PDA

View Full Version : 'Nother new guy

emr454
12-27-2006, 21:27
Hi all! This is my first post here and I would like to say that its great to be a part of this community. Lots of good knowledge floatin' about here.

I just turned 21 this September and found out quickly that my favorite spirit is bourbon. I just cant get accustomed to clear spirits. I like my liquor like I like my beer, dark and strong! I dont have much experience with all the various brands, labels etc, but the 2 best bourbons I've found so far are Makers Mark and Knob Creek. My neighbor introduced me to MM and it was the first whiskey that I didnt grimace when drinking. Kinda pricey but I like the taste. I could honestly care less if it was dipped in wax or not, it has a nice smooth taste to it and thats all that matters.

The Knob Creek is strong stuff! Not as easy drinking as the MM, but very good nonetheless. Also pricey but well worth it IMHO.

I am setting out to find a bottle of Elijah Craig 12yr tomorrow. It will be the oldest bourbon I have tasted so far. I am hoping and praying that I dont end up with a bad cork though. Keepin my fingers crossed!

I dont see much info here on Rebel Yell straight bourbon, and I'm curious as to why? Its next on my "to-do" list if you will. I have a sudden interest in wheated bourbons lately, and it not too expensive. Locally its $21 plus tax here in NY. If any of you have any experience with it, please let me know.

Eric

T47
12-27-2006, 21:41
Welcome and enjoy the research!
MM is a nice smooth start...it's what ultimately led me here as well. I do not find the EC 12 to be a smooth pour, I enjoy it, but it's not as smooth as others, at least to my tongue. If you have access to Weller 12 or Evan Williams Single Barrel, those are 2 of the smoothest I think I have had, and at least in my area not priced bad either.
I am sure others with more experience than I will offer some suggestions as well.

:toast:

Edward_call_me_Ed
12-27-2006, 22:23
I dont see much info here on Rebel Yell straight bourbon, and I'm curious as to why? Its next on my "to-do" list if you will. I have a sudden interest in wheated bourbons lately, and it not too expensive. Locally its $21 plus tax here in NY. If any of you have any experience with it, please let me know.

Eric

Welcome!

Rebel Yell is nice, not great, but nice. It, like MM is a wheater. I don't usually write tasting notes, but I seem to recall an sweet cotton candy like note. At 80 proof it is pretty mild, smooth stuff. It is made from the same mashbill as the Weller 12. The Weller 12 is much better whiskey. If it isn't too much more than Rebel Yell I would get that.

Ed

TNbourbon
12-27-2006, 22:35
...Rebel Yell is...made from the same mashbill as the Weller 12...

Have I missed something? Do we know this? Ed?
True, Rebel Yell and the W.L. Weller label were once both Stitzel-Weller, but neither is today, of course -- the Weller 12 was created after the Wellers went to Buffalo Trace, and the Rebel Yell now is bottled by David Sherman Corporation from who-knows-who's whiskey. Or, at least, that's what I thought. Has BT been selling DSC wheated bourbon?

Edward_call_me_Ed
12-28-2006, 04:27
Have I missed something? Do we know this? Ed?
True, Rebel Yell and the W.L. Weller label were once both Stitzel-Weller, but neither is today, of course -- the Weller 12 was created after the Wellers went to Buffalo Trace, and the Rebel Yell now is bottled by David Sherman Corporation from who-knows-who's whiskey. Or, at least, that's what I thought. Has BT been selling DSC wheated bourbon?

Hi Tim,
Your knowledge of the ins and outs of the distilling world is far deeper than mine. :bowdown: But I thought I 'knew' this. Why did I think so...

Buffalo Trace is in Frankfort and the label of my Rebel Yell says Louisville, so that isn't it. Jim Murray's Whiskey Bible doesn't make that claim either. All I'm left with is the claim on the label that Rebel Yell is "made from the same Southern Sour Mash recipe that made W.L. Weller's bourbon famous." Pretty weak. I stand corrected.

I am still guessing that it is coming from Buffalo Trace, but that is all it is, only a guess.

Hi Eric,

If this is a bit esoteric, don't worry. Hang around here long enough and it will all start to make sense. Bottom line is that Rebel Yell is pretty good wheated bourbon and Weller 12 is really good wheated bourbon. You know you like wheaters because you like MM and that is a wheat bourbon.

