PDA

View Full Version : What are you drinking tonight? (Spring '07)

Pages : [1] 2 3

ggilbertva
04-10-2007, 12:01
Ok, it's time to put Winter to bed and move this thread into Spring. Now that warmer weather is approaching.....what are drinking tonight?

tango-papa
04-10-2007, 19:27
I'll drink to that... with a generous pour of WTRR101.

wskybnt
04-10-2007, 19:36
First pour of the night is BMH 11yr. Maybe some of the 16yr next...

TBoner
04-10-2007, 19:38
Yellowstone 86-proof. Bottled in the late-70s. Very interesting, rounded palate. Good, but young. I like it more than others in this price/age/bottling date range (e.g. Sunny Brook).

Then, some OC12. Wow. This stuff continues to amaze me. I hope the price doesn't climb too much, or I won't be able to accomplish my goal of total liver annihilation before I'm 40.:grin:

whiskeyhatch
04-10-2007, 19:54
If I leave it sitting for about 15-20 minutes, Old Weller Antique 107 gives a nice aroma of pipe tobacco. So I thought this one might pair well with a cigar or a pipe. I ended up with an Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva this evening. Don't know much about cigars but this one is fairly mild with a nutty palate. Plays off well against the rich, creamy aroma/palate/texture of the Old Weller. Can't wait to try it with my pipe. Regardless, they both go well with some Mississippi Blues. This is my first back porch session of the year. Welcome Spring!

CrispyCritter
04-10-2007, 20:05
Spring? It's spring here?! :lol:

I just had a couple Cocktails a la Louisiane, one made with Rittenhouse BIB and the other with Baby Saz.

ggilbertva
04-10-2007, 21:09
Well according to the calendar...it's Spring. This past weekend we had snow flurries....go figure.

Tonight I popped open a fresh bottle of ETL. First time pour for me and it's a tasty bourbon. I was concerned over other threads that this bottle would be "earthy" or "woody" but it's definitely a sweet bourbon. I paired it with my wifes homemade apple pie......:yum:

Old Lamplighter
04-10-2007, 22:24
Well, time to chime in for spring. I guess I'm pretty dull and boring at this point because I am starting spring off with the same thing I finished winter a few nights ago: Eagle Rare SB/90 followed by a generous pour of Eagle Rare 101 from the New Orleans label. Both Eagles get better each time I take flight with them!

Cheers to Spring!!!

barturtle
04-10-2007, 22:48
Since I'm home in Lville, I went by my favorite beer bar and had:

All On Draft!!!
Stone Brewing Double Bastard
Bluegrass Brewing Metamorphosis
Regenboog Guido
Clipper City Peg Leg Imperial Stout

Also brought home (since they have a carryout license as well, Rodenbach Grand Cru.)

Yup a bourbon free night, but I wasn't suffering much!

SBOmarc
04-10-2007, 23:06
My first taste of Rittenhouse Rye BIB. Having read so much about this pour, I looked forward to it all day.

I get it, Great Whiskey.

HighTower
04-11-2007, 05:33
I had an almost half-full bottle of baker's that I decided to revisit, although when I tried to open it the cork snapped.
When I tried to remove it with a cork screw, it fell to pieces into the bottle. I don't have a cork that fits it, so I really see my only option as drinking the contents before the cork deteriorates. Worse things have happened:grin:

Scott

photogjunkie
04-11-2007, 09:10
Yes...spring is here, though I did have a whopping 5 inches of snow at my spread in the Hill Country last weekend after a freak weather event. The wild jackrabbits are eating the remains of the carrots from the melted snowman...and I am drinking circa 2000 Weller 12 and Old Forester 86. Yes...spring has arrived and life is good.

zdevin
04-11-2007, 12:32
Got a bottle of Sazerac Rye 18-Year last night. I know, it's not technically a bourbon, but it's in the same collection as my favorite Stagg, so I'll let it slide.

ggilbertva
04-11-2007, 12:35
Got a bottle of Sazerac Rye 18-Year last night. I know, it's not technically a bourbon, but it's in the same collection as my favorite Stagg, so I'll let it slide.

That's a great whiskey. Nice find.

HighTower
04-11-2007, 15:24
I had an almost half-full bottle of baker's that I decided to revisit, although when I tried to open it the cork snapped.
When I tried to remove it with a cork screw, it fell to pieces into the bottle. I don't have a cork that fits it, so I really see my only option as drinking the contents before the cork deteriorates. Worse things have happened:grin:

Scott
Rather than "What are you drinking tonight" I should have maybe posted this under "How to get one hell of a headache". It would now be what is the next morning, and I have one sore head on my shoulders.

Scott

Martian
04-11-2007, 18:40
JB Black. My first bottle (375 ml.) of this stuff. OK but not as flavorful or complex as Knob Creek. A little disappointing, particularly after seeing mostly positive reviews. I doubt that I'll buy another.

RedVette
04-11-2007, 19:25
JB Black. My first bottle (375 ml.) of this stuff. OK but not as flavorful or complex as Knob Creek. A little disappointing, particularly after seeing mostly positive reviews. I doubt that I'll buy another.

Me too, although it is hardly my first, nor will it be my last bottle. I like the fruity nose and smooth heat. This is not a showy bourbon, but rather a nice way to end a long day.

CrispyCritter
04-11-2007, 19:40
I started out tonight with... you guessed it, Beam Black. While I don't consider it to be a showpiece bourbon, it's a good, solid pour, and this won't be the last bottle I buy, either.

After that, some ER101, and now some '05 Stagg. The Stagg is definitely a showpiece, and the ER101 is no slouch.

ILLfarmboy
04-11-2007, 20:16
Bushmills Single Malt 10yr. It ain't Redbreast but it's good. Much better than the 16yr. IMHO

ggilbertva
04-11-2007, 20:42
Tonight was another pour of Elmer T. Now I'm tired.

Grain Brain
04-11-2007, 21:55
After some Knob Creek OTR and in a Manhattan, and a WT Rye and ginger ale out on the town tonight, am settling in for the Stars v. Canucks game with some straight ORVW 15 yr... which by the way is some downright delicious stuff.

Old Lamplighter
04-11-2007, 21:59
Leaving the Eagles in the cabinet tonight. Enjoying ORVW/10-107 alone this evening. For whatever reason, just seemed like the right time to turn back to a wheater after several nights in a row with rye recipes. Very, very enjoyable!

ggilbertva
04-11-2007, 22:42
Leaving the Eagles in the cabinet tonight. Enjoying ORVW/10-107 alone this evening. For whatever reason, just seemed like the right time to turn back to a wheater after several nights in a row with rye recipes. Very, very enjoyable!

Is that a recent bottling of ORVW 10 or a L'Ville?

whiskeyhatch
04-12-2007, 00:48

I hear ya. For the price, this stuff ain't bad. But it's definately not a favorite. I can't drink JB Black neat (my typical preference for Bourbon). But over crushed ice on a hot summer evening.... not bad.

Bob O.
04-12-2007, 16:22
Last night...

Before dinner...BT.

After dinner...Lot B.

For dessert...OGD 114.

Life is good...

TBoner
04-12-2007, 19:05
Now: S-W Rebel Yell 90-proof

Up next: WTRR101

Later: Highland Park 12 or WT Rye

Randy_Ricchi
04-12-2007, 21:18
90 proof Rebel Yell? I thought it only came in 80 proof!

barturtle
04-12-2007, 21:39
90 proof Rebel Yell? I thought it only came in 80 proof!

Hell there used to be a 101!

TNbourbon
04-12-2007, 22:01
Hell there used to be a 101!

The 101 proof I have, Timothy, is a cinnamon-added liqueur. Was the straight bourbon ever bottled at 101 proof?

barturtle
04-12-2007, 22:08
I'm pretty sure there was, but the last time I remember having it was almost a decade ago, so I could be mistaken...hmmm...damn, don't know where I would even look that up...

tango-papa
04-12-2007, 22:28
Tonight I enjoyed a pour of BTAC WLW 2005 edition.
Shaken, in order to ensure the first and last pours have equal amounts of charred goodness, not stirred.

Old Lamplighter
04-12-2007, 22:58
Enjoying some GTS 131.8 tonight along with a nice pour of Ezra B 15. Both had gathered a bit of dust while sitting around waiting for me since early in the year.....time to give them some proper attention and respect. IMHO, these 2 just get better & better the longer they have been opened.

SBOmarc
04-12-2007, 23:08
Inspired by all of the Great pours, I started with OGD 114. Followed by a full double of Lot B. Ended with an '06 Weller from my dwindling BTAC.

I do so enjoy this adventure.

whiskeyhatch
04-13-2007, 01:41
My first Van Winkle. ORVW 10yr/107. Jeez, and I thought the Old Weller Antique was good. (Well... it is but...). Yesterday I lined up AAA, McAfee's Benchmark, Evan Williams 1783 and Ezra Brooks 90P.
AAA - good but, (this sounds silly) it tastes manufactured.
McAfee's - very plain, uninteresting but drinkable (hard for me to say about a production of my favorite distillery -- BT)
Evan Williams 1783 -- not bad but... someone, somewhere on this forum mentioned a taste of cooked vegetables. I can totally detect it and I just can't shake it. Tried to change it to.... burnt powdered sugar or.... toasted plastic for godsake! Don't think I'll be able to buy this one again.
Now, Ezra Brooks -- this one is still the tops when it comes to bottom shelf stuff. I mentioned that it was thin but, this is a good, solid bourbon.

zdevin
04-13-2007, 08:21
My favorite, George T. Stagg, collects a lot of dust. I'm actually afraid of drinking the stuff. If I drink it the bottle will become empty---and that doesn't sit well with me. Every sip is a great joy, but also sorrowful because I can't stop thinking that now I'm just one sip closer to not having any Stagg.

