PDA

View Full Version : A good bourbon 21 years from now

samstone
03-01-2007, 16:59
I have a 1 year old son
We recently made a time capsule for him that he will open when he graduates college, gets married, or whatever.
What bourbon would you put in there and why?

thanks in advance

TNbourbon
03-01-2007, 17:19
I have a 1 year old son
We recently made a time capsule for him that he will open when he graduates college, gets married, or whatever.

thanks in advance

Just one, born in early 2006? If so, then Rittenhouse 21yo single-barrel rye issued in 2006 -- especially if you could find a bottle from barrel #21 -- seems lined up to be a 21yo's prize.

By the way, remember to store it upright if you choose a corked bottle. High-proof alcohol will degrade a cork over extended contact.

barturtle
03-01-2007, 17:25
Putting away a bottle to sleep for a long time? Nothing more appropriate than Old Rip Van Winkle! If you can find one go for the ORVW 15yo, if not a 10yo version would be fine as well. A screwtop is essential in this endeavor and these are the best screwtops available.

luv2hunt
03-01-2007, 20:13
If the Rittenhouse is too expensive, I'd stick with something that was a special release or new in 2006. I'd do the GT Stagg or WLW.

Dawn

wadewood
03-01-2007, 21:18
A good bourbon 21 years from now is any bourbon that is good right now. Unlike wine, bourbon does not age in the bottle and become better. Stored properly, the taste in 21 years should be the same as the taste today.

Ubertaster
03-02-2007, 07:01
I would go with your favorite today so he would know what you were drinking.

bj

BourbonBalls
03-02-2007, 08:29
How about the Evan Williams single barrel? Was your son born in 2006? There should be some Evan Willams 1996 bottles still around. Handwritten on the back, it shows the bourbon was bottled in 2006.

Clearly marks his birth year!

brian12069
03-02-2007, 18:25
I have a 1 year old son

thanks in advance

IF I was in a good, IF I had a spare bottle and IF I thought the little tike would appreciate it some day...ORVW 15 yr 107. But damn that would hurt...

cowdery
03-02-2007, 18:41
I second the EWSB suggestion.

There's a bit of a "why?" factor here. Possibly, as Tim suspects, the person who asked the question mistakenly believes the bourbon will age in the time capsule, which it won't.

EWSB has the benefit of having the birth year on the front label (it shouldn't be hard to find some 1996).

The alternative is just to put something in there that's very good. What we don't know, obviously, is why you want to put a bourbon in there in the first place, which goes to your concept of what this time capsule is supposed to say to your child in 21 or so years.

brian12069
03-02-2007, 18:51
I second the EWSB suggestion.

There's a bit of a "why?" factor here. Possibly, as Tim suspects, the person who asked the question mistakenly believes the bourbon will age in the time capsule, which it won't.

EWSB has the benefit of having the birth year on the front label (it shouldn't be hard to find some 1996).

The alternative is just to put something in there that's very good. What we don't know, obviously, is why you want to put a bourbon in there in the first place, which goes to your concept of what this time capsule is supposed to say to your child in 21 or so years.

Good point...save your money and just use Old Crow.

cowdery
03-02-2007, 19:07
Now if you want to put a barrel of whiskey in the time capsule, that's a whole nuther deal.

brian12069
03-02-2007, 19:12
Now if you want to put a barrel of whiskey in the time capsule, that's a whole nuther deal.

NOW I like that thinking...

CrispyCritter
03-02-2007, 21:17
Another approach (but it might not work, depending on market conditions), would be to buy a bottle of 21yo (age statement) whiskey for his 21st birthday.

HighTower
03-03-2007, 01:04
Buy a barrel of Pappy 23. Put it in the time capsule. In 20 years when he's 21, you'll have some 43 yo SW Pappy. You'll probably have enough for a couple of 50mL bottles left in that barrel :lol:

Scott

samstone
03-03-2007, 07:27
Thanks for the replies.
I'm not worried about the bourbon going bad, although over the next couple of decades the bottle will almost surely get stored on its side for a while. So I'm pretty sure I need a screw on cap. I'm looking for something to commemorate his birth year, so I like the suggestion of the 2006 Evan Williams SB. Does it have a cork?
The 21 yo Rittenhouse is a little out of my price range right now.
My favorite suggestion is a barrel of Pappy 23 yo. There's always the hope that he could turn out to be a Baptist preacher, in which case I would be forced to drink the whole barrel myself.
Looks like the ORVW may be the best choice, unless you guys have other ideas.

thanks

HighTower
03-03-2007, 13:58
Yes, the EWSB does have a cork seal.

Scott

RedVette
03-04-2007, 08:36
The ORVW 15/107 would be by far the best screw top Bourbon you could semi-easily find today. It is out of print, having been replaced by the Pappy 15 which has a cork, but it does exist out there. I would imagine that 21 years from now a bottle of 15/107 would be worth a great deal of money to the right person.

smokinjoe
03-04-2007, 19:38
Samstone:

Several good suggestions here. Tell you what I did. I purchased one of the Maker's Mark VIP, gold wax bottles, with the label that MM will print whatever you want on it. I had them print her name and birthday on the label. The box is sealed, with instructions to open on her 21st B-day in 2019. I look forward to that day when we open it up, and toast her big day. It is, and will continue to be, my most cherished bottle.

Cheers!

JOE

luv2hunt
03-04-2007, 21:41
Awwwww Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's pretty cool :cool:

HighTower
03-05-2007, 00:57
I'm with Dawn, that's awesome Joe! The Makers Mark VIP is a very elegant bottle shape too....

Scott

jsgorman
08-06-2007, 16:29
Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon for 2006...

My son was born in 2005, and I set 2 aside for him. I will also pick up scotch and bourbon over the years at different ages that were distilled in 2005.

cowdery
08-06-2007, 17:30
I wonder about this sort of thing, but this is coming from someone who has never had children. I am, however, reminded of an ex-girlfriend who was constantly frustrated by the fact that her adult children didn't value the same things from their pasts that she valued. These were not keepsakes she kept for herself but things she had saved "for them" and she was constantly getting her feelings hurt because they didn't want them.

HipFlask
08-06-2007, 20:40
The Champange of Bourbon Pappy Van Winkle dumped in 2006 of coarse.

The ex-girlfriend thing I would think would depend how the kids are raised and perhaps the items saved. You definately want a good memory to surround it. That way if they don't apprecaite it at 21 they just might by 41 or when they have children of their own or after you have passed on.

ILLfarmboy
08-07-2007, 12:01
The older I get the more sentimental value I place on things. My parents who are both in their early sixty's won't be around forever. When you are young you, or at least I, didn't think of such things.

Parents and their children don't always like the same things. Though he never showed it, I know dad was disappointed I wasn't into sports as a youngster. But not liking good Bourbon? that's just crazy talk.:cool:

ggilbertva
08-07-2007, 15:34
Thanks to the generosity of a fellow SB'er, I have a bottle of EWSB 1990 and 1992 for each of my sons. They will receive said bottles in 2011 and 2013 respectively.

OscarV
08-07-2007, 15:41
I can't wait to my SB.com Pappy 23 year olds.
They were distilled and barreled in March 1984, the same month and year as our daughter's birth.
She does not like spirits but she said she would have one with me.