PDA

View Full Version : What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter/Spring '07

Pages : [1] 2

jbutler
02-03-2007, 23:06
By popular demand, the thread continues.

Grain Brain
02-03-2007, 23:09
Previously, on "What bourbon did you purchase today?"

It was Old Taylor BIB day in Manhattan today. Two quarts bottled in '79, one distilled in '70, the other in 71. And a fifth distilled in '67 and bottled in '74. Amazing to find this stuff still hanging around here on the island.

Man, I bet there are some real gems up that way. I've only visited NYC once in early '01, and it looked like a treasure trove of nooks and crannies. I'd love to revisit. Nice finds there, by the way.

fitzharry
02-04-2007, 06:53
I picked up an old bottle of Old Forester BIB 100 proof, and two bottles of Old Charter Proprieter's Reserve 13 year old.

gluce
02-04-2007, 18:57
I purchased 7 bottles of Pappy 15 for 34 bucks a piece. Last week I purchased 6 bottles of Pappy 20 for 62 bucks a piece. I hope that all my 15 yr is SW whiskey :pope:.

There is no indicator as to when these were produced, or is there?????

Later,

George

JDutton
02-04-2007, 20:01
3 bottles of Jacob's Well yesterday. There are 3 left in the store.

TNbourbon
02-04-2007, 21:12
...There is no indicator as to when these were produced, or is there?????

Later,

George

No, but the store manager should be able to tell you when they were entered into stock at that store, from which you generally can draw appropriate inferences. Pappy 15 doesn't stay on the shelves long in most places.

panzer
02-04-2007, 22:54
First time posting here, yes a newbie to SB, but not to the joys of bourbon. Happy to say that I am awaiting a shipment of BTAC-Stagg, Saz and Weller. I gave the names to a relative in the hope that they might be able to find them and hit the jackpot! Based on what they said was on the bottle of GTS, they may be '05, but won't know for sure until they get here.
I've been reading the posts here and learning a great deal. Read about how great BTAC is supposed to be and started the search, didn't think I'd be able to find any, so I feel fortunate. Can't wait to try them. Thanks to all for helping make my wallet lighter.

photogjunkie
02-05-2007, 13:50
Went hunting and found 3 Old Charter Proprietors Reserves (Heritage Collection) and 2 Old Fitzgerald BIB 1.75 DSP-16.

Good hunt.

gothbat
02-05-2007, 15:02
Found a WTKS that was bottled in 2000 this weekend. Not only does it have the pewter top but the label is different than the one on the current bottling.

Grain Brain
02-06-2007, 22:09
Tonight, a friend of mine brought me a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel from a Kentucky business trip for me. I'm stoked!

I also snagged a bottle of WTRR 101 in Austin today. Last one on the shelf. I couldn't just leave it there - it looked so lonely.

Edward_call_me_Ed
02-06-2007, 23:53
Here are the bottles that I mentioned earlier. They came on Monday. If you look closely most of them are open already. I still have some of the Evan Williams 15 open. The Blanton's Straight from the Barrel is open so I haven't had pressing need of the Blanton's Silver, but I need to give it a test run so it will be opened tonight. The VWFR Rye 13 is looking mighty good...

In the earlier post I said something about Mitchner Rye (sp?) but I was mistaken. It is Hirsch Sekection 13 year old Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey. Pretty good stuff. I am looking forward to doing a head to head with the VWFRR 13. I'm sure I prefer the later, but won't know for sure until I open it.

Ed

bluesbassdad
02-07-2007, 01:25
Ed,

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Hirsch and VW ryes are the same product.

I found a bottle of the Hirsch rye in a little wine shop in Long Beach about four years ago. I couldn't tell any difference between it and the VW.

IIRC, someone in the know (Julian? not sure) confirmed my impression.

I guess thats a good news/bad news situation, eh? :grin:

An official time out for a search revealed this post (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21925#poststop).

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Edward_call_me_Ed
02-07-2007, 08:00
Ed,

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Hirsch and VW ryes are the same product.

I found a bottle of the Hirsch rye in a little wine shop in Long Beach about four years ago. I couldn't tell any difference between it and the VW.

IIRC, someone in the know (Julian? not sure) confirmed my impression.

I guess thats a good news/bad news situation, eh? :grin:

An official time out for a search revealed this post (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21925#poststop).

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Very interesting, Dave.

I cracked the VWFRR 13 before I read your post and thought, "Yep, this is better than the Hirsch. Darker caramel/brown sugar. Subtle spice that is none the less up front and accessible. I don't really need to do a side by side, but I will anyway."

Then I read your post and the link to Julian's comments. I poured some of my Hirsch Select. "Nope, while this is excellent it just isn't as good as the VWFRR 13." I went' back and forth between the two. The Hirsch was 'thinner' not as sweet, the caramel was there but not as deep. It just wasn't as good, wonderful, but not as good.

But what if I was 'tasting' the label? What if I was 'tasting' the opinions of all the posts here that say that Van Winkle whiskey is the best there is? What if I was being fooled by 'marketing?'

I had to do a blind side by side. I had my daughter pour a small taste into two identical glasses, don't worry, she is a bartender, not a minor. The glasses were marked A and B. I took a sip of glass B. Absolutely, VWFRR. Glass A, yep, Hirsch. Repeat. Not quite as sure, but yes, that is what they are. Clear the palate with room temp water. B, VWFRR. Rinse. A, Hirsch. No doubt about it now so I looked at the paper she had written the answers on. A=Hirsch, B=VWFRR.

Ed

tachyonshuggy
02-07-2007, 08:13
This weekend I stocked up a bit: a 1.75 of WT101 and a 1.75 of GD12 (not a bourbon but close enough for govt work).

doubleblank
02-07-2007, 10:08
Ed......What you are detecting is the fact that there have been about 7 or 8 different bottlings of the VWFRR 13yo and only a couple of the Hirsch. To do a proper comparison, you would need to find a bottle of the VWFRR that corresponds to the time of the Hirsch bottling. As the rye whiskey aged in barrel, its flavor evolved until Julian finally tanked the remainder of it. So an "A" bottling tastes different than a "D" bottling of the VWFRR due to additional ageing in the barrel (I don't recall exactly when he tanked this rye to stop the ageing). Julian has now added another straight rye to the tank so the current VWFRR is a slightly different animal altogether.

If your bottling is a "D" or later, it would likely taste noticeably different than any Hirsch 13yo rye bottling. If its the current bottling, it might be completely different.

Randy

Edward_call_me_Ed
02-07-2007, 17:17
Ed......What you are detecting is the fact that there have been about 7 or 8 different bottlings of the VWFRR 13yo and only a couple of the Hirsch. To do a proper comparison, you would need to find a bottle of the VWFRR that corresponds to the time of the Hirsch bottling. As the rye whiskey aged in barrel, its flavor evolved until Julian finally tanked the remainder of it. So an "A" bottling tastes different than a "D" bottling of the VWFRR due to additional ageing in the barrel (I don't recall exactly when he tanked this rye to stop the ageing). Julian has now added another straight rye to the tank so the current VWFRR is a slightly different animal altogether.

If your bottling is a "D" or later, it would likely taste noticeably different than any Hirsch 13yo rye bottling. If its the current bottling, it might be completely different.

Randy

Hi Randy,

I knew that there were multiple bottlings of the VWFRR 13. Both my previous bottle and this bottle lack a letter. All they have is a letter. Here is a picture of both lables.

So, what does this mean? Are these bottles from before Julian started using letters to lable different batches or are these the current bottling or what. All I know for sure is that this is some of the best whiskey I have ever tasted.

Ed

doubleblank
02-07-2007, 18:12
Those are older bottlings Ed......probably when the rye was actually 13yo. The later ones got a number and a letter in front of it. I'd guess your VWFRR and the Hirsch were bottled within a few years of each other.

Randy

tmas
02-07-2007, 18:51
Something I haven't seen here in NYC yet, Rittenhouse Rye BIB 100 proof, which has a nice color to it. I think I'll make some Manhattans out of it.
Something I've read about here, the Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whiskey.
...And, Something I've had plenty of but can never seem to resist picking up ORVW 10yr 107 for only $26.00! Some fine drink'n lies ahead methinks! Tom V

Edward_call_me_Ed
02-08-2007, 01:16
Those are older bottlings Ed......probably when the rye was actually 13yo. The later ones got a number and a letter in front of it. I'd guess your VWFRR and the Hirsch were bottled within a few years of each other.

Randy

Thanks Randy,

That is what I thought. I think I can taste that my Hircsh and my VWFRR are both the same whiskey at different ages. I am not sure which is younger, but I sure know which one I like better! I am only a couple of pours into the VWFRR and already I am starting to morn the day it is empty. I think I will be drinking the Hirsch to save the VWFRR.

Ed

My 1,000th Post!

snakster
02-09-2007, 11:30
Last night I popped for a bottle of PVW 20. Now I need to buy another so I won't feel bad about opening and drinking one.

fitzharry
02-09-2007, 14:07
I bought two bottles of Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye today, and will probably buy two bottles of William Larue Weller 2006 tomorrow.

TBoner
02-09-2007, 16:13
Old Fitz Prime 375mL tax-stripped from 1988.
OGD114 faux-tax stripped from the ND era (1990)

Edward_call_me_Ed
02-10-2007, 03:42
Last night I popped for a bottle of PVW 20. Now I need to buy another so I won't feel bad about opening and drinking one.

Oh, that's not how I do it. I get it home and crack it as soon as it is legal to drink, I mean no driving or work, post meridian...

Round about the time the bottle hits the half way point is the time I get antsy to buy the backup.

Ed

full_proof
02-10-2007, 08:09
OGD Bonded 100, OGD114, BT (already had an unopened bottle but it was on sale :grin: ), ORVW 10-yr 90, EWSB 1996, ER 101 and two non-bourbon bottlings...Rain vodka and 1800 Anejo tequila (aged in charred oak barrels :grin: )

There were two other dusty ER101 on the shelf and I pushed them in the back to hide them and will make a surreptitious trip back to buy them when my funding (and wife) recover from this disbursement :slappin: . Also, I was surprised to find a variety of EWSB from 1990 to 1995, so I might go back and buy some more of those in differing years. I've not seen the 1997 bottling anywhere at this writing.

Gillman
02-10-2007, 11:07
Out shopping this morning, sadly I confirmed the slim pickings (relatively) for bourbon in Ontario. There is only at the moment WR, KC, WT (the 80), JB White and some Black. There was RB and RY for a while, but both are MIA and the RB is sorely missed. I believe that is it, on top of that in whiskey, there are the Jacks (all three).

I don't have any bourbon in the bunker now except some 70's-80's OTs (which are great), Jeff's Black Gold (I like it), some 60's and 70's Beam's (partly full bottle of each), an OF 100 which is one of my faves, and a little Pikesville and Rittenhouse Bonded. Also, a partly full foil Hirsch 16. Not a big selection, but good enough. I generally consume as I buy (or within the year), partly because my selection choices are limited, partly because I don't have a lot of room to store them. I also have a 20 bourbon personal vatting which is very satisfying.

I'd be happy just to be able to get some ETL and EC 12. That would round out what I need and while I've tasted greats in my time, I would be fully satisfied with those and our existing KC and WR.

In Canadian whisky the choice is larger than in recent years but with some exceptions (e.g., Barrel Select, Danfield's Private Reserve, the CC sherry cask which just reappeared) the flavor profile is fairly uniform.

So, I picked up some scotch. :) I got an 18 year old Grouse vatted malts, $70 which is pretty good for such well aged and hopefully well-vatted malts. The sticker says some are rather older than 18 years. Haven't tried it yet but the nose is promising (good sherry and wood). Also, I finally got the 15 year old French Oak Glenlivet, which is supposed to be better than the original, 12 year one.

Gary

Frodo
02-10-2007, 19:10
So, I picked up some scotch. :) I got an 18 year old Grouse vatted malts, $70 which is pretty good for such well aged and hopefully well-vatted malts. Gary

That's a really good price for this malt. Usually about $90 I think?

TBoner
02-10-2007, 19:26
Picked up an OGD BIB bottled in 1985.

Gillman
02-10-2007, 19:43
It was $70.95 at Queen's Quay today. I note from the website of LCBO it is discontinued, so maybe the price was reduced.

It has good flavours and a decided sherry finish and nose, but is a little spirity.