That is one of the great ironies of Bourbon.

To enjoy something so beautiful you must destroy it.

This year I got an extra bottle of GTS to keep on reserve, but I'm still avoiding it. So instead I drink my Vintage Bourbon or Elijah Craig and just lament that it's not Stagg.

ggilbertva
04-13-2007, 09:54
Let's not forget that the '07 release of BTAC is just 5-6 months away. I'm sure, based on BT historical greatness with this collection, that the '07 Stagg will be wonderful. So, drink up and enjoy.

zdevin
04-13-2007, 10:50
I wonder how long the antique colletion will be around (forever I hope)... and how long before the prices shoot through the roof? Right now at $60-$70/bottle the Stagg is a bargain... Last year it went up $10/bottle. Is that the beginning of a trend?

barturtle
04-13-2007, 11:55
In 2000 they retailed for $39.99...it's inevitable that the price will continue to rise, corn prices rise, taxes rise, labor costs rise, taxes rise, power costs rise, taxes rise...and on and on....

tango-papa
04-13-2007, 16:40
In 2000 they retailed for $39.99...it's inevitable that the price will continue to rise, corn prices rise, taxes rise, labor costs rise, taxes rise, power costs rise, taxes rise...and on and on....

The proprietor of my local spirits shop now has a few bottles of the 2006 BTAC - specifically Eagle Rare, WLW and GTS.
Since I am the one who told him about them, my cost is/was $49 each - which is exactly $10 above his cost.
They are otherwise marked at $59 for Eagle Rare, $69 for WLW and $79 for GTS.

If he's purchasing them for $39 each, I wonder what the distributor is paying per bottle? :skep:

~tp

ggilbertva
04-13-2007, 19:58
The proprietor of my local spirits shop now has a few bottles of the 2006 BTAC - specifically Eagle Rare, WLW and GTS.
Since I am the one who told him about them, my cost is/was $49 each - which is exactly $10 above his cost.
They are otherwise marked at $59 for Eagle Rare, $69 for WLW and $79 for GTS.

If he's purchasing them for $39 each, I wonder what the distributor is paying per bottle? :skep:

~tp

$79 for GTS? Man-o-man. I was hestitating picking up the last two GTS '06 bottles sitting on the shelf of my local ABC. I guess now I'm motivated to pick them up at $55 a bottle. I have 1 '05 Lot B release and 1 '06 release sitting in my bunker.

tango-papa
04-13-2007, 20:05
$79 for GTS? Man-o-man. I was hestitating picking up the last two GTS '06 bottles sitting on the shelf of my local ABC. I guess now I'm motivated to pick them up at $55 a bottle. I have 1 '05 Lot B release and 1 '06 release sitting in my bunker.

Assuming all retailers are paying the same from all distributors, your retailer would be making $16 per bottle on the GTS. I'd say that's an OK price.

For the record, having tasted the GTS, I would be willing to pay up to $65 per bottle without hesitation. I wouldn't pay $79 and do appreciate my local retailer taking good care of me at $49 per bottle.

My bunker stash of GTS mirrors yours. I'll be adding 2 more 2006 GTS bottles to it over the next few weeks.

~tp

Pappy's Friend
04-13-2007, 22:02
This evening, I picked up my first bottle of Lot B. I'm starting my evening off with my first ever taste of this exceptionally fine bourbon! After I finish this pour, it's on to a pour of BTEC Twice Barreled.

Pappy's Friend
04-13-2007, 22:17
Wow - this BTEC Twice Barreled is quite tasty - caramel with a hint of cinnamon!

CrispyCritter
04-13-2007, 22:56
I started by finishing off my open bottle of ER101, and then opened my bottle of Knob Creek - my first KC in a while. I'm picking up caramel, nuts, some rye spiciness, and a bit of the Beam yeast bite. I'm glad I bought this...

barturtle
04-14-2007, 00:39
Went out this evening to one of the local (in Louisville) watering holes, had a Vintage 17yo and a Corner Creek. My friend Mary came down from her studies at IU and joined me, she had a PVW 15 and a Rare Breed...ah the joys of being home for Spring Break!

Old Lamplighter
04-14-2007, 01:11
Well, looks like we are in monsoon season down here in western Tennessee. To usher out what has been a not-so-good Friday-the-13th, I started out by opening my brand new bottle of Weller 12 and enjoying a nice, smooth pour. Followed with ERSB/90 - something about a rainy night always makes me want Eagle Rare. Proceeded forth with a nice sampling of Blanton's followed by some good ole tried & true WT8. Closed out the evening on a very high note with a nice little tasting of WT12. Enjoyed them all very much! Unfortunately, the night grows thin and time has arrived to call it a night......better day tomorrow.

mrt
04-14-2007, 12:15
Jim Beam White...I began with a bottle of Bud, though...

tmas
04-14-2007, 18:12
Tonight the wife and I are reaping the rewards of a well stocked bunker and the first spring buds of spearmint popping up in the garden!
Sipping on our 2nd Wt Russel's Reserve (Spear) mint Jullep! Lovely, a sweet nectar for sure, and the first of many Juleps to come! Tom V

ggilbertva
04-14-2007, 18:49
Sitting down to a movie and pour of Weller 107.

oldironstomach
04-14-2007, 19:59
$79 for GTS? Man-o-man. I was hestitating picking up the last two GTS '06 bottles sitting on the shelf of my local ABC. I guess now I'm motivated to pick them up at $55 a bottle.It's funny, but when I *do* see BTAC in an out-of-the-way town, I expect to find the retailer does a small enough volume that he's inclined to keep his margins up, but often that actual situation is that he's a whiskey nut and run slim margins on the good stuff, because he knows his reliable profits come from the bread-and-butter cheap stuff (aka lots of vodka).

So I was both surprised and not surprised to find a couple bottles of the '06 WLW and GTS selling for about $45 (thanks to a 10% off sale) in yet another distant Maryland town yesterday. Didn't touch 'em, because I still have some bunkered, but there are still bargains out there.

Me, I think I'm actually going to pour a bit of Maker's Mark tonight, to see how I feel about it nowadays. It's been languishing quietly in the corner ever since I started edu-ma-cating myself by reading the posts here! The other night, in the mood to retry the neglected spirits in my cabinet, I revisited a bottle of JDSB and found it thin and wan...sort of a distant cousin from a foreign land who dresses up like bourbon based on what he's seen on TV, but otherwise is just going through the motions.

wskybnt
04-14-2007, 20:09
I picked up my 3rd bottle of 06 GTS yesterday.... $46.75 out the door!! Same price for all the BTAC 06's... I got 3 GTS, 3 WLW's, 2 Handy's, and 1 ER, this year. All my local guy has left is a couple of Saz 18's and ER's

Tonight its ORVW 10/107, and then I think I will go to that Cheap -O- GTS :slappin:

ratcheer
04-14-2007, 21:45
Earlier this evening, while cooking fried crappie (a fish popular in the South) and hush puppies for my family, I had a couple of J.W. Dant BIB with Perrier. Deep South meets France! It was delicious - the flavor of the cheap bourbon held up wonderfully to the fizzy French water!

Tim

JDutton
04-14-2007, 21:51
I finished off a bottle of WT101, then did a blind taste test (monitored by my better half) of Jacob's Well, JB White and JB Black. Jacob's Well was the winner by a long shot. I don't understand why they stopped making it. I could hardly tell the difference between the JB White and the JB Black by comparison.

Jeff

T47
04-14-2007, 22:46
I am finishing the night off with some EC 12. I enjoy EC 12, I like the price and I think it has good flavor. I have trouble putting my finger on it, but as I sit and stare at the Tasting Vocabulary it is Licorice that rings the bell for me. Slightly during the taste, much more clear with the finish.

OscarV
04-15-2007, 16:35
Today I opened my Noah's Mill.
15 years old, 114.3 proof.
Batch QBC No 560.
Barreled April 12, 1990.
Bottled June 13, 2005.
This is one of KBD's "Small Batch Bourbon" collection, the other three are Rowan's Creek, Kentucky Vintage and Pure Kentucky XO.

This is more of the same, I mean that all the "SMB" collection has a sameness that I don't care for.
NM here is helped by the proof, the 114.3 does a decent job in hiding the taste, a bit to warm for me though, not that I don't like high proofs, I went thru a bottle Stagg a few months ago, except for one shot I had it all neat and enjoyed it a great deal.
But this NM is a tad to dry, with oak tannins, and one note I picked up was corn husk, not good.
I dilluted a shot down to 100 proof, (BTW that proof dillute calculator is great), and you could pick up a little sweetness, but it went away fast, overpowered by the dry oak.
I then tried it on the rocks, small sips, and more of the same, I went back to it after about 20 minutes and the ice had it watered down real good.
But it tasted like,.... dare I say it,... like Jim Beam!
I tried another taste and yup, JB, so down the kitchen sink it went.

Beam was selling bulk back then, and I know KBD gets a lot from Heaven Hill, but wherever they got this from I know why the seller wants KBD to keep that info quiet.