Ed

emr454
12-28-2006, 05:53
Thanks for the warm welcome fellas!

The only problem with finding any good bourbon nearby, is that the liquor stores have a somewhat limited selection. I had to special order the EC12, and hopefully they received it in time. I'm thinking about going there and politely asking if I can look at his ordering catalog just to see what he is able to get. Liqour prices run kinda high around here it seems, compared to what I've seen on here. The EC12 is going to be $21, where I've heard of people only paying $12.50 in other states for it.

Any good news on the Evan WIlliams black label? Its inexpensive and mighty tempting at only $12 here.

Eric

FlashPuppy
12-28-2006, 06:26
There are plenty of lower shelf pours which I enjoy. Try to pick up some Wild Turkey 101. Many poeple (myself included) consider this to be a benchmark bourbon. It does everything it should, and the price is right. ;)

If you want some selection, why not take a trip and head off to Lenell's? I am not sure where it is exactly, but they will have almost anything you could be looking for.

T47
12-28-2006, 07:48
If you have a place you can order Bottles from, and they have a nice selection, that will be a real blessing. Here in State Controlled WA State, the EC 12 goes for $19.95. I have looked at Lennels (http://www.lenells.com/) web site and find the prices pretty close to our State Controlled prices out here in WA, they have a much better selection at Lennels however.

If you pick up Chuck Cowdery's book Bourbon Straight, He explains that Evan Williams black label is the same thing as EC 12, only the EW is only 7 years old. I don't think its bad...just not as flavorful as it's older siblings.

TNbourbon
12-28-2006, 09:56
...Bottom line is that Rebel Yell is pretty good wheated bourbon and Weller 12 is really good wheated bourbon. You know you like wheaters because you like MM and that is a wheat bourbon.

Ed

Aw, heck, Ed -- I'm a student at heart, and I'm always trolling for info. I thought you'd solved a bourbon mystery.
Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if BT DID supply some whiskey for Rebel Yell at some point -- but they have such a shortage for their own products today, I can't see how it's continued, if it did happen.
Heaven Hill is the usual suspect in these things, of course, but since Heaven Hill has only been distilling wheated bourbon (and the Rebel Yell website does assure it's still wheated) since they purchased Old Fitzgerald, they wouldn't have been supplying RY for very long, if they are at all. Since RY is only 4 years old, presumably, it could certainly be HH, and who else distills wheat and could be a possibility?
In any case, I agree that for a $10, young bourbon, Rebel Yell works just fine for a lot of things. And, of course, W.L. Weller 12yo is an inexpensive step up in quality.

emr454
12-28-2006, 10:11
Well the EC12 was back-ordered, so I snagged a bottle of Rebel Yell KSBW for $13, and the owner also threw in a free 50ml nip of Evan Williams Single Barrel!

I had him look up some prices for Van Winkle bourbon and the lowest he could find was $28. The EWSB liter was $25 and George Dickel's tennessee whiskey was $28. Sounds kinda high compared to what others have posted.

the Evan Willimas black is $12 and Jim Beam black is $22 locally. Does the extra 1 year of the JBB make that much difference over the EW to command an extra $10 for the same size bottle?

There was a bottle of Old Grand Dad 100 proof BIB for $17, so that might be my next purchase.

As for the book, it sounds like a good read no doubt. I will be picking up a copy in the near future.

Eric

melting
12-28-2006, 15:57
Personally I think that the Jim Beam Black is one of the best values out there along with Wild Turkey 101 at around $18.00 for a 750 ml.

If you like your drinks dark and strong I'd try the Elijah Craig 18 year old. It seems to have a love it or leave it reputation of which I am in the former. Definately not your run of the mill bourbon. It is a little more pricey being about 5 dollars more than the Elijah Craig 12 year old.

Another great alternative would be Old Grand Dad BIB. 100 proof and great taste for around $14.00 a bottle.

Chris

emr454
12-28-2006, 17:05
I'm definitely going to try Old Grand Dad BIB 100 proof. Its $17 at the store just down the road from me.

Evan Williams black label seems to be a good deal at $12 per 750mL.

