PDA

View Full Version : How to serve a fine bourbon?

Empty Glass
12-15-2006, 17:56
I got a MM neat from the Cookhouse Restaurant. There top shelf. Talk about your advertising campaign. It came ice cold in a plastic 1 oz ,what looked like a thimble, cup. I was disgusted but somehow got my fingers around the little thing without squishing it and drank it slowly, held it in my mouth and pretended that there was more than there was and then switched to Bud. MM is already very smooth but being chilled you barely knew that you had a bourbon at all. I like shots and snifters. For the ultimate bourbon experience how would you present your pour. temp,glass, gulp vs. sip, etc. Thanks Scott

CrispyCritter
12-15-2006, 18:38
My typical pour is room temperature, either neat or with a small splash of filtered water, in a Glencairn glass. This is true for me whether it's bourbon, rye, Scotch, Irish, Canadian, or Japanese whisk(e)y.

For cocktails, I generally use the classic cocktail ("martini") glass, except for Sazeracs, which I put in a rocks glass (without ice).

gothbat
12-15-2006, 19:54
Iíve said it before and Iíll say it again, in my opinion the best way to enjoy bourbon is in a snifter. I begin drinking after nosing for a minute or two and I find that the taste is optimal after Iíve held the glass in the palm of my hand for about 15 Ė 20 minutes, to me it has more flavor slightly warmed. Iíve used the Glencairn glass that CrispyCritter mentions and it is a pretty nice glass, definitely alot better than a rocks glass (which is the way every bar I've been to will serve me unless I'm specific), but I prefer my snifter because the way you have to hold it causes the spirit to warm up a little bit.
Iíve only ever considered adding water to some of the whiskies I have that are of a really high proof (120+) but Iíve never actually done this because even though some burn more than others they have all always been drinkable and, more importantly, enjoyable to me at full strength. Iíve read that spirits should typically be watered down to ~100 proof though so maybe Iím missing out.

CrispyCritter
12-15-2006, 23:01
Indeed, I generally reserve the splash of water for high-proof pours like Stagg or A'Bunadh.

I ought to get a true snifter to try out, though. The Glencairn is fairly snifter-like, but not quite the same. It would also be interesting to try out my Armagnacs in a real snifter.

Empty Glass
12-16-2006, 05:27
I just saw a picture of a beautiful Glencairn crystal glass holding a pour...beautiful. You reminded me that I received two crystal glasses with a bottle of Blanton's last fall. They look like a stemless martini glass on steroids. Heavy lead crystal with a solid square base.

melting
12-16-2006, 16:53
Don't know if this qualifies as ultimate but it's ultimatly how I drink every bourbon, whiskey (including rye, scotch and irish), and vodka. Remove bottle from cabinet, pour a couple ounces into a rocks glass with 1 ice cube. I have always preferred my drinks to be served cold.

Some will suggest putting the bottle in the fridge but that's not really an option without knowing which bottle you will be drinking from at least an hour prior. The vodka, however, is always in the freezer so I'm not really sure why it gets the cube treatment. Habit I guess.

Chris

ILLfarmboy
12-16-2006, 21:43
I got a MM neat from the Cookhouse Restaurant. There top shelf. Talk about your advertising campaign. It came ice cold in a plastic 1 oz ,what looked like a thimble, cup. I was disgusted but somehow got my fingers around the little thing without squishing it and drank it slowly, held it in my mouth and pretended that there was more than there was and then switched to Bud. MM is already very smooth but being chilled you barely knew that you had a bourbon at all. I like shots and snifters. For the ultimate bourbon experience how would you present your pour. temp,glass, gulp vs. sip, etc. Thanks Scott

I hate those little plastic thimble sized cups. When ordering a drink of whiskey in a bar (whenever I think the server might use one of those silly things) I generally order a double. It precludes them from using the tiny cup and gets the point across that I want to drink my whiskey not shoot it past my taste buds.

gothbat
12-16-2006, 22:55
...I generally order a double. It precludes them from using the tiny cup and gets the point across that I want to drink my whiskey not shoot it past my taste buds.

