PDA

View Full Version : Scotch and Ice

Gillman
02-14-2007, 16:04
I have found that a complex blended scotch whisky goes great with ice and soda. Of course, I make my own (scotch). Here's how I did it tonight.

I took some Famous Grouse 18 year old vatted malt. I added some Ardbeg (the vatted version with the Celtic name that starts with "U").

Then I added some miscellaneous mixed scotch I keep (mostly malt with some grain from the blended whisky component).

Still wasn't right, so I added some 20 year old CC. Remember, CC or any Canadian whisky is essentially like a Scotch grain, so this provided a "display" function (Scots blending term).

Like the focus feature on a camera, this brought the drink into perfect focus. It is fine for neat sipping, but I want to go "whisky-soda" tonight.

Add as much again of plain Perrier, and then lots of rocks. Now it's rockin', a Scotch Mist on steroids.

Gary

ratcheer
02-14-2007, 16:06
Sounds wonderful, Gary.

Tim

Gillman
02-14-2007, 16:21
Thanks Tim, wish you could try it.

What makes it click is the complexity of the Scotch whiskies but all working together in lock-step. And with this kind of blend, the ice and soda work perfecty as a catalyst, basically.

It wouldn't work with just a single malt good as it is, the whisky taste would attenuate to the vanishing point.

Gary

Gillman
02-14-2007, 16:22
I should try this with Johnnie Walker Black. It might equate exactly to what I created. :)

Gary

JeffRenner
02-14-2007, 16:23
Sounds wonderful, Gary.

I agree, Tim. Only trouble I have with Scotch and soda is the soda. Am I the only one who thinks it tastes like sodium bicarbonate and water, as in a stomach remedy?

Of course, commercial soda water does have bicarbonate in it. So I have made my own soda, or seltzer water, by carbonating water in a Cornelius keg (ex Pepsi, which I normally use to keg my homebrewed beer). Even with reverse osmosis water, which is essentially ion-free, it still has that taste, which I don't like.

I wish I did, because Scotch (or any other whiskey) and soda should be a great drink.

Jeff

Gillman
02-14-2007, 16:25
You did the right thing, Jeff, I am sure it is very good.

This is why I use Perrier. All I want is clean water and CO2, no salts and such, which can alter the taste.

Gary

ratcheer
02-15-2007, 17:15
Perrier is my "soda" of choice, too. It is very clean tasting. I even like it with bourbon! :grin:

Tim

Gillman
02-15-2007, 17:20
I like a "clean" carbonated water too. I find it goes well with any bourbon 100 proof or over. I like a 50/50 mix, sometimes with ice, sometimes not.

Gary

tachyonshuggy
02-21-2007, 10:19
Teacher's and ice is one of my favorite non-bourbon whisk(e)y drinks. No soda and no water (well, not at first).

TimmyBoston
04-05-2007, 07:20
I"m really glad you liked your drink, I just can't fathom adding soda to Uigeadail. :bigeyes:

mier
05-24-2007, 14:27
When you have a nice single malt try just one drop of water and taste how it already gives a change to your dram