar
2 teasoons vanilla (I used bourbon barrel aged)
2 cups bourbon ( I used OWA age stated)
Freshly grated nutmeg to taste

In an electric mixer combine the egg yolks and sugar, beat for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the sugar is dissoved and the mixture reaches the "ribbon" stage

Turn the mixer speed to low and slowly add the bourbon and vanilla. Add the milk then place mixture covered in the refrigerator until ready for service.

About 30 minutes prior to serving, using a clean bowl and mixer beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. In another bowl whip the cream to stiff peaks. Fold the cream into the yolk-milk mixture followed by doing the same with the egg whites.

Serve chilled. Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.

ACDetroit
12-28-2009, 18:09
My parents are in town and we were driving past Calder's in Lincoln Park today they have a sign on the window stating their egg nog is a 56 year tradition so we stopped and grabbed some. The fridge was empty but the guy out back said he just finished a fresh batch.

Mom, Dad and myself treated ourselves to a nice pour with some Lot B! Just wonderful! I can not think of a better way to wrap up the evening !

Nice post Mike, I may have to try that since Calders is seasonal.

Tony

emr454
01-04-2010, 13:16
I just whipped up a batch of eggnog using a recipe I found on allrecipes.com. It tastes more like ice cream than eggnog, but that's ok with me.

Eric

IronHead
01-05-2010, 15:52
I just whipped up a batch of eggnog using a recipe I found on allrecipes.com. It tastes more like ice cream than eggnog, but that's ok with me.

Eric

You must not have put enough booze in it :)

emr454
01-05-2010, 18:01
You must not have put enough booze in it :)

Yea, I didn't put any in it yet!

I made it without any alcohol so I could have some by itself if the mood strikes me, and one can add their booze of choice as needed. The only thing is, it isn't "custardy" like the store bought nog. Not that that's a bad thing, but adding booze to what essentially is melted vanilla ice cream may taste a bit strange. I suppose there's only one way to find out for sure :cool:

Eric

IronHead
01-06-2010, 09:41
Eric,

There are two things you can do for that "custardy" feel for you eggnog. First, you can make what is known as a 'boiled custard' instead of a traditional eggnog. With this method you heat the egg yolks and some of the milk to about 165-170 degrees while stirring constantly. This cooks the egg yolks without scrambling them which in turn thickens your finished product.

Second, check out the recipe I posted about a page ago in this thread. By separately whipping the cream and the eggwhites and folding them into the mixture you'll get a consistency that is thick, but airy. The only thing is that the air will eventually 'fall' out of your egg whites and whipped cream so it is best to do this as close to service time as possible.

And if you can force yourself, make it with the booze already in it. It really is delicious and tastes a lot less like ice cream even though the ingredients are virtually the same.

emr454
01-06-2010, 11:32
Here is a link to the recipe I used:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Christmas-Creamy-Egg-Nog/Detail.aspx

When I made it I did heat the yolks and the sweetened condensed milk over low heat until it reached 160F. I'm thinking the texture is different because this one calls for sweetened condensed milk instead of heavy cream or half and half. Next time I have some heavy cream I will try again.

Eric

OscarV
01-06-2010, 13:35
I tought it be interesting to see this magazine ad from 1967 with some great looking eggnog and 4R's blended.

loneranger84
08-24-2010, 13:29
For those of you who might not be as familiar with your rums as your bourbons, Coruba Dark would be an excellent dark Jamaican rum (instead of, say, Myers's). Much smoother and tasty to boot. A middle-shelf dark Jamiacan that you could drink straight if necessity dictated. If that's not available, Appleton V/X is good, although it is a gold Jamaican rum. You might have to add more to taste. Cool thread!

OscarV
08-24-2010, 13:37
This is cool, the eggnog thread got a bump in August.
And speaking of eggnog I made something special with it recentley.
I saw a TV show on the cooking channel where this lady made waffels by cutting the milk down and topping it off with eggnog.
I was looking for some half-n-half at the store and I saw eggnog, I couldn't belive it. The date was OK, expires in Sept so I got some.
I don't have a waffel iron so I whipped up some pancakes.
The recipe called for 1 1/2 cups of milk, I used 1 cup milk and a 1/2 cup eggnog.
The batter tasted great, when you flipped the pancakes you could smell the eggnog.
Add maple syrup and applewood smoke bacon and it was heaven.