Unfortunately, the Booker's, Baker's and Basil Hayden are all $40-50 for the 750mL bottle. Knob Creek isnt priced too bad though.

Eric

Str8RYE
12-28-2006, 18:19
where in NY are you??? Tri-state or upstate???

emr454
12-28-2006, 19:01
I'm about 30 minutes from Syracuse, between Fayetteville and Cicero, How bout you?

Eric

Edward_call_me_Ed
12-29-2006, 00:57
Well the EC12 was back-ordered, so I snagged a bottle of Rebel Yell KSBW for $13, and the owner also threw in a free 50ml nip of Evan Williams Single Barrel!

snip

the Evan Willimas black is $12 and Jim Beam black is $22 locally. Does the extra 1 year of the JBB make that much difference over the EW to command an extra $10 for the same size bottle?

There was a bottle of Old Grand Dad 100 proof BIB for $17, so that might be my next purchase.

As for the book, it sounds like a good read no doubt. I will be picking up a copy in the near future.

Eric

The OGD BIB is well thought of here. I like it a lot. It is a rye heavy bourbon and so may not seem as smooth to you as a wheater. It is 100 proof, too. Not trying to warn you off, far from it.

The Evan Williams Black label used to be 7 years old. The most recent release is no age statement. I haven't drunk enough of the no age statement to have an opinion. Check the label. The EW 7 and the Jim Beam Black are both good bourbons. I don't know either very well as neither is very high up on my list. You should definately try both and make up your own mind.

Be sure to let us know what you think of the Rebel Yell.

Ed

Edward_call_me_Ed
12-29-2006, 01:00
If you like your drinks dark and strong I'd try the Elijah Craig 18 year old. It seems to have a love it or leave it reputation of which I am in the former. Definately not your run of the mill bourbon. It is a little more pricey being about 5 dollars more than the Elijah Craig 12 year old.

Chris

:bigeyes: Really? It is more than twice the price of the EC12 here. Since it is in the 50$ range I haven't bought a bottle yet.

melting
12-29-2006, 02:49
I had to go and check to make sure I gave accurate price info on the Elijah Craig offerings.

Elijah Craig 12 is $17.99
Elijah Craig 18 is $24.99

I do enjoy them both and believe the extra 7 bucks is worth it especially since it is not an every day drink and will last quite some time.

Chris

emr454
12-29-2006, 06:16
I tried a little bit of the Rebel Yell last night. To me it's better than JBW, which isnt hard to do, but so far I'd say its a step below Makers Mark, even though my experience is limited to only a few brands.

Eric

T47
12-29-2006, 07:19
Wow thats something about the EC 12 and EC 18 price. Here in WA the EC 12 is $19.95 the EC 18 is $40.85.
Eric, I was watching a video that was linked in one of the threads about Bourbon Fest. I don't recall who said it, but he said, "There are no bad Bourbons, only better ones".
I know my palate is not as sensitive as many others, but I have come to agree with that. I can drink something like AA and find it quite bland, but not really bad.
You have a lot of great bottles in you future!

emr454
12-29-2006, 08:09
I'm afraid my palate isnt as sensitive as I'd like it to be, but I guess I'll have to keep tasting and see if that changes!

I agree on the "only better bourbons" remark. Jim Beam White isnt my favorite and it'll do in a pinch, but I doubt I'll ever buy it with so many better pours on the shelf next to it.

I'll tell ya'll one thing though, JBW is way way better than Johnnie Walker Black blended scotch:puke:

Eric

HighTower
12-29-2006, 14:36
I had to go and check to make sure I gave accurate price info on the Elijah Craig offerings.

Elijah Craig 12 is $17.99
Elijah Craig 18 is $24.99

I do enjoy them both and believe the extra 7 bucks is worth it especially since it is not an every day drink and will last quite some time.

Chris

EC18 for $24.99....that's incredible! Where do you live? I thought the $34.99 Binnys are asking was a steal! Does this place ship and/or can liquor be shipped from your state??

Scott

melting
12-29-2006, 16:42
I live in central Massachusetts but I purchase 90 percent of my beverages in New Hampshire which is about a 20 minute drive. If I go straight from work I'm already half way there to begin with.

