PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Wild Turkey Regardless Of Price

heatmiser
12-28-2006, 00:25
What is your favorite Wild Turkey regardless of price (PLEASE ONLY VOTE IF YOU HAVE TRIED THEM ALL)

FlashPuppy
12-28-2006, 06:27
You have no space for Wild Turkey 12? What about the exports?

Vange
12-28-2006, 06:28
and tribute ;) or is that an export only?

heatmiser
12-28-2006, 09:21
I have not seen the 12 year or Tribute in my area (San Diego) or any online stores (Wine & Liquor Depot or Hi Times)...

jburlowski
12-28-2006, 12:02
As much as I like KS and RB, 101 is still my favorite!

FlashPuppy
12-28-2006, 12:18
I have not seen the 12 year or Tribute in my area (San Diego) or any online stores (Wine & Liquor Depot or Hi Times)...

My friend, you must not be looking hard enough. I have six WT12's. I know where there are a couple more. I know where there are eight Tribute's at. And yes, I live in San Diego. Where about's are you at? We need to get together soon here.

nor02lei
12-28-2006, 12:52
Of the 5 available I vote RR 90. Very big positive surprise to me. When I tasted it first I could not believe it was the same formula as the 101 version. Side by side how ever it seemed reasonable. Very different though but at least as good nose and taste in a different more pleasant and easy drinkable way. Defiantly more floral notes as well and it reminds me a little of KS and some of the Forester brands. The finish is the week part. Shorter and woodier than the 101 version.

Leif

gothbat
12-28-2006, 14:15
It was a tough call between the RB and the 101 but the 101 won my vote. If RR101 was on there this wouldn't have been a tough decision at all.

ILLfarmboy
12-28-2006, 15:42
Rare Breed edges out 101, just barely. RB is more complex and I like the undiluted high proof. I must confess I haven't had the privilege of tasting WT12 and the age statement 8 year old 101 is but a clouded memory from my wilder days.

Gillman
12-28-2006, 17:44
I find the results so far fascinating, my choice, RB, is way ahead.

I do believe there is greater consensus on what is good than we often think.

Gary

bigtoys
12-28-2006, 21:25
I know I have RB, RR, KS and 101; I guess I'll have to open'em up so I can vote.

bluesbassdad
12-28-2006, 21:54
With that limited list, I have to go with Rare Breed. That hasn't always been the case. I liked Kentucky Spirit better at first.

You have omitted my all time favorite, perhaps rightly so, given its diminished availability, Wild Turkey 12 y/o.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Old Lamplighter
12-28-2006, 22:36
With that limited list, I have to go with Rare Breed. That hasn't always been the case. I liked Kentucky Spirit better at first.

You have omitted my all time favorite, perhaps rightly so, given its diminished availability, Wild Turkey 12 y/o.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

All I can say is RB has my vote with a slight edge over KS - and - I concur in total with everything Dave says as being my sentiments as well.

BourbonJoe
12-29-2006, 07:31

As well as the grandaddy of em all - Tribute 15 y/o.
Joe :usflag:

kbuzbee
12-29-2006, 08:20
Well, Tribute is, to me, the best of the best. I enjoy all the WT products but that one is way ahead.

Of the ones you listed I voted for KS. RB is a very, very close second.

Regards,

Ken

Chaz7
12-30-2006, 14:04
I voted KS; although my current bottle is RB (nice Christmas box). I have both RR 101 and 90, and I realize for many this is heresy, but I do enjoy the 90 a wee bit more.

Old Lamplighter
01-01-2007, 00:26
I have both RR 101 and 90, and I realize for many this is heresy, but I do enjoy the 90 a wee bit more.

Not a problem with me. I have not met a WT yet that was not welcome in my home. IMHO, a 90-proof Turkey is still better than 90% of anything else available right now. So, call me a heretic too!

ggilbertva
01-03-2007, 19:21
For me, hands down KS.

Jazzhead
01-03-2007, 20:01
From the choices presented, I went with the WT 101. It's simply the best twenty dollar bottle of bourbon on the planet. My regular WT pour remains the RR 101, of which I've bunkered several bottles. For six bucks a bottle more, it's the same perfect proof and a better balanced experience. The Rare Breed is excellent, but it's a little higher in alcohol, which limits its quaffability, and isn't as balanced as the RR101. I just killed a bottle of the stuff yesterday. I've never tried the Kentucky Spirit or the 90 proof RR. (I keep buying the RR101 to bunker instead.)

wskybnt
01-03-2007, 20:08
From the choices presented, I went with the WT 101. It's simply the best twenty dollar bottle of bourbon on the planet.

Thats what I'm talkin about....

To me it was a tough choice between RB and KS. But then I thought, if I walked into the local store tonight, and the owner said, "Take your pick of a free Turkey" I would have to go to the KS. So that is what made my decision...

Hey, you cant lose with any of them.....

BTW you forgot the RYE!!! And it aint no loser....

NYtaster
01-04-2007, 19:31
A question of what is the best of the best really IMHO. I voted RB, it seems to me to be the most flavorful and sure keeps me warm on the cold winter nights up here in NY, although it did ht 50 degrees today 1/4 and I saw a few lucky souls on one of the local golf courses!!!!

Tim

CrispyCritter
01-04-2007, 21:03
The only WT's I've had have been the standard 101, the Rye, RR101, and Rare Breed.

It would be a tough choice if I could only have one of them!

JRomain
01-09-2007, 01:20
Why is WT Rye not an option?

Str8RYE
01-09-2007, 07:27
I think heatmiser was interested in your favorite, current WT bourbon, not whiskey.

