PDA

View Full Version : Whiskey and Cheese

Sweetmeats
05-02-2007, 14:35
I always have loved cheese. I'm the type of guy who likes Cheese Wiz, Nacho Cheese and Velveeta though.

On a whim, I bought some Cave Aged Gruyère cheese. It was rather expensive but the words "cave-aged" interested me. I happened to be eating it with Wild Turkey 101 the other night and it was fantastic. It's similar to Swiss Cheese but on steroids. Anybody else here eat cheese while drinking whiskey? I know you're supposed to eat it with wine but I'm not a wine guy.

Here's the website for the cheese if anyone is interested.
http://www.emmi-kaltbach.ch/english/the-kaltbach-caves/

sku
05-02-2007, 14:52
I've enjoyed some of the British or Scottish cheeses with Scotch. Lagavulin with Stilton, Old Pulteney with Keene's or a Scottish cheddar are very good.

I would imagine the same would hold true with bourbon and some of the bold American cheeses that are out now, like Rogue River Blue from Oregon, Plesant Ridge Reserve from Wisconsin or Grafton's Cheddar from Vermont.

Gillman
05-02-2007, 15:07
I just had a Sazerac followed by some good aged Gouda and unpasteurised Quebec cheddar.

Cheese and whiskey go well together, indeed.

Gary

ILLfarmboy
05-02-2007, 19:43
Smoked Gruyere, and smoked Gouda are delicious accompaniments to any bourbon.

T47
05-02-2007, 20:04
We have a great pizza recipe from James Mcnair called Fire and Smoke. It has grilled Poblano’s and Jalapenos over smoked Gouda and white cheddar, its our current favorite off the grill. We have tried several different smoked Goudas, all with such good flavor.

barturtle
05-02-2007, 20:07
We have a great pizza recipe from James Mcnair called Fire and Smoke. It has grilled Poblano’s and Jalapenos over smoked Gouda and white cheddar, its our current favorite off the grill. We have tried several different smoked Goudas, all with such good flavor.

That sounds awesome! Where do I get this recipe?

CrispyCritter
05-02-2007, 20:11
I've had some Swedish cheeses (courtesy of a nearby IKEA) that went really well as an accompaniment to whiskey, or (even more so) cocktails. Herrgård is a favorite of mine, and there was another called "brännvins ost" (a sharp, somewhat cheddar-like cheese flavored with aquavit) that is sublime. Some slices of these, with some rye crispbread, make an excellent snack.

whiskeyhatch
05-02-2007, 23:11
Wow. I often wrap up my evening with some extra sharp chedder accompanied with slices of a fuji apple. Of course this is paired with whatever Bourbon I'm drinking that evening. Thought I was the only one.

BourbonBalls
05-03-2007, 06:39
I was with Julian Van Winkle at Bourbons Bistro once, and he said Aged Gouda goes well with his bourbons. Not Gouda, but AGED Gouda...

AND....he's right!

jburlowski
05-03-2007, 06:41
Al the other posts are great recommendations; particularly the aged gouda.

Let me add my favorite: I love the "triple-cream soft cheeses (try Bonne Bouche or a good Camembert) on a bland cracker. ETL is my favorite bourbon accompaniment.

jburlowski
05-03-2007, 06:45
FWIW, I just stumbled across this class on Amercian Whiskey and Cheese:
http://www.artisanalcheese.com/prodinfo.asp?number=17BOCH

Joeluka
05-03-2007, 06:45
LeNell has been offering a Bourbon and Cheese class. Here's the link: http://www.artisanalcheese.com/prodinfo.asp?number=17BOCH

I think the right cheese with Bourbon is close to perfection.( Beer and Cheese is GREAT too)

luv2hunt
05-03-2007, 11:12
( Beer and Cheese is GREAT too)

Now we're talking.....add a Bratwurst to that and I'd feel like I'm back home in Wisconsin!!
:woohoo::woohoo:

T47
05-03-2007, 16:43
That sounds awesome! Where do I get this recipe?
When in a hurry we just use a pre-made crust...

2Tof Pizza Sauce
2T Adobo sauce (from canned Chipotle chilies or more too taste. We add 2 T of the Chipotle’s chopped to the sauce)
6 to 8 Medium-hot chilies (We use 4 Poblano’s and 2 Jalapenos)
2-Cups freshly shredded White Cheddar
1-Cup freshly shredded smoked Gouda
1/4-Cup Fresh Cilantro

Roast the fresh Chiles (Grill over a fire until black all around and then place in a zip lock back to sweat for 15 minutes) Remove from bag remove skin and slice.