The Glenlivet French Oak 15 years old is also good, with the keynote perfumed note cognac has (but fainter of course), so that quality must be from the French wood, not the grapes in the brandy, unless ex-cognac casks were used, the label does not say. It also has a slightly spirity finish, maybe with time this will diminish in both drinks.

I honestly feel my own scotch blends, which are about 80% or more vatted malt (the rest grain whisky), are better. They are softer in mouth feel than either of these without a spirity finish, despite that they contain some grain whisky and these single malts do not, of course. Also, my blends are (inevitably, I guess) more complex.

Gary

Frodo
02-11-2007, 14:53
Hi Gary:

I'd recommend Johnny Walker Gold if you wanted something soft and non-spirity. Just a thought!

Gillman
02-11-2007, 14:57
Yes, it is probably a better buy at the price. I find the Grouse softens a bit with a dash of water.

Gary

Stu
02-11-2007, 18:06
Gary,

I'm a scotch drinker as well. You referred to your own blends, what are they? Are you an importer? I'm prejudiced toward the Islay malts - I'm presently enjoying an Ardbeg 10. Earlier today I had a pour of Four Roses SB to accompany a Nicaraguan cigar - they went well together. But then, almost any hand rolled cigar and good whiskey go well together.

Stu

Frodo
02-11-2007, 18:19
Gary:

I'd go for King of Scots (Rare & Extra Old) at Bayview Village @ $42.15 down from $60. Only at Bayview. Nice blend and silky, but gets poweful at the end...

ggilbertva
02-11-2007, 19:16
Whiskey/Spirits purchased in the last week is as follows:

Macallan 18 year (x3)
Balvenie 15 year
Bruichladdich 15 year
Edradour - port and marsalis 10 year
Four Roses Yellow Label
WT 101 8 Year
Blantons Silver (x2)
Blantsons Gold (x2)
Blantons SFTB (x3)
Bacardi 8 year (x2)
Bacardi Limon
Bacardi 12 year Special Reserve (only sold at the Bacardi Distillery)
Bushmills 16 year Malt

Went on a shopping frenzy while on vacation. Funny thing, my brother in law got stopped in customs and had to pay duty on 11 bottles. I had twice as many bottles as him (21) and didn't pay a thing. I teased him all the way home. :slappin:

Frodo
02-12-2007, 05:58
Out shopping this morning, sadly I confirmed the slim pickings (relatively) for bourbon in Ontario. There is only at the moment WR, KC, WT (the 80), JB White and some Black. There was RB and RY for a while, but both are MIA and the RB is sorely missed. I believe that is it, on top of that in whiskey, there are the Jacks (all three).

Gary

I think I've seen BT around as well as Rebel Yell, although not at all outlets. I've also seen the odd bottling of Blantons around if I'm not mistaken, and there should be the odd bottle of Bookers on discount...

But your point is well made. We are going through a time of restricted options up here due to (1) several bourbons being discontinued on the general list such as Bakers, ETL, ER 10 and Bookers, and (2) no new bourbons comming in through vintages (limited shipments only).

Gillman
02-12-2007, 08:02
I have not seen BT or Blanton in months, if you see them, please let me know, thanks.

Gary

straightwhiskeyruffneck
02-12-2007, 08:07
tomarrow, i'll be in casper again. and the hop and vine has quite the selection. pretty sure i'll pick up some PVW20, OGD114, and EWSB 93,95. i really liked the 94. while i'm there i'll stock up on the "house whiskey" (very rare old heaven hill 10yr 100, ancient ancient age 10 yr) maybe a couple other bottlings that strike my interest!

Frodo
02-13-2007, 09:38
I have not seen BT or Blanton in months, if you see them, please let me know, thanks.

Gary

Holy cow! Just a few weeks ago I could have sworn I saw some BT! Now the on-line inventory claims there's none around! I'll keep my eyes open for Blantons.

Frodo
02-13-2007, 09:39
Entry deleted...

Gillman
02-13-2007, 10:09
Sometimes you see the odd straggler in a store but once it's off the computerised inventory, usually there is none left. We are in a particularly lean period for bourbon in this province, I can't recall in past years (last 10 anyway) when there has been so little. I get somewhat annoyed to see three different bottling sizes of WR when I'd rather have other brands of B-F to replace two of those (or in addition of course). I find it particularly annoying when LCBO in a shelf-talker describes a product as new when just the bottle format is different. I realise there may be markets for packages as such, but still. OF 100 is a logical choice for sale here, even Early Times. I have never been enamoured of government liquor retailing. I believe the objects they achieve - responsible selling practices, taxation levy, can be achieved as easily with a private distribution network. And consumer choice would result, in my opinion, in a broader or a more rational product choice than we see on the shelves in most control states.

Gary

robert.o
02-13-2007, 11:34
george t stagg! ...yesterday afternoon my buddy picked up two of the three bottles they had at john walker & co.

TBoner
02-13-2007, 19:28
Found a couple of dusties:

Rebel Yell 90 proof...not sure the date, but it's tax-stripped. It has a UPC, so not terribly old, but I've never seen it. What a great label that was. The new(er) labeling is, to me, pretty bland.

Weller 107 from Louisville with gold veining.

:grin:

HighTower
02-14-2007, 05:35
Didn't buy them today, but they just showed up...
WT KY Spirit
WT American Honey
AAA 10 Year
Buffalo Trace
George Dickel Barrel Select

Another Package on the way, should be here in a couple of days contains :
Eagle Rare SB
Pappy 15
Lot B
WT 80
WT 101
WT Rye

My Binny's shopping list is getting shorter and shorter.....
I may have to add more to it!!:grin:

Scott

Edward_call_me_Ed
02-14-2007, 07:34
I spent my this month's whiskey budget all in one go right after payday, so I haven't been able to buy anything. Same thing is going to happen right after my next payday, too.

Sigh.

Ed

ggilbertva
02-14-2007, 14:41
Just ordered from Binny's....

Old Fitzgerald Very Special 12 Year
Weller 12 Year

In reading some reviews, these two seem to be well regarded.

darkluna
02-14-2007, 16:53
Very surprised to stumble onto a Russell's Reserve 101 today. Not unusual for some of you I know, but considering Oregon is a control state, this is as close to a dusty-bottle find as I'm likely to get. I asked the clerk where it came from and she said it was a return from a local bar. Their loss!

Jazzhead
02-14-2007, 18:02
I had a meeting with a client in Virginia, so I used the road trip as an excuse to check out the packies on the Maryland/Delaware border. I picked up some bottles I'd never seen before in New Jersey -

Pikesville Supreme Rye

Ancient Ancient Age

Wellers 12 yo

Van Winkle Private Reserve Rye

Virginia Gentleman 90

Should make for some good tipplin' :cool:

smokinjoe
02-15-2007, 14:09
Just returned from a business trip to Tennessee and South Carolina. It's a good thing I drove this one. Picked up 3 Staggs, 1 WLW, 1.75 single barrel bottling of BT, 1 ETL, 1 Eagle Rare 101 10yr, 1 Old Fitz Very Special 12yr (Bourbon Heritage Collection), and most delightful of all, 2 complete sets of Bourbon Heritage Collection 50ml minis in their display boxes. I'll know next week if the business end of the trip was as fruitful :D

Cheers,

JOE

SSBourbon1
02-15-2007, 14:52
Picked up Sam Houston (hopefully a good pick) and the newest bottling of William LaRue Weller (looking forward to comparing with its first release!)

Ubertaster
02-15-2007, 16:59
12 Rittenhouse Rye BIB
6 Saz Jr.
2 OFBB Bottled 2006
2 Elmer T. Lee
2 Ancient Ancient Age

bj

Joeluka
02-15-2007, 17:12
12 Rittenhouse Rye BIB
6 Saz Jr.
2 OFBB Bottled 2006
2 Elmer T. Lee
2 Ancient Ancient Age

bj

When's the party???? I'll bring the food:grin:

Ubertaster
02-16-2007, 06:56
When's the party???? I'll bring the food:grin:

The only planned party I have is a Super Bowl party and that is a few months away. Anyone from this forum is welcome anytime they are in central Missouri. We will pour a dram or more when you come. I am about 15 minutes from Kingdom City on Interstate 70.

bj

fogfrog
02-17-2007, 15:23
Old Charter Ten Year Old... I can't believe this stuff, fourteen bucks and so good!

melting
02-17-2007, 16:04
Ridgemont Reserve for $19.99
Old Grand Dad BIB $13.49
Cragganmore 12 yr. little pricey at $33.99
Q gin $18.99

Chris

RedVette
02-17-2007, 16:34
I pulled a bunch from the second to the bottom shelf today in my quest to find the cheapest Bourbon that I actually like. These are all new to me, Old Charter 10, Old Charter BIB, Rebel Yell, and Evan Williams Black. I restocked EC12, OGD BIB, Russel 90, 3 bottles of Beam Black on sale at $16, and a Weller SR. Then I found a new (to me) top shelfer, Pritchard Double Barrel. I have heard a few negatives about this one, but anytime my local proprietor brings in something new and interesting I try to reward him with at least one sale. Need more room for the Bourbon, something has got to give.

fitzharry
02-17-2007, 16:53
I bought two bottles of 2006 William Larue Weller at $48.99 each. There is one bottle left which, if it is still there Monday, I will probably go ahead and buy as well. From everything I've heard about this bourbon, it will be a very good investment. I am really looking forward to trying this one!

CrispyCritter
02-18-2007, 21:25
Yesterday, I picked up a new Baby Saz to replace the recently departed bottle, and also an Elmer T. Lee.

SBOmarc
02-19-2007, 00:12
EC12 for just under $17, bought 2.

Virus_Of_Life
02-19-2007, 00:34
Saz Jr. is back in stock at Hi Time... for $39.99!!! :bigeyes: :smiley_acbt: :bigeyes: I passed!

Placed an order for Vintage 17 and EWSB at Bevmo instead, pick them up tomorrow. The EWSB is the 97 vintage. Taking them to Oregon next week.

ggilbertva
02-19-2007, 07:36
Drove into MD on Sat and picked up the following ...

Saz Jr. $22 (a deal in my opinion)
WLW '06 $49 (x2)
Old Forester BB 2005 $38.50

jeff
02-19-2007, 08:55
Not a purchase per say, but this weekend I got a belated Valentines gift from Leslie: A bottle of 21yo Black Maple Hill.

My first impressions of this are very favorable. A little sweeter than my bottle of the 16yo, with a more "fragrant" nose of vanilla a caramel.

I love you honey :kiss::kiss:

scratchline
02-19-2007, 09:39
Several old bottles of Old Grand-dad BiB. Transitional liters with fluid ounces indicated as well and Carlisle strips but no distilling and bottling dates. Early '80's probably. And, interestingly, one bottle with a tamper-proof cap and a faux strip that has dates: '80/'88.

And, believe it or not, Old Potrero Hotaling's Whiskey. Not bourbon I know, but amazing that such a limited product has finally found its way to NYC.

-Mike

jburlowski
02-19-2007, 13:02
Grabbed a bottle of EWSB 1966 and also a (non-bourbon) Forty Creek.

luv2hunt
02-19-2007, 14:14
Grabbed a bottle of EWSB 1966 and also a (non-bourbon) Forty Creek.

I'm betting he means 1996! :slappin:

Dawn

Jazzhead
02-19-2007, 16:46
I picked up a liter of Dant BIB today, for $17.99. This is a few years old, it's pre-Heaven HIll, with DSP-2 as the listed distillery (Louisville - Old Charter I think), and was one of two left at an old mom and pop store. I've been working through a bottle of this lately, and decided it's quite good enough to get another. It starts out a bit grassy, sorta like Old Grand Dad. The nose is sweet and round, and the finish is long and plummy. It needs room to breathe - the first few pours of this were rough, but the second half of this bottle has been a pleasure.

So re-up, soldier!

Grain Brain
02-19-2007, 19:32
Sazerac Coctail, no gov't warning, $9
Hill and Hill 1.75, no gov't warning, $16
EWSB 93, $23
ORVW 10 yr, 2 bottles, $25 each
PVW 20, $80

TBoner
02-19-2007, 19:36
Well done, Grain Brain.

I bird-dogged a lot today, and picked up a 200mL OGD 86 w/the 8-yr age statement. Bottled in 1988, so after Beam acquired it. I wonder when they did away with the age statement?

oldironstomach
02-20-2007, 19:08
Last night, I picked up a pair of DSP-16 Old Fitz BiB 375's from a liquor store I happened to park next to.

