PDA

View Full Version : Samuel Houston

TroyM
03-13-2007, 22:44
Hi guys. Im a newbie here. I picked up a bottle of Sam Houston from batch#6. Can anyone tell me about this bourbon and how many batches have been produced?

HighTower
03-14-2007, 00:21
Hi Troy, good to see another Aussie aboard SB.com!
Sam Houston is produced by McKlain & Kyne distillery, and if there is an age statement on your bottle of 10 years, this is older stock.
How long have you had this particular bottle? And was it purchased in Australia? Sam Houston, along with Jefferson's Reserve (also a McKlain & Kyne product) were distributed in Australia by a company called Tarac, who also had distribution rights to Beenleigh Rum. When the Beenleigh rum distillery took a dive, (in approx 2001/2?) importation and distribution of these brands stopped.
If you recently got this bottle in Australia (I am sure there's a few dusty bottles still on a few shelves somewhere), I would be keen to know where you got it from, as I am hunting some Jeffersons Reserve myself :)

As far as more specifics about the bourbon itself, I have not tried it nor do I know much about it, although plenty of people here could help you out with that! You may also find the search feature very beneficial, there are a lot of old posts here, and plenty or bourbon knowledge!

Scott

cowdery
03-14-2007, 10:34
A few months ago, McKlain & Kyne became part of Castle Brands, which is best known as the marketer of Knappogue Castle Irish whiskey. Likewise, McKlain & Kyne is a marketing company, not a distiller nor even a bottler. Their whiskey is sourced and bottled by Kentucky Bourbon Distillers.

"Batch" is a vague term as it's used in the whiskey business, but it usually refers to bottling runs, so who cares, really? It definitely does not refer to distillation runs in this case, as Houston is a bulk whiskey product.

TroyM
03-18-2007, 18:18
I picked up this bourbon recently but it was covered in dust and the ink had faded from the original batch and bottle numbers. All that was left was the indent the pen had made when the figures were originally written. I know this isnt a vintage bottle or anything like that, I was just curious as to the rough age of the bottle.

cowdery
03-19-2007, 16:51
Just off the top of my head, I would say the brand was introduced less than ten years ago so it's no older than that. Look at the bottom of the bottle. There often are numbers embossed into the glass and one of them, usually, is the last two digits of the year in which the glass was made. Since bottles don't usually sit empty for very long, the year the bottle was made is usually the year in which it was filled too.