SBOmarc
08-24-2010, 14:07
This is cool, the eggnog thread got a bump in August.
And speaking of eggnog I made something special with it recentley.
I saw a TV show on the cooking channel where this lady made waffels by cutting the milk down and topping it off with eggnog.
I was looking for some half-n-half at the store and I saw eggnog, I couldn't belive it. The date was OK, expires in Sept so I got some.
I don't have a waffel iron so I whipped up some pancakes.
The recipe called for 1 1/2 cups of milk, I used 1 cup milk and a 1/2 cup eggnog.
The batter tasted great, when you flipped the pancakes you could smell the eggnog.
Add maple syrup and applewood smoke bacon and it was heaven.

Nice recipe Oscar...everyone now.."It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas"...BTW...106 degrees in my neighborhood today!

JeffRenner
11-30-2010, 06:14
It's that time of year again, and since the last eggnog thread has been closed for inactivity for more than a year, I'll start a new one with a pointer (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=50226&postcount=10) to my post from a year ago.

Eggnog is a traditional part of our family's holidays, and I hope you all will check out that long post from a year ago.

Time to bump this seasonal topic. It's been a good thread, and newer members might enjoy reading it all, as well as the previous one pointed to above, to get in the eggnog mood.

Cheers

Jeff

OscarV
11-30-2010, 12:53
Jeff, I thought you died.
Where ya been?
Are you sure this is really you?

flintlock
11-30-2010, 15:25
By the way, the new Evan Williams bourbon eggnog gets two big thumbs up from my wife, a true eggnog lover and expert. She said "THAT'S what it's supposed to tasted like!"

JeffRenner
12-02-2010, 06:17
Where ya been?
:lol: Just not spending as much time here as before. Thanks for your concern!

BrianBradford
12-02-2010, 08:17
I am having a hard time finding the EW Eggnog though. Everytime I visit, they are sold out or have a couple bottles on hold for someone else. Its looking like I might not get any this year! :shocked:

OscarV
12-02-2010, 12:50
Had my first Calder's eggnog and bourbon on Thanksgiving night, thanks to my sister-in-law.
No reason to make your own when Calder's is available.

Josh
12-02-2010, 13:34
Where ya been?

:lol: Just not spending as much time here as before. Thanks for your concern!

I assumed his house had gone into foreclosure after paying those prices at A & L!:lol:

dean_martin
12-02-2010, 14:14
The new Knob Creek gift pack with flask has an eggnog recipe on the box. I've never done eggnog myself, but this year I'm going to try it. I might start with something simple like that Calder's Oscar recommends so all I have to do is add bourbon.

OscarV
12-02-2010, 14:26
I might start with something simple like that Calder's Oscar recommends so all I have to do is add bourbon.

As an Alabama Brother I offer you some Calder's Egg Nog.
I'll dry ice it and ship it down to you, IF you ship me up some 'Bama sunshine and warm weather.

cowdery
12-02-2010, 16:08
Since Heaven Hill also makes the Christian Brothers Egg Nog, I wonder if it's the exact same nog, just switching brandy for bourbon for the Evan Williams.

To me, egg nog is like deep fried bacon and for the same reason: so good and yet so wrong.

dean_martin
12-03-2010, 09:41
As an Alabama Brother I offer you some Calder's Egg Nog.
I'll dry ice it and ship it down to you, IF you ship me up some 'Bama sunshine and warm weather.

I suspect a video or picture won't do. Here, it's in the mid 60s and sunny today with a light breeze. Too bad I'm stuck in the office.

texascarl
12-05-2010, 16:45
Butterscotch Scotch Eggnog

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/08/dining/08apperex.html?ref=dining

2 large eggs, separated
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus pinch
2 cups whole milk
1 cup smoky Scotch whisky
1/2 cup brandy
2 cups heavy cream
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
Grated nutmeg.