Arriving home a half-hour later, the crappy plastic bag tumbled open and one bottle bit the dust against the icy sheet of hard-frozen snow and slush blanketing the driveway. A sweet-smelling puddle of bourbon quickly bled out and marked the site of the disaster.

Not a very auspicious start to the year of the golden pig, I'm afraid.

TNbourbon
02-20-2007, 19:18
...Arriving home a half-hour later, the crappy plastic bag tumbled open and one bottle bit the dust against the icy sheet of hard-frozen snow and slush blanketing the driveway. A sweet-smelling puddle of bourbon quickly bled out and marked the site of the disaster...

Open and drink that other one before it, too, escapes!

Ubertaster
02-20-2007, 21:12
Last night, I picked up a pair of DSP-16 Old Fitz BiB 375's from a liquor store I happened to park next to.

Arriving home a half-hour later, the crappy plastic bag tumbled open and one bottle bit the dust against the icy sheet of hard-frozen snow and slush blanketing the driveway. A sweet-smelling puddle of bourbon quickly bled out and marked the site of the disaster.

I think I would have be munching on an Old Fitz snow cone. :cool:

bj

Edward_call_me_Ed
02-20-2007, 22:01
On a long weekend trip to Okinawa I got a bottle of Wlid Turkey Heritage at the duty free. I had a bottle of this last year and liked it a lot. I think I like WT 12 better which is also cheaper than the Heritage, but I couldn't resist. For one thing, the Heritage is a single barrel so I might get lucky and hit a honey barrel. I think I will crack it open tonight.

Ed

ggilbertva
02-21-2007, 19:57

Was there any indication on the bottle that stated DSP-16? I was looking at some of my bottles and could not find anywhere on the bottle that indicated the Distillery number.

miller542
02-22-2007, 21:05
Just finalized an internet order of:
2 bottles of Rittenhouse BIB
2 bottles of Saz Jr.
ORVW 10/107

and

2 different aged rums
1L Vodka

oldironstomach
02-22-2007, 22:22
Was there any indication on the bottle that stated DSP-16? I was looking at some of my bottles and could not find anywhere on the bottle that indicated the Distillery number.
It's on the Fitz bond bottlings...the green 1980s labels declare it right under the script-font "Old Fitzgerald Distillery" lettering. However, I don't think Old Fitz Prime (gold labels) include a DSP number Greg, at least mine don't.

cowdery
02-22-2007, 23:27
I bought five whiskeys yesterday, all 750 ml bottles, ranging in price from $7.99 to $20.69., so a ratio of 2.6:1 without exceeding $21.

Ten High 7.99
Seagram's 7 Crown 9.99
Rittenhouse Rye BIB 11.99
Old Fitzgerald BIB 13.99
Elmer T. Lee SB 20.69

The Ten High, a Barton product, is Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, at least four years old, 80 proof. It has that "overripe bananas" nose and burns a little in the back of the throat. It's drinkable, but then I'm a well known fan of Very Old Barton and this is its younger brother.

It's more enjoyable than the Seagram's Seven, a blend, which has a pleasant and unmistakable flavor of vanilla, cherry and hazelnut front and center, and nothing else except, also, a little burn in the back of the throat.

The Rittenhouse BIB is something I won't be without on my active back bar. Best value in an American whiskey.

The Fitz is DSP-1 stock. More on that later. The ETL probably speaks for itself, a great value in a fine single barrel for less than $21.

Other prices noted. Jim Beam black and Maker's Mark, priced about the same at just over $20 off deal, just under $20 on deal. Knob Creek a little higher at $26.99. Woodford Reserve, Bulleit, EWSB (95), and Ridgemont 1792, all in that same neighborhood, and all several dollars more than the ETL.

Old Overholt 80 proof is about a buck higher than Rittenhouse BIB.

I heard rumors that Old Fitzgerald 1849, formerly 8 years old, is the latest Heaven Hill brand to go NAS. It's true.

A few years ago, Jim Beam on deal would have been priced almost like the Ten High. Not anymore. It's another indication of the health of the category that Beam is supporting an everyday price on the white label 750 ml of $13.99!!!

Although as between the two, at that price difference, I'll take the Ten High.

BrbnBorderline
02-23-2007, 08:59
Last nite I found and bought 3 bottles of Buffalo Trace, a rarity in these parts. 2 are for me, and one will be waiting for my dad when he gets back from vacation.

ggilbertva
02-23-2007, 13:27
It's on the Fitz bond bottlings...the green 1980s labels declare it right under the script-font "Old Fitzgerald Distillery" lettering. However, I don't think Old Fitz Prime (gold labels) include a DSP number Greg, at least mine don't.

Ok, thanks Dave. I guess I'll have to do some research on the UPC codes to figure out distillery. My real interest lies with attempting to find some dusty bottles. I'll be in SC in a couple of weeks and since SC is not a controlled state, there's a whole lot of older liquor stores in Myrtle Beach and the surrounding area that may have older stock. In between Golf and Poker, I'm going to start hunting and hopefully find some older bottles.

oldironstomach
02-23-2007, 15:32
I'll be in SC in a couple of weeks...
Man, if you're driving (instead of flying) by all means bring back some cases of Blenheim Extra Hot ginger ale! Look for the red bottlecaps. It's local to the SC, although they've begun distributing throughout the Carolinas, but they don't distribute in the DC area (of all places, Restoration Hardware used to sell the "regular" hot, but no more). Some people find it undrinkably spicy by itself, but it's the best dang mixer for making a ginger & rye ever...I thank Jake_Parrott for sharing some from his stash to make that point.

ggilbertva
02-23-2007, 18:23
Ok, I'm sold. I am driving so I'll pick up some cases. You in?

Gillman
02-23-2007, 20:40
I bought (in a small grocery/liquor store in some mean streets of a U.S. city) an I.W. Harper BIB, distilled '68 bottled '73. $15.95.

But I don't have it with me. I took it away with me, had it long enough to nose it (lovely butterscotch nose) but it didn't make it home.

The story of why, and (more to the point) what happened to it, is not complete yet, more details to follow next week.

Gary

TNbourbon
02-23-2007, 20:54
I bought (in a small grocery/liquor store in some mean streets of a U.S. city) an I.W. Harper BIB, distilled '68 bottled '73. $15.95.

But I don't have it with me. I took it away with me, had it long enough to nose it (lovely butterscotch nose) but it didn't make it home.

The story of why, and (more to the point) what happened to it, is not complete yet, more details to follow next week.

Gary

A sad story, Gary. Bourbon worthy of appreciation should be joined with those capable of appreciating it, as you are. Best we can hope for, pending further info, is that it wound up somewhere because its value was noted.

Gillman
02-23-2007, 21:04
This may well happen, Tim.

With the lost (or shall we say, errant) Harper was a circa-1990 OF 1849 and a pint NDOT, purchased in the environs of the store where the Harper was found (next to a quart of black label Dickel with a metal screw cap but I left it because it had some evaporation).

However this may all have a happy ending, not in the way I intended, but in a different way.

We will see.

Gary

HighTower
02-24-2007, 05:06
Today I got myself:

Jack Single Barrel
Gentleman Jack
Wild Turkey Rare Breed x 2
Wild Turkey honey Liquer
Woodford Reserve
Baker's
Basil Hayden's
I got these for an absolute steal, I may go back for 2 more Gentleman Jacks and 2 bottles of Booker's tomorrow. There's also a bottle of Jim Beam Bonded hiding there somewhere, however today it could not be located:smiley_acbt:

Scott

Father&Son
02-24-2007, 09:37
Elmer T. Lee

jburlowski
02-24-2007, 10:35
Went looking for some BMH... cam ehome with Wathen's.

Picker22
02-24-2007, 12:43
I bought some Buffalo Trace yesterday, and must say that I wasn't real impressed. It had, for a lack of a better term, an 'earthy' aftertaste. Not quite sure that is what I'm looking for. I still keep going back to Bulleit. Awesome bourbon for the price.

T47
02-24-2007, 14:35
A check of our WA. State Liquor site revealed some interesting bottles available here in WA. that I have never seen on our shelves. GT Stagg, William Larue Weller and Eagle Rare 17.
I feel quite fortunate in that I picked up the last two bottles of Stagg for $51 each. The William Larue Weller is a 5-hour drive across the State so I am passing on that one.
For any of you WA State folks interested, there is 1 bottle of ER 17 left in Federal Way and 2 in North Bend ($51).
I will have to get to know my local Liquor Store manager a little better. I have been told by a couple folks at the stores I most visit, that GT Stagg was not a bottle I could order through them?
I picked up a WL Weller 12 and Very Special Old Fitzgerald along with the 2 Staggs.
All nice additions for my future consumption!

:toast:

BrbnBorderline
02-24-2007, 20:24
A check of our WA. State Liquor site revealed some interesting bottles available here in WA. that I have never seen on our shelves. GT Stagg, William Larue Weller and Eagle Rare 17.
I feel quite fortunate in that I picked up the last two bottles of Stagg for $51 each. The William Larue Weller is a 5-hour drive across the State so I am passing on that one.
For any of you WA State folks interested, there is 1 bottle of ER 17 left in Federal Way and 2 in North Bend ($51).
I will have to get to know my local Liquor Store manager a little better. I have been told by a couple folks at the stores I most visit, that GT Stagg was not a bottle I could order through them?
I picked up a WL Weller 12 and Very Special Old Fitzgerald along with the 2 Staggs.
All nice additions for my future consumption!

Did you get the Stagg from the Fife store?

T47
02-24-2007, 23:23
Did you get the Stagg from the Fife store?

Yes I did. I called them yesterday and had them hold a couple bottles for me. They had more than the 2 when I called, but by the time my buddy picked up my bottles for me this morning, the others were gone as well. The Federal Way store was already out of their supply.
The manager of the Federal Way store told me to call back in 2 months and check, she expects to get more around then?
The manager of the Store in Issaquah seems to be a good guy. He ordered up a case of the VW Lot B, which sold out in just a few days, and he has ordered some VW 15 as well. I will stop in next week and chat him up about some of these bottles and see if we can't get them ordered with some more regularity. He told me he would order the VW products as long as they moved...and they sure seemed to do that.

HighTower
02-25-2007, 01:18
2 x Booker's
2 x Gentleman Jack
1 x Canadian Club Classic

Scott

tango-papa
02-25-2007, 22:59
I bought five whiskeys yesterday, all 750 ml bottles, ranging in price from $7.99 to $20.69., so a ratio of 2.6:1 without exceeding $21.

Old Fitzgerald BIB 13.99

The Fitz is DSP-1 stock. More on that later...

Chuck,

I found and purchased a bottle of this for $13.00 just the other day also - distilled at DSP-1, bottled at DSP-31.
Can you educate me (us) about this?

Also found and purchased several bottles of EWSB 1994 at $24 each.

~tp

SBOmarc
02-26-2007, 09:27
EC12 x 2 and Weller Antique.

cowdery
02-26-2007, 13:03
Chuck,

I found and purchased a bottle of this for $13.00 just the other day also - distilled at DSP-1, bottled at DSP-31.
Can you educate me (us) about this?

Also found and purchased several bottles of EWSB 1994 at $24 each.

~tp

Old Fitz BIB is a longtime favorite of mine. It was made at Stitzel-Weller (DSP 16) until that distillery closed in 1992. It has been made at Bernheim (DSP 1) ever since, first by what is now Diageo and by Heaven Hill since 1999.

The old SW Fitz BIB was like liquid caramel corn. The DSP 1 effort has, I think, gotten progressively better. One difference is a slightly bitter back-of-the-throat burn that seems to characterize all DSP 1 spirits. It's not unpleasant. For many people, that's something they look for in bourbon, but it was absent from the DSP 16 product.

The Old Fitzgerald brand began in the late 19th century. It was created by the Herbst Company of Milwaukee. Pappy Van Winkle bought it at the end of Prohibition and it became the leading brand for Stitzel-Weller and the prototypical wheated bourbon.

Virus_Of_Life
02-27-2007, 00:02
I am in Oregon, heading home tomorrow afternoon, and grabbed 2 bottles of Buffalo Trace one for my buddy's ranch bar and one for my closet. If I have time tomorrow I am going to grab an Ezra B 12 year, it is another that is not available in SoCal so for it's low price I'd like to add it to my every day pours... The selection here in Oregon isn't as bad as I thought it was when I left a few years ago.