Yeah, I'll say. At this one bar the bartender gave me this tiny pour of WT101 and said 'That'll be $6' so I looked at the glass and said 'Umm, why don't you go ahead and make that a double...' which resulted in him actually tripling the amount in the glass. I've been fortunate, the one bar I've been in that didn't allow you to order doubles (Any bar in Foxwoods in CT) actually gives you a good sized pour and has good prices. Nice glasses too although they don't let you take them back to your room... :/

lar03
12-17-2006, 10:38
I was in one semi-upscale bar during happy hour, where I ordered a Basil Hayden neat, and was presented with a Basil Hayden and Coke. After explaining what neat meant, I was given a Basil Hayden in a large shot glass filled with tiny cubes of quickly melting ice. Having to explain a third and final time that I wanted nothing but the bourbon, I was treated to the same drink that had the ice in it, only strained into a different shot glass, so that shards of ice could still be seen floating in the glass. That level of incompetence always leaves me dumbfounded, and I've never quite figured out how to deal with it.
I've always ejoyed my bourbon in a large snifter. I like to be able to stick my nose in the glass and get a nose full before sipping. My "liquor cabinet" is above my stove, and I find that I have a much more pleasurable experience when it has been warmed to slightly above room temperature. I always pour just to the curve in the glass, since this exposes the most surface area, and makes it breath better(I think). I also find that some flavors in the bourbon are more pronounced depending on whether I sip, or I gulp, so I do both. I don't think any of this matters too much, since we will all have our own unique ways of enjoying it, but this is the ritual that I have settled upon in my few short years as a Bourbon fanatic.

ILLfarmboy
12-17-2006, 11:53
I have usually had far better luck in upscale joints than the hick bars around which I grew up. I am forever having to explain what neat means. The bartenders are more often than not just kids. Seventy percent of the patrons are drinking beer. The other thirty percent are usually drinking CC and 7up, JD and Coke etc. If I were to order a Manhattan in a joint like that blank stares would be all I would get.

I suppose I'm being a bit rough on my neighbors and fellow small town people. After all I was in my late twenties the first time I went to a truly upscale nightclub and saw the barkeep lay a brandy glass on it's side and fill it till the liquid just reached the lip. I asked him what that was all about. He explained that was the right true and proper way to pour the correct amount.

FlashPuppy
12-17-2006, 21:57
I am forever having to explain what neat means.

Last time I was in a real "hick" (might want to be careful with that term around here) bar, I just asked for a glass and the bottle of OGD BIB. Cost $17. Good Night.

TNbourbon
12-17-2006, 22:28
..."hick" (might want to be careful with that term around here)...

:lol: I grew up 1-1/2 miles from the nearest paved road, and my first (paid) job -- I'd already spent years doing it for an 'allowance' at home -- was milking the neighbor's herd, so I guess you're talking about me.
On the other hand, I won a 'full-ride' academic scholarship, have a 160 IQ, and have won journalism prizes both for my news photography and feature writing -- so, maybe not.
Who exactly is a 'hick', anyway? Personally, I prefer to refer to myself as an 'educated rube'.

Thesh
12-17-2006, 23:13
:lol: I grew up 1-1/2 miles from the nearest paved road, and my first (paid) job -- I'd already spent years doing it for an 'allowance' at home -- was milking the neighbor's herd, so I guess you're talking about me.
On the other hand, I won a 'full-ride' academic scholarship, have a 160 IQ, and have won journalism prizes both for my news photography and feature writing -- so, maybe not.
Who exactly is a 'hick', anyway? Personally, I prefer to refer to myself as an 'educated rube'.

Everyone on the internet has a 160 IQ :)

I never really go to places that have fine bourbon. Usually when I am drinking at a restaraunt, or bowling alley it is something cheap over ice. At home, I usually enjoy my bourbon in a snifter, sipping and nosing. In my opinion, good bourbon is best served in a glass with a lot of room to swirl and the ability to really control the amount of liquid that gets into you mouth. That way you can just enjoy it longer.