1. In a large bowl, combine the yolks, brown sugar, vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Using an electric mixer beat on medium-high speed until thick and dark golden, about 3 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and slowly drizzle in the milk, Scotch and brandy. Transfer to the freezer to chill while preparing the rest of the eggnog. (Or refrigerate for at least 2 hours before completing.)

2. In a medium bowl, whip the cream on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Set aside. In another medium bowl, using clean beaters, whip the egg whites and pinch of salt on medium-high speed, adding the sugar by tablespoons until soft peaks form.

3. When ready to serve, pour the yolk mixture into a large punchbowl. Fold in a small amount of whipped cream to lighten it, then fold in the remaining cream. Fold in the egg whites. Generously dust the top with nutmeg; serve immediately.

Yield: 12 servings.

------------

It occurs to me that you could sub. 4 cups of half-and-half for the 2 cups of cream, 2 cups whole milk.

nblair
12-14-2010, 14:57
Has anyone received their Four Roses Christmas Card yet? It includes Jeff's recipe and a picture of the 1934 Four Roses ad highlighting the recipe as well. Must be a great one to have been carried on so many years. I have plans to make it this Christmas Eve!

HipFlask
12-26-2010, 06:01
Well this years batch is pretty good. I followed Jeff's dads recipe but I used Captain Morgan for the Rum component and WT 101 for the bourbon. I think I will go back to Meyers Rum and EWSB or OF for the Bourbon. It seems like it mellows better when I make it the day after Thanksgiving for serving at Christmas.

Parkersback
12-26-2010, 12:43
Well this years batch is pretty good. I followed Jeff's dads recipe but I used Captain Morgan for the Rum component and WT 101 for the bourbon. I think I will go back to Meyers Rum and EWSB or OF for the Bourbon. It seems like it mellows better when I make it the day after Thanksgiving for serving at Christmas.

It keeps that long with eggs and milk in it?

smokinjoe
12-26-2010, 16:27
Another lazy effort at the Smokinjoe household this year, but still fulfilling. Borden's Eggnog in the can, with a little VW 10yr 107 thrown in. More than good, for me. :yum:

One day...maybe, next year....I'm going to man up and make Jeff Renner's recipe.
:toast:

HipFlask
12-28-2010, 21:08

Yes it does. The alcohol is high enough that keeps it good.

ratcheer
12-31-2010, 19:51
I helped my wife make fresh egg nog, tonight. As nearly as I could tell, it had only eggs, cream, and sugar - well, plus 4 oz of 100-proof Old Grand Dad for two servings. We had it while watching The Shawshank Redemption.

Very nice.

Tim

darkluna
12-31-2010, 20:16

I've aged some eggnog in my fridge for quite a long time. Here's a good article on Chow discussing the safety of aged eggnog
http://www.chow.com/food-news/53619/old-but-not-lethal/

JeffRenner
11-08-2011, 19:46
I assumed his house had gone into foreclosure after paying those prices at A & L!:lol:

Here I am, nearly a year later, and still alive, just not active on the group at all. But thinking it's time to bump this thread up to keep it alive, and to post a link to the original post (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=50226&postcount=10) I made about my dad's eggnog. Hey, it's getting to be that time of year. We're supposed to have snow Thursday!

MarkEdwards
11-09-2011, 02:24
My local store still has no Evan Williams eggnog. I'm about ready to call in an emergency air drop. Promised Land brand eggnog does not liquor up well, and I'm not good at making my own.

StraightNoChaser
11-09-2011, 08:59
I saw Southern Comfort eggnog on the shelf recently. However, I think it's non alcoholic

SMOWK
11-09-2011, 15:05
I've been drinking from a bottle of EW EggNog I found in Baltimore a couple of weeks ago. WaWa also has started carrying their EggNog for 2011 so I've also been mixing that with just about everything.

OscarV
11-09-2011, 16:06
Yep, tis the season. Calder's eggnog should hit the shelf soon up here.

Tony
11-09-2011, 16:29
Yep, tis the season. Calder's eggnog should hit the shelf soon up here.

Ok, I am interested in trying Calder's will look around for it. What is the ratio of Bourbon to Nog you use?

Best regards, tony

OscarV
11-10-2011, 01:46
Ok, I am interested in trying Calder's will look around for it. What is the ratio of Bourbon to Nog you use?