Father&Son
02-27-2007, 06:18
Ogd 114.

ggilbertva
02-27-2007, 09:13
Went looking for some BMH... cam ehome with Wathen's.

I really like the Wathens SB. Hard to find here in VA. I've only found it in 1 ABC store.

Father&Son
02-27-2007, 12:05
2 x Booker's. We really like everything about this whiskey.

Others in our top 5 would include:
Elmer T. Lee
Knob Creek
Bulleit
ERSB 10 y/o

If we could throw in Tennessee and Irish whisky we'd add George Dickel #12 and Powers Gold Label.

J.W.
02-27-2007, 12:11
Old Forester 100 and Basil Hayden's. Can't go without my Old Forester 100
B H, now that the weather is warming up.

J.W.

jburlowski
03-03-2007, 11:28
BMH 16 and EWSB 1997.

Father&Son
03-03-2007, 12:11
Ezra Brooks 90 proof.

Jazzhead
03-03-2007, 13:25
Here in South Jersey, it's not only a sunny day, it's also a dusty day! I just found a gold-viened bottle of Weller 107, with a faux tax stamp, distilled in Louisville. And four pint bottles (for six bucks each!) of Old Taylor BIB, with tax stamps. Of all the dusties I've ever run across, the OT BIB is my favorite. Huge, plummy flavor, just heaven in a bottle.

Here's question for the archeologists out there. I had been reaching the bottom of my original dusty OT BIB. Distilled at DSP -19, bottled at DSP -14. No tax stamp or government warning, and with a UPC code on the label. These four pint bottles are clearly older, bearing tax stamps but no UPC code, and they bear the same distillery information - distilled at DSP -19, bottled at DSP - 14. But the newer bottle says Old Taylor Distillery, Frankfort, while the older bottles say Old Taylor Distiller, Frankfort and Louisville. Did Old Taylor at one point have a second distillery?

Father&Son
03-03-2007, 17:11
AAA 10 y/o
EW 1783 10 y/o
Highland Park 12 y/o (I know; not bourbon, but highly recommended by SB readers and on sale at VA ABC. $33.90.)

cowdery
03-03-2007, 17:33
Here's question for the archeologists out there. I had been reaching the bottom of my original dusty OT BIB. Distilled at DSP -19, bottled at DSP -14. No tax stamp or government warning, and with a UPC code on the label. These four pint bottles are clearly older, bearing tax stamps but no UPC code, and they bear the same distillery information - distilled at DSP -19, bottled at DSP - 14. But the newer bottle says Old Taylor Distillery, Frankfort, while the older bottles say Old Taylor Distiller, Frankfort and Louisville. Did Old Taylor at one point have a second distillery?

No Old Taylor was distilled at DSP-19 after 1972, and whiskey from 78, when that whiskey would have been sold, would have a real tax stamp on it. But I think when whiskey for Old Taylor was made at Old Crow, they were still able to call it DSP-19 because they were adjacent and, essentially, their DSPs were interchangeable. National had closed the bottling house at Old Crow by then, but they had bottling facilities in both Frankfort and Louisville. There had been a still at the Louisville site before Prohibition, but after repeal it was only used for warehousing and bottling.

The Louisville site was closed before the Frankfort facility, so it makes sense that the newer bottles would omit Louisville.

Jazzhead
03-03-2007, 17:55
Thanks for the information, Chuck. Here's a bit more I know. The four pint bottles say on the tax stamps that they were distilled in 1968 and bottled in 1976. So that's clearly from the original Old Taylor distillery. The newer bottle has "85" on the bottom, so assuming that's the bottling date and that the newer stuff is of a similar age, it would appear to have been distilled around '77 or '78. But that one's from the Old Crow distillery.

Funny thing is, I tried them both today and they taste and nose more or less the same. It surprises me that it's not the same whiskey, but I guess it just means that if the mashbill's the same, perhaps the physical place of distillation isn't as important.

So if DSP -19 (the place of distillation) is interchangably either Old Taylor or Old Crow, both of Frankfort, what is DSP -14 (the place of bottling)? Is that Louisville, but then why isn't Louisville listed on the label of the newer bottle but DSP-14 is?

CrispyCritter
03-04-2007, 22:05
I picked up a Jim Beam Black bottle, in the gift box with a flask. It's an open question as to whether said flask will ever be filled, but it could come in handy on occasion.

cowdery
03-04-2007, 22:16
DSP-14 is the Forks of Elkhorn Creek distillery that National called Old Grand-Dad and that Beam still uses for warehousing and bottling. It's in a completely different part of Frankfort.

It's my understanding that even when Taylor was operating the two distilleries (Taylor and Crow) were operated as if they were one. I'm not exactly sure how that would work, legally, or if what I was told is even true, but that's what I was told by the last master distiller at Crow.

SBOmarc
03-05-2007, 07:16
VW Lot B and 2 bottles of Weller 107.

ggilbertva
03-05-2007, 19:36
Negotiated a trade with a fellow SB'er and received these little gems in the mail today. Now I have to figure out when to open them.....

(Thanks Joe).

CrispyCritter
03-06-2007, 19:52
A backup bottle of ER101 (New Orleans version), and a bottle of Dickel #12.

tango-papa
03-07-2007, 06:07
Just back from a long weekend trip to Colorado and picked up one bottle of Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey, Batch #7.

Last week also found:
Two Eagle Rare 101's (New Orleans) with the "101" mid-neck label.
One Very Special Old Fitzgerald (L'ville).
Two Weller gold-veined BHC's still in the black velvet :cool: bag.

~tp

TBoner
03-07-2007, 19:52
Picked up a liter of ER101, New Orleans bottling.

Also a liter of Yellowstone 86-proof, tax-stripped, bottle date of 1984.

jburlowski
03-08-2007, 11:15
A friend dropped by and gave me a bottle of FR Single Barrel and a BMH 16. She said it was owed to me for a favor I did some time ago. Darned if I can remember, but I din't want to hurt her feelings and not accept....

fog
03-08-2007, 18:13
I purchased a bottle of Woodford Reserve batch 211.

This is my first sample of Woodford Reserve, and I liked it less than I expected, even after reading so many negative reviews here.

Grain Brain
03-08-2007, 23:56
Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon, 89/02. If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is the first bottling of this one.

smokinjoe
03-09-2007, 08:05
While traveling in the Nashville area this week, picked up 2 Ezra B 15's, ER 10yr 101, and a Saz Jr. The Ezra B has turned into one of my favorites. Chock full 'o butterscotch. Pure candy.

JOE

TNbourbon
03-09-2007, 14:57
While traveling in the Nashville area this week, picked up...

I've tried, Joe, but I just can't find it all!..:cool:

smokinjoe
03-09-2007, 15:51
I've tried, Joe, but I just can't find it all!..:cool:

Tim, you've found it all, but thankfully you leave some of the droppings for the rest of us!:D

JOE

Gillman
03-09-2007, 20:18
Am travelling in Florida and picked EWSB 1997 (from Jim Beam's still that is), Old Whiskey River (only had this once years back and liked the sweetness), Bulleit (looking a little paler in the bottle than I remember, there must be slight variations), and Vintage Hallmark St. James Vatted Malt, 25 years old, only $39.00. The latter is "signed" by Wallace Milroy, the gentleman who used to own famed Soho, London whisky shop Milroy's. A good example of a complex, sherry-oriented dram and what the Scots can do at the upper end of the aging register. Also, it illustrates the great values U.S. liqour stores can offer, in Canada we only start at this price for single malts and they come fairly young and uncomplex. The Vatted Malt 25 has a big plummy sherried taste with good smoke and caramel. I got this in one of the chains, can't recall the name now (I think it had a 6 in it, or 67).

Looking forward to the EWSB to see if the Beam still does anything different to the series.

Choice here seems quite limited. I dropped into a few "liquor store cash cheque" places of which a number do not allow access behind a wooden gate, you have to order by brand from the small booth in front. In one such place, I was told they had "Beam, Jack and well bourbon but you won't want that". I could see there more brands than that including an old-looking Dickel but it was too difficult to explain what I was after. There might be better luck in small towns outside the big urban areas, but I won't have time.

In one sense though I liked what I saw, in that Florida retains the older bourbon tradition Chuck mentioned of an active lower shelf line, I saw lots of Ten High, AA, regular HH, Forester 86, Tom Sims, etc. This is still a market for "bourbon" as opposed to small batch, single barrel and the like.

Gary

Barrel_Proof
03-10-2007, 08:22
This past Sunday after the ETLee distribution party, I introduced TNbourbon to Party Mart in Louisville after a leisurely drive through Oldham County. At our second stop, at LB, I picked up an Old Charter 10yo 86 to trade with another forum member. As many of you know, OC holds a special place in my memory, as it was a standby pour at the Gun Club in Beloit, Wisconsin during my college days. Today, the family and I will take a drive to Cherry Hill, NJ to meet Jazzhead and complete the trade.

luv2hunt
03-10-2007, 09:09
Taking out the Cruiser Cliff?! But Anna wants to go to KY!

Dawn

Barrel_Proof
03-10-2007, 09:14
Cruiser packed. We are off!

Gillman
03-10-2007, 15:17
These are not purchases but bottles left with relatives here two years ago and sampled on this trip.

One was a 12 year old Ezra Brooks 101 proof bought in the Islands. I found it rough at the time and blended it with some Weller 12.

Two years later I am sampling the result and it is really good. The Weller has tamed the EB but allowed some of of its chestnut-like richness to come through. A simple but good 4 grain vatting.

The other bottle was a 1980 Seagram 7 half-gallon that I opened two years ago, took a small taste of, sealed up and tried again on this trip. It is very good, mild, sweetish but with a steely rye undertone. Neither whisky suffered from being held in a cupboard in a (mostly) warm room for two years.

Gary

Gillman
03-10-2007, 15:23
The paler-colored Bulleit bought in Fort Lauderdale is tasting great! It has less of the intense peppermint than some bottles have but is a good example of smooth, quality medium-aged whiskey. This would make a great Mint Julep (I find dark tannic bourbons don't) but also is very drinkable on its own. I really like bourbons that combine distillery (grain, yeast) flavors with the best the barrel can give it.

I also passed by Abbey on 16th street just west of Alton in South Beach. This small, wood-panelled beer bar specialises in strong craft beers made in Melbourne, Florida and they do a great job. 10% abv beers seem at odds with the climate and pale lager culture here, but the beers go nicely in the evening when it cools down.

Gary

Gillman
03-10-2007, 15:38
And tasting now the Old Whiskey River bought on this trip. Now, I like it. It has a noticeable oily consistency and taste against some decent barrel effects. It is for those who like the taste of young bourbon where the grain values are not covered over by prolonged aging. A good whiskey and probably similar to some bourbon that was popular 100 years ago (when much straight whiskey was sold at 2-4 years of age). This too would make a fine bourbon cocktail. The HH markers (for young HH whiskey) are all over it, IMO.

Gary

Grain Brain
03-10-2007, 16:36
I dug Old Whiskey River well enough. I haven't had it since it debuted, but I recall being pleased by it.

Today I got some National Distillers Old Crow bottle date of 89, ND OGD 114, ND OGD BiB, Heaven Hill Old Style Bourbon bottle date of 89, and a Louisville Weller Antique 107 from 94.

HighTower
03-10-2007, 18:23
Got 3 bottles of Fighting Cock 6yo 103 proof yesterday. Supplier is deleting FC, so it could be a while before we see it on our shores again.
Did a bit of homework and found one store on the Gold Coast who seemed to have the last of it; Cam and I cleaned them out! Can't wait to try it!

Scott

full_proof
03-11-2007, 09:45
WL Weller Antique
ORVW 10
ORVW 15
PVW Rye
WTKS
ER 101 (only one bottle left at the store :frown: )
EW 1783

The PVW Rye was next to Old Overholt, and I contemplated for awhile which to buy (I think the clerk thought I was going to purloin a bottle because I was intently studying the shelf). Opted for the VW since it has been harder to find in the bailiwick I frequent.

I'm looking forward to trying these, ER101 is the only one I've sampled in the past.

One store had a bottle of Louis XIII Cognac safely behind the counter. At $1,400.00 I dont think the purchaser will be chasing it with Natural Light brew. :lol:

Special Reserve
03-13-2007, 16:53
Since the bourbon slush fund received a little boost lately...

