PDA

View Full Version : New member - just found the forum

UK78ALUM
01-17-2007, 06:45
Greetings from the heart of bourbon country. I was fortunate to find this forum as bourbon, golf , cigars and UK sports are always worth discussing!

We spent last Saturday in Bardstown, and toured MM and Jim Beam. My wife is a Booker's fan (I married well! :cool:), so we were partial to the Beam tour. I like it too, but prefer Stagg as my "high octane" choice with Woodford Reserve and Knob Creek as my regular choices. Honorable mention goes to Wathen's (sp?) for an excellent lower cost alternative.

Anyway, thanks for allowing me to participate here. I appreciate it!

T47
01-17-2007, 07:41
Welcome to SB, I am sure you will find lot's of great information here. I envy you your location in the heart of Bourbon country!
My family thinks I'm nuts of course...they all want to go to Hawaii, or DisneyWorld....me, I want to go to Kentucky! Oh well, it is a trip I shall save for when my kids are gone.
I look forward to your contributions!

:toast:

Mike R
01-17-2007, 14:11
Welcome UK, Iam somewhat new here too. Good luck to Tubby and the boys. Will be rooting for them unless they meet Michigan State in the tourney.

MikeR

ggilbertva
01-19-2007, 19:40
Lucky you...sitting in KY. When you took the Beam tour, did they let you barrel sample the Knob Creek? I must admit, I'm not a Knob Creek fan but filling up a glass of Knob Creek right out of the barrel was an exceptional treat. I wish they would bottle cask strength Knob....I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I do like the Wathens, A really nice pour for a reasonable price.

Welcome to SB....

Cheers. :toast:

cowdery
01-19-2007, 23:32
They do bottle cask strength Knob Creek. It's called Booker's.

T47
01-20-2007, 00:29
Chuck,
I learn something new all the time. So Cask Strength means it is not diluted? Is that the only difference between Knob and Bookers?

I see where the Beam ad for Bookers says its the only uncut, unfiltered, straight from the barrel conoisseurs sipping bourbon available today, isn't this true of GT Stagg as well?

Edward_call_me_Ed
01-20-2007, 03:10
Chuck,
I learn something new all the time. So Cask Strength means it is not diluted? Is that the only difference between Knob and Bookers?

I see where the Beam ad for Bookers says its the only uncut, unfiltered, straight from the barrel conoisseurs sipping bourbon available today, isn't this true of GT Stagg as well?

Of course it is true of Stagg. And the William Larue Weller, too. Don't believe everything that advertisers say in their ads.

Then again, straight from the barrel isn't quite true of any of these, is it? All of these are batch whiskies, not single barrels.

Now, my Blanton's Straight from the Barrel is just that. Or have I fallen for advertising>

Ed

Edward_call_me_Ed
01-20-2007, 03:16
They do bottle cask strength Knob Creek. It's called Booker's.

I am not quite sure I agree with you Chuck. As foolish of me as that might be since you know so much more about bourbon than I do. But Knob Creek is 9 years old and my current bottle of Bookers is 6 years 11 months old. How, then, can they be the same?

Ed

barturtle
01-20-2007, 07:39
I am not quite sure I agree with you Chuck. As foolish of me as that might be since you know so much more about bourbon than I do. But Knob Creek is 9 years old and my current bottle of Bookers is 6 years 11 months old. How, then, can they be the same?

Ed

To further Ed's argument, Bobby once posted that Beam "barrels to brand".

T47
01-20-2007, 13:25
But Knob Creek is 9 years old and my current bottle of Bookers is 6 years 11 months old. How, then, can they be the same?Ed

Isn't it just that they would take the "Knob Creek" out at 6 years, and bottle it with out adding water, and you have Bookers. Leave it in another 3 years, take it out and drop the Proof to 100 by adding water then bottle it and you have Knob Creek.
At least I think that is what he is saying?

cowdery
01-20-2007, 17:40
All of the caveats above are correct, including the fact that a few years ago Jim Beam did begin to "barrel to brand." The point there is that they then store something like Knob, which they age for 9 years, someplace where it won't overage in that time. In other words, they give the long agers the slower aging locations, lower in the warehouse and closer to its center.

As for the age, yes, Knob is generally a little older, probably and year or two at most. Remember with aging that months don't matter much. What matters is summers.

And, of course, every brand has a profile that is matched when it is dumped for bottling, which is the essense of "small batch," to the extent that it means anything at all.

But, all of that said, a barrel-proof Knob would be almost the same as Booker's and if you like Knob but want it at a higher proof, Booker's should sufficiently scratch that itch.

ggilbertva
01-20-2007, 21:00
Hmm...I've had the Booker's but unfortunately, can't do a side by side comparison. I just remember receiving that pour or Knob right out of the barrel and that it was really really good. I may have to re-introduce myself to the Booker's since it's been a couple of years since I've had a pour.

Edward_call_me_Ed
01-21-2007, 04:13
All of the caveats above are correct, including the fact that a few years ago Jim Beam did begin to "barrel to brand." The point there is that they then store something like Knob, which they age for 9 years, someplace where it won't overage in that time. In other words, they give the long agers the slower aging locations, lower in the warehouse and closer to its center.