Best regards, tony

In a rocks glass I like two shots of bourbon.
But you should start with one and can always add more.
Calder's is so thick the bourbon will sit on top of it, then you need to whip it with a fork.

MarkEdwards
11-10-2011, 03:21
In a rocks glass I like two shots of bourbon.
But you should start with one and can always add more.
Calder's is so thick the bourbon will sit on top of it, then you need to whip it with a fork.

Okay, I am morally obligated to quote the Talking Heads (or was it Devo - the mind is going...) here:

"Whip it. Whip it good." :cool:

Beer&Bourbon
11-10-2011, 08:53
I saw some EW eggnog at the store yesterday. I plan to pick some up this year (as well as making my own).

WT 101, OWA, and VOB BiB are go-tos for cooking in my house so I figure those would be perfect to start with for the eggnog. Others have mentioned WT and OWA on here, but has anyone tried VOB in nog?

I'm also curious about the BT cream liqueur. Has anybody tried this? If so, what do you use it in - or do you just drink it straight?

That's Devo btw.

Beer&Bourbon
11-10-2011, 10:02
I also meant to say that Trader's Point creamery located in Indiana makes some great eggnog:

http://www.tpforganics.com/

I got some through a home grocery deliver (Green B.E.A.N. delivery - no affiliation) last year. My wife told me she didn't like eggnog, but couldn't stop drinking the stuff.

I think a lot of local dairys make the stuff; I'm hoping Snowville Creamery (who make my absolute favorite milk) makes some in the near future.

GreggJ
11-10-2011, 12:04
I have made the Washington Egg Nog recipe that AVB posted for the last 2 years and it is excellent.

I had no idea regarding the aging that is good to know. I always found myself trying to drinnk it all in 2-3 days. Granted they were good days :grin: but, making a big batch and using for Thanksgiving and Christmas is much more appealing.

Good stuff. Thanks for the info.

SMOWK
11-10-2011, 14:06
has anyone tried VOB in nog?

VOBBIB has been my go-to bourbon lately for mixing with the WaWa EggNog. I usually use 3:1 VOBBIB:EggNog.

OscarV
11-10-2011, 14:11
I think wheaters work best.
Old Weller Antique at 107prf holds up good and the sweetness compliments the eggnog.

MarkEdwards
11-25-2011, 12:00
YES!! The Evan Williams has finally arrived. I grabbed half a case today.

jcg9779
11-30-2011, 08:54
YES!! The Evan Williams has finally arrived. I grabbed half a case today.

I bought a couple the other day...I'm not a big eggnog fan, but I do like the Evan Williams product.

gblick
12-19-2011, 15:13
Ok, I compared the Pennsylvania Dutch with the Evan Williams eggnog, and the EW is much better IMO.

mosugoji64
12-19-2011, 20:14
Ok, I compared the Pennsylvania Dutch with the Evan Williams eggnog, and the EW is much better IMO.

Thought the PA Dutch was good, but EW definitely has more kick. After a couple of sips, I spiked the PA Dutch with some WSR. That made it much better! :grin:

gblick
12-20-2011, 06:37
Thought the PA Dutch was good, but EW definitely has more kick. After a couple of sips, I spiked the PA Dutch with some WSR. That made it much better! :grin:It's not just the kick for me but also the thicker creamier texture of the EW, and the overall taste.

smokinjoe
12-20-2011, 07:51
I'll be getting a bottle of the EW again this year. It's good. But, for the time being, it's Dimple Bottled Old Forester BIB in my Borden's in the can Nog. :yum:

Chuckles
12-20-2011, 09:05
I just got these award-winning recipes in an e-mail from talesofthecocktail.com.

New Orleans’ Best Bourbon Spiked Eggnog Crowned at Tales of the Toddy

Chris Hannah of Arnaud’s French 75 Bar created the winning cocktail, the Blue Hawaiian Nog, whilst Ian Julian (Pumpkin Trace) and Steven Yamada (Nog I Yam) tied for second place.