I don't want this post to be a KBD bashing report. So let me say there have been several KBD's that I have enjoyed, for example, Vintage Bourbon 17 and 21,(I still have the 23 unopened), and Black Maple Hill 11 and 16,(my 21 is also unopened), Kentucky Pride was OK to good, and The Classic Cask 13yo was very good.
But now I remember the Peter Jake's Private Keep, thumbs down, and the Johnny Drum 8yo which only a beaver could love.

Rughi
04-15-2007, 17:59
I opened a BMH 16 year bourbon a couple of weeks ago and had the same type of disappointments at first, except that it tasted too much of EC18, not Beam.

After drinking it down past the neck and letting it air for 10 days or so, it has started to become more complex and begin to impress me, and is much less a dead ringer for EC18 (which probably is its close cousin, actually).

I try to never make a judgment about a whiskey, especially an older one, until it has breathed a couple of weeks. I hope your Noah's Mill blooms for you.

Roger

ILLfarmboy
04-15-2007, 20:06
So far it has been a night of barrel proofs, two pours of '06 WLW and now a bit of Handy. Oh so tasty.

CrispyCritter
04-15-2007, 21:15
One pour of Knob Creek, and one of Rittenhouse BIB, both neat.

T47
04-15-2007, 22:14
Blantons. This one is ever changing for me. I find it a little subtle, and I cannot escape the sensation of carbonation when I drink Blantons. Something like ginger ale maybe, but for me it is always there. A nice smooth pour.
Here in WA. it sells for $51, which puts it in the same price range as Bookers, Stagg (When we can get it), and VW 15 (for slightly less at $47), ER 17, and Hancocks Reserve. I have yet to open my ER 17 and have not purchased a Hancocks Reserve yet.
I can only compare it to the Bookers, Stagg and VW 15 and I find it lacks flavor when compared to those. I won't give up on it, still have about 1/2 a bottle left and depending on $$$ and what I have on the shelf, I might replace this one just because of the unique packaging. That and I just keep thinking I am missing something...just on the horizon.
I have searched a little for Hancocks Reserve notes, it seems the $50.05 WA. price tag is a little high...I have not seen VW 15 here in a while, and will grab one of those as soon as I do, I really enjoy the flavor of VW.

OscarV
04-16-2007, 15:22
I try to never make a judgment about a whiskey, especially an older one, until it has breathed a couple of weeks. I hope your Noah's Mill blooms for you.

Roger

Thanks for the tip Roger, I was going to put it back on the shelf and forget about it. But now I think I will sample it once a week for a few weeks.

Pappy's Friend
04-16-2007, 20:04
This evening, it'll be a pour of Lot B, followed by a small pour of '05 WLW. If I go for a third pour, it'll be Weller Centennial.

TBoner
04-16-2007, 20:10
Boomsma Oude Genever while cooking dinner.

Homebrewed saison with dinner.

ER 10/101 after dinner.

Bedtime beverage may be required tonight: work is beating me up.

JeffRenner
04-17-2007, 16:23
Before starting dinner, I'm sipping a dusty bourbon - a 1988 (based on the embossed "88" on the bottom of the bottle) Bourbon DeLuxe from United Distillers. $9.89/750 ml in Monterey, California while visiting my sister.

What a whiskey. This spent a whole lot more than the nominal four years in wood, thanks to the bourbon glut of 19 years ago. Rich, lots of wood influence but not at all dry, all the components in their place, and seemingly a lot bigger than its actual 80 proof.

I added a splash of water to take it down to my preferred ~70 proof for sipping. (I know, blasphemy!)

Glad I have another bottle of this plus a liter from '90.

Now I'd better start chopping onions.

Jeff

ggilbertva
04-17-2007, 19:02
Pulled out a bottle I haven't visited in quite a while; Old Pogue. I forgot how much I liked this bourbon.

CrispyCritter
04-17-2007, 19:14
I'm starting out Tennessee-style with Dickel #12, and then I think I'll have a Rittenhouse BIB to follow it. I'm not sure about a third pour.

tango-papa
04-17-2007, 19:20
Another healthy pour of Lot B for me.
Lots of driving today and a nice way to unwind!

~tp

ggilbertva
04-17-2007, 19:20
I'm starting out Tennessee-style with Dickel #12, and then I think I'll have a Rittenhouse BIB to follow it. I'm not sure about a third pour.

Crispy,

I've been eyeballing the Dickel #12 for a couple of weeks now but haven't pulled the trigger on an actual purchase. What are you thoughts of this whiskey?

threejean
04-17-2007, 19:26
Found a bottle of JW Dant BiB today. I'd never even heard of it so i thought i'd give it a try. Turns out it was very nice, indeed. The place I got it from has several other labels I haven't heard of, so I'll be trying them soon. I know the Dant is no PPvW, but for $15 a bottle, it does the job just fine.

CrispyCritter
04-17-2007, 19:29
Dickel #12 is one fine pour. No burn to speak of, and I get hints of toffee, vanilla, caramel, and (perhaps by power of suggestion) a hint of maple. It's more sweet than spicy, and there's just a light touch of oak in the finish. Around here it's under $20 for a bottle, so it's a great value as well.

wingnut73
04-17-2007, 19:58
EWSB 96 neat. Man, I love this stuff.

Jazzhead
04-17-2007, 20:07
Yeah, Dickel No. 12 always hits the spot - think I'll try me some! \

Ive been sipping tonight from a dusty bottle of Kentucky Spirit, Barrell no. 1, Warehouse 8, bottled on 2-15-97, that I found in Gloucester City. I cracked this one a couple of weeks ago, and it's going fast. It is so rich and balanced, the flavor is overwhelming. Turkey's the best whiskey, and this is the best Turkey!

wskybnt
04-17-2007, 20:07
I am having a couple of pours of Weller Special Reserve. At under $15, I like having this one on hand....

Jazzhead
04-17-2007, 20:10
I like the Special Reserve, too. Never seen it in Jersey, though. I snagged my bottle from the legendary State Line Liquors, right over the Delaware/Maryland line off of I-95.

ILLfarmboy
04-17-2007, 21:35
A small pour of Dalmore 12 and then it's off to bed. Been a long day.

SBOmarc
04-17-2007, 21:59
OGD 114, then Weller Antique, followed by Thomas B Handy Rye.

All over the place with these 3 pours. Had to put one cube in the Handy, it was a bit overpowering. The nose doesn't give you a hint of that good burn.

Phischy
04-17-2007, 22:30
Well I'm drinking an ESB, from late last month when I brewed it up. Anybody else brew beer? I'd love to make bourbon but I don't have the patience. I have an Oatmeal Imperial Porter aging for another 2 months and it's killling me. No way I could wait 5 years for a bourbon!

any other home brewers?

Old Lamplighter
04-17-2007, 22:51
Enjoying a relaxing evening with Weller 12....nothing else necessary.

T47
04-18-2007, 00:08
Started off with some EC 12 which I always enjoy. Then finished with a pour of Lot B. Great flavor, wonderful finish.

Martian
04-18-2007, 03:13
I also opened a bottle J.W. Dant BIB tonight. I must admit that I was intrigued by the label and price. The local store just got these in. There is a definite resemblance to EC 12. The first few sips resulted in a little of that cooked veggie undertone finish that I've heard about with EW 1783. That odd finish was not there when I tried some more a few hours later. I'm sipping some right now and the odd finish is still not there. Interesting. This stuff is a steal at $15 here in Dallas.

TBoner
04-18-2007, 05:33
I went to a Scotch tasting last night.

Actually, it was a Scotch and chocolate pairing.

Had Dalmore Cigar Malt, Dalmore 12, Laphroaig Quarter Cask, and Laphroaig 10 with various Scharffen Berger chocolates. Pretty informative if you went in not knowing much about Scotch.

When there's free Scotch and little food, I usually end up overestimating my liver. But last night, it was a buddy of mine who got a little out of sorts. I'm feeling pretty good this morning, all things considered.

Oh, and the whiskies were all good. They quarter cask, in particular, I had not cared for when I'd tried it previously. Last night, it seemed spot on.

Anyway, I'll make it up to the Bourbon gods tonight.

Bob O.
04-18-2007, 11:26
A pour of BT followed up by a pour of Makers Mark. When the Makers is finished it will be replaced with Weller 12 and the 107. Haven't tried these 2 but am looking forward to it.

CrispyCritter
04-18-2007, 19:53
I started out with a pour of Jim Beam Rye, and then went on to open my new bottle of Bulleit, the first I've tried. Bulleit's high-rye mashbill clearly asserts itself - it would be easy to mistake this for a straight rye. The finish is quite long-lasting, with a clove/mint effect to it, and a bit of sizzle at the tip of the tongue.

ILLfarmboy
04-18-2007, 21:29
Just hanging out with my dear Old Grand-dad, bottled in bond that is....

Old Lamplighter
04-18-2007, 23:09
As mentioned in the % thread, I have reserved this entire evening for a good pour of GTS 131.8 over ice......very relaxing.

Bob O.
04-19-2007, 10:44
A pour of OGD 114 before dinner and WTRB after.

OscarV
04-19-2007, 15:42
Booker's!

This is my first one,
Batch No. B95-C-31
8 years 9 months old
126.0 proof

I have read that some find Booker's to be a high proof Knob Creek. I can't argue, I am still in awe of the fact that I like it and it is a Beam.
It is not overly complex, but it has several waves of flavor, vanilla and sweet corn and the taste stays with you a long time.
And for 126 proof, the lack of burn is remarkable.
This is already a favorite of mine.
I will now pour another and toast the memory of Mr. Noe.

