PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice...

jctrilogy
04-23-2007, 08:35
Hi,

I'm new to the forums, and to bourbon, as will probably be clear in about one more sentence and I'm looking for some specific advice about what would be a good choice to get me started. I'm looking to spend up to 50 pounds, but ideally less, on two bottles from www.thedrinkshop.com. So if anyone's willing to give me some advice it would be appreciated... the best thing would be for two bottles which are different enough to give me an idea of the range of bourbons available (if that's even close to possible from two bottles). From looking around the forums I've seen a variety of suggestions, such as Knob Creek, Wild Turkey, Bulleit, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig and Maker's Mark but I can't seem to make up my mind. I'm probably looking for one bottle of a more 'traditional' and typical bourbon and another of something slightly unusual if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Vange
04-23-2007, 08:38
One of my favorites is this one. Lot B.

http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpdetail.php?prodid=3759

barturtle
04-23-2007, 08:58
50 pounds is not a lot of money to play with, but you could get an Old Charter Proprietors Reserve 13yo and an Old Fitz 1849 8yo.

oldironstomach
04-23-2007, 09:40
On a tangent, this photo made me do a doubletake. ORVW10 in a 70cl Euro-size tall bottle, but using what appear to be the squat bottle labels!
http://www.thedrinkshop.com/images/products/main/975/975.jpg

ggilbertva
04-23-2007, 11:15
Well, if your 50p is somewhat flexible, there were quite a few nice selections on that site. If you want to try a Rye Bourbon and Wheated Bourbon, you have a nice Wild Turkey 8 Year 101 and the Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 year. Also, Elmer T. Lee is a nice sweet "dessert" type bourbon. Lastly, that Four Roses Single Barrel is very enticing at 29p.

cowdery
04-23-2007, 20:08
Get Bulleit and Rittenhouse and keep the change.

bobbyc
04-23-2007, 20:16
Get Bulleit and Rittenhouse and keep the change.

What Chuck said! You will be to one side of the spectrum,High Rye to Straight Rye. I guess you aren't going to stop there,you'll be back to fight another day.

mythrenegade
05-07-2007, 19:52
Skip the Bulleit and get Elmer T. Lee as a nice bourbon that will be very different from the Rye of the Rittenhouse.

Joel