Cover your crust with the sauce, then add the cheese, then the sliced chilies. Bake per your crust instructions. Remove from oven and add the fresh Cilantro.

It's simple but has great flavor. We have tried a variety of chilies depending on how hot we want to go. The 4 poblano's and 2 jalapenos has been our favorite.

This is from James McNair's New Pizza Book. No longer published but you can find it on Amazon used. It has many easy and very unusual pizzas with great flavor.

barturtle
05-03-2007, 17:39
Mmm...I foresee some homemade pizza in my future. Thanks!

Sycamore Tree
05-03-2007, 18:22
Actually Whiskey is good with a lot of things. Like smoked fish or Caviar.
As far as cheese, I prefer the Gouda -Triscuit-bourbon, mix. the Other cheese usually begs for a Cabernet or a Beer. Of course Chedder and Queso is more appropriate with Beer. IMO.

Gillman
05-04-2007, 04:03
At the KBD Gala, cheese balls are a staple on the hors d'oeuvres table. They go well with whiskey on the rocks, I find. This is cheese softened and formed into balls or other shapes suitable for eating with a cracker or soft bit of bread. Bourbon is used of course for the KBF's recipe.

I once tried my own version at home with cheddar, paprika, butter, bourbon and chives and it was great. Using a blender makes it easy to do.

Gary

CrispyCritter
05-04-2007, 19:50
Now we're talking.....add a Bratwurst to that and I'd feel like I'm back home in Wisconsin!!
:woohoo::woohoo:

Mmmmmmm.... bratwurst. On last weekend's roadtrip to Wisconsin, I stopped at a little restaurant just outside Plymouth and had a genuine Sheboygan bratwurst, accompanied by a glass of Leinenkugel Honey Weiss. Damn, it was good!

tsh3406
05-09-2007, 08:39
Never having tried Gruyère cheese before, and loving Gouda, I had to rush to the Deli the other day to pick up some of each. Tried both with a little bourbon. Wow, that was almost damn sexual.

Sweetmeats
05-09-2007, 11:27
Glad I'm not alone.

luv2hunt
05-09-2007, 12:15
T M I !!!!!

tsh3406
05-11-2007, 10:01
Figure of speech, picked it up from a friend. You've never heard anybody say "wow, that was better than sex"? :cool:

jspero
05-14-2007, 09:14
Never having tried Gruyère cheese before, and loving Gouda, I had to rush to the Deli the other day to pick up some of each. Tried both with a little bourbon. Wow, that was almost damn sexual.

After reading about it here, I figured I'd give it a try. I don't know about "sexual" (what do you guys do out there in Missouri, anyway? :) ), but it was pretty darn good. I tried it with OGD 114 and the cheese seemed to compliment the bourbon well.

Jay

TBoner
06-03-2007, 13:35
One of my favorite writers is John Thorne, who has self-published a "foodletter" for almost 30 years, and has compiled his essays from that newsletter and some other writings into several books over the years. I recently found a first edition of the out-of-print (and pricey) Outlaw Cook at a local bookstore (for $11 - happy to brag about that).
There is an essay in the book entitled "How to Eat," in which Thorne details learning to enjoy food and to cook food. The beginning of that adventure, he writes, was consuming a "Plowman's Lunch" of ale, crackers, cheese, and thinly-sliced onions at a Greenwich Village brewpub. Later in the book, an essay entitled "The Plowman's Lunch" details his experimentation with variations on the four basic components of that meal. Various alcoholic beverages, artisanal bread, cheeses, and onion/pickled vegetables/mustards are discussed at length. The essay is a great read, and inspired me to spend my summer away from teaching on my own experimentation. I have had some very enjoyable meals in these two short weeks off (thus far). I hope to post more on combinations I enjoy, but in the meantime, the book is recommended (as are all of his writings), and I can say that rye whiskey seems to match up very well with soft, ripe cheeses, while bourbon (to me) cries out for aged cheddar and good hard cheese.
Regardless, there is tradition and good taste behind pairing whisk(e)y with cheese. Try it and be amazed.

jburlowski
06-03-2007, 14:56
The folks at Artisinal Cheese ( whom I highly endorse as a great place to orger great chesse) were nice enough to share the pairings that the y featured at Nells's:

Here are the pairings from last night:

Bernheim Original Straight Wheat Whiskey (90 proof)
PIPER'S PYRAMID

Old Gristmill Authentic American Corn Whiskey (80 proof)
SENTINELLE

Isaiah Morgan Rye Whiskey (80 proof)
ALP DRACKLOCH

St. George Single Malt (86 proof)
ISLE OF MULL CHEDDAR

Kentucky Bourbon Distillers' Vintage 21 Year Old Bourbon (94 proof)
ROGUE RIVER BLUE

Rittenhouse Rye (100 proof)
BERKSWELL

Please let me know if you would like any more information. Thanks so
much!