TBoner
04-19-2007, 18:55
This started as a Manhattan w/ 2 1/4 oz. of HH 4/86 bottled in 1980. Added 1/2 oz. sweet vermouth. Then 1/2 oz. triple sec. Then 1/4 oz. each fresh lime juice and fresh oj. 3 dashes Angostura. 2 dashes orange bitters. Flamed an orange twist over the glass.

Yeah. It's pretty good. I'll be playing with the juice component, and may up the sweet vermouth next time, but it's a really nice drink.

ggilbertva
04-19-2007, 19:40
I'm boring....Lot B again. It was a toss up between ETL, Old Pogue and Lot B. It's been a long freakin day and I was looking forward to a nice dram of something.....

Gillman
04-19-2007, 20:01
4-grain vatting: Rittenhouse 100; Weller 107; Weller Louisville (the square bottle one, 10 years old); and some KC. It makes a very full, rye-accented straight whiskey. I am thinking of adding some BMH 18 rye for some additional age and depth.

Gary

wskybnt
04-19-2007, 20:55
Came across a store today that had a couple of bottles of RR101. I only got 2, I will leave the others there for a little bit.

But with one open, and never wanting to drink it, I was able to tonight. Man I like this bourbon.

JDutton
04-19-2007, 21:33
I opened my bottle of Jacob's Well a while back. Every time I try it I like it more and more. For now, its my go-to bourbon. Good thing I have a fairly decent supply nearby.

Jeff

Old Lamplighter
04-19-2007, 23:12
Now that I have secured a second bottle of the 06 WLW, decided to open the first one this evening. I have this funny rule that I never open a rare or semi-rare bottle until finding a back-up for the bunker.

This is some amazing bourbon! No wonder all the raving positives that have been posted here. WLW 06 is so good that it is making me re-evaluate the above-mentioned personal rule. What if I had never found a 2d bottle or even worse, something happened to me or this bottle thereby preventing me from ever enjoying it? Maybe not such a good rule :skep: ......well, at least not in terms of WLW 06.

WOW! - I may have to go back tomorrow and pick up that last bottle still on the shelf!

wintersway
04-20-2007, 14:18
WT101 - elemental and definitive.

ggilbertva
04-20-2007, 19:48
I'm changing it up tonight. Healthy pour of WTKS and Ginger Ale. Tasty! :yum:

Pappy's Friend
04-20-2007, 21:26
I just opened my recent purchase of Weller Centennial with a good pour. Such a nice way to start the weekend. I think I'll follow this with a pour of ORVW 10 year.

Old Lamplighter
04-21-2007, 01:10
Started out the night with what has become a favorite of mine - Ezra B 15. Next, back to my first bottle of WLW 06 that I opened just last night......very, very nice. Think I will call it an evening and let that warm Weller 'hug' put me to sleep for the remainder of the night.

mrt
04-21-2007, 12:55
Bulleit...

Jazzhead
04-21-2007, 18:24
I opened my bottle of Jacob's Well a while back. Every time I try it I like it more and more. For now, its my go-to bourbon. Good thing I have a fairly decent supply nearby.

Jeff

I agree, this is a bourbon that's gotten very tasty as the bottle has dwindled. Good stuff - I think I'll have a pour.

Jazzhead
04-21-2007, 18:26
I just opened my recent purchase of Weller Centennial with a good pour. Such a nice way to start the weekend.

Yeah, I've been nippin' from this stuff tonight too. I busted the cork off, and had to decant it, and it's been a royal pain in the ass.

But I like it!

CrispyCritter
04-21-2007, 22:05
I'm finishing up a Jim Beam flight - first the rye, then JB Black, now Knob Creek.

jburlowski
04-22-2007, 13:11
A high rye-content weekend: Bulleit, GD 114, and (wait for the boos and hisses...) Basil Hayden.

ratcheer
04-22-2007, 14:06
Right now, I am having a mint ju;ep made with Wild Turkey 101 and superfine sugar. I don't have any mint in my yard, so I used some sold as an herb, dried up and crushed, in a spice jar. Anyway, the julep is delicious.

Tim

Martian
04-22-2007, 17:41
I like Basil Hayden for a change. Light and elegant.

ggilbertva
04-22-2007, 18:45
Rittenhouse BIB and Ginger. The Rye and Ginger are fantastic together.

ThomasH
04-23-2007, 08:39
I had pours of St. Georges single malt, Olf Forrester 96 and Buffalo Trace. All excellent drinks. Nothing beat a good drink while working in the yard!

Thomas

granola82
04-23-2007, 14:49
I cracked open a VWSR Lot B for the first time. The reviews on SB.com have been glowing and it did not disappoint! It jumped right into my Top 5 list. Yum!

wskybnt
04-23-2007, 19:29
I cracked open a VWSR Lot B for the first time. The reviews on SB.com have been glowing and it did not disappoint! It jumped right into my Top 5 list. Yum!

Thats funny I am opening a new bottle as I type. Lot B is one of my top 5's too. Although my math is bad, I think I got about 10 or 12 top 5's..

cowdery
04-23-2007, 20:59
For several days, nothing but manhattans, first prepared by then inspired by Gary Gillman. Last night, Jack Daniel's Silver Select. Tonight, Old Grand-Dad BIB.

TNbourbon
04-23-2007, 21:05
For several days, nothing but manhattans, first prepared by then inspired by Gary Gillman. Last night, Jack Daniel's Silver Select. Tonight, Old Grand-Dad BIB.

Man, do I feel justified! I've been a Gillman acolyte for awhile now. That cat knows what he's about, don't he!?:bowdown: (Which reminds me, Gary -- I've got a surprise for you this weekend which is, like, cool, man!:grin: )

TBoner
04-23-2007, 22:01
Old Charter 12.

Now on to OGD 114 from late in the ND era. I can't say enough about how unbelievable this stuff is. Rich, powerful, and darn near perfect. I'm glad I have three more bottles in reserve, which will be consumed much more slowly than this one has been.

tango-papa
04-23-2007, 22:37
Tonight I enjoyed a healthy pour of 'gold foil' ETL. Then, I had another.:grin:
The 'legs' in the glass were an enjoyable sight.

When this bottle gets to about the half-way mark, I'm gonna open a 'gold wax' bottling and compare 'em.

~tp

tmas
04-24-2007, 10:34
I like Basil Hayden for a change. Light and elegant.

I'll second that. Tom V

Bob O.
04-24-2007, 11:08
Lot B for me. Good stuff.

Martian
04-24-2007, 12:42
OC 12. This is one of the better BT products I have tried. It still has a little of the BT mustiness that I don't care for. Maybe I would like the higher rye BT products better.

SBOmarc
04-24-2007, 17:54
Abstaining...

It was time. 3 days and counting.

ggilbertva
04-24-2007, 19:50
Small pour of each....Rittenhouse BIB and Pappy 15....oops...forgot I also had a small pour of '06 Stagg.

zdevin
04-24-2007, 21:09
I'm going on 7+ days of no bourbon. I made a bad decision and had a sip of Ancient Age on day 5, but didn't finish it. I'm really getting tired of this stomach flu. I've all but traded my bourbon for chicken soup.

ggilbertva
04-24-2007, 21:13
I'm going on 7+ days of no bourbon. I made a bad decision and had a sip of Ancient Age on day 5, but didn't finish it. I'm really getting tired of this stomach flu. I've all but traded my bourbon for chicken soup.

If the soup has too much burn, add a plash of spring water or an ice cube...:lol:

zdevin
04-24-2007, 21:20
If the soup has too much burn, add a plash of spring water or an ice cube...:lol:

I'm a purist and only add a splash of water if it's from the same spring as the source... and I have yet to figure out the spring from which Campbells gets their soups. :smiley_acbt:

Although, I must admit that after drinking my soup neat, I finally decided to set my standards aside and add about 50% water to the soup. This really helped bring the subtle yet complex flavors of the chicken to the surface while at the same time mellowing out the salty undertones.

gothbat
04-24-2007, 22:01
This is my third time drinking from my first ever bottle of OGB Bonded. I'm actually sorry I didn't try this one sooner because now I'd really like to do a side by side of it with WT101. I've read that this bourbon and the WT101 have a high rye content in their mashbill but I think it shows alot more in the OGB Bonded since it kinda reminds me of drinking straight rye (Admittedly, I've only tried one kind of rye.). As good as it is every sip disappoints me because it lacks the sweetness of the wheaters I've been drinking lately but this is not to say that this is, by any means, not a good pour.

V Smoothe
04-24-2007, 23:34
Back from a fabulous dinner and capping it off with some Black Maple Hill 16yr. Just a little, though. Busy day tomorrow.

I haven't had this in a while. Sweeter than I remembered.

Old Lamplighter
04-24-2007, 23:43
Tonite I am trying my hand at making a Sazerac cocktail for the first time. Looking back thru past threads, I kind of figured out a recipe using what is available here at the house - Angostura bitters, orange bitters, subbing maple syrup for sugar and of course, the straight Rye. First try was with VWFRR and it turned out pretty yummy & warm to the tummy if I say so myself.

Second attempt was made with Rittenhouse BIB and with a little stronger dosage of Angostura. Results were pretty darn good although I slightly prefer the VW Rye at this point. Wish I had some Absinthe or derivation thereof in order to be more true to the 'real' Sazerac of ancient lore.

