PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!

zdevin
04-11-2007, 13:26
I've been watching this site for awhile and just recently created an account. I've been drinking Bourbon for about 2 years. I got hooked after trying my first bourbon, George T. Stagg (Fall '05), straight. I'm still looking for my next pour that will be as good as the GTS.

mythrenegade
04-11-2007, 22:25
Welcome!

I am not familiar with that particular bourbon, but if you want to try a very complex bourbon that's not too expensive, go for a bottle of Elijah Craig 18yo.

Joel

whiskeyhatch
04-12-2007, 01:26
I've been watching this site for awhile and just recently created an account. I've been drinking Bourbon for about 2 years. I got hooked after trying my first bourbon, George T. Stagg (Fall '05), straight. I'm still looking for my next pour that will be as good as the GTS.

Welcome Devin! I have a very limited exposure to GTS but it has quickly found its way among my favorites. Maybe you'll find something as good or better, maybe you won't. But hey, it'll be fun looking, right! BTW, I just bought a bottle of GTS. I figure it's an '06 but I don't know for sure. Do you know how one can tell what year it is?

HighTower
04-12-2007, 03:01
you can tell by the proof....the 2006 is 140.6 proof.

Scott

ggilbertva
04-12-2007, 09:03
If not for the dozen or so other bourbon purchases I've made over the last week, I would have picked up the two lonely bottles of GTS hazmat sitting on the shelf of my local ABC. I stood there for a couple minutes contemplating but then walked out. I told the store clerk I couldn't believe they were still sitting on the shelf and he stated that nobody wants to buy them. :bigeyes:

The store is in an area where I believe the local population are not going for premium bourbons but the typical JB White, Jack, Turkey 80, etc.

I'll have to wait until my pocket book (and my wife) can stand another purchase. :banghead:

TNbourbon
04-12-2007, 09:26
...two lonely bottles of GTS hazmat sitting on the shelf of my local ABC...

HazMat (2003), HazMat II (Fall 2005), or HazMat III (2006)? The 2006 Stagg is still available sporadically around here, but the older two would be rare finds indeed.

whiskeyhatch
04-12-2007, 10:46
you can tell by the proof....the 2006 is 140.6 proof.

Scott

I do indeed have an '06. Thank you, Scott.

zdevin
04-12-2007, 15:01
All of this talking has made me thirsty!

All of you Stagg fans out there---how do you prefer to drink it?

jburlowski
04-12-2007, 17:26
All of this talking has made me thirsty!

All of you Stagg fans out there---how do you prefer to drink it?

Usually from a glass... although occasionally from the bottle (brown paper bag optional).

Seriously... I add a bit of spring water. It opens up the spirit considerably and the slightly lower proof doesn't numb the taste buds to the point that you can't fully appreciate the rich flavor.

ggilbertva
04-12-2007, 19:01
HazMat (2003), HazMat II (Fall 2005), or HazMat III (2006)? The 2006 Stagg is still available sporadically around here, but the older two would be rare finds indeed.

Ah, my bad. That would Hazmat III. Here in VA, all the BTAC '06 series are pretty much gone. The exception being one or two stores that may have a lone bottle or two. My brother called the central distribution office for ABC and asked them if they had any more Saz 18. They said they had one bottle left in the State. We made arrangements to pick it up of course. I may break down and go pick up those two gems before they are gone.

tango-papa
04-12-2007, 22:56
If not for the dozen or so other bourbon purchases I've made over the last week, I would have picked up the two lonely bottles of GTS hazmat sitting on the shelf of my local ABC. I stood there for a couple minutes contemplating but then walked out. I told the store clerk I couldn't believe they were still sitting on the shelf and he stated that nobody wants to buy them. :bigeyes:

The store is in an area where I believe the local population are not going for premium bourbons but the typical JB White, Jack, Turkey 80, etc.

I'll have to wait until my pocket book (and my wife) can stand another purchase. :banghead:

If you don't go back for them now, you'll never really know if purchasing them would actually earn you a dirty look or a beating from the wife.:skep:

But, think about how sad :frown: you'll be if they've already been adopted once you 'think' it's ok to go back for them.

Anf finally, let's face it, you're basically wrong no matter what you do - after all, you're a dude, and... you're married.:slappin:

Hey, I should know - married 14 years this summer.
Okay, okay, I'm only kidding... well, sort of...

zdevin
04-13-2007, 08:08
One of my favorite things about Bourbon, as a hobby, is that my wife won't touch the stuff---and because she's not even remotely interested in the stuff she pays little attention to the the stacks of bottles (and thus doesn't much notice when a new bottle slides onto the shelf). When I only had a couple bottles she'd notice, but now that I've got a dozen bottles it's all the same.

Whenever she walks by and I'm sipping on some she looks at me and says, "I don't understand how you can do that." But the best part is that she likes to kiss me when I've been drinking Bourbon. Her favorite---the George T. Stagg. :cool:

barturtle
04-13-2007, 08:48
But the best part is that she likes to kiss me when I've been drinking Bourbon. Her favorite---the George T. Stagg. :cool:

This is just a step or two away from her drinking your bourbon...better stop her...no more kissing the Stagg flavored lips:slappin:

HighTower
04-13-2007, 16:56
This is just a step or two away from her drinking your bourbon...better stop her...no more kissing the Stagg flavored lips:slappin:
Timothy is right.......warning bells are going off here, before you know it, you will come home and your bottles will seem that much emptier:skep:

Scott

ggilbertva
04-16-2007, 19:03
If you don't go back for them now, you'll never really know if purchasing them would actually earn you a dirty look or a beating from the wife.:skep:

But, think about how sad :frown: you'll be if they've already been adopted once you 'think' it's ok to go back for them.

Anf finally, let's face it, you're basically wrong no matter what you do - after all, you're a dude, and... you're married.:slappin:

Hey, I should know - married 14 years this summer.
Okay, okay, I'm only kidding... well, sort of...

I broke down and bought the two GTS. I couldn't bear the thought of them sitting there on the shelf just waiting for someone to give them a good home. I am glad to report they are snuggled up against my other two bottles of GTS...

zdevin
04-24-2007, 20:56
I broke down and bought the two GTS. I couldn't bear the thought of them sitting there on the shelf just waiting for someone to give them a good home. I am glad to report they are snuggled up against my other two bottles of GTS...

You have chosen..............

...........wisely.

4 bottles of GTS in reserve? I'm envious. I hope you enjoy them every bit as much as they deserve! My 2 bottles of GTS are jealous.

ggilbertva
04-24-2007, 21:08
Devin,

I ran across 6 more bottles last week but didn't touch them. Instead, I picked up a number of dusty's last Sunday to broaden my collection. The prize of course was the 1980 Old Forester 86; no UPC and no Gov't warning....

zdevin
04-24-2007, 21:14
I truly would love more bottles of Stagg to keep in reserve... 2 is not enough. Being in Kansas, and thus being 2 states away from the nearest Stagg distributor, makes it really tough to get my hands on the stuff! Every year when I put in my big order for me an all of my friends, it is always exciting to see the box arrive loaded down with so many bottles of Stagg. This year I got two bottles. Next year I'm going to seriously consider 3 or 4 bottles for myself.

There really isn't a great selection of stuff to pick from here in Kansas. I've been going into about every liquor store in my city, but the selection is fairly much the same 25 bottles.

ggilbertva
04-24-2007, 21:28
Well, maybe you can nurse those two bottles until the Fall release of BTAC. If you're interested in a trade...PM me.