ER101 and Weller Centennial (Louisville) in a BHC box. Both for the bunker. Lucky me.

TomH
03-13-2007, 17:24
While viisting Chicago over the weekend, I had to stop at Sam's to pick up some wine I ordered. Really didn't plan on buying anything but had to walk thru the bourbon aisle anyway. Didn't buy any bourbon, but I couldn't get away from the bottle of Rittenhouse 21 that kept calling my name. And as I passed the end of the scotch aisle (didn't even have to walk down it) I saw that there was a new Compass Box offering - Oak Cross. After a quick sample it also found its way home. with me. No bourbon but a couple of bottles of great drinking.

Tom

ggilbertva
03-14-2007, 20:27
While in S.C. playing golf, I hit the local liquor store and found a couple of items typically not found in VA. Photo attached.

W.L. Weller Special Reserve
Weller 107
Pappy 15
Pappy 20
George Dickel Barrel Select

Ambernecter
03-15-2007, 14:36
That is a lovely lil shop you had there Greg and a great lineup photo. Thanks.

I got 2 WT 101, Lot B and a VW 10YO 107. The WT is still at a price that's right - £18 which is good for England.

I have cracked the WT and am enjoying my main "go to" Bourbon hugely!

gothbat
03-15-2007, 16:18
Got myself a bottle of '05 WLW today. Can't wait to try this one out, after passing on it several times for various reasons I was quite surprised to find one at a decent price so late in the game.

SBOmarc
03-15-2007, 23:08
Got myself a bottle of '05 WLW today. Can't wait to try this one out, after passing on it several times for various reasons I was quite surprised to find one at a decent price so late in the game.

Very Nice Find! I should be so lucky.

domajoju56
03-16-2007, 09:02
Also a first time poster here, excuse my writing im on a Woodford roller coaster ride after last night, I notice your excitment when coming across certain bottles of bourbon, are some of the bourbons no longer being made?,,,should I keep my eyes peeled when hitting new liq-stores, looking for a rare find, you know that buried behind whatever bottle, what are some of the brands I should be looking for? Last night I stopped at a new liq-store that just opened up about 3 miles from my home, I should say warehouse WOW!!! this place was huge, they had a nice bourbon section, anyway I was searching for a not so expensive bourbon, something to mix with coke or ginger ale I came across, Fighting Cock,,,Rebel Yell & Old Crow these bourbons were priced between $13 and $18 dollars per bottle, I was wondering are any of these bourbons worth buying?

HAVE A GREAT DAY.
Mark

ggilbertva
03-16-2007, 12:52
Welcome Mark. It would be helpful if you included your location in your profile (especially when you mention a new warehouse Liquor Store)

There are so many fine bourbon's and whiskeys out there that it really comes down to $$ and taste preference. I would suggest you spend some time searching through this forum to get an idea of what's popular and what's considered the real good find. For instance, the BTAC is a somewhat hard to find series of bourbon/whiskey. The Saz18 is especially difficult (impossible) to find where I live so to me, that would be considered a real prize. Other SB'ers find ORVW15 (discontinued) or a rare WT Split Label 12 year....those are real gems. So, pour yourself a nice dram of bourbon, sit back and do some reading....you'll have a whole education on bourbon when your done.

Cheers and welcome again

Greg

ILLfarmboy
03-17-2007, 05:06
Last night while up in Davenport IA. I finally picked up a bottle of Templeton rye. The back label states batch:1 barrel:51 bottle:46 bottled in Templeton on: 1-22-2007. I was planing on opening this later today but as I sit here typing this morning my sinuses are starting to give me fits. Hopefully by this evening I'll be better. This being St. Patrick's Day we have some festivities planed.

arsbadmojo
03-17-2007, 17:17
Picked up 2. Actually 3 bottles - but one of them was tequila.

The 2 others were Sazerac Straight Rye. I did a quick search here and saw it was being called Sazerac Jr. (As opposed to the 18 year old) No age statement, but I think from reading the thread that it is either 6 or 7 years old. I like it a lot.

The other was Wild Turkey Rare Breed. I'm a bit confused by the WT premium lines; you've got regular WT80, WT101, Rare Breed, Russel's Reserve - I think I'm missing a few more. Anyway; I'd had the Russell's Reserve before, and it was OK - but I like this one much better.

CrispyCritter
03-17-2007, 18:03
I picked up a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB (one to always have around), and a Michter's US1 Rye.

full_proof
03-17-2007, 23:11
JB Rye & EC12. The prices made them too good to pass up. I've never tasted the JB rye.

TBoner
03-18-2007, 15:03
I just returned from a trip to Chicago. Picked up some items not available here in TX, including Rittenhouse BIB, Binny's single-barrel Buffalo Trace, Rowan's Creek, and a couple of others (not all for me; some will be distributed to friends).
Also got a bottle of SMS (Bowmore 16-yr bourbon cask cask-strength) and some beers.
I wish I'd brought bigger suitcases...

I never knew how the rest of you lived...the selection, the prices, the sheer volume available.

A fun trip.

Grain Brain
03-20-2007, 22:26
Nice haul there TB. I'm jealous as hell you got to visit the land of plenty, but am also very grateful you made room in your luggage for extra souvenirs. :grin:

By the way, I did it.

I picked up that Lawrenceburg PVW 23 yr old today I was telling you about. Even got an industry courtesy discount, so it was "only" $174.

Now I'm back on a strict ramen diet for a while. :lol:

Route 66
03-21-2007, 02:39
I bought 2 bottles of Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year/107 today. So far my favorite bourbon. I've seen it mentioned here that the 90 and 107 proof of these ORVW are getting hard to find. The Binny's near me hasn't had either on their shelves for 8+ months. So today I saw the (only) two bottles on the shelf of another place I go to and the rest is history. It will be interesting if there's anymore that goes back on the shelf.

luv2hunt
03-21-2007, 15:08
:grin:

By the way, I did it.

I picked up that Lawrenceburg PVW 23 yr old today I was telling you about. Even got an industry courtesy discount, so it was "only" $174.

Now I'm back on a strict ramen diet for a while. :lol:

Good Lord!!! I'll buy it from ya so that you can eat steak instead of ramen!!!! :slappin::slappin:

Dawn

TNbourbon
03-21-2007, 15:14
...I picked up that Lawrenceburg PVW 23 yr old today I was telling you about. Even got an industry courtesy discount, so it was "only" $174...

That's a heckuva price for it. I'd buy any one I could find at it -- if I could find another one from Lawrenceburg.

TBoner
03-21-2007, 17:34
Agreed that that is a great price, Grain Brain.

I found an Ezra B 15-yr today, bottling date of 5-00. Actually, I found it a month ago, but today I finally had some cash and time to get back for it.

I understand that while the 12 is only so-so, this stuff is pretty terrific. Lookin forward to it.

Grain Brain
03-21-2007, 18:09
Good Lord!!! I'll buy it from ya so that you can eat steak instead of ramen!!!! :slappin::slappin:

Dawn

Oh, I do love steak Dawn, and thanks for the offer but I think I can live on great whiskey and sub-par noodles for a little while. ;)

That's a heckuva price for it. I'd buy any one I could find at it -- if I could find another one from Lawrenceburg.

Well, when I saw it at the store I didn't realize the difference in the varieties at the time. So when I got home and researched it here, finding out that there was a rye recipe 23 yr old, and salivating over that fact, I called the store back and sure enough it was a Lawrenceburg bottle. Being the rye fiend that I am, I pretty much committed to the purchase at that point. I understand that it may be a good price for this bottle, but it's still a high price for any bottle, if you know what I mean. Still, this being the rye version, and me being the afformentioned rye fiend that I am, all that logic went right out the window. :lol:

When I went back, the bottle didn't look green at all, but I grabbed it anyway. At home side by side with my Frankfort bottle, the Lawrenceburg bottle was ever so slightly, and relatively, green - and I mean I had to hold them both up to a strong bulb. I actually still had my doubts.

So the question I had in my mind last night, and that I couldn't find an answer to using the search function, was were there any Lawrenceburg bottles that were clear and were not rye recipes? Because really, my 'green' bottle is just barrrrrely green at all. Is that the distinction of whether it's the rye recipe (green v. clear bottle), or is it just the fact that it's from Lawrenceburg that makes it a rye recipe bottle?

Although I understand it's probably been covered here over and over and over, my search skillz must not be that mad, and as such, any input is most graciously appreciated.

Russellc
03-22-2007, 07:45
Walked into an area store I hadnt been in for awhile, aquired a pappy van winkle 20 year, an eagle rare 17 year and an eagle rare 10 year single barrel all in one swoop.

russellc

ipourbourbon
03-22-2007, 11:53
Evan Williams Single Barrel 1994!

OscarV
03-23-2007, 17:15
This is different for me, I actually made a retail purchase in Michigan.
One of the guys I work with who delivers in Ann Arbor told me about this place that has a huge selection.

Stadium Market
1423 E Stadium Blvd.
Ann Arbor, MI.

For you old timers that know the area, it used to be The Food and Drug Mart, the Sullivans' place.

Ok here is what I got.
George T. Stagg 2006 release, in the past I have paid $130.00 for a bottle of Stagg from various on-line sites. This was only $54.00, they had one, but not no more.

Van Winkle Special Reserve 12yo Lot "B". They only had one. This is my second bottle, it to was $54.00, my first one was around a hundred.

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. $43.00. I have been looking for another bottle of this for the last couple of months, but all my shops stopped carrying it. So I found a new source.

Wild Turkey American Honey, $20.00, it was there and I am a Turkey fan. Also my wife likes it,..... "See what I bought you today dear!!"

Special Reserve
03-23-2007, 18:22
OscarV

Is that a new store on the corner of Stadium and Packard? They have a decent selection and mostly charge the state price. The Wine Castle on W. Stadium between Liberty and Jackson has a great bourbon selection but they usually charge 10% over the state price. What I've done in the past is familiarize myself with the state prices available on the net and then ask the store for the state price. They will look it up in their book and they will usually offer you the state price and act like they're surprised it was not the state minimum price.

Will

OscarV
03-23-2007, 18:34
OscarV

Is that a new store on the corner of Stadium and Packard? l

Yep, that's the place.
The owner said they are trying to get a tasting event there this September with Wild Turkey and Jimmy Russell.
They need to have enough interest to get it to happen. I signed their sheet with my e-mail address. If anyone is in the area stop by and tell them that we want Jimmy.

Special Reserve
03-23-2007, 19:51
I'll be in town on Tuesday. I'm going to my dentist, always reward my self with a visit to Arbor Brewing afterwards. This time I will also make a trip to Stadium and Packard.

OscarV
03-24-2007, 19:35
I went back to Stadium Market today and got the bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 15yo 107 proof.
When I left there yesterday I knew I should not have left it behind.

Also I printed out the info on the Buffalo Trace Experimental Chardonnay bottles for them to try to get.
Fingers are firmly crossed.

And while in Ann Arbor we dined at The Earle which features cuisine from the country landscape of France and Italy.

Special Reserve
03-24-2007, 19:49
The Earle is great. How is their bourbon selection? I've only had wine when I've been there.

OscarV
03-24-2007, 19:51
Didn't check it out, when we are in AA we go for the Pinots!

full_proof
03-25-2007, 07:39
The last dusty bottle of ORVW 15 (107), and OGD114 on the shelf in a store that appears to be closing (they wouldn't say); a "Spring" ('90 distilled) 2003 OF Birthday and a VWFRR. I spotted some other OF Birthdays ('02?) in another store and might go back and pick one up.

jburlowski
03-25-2007, 13:43
Stopped for some wine, went home with a bottle of WTRB and the local liquor store's single-barrel ERSB 10.

scopenut
03-26-2007, 15:45
2 weekends ago I was in St. Pete Beach in SW FL. Oddly, there's a small unassuming liquor store there that's crammed to the rafters with a fine selection of most spirits. In the past, I've grabbed a Lot B and Weller Centennial from them. This past visit, I walk in and I see 4 Lot B's, and 6 Stagg 2006. Stagg is practically unobtainable on the FL SE coast, and the Lot B was $10 cheaper, so I grabbed 3 Lot B's and 3 of the Staggs. While paying for them (ouch!), the cashier mentioned that they were part of an order placed by regulars, but that the store puts them on the shelf when they come in, and it's first come, first served.

Timing is everything.....