It's quite the pot luck shopping experience around here. About half the local stores sell mostly beer and have a limited spirits selection. The other half have better selections but you have to watch the prices. I've seen WT Rare Breed ranging in price from $25.99 to $46.99 on the same weekend.

What's amazing though is that New Hampshire has all the information listed on their web site including the annual report which includes their operating expenses, volumes, gross income, net profit etc. They make a tremendous amount of money from liquor sales and still manage to have prices that border on ridiculously low.

One of the best sales a few months ago was as follows

Eagle Rare Single Barrell $17.99
Old Grand Dad BIB $13.49
Evan Williams $7.49 - how do they make money on that?

They had the Thomas Handy for $43.99 but there was a web site goof up and you had to look under the new product section to see the availability. It was incorrect at the inventory listing. I was proud to purchase three bottles and give them away for Christmas. Definate upgrade from last years gift cards.

Chris

HighTower
12-29-2006, 17:16
I live in central Massachusetts but I purchase 90 percent of my beverages in New Hampshire which is about a 20 minute drive. If I go straight from work I'm already half way there to begin with.

It's quite the pot luck shopping experience around here. About half the local stores sell mostly beer and have a limited spirits selection. The other half have better selections but you have to watch the prices. I've seen WT Rare Breed ranging in price from $25.99 to $46.99 on the same weekend.

What's amazing though is that New Hampshire has all the information listed on their web site including the annual report which includes their operating expenses, volumes, gross income, net profit etc. They make a tremendous amount of money from liquor sales and still manage to have prices that border on ridiculously low.

One of the best sales a few months ago was as follows

Eagle Rare Single Barrell $17.99
Old Grand Dad BIB $13.49
Evan Williams $7.49 - how do they make money on that?

They had the Thomas Handy for $43.99 but there was a web site goof up and you had to look under the new product section to see the availability. It was incorrect at the inventory listing. I was proud to purchase three bottles and give them away for Christmas. Definate upgrade from last years gift cards.

Chris
Do you have the URL of this fantastic site??:grin:

Scott

melting
12-29-2006, 17:30
www.nh.gov

Chris

HighTower
12-29-2006, 23:52
www.nh.gov (http://www.nh.gov)

Chris

Thanks Chris, their specials are hard to beat.......
Now with the liquor being state run...does that mean they are Nazis when it comes to shipping liquor out of state?(out of the country even?)
I was about to get some more EC18, and some of the other prices they have are also incredible!

Scott

emr454
12-30-2006, 07:42
I tried the Rebel Yell again yesterday and found that by adding 3-4 drops of water, the nose revelas more of a caramel aroma than of wood, and the wood/oak taste is more noticable on the tip of the tongue. Not too shabby I must say! I find it strange how a little bit of water will make it taste so much different. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another bottle of Rebel Yell.

Eric

minnesota wade
12-30-2006, 08:50
It is interesting to see the price differences all over the US. Here in MN EC12 is $15.99 but the EC18 is $31.99. I picked up the WT RB for $26.99 and the EW SB 95 for $21.99 which I thought was a steal. The only bourbons that go on sale are MM, KC, or the JB products. You have to stock up when you see a good deal that is for sure.

HighTower
12-30-2006, 13:12
The only bourbons that go on sale are MM, KC, or the JB products. You have to stock up when you see a good deal that is for sure.
You mean Rare Breed at $26.99 isn't a special? Gee you guys have it good. On a good day here, you might see rare breed for $70:smiley_acbt:
(The joys of living on the other sider of the globe)

Scott

minnesota wade
12-30-2006, 19:07
Hightower, I am sure living in Australia has a few benefits. Someday I would like to vistit. I could bring my own to enjoy while I am there.

oldironstomach
01-02-2007, 22:49
One of the ironies of living in the only monopoly county in the US (Montgomery County, Maryland) is that although wine is expensive, liquor is cheap...dirt cheap. Cheap enough to infuriate the distillery reps when the county has a sale, because they'll often end up retailing for less than the wholesale price in surrounding jurisdictions. Link to sale flyer. (http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/Apps/DLC/Retail/spirits_specials.cfm)

For example, in December EC12 was $12.99, WTRB $23.99, EWSB $15.99.