In addition to the one-of-a-kind cocktails and cuisine enjoyed at Tales of the Toddy, the first-ever Bourbon Spiked Eggnog Competition settled the discussion of who has New Orleans’ best Bourbon Spike Eggnog. Eighteen of the city’s best bartenders came together at the Hyatt Regency to enter their recipes but in the end it was Chris Hannah of Arnaud’s French 75 who won with his Blue Hawaiian Nog.

Chris Hannah excitedly exclaimed that “My inspiration came from Don Ho to create a tiki themed eggnog that took months but in the end I am thrilled the response was a winning cocktail!”

Made with Benchmark bourbon, Blue Curacao, banana/ pineapple cream, the Blue Hawaiian Nog puts a twist on the traditional eggnog cocktail. Use the recipe below to add this cocktail treat to your holiday festivities.

Blue Hawaiian Nog
Chris Hannah
Arnaud’s French 75

Recipe Serves: 2
Individual Serving Size: 8oz

2 oz Benchmark Bourbon
.25 oz Blue Curacao
1.25 oz Banana/Pineapple/Cream
Piece Egg
Pinch Nutmeg Spice grounds
Piece Pineapple slice

In a cocktail shaker add the Bourbon, Blue Curacao, Banana/Pineapple Heavy Cream and the egg with ice. Shake and strain over 2 ice filled old-fashioned glasses, garnish with pineapple slice and nutmeg sprinkles.

2ND PLACE TIE

Pumpkin Trace
Ian Julian
Hyatt Regency’s Vitascope Bar

1.5 oz Buffalo Trace Bourbon
.75 oz Pumpkin spice syrup
.25 oz DiSaronno Amaretto
2.5oz Brown’s Dairy Eggnog

Build all ingredients into a shaker and shake it with a beat and strain into a glass with no ice and top with roasted pumpkin seed as a garnish

Nog I Yam
Steven Yamada
Victory Bar

.5 oz Benchmark Bourbon
3 oz Sweet Potato Eggnog
1 oz Spiced Marshmallow Fluff

Sweet Potato Puree: Peel a Sweet Potato and slice into medium thick pieces. Place on baking sheet and cover with 2 Tablespoons of Salt and 1 Cup of Dark Brown Sugar. Gently toss and then bake at 350 F for about 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Add all chunks of Sweet Potato and any Juice into a food processor and thoroughly puree.

Sweet Potato Eggnog: Combine 3 Whole Eggs plus 1 Egg Yolk in Medium Saucepan and beat thoroughly with whisk. Set burner to lowest setting and, while stirring, add 2 Cups Whole Brown’s Dairy Milk, 1/2 Cup Sugar, and 1 Cup Sweet Potato Puree. Continue to stir for about 20 minutes or until mixture reaches 160 F. Bottle and refrigerate overnight.

Spiced Marshmallow Fluff: Beat 3 Egg Whites, 1 Cups of Light Corn Syrup, and 1/2 Tsp of Salt for about 10 minutes or until thick. Turn mixer speed to low and slowly add 2 Cups of Confectioner's Sugar. Then add 1 Tablespoon of Cardamom/Ginger Simple Syrup.

Nog I Yam: Combine Sweet Potato Eggnog and Bourbon. Top with Marshmallow Fluff. Lightly scorch fluff with a small torch.

Serve Straight Up, Cold

About Tales of the Cocktail®
Tales of the Cocktail® is the world’s premier cocktail festival, bringing together the most respected minds on mixology for five days of cocktails, cuisine and culture. Held annually in New Orleans, this international event has something for cocktail professionals and enthusiasts alike with a spirited schedule of seminars, dinners, competitions and tasting rooms where brands showcase their latest products. Tales of the Cocktail® returns in 2012 for a historic milestone—its 10th Anniversary of rocking the cocktail world. Join the celebration July 25-29, 2012 and see how Tales of the Cocktail® only gets better with age.

About the New Orleans Culinary and Cultural Preservation Society
The New Orleans Culinary and Cultural Preservation Society (NOCCPS) is a non-profit organization committed to preserving the unique culture of cocktails and cuisine in New Orleans and beyond. Since it’s founding in 2006 the NOCCPS has supported members of the hospitality industry through programs like the new Apprentice Aid Fund, providing financial assistance to former apprentices in times of medical need, the Cocktail Apprentice Scholarship Program and the Flo Woodward Memorial Scholarship as well as the production of events like Tales of the Cocktail®.