On the subject of doubles, you get one without ordering it at the Bowling alley. The problem is that their whiskies are limited to Jim Beam White, Jack Daniels, Seagrams 7 Crown, Seagrams VO, Crown Royal (my usual choice), J&B, and Chivas Regal. If they would just carry WT101...

ILLfarmboy
12-17-2006, 23:25

I grew up on a farm exactly 2 and 6 tenths miles from the the nearest paved road (US 67) I confess that I never milked cows except once in FFA when we visited the dairy farm of one of our fellow students. Incidentally his uncle rented ground from my parents. I have often bought fresh milk from dairy farmers in my area before the milkman came to pick up his load. Three weeks ago I and two Friends butchered a hog and split the meat between us. (the other hogs were picking on it, very often when you put an unfamiliar pig in with ones that were raised together this happens, they will fight and fight until something dies!)

My High School graduating class consisted of 39 kids. 140 kids in all four grades (freshman thru Senior).

And yes I drive a beat up pickup. I am your stereotypical redneck. And rather proud of it!

I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone with my use of the word "hick" My apologies if I did.

One of our local watering holes sits in the corner of a Field off (US 150) with the remnants of a long ago closed gas station in front. It's a great place to get a cheeseburger and their onion rings are out of this world, but when it comes to their selection of bourbon it's nearly nonexistent. If you want a selection of better whiskeys from a bar you have to drive about an hour to the north to the Quad Cities or an hour and twenty minutes to the south to Peoria. This is the picture of life where I live I was trying to paint. I supose I chose my words poorly.

Again I'm new here and didn't mean to offend anyone.

ILLfarmboy
12-18-2006, 00:24
I just re-read my post and realized I used the word "redneck". Man! I'm gonna have to watch my language on the Internet!

Thesh
12-18-2006, 00:41
I just re-read my post and realized I used the word "redneck". Man! I'm gonna have to watch my language on the Internet!

Piece of advice. Instead of trying to watch your language, and avoid offending people, just be yourself. It's more interesting that way.

Empty Glass
12-18-2006, 06:30
Everyone settle down and have a drink...ok two. No one was offended. I think that we call this friendly banter and in a group with over 2000 it's a form of entertainment like football or trying to get the salt shaker to stand on its edge. You would know this if you weren't a redneck...oh sorry just slipped out! Cheers all!

ILLfarmboy
12-18-2006, 10:11
I didn't think anyone was really offended (much).:cool:

later when I get home I might make one of those "redneck manhattans" that was alluded to in an other post. I might even drink it from an old fruit jar.:grin:

TNbourbon
12-18-2006, 10:15
Everyone on the internet has a 160 IQ...::)

Caught me, I'm really just a bonehead:blush: -- albeit, one with a 160 IQ.

...I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone with my use of the word "hick" My apologies if I did...Again I'm new here and didn't mean to offend anyone.

Point of information here, guys -- many of us here know each other fairly well, and realize when one of us is joking around. For the rest, the best we can do in this written forum is to try to tip our intentions using the 'smilies'. Please note the laughing 'smilie' at the beginning of my post, which was tongue-in-cheek -- even if your were intentionally trying to be offensive, I would not be offended to be called a 'hick'. I'm convinced 'hickdom' is the best way to grow up, and can also claim that I didn't let it keep me from success in the wide world.
Now, Thesh, being called a liar (directly, or by insinuation) will make my neck a little red -- but, that's okay, because I'm sometimes a redneck, too.

Okay, back on topic: we redneck hicks solve the problem by just drinking from the bottle.:drinking:
(:lol: :slappin: :grin: )

Empty Glass
12-18-2006, 10:59
I think that a paper sack adds something when drinking from the bottle don't you?

