PDA

View Full Version : Help me round out my collection

lar03
01-22-2007, 00:59
I'm not exactly new to this forum, but this is definitely a newbie question. I'm in Afghanistan right now, and I've ordered the following off the internet so they are waiting for me when I get home:

PVW 15
WELLER ANTIQUE
BOOKERS
KC
OGD 114
BLANTONS
EC 18
ETL SB
BT (I bought this right before I left the states)

I'm asking for advice on what I need to round out my collection.
I plan on adding a couple of WT expressions, but I'm not sure which ones(probably 101, and one of their top shelf Bourbons). I'm also going to be stopping at the duty free store in Frankfurt on my way home. Is there anything I might find there, that I won't be able to find in Oregon? I've had just about every Bourbon on the bottom shelves in Oregon, so I'm not looking to explore those, mainly just the middle shelf and up. Thanks.

Edward_call_me_Ed
01-22-2007, 02:27
I'm not exactly new to this forum, but this is definitely a newbie question. I'm in Afghanistan right now, and I've ordered the following off the internet so they are waiting for me when I get home:

PVW 15
WELLER ANTIQUE
BOOKERS
KC
OGD 114
BLANTONS
EC 18
ETL SB

I plan on adding a couple of WT expressions, but I'm not sure which ones(probably 101, and one of their top shelf Bourbons). I'm also going to be stopping at the duty free store in Frankfurt on my way home. Is there anything I might find there, that I won't be able to find in Oregon? I've had just about every Bourbon on the bottom shelves in Oregon, so I'm not looking to explore those, mainly just the middle shelf and up. Thanks.

Well, it sounds like you have a fairly well rounded out list already. Rye, rye heavy, wheated bourbons. You have bourbons from Beam, Heaven Hill, and Buffalo Trace distilleries. Have you had the EC 12? How about an Evan William's SB? What about a Rye, WT Rye, Rittenhouse BIB for affordable introductions. Saz Jr or Saz 18 for more expensive expressions.

Ed

T47
01-22-2007, 08:59
I think the 8 year old Wild Turkey would be available at the duty free there? That is something you could not find here. You have a pretty nice group going there. Maybe some VW Lot B, Rock Hill Farms, WL Weller 12 or Makers would be nice? It looks like you have some fine drinking ahead of you.

:toast:

lar03
01-22-2007, 12:48
Thanks for the help. I have tried the EC 12, and EWSB. EWSB will always be one of my favorites, although I liked the 94 better than more recent offerings. The EC 12 was very good, but tasted a little too sweet to me to be a daly pour.
I hadn't thought of adding a straight Rye, but I like the idea. Is Old Overholt any good, or would I be better off with the WT? Those are the only 2 that I know I can get in Oregon.
As for the Lot B, Weller 12, and Rock Hill, I will have to wait to try those. My wife has told me I have enough (what does she know?) so anything else I sneak into the house will have to come from the liquor store, and be paid for in cash, and Oregon doesn't sell any of those. I have never been too impressed by the MM, but I am considering it, just so I can try it next to other bourbons, and see if it changes my mind.
I also have quite a few cigars (85, or so, different cigars at last count) can anyone suggest pairings with the Bourbons I have?

Edward_call_me_Ed
01-22-2007, 23:05
Thanks for the help. I have tried the EC 12, and EWSB. EWSB will always be one of my favorites, although I liked the 94 better than more recent offerings. The EC 12 was very good, but tasted a little too sweet to me to be a daly pour.
I hadn't thought of adding a straight Rye, but I like the idea. Is Old Overholt any good, or would I be better off with the WT? Those are the only 2 that I know I can get in Oregon.
As for the Lot B, Weller 12, and Rock Hill, I will have to wait to try those. My wife has told me I have enough (what does she know?) so anything else I sneak into the house will have to come from the liquor store, and be paid for in cash, and Oregon doesn't sell any of those. I have never been too impressed by the MM, but I am considering it, just so I can try it next to other bourbons, and see if it changes my mind.
I also have quite a few cigars (85, or so, different cigars at last count) can anyone suggest pairings with the Bourbons I have?