-Kevin

smokinjoe
03-26-2007, 16:46
2 weekends ago I was in St. Pete Beach in SW FL. Oddly, there's a small unassuming liquor store there that's crammed to the rafters with a fine selection of most spirits. In the past, I've grabbed a Lot B and Weller Centennial from them. This past visit, I walk in and I see 4 Lot B's, and 6 Stagg 2006. Stagg is practically unobtainable on the FL SE coast, and the Lot B was $10 cheaper, so I grabbed 3 Lot B's and 3 of the Staggs. While paying for them (ouch!), the cashier mentioned that they were part of an order placed by regulars, but that the store puts them on the shelf when they come in, and it's first come, first served.

Timing is everything.....

-Kevin

Nice finds, indeed. And, believe me when I say I'm glad that you got them. But, that retailer sucks. If I placed an order for something, and they put them on the shelf before I had a chance to pick them up in a reasonable time, I'd be super pissed, and a regular no more. But, like I said, I'm glad for you, and I'll drink to a fellow SB.Comer's good fortune. You're on a hot streak. Probably time to do some more hunting!;)

JOE

Grain Brain
03-26-2007, 19:14
Came across a BTAC 2000 ER 17 yo the other day, and promptly snagged it.

TBoner
03-26-2007, 19:27
Good on ya, Grain Brain.

Besides my Tennesse whiskey purchase posted in Collectibles, I snagged a 200mL of Evan Williams black 7yr/90proof. It's good. Also grabbed a RHF from the late 90s I've had my eye on for awhile. The gold plastic horse is missing. The horse must've been worth $15+. I got it for $28 out the door.

tango-papa
03-26-2007, 22:00
I was pleasantly surprised today when I found two bottles of Old Fitzgerald with DSP KY 16 on the label.
The best part was they were only $12.99 each! A lucky find for sure!

scopenut
03-27-2007, 09:22
Nice finds, indeed. And, believe me when I say I'm glad that you got them. But, that retailer sucks. If I placed an order for something, and they put them on the shelf before I had a chance to pick them up in a reasonable time, I'd be super pissed, and a regular no more. But, like I said, I'm glad for you, and I'll drink to a fellow SB.Comer's good fortune. You're on a hot streak. Probably time to do some more hunting!;)

JOE

Joe,

I totally agree with you. I had no idea these were special orders until the cashier rang them up, as they were readily available on the shelf.

-Kevin

Grain Brain
03-27-2007, 17:48
Good on ya, Grain Brain.

Besides my Tennesse whiskey purchase posted in Collectibles, I snagged a 200mL of Evan Williams black 7yr/90proof. It's good. Also grabbed a RHF from the late 90s I've had my eye on for awhile. The gold plastic horse is missing. The horse must've been worth $15+. I got it for $28 out the door.
Goodbye Mr. Ed, hello whiskey! Nice score. That EW sounds good too. Speaking of 7yr/90 proofers, I'm sippin' on some Yellowstone 7yr/91 proof, and it's terrific.

I gave all these below a home today, and with the exception of the Beams, they're all tax stripped...

2 Yellowstone 7yr/91p pints
3 Yellowstone 7yr/91p 200 mL
4 Yellowstone 4yr/86p 200 mL
6 Jim Beam 101 month/90p 200mL
1 OF BiB, DSP KY 16 200mL
5 HW Ten High 200mL
1 Sunny Brook ND 200mL
1 Sunny Brook ND pint
1 Heaven Hill 80p pint
1 Antique (?) 6yr/80p pint

All for $90 out the door. And of course I'll split 'em with ya.

Oh, and on my way out the clerk found another little stash, so add one WL Weller Special Reserve 90p Texas Sesquicentennial Alamo commemorative decanter in pristine condition. It feels full and the strip looks like it's never been touched, as does the bottle and box. Hopefully, evaporation is at a minimum (can't tell by sight as this is a ceramic decanter). Price? $16. Yee-hah!

I was pleasantly surprised today when I found two bottles of Old Fitzgerald with DSP KY 16 on the label.
The best part was they were only $12.99 each! A lucky find for sure!
That's always fun. Found a few of those around here the past few months, but they've generally been slightly higher. Good job!

Martian
03-27-2007, 17:54
Wild Turkey Rye and Woodford Reserve Distillers Select.

TNbourbon
03-27-2007, 18:14
...2 Yellowstone 7yr/91p pints
3 Yellowstone 7yr/91p 200 mL...

These aren't Yellowston's Mellow Mash, are they? (I've never seen the standard Yellowstone at 91 proof.)

Grain Brain
03-27-2007, 18:23
Well, both the 7 yr and 4 yr say mellow mash on them. I'll try to find some pics for ya (sorry, no camera here :( ).

EDIT; Well, nothing came up through Google on a cursory search. I'll get descriptions of the bottles for you a little later, but for now, it's Dallas Stars hockey! Go Stars!

Grain Brain
03-27-2007, 22:32
Wow, the Stars WHOOPED on the Coyotes, 6-0. Sorry, oh Great One.

Anyhoo, the 7 yr/91 proof has a black label with dark gold borders and lettering, whereas the 4 yr/86 proof has a white label with red lettering for the namesake and black for the other pertinent info.

And I actually do have a crappy old pc camera I can probably crank up without too much trouble... lemme play around a sec...

Grain Brain
03-27-2007, 23:15
Okay, finally, here we go... what we have here are...

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mutleyhyde/Whiskey/Yellowstone200mL86p77.JPG http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mutleyhyde/Whiskey/Yellowstone200mL86p78.JPG http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mutleyhyde/Whiskey/Yellowstone200mL91p79.JPG

The first 86 proof bottle, with a 77 date, states it is 4 yrs old, and the second 86 proof bottle, with I think a 78 date (it's a bit smudged) has no age statement.

The 7 yr old bottle is also obscured but looks to be from 79.

Dangit... workin' on getting these pics has got me real thirsty, and here I have to get up for work in 5 or so hours.

Straightbourbon.com... bounty or burden??? :p

cowdery
03-28-2007, 14:43
"Yellowstone Gardens"? I've never seen that before. Somehow, I never think "garden" along that stretch of Seventh Street Road.

TNbourbon
03-28-2007, 15:04
Here's the only Mellow Mash I've seen:

The similarities are obvious, so would suspect that the small one is a precursor -- same age, proof, and numbered.
Learn something new everyday here at SB.com.

Grain Brain
03-28-2007, 22:03
Interesting. I've never seen that label before... but that's not surprising as the ones I bought the yesterday were the first Yellowstones I've seen at all. And yes, they're uniquely numbered.

After tasting it last night, I can say I would not mind finding another stash of this in the future. Good stuff.

luv2hunt
03-28-2007, 22:09
I'm going through withdrawl! :bigeyes: Haven't been in a liquor store in over a month! The bunker is full....no need to shop! :grin:

Grain Brain
03-28-2007, 22:19
....no need to shop! :grin:

Perhaps not, but I do sense a want to shop. ;)

luv2hunt
03-28-2007, 22:24
Perhaps not, but I do sense a want to shop. ;)

:slappin:Yup...why do you think my name is luv2hunt? I don't hunt wild game....just bourbon!!

Dawn

Grain Brain
03-28-2007, 22:34
Yeah, I know what you mean. The only game I've ever hunted was Wild Turkey.

And I get the strangest stares when I walk into a liquor store blowing my turkey caller. :skep:

tango-papa
03-30-2007, 22:05
Happened to end up passing thru a very old (and somewhat :crazy: scary) part of South Houston today for work and couldn't resist stopping at two dusty old stores that caught my eye...

First stop - scored a pristine condition Wild Turkey Tribute in the wooden box for only $79.99 plus tax! :woohoo:

Second stop - picked up three 750ml Old Fitzgerald's. One with silver label and fake tax strip, one with silver label and TE cap and one with gold label and TE cap.

Anyone know the provenance of these Old Fitzgeralds?

~tp

cowdery
03-31-2007, 02:46
That's an excellent day's work.

That's exactly the kind of place where you'll find a bottle of something like Tribute on the shelf, though why that store had it in the first place is probably a mystery

The Fitz would be early 1980s and, therefore, unquestionably Stitzel-Weller.

ggilbertva
03-31-2007, 09:13
I'm going through withdrawl! :bigeyes: Haven't been in a liquor store in over a month! The bunker is full....no need to shop! :grin:

Man do I feel your pain. While my bunker is small, I have enought to last years and not buy any more. Besides the 2 PVW15 and 20 that I purchased last month, that will be about it until the '07 BTAC comes out (dunno if I can wait that long....)

TNbourbon
03-31-2007, 11:53
Buffalo Trace Experimentals obtained today. One bottle each. The extra 4 years in new oak before finishing gives the older one a more potent nose and palate entry, and overall richer flavor, but otherwise there's not a lot to tell them apart.
After work tonight, I'll attempt a more ambitious tasting report.

TBoner
03-31-2007, 12:41
Wow. Went back w/Grain Brain to two stores we've been to together once and that he has mined independently once. Found still more:

4 more Weller SR Texas Sesquicentennial Decanters in their boxes (1986 was the year of that anniversary)
2 OGD 114 ND w/ the old label
An OC10 yr crystal decanter w/tax strip - late 70s or so...
An Evan Williams jug-style decanter - 90 proof whiskey inside. Note: this is from 1980, not the similarly-styled version released a couple of years back
More ND Hill and Hill w/tax strips
Old Taylor 86-proof ND
Seagram's Benchmark w/tax strips

We split the take, and I think my Texas-born and raised father-in-law may enjoy one of those Sesquicentennial decanters...

T47
04-02-2007, 19:10
I picked up a bottle of ER 17 today. It's another one of those we don't see here in WA too often. $51 gone in a flash...

tango-papa
04-02-2007, 21:40
That's an excellent day's work.

That's exactly the kind of place where you'll find a bottle of something like Tribute on the shelf, though why that store had it in the first place is probably a mystery

The Fitz would be early 1980s and, therefore, unquestionably Stitzel-Weller.

I thought it strange this store had the Tribute as well. When I asked the clerk if they had any more, she said they had three, but one person had purchased two of them about a month ago.

Based on my reading here, I felt confident the Fitz's were S-W. Thanks for the info! :thankyousign:
Would it be a safe bet that all Old Fitz's with silver and/or gold labels with TE caps are S-W? I found a small, very, very dusty stash of 1.75, silver labeled, TE capped Old Fitzgerald's a few weeks ago that I'll go back for if it's most likely S-W. The UPC began with 88076 as well.

Please advise - and if they're S-W, I'll pick up all five of them and send you one...

~tp

cowdery
04-02-2007, 21:51
Well, the current bottles have TE caps. You mean the TE foil neck label and, yes, the TE foil neck label on Prime (gold) or BIB (green) pretty much has to be S-W.

There are two good reasons to hunt SW whiskey. One, it's really good and, two, there's still a lot of it out there, in terms of traditional dusties. Figure that any Old Fitzgerald expression bottled before 1997 is almost certainly SW. People here routinely find bottles that are 30 years old and more. There are bottles of Prime and BIB out there that are barely ten years old.

TNbourbon
04-02-2007, 22:12
...likely S-W. The UPC began with 88076...

88076 belonged to United Distillers. I think it is safe to assume (and I do!) that any Old Fitzgerald or Weller bottle date-stamped '97' or earlier on the bottom and carrying UDV's UPC is Stitzel-Weller.

scratchline
04-02-2007, 22:31
Was in New Jersey on business today and noticed a promising looking liquor store not far from the train station. On my dinner break I wandered in and found a 1.75 bottle of I W Harper Bonded. Distilled Spring '76, bottled Fall '82. You just never know what's going to turn up.

-Mike

Bob O.
04-04-2007, 15:40
Trying to expand my Bourbon horizons so I am new to this site...

Picked up a bottle of Rare Breed last weekend and just ordered a Lot B and a Buffalo Trace.

