PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Bottle before you had a pour.

Empty Glass
12-20-2006, 11:12
This thread is slightly off the mark so feel free to kick it out if it doesn't meet the criteria. Marketing is a huge industry and I have read hundreds of comments on SB.com describing your favorite pour. Any one who uses the wisdom behind SB.com would not be swayed by the bottle but my question to you is what was your favorite container or presentation of a bottle or your worst or if your expectations of the contents were fulfilled or not. I would love to hear what you have to say.

I'd give Blanton's a thumbs up, very unique. Kid wants the horse.
MM bottle, lable and red wax seal are great if you overlook the screw cap on there flagship bottle.
ETL has a great bottle.
I love the Pappy labels on the straight 20 and 23 bottle. Very old-timey.
I wish that AHH16 stayed with a wax seal..I don't like foil...actually I'd drink it from an old sneaker if that's the way they wanted to package it. If it were not for SB.com I would have overlooked the inert looking bottle completely in the store instead of searching for one (another one).
Thanks Scott

lar03
12-20-2006, 11:47
Speaking strictly about a bottle that drew me in without ever having tasted the contents, I would have to say Evan Williams SB. This had nothing to do with the bottle shape, or the way it looked, but everything to do with what it said on it. This was the first time I had ever heard of any SB, and I was impressed by the fact that it was signed and dated on the date it was bottled. It made me feel like I was holding something special.

smokinjoe
12-20-2006, 12:17
One that totally dissapointed me was Basil Haydens. :( The presentation is first-rate--a great looking bottle, but the product inside is very lacking to me.
On the other side, the Buffalo Trace bottle could be one of my favorites. The shape just "looks" like a whiskey bottle. And, the torn paper label and graphics look great. :toast: And, of course, the product inside is top-notch.
And finally, for the Cadillac in Chevy Caprice clothing: AAA 10yr.

JOE

cowdery
12-20-2006, 12:23
I love the bottles Buffalo Trace uses for the Antique Collection and ERSB10. I also think the Saz Jr. bottle is great. Woodford Reserve is a wonderful bottle. Knob Creek too.

TNbourbon
12-20-2006, 13:42
I've always liked the look of the Ridgewood/Ridgemont Reserve 1792 bottle, but wish the whiskey had remained as good as it was originally -- or, as good as that barrel sample during the Festival tour.

ILLfarmboy
12-20-2006, 14:24
I have to admit the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon bottle looked so cool and unique I bought one (about two years ago, so I don't know which vintage). I was rather underwelmed by the contents.

The Baby Saz has got to be the coolest damn whisky bottle I have ever seen. Love that old school look!

OscarV
12-20-2006, 14:41
The Buffalo Trace Antique Collection bottles are classy.
My other favorite and the one that says old-time-whiskey to me is George Dickel No. 12. I like the label and the raised letters in the glass on the shoulder going around the bottle, GEORGE DICKEL TENNESSEE

Grain Brain
12-20-2006, 16:21
Saz Jr is awesome, hands down.

I also really like Bookers. That ribboned seal covered by the black wax is classy.

bluesbassdad
12-20-2006, 16:57
Jefferson's Reserve (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19732&highlight=jefferson%27s+pencil#post19732)comes to mind when I think of a marevelous bottle that contains mediocre content. I think this bottling has been discontinued, though, in favor of a younger bourbon.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

cowdery
12-20-2006, 17:09
I also like the Bulleit bottle.

SBOmarc
12-20-2006, 18:09
It has occured to me that we do like many bottles.

The Blantons is still the best when the bartender fails to locate it, Look for the Horse.

FlashPuppy
12-20-2006, 20:10
I am going to have to vote for the BTAC collection bottles here as well. I also adore the ORVW bottles, you know the little "squat" ones.

CrispyCritter
12-20-2006, 21:11
Another vote for the Saz Jr. and BTAC bottles... also, on the other side of the aisle, Aberlour A'Bunadh is a nice old-timey bottle.

Empty Glass
12-20-2006, 21:20
Speaking strictly about a bottle that drew me in without ever having tasted the contents, I would have to say Evan Williams SB. This had nothing to do with the bottle shape, or the way it looked, but everything to do with what it said on it. This was the first time I had ever heard of any SB, and I was impressed by the fact that it was signed and dated on the date it was bottled. It made me feel like I was holding something special.