I think that both of those ryes are pretty good. I like the WT Rye better of the two. If you like those you can try to find some of the other Ryes that are out there. Some of them are Fantastic!

Check out the smokes forum for cigar bourbon pairings.

Ed

Jazzhead
01-23-2007, 04:58
Besides the WT expressions, I'd recommend a Dickel No. 12 and an Old Forester Signature (that's their new name for their 100 proof expression). That'll give you the best Tenessee whiskey and Brown Forman's premium bourbon product.

HighTower
01-23-2007, 05:26
I'd have to agree with Van Winkle Lot B and Rock Hill Farms, I'm about to get both myself, after hearing so many good things on these forums. Also look out for Ancient Ancient Age 10yo (great value!)

Scott

lar03
01-26-2007, 23:39
Well my wife lost some weight recently, so I conviced her that she needed to buy some new clothes. The guilt over how much money she spent was all the leverage I needed to finish my collection.

I just ordered:
Dickel #12
Weller 12 yo
AAA
Lot B
Saz Jr.
WT RB
Rock Hill Farms

I was the all around winner here, and my wife thinks she is spoiled. Can it get any better than that?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

HighTower
01-27-2007, 00:51
Well my wife lost some weight recently, so I conviced her that she needed to buy some new clothes. The guilt over how much money she spent was all the leverage I needed to finish my collection.

I just ordered:
Dickel #12
Weller 12 yo
AAA
Lot B
Saz Jr.
WT RB
Rock Hill Farms

I was the all around winner here, and my wife thinks she is spoiled. Can it get any better than that?

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Nice work, I just did similar. Sold a JD Gold Medal collection, and a few other bottles, and it helped me create a list of 20 bourbons to order form Binnys. I should have some early next week, and I might order more this weekend. My wife asked if I will buy her a $200 handbag, no worries! Puts me in the good books and makes me feels less guilty about spending so much on bourbon. Can't wait for the Pappy 23:grin:

Scott

Jazzhead
01-27-2007, 07:52
So both the bunker and the wife are looking good? Sounds like a darn fine situation! :cool:

tango-papa
01-27-2007, 10:52

PVW 15
WELLER ANTIQUE
BOOKERS
KC
OGD 114
BLANTONS
EC 18
ETL SB

Please accept my thanks for your service - whether you're military or a contractor - in my opinion all are equally important in the GWOT.
FYI - I'm ex-military and detest politics / politicians, but fully support what we (US) are trying to do - as do all of my friends who are either in Irag/A'stan or have been there or are going back.

While I am still without doubt, a Bourbon novice, I can recommend Wild Turkey Rare Breed - a very tasty drink that I enjoy (sometimes with, sometimes without water) experimenting with...

Stay safe over there and may you have a safe journey home.

Regards,
Todd

Virus_Of_Life
01-27-2007, 12:46
I'm also going to be stopping at the duty free store in Frankfurt on my way home. Is there anything I might find there, that I won't be able to find in Oregon? I've had just about every Bourbon on the bottom shelves in Oregon, so I'm not looking to explore those, mainly just the middle shelf and up. Thanks.

If they have it get yourself WT Heritage and 12 year, there is a good chance they will both be available. And trust me you ain't finding anything to compare to those to in Oregon! I used to live there and still visit every 3 or 4 months.

HighTower
01-27-2007, 13:58
I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure the Heritage was a bottle that WT did exclusively for DFS Galleria stores, which means there will be none in Frankfort. There is a store in Hollywood and a store in Hawaii that still sells it, other than that it would be Japan or other parts of Asia. Hopefully the WT 12 will be available.

Scott

TnSquire
02-02-2007, 07:25
So both the bunker and the wife are looking good? Sounds like a darn fine situation! :cool:

You just need to get home now to take advantage of these new developments! Be safe and thank you for your service.