Best,

Jon Lundbom
Customer Service Manager
Artisanal Premium Cheese
500 West 37th Street
New York, NY 10018
212-871-3141 (ph)
212-239-1437 (fax)
www.ArtisanalCheese.com (http://www.artisanalcheese.com/)

mier
06-04-2007, 01:48
TBoner ,can you give me the ISBN number of the book?It has made me curious enough to read and try:cool: !Thanks,Eric.

TBoner
06-04-2007, 07:20
0-374-22836-1

There's a paperback available through Amazon from a seller in Maryland right now for $25. That's a good price.

Pastor Bourbon
06-21-2007, 04:00
My favourite cheese with Bourbon is a good crystalised aged cheddar; but at your suggestion I'll give it a go with a King Island Triple that I love with a good red wine.

mier
06-22-2007, 01:46
Surprisingly,Pappy van Winkle 15 yo with French Roquefort very smooth (cracker optional).Eric.

polyamnesia
11-03-2007, 11:46
funny, i just did this last night.

i was re-trying the original Bushmills (needed something light and different...and give my tongue a sort of breather) and, initially, was disappointed...at 80 proof, it is almost too drinkable. not bad. just not complex...or at least i wasn't catching it. plus, i haven't had irish whiskey in some time.

so i did the drop of water in it, sliced some Heluva sharp cheddar and some table water crackers (with poppy seeds AND cracked pepper!)...boy that combo with the OBushmills totally livened up the flavor and opened it up. maybe the tad bit of water helped, too. an apple slice, too, rounded out this "supper" very well! almost healthy...:rolleyes:

like this was meant to be savored WITH food. quite a surprise.
seemed like a perfect marriage. decent cheese and very good, reliable OBushmills.

in this instant, the whole became greater than the parts...! :)

fitzharry
06-28-2008, 19:13
I've been enjoying cheese and bourbon for years. One of my favorites is Dubliner cheese from Ireland or Red Leicester, served on crackers, and a glass of any good bourbon on the rocks, such as OGD 114. Now, if it's my favorite ORVW 10/107, then the bourbon doesn't meet ice, but I still enjoy it with the cheese.

Dr. François
06-28-2008, 19:54
I just had a Sazerac followed by some good aged Gouda and unpasteurised Quebec cheddar.

Gary,

If I ever got into the smuggling business, I would exclusively import your wonderful, unpasteurized Canadian cheeses into the USA. Forget cigars or high-flow toilets...I want the dairy goods. By worldwide standards, we only get the dregs of cheese here in the US.

Gillman
06-28-2008, 21:31
Jeremy, there are increasing numbers of unpasteurised cheeses made in Ontario, Quebec and elsewhere in Canada, and also cheeses made from heated milks. Even before that occurred (or was revived), there was good Canadian cheddar, e.g., Balderson, Black Diamond. But there must be similar and numerous craft cheeses now in the States, all those farms in the UP for example...?

Once I did a comparative tasting of Vermont, Ontario and English Cheddar (England is the originator of that style of hard-pressed cheese), oh we had one from New York State too.

They were all very good and different one from the other. The English one was best but it was raw milk and the others were not.

I find cheddar goes best with whiskey and Dutch cheeses do very well with it, as I had mentioned. Also, cheeses from the far north of France such as Maroilles and Mimolette go beautifully with whiskey - and beer.

Gary

ILLfarmboy
06-29-2008, 14:37
.....Black Diamond.....

I remember eating a extra aged white cheddar called black Diamond. I purchased it at Sam's (Sam's Club) about six or seven years back.

Your post reminded me of this cheese so I sought out the Black Diamond web site. Packaging, of course, changes over the years, but I don't see anything like what I remember on their web site.