Anyhow, it has been a fun experimenting just the same. I am not normally much of a Rye drinker so I usually to 'dress' it up a bit when I do decide to indulge. Most of the time it is ginger ale or club soda.......but, tonite I decided to try something new.

Gillman
04-25-2007, 05:00
Without the faint licorice scent, it is really an Old-Fashioned. It sounds like you made excellent ones. Any kind of licorice hint will do for the Sazerac, recently I used a locally made anisette, a sweetened licorice cordial. If you use that you may need to allow for its sweetness since some anisette is quite sweet. There is a well-known peppermint schnapps in the States (name escapes me for a moment) that might work too. Even dissolving some black licorice candies in a bottle of rye would work well (or say in some inexpensive vodka, and add a dash of that). The whole thing about cocktails is to improvise as needed but within the overall context of the drink. By the way I find maple syrup blends very well with whiskey, maybe because it is derived from trees.

Gary

HighTower
04-25-2007, 15:22
Revisited my Hirsch 16 Gold Foil. I try and like it, but I still don't. I got a nice hit of caramel, but that is the only good thing I got out of this bourbon. Maybe this is a bad bottle, although maybe it's just me. Cam and I went to a bourbon tasting a few weeks ago, and they had it at the bar we were at. I wasn't particularly fond of that bottle, either.

Scott

TBoner
04-25-2007, 15:43
Having a margarita right now:

1 1/2 oz. silver tequila
1 oz. triple sec
1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
dash agave syrup

Shaken and strained and very much hitting the spot right now.

It'll be Baker's from here on out, though.

ILLfarmboy
04-25-2007, 16:20
After putting a nice pork roast on the rotisserie, I made an Old Fashioned using Templeton rye. Though I think it's rather light for drinking neat I've grown fond of using it for this cocktail. I dare say I prefer it to Baby Saz.

Later with the roast I might have a pour or three of WT rye. I might as well, It looks like work will be rained out tomorrow too. This weather is beginning to put a dent in my bourbon budget.

ggilbertva
04-25-2007, 20:41
First time pour of Fighting Cock. For a younger bourbon, it's quite nice and very reasonably priced.

CrispyCritter
04-26-2007, 21:35
A pour of Fleischmann's Rye, then one of Bulleit, and now another Fleischmann's for a nightcap.

Bob O.
04-27-2007, 10:35
OW 107 followed by Makers Mark. I am really looking forward to picking up a Weller 12 since I am really enjoying the 107.

ggilbertva
04-27-2007, 18:38
Revisited my Hirsch 16 Gold Foil. I try and like it, but I still don't. I got a nice hit of caramel, but that is the only good thing I got out of this bourbon. Maybe this is a bad bottle, although maybe it's just me. Cam and I went to a bourbon tasting a few weeks ago, and they had it at the bar we were at. I wasn't particularly fond of that bottle, either.

Scott

Ok then, so I'm not alone. I had high hopes for the Hirsch but I can't be past the coppery taste. It's not a bad bourbon but I have others that I much prefer over the Hirsch. I hadn't had any in a number of months so I went back to it about two weeks ago and still didn't find it overly enjoyable. I'll keep working at it and maybe it'll "hit" me one day.....

Earlier this evening I had a nice pour of The Glenlivet 15 Year...I had a nice fruitiness to it.

wskybnt
04-27-2007, 19:52
Tonight, Four Roses SB. I got this bottle back in Oct, at Bowling Green. I like it a lot but dont know when I will be able to get some more so, I havent drank it much... too bad for me.....

TBoner
04-27-2007, 20:48
I had a terrible work week - I'm a teacher, and it's that time of year...standardized state tests are over (hooray for TX:rolleyes:), and it's not fun.

Anyway, I'm mixing cocktails, and plenty of 'em:

1. Pink genever - terrific, complex, malty-spicy aperitif
2. Negroni - also very complex, and a first for me. I think this could become a favorite.
3. Manhattan - having this right now. It's only so-so. I'm used to straight rye in these (at least at home), so this bourbon version is a bit too sweet.

Next up, it'll be some ND OGD 114 or WT Rye w/ a bit of dark chocolate. I should sleep quite well.

whiskeyhatch
04-27-2007, 21:08
I don't envy you, Tboner. Had a rough one myself. Bad weather and over time.... I feel like I haven't been home. Oh well. Laphroaig + Coldplay = Happiness. Tomorrow night... back to the grind!!

T47
04-27-2007, 22:41
I had the great privilege of being part of an escort for 29 Medal Of Honor recipient's who are in Seattle for an annual dinner. I was able to meet Robert L Howard, Michael E Thornton and Leo K Thorsness, three very amazing men. What stories they have. Tonight I open my Saz 18 to the 110 living recipients of the M.O.H., I was in the presence of greatness today and it was humbling.

:bowdown:

Old Lamplighter
04-28-2007, 00:45
After working a long day that went well into the evening, I will keep it simple and direct tonite: WT Russell's Reserve 101......another great WT product always welcome on my palate.

ggilbertva
04-28-2007, 17:31
Tonight is Rittenhouse Rye BIB.

OscarV
04-28-2007, 17:51
I started off with Dickel Barrel Select, sipped three shots neat.
Going for the gusto now, Dickel No. 12 on the rocks.

Jazzhead
04-28-2007, 21:11
I'm drinking Dickel tonight, too, along with some Ten High Ten.

HighTower
04-29-2007, 04:57
Last night it was Fighting Cock 103. I'm not a huge fan.
Tonight, it's my first try of (I felt obliged as SB.com member number 1792) Ridgemont Reserve. It wouldn't make a list of my favourites, but I cant say straight away it tastes like anything else in particular. It was good enough for a second pour :)

Scott

OscarV
04-29-2007, 06:08
Scott
Over in another thread, the Mashbill TOTM, Chuck said that 1792 was a "malt-heavy" bourbon.
It's a bit different.

HighTower
04-30-2007, 05:46
Cool Oscar, thanks for the info. It's good to try bourbons like this to get the different flavor profiles. I was about to order another bottle, but I think as a wheater fan I will get either Weller antique 107 or Weller 12...... any thoughts??

Scott

ggilbertva
04-30-2007, 18:52
Earlier before dinner, a small pour of Pappy 15. Now it's Old Pogue with my pipe sitting on the front porch.....

full_proof
04-30-2007, 20:49
My first try at Bakers. A little trepidation while opening this bottle as the cork was a little dry and started to break up as I opened it. All was well with a little luck and slow patience. I wonder if this is an older bottle. I don't know how to read batch numbers, but the batch no. is B-90-001. I bought this bottle as "a dusty" in a store that acquired stock in an older, "out-of business" store (there are some late 1980s and early 1990s EW Single Barrels in this store). What a great bourbon the Bakers is! I hate I waited so long to try this. I'll be buying another bottle of this--and soon.

wskybnt
04-30-2007, 21:05
WL Weller 12, found this stuff at a store across town. And before the first bottle ran out I found it again. Bout time to re-stock it...

Bob O.
05-01-2007, 11:34
A pour of Bulleit followed by a pour of EWSB '96.

ggilbertva
05-01-2007, 19:12
Weller Antique while watching some UFC....oh yah.

TBoner
05-01-2007, 19:18
WTRR101 right now.

But I think I may be following with ND OGD 114. One or both of these bottles may, unfortunately, be empty at the end of the night. Fortunately, I have more of both.

wskybnt
05-01-2007, 19:44
AH Hirsch 16yr. This stuff cost me like $91.?? out the door. I dont know if I will buy it again. I like it a lot but, that is Pappy 20 $$$$$

Dont get me wrong, I dont regret buying it. And recommend that if you have the chance to try it. Its great.

ThomasH
05-01-2007, 19:49
I am having some OC 12. One of my favorites for the money. I get a bottle everytime I go to Kentucky!

Thomas

TBoner
05-01-2007, 21:38
I did not in fact finish either bottle. But the back-to-back combination of WTRR101 and OGD 114 from ND is the most exquisite consecutive bourbon tasting I've ever done. I'm on cloud nine, and not because I'm a bit...er...tipsy.

CrispyCritter
05-01-2007, 21:43
I'm having a couple of pours of Jim Beam Rye to finish the bottle.

Old Lamplighter
05-01-2007, 23:06
Stuck in the WT mode right now.....vintage WT12 at the moment. Also, eyeing a half-empty bottle of Blanton's as a possible closer/nightcap. Maybe I went at this backwards......hindsight is telling me I should have closed the night with the Turkey.

whiskeyhatch
05-02-2007, 00:40
Cool Oscar, thanks for the info. It's good to try bourbons like this to get the different flavor profiles. I was about to order another bottle, but I think as a wheater fan I will get either Weller antique 107 or Weller 12...... any thoughts??

Scott

Hello Scott. Not sure if this was directed to a particular individual or the board in general. But what the hell, I thought I'd throw my 2 cents on this. To me, the Weller 12 is very good, but seems like an aged Special Reserve. The Centennial, well, unfortunately I have not tried it. But the Weller Antique... this one seems to be it's own animal. The SR in particular, and the 12 yr in general, both have a saltiness to the palate that I don't find appealing. (Although, I love the saltiness of Ardeg/Laphroaig/Bowmore.) But the Antique is a bold and flavorful whiskey that (when it seems to get out of hand at the 107 proof, can simply be tamed with a little spring water) packs a pleasant, smooth and wonderfully aromatic experience. So, for what it's worth, I'd say, 'Get the freakin' Antique.' But that's just my opinion.