jburlowski
01-03-2007, 16:43
Aw, heck, Ed -- I'm a student at heart, and I'm always trolling for info. I thought you'd solved a bourbon mystery.
Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if BT DID supply some whiskey for Rebel Yell at some point -- but they have such a shortage for their own products today, I can't see how it's continued, if it did happen.
Heaven Hill is the usual suspect in these things, of course, but since Heaven Hill has only been distilling wheated bourbon (and the Rebel Yell website does assure it's still wheated) since they purchased Old Fitzgerald, they wouldn't have been supplying RY for very long, if they are at all. Since RY is only 4 years old, presumably, it could certainly be HH, and who else distills wheat and could be a possibility?
In any case, I agree that for a $10, young bourbon, Rebel Yell works just fine for a lot of things. And, of course, W.L. Weller 12yo is an inexpensive step up in quality.

FWIW, when my wife and I did the HH tour a couple of months ago the guide said they make RY. I suspect Bettye Jo could solve the mystery.....

ggilbertva
01-03-2007, 18:21
I'm definitely going to try Old Grand Dad BIB 100 proof. Its $17 at the store just down the road from me.

Evan Williams black label seems to be a good deal at $12 per 750mL.

Unfortunately, the Booker's, Baker's and Basil Hayden are all $40-50 for the 750mL bottle. Knob Creek isnt priced too bad though.

Eric

Bookers and Bakers are good. I really don't care for Basil. I figured I didn't like it because it was more of a rye....well, I found out I like rye bourbons, just not Basil.

ggilbertva
01-03-2007, 18:32
I'm afraid my palate isnt as sensitive as I'd like it to be, but I guess I'll have to keep tasting and see if that changes!

I agree on the "only better bourbons" remark. Jim Beam White isnt my favorite and it'll do in a pinch, but I doubt I'll ever buy it with so many better pours on the shelf next to it.

I'll tell ya'll one thing though, JBW is way way better than Johnnie Walker Black blended scotch:puke:

Eric

Never fear Eric, your palate will become more "tuned" to the subtle differences each bourbon offers. You will begin to pick up the vanilla, caramel, oak, mint, etc. It's encouraging when all of a sudden you taste one of these. Be warned, there are so many nice bourbons out there, you can get carried away.

I'm trying hard to be good and not add to my already growing collection (16 bottles and counting) right after Christmas. Yet, last night I ran across a bottle of Wathens Single Barrel for $30 at the ABC store. I snatched it up and asked them to order more. Enjoy your bourbon journey. :cool:

ggilbertva
01-03-2007, 18:47
One of the ironies of living in the only monopoly county in the US (Montgomery County, Maryland) is that although wine is expensive, liquor is cheap...dirt cheap. Cheap enough to infuriate the distillery reps when the county has a sale, because they'll often end up retailing for less than the wholesale price in surrounding jurisdictions. Link to sale flyer. (http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/Apps/DLC/Retail/spirits_specials.cfm)

For example, in December EC12 was $12.99, WTRB $23.99, EWSB $15.99.

Dave,

It's my understanding that Maryland is not a controlled state, only Mont. Cnty is. I live about 25 minutes from Frederick and have wondered if going into Maryland would benefit me since VA is a controlled state and getting bourbon other than the typical selections is difficult. Although, I will say that recently, for whatever reason, the ABC stores have carried PVW 20, VW Lot B, Wathens SB and Sam Houston. Not items that typically show up on the shelves. Do you ever venture outside Mont. Cnty to shop for bourbon?

oldironstomach
01-03-2007, 20:26
That's exactly right...Maryland is not a control state, only Mont. County. I do try to shop the surrounding jurisdictions for items that are harder to locate, usually DC but occasionally the Virginia ABC stores (plus, I ended up driving through Kentucky three times last year, which is forcing me to rethink my back-stock storage thanks to those bulky Barton BIB bottles).

For instance, the BTAC has been impossible to find here, whereas my favorite DC retailer has been decently stocked despite my feeble attempts to deplete him one bottle at a time. The VW products have also been in short supply here, a far cry from the situation five or six years ago when they were abundant. In fact, it was a sale on "A" batch (unlettered) VWFRR13 that originally sparked my interest in American whiskey...I think I paid something ridiculous like $15 or $18 each for the first three or four bottles (still slowly nursing my last "C" bottle at the moment).