TBoner
04-04-2007, 15:57
Replaced my BT today.
Also got an OGD BIB (can't bring myself to use my ND versions in Manhattans or Old-Fashioneds) and a WTRR101 this week.

ggilbertva
04-06-2007, 11:43
Went to Ft. Myer commissary in Arlington VA today over lunch and picked up the following (all .750L):

EWSB '96 - $19.95
HMSB BIB - $23.00
Beam Black Label - $14.95

The McKenna BIB is a first time purchase for me so not sure the $23 is a good price or not. VA ABC has the EWSB for almost 20% more and the Beam Black for more that 30% more. Saving money makes me happy.....saving money buying bourbon makes me happy happy. :grin:

smokinjoe
04-06-2007, 12:53
Went to Ft. Myer commissary in Arlington VA today over lunch and picked up the following (all .750L):

EWSB '96 - $19.95
HMSB BIB - $23.00
Beam Black Label - $14.95

The McKenna BIB is a first time purchase for me so not sure the $23 is a good price or not. VA ABC has the EWSB for almost 20% more and the Beam Black for more that 30% more. Saving money makes me happy.....saving money buying bourbon makes me happy happy. :grin:

Well, Greg you should be positively elated then! Those are exceptional prices, as compared to what I have seen in several states.

I picked up EWSB 97 and OGD114. Hadn't had the OGD in some time. Sure do like that burnt corner of the brownie taste.

JOE

cowdery
04-06-2007, 13:09
Agreed. I looked at those prices with envy, and Chicago prices are generally pretty good.

ggilbertva
04-06-2007, 14:33
Excellent...I think I'll celebrate by drinking some....bourbon! Well Chuck, I am also envious to the fact that you have such a fantastic selection there in Chicagoland. My only recourse to VA's limited selections is travel into MD (which is how I scored my latest WLW, GTS and Tribute purchases) or order from Binny's.

darkluna
04-06-2007, 19:56
Thanks to friends in high places (KY) I received two bottles of Four Roses Single Barrel today. I'm looking forward to trying this one!

ggilbertva
04-06-2007, 20:44
Made some additional purchases today. As I've whined about in numerous threads, VA lacks imagination when it comes to offering a good cross section of small batch/premium bottles; although, they are improving.

I ordered online the PVW 15 year for $36.99 a bottle. I don't think I've ever seen the price that low. Maybe some of you can purchase in your local liquor store that cheap but VA doesn't even carry it and the store in MD I frequent would special order it for $50. Shoot, even Binny's price is $45. So, needless to say I ordered:

4 each PVW 15 ($36.99)
2 each ORVW 10/107 ($26.99)
1 RHF 2005 vintage ($38.99)

I think it's been a good day of bargains....I need to stop now....:rolleyes:

Virus_Of_Life
04-06-2007, 21:23
Thanks to a $25 gift card error from Bevmo (long story) I decided to try something new. The things they carry that I have not tried that I can't get cheaper somewhere else are few so I opted for the 2006 Birthday Bourbon. So I essentially got a $40 bourbon for about $14 out of pocket :D That helped ever so slightly the sting of a $403 traffic violation for running a red light and having a camera take my picture...

I had cursed the bottle shape many times in the past, but have to say I am pretty imperssed with this, it has a marvelous nose.

full_proof
04-07-2007, 09:09
Conecuh Ridge. I bought it out of boredom more than anything else. The nose and taste is pure :shithappens: ! Don't waste money on this. It's sweet enough to pour on waffles and pancakes...BRB...my toaster just popped open :lol:

tmas
04-07-2007, 09:30
I picked up a bottle of Baker's today. Always liked Baker's and I've never seen it as cheap as this, $29.99 on sale.

I'm curious, how much do you folks pay for Baker's who live near to the Bourbon epicenter? Tom V

HighTower
04-07-2007, 15:11
I picked up a bottle of Baker's today. Always liked Baker's and I've never seen it as cheap as this, $29.99 on sale.

I'm curious, how much do you folks pay for Baker's who live near to the Bourbon epicenter? Tom V

Baker's sells for about $80 in Australia, I would consider more being on a fault line rather than near the epicenter!

Scott

ggilbertva
04-07-2007, 18:59
I can't stop....I have a bourbon sickness.....

I purchased, yet again.

ETL for $25

CrispyCritter
04-07-2007, 20:54
I decided to take a bit of a roadtrip today. I only stopped in one liquor store, but they had Knob Creek at $18.99 a bottle. Needless to say, I took one home with me.

tango-papa
04-07-2007, 23:59
Found / noticed it a month or so ago but let it sit until yesterday...
The only bottle of Fighting Cock 8 year I've ever seen. Purchased the somewhat dusty (750ml) bottle yesterday for $16.

Neat label - looks good on the shelf too.

gothbat
04-09-2007, 12:10
Stopped off at a store on my way home from PA and picked up a PVW20 in a red velvet bag. Decent price too, ~$77 with tax. I've always wanted one in a red velvet bag! :)

snakster
04-09-2007, 19:01
Okay, I stopped in to my local Wine & Spirits store this evening here in PA. I usually stop in to see if there is any new wine I might want to try. Of course I always peruse the bourbon section....just because.

What I saw almost gave me a heart attack. The AH Hirsch 16 YO was on clearance for $49.99 ($20 off regualr price). I had bought a bottle a month or two ago just to have one. Of course I bought a bottle tonight. Now I may actually TRY it. And I think I may dip into my poker bankroll to buy another tomorrow (there are 6 left). I would buy them all, except I just don't think my wife would understand.

:woohoo:

And before you ask, all gold foil versions.

tango-papa
04-09-2007, 19:03
One bottle of George T. Stagg 2006 out the door at fifty-four.:grin:

FYI for those in the Houston metro and surrounding area...
The downtown Specs had the following notable Bourbons on the shelves this afternoon:

1) Thomas H. Handy (132.7) at $49-ish each (3 bottles).
2) George T. Stagg (140.6 ) at $49-ish each (4 bottles).
3) Pappy Van Winkle 23 at $217 each (3 bottles / 2 in the black bag).
4) Van Winkle Lot B at $40-ish each (5 or 6 bottles).
5) ORVW 10/90 at $26-ish each (5 or 6 bottles).
6) ORVW 10/107 at $28-ish each (5 or 6 bottles).

I'm forgetting something, but can't recall right now.
Happy Hunting...

~tp

tango-papa
04-09-2007, 19:04
Stopped off at a store on my way home from PA and picked up a PVW20 in a red velvet bag. Decent price too, ~$77 with tax. I've always wanted one in a velvet bag! :)

That's a fantastic price - congrats on a good find!

~tp

tango-papa
04-09-2007, 19:07
Okay, I stopped in to my local Wine & Spirits store this evening here in PA. I usually stop in to see if there is any new wine I might want to try. Of course I always peruse the bourbon section....just because.

What I saw almost gave me a heart attack. The AH Hirsch 16 YO was on clearance for $49.99 ($20 off regualr price). I had bought a bottle a month or two ago just to have one. Of course I bought a bottle tonight. Now I may actually TRY it. And I think I may dip into my poker bankroll to buy another tomorrow (there are 6 left). I would buy them all, except I just don't think my wife would understand.

:woohoo:

And before you ask, all gold foil versions.

Duuuuude! Nice score!
And no, she won't understand.:skep:
However, I submit that sometimes it's better to just ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
Just do it...
Sooner or later it'll be okay...:lol:

TNbourbon
04-09-2007, 19:24
...The AH Hirsch 16 YO was on clearance for $49.99...I would buy them all, except I just don't think my wife would understand...

...However, I submit that sometimes it's better to just ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
Just do it...

Indeed, you'd have trading stock which would eventually get you much of what you can't otherwise find. Money spent today may actually save you money in the future.

doubleblank
04-10-2007, 07:37
Not exactly what I bought today....but I received it today. Did some trading recently with a SB member......an assortment of '05 and '06 BTAC's for these (and others that should arrive soon). I'm posting the pic for those that said they had never seen the Old Rip 12yo 105 proof from Lawrenceburg. Come to the Sampler and I'll pour you some.

Randy

ggilbertva
04-10-2007, 07:47
That's a fantastic price - congrats on a good find!

~tp

Shoppersvineyard.com has the PVW15 for $36.99, PVW20 for $68.99 and the OVW23 for $209.99. Shipping prices are very reasonable. I purchased 7 bottles of bourbon over the weekend and it cost me $22 to ship from NJ to VA.

Rughi
04-10-2007, 10:33
I'm posting the pic for those that said they had never seen the Old Rip 12yo 105 proof from Lawrenceburg.
Randy

Randy,
Were the Old Rips sent from Japan? I had thought they were _meant_ as export only, but if so some of them must have fallen off the dock at the Port of Oakland, as my corner liquor store kept me supplied with these for the several years that I drank bourbon but didn't think much about it.

The only other bottle I've seen of Rip 12/105 was brought back by our Japanese connection, Tim3.

I think Rip 12/105 is the only Van Winkle I've had that I liked better than ORVW 15/107. I haven't opened one in years, but at one of these Study Sessions, who knows....

Roger

Vange
04-10-2007, 14:05
WL Weller 19
WLW '06

I'll throw this in also:
Duncan Taylor Glenugie 23 yo sherry cask

doubleblank
04-10-2007, 14:32
Yes Roger, those bottles made the round trip to Japan and back. I also believe they were primarily for export, but are 750's so could go anywhere. I haven't had any Old Rip 12/105 in about 7 years, but I recall it being very good.

The rest of my stuff arrived today. Some Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye in the green glass bottles (from L'burg) and WT Master Distiller Selection 14yo barrel proof. The display cabinet has the ubiquitous "Certificate of Authenticity" and a velvet bag containing a piece from the barrels the whiskey was dumped from (whose idea was that?).

Now which one to open later tonight?

barturtle
04-10-2007, 14:54
The rest of my stuff arrived today. Some Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye in the green glass bottles (from L'burg) and WT Master Distiller Selection 14yo barrel proof. The display cabinet has the ubiquitous "Certificate of Authenticity" and a velvet bag containing a piece from the barrels the whiskey was dumped from (whose idea was that?).

You made me go and pick up my oldest VWFRR, a C bottling to check the color of the glass...clear, but I also picked up an older Lot B...green? Odd that, never noticed a green B before...I wonder how long I've had that bottle (at least 6 years, I guess)...anyone else notice a green B?

OscarV
04-10-2007, 15:28
WT Master Distiller Selection 14yo barrel proof. The display cabinet has the ubiquitous "Certificate of Authenticity" and a velvet bag containing a piece from the barrels the whiskey was dumped from

I got one of these WTMDS week before last. What kind of wood would you say the box/cabinet is made of?
As far as the peice of stave that is in the bag, I'm not sure if it is from the barrel that the whisky was in. I have seen the staves of used barrels before, and the depth at which the whisky penetrated on my peice of stave would not suggest 14 years.
Also on the certificate it states,..."also included a sample piece of an actual barrel as a collector's item for further authentification."

It will be a while before I drink it.

Gillman
04-10-2007, 16:06
Open the rye, Randy. What batch number is on those, is it A or B? If I recall the very first bottles used a different designation.

Gary

doubleblank
04-10-2007, 16:22
Hey Timothy.....All of the older VW's I have are in the green glass bottles. The oldest Lot B's have a slightly different label and are in green glass. I suspect that was his standard round bottle for his bottling operation in the '80's and '90's.

These are the oldest VWFRR's I have seen and are simply numbered w/o a preceeding letter. The green glass and lack of any letter tells me this is probably from the very first bottling Julian did of the 13yo rye,,,,,in other words, its really 13yo.

With that redish stain on the box, I'm not sure of the wood type. It's fairly soft and light. I plan on doing a WT tasteoff soon whenever I get a group of SB'ers together here in Texas. WT 12yo, MDS 14yo and Tribute 15yo.

Randy

Gillman
04-10-2007, 16:29
Randy, how do we know Tribute is 15 years old? My bottle does not state an age.

Gary

Gillman
04-10-2007, 16:31
Okay Randy you have answered my question regarding the designations on the earliest VWFRR bottles.

I'd be interested in a taste note.

Gary

barturtle
04-10-2007, 16:34

Gary
Do you have the Japanese release...my US release states it clearly right on the label, as well as a duplicate label on the canister?

Gillman
04-10-2007, 16:42
Timothy, I don't have the bottle before me, I will check shortly. This one was bought in duty-free in a U.S. airport.