HighTower
05-02-2007, 06:24
Kevin,

Yeah, it was for anyone, and thanks for your input. It is what I had in mind but thought i would ask the question. It seems Weller antique 107 it is!

Scott

nor02lei
05-02-2007, 08:31
Stuck in the WT mode right now.....vintage WT12 at the moment.

I have never heard of a vintage WT 12. What year is it?

Leif

Rughi
05-02-2007, 09:11
I have never heard of a vintage WT 12. What year is it?

Leif

I read Lamplighter's comment not to mean that it was year-stated, but that it was from a previous era when WT12 was released domestically, not just internationally. One can often determine what year a WT12 is from, but I've never seen one marketed as being from a certain year as do wines and sometimes Scotches.

Americans use "vintage" to mean "from a previous era" quite often. For instance, many second-hand clothing shops that sell goods from the '30s to the '70s will call themselves "vintage," and an old toaster or blender may be called "vintage" interchangeably with "retro."

Roger

jeff
05-02-2007, 17:59
Maker's Mark. It has been a while since I've had any, so I picked up a bottle at Sam's Club tonight for the discounted price of $20. I have to admit that I like this bourbon, especially during the warm-weather months, but it seems to taste even younger than I remember from a year or so ago.

cowdery
05-02-2007, 18:02
ETL (Binny's). Last night some Hancock's Reserve. Strong house style coming through, also in the BT brand, that "musty" quality that I like, but some don't.

BourbonJoe
05-02-2007, 18:03
but it seems to taste even younger than I remember from a year or so ago.
The "Beam" influence???????
Joe :usflag:

wskybnt
05-02-2007, 20:09
Started with Weller Centenial, had 1 pour left in the bottle. Now I am going to finish a bottle of EV SB 94. I got about 2 pours left in it. Wish I could find another bottle of this. I have seen a 96, but no others...

CrispyCritter
05-02-2007, 20:26
I began with a Rittenhouse BIB-based Red Hook, and I'm now sipping some freezer-temperature Boomsma Oude Genever from a chilled glass. I'm thinking of having some Beam Black for the closer.

ILLfarmboy
05-02-2007, 20:35
WT RR 101. MMMM MMMM gooood. Now I'm miffed all over again at the proof drop.

whiskeyhatch
05-02-2007, 21:34
Last night (forgot to mention): Bowmore 12 yr, Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Old Weller 107, Weller 12. (Had a very rough 2 weeks.) Tonight: Old Fitzgerald BIB with a splash of water. Not bad at all for the price. Wish there was an age statement, though... nice oak on the palate. (A novice palate that is.) Tastes similar to AAA... only better.

luv2hunt
05-02-2007, 21:36
Too Much!! :slappin::slappin:

gothbat
05-02-2007, 22:23
Even though I haven't finished my OGB BIB I picked up and am now drinking some Weller Antique 107. That's the stuff!

nor02lei
05-03-2007, 04:24
I read Lamplighter's comment not to mean that it was year-stated, but that it was from a previous era when WT12 was released domestically, not just internationally. One can often determine what year a WT12 is from, but I've never seen one marketed as being from a certain year as do wines and sometimes Scotches.

Americans use "vintage" to mean "from a previous era" quite often. For instance, many second-hand clothing shops that sell goods from the '30s to the '70s will call themselves "vintage," and an old toaster or blender may be called "vintage" interchangeably with "retro."

Roger

Thank you Roger. I have never heard the word vintage used in that meaning on any alcohol beverage before. Since it showed up an uncut 14 years WT a couple of weeks ago I though it might as well show up a year vintage as well.

Leif

TBoner
05-03-2007, 04:57
Too Much!! :slappin::slappin:

Tell me about it. :grin: I may need to take a couple of days off soon.

TN Colonel
05-03-2007, 10:08
I've been hooked on Evan Williams Single Barrel lately. I like the 96 better than the 97, and I latched onto a bottle of the older vintage last week. Guess I'll hit that a little bit tonight.

Bob O.
05-03-2007, 10:52
OGD 114 followed by a short pour of EWSB 96.

HighTower
05-03-2007, 17:08
I had some Blanton's Gold last night, and as always, it was nothing short of fantastic. Tonight, I am planing to have a whole lot more than that, I will update later!

Scott

ggilbertva
05-03-2007, 18:35
Took a night off last night...tonight is Fighting Cock.

Sycamore Tree
05-03-2007, 19:07
Old Overholt. Sweet as a watermelon, well sort of,...with a bit of stuffed leather couches in the finish
the dude on the bottle looks like a character from Old Maid.....

wskybnt
05-03-2007, 19:25
GTS '05 and '06, I cant tell a lot of difference between the two. Both are kings.

TBoner
05-03-2007, 20:12
Red Breast 12. This stuff is a bit too easy to drink. But it's terrific.

I almost always close w/ a bourbon. Tonight, I think it might be an Islay malt instead (I have Bowmore 12 and Laphroaig 10 currently).

whiskeyhatch
05-03-2007, 21:17
Old Overholt. Sweet as a watermelon, well sort of,...with a bit of stuffed leather couches in the finish
the dude on the bottle looks like a character from Old Maid.....

LOL. I love it! For 14 bucks you can't do better than Old Overholt.

HighTower
05-04-2007, 17:31
Last night it was Basil Hayden, Saz Jr, Woodford Reserve, Gentleman Jack, Rock Hill Farms (yum), Blanton's Original.
Needless to say, I slept well last night!:lol:

Scott

ggilbertva
05-04-2007, 18:33
Ah....Friday. Tonight, enjoying a pour of Lot B. Haven't had this in some time. Happy Friday everyone....

CrispyCritter
05-04-2007, 20:21
First I mixed a Martinez (Plymouth gin, Carpano Antica Formula vermouth, Cointreau, and Regan's orange bitters), then a pour of Fall '05 Stagg, and now some Domaine Le Basque 1982 Armagnac.

TNbourbon
05-04-2007, 21:20
Feeling a little Gillmanic tonight (or, maybe, just in need of a manic gill:grin:), so vatted together 1 oz. each of the nine Stitzel-Weller bottlings I have open, including:

Pappy 20 @ 90.4 proof
Van Blankle 12 @ 90.4
Old Weller Antique (tax-stamped Louisville) 7 @ 107
ORVW 15 @ 107
Barrel-proof S-W 21 @ 115.1
Old Fitz BIB 6yo @ 100
Weller Special Reserve (tax-stamped Louisville) 7 @ 90
Weller 12 (Everett's 16+yo) @ 90
Weller 12 (Cubacroc's 14+yo zoo bottling) @ 90

Combined, it works out to a mixed-up Van PappyWinkle 13.11-year-old/97.77 proof -- and has the prettiest golden-honey/straw color in the glass I've seen in a good while.
The nose is all cotton-candy sweetness, and the 'legs' in the glass are some great, sturdy gams indeed. On the palate, the alcohol all but disappears, leaving a light-brown sugar entry progressing to browned maple syrup. Only at mid-tongue does some oak arrive, offering not a minim more tannin than is necessary to preclude a cloying overall sweetness. Perhaps the only damage I did to those fine bourbons was to the finish, which is a bit short, but as sweet as any I've encountered.
Not bad at all, really -- I'm going the let the final 7-8 ounces 'marry' in the bottle for a few days, and enjoy it again.

wskybnt
05-04-2007, 22:06
Well TN, its hard to follow that. I am just drinking a couple of pours of Bakers.

Old Lamplighter
05-05-2007, 01:33
Well TN, its hard to follow that. I am just drinking a couple of pours of Bakers.

Indeed, hard to road to follow. As for me, I am thoroughly enjoying my first pour of RHF. As is the case with so many of the best things in life, my procrastination :rolleyes: is inexcusable and inexplicable!

cowdery
05-05-2007, 02:32
Ancient Ancient Age. Nice.

wskybnt
05-06-2007, 20:20
Thomas H. Handy. Got a couple of pours of this bottle left. Glad that I got 1 more before they were gone. Couldn't wait till Nov. for this one again. Do we know if BT is bringing this one back?

ggilbertva
05-06-2007, 20:29
Tonight, we held a bourbon tasting for our fellow Metro D.C. SB'ers. Here's a list of what we had for the tasting:

Old Forester 86 (1983 bottle)
Old Forester BIB (early 1980's)
Old Foreser BB 2004
Old Forester Signature
Old Forester 86

That BIB was fantastic...my favorite of all the samplings.

After that we had some Willet's Rye, 1959 bottle of Old Forester BIB and a SAZ 18. The OFBIB '59 was simply heaven....we all agreed...delicious.

jburlowski
05-06-2007, 23:33
Stopped in a small-town Wisconsin bar this weekend . Amazingly, they did hand-made KC mint juleps... potent and outstanding!

jwrussell
05-07-2007, 08:25
Had a couple pours of Eagle Rare 17 Year old from the 2006 collection yesterday afternoon. Good stuff. Sorry my descriptive ability isn't quite up to SB standards yet. ;)

OscarV
05-07-2007, 15:19
Black Maple Hill 14 year old, from cask No. 152.
Not bad, as a matter of fact it is pretty good.
I had a couple neat, now onto Old Grand Dad BIB on the rocks.
Monday can be a good day after all.

SBOmarc
05-07-2007, 16:14
Jumped back on the wagon with a sizeable neat pour of Saz Jr. Rye seemed to be a better way back in than Bourbon.

