PDA

View Full Version : OPVW 23 special fine today!!!

tigerlam92
04-04-2007, 14:46
Hi All,

New member here!

Today I got a very special fine. I happen to pass by Berkeley and wanted to check out the spot (many of you know which one I am talking about) and found a bottle of the OPVW23!! Owner said while he was checking his inventory he found this in the back misplaced, just recently. I bought it right away with a big smile. I asked if it is from last year's bottling, and he said no and thinks it's been back there probably a couple of years at least.

Now I have a 23 and 20. I just ordered a couple of OPVW 15/107 and a VSOF 12/90. I just finished my Blanton and EC18 so I can't wait for the 15 since I am running dry. I was recommended a Whxxxxx (forgot the name) that it is between the Blanton and the EC18 that I will try in the mean time.

Cheers
--Hugh

gothbat
04-04-2007, 15:55
I asked if it is from last year's bottling, and he said no and thinks it's been back there probably a couple of years at least.

You should hold the bottle up to the light and see if the glass is green, although PVW23 is always a good find this bottle may be a better find than you think. Welcome to the board.

OscarV
04-04-2007, 15:56
yeah,...wasn't the original in green glass and not a wheater?

tigerlam92
04-04-2007, 16:15
I'll check later. I don't think I got that lucky to get the really original with the green glass.

It does say Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 23 NOT Old Pappy Van Winkle 23. Is there a difference? I know there is a large discussion on the 15 and I read through all of those discussion, but how about the 20 and 23. On their site, the family reserve for 20 and 23 are call Old Pappy?

Cheers
--Hugh

gothbat
04-04-2007, 17:17
yeah,...wasn't the original in green glass and not a wheater?

I believe so, and I think the whiskey is from a mystery source to boot.

It does say Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 23 NOT Old Pappy Van Winkle 23. Is there a difference?

I think you mean Old Rip Van Winkle, which is another line from the company that bottles Pappy Van Winkle. The PVW15 replaced the ORVW15 a few years ago and when they first started bottling it they contained the same whiskey, now whether they are the same is iffy but the taste seems to be. ORVW15 is still found on some shelves but it is no longer bottled. I don't think a 20 or a 23 year old Van Winkle bourbon was ever bottled with the ORVW label, only under PVW.

tigerlam92
04-04-2007, 17:57
I believe so, and I think the whiskey is from a mystery source to boot.

I think you mean Old Rip Van Winkle, which is another line from the company that bottles Pappy Van Winkle. The PVW15 replaced the ORVW15 a few years ago and when they first started bottling it they contained the same whiskey, now whether they are the same is iffy but the taste seems to be. ORVW15 is still found on some shelves but it is no longer bottled. I don't think a 20 or a 23 year old Van Winkle bourbon was ever bottled with the ORVW label, only under PVW.

Learning and reading some more, it appears that the green glass is definitely a non SW source so may not be as good, correct?

Another thing that is pretty consistent is that any Van Winkle is bound to be very good.

Interstingly, I now have five bottles of Van Winkle but have not tasted any of them. I was just told that my order of the 15 and the VSOF is shipped. So I can't wait to taste them!

If the 15 tastes as good as I was told and good to me, I will try to find some more 20 and 23 so I can get to taste them and still keep a bottle in the newly started bunker.

Cheers
--Hugh

tigerlam92
04-04-2007, 17:59
Question: Do all bourbon drinker become obsess at collecting and search for good bourbon!! I'm starting to feel like I am getting some kind of problem/disease. LOL

Empty Glass
04-04-2007, 18:19
Yes...but it's never a problem and there is no need for a cure.

TNbourbon
04-04-2007, 20:03
The original Pappy 23 (1999) was the only one issued from Lawrenceburg, KY, which will be on the label. If it's from Frankfort but has no 'A' prefix, it's from the second bottling in 2003. The 'A' prefix marks it as third bottling (December 2005-January 2006).
No, the original is not Stitzel-Weller wheat, but an unspecified (by Julian -- others have their suspicions:lol: ) rye-recipe bourbon. No, it may not be as good -- I'd rate it the best of the bunch! (At least till we get our SB.com single-barrel, anyway.)

tigerlam92
04-04-2007, 20:42
The original Pappy 23 (1999) was the only one issued from Lawrenceburg, KY, which will be on the label. If it's from Frankfort but has no 'A' prefix, it's from the second bottling in 2003. The 'A' prefix marks it as third bottling (December 2005-January 2006).
No, the original is not Stitzel-Weller wheat, but an unspecified (by Julian -- others have their suspicions:lol: ) rye-recipe bourbon. No, it may not be as good -- I'd rate it the best of the bunch! (At least till we get our SB.com single-barrel, anyway.)

Thanks. Frankfort - A504. I'm confused. Is the original unspecified source the best of the bunch or the SW better?

The other bottle I was recommended was the Wathen's. I don't like it as much as the Blanton or the EC18.

Cheers
--Hugh

TNbourbon
04-04-2007, 21:17
Thanks. Frankfort - A504. I'm confused. Is the original unspecified source the best of the bunch or the SW better?

The other bottle I was recommended was the Wathen's. I don't like it as much as the Blanton or the EC18.

Cheers
--Hugh

Opinions will vary -- I enjoyed both of the earlier Pappy 23s, but would list the Lawrenceburg bottling among my 'best-ever'. I find the Frankfort 'A' series, alas, a bit too oaky and tannic for my tastes.
Early Wathen's (Owensboro or St. Louis, say, pre-Barrel 150 or so) was very good. Reports have been less than stellar on Wathen's bottled from California. Note that they apparently started numbering @ 1 again with the move.

Grain Brain
04-04-2007, 22:53
That depends on whether you like a high wheat or a high rye mashbill bourbon.

I, being a rabid rye fiend, suspect I will prefer the Lawrenceburg bottle over the Frankfort one... once I finally bring myself to open them.

tigerlam92
04-04-2007, 23:22
That depends on whether you like a high wheat or a high rye mashbill bourbon.

I, being a rabid rye fiend, suspect I will prefer the Lawrenceburg bottle over the Frankfort one... once I finally bring myself to open them.

I actually have not tasted the rye type yet. Was thinking to try.

I know I don't like the tannic or spicy flavors that I believe I am tasting from the Wathen. I really like the smooth vanilla and maple flavor though.

Should I be saving the 20 or 23 because of supply therefore wait until I purchase another set before I open them. How do I know if I like it? LOL This is why I am waiting for the 15.

ggilbertva
04-05-2007, 09:47
Question: Do all bourbon drinker become obsess at collecting and search for good bourbon!! I'm starting to feel like I am getting some kind of problem/disease. LOL

Don't fight the urge (unless your wallet is empty). We've all been bitten by the bourbon bug and collect and drink to our hearts content. I own more bourbon than ever before. Although, there are some SB'ers that are clearly into the 100's of bunkered bottles.....:bowdown: