PDA

View Full Version : Trying something new.....Bourbon

GoodDram
01-25-2007, 11:49
I'm not usually a Bourbon guy. I'm a Scotch guy. Hey, no death threats now:slappin: . I tried Knob Creek the other week. I'm interested in trying some other quality (but economical) Bourbons. The following has been recommended to me. What would you recommend to turn somebody to Bourbon?:

Elijah Craig 12 Year
Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 Year
Evan Williams Single Barrel 1996
Buffalo Trace

luv2hunt
01-25-2007, 12:04
Try this link (http://www.straightbourbon.com/ubbthreads-6.5/showthread.php?t=6144&highlight=scotch+drinkers)

I'd pass on those and go straight to the GTStagg! My previously Scotch loving boss is now a bourbon fanatic and his favorites are GTStagg and Pappy 15 :)

Dawn

snakster
01-25-2007, 12:44
Haven't tried the Evan, but have had the other 3. All are good choices for economical bourbons. Heck they're good choices regardless in my book. Check my avatar for my personal preference, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three.

OscarV
01-25-2007, 13:40
What would you recommend to turn somebody to Bourbon?:

I suggest Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit.
For me it has everything, the nose alone is worth it, several aromas.
The taste is layered from sweet to spice.

lar03
01-26-2007, 00:08
The following has been recommended to me. What would you recommend to turn somebody to Bourbon?:

Elijah Craig 12 Year
Buffalo Trace

I have had them all, and they are all worth trying. EWSB edges out BT for my all around favorite, and one of the two is always on my shelf.

nor02lei
01-26-2007, 02:18
I'm not usually a Bourbon guy. I'm a Scotch guy. Hey, no death threats now:slappin: . I tried Knob Creek the other week. I'm interested in trying some other quality (but economical) Bourbons. The following has been recommended to me. What would you recommend to turn somebody to Bourbon?:

Elijah Craig 12 Year
Buffalo Trace

I would say that straight rye is easier to appreciate for a single malt drinker. I would suggest Rittenhouse BIB or Sazerac with no age statement.

Leif

Jazzhead
01-26-2007, 04:11
I second Oscar's pick of WT Kentucky Spirit. I'm a WT drinker from way back, but had never tried the single barrel Kentucky Spirit until this weekend. Good Lawd that stuff is good! The nose, the complex taste, and most of all, the balance. Like Oscar says, it's got it all!

Now is it economical? Sure it is - compared to Scotch! :cool:

Frodo
01-26-2007, 19:41
I'm not usually a Bourbon guy. I'm a Scotch guy...The following has been recommended to me. What would you recommend to turn somebody to Bourbon?:

Elijah Craig 12 Year
Buffalo Trace

Of these, EC 12 or EWSB would be my choices. It seems like HH bourbons are a little...lighter than other bourbons...

ILLfarmboy
01-27-2007, 13:52
I would say that straight rye is easier to appreciate for a single malt drinker. I would suggest Rittenhouse BIB or Sazerac with no age statement.

Leif

I see where you might be coming from. The biggest complaint from a lot of scotch drinkers is "bourbon is too sweet" starting the transition with rye sidesteps that issue.

I've been on a rye kick lately. However last night I went out to listen to some live blues. I drank WT 101; not a bourbon most would describe as overly sweet but its sweetness was very apparent in contrast to all the rye I've been drinking.

Gillman
01-27-2007, 15:01
I find malt whisky (considered the acme of the Scotch whisky experience) equal in sweetness, if not more so in some cases, to bourbon. I think when people refer negatively to the sweetness of bourbon they are referencing that in relation to blended Scotch or Canadian whisky. Yet, in traditional terms, the latter are inferior to bourbon or straight rye. In other words, the criticism, while it can't be gainsaid as such (because that is how the people feel) can be viewed as misinformed...

Gary

mythrenegade
01-27-2007, 15:26
Another reasonably priced good introduction to bourbon is Maker's Mark. That's where I started. It isn't a world beater, but it's always a good pour and worth having around. If you want something that is a step above, try the Eagle Rare 10yo mentioned above.

Joel

CrispyCritter
01-27-2007, 21:56
If you're accustomed to high-strength Scotches like Aberlour A'Bunadh or Laphroaig CS, then any vintage George T. Stagg would be a good choice - or the 2006 William Larue Weller, or Thomas H. Handy Rye, or Old Grand-Dad 114.

For lower-proof pours, Buffalo Trace, Old Grand-Dad BIB, Rittenhouse BIB Rye, Sazerac Rye (either the NAS "baby" version or the 18yo), or Wild Turkey 101 bourbon or rye would be good choices.

RoyalWater
02-01-2007, 18:48
If you've been drinking blended Scotch, especially of the Cutty Sark/ J&B/ Grand MacNish variety, you might find Old Grand-Dad very enjoyable. Wild Turkey is never a bad choice either. Wild Turkey also makes an affordably priced rye whiskey.

GoodDram
02-02-2007, 19:08
I got the Elijah Craig 12. It's Interesting, good and different. Thanks.