####

HipFlask
12-20-2011, 10:46
Once thanks Jeff for sharing your dad's recipe. I would encourage everyone to give the recipe a try as it really easy to make and tastes way better than the premade stuff. I made this years batch last weekend with freshly bought eggs to satisfy the Sister In Law that freaked when she found out I was making at Thanksgiving.

MarkEdwards
12-20-2011, 17:15
My daughter and her family came up to visit us. I am happy to say I corrupted them with a bottle of Evan Williams eggnog. They were suitably impressed.

stevegoz
12-20-2011, 17:59
The wife whipped up a triple batch of Alton Brown's egg nog recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/eggnog-recipe2/index.html) for our Christmas party Saturday night. She's the nervous sort, so she did the "cooked" variant. We went with Maker's Mark, but she added about half again as much as the recipe called for.

It's awesome stuff. I just enjoyed a nice pour of the leftovers....

JeffRenner
12-24-2011, 11:45
Once thanks Jeff for sharing your dad's recipe.

You're welcome, Tim. I just checked in here today for the first time in a few weeks (I'm so inactive here that there have been rumors of my death:grin:), and am glad that people are still enjoying the recipe. It has been made literally around the world by readers of SB.com and HomeBrew Digest, where I first shared it.

My daughter is out at the store just now buying ingredients for our annual batch, which we'll enjoy today and tomorrow.

JeffRenner
11-26-2012, 14:30
Time for my annual bump to keep this thread alive, and to post a link to the original post (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=50226&postcount=10) I made about my dad's eggnog, which started the thread. I've just reread the thread, and it's good reading. Newcomers might like to read it, too. And I'm still alive, Oscar, despite not posting much!

Just last week I got an email from someone who has made this recipe a family tradition. It's gratifying to see that it's made it around the world, including the Southern Hemisphere, although I don't think it would be quite as appealing on a Australian beach on December 25 as it is in front of the fireplace in Michigan.

dean_martin
12-06-2012, 09:18
Great story behind the recipe! Below is a recipe courtesy of KegWorks for those concerned about raw eggs. It calls for brandy instead of bourbon, but substitutions are not prohibited. I haven't tried it yet. I'm still in the process of collecting egg nogg and punch recipes for the holidays. I need to start experimenting before it's too late.

Easier than Egg Nogg Punch
Ingredients:
1 c sugar (http://www.kegworks.com/superfine-pure-cane-bar-sugar-for-cocktails-16-oz-937-p175624)
1 c dark rum
½ c brandy
2 tbsp vanilla extract
8 c whole milk
Grated nutmeg
Directions:
1. Dissolve sugar in rum, brandy, and vanilla extract in a very large pitcher (at least ¾-gallon capacity).
2. Add milk and freeze until very cold or slushy (4 - 8 hours).
3. Pour into glasses, sprinkle nutmeg over the top and serve.

smokinjoe
12-06-2012, 11:27
I continue to be lazy. Just purchased my yearly bottle of Evan Williams Egg Nog. One of these days, though...

jcg9779
12-06-2012, 20:56
I continue to be lazy. Just purchased my yearly bottle of Evan Williams Egg Nog. One of these days, though...

I'm with ya, Joe. I'm not a huge eggnog fan but always buy a bottle of the Evan Williams nog. I'm sure I'll make up a homemade batch at some point, but that EW stuff is good and just so easy!

stevegoz
12-07-2012, 07:53
No eggs, no cream -- it's the heart-healthy alternative!

Great story behind the recipe! Below is a recipe courtesy of KegWorks for those concerned about raw eggs. It calls for brandy instead of bourbon, but substitutions are not prohibited. I haven't tried it yet. I'm still in the process of collecting egg nogg and punch recipes for the holidays. I need to start experimenting before it's too late.