OscarV
12-18-2006, 16:43
But seriously folks,... it is hit or miss for you, when you go into a bar/resturant and ask for a drink like a Manhattan or anything else that is not a shot of some kind of spirit and soda pop.
I have asked, "What kind of bourbon do you have." and get responses ranging from, brands that are not bourbon to "I don't know", and they will not find out for you, and stand there like I asked for the most unreasonable thing in the world.
But it is a national thing. Recently I was in the office of a bar manager, while waiting for him to write me a check, I saw a copy of a bar/resturant trade magazine.
On the cover was a bartender shaking up a drink, and the title for the story inside stated, "Where have all the good bartenders gone?"

I think it is a combination of peoples taste changing, and bars want the easy way out. You know those fruit flavored vodkas sure look cool and will get you drunk fast and there is none of that nasty alcohol taste, also light beers appeal to millions.

ILLfarmboy
12-18-2006, 16:51
I think it is a combination of peoples taste changing, and bars want the easy way out. You know those fruit flavored vodkas sure look cool and will get you drunk fast and there is none of that nasty alcohol taste, also light beers appeal to millions.

I think this is the most plausible explanation for the lack of knowledge.

And It makes me sad/frustrated.

leebo
12-18-2006, 17:46
I serve mine at room temperature , usually with a splash of spring water. More water for high proof stuff. I now use a reidel "O" series wine glass. It has a white wine glass shape with no stem. My stash is kept in the cellar so it needs to be warmed a little.

CrispyCritter
12-18-2006, 19:58
I think there's a bit of a pushback against the flavored vodka craze, though. There are all sorts of interesting cocktail-related sites out there, like The Cocktail Chronicles (http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/) and Ted "Dr. Cocktail" Haigh's CocktailDB (http://cocktaildb.com/) devoted to bringing back classic drinks.

Bitters have even made a comeback. Ten years ago, you'd probably only find Angostura unless you were lucky. Now my shelf has six different kinds of bitters... even Peychaud's is easy to find in Chicagoland.

Of course, there is still some idiocy in cocktailville - like calling anything served in a conical, stemmed cocktail glass a "martini." :hot:

FlashPuppy
12-18-2006, 20:43
Last time I was in a real "hick" (might want to be careful with that term around here) bar, I just asked for a glass and the bottle of OGD BIB. Cost $17. Good Night.

I didn't think anyone was really offended (much).:cool:

later when I get home I might make one of those "redneck manhattans" that was alluded to in an other post. I might even drink it from an old fruit jar.:grin:

Hey, just so everyone knows, I was referring to myself as the hick. I am from the country, and always will be a farm boy at heart.

No one was offended (aside from maybe Tim, but I had nothing to do with that one :stickpoke: ), no one's feelings were hurt.

We are all big boys (and girls) here. Now let's raise a glass. I will pour some Jim Beam White to go along with my Beechnut and Scruggs and Flatt background music...

Empty Glass
12-19-2006, 06:14
I guess it must just be me. I asked for a shot of there best bourbon at Maggie McFlys (local hot spot...not) and got a shot of JD. Saturday at the Palace Theater I asked for a double of JB white neat (the other choice was JD) and to put it a wine glass (which looked like glass). With a stunned look I was asked if I was going to sip it or shoot it, if I wanted it chilled and if I wanted a soda chaser. Not sure quite what to do she presented me my pour in an inert looking plastic tumbler. I was even wearing a Christmas tie...with my black leather jacket.

OscarV
12-19-2006, 13:48
Another great little drink that today's capabel mixologist can make for you, (because they don't what bourbon is), is the Yaeger Bomb.
That's Yaegermiester and Red Bull Energy Drink.
From what I hear it will keep you going if you run out of rocks.

jburlowski
12-23-2006, 11:10
The best way to serve a fine bourbon (and to be a good host) is to serve it the way the person drinking it desires. There is no "right" or "wrong" way.

Having said that, if you are paying for the fine bourbon and the consumer wants it with Coke, you have the right (and perhaps the duty) to decline to serve another. (perhaps switch to a "less fine" pour)

dougdog
12-26-2006, 19:20
Step 1...get a fine bourbon.

Step 2...find dougdog.

Step 3...pour some of the bottle contents into his snifter.

Step 4...pour some of the bottle contents into your glass.

Step 5...repeate as necessary.