During a mid-party emergency, a couple of weeks ago in NJ, pre SB.com, I grabbed that same bottle of EW, having never tried it before, just for the shape of the bottle and the hand written bottling dates on back.

mythrenegade
12-20-2006, 22:42
My favorite bottle shape is Blantons. I loved the bottle for Woodford Reserve before I tasted it. It was a huge disappointment for me.

Joel

Old Lamplighter
12-20-2006, 23:07
Being the fairly simple man I am, have to second the earlier reply about EWSB. Also, I have always favored the old 'barrel' shaped bottles common to ORVW offerings and Eagle Rare 101.

T47
12-21-2006, 00:46
I really enjoy the tall clean look...of the bottles I have GT Stagg or Saz would get my vote. I also like the look of Bulliet (and the contents as well).

HighTower
12-21-2006, 02:01
Bookers was the first bottle I purchased due to the packaging (and because I had a friend who sold it to me cheap!), and I was intrigued by the fact it came in the wooden box (before it had the perspex.) I was more intrigued by the proof of it, and back then it was a moral dilemma, too good to mix, too strong to drink straight.
My favourite bottles that I have would be my Wild Turkey 17 bottle, and then the BTAC/Blantons bottles. I also love the Saz Jr bottle, but dont have any yet:cry: (but I hope to change that soon)

Scott

gothbat
12-21-2006, 06:14
I’m going to have to go with the BTAC bottles. They’re simple, tall, and elegant looking with their thick glass bottoms and minimal labeling/printing on the front. Bottles similar in shape to wine bottles such as the ones used for the BMH. PVW, and Bookers (The wooden box is also pretty cool and comes in handy once the bottle is removed.) bottlings are also quite nice but the BTAC bottles are nicer and more unique as they refuse to allow themselves to sit on the same shelf with my other bottles because of their slightly higher than normal height.

T47
12-21-2006, 07:54
I also like Henry Mckenna....not the single Barrel, the cheaper one...not a bad looking bottle at all.

Edward_call_me_Ed
12-21-2006, 08:12
You all have great taste in whiskey bottles! The BTAC bottles rock.

I like the Elijah Craig Bottle a lot. Also, the OGD 114 bottle. And they both have a neck is big enough to keep change in.

The Bulleit bottle reminds me of the old, weathered bottles I sometimes found around old Nebraska farm house foundations when I was a kid.

The only thing I don't like about the Saz Jr bottle is that it is mostly empty and I won't be able to replace it any time soon. Sigh.

Oh, and the WT bottle is close to my heart, mostly because of the bourbon in it. It was always my special occation bourbon in my youth. The WT stamp in the glass is nice, too.

Ed

nor02lei
12-21-2006, 08:31
My vote goes for JB rye. It lights up the whole room. If I go only for practical use 2 of my bottles I brought home from Kentucky in the fall take the price. WT 101 and Forester 100 that both came in plastic bottles with plastic screw cap. That is a couple of bottles worth the year of 2006.

Leif

cowdery
12-21-2006, 08:34
I agree with Ed. My Saz Jr. bottle also has the defect of a rapidly descending fill line.

The Charter 12 also has a nice, retro bottle.

Jazzhead
12-21-2006, 18:41
How can you fail to dig the Saz Jr. bottle? That's just about a perfect bottle, down to the white letters on the glass itself.

Another great bottle without a paper label is the WTRR101.

The Dickel bottles, especially the No. 12, appeal to me. So too Old Talyor and Ancient Ancient Age. Of the labels I've only seen here on SB.com, I love the look of the Cream of Kentucky bottle.

I may try Blanton's some day, but not because of the bottle. That's too precious a presentation for me.

Edward_call_me_Ed
12-21-2006, 23:01
I must really like the Blanton's bottle. I have never thrown one away. They are starting to take up some room...

Ed

Old Lamplighter
12-22-2006, 12:27
I must really like the Blanton's bottle. I have never thrown one away. They are starting to take up some room...

Ed

I am with you. If the opening were just a little larger.....I had thought about using them as candy dishes.....my wife thought otherwise. Now they are beginning to crowd the bottles in my cabinet that still have a fill line showing. Just can't seem to bring myself to tossing them though.:rolleyes:

Also, I like the shape and simple elegance of the BTAC bottles as well as the fact they take up less shelf space (just make sure there is enough space above them though). However, due to my recent experience with breaking a full, unopened one, I have found how unwieldy/unsteady they can be if bumped slightly. :smiley_acbt: That is the only problem with the BTAC bottles and it can be a fatal one at times - especially for a stumblebum like me!

jburlowski
12-23-2006, 11:01
I'd give Blanton's a thumbs up, very unique. Kid wants the horse.