As for the age, yes, Knob is generally a little older, probably and year or two at most. Remember with aging that months don't matter much. What matters is summers.

And, of course, every brand has a profile that is matched when it is dumped for bottling, which is the essense of "small batch," to the extent that it means anything at all.

But, all of that said, a barrel-proof Knob would be almost the same as Booker's and if you like Knob but want it at a higher proof, Booker's should sufficiently scratch that itch.

Thanks Chuck, makes sense.

I think they have it backwards, at least from a marketing perspective. Shouldn't the higher priced premium brand, Booker's, be the older of the two? Why not bottle the older, though more slowly aged, bourbon as Booker's? "Huh, this stuff isn't even seven years old! Why should I pay fifty bucks for it?"

I think this deserves a new thread. I will start one.

Ed

cowdery
01-22-2007, 00:58
The story of the Small Batch Collection is that Beam launched the four together to consumers with the strategy of only marketing them as a collection unless any of the four emerged in the marketplace as a brand in its own right. Knob did. At the time, no one really knew what combination of age, proof, price and image would strike the public's fancy. By no means at that time did they assume that the oldest would be perceived as the best, and who is to say that is why Knob was the most successful? Some say it's the cool bottle.

Edward_call_me_Ed
01-22-2007, 01:08
The story of the Small Batch Collection is that Beam launched the four together to consumers with the strategy of only marketing them as a collection unless any of the four emerged in the marketplace as a brand in its own right. Knob did. At the time, no one really knew what combination of age, proof, price and image would strike the public's fancy. By no means at that time did they assume that the oldest would be perceived as the best, and who is to say that is why Knob was the most successful? Some say it's the cool bottle.

Ah, evolution! Survival of the fittest! I do like the bottle a lot. But I, myself, don't buy KC very often. I like Booker's better and if I want to go for a cheaper Beam I go for Jim Beam Black or Jim Beam Choice. I often blend these last two, sometimes adding a splash of Booker's to up the proof. Maybe I am just mixing up my own Knob Creek....

Ed

barturtle
01-22-2007, 07:58

I thought that Bookers was released before the others, in a stoneware jug...I remember something about that when touring Beam with Fred Noe during a barrel purchase...it's a vague recollection, but I'm pretty sure about it.

wildcatdon
01-22-2007, 11:05
I am new to this board also..Love Bourbon...Has anyone tried Jefferson's Reserve? I havent but i will in the future..It is a bit pricey but i want to sample it..My friend has a bourbon bar in his basement and we have 21 bottles on it..there is a great variety..Feel free to ask about different ones if you havent had them,there is a good chance i have...

I would like to know where would be a good place to get any posters or drink glasses besides the websites from our guys in bardstown..any suggestions would be appreciated..i live in louisville...thanks

jburlowski
01-22-2007, 12:53
I am new to this board also..Love Bourbon...Has anyone tried Jefferson's Reserve? I havent but i will in the future..It is a bit pricey but i want to sample it..My friend has a bourbon bar in his basement and we have 21 bottles on it..there is a great variety..Feel free to ask about different ones if you havent had them,there is a good chance i have...

I would like to know where would be a good place to get any posters or drink glasses besides the websites from our guys in bardstown..any suggestions would be appreciated..i live in louisville...thanks

IMHO... good but not great. Early on, when JR ws initially released, I would rate it as very good. As it has been (apparently) replaced with less aged stock), I would rate it as only good... particularly in light of its price.

bluesbassdad
01-22-2007, 16:37
Look here (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4497#poststop). You might even be amused by my post in that thread.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

cowdery
01-23-2007, 16:19
I thought that Bookers was released before the others, in a stoneware jug...I remember something about that when touring Beam with Fred Noe during a barrel purchase...it's a vague recollection, but I'm pretty sure about it.

I don't believe Booker's was ever in a stoneware jug. It first appeared as a business gift for distributors and other "friends" of the company. When they decided to make it a consumer product, they created the rest of the small batch set. There was a limited roll out of Booker's only in Kentucky, but for the rest of the country Booker's appeared as part of the SBC.

gluce
01-25-2007, 19:48
I have a question?

I went to a tasting at a local retailer a few months ago. It was all Beam products, I got the worst headache from the stuff and we did the whole line, but not to the point of intoxication.

I was in St Louis yesterday and I decided to give a go again, I tried the bookers and wa-la my headache again. This is the only line that does this. I have tried many bourbons but Beam products to me are incompatible with me.

Is this possible? A whole line that gives a person a headache. I know I have seen some other post about headaches. Has anyone else experienced this. Sorry to go off track a bit but it was in the Beam thing!!!

George

luv2hunt
01-25-2007, 21:27
I don't know if it's the "Beam" thing with you or not.....but I'd suggest drinking water as a side to your bourbon.

Wine gives me a headache.....and the water doesn't help! Tylenol does :)

Dawn

cowdery
01-25-2007, 22:05
It's possible you have an allergy to something that is only in Beam products, but it is hard to imagine what that could be. However, as the old joke says, if it hurts when you do that, stop doing that.

I used to have that problem with Budweiser but no other beer. I followed the advice above.