TBoner
05-07-2007, 17:25
A Sazerac will be first. Then perhaps a Manhattan.

ggilbertva
05-07-2007, 19:25
Old Forester BIB and a wee bit of dark chocolate.

Bob O.
05-08-2007, 11:48
Finished off the night with a pour of Bakers.

ggilbertva
05-08-2007, 19:49
Tonight I grabbed what was convenient at the front of the line.....Weller Antique 107

CrispyCritter
05-08-2007, 22:08
I began with a generous pour of bonded OGD, and now I'm finishing with a Canadian whisky, Forty Creek Barrel Select.

Bob O.
05-09-2007, 10:53
A pour of Bookers to finish the night.

ILLfarmboy
05-09-2007, 19:02
WTRR 101, and maybe later a Manhattan.

ggilbertva
05-09-2007, 20:14
Milk Shake.

TBoner
05-09-2007, 20:24
Dry martini w/orange bitters.

I think a pour of Wathen's '98 may be on-deck, unless I pinch-hit with VSOF.

bigtoys
05-09-2007, 20:36
George Dickel Barrel Select before dinner.

Bordeaux Bourbon
05-09-2007, 21:07
Last night...

2003 Haut-Bages Averous

Tonight...

Pappy 15.

Both were quite tasty. This is my first bottle of PVW15. I can never find it in the stores around here. I finally scored one last week. Best...bourbon...ever.

Barrel_Proof
05-09-2007, 21:20
I have a case of 2005 Haut-Bages Liberal on order, but have never had the Averous in any vintage.

Bordeaux Bourbon
05-09-2007, 21:38
I have a case of 2005 Haut-Bages Liberal on order, but have never had the Averous in any vintage.
I liked it alright. It probably could have done with another couple years in the basement. But I picked it up on a whim and wanted to drink it, so down it went. There was some good fruit there, but it wasn't very open yet.

CrispyCritter
05-09-2007, 21:55
First, I made a variant of the Red Hook with Rittenhouse BIB; as usual, I added a splash of Luxardo maraschino liqueur, but instead of using Punt e Mes, I used Carpano Antica Formula and a few generous dashes of Fee Brothers Old Fashioned Bitters. This has a different character from the Punt e Mes-based cocktail, as the Fee's bitters have a distinctive cinnamon/clove note.

As an aside, having tasted both Punt e Mes and Antica Formula straight up, there's a definite family resemblance, as there ought to be. Antica Formula has a slight bitter side to it, while Punt e Mes cranks it up.

I continued the Rittenhouse BIB theme with a Cocktail a la Louisiane - a definite favorite of mine. Think of a Sazerac with extra complexity - mmmmmmm.

A couple of ice-cold pours of Boomsma Oude Genever, enjoyed on the front porch, have finished the night for me.

wskybnt
05-09-2007, 22:07
ambian and a couple of pours for Welller 107. Looks like i am typing in 3d. Havent had this much fun in 15 yrs.

And let me say fot all th kids out there. Dont mix sleepiing pills and the houch.....

Bob O.
05-10-2007, 12:14
Rittenhouse BIB and Ginger...nice refreshing warm weather cocktail.

jburlowski
05-10-2007, 15:47
It's gonna' be a straight-forward WT101 night.

TBoner
05-10-2007, 16:11
A 1:1 vatting of S-W Rebel Yell 90-proof and BHC VSOF. All 90-proof S-W whiskey, and greater than the sum of its parts. I like it so much I vatted the remainder of both bottles (four pours each) at 1:1. That'll be a nice wheater to have on hand in the coming weeks.

whiskeyhatch
05-10-2007, 18:05
Old Fitz. Then Buffalo Trace. Then.... more Buffalo Trace. Accompanied by music from Underworld.

cowdery
05-10-2007, 18:07
I was out of town for a couple of days, with JTS Brown BIB in my flask and it's quite a nice whiskey, and an astonishing bargain for $8.99. It's not, unfortunately, widely distributed. I got mine in Louisville.

Before that some Wild Turkey 101, which is not hitting me right, though I intend to give it a few more chances. It just seems very young to me, sort of Jack Daniel's Black Label-like. I'm not going out on the ledge yet, but I'm concerned.

Also in recent days, AAA, which is lovely and sooooo Buffalo Trace-y.

Right now, Bulleit. A terrific whiskey.

jwrussell
05-10-2007, 18:54
Knob Creek tonight. I do love this stuff.

CrispyCritter
05-10-2007, 21:15
First, some Michter's US-1 Rye, and now a pour of Bulleit.

tango-papa
05-10-2007, 22:13
I was out of town for a couple of days, with JTS Brown BIB in my flask and it's quite a nice whiskey, and an astonishing bargain for $8.99. It's not, unfortunately, widely distributed. I got mine in Louisville.

Before that some Wild Turkey 101, which is not hitting me right, though I intend to give it a few more chances. It just seems very young to me, sort of Jack Daniel's Black Label-like. I'm not going out on the ledge yet, but I'm concerned.

Also in recent days, AAA, which is lovely and sooooo Buffalo Trace-y.

Right now, Bulleit. A terrific whiskey.

I happened upon, and purchased, a bottle of AAA 10 star, 90 proof a few days ago. The bottle is dated 98. Paid $12. Is this what you're drinking?
This will be my first AAA when I open 'er up.

~tp

Old Lamplighter
05-10-2007, 23:22
Opened up a brand new bottle of OC Prop Reserve tonite.....still working on first pour.....mmmm.....one of my favorites.

ggilbertva
05-11-2007, 06:23
Rittenhouse BIB and Ginger...nice refreshing warm weather cocktail.

I find the Rittenhouse and Ginger to be a really nice soda/whiskey mix. I've had that a number of time over the last few weeks....unfortunately, my Rittenhouse is getting low now.

ggilbertva
05-11-2007, 06:25
Last night I had myself some MM. A smooth bourbon that doesn't make you think about what you're drinking.

HighTower
05-11-2007, 07:27
Tonight I had my first try of Corner Creek. It's not available in Australia. My wife got me 2 bottles for my birthday (isn't she the best!).
I have quite enjoyed it so far...the color makes it look a whole lot more than 88 proof...

Scott

blux
05-11-2007, 09:59
Last night I had two pours of Blanton's. Tonight I think I'll have a pour of Ridgemont Reserve 1792 and one of GTS '06. But I'll know better when I'm standing in front of the bottles.

cowdery
05-11-2007, 17:14
I happened upon, and purchased, a bottle of AAA 10 star, 90 proof a few days ago. The bottle is dated 98. Paid $12. Is this what you're drinking?
This will be my first AAA when I open 'er up.

~tp

A common mistake. Ancient Age 10 Star is something different, though I'm not sure what it is. AAA stands for "Ancient Ancient Age" and says very prominently "Full Ten 10 Years Old." It is 86 proof.

It is also "Carefully distilled along the banks of the Kentucky River according to the finest old traditions."

bigtoys
05-11-2007, 22:14
After bbq'ing burgers for my son and his friends (I felt like Sponge Bob at the Crabby Paddy), one dad and a good friend came over for some bourbon. Finished off a bottle of Stagg (141.2 proof)--a couple of ounces each. Then we sampled some Weller and, honestly, were not thrilled with it. Being big PVW 20 fans, we had a sip of van Winkle Rye for a change. Small sips of Bowmore 12 for a little peat. Another dad came over and we had a little Pappy 23 yr old. Way better than last Friday night when I had to work!!

barturtle
05-11-2007, 23:13
Here I am at a Best Western, drinking bourbon in my room. This is unfortunately the wrong Best Western, in Jackson, TN, no Gazebo to drink in, no SB.com people to drink with. But I am enjoying some Jim Beam White 7yo on the rocks...not a bad pour after a long hot drive on a muggy summer night.

Tomorrow, home to Kentucky! For the whole summer!

Old Lamplighter
05-12-2007, 00:14
Old Charter Prop Rsrv follwed by RHF......doesn't get much better!!!

jburlowski
05-12-2007, 07:33
Weller Centennial followed by Bookers... summer finally seems to be here to stay!

Pappy's Friend
05-12-2007, 13:09
After dinner and a bottle of Merlot last night, my wife and I enjoyed a pour of Lot B. Truly wonderful bourbon!

tango-papa
05-12-2007, 15:20
A common mistake. Ancient Age 10 Star is something different, though I'm not sure what it is. AAA stands for "Ancient Ancient Age" and says very prominently "Full Ten 10 Years Old." It is 86 proof.

It is also "Carefully distilled along the banks of the Kentucky River according to the finest old traditions."

Chuck,
FYI - the label(s) on the bottle I asked about looks / reads as follows:

Neck label:
(Front) AAA, 750ml
(Back) UPC 80244 00753

Main label (top to bottom):
10 Star
Ancient Ancient Age
Full 90 Proof
Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
"Matured in charred white oak barrels for extra bouguet and flavor"
Distilled and bottled by Ancient Age Distilling Co., Frankfort, KY

There is no age statement.

Now I'm even more curious...

~tp

TBoner
05-12-2007, 15:27
I believe 10-star is a 6yo product. I see it here and there around TX, but it doesn't seem to be something any stores get with any regularity anymore. Haven't tried it. At $28/1.75L (haven't see any 750mL), it's not a bad price, but just barely too much to pay compared to other products I can get at that price.

EDIT: Right now, I'm drinking Brother Thelonious ale. Great beer. I had half of my 750mL with an apple, bread, and cheese for lunch. The rest I'm polishing off after ripping out some shrub stumps, trimming the hedges, pruning a few trees, and planting some herbs. A nice reward for my hard work.

