PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Noob Question

Geekboy
03-30-2007, 12:43
I have thoroughly enjoyed EC 12 year old. It has become one of my favorites. I've probably had 7 or 8 bottles now.

This last bottle I purchased was almost undrinkable. Smelled and tasted extremely musty!

What could the cause of this be? Does this happen quite a bit, rarely, sometimes, etc.?

Just curious.

TNbourbon
03-30-2007, 12:55
I have thoroughly enjoyed EC 12 year old. It has become one of my favorites. I've probably had 7 or 8 bottles now.

This last bottle I purchased was almost undrinkable. Smelled and tasted extremely musty!

What could the cause of this be? Does this happen quite a bit, rarely, sometimes, etc.?

Just curious.

Yep, it occurs. EC12 is like the little girl with the little curl -- when it is good, it is very, very good, and when it's bad, it is horrid.
Nobody (that I know of) has explained it, but it has happened to a number of us. Unfortunately for me, it happened on my very first bottle, and I almost never tried it again.
Bottom line, for me, is that EC12 is both such a good value and an occasional enough pour for me that it's not that big a deal. However, in your case, you're just going to have to decide whether or not the low price offsets the occasional bottle you'll get that you don't care to drink.

JeffRenner
04-01-2007, 13:21
I have thoroughly enjoyed EC 12 year old....This last bottle I purchased was almost undrinkable. Smelled and tasted extremely musty!

See my post (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=50925&postcount=16) on this subject from about two years ago. I had a bad cork that produced this mustiness.

Jeff

MikeDS
04-10-2007, 07:05
I'm pretty new as well and feared that when I got to EC12 on my wish list I would experience this. Luckily, it was great and is one of my favorites now. It's $21.99 where I live and it was worth every penny. Hopefully it'll always be a delicious experience!