Sorry, no intel yet on Frederick; I've just begun trying to familiarize myself with the stores along the main retail drag (Rt 40 west) and the route into the historic old-town (Rt 144). Also, I haven't figured out yet is where the liquor stores are hiding in Jefferson County WV. Looks like I'm going to have to recon Shepherdstown or Martinsburg. What part of VA are you in?

ggilbertva
01-04-2007, 18:03
Dave,

Regarding the BTAC collection, I did manage to acquire all four bottles; WLW, GTS, Saz and ER17. Schneiders in D.C. has a very nice collection of bourbons (side note: if you like beer, the Brickskellar in DC has over 1000 different beers on their menu...that's not a typo). WV is a controlled state also. I'm only about 15-20 minutes from Charlestown so I may pop in there and take a look at what they offer. I'm in Western Loudoun near Leesburg. What I've started doing is special ordering the items that the ABC stores typically do not carry. For instance, the WLW '06 was purchased from Schneiders; my GTS was purchased off the shelf at ABC and the ER17 was special order. Their catalog is actually fairly decent, they just don't order that much of the small batch, limited release items. They can put in a special order but that's no guarantee that they can get it. The other day I found a bottle of Wathens SB in one of the ABC stores. Funny thing is, Wathens isn't even in their order catalog and when I attempted to order additional bottles from a different store, they couldn't even look it up. There's absolutely no rhyme or reason to how ABC distributes their bourbon. In my case, it's special order or just plain dumb luck.

dgonano
01-04-2007, 18:43
Montgomery County, MD has their own warehouse and purchases their own whiskey. Much cheaper than the rest of Maryland. The Burtonsville, Md store carries more speciaty bourbons. A few years ago you could obtain Pappy 20, Lot b , the Bourbon Heritage Collection at prices below wholesale price in the remainder of Maryland. Today the selection is less but for EC, WT, JB brands and Elmer T Lee the prices can't be beat. Just check the monthly sales.

For the remainder of Maryland just go to a retailer who has some pull with the distributors and inquire of the availability of the bourbon you are seeking. They will check if available in Maryland and order it for you...just ask!

I know you can pass through Harpers Ferry and into West Virginia and stop at a 7-11 or other similar stores and the shelves will be full of Buffalo Trace.

emr454
01-05-2007, 07:24
Finally got the EC12 I ordered yesterday. Judging by the deep amber/red color I knew it was going to be good before I even tasted any. And boy was I right! Very woody on the tip of the tongue, I couldnt name any of the flavors in the middle, maybe dark fruits? Very very smooth, long lasting finish. I could still taste it for a few minutes afterwards. Definitely a good buy! I have not tried the JB Black yet but I thought to myself I could pay $22 for an 8yo bourbon, or $21 for a 12yo bourbon:skep:

I'll definitely be buying more of this in the future, but there are a few other brands I'd like to try before I start repeating previous purchases.

Eric

ggilbertva
01-05-2007, 14:00
Montgomery County, MD has their own warehouse and purchases their own whiskey. Much cheaper than the rest of Maryland. The Burtonsville, Md store carries more speciaty bourbons. A few years ago you could obtain Pappy 20, Lot b , the Bourbon Heritage Collection at prices below wholesale price in the remainder of Maryland. Today the selection is less but for EC, WT, JB brands and Elmer T Lee the prices can't be beat. Just check the monthly sales.

For the remainder of Maryland just go to a retailer who has some pull with the distributors and inquire of the availability of the bourbon you are seeking. They will check if available in Maryland and order it for you...just ask!

I know you can pass through Harpers Ferry and into West Virginia and stop at a 7-11 or other similar stores and the shelves will be full of Buffalo Trace.

Dave,

I found a store in Frederick, Ye Olde Spirit Shop. They specialize in the small batch bourbons. They're located next to the Hospital and apparently, the Hospital Dr.'s place a lot of orders for the small batch/limited release bourbons so now they carry many of them by default. I talked to the store clerk and he indicated they could get Hirsch, PWV and the BTAC series. I asked him about Four Roses SB....he just laughed and said "good luck with that one". I would like to know where I can find FRSB on the web. I tried Binny's and they didn't have it. I guess I could call Toddy's down in Bardstown and see if they have it.