I may get a short pour of BT going next to get me ready for dinner.

cowdery
05-12-2007, 17:20
Chuck,
FYI - the label(s) on the bottle I asked about looks / reads as follows:

Neck label:
(Front) AAA, 750ml
(Back) UPC 80244 00753

Main label (top to bottom):
10 Star
Ancient Ancient Age
Full 90 Proof
Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
"Matured in charred white oak barrels for extra bouguet and flavor"
Distilled and bottled by Ancient Age Distilling Co., Frankfort, KY

There is no age statement.

Now I'm even more curious...

~tp

According to the web site, (http://www.greatbourbon.com/ancientage10s.html) Ten Star is a six year old although, curiously, the web site illustrates the description with a photograph of the ten year old, so obviously the folks at Buffalo Trace are equally confused.

These anomolies evolve primarily due to distributor preferences, so the Ten Star is a 90 proof six-year-old while the ten-year-old is 86 proof and both are considered "Ancient Ancient Age."

CrispyCritter
05-12-2007, 18:15
I'm starting out with Four Roses Single Barrel, and then I think I'll go ahead and open my VWFRR "G" bottle and have a pour from it. Beyond that, I haven't decided yet.

ggilbertva
05-12-2007, 22:12
Tonight I hooked up with Scratchline in D.C. and had some samples of:

Old Charter 7 year
WT 8 year
J.W. Dant
Old Fitz BIB

we then went to dinner at Bourbon Rest. in D.C. and had a BMH 16 year.

tango-papa
05-13-2007, 11:23
According to the web site, (http://www.greatbourbon.com/ancientage10s.html) Ten Star is a six year old although, curiously, the web site illustrates the description with a photograph of the ten year old, so obviously the folks at Buffalo Trace are equally confused.

These anomolies evolve primarily due to distributor preferences, so the Ten Star is a 90 proof six-year-old while the ten-year-old is 86 proof and both are considered "Ancient Ancient Age."

I had checked the BT website as well, and was left scratching my head.
Appreciate the reply as always...

I look forward to being able to stock-up with KY only-ish bottlings, as you did recently, someday soon. It's unfortunate (for me) that I wasn't older when I actually lived in KY for 2 years in my youth - my dad (now retired Military) was assigned at Fort Knox... Oooh to have known then what I know now! :lol:

'Course, I would've had a bit-o-trouble buying as I was a little under-age...

~tp

OscarV
05-13-2007, 13:55
Actually last night, out of town guests in yesterday. They are into wine heavy, I've never had a bad bottle of wine that they uncork.
After dinner we got into my bourbons.
I had open,
Booker's
Noah's Mill
Old Charter 12yo
Black Maple Hill 14 yo

And I opened up my,
Pappy Van Winkle 15yo
Four Roses Single Barrell

We did not get to the Booker's (they had it before), or Noah's Mill (I discouraged it).
Of the other 4, OC, BMH, PVW, FRSB, the Four Roses was the hit of the night.
This was the first time for me and now I see what all the fuss is about. I have read about the floral tones in the nose, yeah they are there, very nice, and the warm spice went so well with it.

ggilbertva
05-13-2007, 18:37
Old Fitzgerald BIB (DSP16). Absolutely wonderful. I did something I almost never do....3 pours in one evening....

darkluna
05-13-2007, 21:45
I'm trying once again to get into this bottle of Very Special Old Fitzgerald (the current version) and not having any luck. Very underwhelming. Not entirely unpleasant, just nothing about it makes me want to reach for the bottle very often.

jwrussell
05-16-2007, 09:33
Another pour of Baker's, really liking this and really starting to recognize the relation to Knob Creek. Followed by a pour of ER 17. Bad idea. Should have gone with KC or another pour of Bakers. Just way to mellow of a bourbon to follow the Baker's.

cowdery
05-16-2007, 12:07
In fairly quick succession, I had some Wild Turkey 101, some Four Roses Single Barrel, and some Old Fitzgerald from a Monticello decanter, undated but likely from the 1960s.

As noted elsewhere, the Four Roses is most remarkable for its balance. It is very easy and pleasant to drink, very enjoyable, but with no rough edges some might find it slightly bland.

I continue to be disappointed with the current Wild Turkey 101, which I think has descended from a true premium to a still good but fairly ordinary standard, with some rough edges and a lot of growing up to do.

The Fitzgerald, bottled in a milkglass decanter with a cork-lined milkglass stopper, shows some damage but even with that it is a delight, rich and complex.

Bob O.
05-16-2007, 13:46
OW 107 as a warm up for the GTS. I assumed the GTS was a 2006 release but based on the 141.2 proof I find it is the Autum 2005 release. It is definitely amazing the drinkability of such a high proof offering. Next time will experiment cutting it. Good stuff!

OscarV
05-16-2007, 14:10
I'm trying once again to get into this bottle of Very Special Old Fitzgerald (the current version) and not having any luck. Very underwhelming. Not entirely unpleasant, just nothing about it makes me want to reach for the bottle very often.

Last year around Thanksgiving I opened my VSOF and had the same reaction as you described. I to was under-whelmed.
So later on when the "good" egg-nog came out I used the VSOF to mix with it, and in the words of Special Agent Dale Cooper, of Twin Peaks when describing pancakes, ham and maple syrup... "BAMM taste sensation!"

Wheaters are funny like that, I like them, but I don't think they are as complex as rye type bourbons.
But the next time I am in KY I am going to pick up a couple more bottles of VSOF for the holidaze.

Nebraska
05-16-2007, 20:06
I did a little re-stocking of the cabinet today. Tonight, a little Eagle Rare 101, 10 year old. A very inviting pour on a somewhat chilly night.

TBoner
05-16-2007, 20:58
ND Old Taylor (see Tasting forum).

Knob Creek.

Now S-W Old Fitz BIB.

gothbat
05-16-2007, 21:51
...some Old Fitzgerald from a Monticello decanter, undated but likely from the 1960s.

I have nothing to really base it on except Wild Turkey 101 but I always assumed decanters were different every year. Do you know if SW followed this practice or if they released the same one several times in different years? If the former then the whiskey was made in 1962 and bottled in (yup, you guessed it...) 1968, I'm not sure what seasons though.

As for me, some Old Weller Antique 107 tonight; it hit's the spot, as usual.

whiskeyhatch
05-17-2007, 21:58
Old Overholt. Tastes young (and is). Good body. Lots of flavor. This one is now my favorite bottom shelf. (IMHO, this is bottom shelf in price only.)

Hyperspace
05-17-2007, 23:34
KC 100
WT 101
Aldebaran whiskey :grin:

tmas
05-18-2007, 03:08
I continue to be disappointed with the current Wild Turkey 101, which I think has descended from a true premium to a still good but fairly ordinary standard, with some rough edges and a lot of growing up to do.

Chuck,
Any way to tell the current bottling of WT 101 from the previous ones, other than by taste? Tom V

snakster
05-18-2007, 07:17
Tonight shall be Thomas Handy Rye on an ice cube or two. Had some neat the other day right after a pour of Hirsch 16. Talk about two disparate tastes. Both very good, just in different ways (obviously). I am curious to see how the Handy tastes with some ice now.

jwrussell
05-18-2007, 08:58
Last night was the first pour out of my newly aquired bottle of '06 Stagg. Neat for the first couple of sips....whew, powerful! Added some water to it to tame it down some. Will try it with an icecube (or two) next time to compare the difference the ice makes.

I followed that a little later with a pour of Knob Creek over just a tad bit of ice. Amazing how subdued this seemed following the Stagg.

cowdery
05-18-2007, 17:24
Chuck,
Any way to tell the current bottling of WT 101 from the previous ones, other than by taste? Tom V

I don't drink it often enough to know how recent is this disappointing profile, but my guess is not very. The decline of WT101 probably parallels the rise of RR and the other premium expressions. I have no reason to believe the bottle I have is an anomaly. To clarify, I don't find it bad, and maybe my taste memory is defective, but I recall WT101 being more mature than what I have here.

ggilbertva
05-19-2007, 09:13
It's been a dry week for me but last night I managed to slip in a small pour of Old Fitz BIB. Wonderful.

darkluna
05-19-2007, 11:07
I definitely prefer the 2006 Stagg with a wee bit of water in it. It seems to call for it much more than previous years. Haven't tried ice yet, I like mine room temperature.

Last night was the first pour out of my newly aquired bottle of '06 Stagg. Neat for the first couple of sips....whew, powerful! Added some water to it to tame it down some. Will try it with an icecube (or two) next time to compare the difference the ice makes.

But last night called for Manhattans. AAA 10yr, Martin & Rossi (4:1) and a dash of orange bitters.

ggilbertva
05-19-2007, 21:21
Finished up a business meeting tonight with another pour of Old Fitz BIB.

Old Lamplighter
05-19-2007, 23:56
After another day at the races.....Pimlico, it is Rock Hill Farms for me this evening with perhaps a little room for small pour of OC Prop Rsrv before hitting the hay.

mgilbertva
05-20-2007, 12:23
Finished up a business meeting tonight with another pour of Old Fitz BIB.

Yum. Love that Stizel toffee-nut and fruit. I did that same, but that followed my first dram, Old Forester BIB from the early 80s. Creamy with warm, rich maple. Life is good...

Greg
05-20-2007, 16:50
Tonight it's Evan Williams 1995 SB....just a great bourbon!!