The cheese was in-cased in a wax and in an all black shrink wrap. It was aged a number of years, I want to say "eight", but that doesn't seem logical. It was quite crumbly and had quite a bit of those crystalline formations throughout that I take it is a product of the long aging.

Was this a Canadian product? I liked it, a lot. But I haven't seen it for years.

Gillman
06-29-2008, 17:10
Brad, it's definitely the same maker. They developed certain packaging for the export market, hence the waxed wrapping, and that may explain why the products on the website look different than you remember. This is an old company, and it specialized early on in the export market.

This company, and Balderson of Ontario, made what I would call the classic Ontario white cheddar cheese. Pasteurised milk was used and because of long aging and other factors high quality was achieved.

Quebec also always made excellent cheddar (e.g. Mirabel cheddar) but Quebec always preferred a milder palate than English Canada in cheddar cheese.

I should say that IMO, sharp Vermont white cheddar is very similar to the best Ontario, and there is excellent New York cheddar too.

Today however we have raw milk cheddar (unpasteurised) and it can be very good and is almost a different product, very heavy on flavour and savour.

Cheddar is English originally, there was a county in England called Cheddar, and I have had superb farmhouse cheddar there, cut from huge rounds wrapped in cheesecloth.

Gary

dave ziegler
06-30-2008, 09:30
I like Cabot Cheddar Cheese with my Bourbon and a beer a great combo of 3! Cabot Cheese from VT makes some of the very Best Cheddars you can buy!
Dave Z
Old Hickory America's most Magnificent Bourbon
=======================================

rockporter
06-30-2008, 13:25
I second the vote for Cabot Cheddar. Actually, they have a version called Hunter which stands uo well to Bourbon. The other day we had it with a good strong mustard and some smoked fish along with MM on ice. A good way to kill a couple of hours on a dreary day.

dave ziegler
07-01-2008, 08:23
The Cabot Hunter Cheddar is one of my Favorites from them, their Extra Sharp is also wonderful. They have won many metals for their cheeses, I have been getting them before you could get them anywhere but in the Vt Area. They go great with Bourbon or Beer or both. I most times have a couple of Pretzels also with them.
I recomend anyone who has never had Cabot Cheeses to give them a try if they are sold near you!
Dave Z
Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
--------------------------------------------------

dave ziegler
07-01-2008, 11:02
The Cabot Hunter Cheddar is one of my Favorites from them, their Extra Sharp is also wonderful. They have won many metals for their cheeses, I have been getting them before you could get them anywhere but in the Vt Area. They go great with Bourbon or Beer or both. I most times have a couple of Pretzels also with them.
I recomend anyone who has never had Cabot Cheeses to give them a try if they are sold near you!
Dave Z
Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
--------------------------------------------------
Here is the web site for Cabot Cheese www.cabotcheese.com (http://www.cabotcheese.com) it is good stuff.
Dave Z
=======================================

dave ziegler
07-02-2008, 06:02
Brad, it's definitely the same maker. They developed certain packaging for the export market, hence the waxed wrapping, and that may explain why the products on the website look different than you remember. This is an old company, and it specialized early on in the export market.

This company, and Balderson of Ontario, made what I would call the classic Ontario white cheddar cheese. Pasteurised milk was used and because of long aging and other factors high quality was achieved.

Quebec also always made excellent cheddar (e.g. Mirabel cheddar) but Quebec always preferred a milder palate than English Canada in cheddar cheese.

I should say that IMO, sharp Vermont white cheddar is very similar to the best Ontario, and there is excellent New York cheddar too.

Today however we have raw milk cheddar (unpasteurised) and it can be very good and is almost a different product, very heavy on flavour and savour.

Cheddar is English originally, there was a county in England called Cheddar, and I have had superb farmhouse cheddar there, cut from huge rounds wrapped in cheesecloth.

Gary
Gary Have you ever had the Cabot Cheddar Cheese's they are wonderful and now that they come to Pa I get them all the time!
Dave Z
----------------------------------------------------

Gillman
07-02-2008, 08:33
Yes Dave, it was part of the comparative cheddar tasting I mentioned and was superb. It was somewhat similar to good Ontario cheddar.

Gary

dave ziegler
07-02-2008, 08:55
Yes Dave, it was part of the comparative cheddar tasting I mentioned and was superb. It was somewhat similar to good Ontario cheddar.

Gary
Then your Ontario Cheddar has to be world class stuff wish I could try it Gary, Thanks for getting back to me!
Dave Z