PDA

View Full Version : New to Bourbon

Sleepies
05-05-2007, 18:19
Hey all - I'm new to both Bourbon and this board. The derby got me thinking about Bourbon today - wondering what folks would recommend in the 20-30 range?

After reading the this board for a bit earlier today, I went to the local supermarket to see what they had. Got some Bulleit for about 22 bucks - sipping some with ice at the moment - tastes pretty good. And I've had Woodford in the past - the Bulleit is more to my taste.

Any suggestions?

One other question - I've purchased two separate bottles of woodford (maybe a year or two ago) - the two bottles tasted different. Is that to be expected with Bourbon?

cowdery
05-05-2007, 19:05
Hey all - I'm new to both Bourbon and this board. The derby got me thinking about Bourbon today - wondering what folks would recommend in the 20-30 range?

In addition to what you have already tried:
Eliajh Craig 12-year-old
Evan Williams Single Barrel
Eagle Rare Single Barrel
Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel
Maker's Mark
Ridgemont Reserve 1792
Knob Creek
Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve
Weller 12-year-old
Old Grand-Dad 114

After reading the this board for a bit earlier today, I went to the local supermarket to see what they had. Got some Bulleit for about 22 bucks - sipping some with ice at the moment - tastes pretty good. And I've had Woodford in the past - the Bulleit is more to my taste.

Any suggestions?

One other question - I've purchased two separate bottles of woodford (maybe a year or two ago) - the two bottles tasted different. Is that to be expected with Bourbon?

With Woodford, yes, but not with bourbon generally.

ggilbertva
05-05-2007, 20:16
Chuck has a pretty well rounded out list there. I would add Van Winkle Lot B (~$35), Fighting Cock and Weller Antique.

Sleepies
05-07-2007, 21:41
Went to the store and bought Makers Mark, Billeit, and WT Rare Breed. All good stuff. Thanks guys.

SlowEddy
05-08-2007, 15:18
Knob Creek is among the best Bourbons I've ever had. And I've had quite a few. As far as readily available Bourbon (not special order), Knob Creek is the smoothest. It's a little more expensive than Jim Beam and Wild Turkey. My second favorite is Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Excellent!
Did you ever notice how well Bourbon goes with popcorn? Ever since I quit smoking cigars and my pipe, I've been eating popcorn with my Bourbon.

HighTower
05-08-2007, 15:43
Did you ever notice how well Bourbon goes with popcorn? Ever since I quit smoking cigars and my pipe, I've been eating popcorn with my Bourbon.

No, I hadn't. Next time I go to the movies I may need to take a bottle of Booker's with me.:grin:

Sleepies, SlowEddy, welcome to the board!!

Scott

Bob O.
05-09-2007, 09:56
No, I hadn't. Next time I go to the movies I may need to take a bottle of Booker's with me.:grin:

:lol: I like how you think!

snakster
05-09-2007, 10:42
I'd add Buffalo Trace to the 'Bang for your Buck' list.