PDA

View Full Version : Only found in KY

damanda
12-22-2006, 08:26
I have been asked to buy 4 bottles of bourbon around $30-$40 each, that are not distributed outside of Kentucky. . Any suggestions??

straightwhiskeyruffneck
12-22-2006, 09:18
................better start drivin'

damanda
12-22-2006, 09:55
I actually live in Kentucky. .

ThomasH
12-22-2006, 10:04
Try any of the Four Roses versions, the Heaven Hill 10yr. BIB or even the Ancient Ancient Age 10yr. None of these are sold too far outside of Kentucky if at all!

Thomas

damanda
12-22-2006, 10:31
Thanks for the advice. . Four Roses Small batch was on my list! Living in KY . . I am not really sure what is only available here!

FlashPuppy
12-22-2006, 11:48
Thanks for the advice. . Four Roses Small batch was on my list! Living in KY . . I am not really sure what is only available here!

Also, the Four Roses Single Barrel, as well as the standard yellow label are KY only bottlings.

straightwhiskeyruffneck
12-22-2006, 17:46
Try any of the Four Roses versions, the Heaven Hill 10yr. BIB or even the Ancient Ancient Age 10yr. None of these are sold too far outside of Kentucky if at all!

Thomas

i get the ancient ancient age ten yr. and the heaven hill 10yr BIB right here in wyoming, and i'm pretty far from kentucky!

AVB
12-22-2006, 17:54
I bought the Ancient Ancient Age in Virginia and I'm pretty sure that had the Heaven Hill 10 too.

As was said, Four Roses (3 of them that I know of) and perhaps the "Vintage" brand. I know I had to get a bud who lives in Kentucky to get those for me last year.

Thomas

TNbourbon
12-22-2006, 18:13
i get the ancient ancient age ten yr. and the heaven hill 10yr BIB right here in wyoming, and i'm pretty far from kentucky!

Am pretty sure you've (luckily) run across some old stock regarding the Ancient Ancient Age -- or a distributor who has a direct line to a Buffalo Trace exec. BT's Ken Weber has acknowledged on this very site that the distillery now only distributes AAA 10yo statewide in Kentucky (and for years before, it had solely been in KY and Virginia), and to Sam's and/or Binny's in Chicago.
:skep: Also, folks have been known to confuse the AAA 10-year-old with the later/younger AAA 10 Star, which is only six or so years old.

CrispyCritter
12-29-2006, 20:03
AAA 10 year is available at Binny's - but I've never seen it anywhere else in Illinois. As I understand it, some gets allocated outside Kentucky, but not a lot.

MikeK
12-29-2006, 21:32
I've seen the AAA 10yo in Austin TX at Twin Liquors...

I have a fondness for Mellow Corn BIB. I even have trouble finding this one IN Kentucky.

Pappy's Friend
01-03-2007, 22:25
As was said, Four Roses (3 of them that I know of) and perhaps the "Vintage" brand. I know I had to get a bud who lives in Kentucky to get those for me last year.

You can get the "Vintage" brand outside of Kentucky. I've seen it in Louisiana and California.

FlashPuppy
01-04-2007, 05:29
You can get the "Vintage" brand outside of Kentucky. I've seen it in Louisiana and California.

I have the Vintage brands down at BevMo. Not KY only.

cowdery
01-12-2007, 15:15
About the only significant brand that is sold only in Kentucky is Four Roses. However, Very Old Barton is a major brand in Kentucky that is not widely available elsewhere. You can also find some oddities in Kentucky that, if sold elsewhere, are not widely distributed, like anything with the Heaven Hill brand name on it, other HH brands such as JW Dant and JTS Brown (old, historic names that HH has preserved), and Jim Beam's Old Bourbon Hollow.

The deal is this. Kentucky produces bourbon but also consumes a lot of it, always has, and Kentucky's bourbon consumers are more knowledgable than most, so it's both easy and desirable for the producers to keep brands on the market there that have been discontinued for lack of interest in most other places. Even in a small liquor store in Kentucky, you probably will see brand names you don't see in other places.

However, the thing about Four Roses is that it is a distillery, not just a name, and although they make the widely distributed Bulleit Bourbon, you have to go to Kentucky to get anything that bears the Four Roses name. Likewise Barton is a distillery, that makes Ridgemont Reserve 1792 and Ten High, which are widely distributed, but their Very Old Barton is a very good bourbon, very popular in Kentucky, that is not widely distributed outside of the Commonwealth. If you want to get something good, meaningful and rare outside of Kentucky, Four Roses and Very Old Barton are your best bets.