TnSquire
01-28-2007, 19:33
None of the above

JRomain
01-28-2007, 23:31
I'm pretty surpised RR 90 is favored over WT 101. RR 90 is an overly oaky, unrefined, alcoholic mess.

kbuzbee
01-29-2007, 05:13
I'm pretty surpised RR 90 is favored over WT 101. RR 90 is an overly oaky, unrefined, alcoholic mess.

Wow, I couldn't disagree with that more.... I understand folks who liked the RR101 being upset that the new version was lower proof for more $. Include me in that group. But I gave it a shot (sorry!) and found it held up quite nicely. In fact I was very surprized at just how well it acquited itself. I'd still prefer the original but the new one is 90% there (to me!). I haven't tried one since they came out so maybe something has changed since then but the bottle I had was really quite nice. Well balanced with that WT Rye overtone and a decent amount of aging. I actually didn't WANT to like it as much as I did.

Ken

bluesbassdad
01-29-2007, 12:36
Ken,

Maybe someone got up on the wrong side of the rock (Geico-derived pun intended) the day he tasted it. :grin:

Seriously, your post reminds me that I have a bottle of the RR 90 that I was planning to save until I open the last bottle of my stash of RR 101. Only thing is, now I can't remember the point of doing that. I think I'll open it tonight.

It's been quite a while since I've had the 101. Perhaps a side-by-side tasting is in order.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

ILLfarmboy
01-29-2007, 13:53
I've already voted for WT RB some time ago, I tend to like the higher proof bottlings. If WT RR had been available in a barrel proof version it may have gotten my vote. I liked the WR RR101 very much. It saddened me when they droped the proof to 90, but eventualy out of curiosity I bought a bottle. I found it to be essentially identical to the 101 just a bit weaker. I have never tasted a bad Wild Turkey product, even their "Mild Turkey" 80 proofer is nothing I would spit out.

kbuzbee
01-29-2007, 16:00
Ken,

Maybe someone got up on the wrong side of the rock (Geico-derived pun intended) the day he tasted it. :grin:

Seriously, your post reminds me that I have a bottle of the RR 90 that I was planning to save until I open the last bottle of my stash of RR 101. Only thing is, now I can't remember the point of doing that. I think I'll open it tonight.

It's been quite a while since I've had the 101. Perhaps a side-by-side tasting is in order.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

I fully support that, Dave. Make sure to post your impressions.

Ken

JRomain
01-30-2007, 00:01
Ken,

Nope. I'm actually very open-minded. In fact, before each pour of RR 90, I tell myself to like it and approach it with an open mind. Well, it remains too alcoholic and messy for me. Sorry.

kbuzbee
01-30-2007, 05:48
Nope. I'm actually very open-minded. In fact, before each pour of RR 90, I tell myself to like it and approach it with an open mind. Well, it remains too alcoholic and messy for me. Sorry.

That's cool, that's why it's good there are a variety of style out there to suite the wide variety of tastes. My wife would tell you the same thing about ALL whiskey.....

Ken

EvanB
02-28-2007, 07:52
Is Wild Turkey 80 a mostly rye or wheat bourbon? Is it similar to Basil Hayden's?

ratcheer
02-28-2007, 19:17
Is Wild Turkey 80 a mostly rye or wheat bourbon? Is it similar to Basil Hayden's?

Well, there is no wheat in it. It is a rye-flavored bourbon, but only moderately heavy on the rye. I personally don't care much for it and much prefer to spend a couple of extra dollars to get the 101-proof version.

Tim

boss302
03-24-2007, 22:57
What is your favorite Wild Turkey regardless of price (PLEASE ONLY VOTE IF YOU HAVE TRIED THEM ALL)

I find Russells' Reserve to be an excellent cigar bourbon. The hint of cedar neatly compliments that "fresh out of the humidor" taste of the Ashton cabinet series.

As a mixer, however, I like Wild Turkey 80 for the fact that it has enough neutrality to prevent it from overpowering whatever I mix with it. The 80 makes an excellent bourbon Old Fashioned, if I do say so myself...

boss302
03-24-2007, 23:02

Hi Evan,

No, I certainly wouldn't compare Wild Turkey 80 to Old Grand-Dad or Basil Hayden's. The body of the WT80 is heavier, sweeter, and less peppery, not unlike the standard white-label Jim Beam.

Generally, if a bourbon doesn't say "wheat recipe," or something along those lines, on the label, then I'm pretty sure you can assume it is a rye recipe.

Basil Hayden's and Old Grand-Dad (a recipe from Basil Hayden's grandson) use high amounts of rye and barley in the recipe-- among the highest in the bourbon industry, as far as I know. Virtually all Wild Turkey products, however, use significantly more corn in their mash bill.

Ambernecter
03-26-2007, 10:25
Rare Breed from that list and I voted in a heartbeat...

WT don't make a bad whiskey and the 8YO 101 is my No.1 everyday pour.

RB is especially pleasing because of the higher proof without being overpowering. Like every WT offering I find that they work for me but I can't really put my finger on why - I just know it's my kinda Whiskey!

Whilst the WT Rye is not an Earthshaker for me, anything made by WT is a winner in my eyes - the 12YO (while I had some) went waayyy too fast and was something else! If 12YO were an option I'd have voted for that.

BourbonJoe
03-29-2007, 16:33
If you live in PA and like Rare Breed, it's on sale for 29.95. Go get ya a bunch.

ratcheer
03-30-2007, 15:17
Looks like Rare Breed is increasing its lead in this poll, lately.

Tim

Jazzhead
03-30-2007, 17:54
If you live in PA and like Rare Breed, it's on sale for 29.95. Go get ya a bunch.

Boy! Gotta cross that Delaware River and stock up!