In any case, if you're so inclined, check out http://yeoldspiritshop.com/ to see what they have.

Cheers - Greg

barturtle
01-05-2007, 14:59
It's highly likely that Toddy's does have it, but shipping in and out of KY in prohibited.

bobbyc
01-05-2007, 19:25
Even Rite Aid has it in Ky. It's not hard at all to find here.

ggilbertva
01-05-2007, 20:02
It's highly likely that Toddy's does have it, but shipping in and out of KY in prohibited.

Well that stinks. Oh, I'll have to keep on huntin then. I'm headed to the Carib on vacation next month so I plan on doing some duty free shopping....maybe I'll run across some hard to find selections.

barturtle
01-05-2007, 21:01
Even Rite Aid has it in Ky. It's not hard at all to find here.

True, in many cases it's harder to find Van Winkle than it is Four Roses here in KY.

ggilbertva
01-05-2007, 21:58
Well, the VW Lot B has showed up quite a bit on the shelves here in VA. They didn't carry it and then all of a sudden, bottles galore. I have one open and two bunkered just in care they get a case of the stupids and stop carrying it. They also carry, on occassion, PVW20. I have yet to see the 15 or 23. I've called around to a number of VA ABC stores and Maryland Liquor stores and they all tell me, after they stop laughing, that Four Roses doesn't travel this far north.

oldironstomach
01-07-2007, 20:05
Thanks for the info about Ye Olde Spirit Shop; I think I'll have to pay them a visit later this week. In DC it's hard to beat Schneider's pricing, but I've also had good luck with new releases at Ace Beverage, up on New Mexico Ave. in upper northwest.

It's great to see such an active bunch around here in DC/MD/NoVA, and thanks for the welcome!

ggilbertva
01-08-2007, 04:30
Thanks for the info about Ye Olde Spirit Shop; I think I'll have to pay them a visit later this week. In DC it's hard to beat Schneider's pricing, but I've also had good luck with new releases at Ace Beverage, up on New Mexico Ave. in upper northwest.

It's great to see such an active bunch around here in DC/MD/NoVA, and thanks for the welcome!

Dave,

I spied a bottle of Baby Saz at the Spirit Shop, it was $22. At Schneider's I believe it goes for around $30. Also the BTAC bottles were $49. I picked up a bottle of WT Tribute for $84 and my brother bought a bottle of Rittenhouse 21 YO Rye for $135. Not sure if the last two were good prices or not but we didn't care. We figured they were good finds.

Greg

oldironstomach
01-17-2007, 21:55
I drive through Harpers Ferry pretty regularly actually, and have never seen this.

Well, I spent a few hours tonight touring the nearby parts of WV and it's not nearly that simple, as it turns out. Yes, many 7-Eleven stores in the WV panhandle double as the local liquor store, but their selection is tiny, and mostly they carry a lot of clear and blended spirits...no BT product at all from what I saw. Beyond that, there are exceedingly few hard liquor stores at all...one per county, according to one shopkeeper I spoke with. Who also admitted to shopping in MD for our wider selection and lower prices!

No joy...not even any Isaiah Morgan rye.

ggilbertva
01-19-2007, 19:07
I drive through Harpers Ferry pretty regularly actually, and have never seen this.

Well, I spent a few hours tonight touring the nearby parts of WV and it's not nearly that simple, as it turns out. Yes, many 7-Eleven stores in the WV panhandle double as the local liquor store, but their selection is tiny, and mostly they carry a lot of clear and blended spirits...no BT product at all from what I saw. Beyond that, there are exceedingly few hard liquor stores at all...one per county, according to one shopkeeper I spoke with. Who also admitted to shopping in MD for our wider selection and lower prices!

No joy...not even any Isaiah Morgan rye.

Dave,

Thanks for that tidbit of info. I was going to venture in WV tomorrow to poke around. Guess I'll just head back in MD and cruise around Brunswick's 1/2 dozen or so Liquor stores.

Cheers/Greg