Gary

CrispyCritter
04-10-2007, 20:12
Tonight, I picked up a Pappy 15, and also a bottle of Bénédictine for cocktail purposes.

whiskeyhatch
04-10-2007, 20:41
Went looking for Old Weller Antique 107 and Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye. Also found ORVW 10 yr 107 and, much to my surprise, George T. Stagg. I'd nearly given up on finding any bottles of this stuff. I gotta say that I like this stuff much better than Booker's. Although, after my first taste I was nearly down for the count before the sun even went down. Next time I'm keeping my distilled water handy!

zdevin
04-11-2007, 12:49
Went looking for Old Weller Antique 107 and Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye. Also found ORVW 10 yr 107 and, much to my surprise, George T. Stagg. I'd nearly given up on finding any bottles of this stuff. I gotta say that I like this stuff much better than Booker's. Although, after my first taste I was nearly down for the count before the sun even went down. Next time I'm keeping my distilled water handy!

The Stagg is good stuff. I'm savoring my bottle and keeping one in reserve. Funny coincidence---last night I went lookinf for a bottle of Weller and came accross a bottle of Sazerac 18-Year which is a member of the Antique Collection that Stagg belongs to---and I had completely given up on finding anything from the Antique Collection in my state.

smokinjoe
04-11-2007, 14:50
Came home with a Buffalo Trace, Kentucky Spirit, Knoxville--TN retailer McScrooge's single barrel bottling of Weller 12 (Awesome, by the way), and a Tribute. I only picked up the Tribute because I know that Dawn would kick my $%#! at the Sampler if she knew I passed on it!!:grin:

JOE

luv2hunt
04-11-2007, 14:53
Yes I would!! And if you don't want it....I'll take it :grin::grin:

Dawn

HighTower
04-11-2007, 15:09

Gary

Do you have the Japanese release...my US release states it clearly right on the label, as well as a duplicate label on the canister?
I have the US and Japan Tribute bottles, and both clearly state 15yo. The only noticeable difference is the US is 101 proof and the Japan is 110 proof. (And in the KY Spirit style bottle)

Scott

Bob O.
04-11-2007, 15:55
I picked up a OGD 114 at lunch today. My bottles of BT and Lot B just arrived as well. Looks like a good night ahead of me. :grin:

ggilbertva
04-11-2007, 19:01
My web purchase came in the mail today.

Pappy 15
ORVW 10/107 and
Rock Hill Farms

I'm stocking up on the Pappy...too good to not have multiple bottles in the bunker.

scratchline
04-11-2007, 22:56
I'm in DC on work and found a couple of bottles of gold foil WT 12 a few blocks from the Capitol yesterday. Clearly, our congressmen don't know a good thing when it's under their noses.

And today I found an old 375 of Dant Bonded, distilled Louisville #2 bottled #16, and something I thought I'd never see: a pint of James Pepper Bonded, distilled #5, bottled #1. Unfortunately the date on the strip is chipped away, but the bottle is bottom stamped '59 and there is very little evaporation. It's the only Schenley whiskey I've come across and I'm very interested to try it.

Joeluka
04-12-2007, 08:47
Four Rose Single Barrel and Small Batch are for sale in NY!!!!!!! I was at LeNell's Monday night and there it was. What I did pick up was both new bottles of rye from Tuthilltown Distillers, the Government Warning Rye & the Hudson Manhattahn Rye, an Isaiah Morgan rye, a whisky-barrel aged Bitters from Fee's Brothers, and a Prichard's Sweet Lucy bourbon liqueur.
Then in a trade I just recieved two bottles of Templeton Rye. Can't wait to try them all.

Pictures to follow later.

ggilbertva
04-12-2007, 08:55
Four Rose Single Barrel and Small Batch are for sale in NY!!!!!!! I was at LeNell's Monday night and there it was. What I did pick up was both new bottles of rye from Tuthilltown Distillers, the Government Warning Rye & the Hudson Manhattahn Rye, an Isaiah Morgan rye, a whisky-barrel aged Bitters from Fee's Brothers, and a Prichard's Sweet Lucy bourbon liqueur.
Then in a trade I just recieved two bottles of Templeton Rye. Can't wait to try them all.

Pictures to follow later.

Joe,

I'm jealous. I can only hope and pray that FR comes our way sometime in the near future. Enjoy.

threejean
04-12-2007, 15:23
Just got a bottle of Michter's US1 Unblended. The reviews of this stuff haven't been all that favorable, but I actually think it's pretty good. Kinda sweet, with a smooth finish. It's already vastly improved my day!

tango-papa
04-12-2007, 22:41
Picked up a 1 Liter bottle of Cabin Still with a real red tax strip, bottle dated 81 and priced at $10.99.
There's one left and I might go back for it, but only if someone recommends it as a decent or enjoyable pour.

From my reading/search here, this is S-W no?

~tp

Pappy's Friend
04-13-2007, 18:38
I bought a bottle of VW Lot B, and a Weller Centennial.

ThomasH
04-13-2007, 19:04
Just back from a trip to Kentucky. I got bottles of Four Roses small batch, Very Rare Old Heaven Hill BIB, ORVW 10/107, JW Dant BIB, T.W. Samuels BIB, St. Georges single malt, Makers Mark mint julep and Aberfeldy 12 SMS. The prices have really gone up since my last trip in April 06. I noticed that Old Bardstown 10yr. 101 went up 5.00 per 750. Also saw a few VWFRR for 37.99 in a few places. I almost forgot, Liquor barn came through again with bottles of Hancock's Reserve for 27.99 a bottle. Sure beats paying 50.00 for a bottle!

Thomas

tango-papa
04-13-2007, 20:12
Just back from a trip to Kentucky. I got bottles of Four Roses small batch, Very Rare Old Heaven Hill BIB, ORVW 10/107, JW Dant BIB, T.W. Samuels BIB, St. Georges single malt, Makers Mark mint julep and Aberfeldy 12 SMS. The prices have really gone up since my last trip in April 06. I noticed that Old Bardstown 10yr. 101 went up 5.00 per 750. Also saw a few VWFRR for 37.99 in a few places. I almost forgot, Liquor barn came through again with bottles of Hancock's Reserve for 27.99 a bottle. Sure beats paying 50.00 for a bottle!

Thomas

Very nice spread / selections!
I would really be interested in how your thoughts on the St. Georges single malt. I've contemplated getting a bottle, but will have to purchase online and have it shipped to TX - not available here that I know of anyway.

~tp

TBoner
04-13-2007, 22:47
Not to hijack, but tango, if you have found a way to have online purchases shipped to TX, pm me and let me know. If this is possible, I'll go broke in weeks.

BTW, bought an OC12 today. I'll be buying a bottle a week until the price goes up by $5 (as if it's not bad enough that every store in town moved it up $2 or more about a year ago). Then...?

Old Lamplighter
04-13-2007, 23:28
Being payday, I remembered a store that had a good price on Rock Hill Farms - something I have not tried in quite a while. The memory area of my brain that recalls the location of bourbons becomes quite keen on payday every 2 weeks. Anyhow, when I finally got there this evening, I found 1 last bottle of Weller 12 for around $20 with the old label. So, I left with the Weller instead of the RHF.....it can wait another couple of weeks.

wildcatdon
04-16-2007, 12:28
I just bought a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 90 proof..10 yr old..it is excellent...Back in March a couple of friends and I went to Bourbon's Bistro here in Lou for the dinner and bourbon tasting with Julian Van Winkle being the host..We had the 12-15-20-23 yr old bourbons..They are all excellent..it was a fun night..

Fitzharry,is the Old Charter proprietor's reserve very good? I have been looking at it for some time but hesitant to buy it. Thanks..Don

bluesbassdad
04-16-2007, 15:58
My bourbon consumption has dropped to almost nothing lately. Nevertheless, today I happened to spot the recently relocated Liqour Barn in Prescott, and I couldn't resist stopping in, if only to inspect the conversion from a full-service music store.

I found that the American whiskey section has grown slightly. I picked up a bottle of Old Fitz BIB (a tip of the hat to Mr. Cowdery) and a George Dickel Barrel Select.

I had hoped to get the GDBS at a mark-down, having seen dozens of bottles of it laid in at the old location back before Christmas. No luck. There were several bottles, but nothing to indicate panic selling.

Speaking of which, I discussed with the proprietor the fact that she seemed to be having the latest after-Christmas sale I'd ever seen. There were multiple cases of Maker's Mark 1.75 L. with red/green wax and gift-tag neck-hangers. She complained bitterly that she had placed the order before the Christmas buying season, but had received the shipment only recently. Someone from Maker's Mark HQ might need to have a chat with their distributor in this area.

Oh, and the the MM 1.75's were marked down to $39.99, a price that most of you can probably beat on an everyday basis. I have a barely touched 750 ml. bottle on my shelf; I wasn't tempted to add more.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

mythrenegade
04-16-2007, 18:43
Today was a good day. I went to hitimes in Costa Mesa and came away with a bottle of Rip Van Winkel 10yo, Russell's Reserve, Ridgemont Reserve 1792, and Old Forester 100pf. I've never had any of these. It will be a few days before I crack open even one of these...

Joel

ggilbertva
04-16-2007, 19:00
Snagged the last two (dusty) bottles of GTS from a local ABC store. I went into this particular store about 5 months ago and they had 4 bottles sitting on the shelf. I didn't buy any at the time because I had two in the bunker. I talked to the manager and he said they've been sitting there for quite some time...."nobody really buys them" says he. I fixed that and took them both home.

bluesbassdad
04-16-2007, 19:03
Is that the new, lower proof Russell's?

At first sip I belittled it. However, recently I've not been drinking every day, and I find its lighter character acceptable to my palate. Plenty of flavor and zing, IOW.

I still wish they had retired the name, but IMO it's a worthwhile bottling, especially for new or occasional whiskey-drinkers.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

CrispyCritter
04-17-2007, 19:09
I decided to drop in to my nearest Binny's, and there was still one lonely bottle of Handy on the shelf. Even though I already have one in reserve, I decided that grabbing another one would be a good idea.

ggilbertva
04-17-2007, 19:14
Saw a bottle of Evan Williams 1793 for $12 at the ABC store. I haven't tried this one so figured for $12 I would pick it up and give it a whirl.

tango-papa
04-17-2007, 19:16
I decided to drop in to my nearest Binny's, and there was still one lonely bottle of Handy on the shelf. Even though I already have one in reserve, I decided that grabbing another one would be a good idea.

For the sake of comparitive curiosity, what price was the Handy at Binny's?
Passed on a couple bottles at our version of Binny's (Spec's) here in Houston last week at $49ish each.

Yesterday, I found and purchased 2 more tax-stripped Cabin Still 1 Liters with a bottom of the bottle date of '81 and a bottle of BHC Very Special Old Fitzgerald with the Louisville label.

Today, a '93 Wild Turkey Rare Breed and a Louisville labelled 1.75 Weller 107 with the 88076 UPC and hand numbered front label.

Two days of a few good finds in my book! :cool:

~tp

CrispyCritter
04-17-2007, 19:20
Passed on a couple bottles at our version of Binny's (Spec's) here in Houston last week at $49ish each.

Binny's is charging $59 for it. A bit on the high side, unfortunately, but if I ordered it from elsewhere, the shipping costs would kill any savings.

tango-papa
04-17-2007, 19:24
Binny's is charging $59 for it. A bit on the high side, unfortunately, but if I ordered it from elsewhere, the shipping costs would kill any savings.

Still a fair price, but agreed, a bit on the high side.
I plan on re-visiting the (Handy stocked) Spec's location later this week and if they still have the Handy, will pick one up for my growing collection.

~tp

Edward_call_me_Ed
04-17-2007, 20:53
I bought a couple of bottles this week.

One, Evan Williams 7 year old. I found one bottle of this next to a few of the newer no age statement EW.

Two, a bottle of Wild Turkey Rye. I there is a date on the gold foil 09/06/96 even a time 13:06. It has a green label. I had one bottle of this last month and really liked it. I think it is better than the bottles of the tan label I usually see. I would like to do a head to head someday.

Ed

Old Lamplighter
04-17-2007, 22:48
Got lucky today and came across another old bottle of Wathens - 1999 bottling, St. Louis. Hope it is as good as the last one. Next stop later in the evening was picking up another 06 WLW from same place where I got the first one. Still one more on the shelf and tempted to go back for it soon. Was marked $57.99 but a discount was provided of $5.80 to reduce it to a very nice $52.19......well, + tax of course. The clerk said he thought all the BTAC on their shelves was on sale right now. Maybe a good idea to go back and grab the last WLW - and maybe the 1 Handy they have as well.

ggilbertva
04-18-2007, 05:23
Holy cow....a bottle of WLW and Handy? Run don't walk and snag 'em both. You won't be sorry.