I've got to remember that..."Honest dear, I only bought it because the kids want the horse."

I'd also add Rock Hill Farms. Its often the bottle I give as a gift to someone new to bourbon. Very classy packaging with a great pour inside.

bobbyc
12-23-2006, 19:17
I'd also add Rock Hill Farms. Its often the bottle I give as a gift to someone new to bourbon.

I guess I'm way passed being new to Bourbon, but if there's any room on your "A" list...................

ej178
12-31-2006, 08:01
Rock Hill Farms, Ridgemont, and Eagle Rare. All are quite different from each other but caught my eye.

ripvanfan
01-03-2007, 20:11
I think I've stated this before or may have even started a thread on this, but my all time fav is the Old Rip Van Winkle 15 year squat bottle. Not so much for the bottle itself, but for the label. Best label I've ever seen hands down!

scopenut
01-06-2007, 09:50
I like the clean look of the GTS and ER10 bottles, but they're difficult to store due to their height. Also like the old fashioned labels of the PVW line.

-Kevin

MrAtomic
01-07-2007, 13:52
Like others here I really enjoy the Sazerac Jr. bottle. I haven't even pulled the cork on mine, but I'll take the bottle off the shelf and examine it every once in a while. The Sazerac Jr. bottle is obviously functional, as it doesn't leak and enables the owner to pour its contents without too much difficulty, but it also has a great sense of "design for design's sake" -- particularly the graceful neck that contains almost no whiskey and the beveled edges at the bottom.

The Old Forester Birthday Bourbon bottle is another story. It could only irritate me more if it were a sphere.

ripvanfan
01-12-2007, 13:18
scopenut,

I understand where you are coming from regarding the height of the GT bottles. Luckily, mine fits in my cabinet by like an 1/8 of an inch. I was worried when I was eyeballing how it was going to fit the initial time.

camduncan
01-12-2007, 14:21
scopenut,

I understand where you are coming from regarding the height of the GT bottles. Luckily, mine fits in my cabinet by like an 1/8 of an inch. I was worried when I was eyeballing how it was going to fit the initial time.

Fortunately, I didn't build my bar shelves until after I owned a bottle of GTS (and Saz)....
I guaged the shelf height from these bottles :cool:

Jazzhead
01-12-2007, 21:25
The Old Forester Birthday Bourbon bottle is another story. It could only irritate me more if it were a sphere.

Worst . . bottle . . ever!

A bottle for me has got to be comfortable to hold - heck, when the proper glassware just ain't around I've been known to nip the sauce straignt from the bottle - and the BB is just a silly, unbalanced pain in the butt.

FlashPuppy
01-12-2007, 21:31

A bottle for me has got to be comfortable to hold - heck, when the proper glassware just ain't around I've been known to nip the sauce straignt from the bottle - and the BB is just a silly, unbalanced pain in the butt.

While this may be true, it does do a couple of things: it adds memorability to it. You won't forget how much of pain to pour correct? Well, by that right, you won't forget the bourbon either. Marketing folks, marketing.

Jazzhead
01-12-2007, 21:34
Marketing, indeed. Of course, I've a sucker for good Old Forester so I can't say for a moment that I didn't enjoy the contents of that nutty bottle!

barturtle
01-13-2007, 00:03

Probably the most comfortable bottles to hold in my bunker are some older bottles of Old Forester, with some dimples on the side, natural hand holds, just feel good in the hands, especially the 4/5 quart...it even has a slightly bigger flare at the base of the neck, that makes it more comfortable to hold there too.

HighTower
01-13-2007, 02:09
Fortunately, I didn't build my bar shelves until after I owned a bottle of GTS (and Saz)....
I guaged the shelf height from these bottles :cool:

note to self.......when building bar, measure antique collection.:grin:

Scott

tmas
01-13-2007, 23:19
I think I've stated this before or may have even started a thread on this, but my all time fav is the Old Rip Van Winkle 15 year squat bottle. Not so much for the bottle itself, but for the label. Best label I've ever seen hands down!

I second that choice. The 10 yr 107 (same label) was the first high end bottle of bourbon I ever purchased, had to buy it as soon as I saw the label. Of course, what was in the bottle totally lived up to my expectations! Luckily, I stowed away several bottles of the 10 & 15 squat before they disappeared, so, whenever I want to see my favorite label while savoring one of my all time favorite bourbons, I can! Tom V