PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite WL Weller Regardless of Price

heatmiser
12-28-2006, 01:17
What is your favorite WL Weller regardless of price (PLEASE ONLY VOTE IF YOU HAVE TRIED THEM ALL)

shaggy
12-28-2006, 11:33
I love all of the Weller's and make them regular pours. I stick with the SR for mixing and I like the 12 y/o neat. The 107 is also great for mixing or on the rocks. This years Antique is probably my favorite pour right now. You can't go wrong with any WLW. I think it is very under-priced for what it is!

jburlowski
12-28-2006, 13:01
Centennial hits the sweet spot for me.

Gillman
12-28-2006, 18:46
Old Weller 107 Proof, as recently bought in Louisville.

I agree Antique in the past was a heavy, woody-oriented whiskey but the current bottling, "sans" the Antique name, is a marvel of balance and elegance.

Gary

straightwhiskeyruffneck
12-28-2006, 20:35
although not the best in my opinion, i drink antique 107 the most by far. its an awsome bourbon for the price, and i gotta give it my vote!

barturtle
12-28-2006, 22:42
although not the best in my opinion, i drink antique 107 the most by far. its an awsome bourbon for the price, and i gotta give it my vote!

AH but it's not what you drink most, as that is usually determined -at least somewhat- by price, but which you would drink if they were all priced the same.

Old Lamplighter
12-28-2006, 23:42
Much more difficult here for me than the WT question and vote. Personally, I rate the Antique 107 (especially the Louisville SW bottling) a very, very slight cut above the Centennial and a very slight cut above the 12YO. If I was not a fan primarily of the 100+ proofs, I would have gone with the 12YO. I am a huge fan all 3 though. I will not comment on the Special Reserve. I wonder sometimes if it even deserves the Weller name gracing the bottle......almost a disgrace to the fine old name IMHO.

Chaz7
12-30-2006, 14:50
I thoroughly enjoy the 107; but my vote was cast for the Centennial. I think it's a little richer. Of course, if William Larue was there, I may have voted a little differently. By the way, the 107 is currently my daily drinker.

Chaz7
12-30-2006, 14:53
[QUOTE=Antique in the past was a heavy, woody-oriented whiskey but the current bottling, "sans" the Antique name, is a marvel of balance and elegance.
Gary[/QUOTE]
I have not seen that; the Antique is still in heavy abundence around here. Is it a regional pour?

Gillman
12-30-2006, 16:28
I bought it a few weeks ago at Liquor Barn in Louisville and was told by a knowledgeable person that because the name Antique is associated with the W.L. Weller, Stagg, etc. line, Buffalo Trace is no longer using the name Antique on Old Weller 107 proof. I bought a bottle of Old Weller 107 which still has the name Antique on it last week in Las Vegas but I think that and your bottle are older stock. Maybe Ken Weber can confirm/correct.

I can honestly say the non-Antique labelled bottle I bought was one of the best bourbons I have ever had. I am not sure I will be able to reproduce that experience but I will try. :)

I suspect the pints (at least) now on the shelves at Liquor Barn which are non-Antique labelled are the same as what I bought and maybe Bobby or Jeff or others would like to buy one and confirm.

Gary

Nebraska
12-31-2006, 07:54
Hey Gary, can you post a picture of the new bottle?

Gillman
12-31-2006, 09:50
Mark, I did not keep the bottle! It was just a pint and it didn't last long.

Again maybe a local-to-Louisville or area will buy it and post a pic and review.

I got it at the Fern Valley Road location.

Gary

jburlowski
12-31-2006, 12:09
I am amazed at how close these results are.

Wire
12-31-2006, 16:28
I'm glad to see Weller 107 fans. I have to drive to the other end of town to find the one liquor store that still stocks it around here. Some bottles are easily up there with the best bourbons. I wish everyone had it.

drli
12-31-2006, 18:40
I'll have to try a bottle of Weller Centennial to vote here, but I really like the Weller 107. If we were to include price in this poll?? Which is the main reason for me not buying the Centennial in the 1st place.

Isoflex
01-01-2007, 23:15
The first alcohol I drank regularly, 18 y.o., was W.L. Weller SR and was all I drank for years unless I could afford the 107º spun gold bottles. I find the 12 year old just a little "bland". SR will always hold a special place but the 107 is best.

Edward_call_me_Ed
01-03-2007, 00:00
I am not allowed to vote, but I can still post!