Easier than Egg Nogg Punch
Ingredients:
1 c sugar (http://www.kegworks.com/superfine-pure-cane-bar-sugar-for-cocktails-16-oz-937-p175624)
1 c dark rum
½ c brandy
2 tbsp vanilla extract
8 c whole milk
Grated nutmeg
Directions:
1. Dissolve sugar in rum, brandy, and vanilla extract in a very large pitcher (at least ¾-gallon capacity).
2. Add milk and freeze until very cold or slushy (4 - 8 hours).
3. Pour into glasses, sprinkle nutmeg over the top and serve.

dean_martin
12-07-2012, 14:20
No eggs, no cream -- it's the heart-healthy alternative!

That was part of their pitch.

At the risk of thread drift, KegWorks has some other interesting holiday recipes as well:
http://www.kegworks.com/company/the-kegworks-holiday-manual-8-recipes-you-need?_s_icmp=hp-MANual-6

ILLfarmboy
12-12-2012, 21:34
I intend on trying Jeff's recipe, but just for giggles I picked up some Anderson-Erickson Egg Nog in the refrigerated section today. Too sweet, but dumping in some Weller Antique cuts it down to a tolerable level. I suppose it's meant to be drunk with added bourbon/rum/brandy. I can't see how anyone could drink it unleaded. Way too sweet.

smokinjoe
12-14-2012, 12:17
I've been drinking Borden's EggNog out of the can for about as long as I can remember. I'd drink a whold dang can at one sitting when I was a kid. The can was nicely printed with comforting graphics. No paper label. Solid. It's like a tradition that I buy a can every year. This year, they've switched over to one of those boxes thingees, like the kid's juice boxes, but bigger. Isn't anything sacred anymore??? OK, the box is resealable. More economically efficient, I'm sure. Easier to handle. Yadda yadda yadda...Fiddlesticks!!!!!!!! "New Improved Packaging!" the box says. Oh, why don't you blow me, Elsie. I guess some wiseaker will do away with the jellied cranberry sauce in the can next, so I can't see my cranberries with the rings from the can indented on them at Thanksgiving!!!! :hot:

I'll try and catch the milkman early tomorrow morning while he's making the delivery in our milkbox, and ask him if he has a substitute...

squire
12-14-2012, 17:29
It's a conspiracy Joe, I tell 'ya . . .

ebo
12-21-2012, 11:21
That made me chuckle a little, Joe. :lol:

I'm always hollering about something changing that's been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. My wife just tells me to get over it.:grin:

smokinjoe
12-21-2012, 13:28
I think I found the problem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXRM3lFRwRI

JB64
12-25-2012, 21:26
I had eggnog for the first time ever last night on Christmas Eve. I took a bottle of Evan Williams egg nog to a friends house. It was a lot thicker than what I was expecting but the flavor was ok. Maybe I will try to make homemade eggnog next year.

shoshani
12-30-2012, 13:02
Pendennis Club Eggnog

(from Beverages de Luxe, published in 1914 by The Wine & Spirit Bulletin, pre-WWI back issues of which are on Google Books and are completely fascinating to look at.)

(One Gallon)

Take the yellow of one dozen eggs.

One pound granulated sugar.

One teaspoon nutmeg.

One-half pint cream, and beat well together. Then take one quart Kentucky Bourbon Whisky, one quart Cognac, and one pint Jamaica Rum, beat all together. Take one quart rich cream and beat until stiff, then add to the above mixture very slowly, whipping until well mixed. Serve in punch cups.

(facsimile autograph) Louis Herring

Superintendent.

Tony
01-21-2013, 15:04
I have made my batch for next holiday season. I am glad I have prepared ahead of time, it is so much better with age on it.

Best regards, Tony

dean_martin
01-22-2013, 10:29
I made the "Easier than Egg Nog Punch" recipe I posted earlier. AND, with nutmeg and a cinnamon stick, I coined a new phrase as I lifted the cup to my face: "Smells like Santa's ass." Kinda leaves you scratchin' your head. On one hand, it's Santa so it can't be bad. On the other, it's his ass.

JeffRenner
12-24-2013, 17:38
OK, let's keep this thread alive. I'm at our daughter's house and about to make the annual eggnog with my father's famous recipe. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=50226&postcount=10

so, if you haven't tried it, what's holding you back?