I have only had the WL Weller 12 and of that only one bottle. Hard to find on the shelves here. I have only seen it at two stores. I haven't seen any of the others here in Sapporo. Next time you guys envy me for the Japan only bottlings, remember that!

Oh, and the 12 was a great pour!

Ed

barturtle
01-03-2007, 00:33
I guess I should point out the I have yet to have the Frankfort version of the Centennial, as I still have a few bottles of the Louisville stock left...so my vote is for that edition:cool:

nor02lei
01-03-2007, 14:57
I guess I should point out the I have yet to have the Frankfort version of the Centennial, as I still have a few bottles of the Louisville stock left...so my vote is for that edition:cool:

I go for that too even thou I only have had one pour of it at Delilah’s in Chicago.

Leif

BobA
01-04-2007, 15:00
Not meeting the prerequisite to vote (never seen the 12 year), I haven't, but will say that I am very fond of the Centenniel. Mine are Louisville.

Bob

Virus_Of_Life
01-07-2007, 17:24
I will not comment on the Special Reserve. I wonder sometimes if it even deserves the Weller name gracing the bottle......almost a disgrace to the fine old name IMHO.

Wow, that is pretty harsh! I can't speak to all these because while I have had them all, the 12 and Centennial were L'Ville (SW) and the SR and 107 were Frankfort. And While I'll say I may rank the SR last, it is still a good drink at a REALLY good price, in my area at Bevmo more it is $2 more than JB white!

Old Lamplighter
01-07-2007, 21:41
Wow, that is pretty harsh! I can't speak to all these because while I have had them all, the 12 and Centennial were L'Ville (SW) and the SR and 107 were Frankfort. And While I'll say I may rank the SR last, it is still a good drink at a REALLY good price, in my area at Bevmo more it is $2 more than JB white!

Well, just my opinion. I am guessing the older SR (Louisville) might be a tad better. My only experience has been with the newer SR label. Maybe it was a bad batch or something like that....tried a couple of bottles. The taste just had a fierce overiding of alcohol that just got worse as it proceeded from lips to throat. As is the case with many bottles, I thought it might get better with the second, third, etc., pours and letting the bottle 'breathe' a bit. It just never changed though and I ended up pouring about half of the last bottle on a rotting stump in the backyard......figured it would take care of a few ants and termites or at least give them one hell of party that night.

Solomon2
01-08-2007, 20:24
You gave it to the ants! Good grief, I would have used it to tenderize my steak or add another alarm to my chili.

Mr. Jon
01-12-2007, 17:45
I have only had one bottle of 12 y.o. and that was some time ago, but remember that it was pretty fine. The Centennial is very good and got my vote here.

Alas, my favorite Weller, the 19, is gone from my small bunker ... finished it with my brother last spring. What a pour that was! Better than the Pappy 20 to me.

I am not a fan of the Antique; too much wood and alcohol for me.

cheers!

BourbonJoe
01-12-2007, 21:06
I am not a fan of the Antique; too much wood and alcohol for me.

cheers!
You get more wood on a 7 year old than you do on a 12 and a 19? Go figure.
Joe :usflag:

AVB
01-17-2007, 19:24
I'm on my last bottle of Weller 19 :(

wskybnt
03-08-2007, 20:13
I am trying the 12 yr old tonight, for the first time. Very nice bourbon, I like it a lot.... But my vote has to go with the Old 107. I has moved up there along side WT 101 as being one that I go to at least twice a week. I replace it as soon as it runs out.

They are all nice, even the Special Reserve. I havent bought it in a while, but used to a lot..

Special Reserve
03-30-2007, 15:21
The Louisville version of Weller Centennial is a great drink. I found a little stash in a local party store. (In Michigan, this is hard to find.) They had three yesterday, today two, tomorrow none.

I really like all of the four in the poll.

Jazzhead
03-30-2007, 23:09
You know, I've long been a Wild Turkey and Old Forester fan, and Buffalo Trace products are scare here in South Jersey. But the more I sample the Weller line, the more I like it. Weller Antique 107 is actually available here, but I've never much cared for it - too harsh to my palate (I won't cut whiskey). But I've been making it a point on my trips to Washington to stop at the Maryland state line, where the Weller products are plentiful.

Lately, I've been able to enjoy for the first time the 12-year and the Special Reserve. What fine bourbons! And the Weller Centenniel is sweet nectar. Kudos to Buffalo Trace for a very drinkable and interesting range of the tastiest hooch!